PDA

View Full Version : What's with the lack of stars entering the dunk contest in the last decade?

rocketfuel
02-09-2013, 02:59 AM
Are they scared?

Fans used to be treated to Michael Jordan, Dominique, etc. Granted, James White and some of the lesser knowns will probably put on a great show, but you hardly ever see any of the best players enter the contest. We want to see some of the greats face off against each other.

BirdIsTheWord
02-09-2013, 03:56 AM
Because they're not the best dunkers? :shrug:

LakersIn5
02-09-2013, 04:35 AM
Because they're not the best dunkers? :shrug:

but its all star saturday night. not bench warmers saturday night

rocketfuel
02-09-2013, 04:38 AM
but its all star saturday night. Not bench warmers saturday night

lol. :D

JC_
02-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Honestly, I think Vince Carter broke the dunk competition when he did **** that no one can even come close to.

stawka
02-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Honestly, I think Vince Carter broke the dunk competition when he did **** that no one can even come close to.

Honestly, this. The dunk contest will never be the same again. Vince ****ed it. Learn to crawl before you walk in a sense. Gradually improve the dunks lol. Vince came in and started sprinting from the get-go

KingPosey
02-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Ego ego ego afraid to look bad by losing ego.

Ever since Richardson beat Geral Wallace by NOT doing the dunk he was assigned from the wheel stuff has been wrong. It's not Gerald's fault he did the dunk he was assigned.

Then DH won by throwing the ball in because he was a half a foot short of the rim from the edge of the ball.

c.c.
02-09-2013, 08:05 AM
They need to improve it or remove it!!!

Jesse2272
02-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Was Harold Miner/nate rob a star

they killed it

yes I would love a Nique/Jordan type showdown, but hey, Im privileged to see something like that and know it, not the norm

star power means nothing to me just crazy dunks

just my opinion

KnicksorBust
02-09-2013, 10:34 AM
It's all gimmicks now. If I'm LeBron James then I know I have to wear a blindfold jump over 3 midgets and dunk two basketballs just to impress people while Stevie Wonder is singing "We are the World." Not worth it.

waveycrockett
02-09-2013, 10:38 AM
The Dunk Contest needs to go away for a while. It's played out.

Spencesc11
02-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I would replace the dunk contest with an old timers all star game
(only former all stars) 2 - 12 minute halfs

This year go 92 Dream Team Style

East
Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Pippen, Laettner, and Ewing

West
Magic, Stockton, K. Malone, D. Robinson, Mullin, and Drexler

This would be fun to watch

Then keep the skills challenge and the 3-point shoot-out

Dunking is just not a big deal anymore so it just really doesn't do anything for the fans like it used to.

Sly Guy
02-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Honestly, this. The dunk contest will never be the same again. Vince ****ed it. Learn to crawl before you walk in a sense. Gradually improve the dunks lol. Vince came in and started sprinting from the get-go

yeah, he did. Dude shoved his arm down the rim. That's the dunk contest equivalent for making a girl gag on yo ****.

OceanSpray
02-09-2013, 02:02 PM
So you guys specifically blame LeBron James for not doing it but then you don't blame anyone else and ask to remove it? Just goes to show how much the media has influenced you to hate someone.

The dunk contest is finished. You won't see any new dunks because they've all been used. There is only so much a human can do with their body and unless they can start doing crazy spins with a 5 second air time, you're not going to see anything that we haven't seen before.

I actually think the dunk contestants this year are great. Wade did an amazing job selecting dunk favorites. Would love to see some stars in it but like everyone else knows, there is literally no incentive to do it anymore. When Jeremy Evans can win it, it just proves how irrelevant it really is.

DreamShaker
02-09-2013, 03:04 PM
I think guys just want to relax/party more on All-Star weekend. That's my theory. Plus teams want their stars to do the minimal in everything these days.

TrueFan420
02-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Part of it was that's how the young stars became stars now they're hyped up from the sec they walk in the league that they're already viewed as stars

stawka
02-09-2013, 05:27 PM
That's another thing, all these BS props has killed the dunk contest. It's just put on a little act then dunk it

Again, Vince killed it. People ran out of dunks to use so they started putting on capes and cupcakes on the rim. WTF?!

It's all gimmicks now. If I'm LeBron James then I know I have to wear a blindfold jump over 3 midgets and dunk two basketballs just to impress people while Stevie Wonder is singing "We are the World." Not worth it.

mdm692
02-09-2013, 05:41 PM
VC and J-rich raised the bar so high that it's nearly impossible to be up to those standards again. Although Iggy did a great job in the dunk contest but had the trophy stolen.

rocketfuel
02-09-2013, 07:08 PM
I hate it when Kenny Smith tells the dunkers they have to sell the dunks....so they make a big deal about a pretty average dunk. MJ, Dominique and Vince were just great based on their dunks.... not all this stupid stuff with putting on someone's jersey, etc. That should not influence the actual rating of the dunk.

aztr0
02-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Are they scared?

They are scared to get embarrassed. Some of them are in game dunkers, not creative ones. And the thought of failing to live up to the hype... some players can't stomach it.

OceanSpray
02-09-2013, 09:16 PM
I hate it when Kenny Smith tells the dunkers they have to sell the dunks....so they make a big deal about a pretty average dunk. MJ, Dominique and Vince were just great based on their dunks.... not all this stupid stuff with putting on someone's jersey, etc. That should not influence the actual rating of the dunk.

