PDA

View Full Version : Hornets willing to engage in Eric Gordon talks

eternal slumber
02-08-2013, 08:28 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/02/hornets-willing-to-engage-in-eric-gordon-talks.html

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Stupid.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
They should look at getting Gortat for him.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
It just annoys me so much. You max a guy out and halfway through his first season he's in trade talks? That's piss poor management.

STL Don
02-08-2013, 08:36 PM
I could see Chicago or Atlanta seeking some interest in Eric Gordon, he doesn't seem to be the fit New Orleans was originally hoping for. He's a very talented shooting guard with big game ability, however, seems to be unhappy playing for a losing team.
Wouldn't be too surprised to see them pull the trigger this early in a deal that can get them back some talent/draft picks.

Stunner
02-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Bulls get on this now Deng and bobcats pick for Gordon and Smith

AsfanSince99
02-08-2013, 08:52 PM
It just annoys me so much. You max a guy out and halfway through his first season he's in trade talks? That's piss poor management.

You nailed it.

And Gordon even said he didn't want to play there; he was happy in Phoenix.

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 08:53 PM

Why would they need Gordon when Rose is coming back? Gordon sucks. I knew it from the beginning. He's overrated and was treated as a "great" player. There's nothing Gordon does that Westbrook, Irving, Rose, or even Parker can't do. He's overrated!

ManRam
02-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Gordon sucks? That's news to me.

When the dude is healthy he's gonna be a really good player.

This annoys me too. I think NOH could have something good going for them if they're just a little more patient, but I guess that's too much to ask for.

b@llhog24
02-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Bulls
Houston (unconventional lineup)
Pacers

would be great fits for EJ.

Stunner
02-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Why would they need Gordon when Rose is coming back? Gordon sucks. I knew it from the beginning. He's overrated and was treated as a "great" player. There's nothing Gordon does that Westbrook, Irving, Rose, or even Parker can't do. He's overrated!
They play two different positions , We need another shot creator and it becomes a half court game in the playoffs . Rose drives and kicks it out to Gordon for the 3 . These two played together a lot in the pass and expressed how much they like each others game and his it caters to each others strength . Thanks for your opinion though .

Stunner
02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Can't see Houston because Harden and Harden can't play the 3 .

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 09:00 PM
They play two different positions , We need another shot creator and it becomes a half court game in the playoffs . Rose drives and kicks it out to Gordon for the 3 . These two played together a lot in the pass and expressed how much they like each others game and his it caters to each others strength . Thanks for your opinion though .

Chicago is a defensive team. Eric Gordon has no defense. Deng is 10x better than Gordon because he can defend and create shots for everyone; including himself. Gordon does not pass, can't rebound, and is a below average defender. I'm sick and tired of the news regarding Eric Gordon. He's trying to get traded to a different team when he's the one playing terrible? NOH have underachieved this year. Austin Rivers, Anthony Davis, and Eric Gordon are all underachieving. The guy has played 30 games these past two seasons so far? He's injury prone and a liability for a team. If he wasn't injured, yes, he's a top 20 player. Since he's always injured, he sucks because he's useless. Shooting under 40%, crying about discomfort in NOH? C'mon, stop crying and focus on improving yourself.

BIG worm
02-08-2013, 09:02 PM
i would love the Bulls to jump all over this. He and Rose would make such beautiful music together. I would hate to lose Deng, but for Gordon i would do it.

bholly
02-08-2013, 09:03 PM

You nailed it.

And Gordon even said he didn't want to play there; he was happy in Phoenix.

I'm confused. You guys think good management is letting him walk for nothing, rather than a) matching the contract for what looks like it could be a top-5 shooting guard, and then b) worst case scenario (eg him sulking his way out of town) getting something back in a trade? Why?

b@llhog24
02-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Can't see Houston because Harden and Harden can't play the 3 .

