PDA

View Full Version : How To Guard The NBA's Best Scorers?

J4KOP99
02-10-2013, 02:55 PM
We all watch a lot of basketball, so I thought this topic would be fun. I will list a bunch of names and we can all discuss the best strategies in regards to guarding these players. You can use 1 v 1 situations and team situations.

Here are the players:

Kobe Bryant:

LeBron James:

Carmelo Anthony:

Kevin Durant:

Russel Westbrook:

Dwyane Wade:

James Harden:

* You can add any player to the list and talk about them if you would like.

Fired-Up
02-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Kobe Bryant: Strip him of a big man and let him shoot his team out of it.

LeBron: Get a healthy Dwight Howard

Carmelo: Same as Kobe

Kevin Durant: Get Physical. Don't let him get position

Russell Westbrook: Let him be an idiot

Dwyane Wade: Sag Off

James Harden: Just play straight up. He's nothing worry about.

ManRam
02-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Kobe Bryant: Pray he takes 30 shots

LeBron James: Pray really, really, REALLY hard

Carmelo Anthony: Pray his mid range shot is off

Kevin Durant: Pray really, really hard

Russel Westbrook: Pray that he falls in love with his jumper

Dwyane Wade: Pray that he falls in love with his jumper

James Harden: Pray really hard

That work?

;)

J4KOP99
02-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Kobe Bryant: Pray he takes 30 shots

LeBron James: Pray really, really, REALLY hard

Carmelo Anthony: Pray his mid range shot is off

Kevin Durant: Pray really, really hard

Russel Westbrook: Pray that he falls in love with his jumper

Dwyane Wade: Pray that he falls in love with his jumper

James Harden: Pray really hard

That work?

;)

Haha, I had a feeling I would get this response.

-Obviously I am not trying to imply that these guys can be shut down if you play them a certain way, but we can all admit these each of these guys have a few weaknesses, and some times, (albeit very rare) teams or players have been able to slow them down.

ManRam
02-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Haha, I had a feeling I would get this response.

-Obviously I am not trying to imply that these guys can be shut down if you play them a certain way, but we can all admit these each of these guys have a few weaknesses, and some times, (albeit very rare) teams or players have been able to slow them down.

No...it's definitely a good question. I'll throw my legit answers here in a little.

It's impossible to shut down some of those guys, but there are certainly ways to try it that are better.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Kobe Bryant: Strip him of a big man and let him shoot his team out of it.

LeBron: Get a healthy Dwight Howard

Carmelo: Same as Kobe

Kevin Durant: Get Physical. Don't let him get position

Russell Westbrook: Let him be an idiot

Dwyane Wade: Sag Off

James Harden: Just play straight up. He's nothing worry about.

Only 3 edits and I completely agree.

Lebron: gotta get physical with him as well. Difference in Mavs/thunder game plan.

Westbrook: Stop. Kevin. Durant.

Harden: don't let anyone else get hot, put a shot blocker down in the post. (Harden is at his best with a strong second option. Which I don't see in Houston right now.)

DumDum
02-10-2013, 03:31 PM
make sure you have a big pair "cojones" in your shorts

HYFR
02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
As a fan of the Knicks, melo has trouble against teams like Boston and Chicago who will just load up on his side and force him into multiple defenders

Bruno
02-10-2013, 03:59 PM
with all these guys, it comes down to team defense. individuals can't guard and of these players. it takes full team efforts to lock down these elite players. having elite defensive players in the post and savvy off ball defenders who can swarm, flirt with illegal defense and constantly double and tripple team (or at least pretend to while the offensive player is guaging and deciding his move/attack) is the most effective form of defense.

Hawkeye15
02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Kobe Bryant: Make him catch it as far out as possible, try not to let him back you down and shoot a midrange shot on you. He is older now, so his blow by threat isn't what it was, so try and be as physical as possible with him.

LeBron James: Until this year, I say sag off and let him shoot long 2's, or 3's. Now you just have to hope he is missing those shots, you really have no chance outside that. Limit transition opportunities.

Carmelo Anthony: Push him off that sweet spot he loves to catch around 18 feet. You have to hope his midrange game is off, and you want to force him right, and give him as many 3 attempts as you can.

