PDA

View Full Version : Jamison: MJ can still average double digits

feddi420
02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Michael Jordan has been retired from the NBA for a decade, but he warned at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2009 not to count him out from making one last comeback.

"One day you might look up and see me playing the game at 50," Jordan said near the close of his speech, eliciting laughter from the crowd in Springfield, Mass. "Oh, don't laugh. Never say never. Because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion."

Jordan turns 50 in about a week on Feb. 17. What would happen if he traded in his ownership stake in the Charlotte Bobcats for one more chance to lace up his Air Jordans in the league? Could he do it?

I wouldn't doubt that in the right situation with a LeBron (James) on his team or with a Kobe (Bryant) on this team, he could get you about 10 or 11 points, come in and play 15-20 minutes.

-- Antawn Jamison on Michael Jordan, who turns 50 on Feb. 17
"I wouldn't doubt that in the right situation with a LeBron (James) on his team or with a Kobe (Bryant) on this team, he could get you about 10 or 11 points, come in and play 15-20 minutes," said Antawn Jamison before the Lakers played the Bobcats on Friday. "I wouldn't doubt that at all, especially if he was in shape and injuries were prevented and things of that nature."

That's saying a lot, considering Jamison has Bryant on his team, and only averages 8.1 points per game in 20.5 minutes per game and he's "only" 36 years old.

Jordan averaged 20.0 points in 37.0 minutes per game in his 15th and final season in the league before retiring for good at age 40.

"He wasn't joking," said Jamison of Jordan's declaration at the HOF ceremony. "You hear stories still to this day, especially last year, him going to the practice facility and playing 1-on-1 with the guys and still they can't stop him."

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Matthew "Nat" Hickey was the oldest player in NBA history when he played one game for the Providence Steam Rollers at 45 years, 363 days old on Jan. 28, 1948.

Jamison, who used to play during the summer months in Chapel Hill, N.C., against his fellow University of North Carolina alum in Jordan, said the former six-time NBA Finals MVP has the confidence to pull it off.

"He still believes he can do it," Jamison said.

Even though Jordan is older than a lot of the parents of players in the NBA and hasn't suited up since the 2002-03 season for the Washington Wizards, Jamison said he still has a major impact on the league as he approaches his 50th birthday.

"The key is, that's the guy we wanted to be like," Jamison said. "This guy inspired us to try to do it all, the impossible and the man over there (gestures to Bryant's locker), he's trying to catch him so that just lets you know his impact is still felt and he's just done so much for this league as well."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/8931131/antawn-jamison-says-michael-jordan-a-solid-contributor-50

Discuss gentlemen.

RipCity32
02-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Lol,I doubt he could avg double digits right now,Crazy talk.

feddi420
02-09-2013, 08:09 PM
It's an interesting thought. I just thought of the Rocky Balboa movie when I read this. Would be pretty cool for him to make an allstar appearance or something.

jon32
02-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Be pretty cool to see him sign a 10 day contract or somthin

JNoel
02-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Easy for him to say...

Slug3
02-09-2013, 09:08 PM
He would have to sell his team first.

OceanSpray
02-09-2013, 09:14 PM
He's averaging double digits with the scrubs at Charlotte Bobcats, yeah. Must also have to do with Jordan being the one who pays them.

ManRam
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Sure...maybe on 15 shots a game for the Bobcats...

LAKobeBryant
02-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Be pretty cool to see him sign a 10 day contract or somthin

Why would he need to come back. He doesn't need to prove anything, 95% of the world think or knows he's best basketball player ever.

PleaseBeNice
02-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Enough MJ ****. Why does someones opinion on a retired player become a thread?

Lakers + Giants
02-10-2013, 12:29 AM
If Jamison guarded then yea, Jamison is correct.

Chitownhero1992
02-10-2013, 12:33 AM
I don't think MJ would be going for 20 or anything but I think todays MJ could still put up 10-12 a game for a team. The guy i'd have money on would be Reggie Miller, he could go for 15 or more just by running v-cuts and shooting...

WickedBadMan
02-10-2013, 12:53 AM
An MJ return for a game would probably have Super Bowl like ratings.

PC
02-10-2013, 01:01 AM
He might be able to but I can't imagine him being able to keep up defensively

GREATNESS ONE
02-10-2013, 01:02 AM
5 baskets? 1.25 buckets a quarter... Easy peasy.

GREATNESS ONE
02-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Especially MJ who went to the Free-Throw line if you sneezed on him.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-10-2013, 01:03 AM
I'm sure Jordan can still hit an open jumper. I wouldn't be supprised if he's still able to shoot his fall Away.