They have a ton of assets, the cap space and whatever they lose in their passing efficiency, I'm sure they'll make up for it in overall scoring efficiency. Eh I just like unconventional lineups :)

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm confused. You guys think good management is letting him walk for nothing, rather than a) matching the contract for what looks like it could be a top-5 shooting guard, and then b) worst case scenario (eg him sulking his way out of town) getting something back in a trade? Why?

nailed it, was just going to say this

b@llhog24
Chicago is a defensive team. Eric Gordon has no defense. Deng is 10x better than Gordon because he can defend and create shots for everyone; including himself. Gordon does not pass, can't rebound, and is a below average defender. I'm sick and tired of the news regarding Eric Gordon. He's trying to get traded to a different team when he's the one playing terrible? NOH have underachieved this year. Austin Rivers, Anthony Davis, and Eric Gordon are all underachieving. The guy has played 30 games these past two seasons so far? He's injury prone and a liability for a team. If he wasn't injured, yes, he's a top 20 player. Since he's always injured, he sucks because he's useless. Shooting under 40%, crying about discomfort in NOH? C'mon, stop crying and focus on improving yourself.

Deng is many things, a shot creator he is not.

Stunner
Gordon isn't even playing his regular mins now and it's coming off Knee surgery , he's playing his way back . Gordon is a SG not a Point , yes he can pass but his main focus is to score . Thibs can help mold Gordon into a solid defender , he did it with Rose you're acting like Gordon can't improve him and Rose are the same age . A line up of Rose , Gordon , Butler , Boozer and Noah is good going into the playoffs . Bulls might be reluctant to pull it cu Deng has done so much but if he was traded for Gordon I wouldn't be Mad cuz he has potential to be a top 8 SG .

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Gordon isn't even playing his regular mins now and it's coming off Knee surgery , he's playing his way back . Gordon is a SG not a Point , yes he can pass but his main focus is to score . Thibs can help mold Gordon into a solid defender , he did it with Rose you're acting like Gordon can't improve him and Rose are the same age . A line up of Rose , Gordon , Butler , Boozer and Noah is good going into the playoffs . Bulls might be reluctant to pull it cu Deng has done so much but if he was traded for Gordon I wouldn't be Mad cuz he has potential to be a top 8 SG .

A top 8 SG isn't even good. With the lack of SG's today, Wade, Kobe, Harden, he should be top 5.
Look, you take out Deng, you take out the player who defends Melo, LeBron, and Durant. You put in Gordon, who defends those players? I don't care how you put it, Gordon is injured right now and hasn't hit the potential people are placing upon him. Until he hits it, there is no "wait till he comes back." He's injury prone and that's no good. When you're always injured but taking up a team's salary cap, you're a liability.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 09:20 PM

No I think if you don't see him as a part of your future you trade him when his value is high. You don't max him out and then look to trade him coming off an injury on a down season.

The second part of it that I think is poor management is even wanting to trade him at all. Vasquez/Gordon/Anderson/Davis has potential.

thephoenixson28
02-08-2013, 09:27 PM
He can't be traded to Phoenix

bholly
02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
No I think if you don't see him as a part of your future you trade him when his value is high. You don't max him out and then look to trade him coming off an injury on a down season.

The second part of it that I think is poor management is even wanting to trade him at all. Vasquez/Gordon/Anderson/Davis has potential.

When was his value high and he wasn't part of their future? When would you have moved him? Are you saying they should wait longer? Maybe, I guess, but I think at this point they probably just want to move on - before he poisons the lockerroom too much, and in case he gets injured again. They're playing it about as well as they can - this could be the height of his value if his injuries come back or he keeps up with the bad attitude.

To the second part - they absolutely should look into trading him. He wants out and has spent the season (and last) sulking about being there. They're super young, just drafted a likely future superstar, will have another high pick this year, and have a tonne of cap room going forward. Holding onto a sulky injury-risk on a max deal seems like a bad plan for them. At the very least they should see what's out there (ie what they're doing right now).

smith&wesson
02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
how many games has he played in the last two seasons :confused: gordon is very injury prone. thats why the pelicans are trying to move him.

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 09:32 PM

the best part is they dont have to trade him, he cant walk. so its not like they have to rush into a bad trade. he can very well play out this year and then play till next trade deadline. its not like he cant increase his value.

they are not shopping him...they are just listening to offers. no harm in that

Raps08-09 Champ
02-08-2013, 09:33 PM

They maxed him to keep an asset who doesn't want to be there.

It's not like they are looking to trade him. They said they are willing to engage in talks.

king4day
02-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Well this year he has the right to veto a trade and the Suns can't engage in trade talks for him until this offseason. Chicago would be interesting. Indy would be good too. Maybe for Granger?