They are using props because there is nothing else they can think of these days. All the dunks have been used. Jordan's behind the free throw line dunk could be completed by so many players right now..

rocketfuel
02-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Personally, I always loved that helicopter dunk. It was done by a guy that technically wasn't a star.... that dunk hasn't been given enough credit. And it's better than alot of these candlestick birthday cake jumping over a car dunks.

asandhu23
02-17-2013, 05:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTM5u-Iu-x0

oh man. :drool:

asandhu23
02-17-2013, 05:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZsweUiWrB4

:)

DumDum
02-17-2013, 06:02 AM
Vince carter

rockbottom2010
02-17-2013, 06:37 AM
VC and J-rich raised the bar so high that it's nearly impossible to be up to those standards again. Although Iggy did a great job in the dunk contest but had the trophy stolen.

don't forget, nate robinson and dwight howard also set the bar high

sunsfan88
02-17-2013, 06:43 AM
They should make a rule that you could only participate in the events if your an All Star.

Makes sense, since it is "All Star Weekend" after all...

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-17-2013, 09:20 AM
don't forget, nate robinson and dwight howard also set the bar high

No......

Hustlenomics
02-17-2013, 02:45 PM
scared to lose

Fired-Up
02-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Because despite what the media shoves down our throats the dunk contest really isn't a big deal. There I said it. I blame the media for telling us part of MJ's biggest legacy is his dunk contest. That annoys me to no end. You have got to be kidding me. Anyone read the sports illustrated and the top MJ moment was the free throw line dunk? Ridiculous.

Guys like LeBron James know what's up. It's about winning games and winning titles. Nothing else.

NoahH
02-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Honestly it seems like the All-Stars would just rather chill on the sidelines and party, hang out with their friends / family and watch. LeBron gets so hyped on the sidelines just watching, but IDK..

kubernetes
02-17-2013, 06:18 PM
I've just gotten the sense that stars may compete once or so, but otherwise they've given up the floor to the youngs and unknowns. Maybe just an unwritten rule?

rocketfuel
02-17-2013, 11:00 PM
That's why none of these guys will ever come close to being on the level of Jordan. He was a showman and a champion. He wasn't there sitting, too afraid to live up to the hype. He came out and put on a show....and proved that he was the best. It should be called NBA All Fringe Saturday Night. I don't recall Dominique, Jordan and Vince ever needed 15 tires to make 3 dunks. Those acrobatic dunks were ones that those greats could do in their sleep, not something that was above thier pay grade. And, I just hate the TNT broadcasters. They're just so annoying. The dunk contest was so boring. I'd rather just see a replay of some of the Vince Carter, Jordan and Dominique dunk contests.

sventhedog
02-18-2013, 07:40 AM
players are probably hesitant because of the fear of losing especially in an era where famous players get bashed a lot in social media sites.

another thing is that players are running out of ideas to throw in.

i mean, seriously, that griffin car dunk is more like a chair dunk. that car hood is probably the lowest part of the car where you can jump over. and then now it's a kid? i understand if you want to entertain kids or make them part of the dunk. so what's next? dunking over a rabbit?? but not a regular rabbit, one that is dress in a small jordan jersey if that gives you extra points.

and what's with this "tribute" craze going on. if a player dunks with a normal jersey, he gets a 5. but if he wears a jordan or a wilkins jersey, he's supposed to get a 10 for the same dunk? i understand the respect to the greats but if you'll make it a major part of the dunk, what difference does that make? why not just carry a life-size replica of a great player while you dunk?

LA_Raiders
02-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I think is because all the circus show that goes with the dunks, and egos like LeFlop is afraid of losing.

PleaseBeNice
02-18-2013, 12:47 PM
The whole prop thing is sooooo played out. Kenny Smith only makes things worse when he starts yelling and hyping an average dunk. The Blake Griffin car dunk really, really turned me off. Iggy getting his trophy stolen really turned me off. I used to look forward to this contest. Every year i hope it gets better, but it doesnt. Jeremy Evans was a flop and his **** was boring. Nate Rob was painfully terrible to watch 3 times and his endless dunk attempts. D howard and his cape BS was ********. I wish they would improve it.

Bring some STARS in, or teamflightbrothers, or get rid of it

1-800-STFU
02-18-2013, 12:53 PM
We need trampolines and midgets. The next person should dunk a midget.

Or, dunk himself. Jump on a trampoline and go through the hoop himself.

Now thats entertainment

Tymathee
02-18-2013, 04:21 PM
It's all about money and marketing. Why do it if they aren't getting paid for it?

rocketfuel
02-18-2013, 04:54 PM
They don't need to invent anything new or add some gimmicky stuff to make it relevant again. They just need to bring in the great dunkers back. I agree on Nate Robinson---hated watching half a billion attempts to get that one dunk--I think he just got the trophy because he was short. And I agree that Kenny Smith ruins it by constantly yelling and hyping up the wrong thing, changing the focus of what is a good dunk. Blake Griffin is probably the best in game dunker in the league. His top 10 dunks are way more impresive than anything he did allstar weekend. You don't need a gimmick, you just need guys that can fly and bring it down with authority. Blake caught one ball in mid air and reversed it in a 1/10 of a second. I don't care what birthday cakes/airline stewardess/cutting thenet, they do, they're still not going to be better than the pure athleticism that Michael, Dominique and Vince did. Those were just amazing because those guys can really fly high. They probably weren't even the best in their arsenal, just stuff they could do before breakfast.