Kevin Durant: Be physical with him, he is not strong, and try and get him catching the ball late in the possession, versus letting him square up on you.

Russel Westbrook: Limit his transition play, put a large guard on him, and force long 2's

Dwyane Wade: Don't allow penetration, force him to shoot jumpers.

James Harden: Use his patience against him, and don't let him get momentum into the lane, where he will flail and draw a foul or finish on your big.

This is how I would plan for them. Much easier said than done, you really can't STOP a scorer with one man, obviously you send help on each of these players outside Westy to me, funnel them into help and traffic, and try and make them uncomfortable is about all you can do.

Bruno
02-10-2013, 04:01 PM
As a fan of the Knicks, melo has trouble against teams like Boston and Chicago who will just load up on his side and force him into multiple defenders

agreed, and i'd apply this logic to every player on the list. LBJ is probably the best against this form of defense because of his vision and passing ability. but it would still slow him down as an individual scorer; maybe.

Blitzbolt
02-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Ask Tony Allen.

lakers4sho
02-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Kobe Bryant: white chick from Colorado
LeBron James: Delonte West
Carmelo Anthony: Honey nut cheerios
Russel Westbrook: Skip Bayless
James Harden: elbow

JNoel
02-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Westbrook is not a top scorer.

RenegadeRiot36
02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Honestly, the answer to pretty much all of these guys except Kobe, Durant, and Irving is to make them beat you with their jumpshot in a team setting.

Kobe: Good closing speed. Give him open looks so he starts shooting, then close in for the contest. It keeps him at bay.
Lebron: Sag off and make him beat you with his jump shot. I dont care how much its improved, its still the weakest part of his game.
Carmelo: Keep him away from the basket and crowd the 3pt line in his hot zones. Mid Range is your friend here.
Kyrie: Have a big shot blocker crowd the rim and play him tight everywhere else. He makes every jumpshot he takes and the only thing that ever bothers him around the rim is a great, tall shot blocker.
Durant: Get physical, which makes him hesitant to drive and hope he doesnt shoot over you all day.
Harden: Hes got almost no mid range game. Take away the 3 and crowd the paint to make him a distributor.

LAKobeBryant
02-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Kobe Bryant: pray for him to miss

LeBron James: sag off let him take 3s

Carmelo Anthony: pray for him to miss

Kevin Durant: pray westbrook don't pass to him

Russel Westbrook: pray that he take more shoots than kd

Dwyane Wade: sag off let him shoot 3s

James Harden: pray for him to miss

Raps08-09 Champ
02-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Kobe Bryant: Give him enough space when he's far out so he's inclined to shoot instead of drive. But not too much space where you can't contest. He'll probably just shoot 40% regardless if he shoots more than like 23 times.

LeBron James: Clog the paint

Carmelo Anthony: Just play him straight up with a defensive SF as big as him moving him out of his spots

Kevin Durant: Give Westbrook space to shoot.

Russel Westbrook: Just let him shoot.

Dwyane Wade: Let him shoot the ball from 18 out.

James Harden: Play him tight so he can't shoot and don't let him drive

LAKobeBryant
02-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Westbrook is not a top scorer.

He's ranked 7.

1. KD
2. melo
3. kobe
4. james
5. harden
6. irving
7. westbrook
8. LA
9. wade
10. curry

Hawkeye15
02-10-2013, 04:49 PM

you would pray for Kobe to miss, yet just sag on James, who is far superior of a shooter?

Hawkeye15
02-10-2013, 04:52 PM
do people realize on long 2's, and 3's, LeBron is better than Kobe, Harden, Durant, Curry, and many so called great shooters. I understand if your theory is to say, "oh well, may as well let him shoot outside versus the alternative", but the fact is, he is not stoppable currently, and if you want to say you would pray some other player misses, he better be on your list.

Ty_Lawson
02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Ask Tony Allen.

And Iggy

Minimal
02-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Yeah let him shoot 3s, 42% of which he makes:facepalm:

Hawkeye15
02-10-2013, 04:57 PM

I will never understand how people can't get by their own beliefs of a players weaknesses, when its proven those weaknesses don't exist anymore. Its the sports world, where reputations are hard to break, even when its right in your face.