Note: You won't find many Suns fans who will want to trade for this guy anymore.

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Well this year he has the right to veto a trade. Chicago would be interesting. Indy would be good too. Maybe for Granger?

just for this year, they can trade him anywhere next year

HouRealCoach
02-08-2013, 09:36 PM
I hope he gets injured again... Not to derail his career but to teach GM's not to make such stupid moves smh

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Note: You won't find many Suns fans who will want to trade for this guy anymore.

cant be traded to PHO for the duration of contract anyway

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 09:41 PM
When was his value high and he wasn't part of their future? When would you have moved him? Are you saying they should wait longer? Maybe, I guess, but I think at this point they probably just want to move on - before he poisons the lockerroom too much, and in case he gets injured again. They're playing it about as well as they can - this could be the height of his value if his injuries come back or he keeps up with the bad attitude.

To the second part - they absolutely should look into trading him. He wants out and has spent the season (and last) sulking about being there. They're super young, just drafted a likely future superstar, will have another high pick this year, and have a tonne of cap room going forward. Holding onto a sulky injury-risk on a max deal seems like a bad plan for them. At the very least they should see what's out there (ie what they're doing right now).

Who gives a **** about cap room if you are the Hornets? Who are they going to get better than Eric Gordon in FA? Be serious.

His numbers stink this year you won't get nearly enough value back so I wouldn't even be entertaining offers. You devalue him just by showing how eager you are to trade him.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 09:42 PM
the best part is they dont have to trade him, he cant walk. so its not like they have to rush into a bad trade. he can very well play out this year and then play till next trade deadline. its not like he cant increase his value.

they are not shopping him...they are just listening to offers. no harm in that

Agree to disagree. The guy is already a malcontent. Shopping him doesn't make him feel like a part of your future or raise his value on a ****** comeback from injury.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 09:43 PM
They maxed him to keep an asset who doesn't want to be there.

It's not like they are looking to trade him. They said they are willing to engage in talks.

What's the value in engaging in talks with teams now? Can you honestly give me a realistic trade that would improve the Hornets ?

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Who gives a **** about cap room if you are the Hornets? Who are they going to get better than Eric Gordon in FA? Be serious.

His numbers stink this year you won't get nearly enough value back so I wouldn't even be entertaining offers. You devalue him just by showing how eager you are to trade him.

"Even though Gordon hasn't requested a trade and the Hornets haven't actively explored a deal"

no one has said anything about NO activly shopping him....just listening....and N.O money is still green so it doesnt matter. granted they will have to overpay anyway. but its not like they will chase Bron type players. whoever they shop for is attainable.

king4day
02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
just for this year, they can trade him anywhere next year

What would you be looking for in return? Established player like Deng / Granger or Picks and potential?

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Rondo for Gordon

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 09:49 PM
"Even though Gordon hasn't requested a trade and the Hornets haven't actively explored a deal"

no one has said anything about NO activly shopping him....just listening....and N.O money is still green so it doesnt matter. granted they will have to overpay anyway. but its not like they will chase Bron type players. whoever they shop for is attainable.

So basically you can't name one player in FA they could get that would be better than Gordon right? :)

And can you explain to me how listening to low-ball offers helps their situation or makes Gordon feel like a part of the team?

king4day
02-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Rondo for Gordon

That's an interesting idea. I wonder if both teams would do it.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-08-2013, 09:50 PM
What's the value in engaging in talks with teams now? Can you honestly give me a realistic trade that would improve the Hornets ?

Maybe the Hornets are trying to determine what his value is right now in the open market. For all they know, they can get a solid offer for another young player that they might not know to be on the market who can fit beside Davis.

sunnydayin'zona
02-08-2013, 09:51 PM
They should look at getting Gortat for him.

We can't trade for him because we signed him to an offer sheet before the Hornets matched.

To the hornets: :facepalm:

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 09:51 PM
What would you be looking for in return? Established player like Deng / Granger or Picks and potential?

i would like an established guy...we have alot of young guys. i wouldnt mind Deng or Granger. and i'm in the minority but i'd like Reddick/Affalo

king4day
02-08-2013, 09:53 PM

If nothing else, maybe a team will be dumb and give up more than he's worth. Some teams might be willing to take the risk.