RipCity32
02-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Maybe he could just beat everyone down the court on his hover round for fast hoops.

Baller1
02-10-2013, 01:11 AM
I could see him competing.

PurpleJesus
02-10-2013, 01:37 AM
I think he could maybe go for 10 a couple nights...but no way he could average that

LAKobeBryant
02-10-2013, 01:42 AM
He can lead the team in scoring if he played on his own team

ThaDubs
02-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Mvp.

eibbor
02-10-2013, 02:12 AM

Probably not even then... but maybe for a stretch...

strahan92osi72
02-10-2013, 02:19 AM
He can probably still shoot, but come on, the guy is 50. He's a legend and the GOAT, why would anybody even entertain this. With the way some of these teams run up and down the court, how long before he collapses? Seriously, I hope MJ isn't considering this for real. Come on MJ, don't embarass yourself and become the Brett Favre of the NBA.

LakersMaster24
02-10-2013, 02:19 AM
:laugh:

I'd give him props if he scored more than 6 points against a decent defensive team.

Alayla
02-10-2013, 03:51 AM
This is the same sort of **** people said Just before his wizards return that he couldn't survive in the NBA anymore and he wouldn't be in shape came back and averaged 20PPG at 40 years of age i could see him getting 12PPG in a ray allen/Jrich sort of role as a Vet who mostly Takes 3 point jump shots your jumper only improves with age so long as you can well jump and if his conditioning is decent then that will be enough he has more experience and a wider pool of developed skills than most players in the game if not all of them besides Kobe and Duncan Today it wouldnt shock me if he got by on savy and jumpshooting alone.

PurpleJesus
02-10-2013, 04:17 AM
This is the same sort of **** people said Just before his wizards return that he couldn't survive in the NBA anymore and he wouldn't be in shape came back and averaged 20PPG at 40 years of age i could see him getting 12PPG in a ray allen/Jrich sort of role as a Vet who mostly Takes 3 point jump shots your jumper only improves with age so long as you can well jump and if his conditioning is decent then that will be enough he has more experience and a wider pool of developed skills than most players in the game if not all of them besides Kobe and Duncan Today it wouldnt shock me if he got by on savy and jumpshooting alone.

But he hasnt competed at a high level against NBA talent in 10 years...he may shoot around with his team from time to time, but he has not played at this level in 10 years. It would take him awhile for him to adjust those "savvy" moves against the competition...and he is 50.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-10-2013, 04:37 AM
LOLOLOLOL. He'd probably shoot like 3 for 15 in the league today.

But yea, we had this discussion about people overrating Jordan. This is one example.

3ballbomber
02-10-2013, 06:15 AM
As much as Jamison may believe his own statement this is perhaps more a form of respect he gives Jordan (or a knock on how soft the league is today). Unlike many young bucks who constantly yap negatively about a player they've only seen on youtube.

As much as i respect Jordan he doesn't exactly look in shape. But no way would i count out that he could give you at least 10 pts a night. Jordans will to win was perhaps his biggest strength.

c.c.
02-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Double digits in TO (and that's coming from a MJ fan)

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-10-2013, 11:56 AM
If Jamison guarded then yea, Jamison is correct.

lol, my thoughts exactly.

Rivera
02-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I think he could do it. No one playing in the nba has a higher iq than Jordan

He can still shoot

He practices and stays in shape against nba level competition

He obv can't carry a team. But if you pair him with lebron so lebron can do all the work your telling me Jordan can't get 10-12 points a night from brons assists on good percentages ?

I really think he could

BigCityofDreams
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
He's 50 yrs old folks. I know it's MJ and he can do anything he puts his mind to but double digits c'mon now.

ManRam
02-10-2013, 01:16 PM
He COULD do it if you gave him big minutes and a lot of shots.

Thing is, he'd be a complete liability. Dude needed 20 shots to get 21 points a game in Washington and that was 10 years ago! There's no way he's gonna be even close to a point per shot today. He'd need a lot of shots to even get to just 10. And defensively he'd get shredded...like, worst defender in the NBA probably. He might be in shape, but he's not in NBA gameplay shape. He's much bigger than he was, and there's no way he's half as quick as he used to be. People would run around him all day long.

He wouldn't be an asset in ANY role. He might still have a nice jumper, but if that's all you are looking from him why not bring Reggie back from retirement instead?

I really think you're crazy if you think he could average 10 points a game WITHOUT being a liability.

ManRam
02-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Meanwhile, Jamison has just earned himself a front office gig for the Bobcats when he retires...ensuring years and years more of losing.