JNoel
02-10-2013, 04:57 PM
He's ranked 7.

1. KD
2. melo
3. kobe
4. james
5. harden
6. irving
7. westbrook
8. LA
9. wade
10. curry

Based off scoring? Anyone in the league can score a lot, it doesn't indicate how good a player can score. Westbrook is way out of the top 10 when it comes to all around scoring.

GrumpyOldMan
02-10-2013, 05:13 PM
It's tough to stop any of Lebron, Durant, Kobe or Melo in particular as an individual. IMO you have to make life difficult for them outside and have help on their drives and make them give up the ball to their teammates as often as you can. Even with that being done they are hard to contain. They are great scorers.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Based off scoring? Anyone in the league can score a lot, it doesn't indicate how good a player can score. Westbrook is way out of the top 10 when it comes to all around scoring.

So he's not a top 10 scorer despite the fact he's scoring a lot of points while being guarded by a lot of great perimeter defenders?

Got it.

JNoel
02-10-2013, 05:37 PM
So he's not a top 10 scorer despite the fact he's scoring a lot of points while being guarded by a lot of great perimeter defenders?

Got it.
What? I'm referring to his horrible efficiency/terrible decision making. Are you saying that he is guarded by great perimeter defenders every game and consistently having great games? Your wrong if so.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-10-2013, 05:40 PM
What? I'm referring to his horrible efficiency/terrible decision making. Are you saying that he is guarded by great perimeter defenders every game and consistently having great games? Your wrong if so.

I never said that.

I said he's performing well offensively for the season while seeing a lot of great defenders.

Sactown
02-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Here are the players:

Kobe Bryant: Close out shooters man him up and make him score 50, be physical, he's much slower and can't blow by you

LeBron James: collapse in the paint and pray his teammates are off, make him pass it

Carmelo Anthony: play him 1 on 1 stick to shooters and try to get Melo sucked into hero ball

Kevin Durant: leave Westrbook open and hope he ignores Durant

Russel Westbrook: you want him to try to play hero ball

Dwyane Wade: Try to get him to ignore Lebron

James Harden: Man up, pack the paint, wait for the euro step

JNoel
02-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I never said that.

I said he's performing well offensively for the season while seeing a lot of great defenders.

You're wrong then. He's had many poor games that have caused the Thunder to lose games. If you compare his efficiency/advanced offensive stats with the other top 10/15 scorers, you will see where there's a huge difference.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-10-2013, 05:49 PM
You're wrong then. He's had many poor games that have caused the Thunder to lose games. If you compare his efficiency/advanced offensive stats with the other top 10/15 scorers, you will see where there's a huge difference.

I never said he hasn't had any poor games. I also never said he was a top 10 scorer also.

I just said that he's a good scorer because he produces a high PPG while facing solid-great defence, which you were arguing against.

JNoel
02-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Got it.

I never said he hasn't had any poor games. I also never said he was a top 10 scorer also.

I just said that he's a good scorer because he produces a high PPG while facing solid-great defence, which you were arguing against.
You basically insinuated he's a top 10 scorer in your first post as indicated above. Anyways I'll pull some games against not even top defenses for ya.

VS LAL: 6-22, 17 points L
VS SAC: 7-18, 18 points W
VS GSW: 3-16 10 points L
VS WAS: 4-17 17 points L
VS MEM: 6-19 17 points L

That's only a couple of games.

The games that he does score a lot in against good defenses, usually mean that Durant is being double teamed leading to West getting easy baskets. Other than that, he is just a terrible chucker...

xxplayerxx23
02-10-2013, 06:50 PM
oh loes, 5 terrible games, he SUCKS

xxplayerxx23
02-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Westy is a top 10 scorer easy. Top 3-4 pg.

b@llhog24
02-10-2013, 07:17 PM

I'd like to see what you describe as a "huge difference."

seikou8
02-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Westy is a top 10 scorer easy. Top 3-4 pg.

of course but he has his haters who only make threads when he has bad game

xxplayerxx23
02-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Top 4 scorers Ill do
Kobe-Do what Childs did back in the day.
Melo-Talk about his wife
Durant-Call him a skinny tall 2nd fiddle to westy he will cry
Lebron-Either talk about what west did to his mom or his hairline your choice
All 4 will have off nights.