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 09:54 PM
So basically you can't name one player in FA they could get that would be better than Gordon right? :)

And can you explain to me how listening to low-ball offers helps their situation or makes Gordon feel like a part of the team?

me personally, id like Deng, Granger, affalo/reddick.. while not better then Gordon can stay on the court and mesh better with the team.

they can lowball all they want. NO can just hang up the phone and go about their business

king4day
02-08-2013, 09:55 PM
i would like an established guy...we have alot of young guys. i wouldnt mind Deng or Granger. and i'm in the minority but i'd like Reddick/Affalo

What about that Rondo idea?

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 09:56 PM
That's an interesting idea. I wonder if both teams would do it.

I'd definitely do it from BOS's perspective. Problem is the perception is that Rondo is a lot better (which is totally wrong - not only is he not a lot better, he's worse IMO) so it's a tough sell to the fan base. But Eric Gordon would be perfect in the no true PG, everyone handles the ball offense BOS is running so effectively now.

From NO's perspective, it gives them a marketable name to try and build around.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Trading for an overpaid inferior player? That makes no sense.

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 09:58 PM
What about that Rondo idea?

i wouldnt mind it, i'm not as high on Vasquez as most

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Trading for an overpaid inferior player? That makes no sense.

you look at it as inferior, i look at it as a better fit. you also have to take his greg oden like in jury history into account

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Boston can Bring Austin back home to pop as well lol

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 10:00 PM
I'd definitely do it from BOS's perspective. Problem is the perception is that Rondo is a lot better (which is totally wrong - not only is he not a lot better, he's worse IMO) so it's a tough sell to the fan base. But Eric Gordon would be perfect in the no true PG, everyone handles the ball offense BOS is running so effectively now.

From NO's perspective, it gives them a marketable name to try and build around.

Gordon better than Rondo.. Yeah, sign off please.

bholly
02-08-2013, 10:02 PM

Cap room helps in trades, too, not just FA.
People haven't signed much with NOH in the past because they've sucked a lot of the time. You don't think that'll change with Davis/Vasquez/Anderson and whatever else they add? Miami weren't exactly free agent players until they got a superstar. How many players would love to play in OKC or SAS? How many did we hear about wanting to go to ORL when Dwight was there, only for their lack of cap room to screw them? You think those cities all have something New Orleans doesn't, or do you think people want to play there because of the stars?

If Gordon is sulking the way he has been, and is a serious injury risk, then there's nothing wrong with listening to offers. You think he's going to demand they trade him twice, or something? You think he's going to stop playing so that other teams don't want him either?

And there's just about no way saying they're entertaining offers devalues him. Every team who's ever traded anyone has been willing to trade them. Whichever team is willing to give up the most for him will get him. He publicly wants out and has asked out - GM's aren't just going to suddenly realize that because NOH said they'll think about letting him go and then drop their offers.

It's a bad situation, sure - nobody wants to trade a max guy this early in their contract - but the NOH FO aren't doing anything wrong or anything that's going to hurt them.

KnicksorBust
you look at it as inferior, i look at it as a better fit. you also have to take his greg oden like in jury history into account

When your one of the worst teams in the NBA the last thing you should want is an overpaid glue guy. Give me Talent > Fit until you're relevant.

rocket
Pistons some how some way please

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 10:03 PM
If healthy then yes, I do think Eric Gordon is better than Rondo. I am basing that mostly off his last season in LA though. Maybe he isn't the same player but I think in a good situation he'd get back to the budding superstar he was.

bholly
02-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Boston can Bring Austin back home to pop as well lol

Without knowing either of them, I feel like that's probably something Doc and the Celtics would want to avoid. Maybe if he was some superstar whose coaching decisions make themselves, but given how bad he's been I don't think Doc would want to be the one having to make those decisions given he couldn't win either way.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Cap room helps in trades, too, not just FA.
People haven't signed much with NOH in the past because they've sucked a lot of the time. You don't think that'll change with Davis/Vasquez/Anderson and whatever else they add? Miami weren't exactly free agent players until they got a superstar. How many players would love to play in OKC or SAS? How many did we hear about wanting to go to ORL when Dwight was there, only for their lack of cap room to screw them? You think those cities all have something New Orleans doesn't, or do you think people want to play there because of the stars?