Rivera
02-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Thing is, he'd be a complete liability. Dude needed 20 shots to get 21 points a game in Washington and that was 10 years ago! There's no way he's gonna be even close to a point per shot today. He'd need a lot of shots to even get to just 10. And defensively he'd get shredded...like, worst defender in the NBA probably. He might be in shape, but he's not in NBA gameplay shape. He's much bigger than he was, and there's no way he's half as quick as he used to be. People would run around him all day long.

He wouldn't be an asset in ANY role. He might still have a nice jumper, but if that's all you are looking from him why not bring Reggie back from retirement instead?

I really think you're crazy if you think he could average 10 points a game WITHOUT being a liability.

Being a liability and averaging 10 a game are two totally different questions

I agree with your main point but if you current mj on the heat and your only looking at ppg and percentages I think he could get 10 off of at least 40-45% based off the spacing miami can provide and brons penetration and constant double teaming

ManRam
02-10-2013, 02:56 PM
I think a lot of guys who have been out of the league COULD average 10 points if we're ignoring whether or not it would be a worthwhile 10 points. Give most any of those guys 15 shots a game and they could still get it. It just wouldn't be worth it...and it's no different for a 50 year old MJ.

Rivera
02-10-2013, 03:13 PM
oh it will be worth while manram. jordans last 2 points out of the 10 will be at the end of the game so lebron doesnt have to take that last shot to fail again :rimshot:

NJrockPD
02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
I would become a Bobcats fan.

STL Don
02-10-2013, 03:39 PM
If he signed with a really good team, was injury free and had the chance to get back into shape, you'd be a fool to think otherwise.

NJrockPD
02-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Imagine MJ signed with the bulls and got to sit back and hit jump shots, while D Rose drew defenders in.

Alayla
02-10-2013, 05:37 PM

This is fair the question is could he theoretically do it and i think he could even if he was say 40% from the field but its fair to say he would be poor on D and it wouldn't be worth it for him to be on the court other than novelty.

as for the bolded that would be awsome

MrfadeawayJB
02-10-2013, 08:30 PM
5 baskets? 1.25 buckets a quarter... Easy peasy.

exactly. I think quite a few guys could do this

ManRam
02-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Hell, I could average 10 points a game in the NBA if I took every shot.

I think there are tons of guys who are ~10 years retired that COULD average 10 points a game. It just wouldn't at all be worth it. MJ included. He's not helping a single team out if he comes back.

utl768
02-10-2013, 08:35 PM
he can still dunk with ease

obviously wouldnt be jordan but he would still probably be a useful player for someone

Big Zo
02-10-2013, 08:44 PM
He looks like he gained a pound or two since he retired...

Rivera
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
no you couldnt man ram you could take 50 shots in the nba you might make one

ManRam
02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
no you couldnt man ram you could take 50 shots in the nba you might make one

You're probably right. I'm just trying to make a point.

Any player who has retired in the last 10 years probably could average 10 points. Even the ****** ones. It's just, again, not gonna be worth it. I really can't believe people think he'd be an asset. There's no circumstance out there in which he'd be an asset.

JasonJohnHorn
02-11-2013, 04:31 PM
There was a poll on NBA.com asking if people thought Jordan could play. My honest answer is no. Not right now. Had he stayed in game shape, maybe, but even he came back the third time he shot his lowest FG% of his career and was far less efficient, and that was just a couple year out of the game. Now he's been out of the game for ten years. Your shot is something you have to work on constantly, it's not like riding a bike where you just hope on and you remember how to do it.

At 50? People use to talk the same way about Chamberlain when he was 50. Perhaps Chamberlain could have done it. there are athletes who compete at that age in other sports (or at least near that age). I mean, George Foreman won the heavy weight title at the age of 45. That means he was able to compete at a championship level at 45... and continued to fight until the age of 48. Obviously though, basketball is different, but considering that Foreman was able to compete with the best in the game at age 45 and managed to stick around until 48, I think it is fair to suggest that it is possible that a player in the NBA could play until the age of 50, albeit with limited minutes. Kevin Willis played until the age of 45. That's 22 seasons, and had he come out of highschool like LBJ, that would have given him 26 seasons!

I think that had Jordan not retired and wanted to play through until 50, barring injury he could have done it, but taking breaks off impacts your shooting. Jordan wasn't the same player when he played with the Wizards. There was a clear decline in shooting. He improved it the following season, but he wasn't where he had been.

Staying in game shape is key. Maybe Jordan has been working out? I don't know.

4milesperday
02-11-2013, 05:38 PM
MJ cannot even average double digits in minutes at 50 how the hell will he average double digit scoring? Jordan is not God you know?