LAKobeBryant
02-10-2013, 07:37 PM

taking high percentage shots doesn't mean he's a better shooter than kobe, durant, melo etc. 80% of 3's lebron take are wide open, do you see lebron go off with step back, cross over jumpers like harden, kobe, durant, wade the true shooters do?

LAKobeBryant
02-10-2013, 07:38 PM
you would pray for Kobe to miss, yet just sag on James, who is far superior of a shooter?

Lebron is a explosive player you rather get up to him and let him blow by you?

LAKobeBryant
02-10-2013, 07:40 PM
You basically insinuated he's a top 10 scorer in your first post as indicated above. Anyways I'll pull some games against not even top defenses for ya.

VS LAL: 6-22, 17 points L
VS SAC: 7-18, 18 points W
VS GSW: 3-16 10 points L
VS WAS: 4-17 17 points L
VS MEM: 6-19 17 points L

That's only a couple of games.

The games that he does score a lot in against good defenses, usually mean that Durant is being double teamed leading to West getting easy baskets. Other than that, he is just a terrible chucker...

That just shows to you he can put up those numbers on a bad shooting game. Chucker or not he's a scorer. I don't think that makes sense how you say durant is doubled and westbrook is open because westbrook is the second option. don't you think more times it be either ibaka or perkins open rather than the 2nd option guy?

crewfan13
02-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Here is basically what Luc Richard Mbah a Moute said prior to the Heat vs Mavericks finals (I'm too lazy to look for the video). Basically what he said for Lebron was give him a ton of different looks. Don't just give him the same looks over and over again, otherwise you'll basically run the risk of getting him in a groove. Luc Richard said one time you'll body him up and make him beat you off the dribble, then the next time you'll body him until he gets the ball, then immediately drop off and give him the jumper. You have to force him left one time, then right the next. Basically, keep him off balance and make him earn it from everywhere on the floor. He can score from basically anywhere, so don't let him get hot. Keep him off balance and make him keep guessing.

b@llhog24
02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
You should let LeBron shoot 3's. Don't really see how it's much of a debate. It's basically "let him shoot 3's and hope that he misses" or "let him drive in and wreck havoc on your defense."

KnicksorBust
02-10-2013, 09:10 PM
You gotta love that people are saying you have to guard Harden tight and clog the paint on him. Yeah, because that's easy. :)

Let's be honest. Most of these guys you need to send doubles and have quick rotating perimeter players.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-10-2013, 10:01 PM

No.

You were the one saying he's not a top 10 scorer even though he scored a lot of points. I was saying him scoring a lot of points against good defense are indicators that someone is a good scorer. You never brough anything up to that point about things that prove he's not a top 10 scorer.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-10-2013, 10:03 PM
taking high percentage shots doesn't mean he's a better shooter than kobe, durant, melo etc. 80% of 3's lebron take are wide open, do you see lebron go off with step back, cross over jumpers like harden, kobe, durant, wade the true shooters do?

So basically, your way of stopping someone is leaving a guy wide open when he's shooting well?

HYFR
02-10-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm loving the idea of letting these great scorers take uncontested threes wtf.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-10-2013, 11:08 PM
So who knew that wade actually did work with a shooting coach :)

Teeboy1487
02-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Kobe Bryant: Make him catch it as far out as possible, try not to let him back you down and shoot a midrange shot on you. He is older now, so his blow by threat isn't what it was, so try and be as physical as possible with him.

LeBron James: Until this year, I say sag off and let him shoot long 2's, or 3's. Now you just have to hope he is missing those shots, you really have no chance outside that. Limit transition opportunities.

Carmelo Anthony: Push him off that sweet spot he loves to catch around 18 feet. You have to hope his midrange game is off, and you want to force him right, and give him as many 3 attempts as you can.

Kevin Durant: Be physical with him, he is not strong, and try and get him catching the ball late in the possession, versus letting him square up on you.

Russel Westbrook: Limit his transition play, put a large guard on him, and force long 2's

Dwyane Wade: Don't allow penetration, force him to shoot jumpers.

James Harden: Use his patience against him, and don't let him get momentum into the lane, where he will flail and draw a foul or finish on your big.