If Gordon is sulking the way he has been, and is a serious injury risk, then there's nothing wrong with listening to offers. You think he's going to demand they trade him twice, or something? You think he's going to stop playing so that other teams don't want him either?

And there's just about no way saying they're entertaining offers devalues him. Every team who's ever traded anyone has been willing to trade them. Whichever team is willing to give up the most for him will get him. He publicly wants out and has asked out - GM's aren't just going to suddenly realize that because NOH said they'll think about letting him go and then drop their offers.

It's a bad situation, sure - nobody wants to trade a max guy this early in their contract - but the NOH FO aren't doing anything wrong or anything that's going to hurt them.

You're disgustingly overrating Vasquez/Anderson's value. Yeah I do think they will continue to suck if that 3 is their core moving forward. And people can keep saying they aren't doing anything wrong but when you're max player wants out his first year and you are engaging in offers halfway through his first season that's not going to make things better. You have a MAX SG and a #1 overall PF/C... how are you not happy to build around that?

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 10:05 PM
If healthy then yes, I do think Eric Gordon is better than Rondo. I am basing that mostly off his last season in LA though. Maybe he isn't the same player but I think in a good situation he'd get back to the budding superstar he was.

If healthy is different than not healthy. Even when he was healthy, Gordon was not as good as Rondo. You can argue he was but Rondo is a beast who does it all.

CubsBullsBucs
02-08-2013, 10:06 PM

i wouldnt want that at all. gordon and rose would be like harden and lin. ya lin is good but he isnt at his best because he needs the ball in his hands to be great. id rather have deng and our pick

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Gordon's last year in LA was much better than any season Rondo has had IMO.

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 10:12 PM
When your one of the worst teams in the NBA the last thing you should want is an overpaid glue guy. Give me Talent > Fit until you're relevant.

9 out of 10 times i would agree with you. but i'd rather have a couple of guys i could depend on for about 70+ games a year. i cant say that about eric

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Gordon's last year in LA was much better than any season Rondo has had IMO.

Gordon: 0.450 0.364 0.825 0.8 2.1 2.9 4.4 1.3 0.3 2.70 2.05 22.3

Rondo: 0.484 0.240 0.645 1.1 4.4 5.6 11.1 1.8 0.2 3.89 2.53 13.7

Better at what? Besides scoring, I don't see what he did better.

HighCHWRoller07
02-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Bulls need to jump on this!

Hawkeye15
02-08-2013, 10:17 PM

that is a team that panicked, didn't want to let the key piece of the CP3 trade walk, and threw a stupid deal at a player who doesn't deserve it. Poor management all the way around, though selling high on him might not be the worst idea.

LakersMaster24
02-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Glad the Hornets got a good trade with CP3.

Sactown
02-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Boston should swap Rondo

Move Kg and Pierce 4 Bledsoe Odom Butler Dj and a pick

Boston looks like this

Bledsoe
Gordon
Green
Sullinger
Dj

Hornets get an all star pg with a future start big

Clippers become serious contender

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Look, you take out Deng, you take out the player who defends Melo, LeBron, and Durant. You put in Gordon, who defends those players?

Put jimmy butler on those guys. You know, the kid who shut kobe down. A lineup of rose, gordon, butler, boozer, and noah is scary!

LeBron is on another level compared to Kobe.. stop it.

JeffG20
02-08-2013, 10:19 PM

we didnt get Odom and you didnt get Paul.....i still love the trade

HighCHWRoller07
02-08-2013, 10:22 PM
A top 8 SG isn't even good. With the lack of SG's today, Wade, Kobe, Harden, he should be top 5.
Look, you take out Deng, you take out the player who defends Melo, LeBron, and Durant. You put in Gordon, who defends those players? .

Its simple...you put butler on them. The kid did shut kobe down and has outstanding defense. A lineup of rose, gordon, butler, boozer, and noah is scary good!

LongWayFromHome
02-08-2013, 10:23 PM

umm maybe they never wanted to keep him long term. Its called collecting assets.

bholly
02-08-2013, 10:25 PM
You're disgustingly overrating Vasquez/Anderson's value. Yeah I do think they will continue to suck if that 3 is their core moving forward. And people can keep saying they aren't doing anything wrong but when you're max player wants out his first year and you are engaging in offers halfway through his first season that's not going to make things better. You have a MAX SG and a #1 overall PF/C... how are you not happy to build around that?

I mentioned Vasquez/Anderson purely because you mentioned them in saying how happy NOH should be to have the core they'd have with those two and Davis/Gordon. Apologies if you don't agree with yourself that they have value.

I don't disagree that their max guy wanting out doesn't make things better - but what can they do about that? He wanted out back when they were enamored and couldn't wait to re-sign him. What should they have done? Send him flowers? They aren't making him want to leave any more than he already wants to leave. He can't demand they trade him twice.
And yes, they'd have been thrilled to build around Davis/Gordon, which is why they matched his offersheet - but now he's sulking and has continued with his injuries, so things are different.

What should they have done in your opinion? Are you saying they should've just let him sign with Phoenix? Or are you saying that they were right to match, but should be waiting longer to move him or hope he decides he wants to stay? Which bit is bad management? What would you have done?

that is a team that panicked, didn't want to let the key piece of the CP3 trade walk, and threw a stupid deal at a player who doesn't deserve it. Poor management all the way around, though selling high on him might not be the worst idea.

They didn't throw anything, they matched an offer-sheet. You think what they get back now is going to be worse for the team than letting him walk and getting nothing?

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Its simple...you put butler on them. The kid did shut kobe down and has outstanding defense. A lineup of rose, gordon, butler, boozer, and noah is scary good!

If Gordon is playing like crap right now, what makes you think Chicago will trade an All Star in Deng for Gordon? You're overrating Gordon like hell. Okay, you put Butler on there... Who's guarding LeBron? Who's guarding Wade? Certainly Gordon can't contain Wade because he is a terrible defender.

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Gordon: 0.450 0.364 0.825 0.8 2.1 2.9 4.4 1.3 0.3 2.70 2.05 22.3

Rondo: 0.484 0.240 0.645 1.1 4.4 5.6 11.1 1.8 0.2 3.89 2.53 13.7

Better at what? Besides scoring, I don't see what he did better.

If Rondo doesn't have the ball in his hands he's an offensive liability. And even though in theory he creates easy shots for the rest of the team, a lot of players don't feel comfortable playing off the ball so much. It makes it hard for secondary options to get involved. Gordon can run the offense at times and get others shots, iso for himself, and spot up when others have the ball. He's a much more complete offensive player and a good defensive player as well.

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 10:27 PM

If they move him for assets that's better than just letting him go to PHX.

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 10:30 PM
If Rondo doesn't have the ball in his hands he's an offensive liability. And even though in theory he creates easy shots for the rest of the team, a lot of players don't feel comfortable playing off the ball so much. It makes it hard for secondary options to get involved. Gordon can run the offense at times and get others shots, iso for himself, and spot up when others have the ball. He's a much more complete offensive player and a good defensive player as well.

Gordon doesn't pass. He's averaging 3 APG for his career. He's a liability for NOH because he's not doing anything but getting paid. Rondo has been a huge part of the Celtics his entire career there. Gordon is not in the same league as Rondo. You keep bringing up potential... Rondo actually did amazing things. Gordon has yet to do anything except had one season that many believed was his breakout season.

He's a more complete offensive player but what's happening now? He's played two great seasons his entire career.. Rondo has played great for years now.

Stunner
02-08-2013, 10:31 PM
People who say Rose and Gordon would be a bad fit obviously don't see how they mesh . Rose doesn't want to score he rather passes . Him having someone to help take the scoring off would help him a lot , especially coming back from surgery . Think of them as a smarter more efficient version of BJ and Ellis .

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 10:33 PM
People who say Rose and Gordon would be a bad fit obviously don't see how they mesh . Rose doesn't want to score he rather passes . Him having someone to help take the scoring off would help him a lot , especially coming back from surgery . Think of them as a smarter more efficient version of BJ and Ellis .

I'm not understanding you. You're acting like Gordon is going to score like he did back in LAC. Look at him now.. Struggling to score. How much more time does he need? That's a question that any management needs to be concerned of. Trade Deng, you might get the Gordon who scores under 40%.

Stunner
02-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Boston should do Vasquez and Gordon for Rondo and Bradley .