This is how I would plan for them. Much easier said than done, you really can't STOP a scorer with one man, obviously you send help on each of these players outside Westy to me, funnel them into help and traffic, and try and make them uncomfortable is about all you can do.

Great post Hawk as usual. I'm just going to be lazy and go with this.

Minimal
02-11-2013, 12:05 AM
He has good shot selection that shows his high basketball IQ, and who cares if he doesn't do a triple axel before shooting the ball? As soon as he puts the ball in the hole with great efficiency, he is a great scorer..

P.S he has really great moves for creating a good shot for himself.

gwrighter
02-11-2013, 02:20 AM
Send a double team.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Lebron is a explosive player you rather get up to him and let him blow by you?

What I said, was, I get why someone would say, "let him shoot", but even that doesn't work now, despite it being the better alternative. I read someone say guarding Kobe is, "pray that he misses", when Bron is easily most unguardable.

Dade County
02-11-2013, 02:54 AM

****ing crazy...lol

jmoney85
02-11-2013, 03:25 AM
bring back hand checking.... this league got too soft

Dade County
02-11-2013, 03:54 AM
Kobe Bryant: Fake the double late, this will cause Kobe to hesitate and slow down his momentum... Have the main defender play him tight at first, then back off of him, giving him space to shoot. Kobe does sometime try to get his teammates into the game, playing him like I suggest will bring out the scorer mentality in kobe ...Bombs away... lmao

LeBron James: Switch up the defensive tactics on him every other time down the court... One position show the double early, the other play him tight with a big man waiting to protect the rim ( Lbj is a passer first ). i mean have one guy talking shot in his ear, while another defender, asking him for an autograph.

Carmelo Anthony: Double him late, put a tall defender on him and make him shoot tough shots.

Kevin Durant: Have a defender as tall as him and almost as quick shadow his right side, and force him to drive the ball, the defender job is to not let KD get the ball back into his right hand, while funneling KD into a big. ( if Kd gets a shot up, to me it's going in )

Russel Westbrook: Shoot the 3 west, just shoot the 3...smh Don't let him see a clean look from the elbow early in the game.

Dwyane Wade: Backup off of him, and hope his shot is off that night... Also show the double early sometimes, he will quickly pass it.

James Harden: Force him right ( which no one for some reason is able to do )... Show him different looks.

Jamal Crawford should be added too

iFYouSeekAmy
02-11-2013, 04:23 AM

hahahah wow.

You can't guard Lebron. he will out muscle you if you get physical. His shooting has improved so leaving him open for deep 2's and 3's won't help. He's quick enough to beat you off the dribble. You would have to get someone to double him to get the ball out of his hands, or hope he takes a contested off balance shot. He's also too good of a passer so that's another problem. Not so sure about the percentages, but have him take jumpers from the post.

you really have to hope the refs blow their whistle to your advantage.

Vancity
02-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Kevin Durant: Have LBJ guard him, he doesn't foul. ever.

Everyone:
Off-ball: Body him and make him work for catching the ball. Back off to goad him to shoot.
Position body heavy to let him drive with shooting hand, should give you a split second longer to make a contest at which you don't contest ball on Durant, Kobe, Lebron.. you aren/t blocking them tap non shooting hand elbow, hip, shield eyes or jab at face.

Have a big man playing the lane that supe is driving in a late double with the contest*

Pray their shot isn't falling. Superstars get to the line.

Just a suggestion to try-
LBJ: Shorter, quick guard, pest. If Lebron posts or backs in, send Double from guy guarding Wade and Guard Allen Battier from perimeter. Example.
Celts, Avery Bradley guards LBJ. Lebron then wants to shoot over him which is what we want.
If he posts, Pierce comes over to the body while bradley attempts steal or forces Bron to pass.

Or... KG comes to double, Everybody rotates. Heat play small. So Green taking the pass to bosh is fine, bradley goes for ball, leaves and then guards same side perimeter players and team rotates.

DumDum
02-11-2013, 04:09 PM

so the heat move the ball very well and lebron gets the ball when he is open and that's a bad thing right. what do you want him to do take 24 footers with 4 people around him when their is still 20 secs on the shot clock left