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Boston should do Vasquez and Gordon for Rondo and Bradley .

I wouldn't do that. Bradley is a special defensive player IMO. He changes the game with his on-ball D. I don't think his skill set is replaceable.

Cracka2HI!
02-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Back to the Clippers!!

Stunner
02-08-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm not understanding you. You're acting like Gordon is going to score like he did back in LAC. Look at him now.. Struggling to score. How much more time does he need? That's a question that any management needs to be concerned of. Trade Deng, you might get the Gordon who scores under 40%.

What aren't you understanding ? You're basing him off a small sample size in limited mins and him playing his way back into form Oh Gordon the last couple of games have been pretty good as he's getting more mins . You can't possibly believe he will shoot under or near 40% forever . I look at career averages over a small size of a player working his way back into form.

nolafan33
02-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Gordon isn't going anywhere, the article stated as much.

There's only one guy on the roster that is untouchable, and that's Davis. Which common sense tells you the team will listen to offers for anyone else. Listening to offers and trying to trade him are two very different things.

Stunner
02-08-2013, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't do that. Bradley is a special defensive player IMO. He changes the game with his on-ball D. I don't think his skill set is replaceable.

Well you guys need someone to run the show cuz Bradley hasn't shown that yet , I was expecting him to step up .

Sportfan
02-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Boston should trade Rondo for a frontcourt big time player. Don't need more 2's

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I mentioned Vasquez/Anderson purely because you mentioned them in saying how happy NOH should be to have the core they'd have with those two and Davis/Gordon. Apologies if you don't agree with yourself that they have value.

I don't disagree that their max guy wanting out doesn't make things better - but what can they do about that? He wanted out back when they were enamored and couldn't wait to re-sign him. What should they have done? Send him flowers? They aren't making him want to leave any more than he already wants to leave. He can't demand they trade him twice.
And yes, they'd have been thrilled to build around Davis/Gordon, which is why they matched his offersheet - but now he's sulking and has continued with his injuries, so things are different.

What should they have done in your opinion? Are you saying they should've just let him sign with Phoenix? Or are you saying that they were right to match, but should be waiting longer to move him or hope he decides he wants to stay? Which bit is bad management? What would you have done?

The core 3 of them without Gordon is a hell of a lot different than a core 4 with Gordon. If you need me to elaborate I will but I feel that should be pretty obvious.

If I was sold on him as a part of our future I would have signed him to the max 5 year deal that he wanted and gotten him to buy into the Hornets long-term future and not had to deal with any of this nonsense. Not that complicated.

JLynn943
02-08-2013, 10:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bk4ttdy

Seems legit :)

HighCHWRoller07
02-08-2013, 10:51 PM
If Gordon is playing like crap right now, what makes you think Chicago will trade an All Star in Deng for Gordon? You're overrating Gordon like hell. Okay, you put Butler on there... Who's guarding LeBron? Who's guarding Wade? Certainly Gordon can't contain Wade because he is a terrible defender.

This trade wouldnt be about defense. Its about getting another scorer which is what gordon can do.

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 10:52 PM
What aren't you understanding ? You're basing him off a small sample size in limited mins and him playing his way back into form Oh Gordon the last couple of games have been pretty good as he's getting more mins . You can't possibly believe he will shoot under or near 40% forever . I look at career averages over a small size of a player working his way back into form.

I'm not understanding why you are judging a player's potential. Gordon may or may not play the way he did before. He's playing his way up... What's your point? How come no one says this about Howard? C'mon, Eric Gordon might play like he did before... Or he might not. You can't judge a player by how he might play!

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 10:53 PM
This trade wouldnt be about defense. Its about getting another scorer which is what gordon can do.

40% FG% is not called scoring...

flclfanman
02-08-2013, 10:54 PM
I'd love his scoring but his injury history scares the **** out of me. Yet to play a full season and if he is a legit second option then Thibs would run him 40+mins a night, which will lead to more injuries.

My gut says no, but if we can get him for Deng I'd think about it.

flclfanman
02-08-2013, 10:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bk4ttdy

Seems legit :)

Funny guy...

Raps08-09 Champ
02-08-2013, 11:03 PM

I agree. This is certainly better than that 3 way trade with the Rockets and Lakers.

bholly
02-08-2013, 11:16 PM
The core 3 of them without Gordon is a hell of a lot different than a core 4 with Gordon. If you need me to elaborate I will but I feel that should be pretty obvious.

If I was sold on him as a part of our future I would have signed him to the max 5 year deal that he wanted and gotten him to buy into the Hornets long-term future and not had to deal with any of this nonsense. Not that complicated.

That's sort of the problem with your plan. In your vision he just signs on and is happy because you want him to be. The Hornets wanted him to and he wouldn't. He didn't take the max extension offer (which, by the way, was under the previous ownership and management), and had said months before free agency that he was going to test the market no matter what. The Hornets made it clear that they wanted to build around him and said publicly that they would match whatever he got. He never said he was leaving because he couldn't get a full 5 year deal - he said he was going to test the market before free agency even began. You can't just say "I would've made him happy" as your plan. He wanted out. Said for months he was going to test free agency, then said his heart was in Phoenix. So, what would you have done differently?

bholly
02-08-2013, 11:20 PM

You also started out with a pretty big if. What if you weren't sold on him as part of your future? What if you had injury concerns? Would you have let genuine value walk out the door, or would you have matched whatever knowing you can get something back for him later?

KnicksorBust
02-09-2013, 12:38 AM
That's sort of the problem with your plan. In your vision he just signs on and is happy because you want him to be. The Hornets wanted him to and he wouldn't. He didn't take the max extension offer (which, by the way, was under the previous ownership and management), and had said months before free agency that he was going to test the market no matter what. The Hornets made it clear that they wanted to build around him and said publicly that they would match whatever he got. He never said he was leaving because he couldn't get a full 5 year deal - he said he was going to test the market before free agency even began. You can't just say "I would've made him happy" as your plan. He wanted out. Said for months he was going to test free agency, then said his heart was in Phoenix. So, what would you have done differently?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/eric-gordon-really-wants-play-phoenix-tries-scare-232339869--nba.html

"If (the Hornets) were interested, there wouldn't have been no tour, there wouldn't have been nothing," Gordon said. "There's been no negotiations. I was right there in Indiana. I haven't received no calls, to me personally, they've contacted myagent.

"As for now, I don't know what's going on. (If the Hornets match) as of right now, I'd be disappointed." Is there anything the Hornets could do to change his mind? "I don't think there is," Gordon said.

"If you feel that I'm that caliber player," Gordon said, when asked if he felt disrespected. "You don't think I knew I was going to be an unrestricted free agent this summer? I knew that. I took it into account. I'm taking accountability for how I play. What do they mean as an organization? [B]What do I mean to them?

"Obviously they're saying all that (about him being the cornerstone on which the franchise will rebuild) to scare everybody off. If I don't really hear that from them, and they haven't shown it, it wouldn't be like this right now." [...]

"I'm a basketball player at the end of the day. Where I'm at, I've just got to play ball. But as of right now, it's going to be for the Phoenix Suns. If they match, I've got to play basketball."

Seems pretty obvious the guy was unhappy with the way management treated him. I'm just going by Gordon. Anything else is pure opinion. It reminds me of the Joe Johnson/Phoenix situation. He felt so disrespected by ownership that he walked away from one of the best teams in the NBA. Hornets dropped the ball.

You also started out with a pretty big if. What if you weren't sold on him as part of your future? What if you had injury concerns? Would you have let genuine value walk out the door, or would you have matched whatever knowing you can get something back for him later?

If I wasn't sold on him as my future I wouldn't have traded the best PG in the world for him. Assuming I made that trade I would have proactively been looking to sign him long-term and make him my franchise player to build around. Then we would have been popping bottles when we landed Anthony Davis. I would realize that there may be some growing pains but the future is bright. It really doesn't seem to complicated to me.

aussie
02-09-2013, 12:58 AM
agree, you aren't going to let someone as good as Gordon go, no matter how much he whinges

The goods
02-09-2013, 01:01 AM

I wouldn't say that he's just sold as a player with a lot of potential, just can't seem to stay healthy.

TheNumber37
02-09-2013, 08:16 AM
pacers can easily make a deal with them for granger.
phoenix would have to have a deal around gortat and as far as bigs go, is rather see if minny would give up pekovic if they could finally get the starring two they've been looking for.

grizz could make a play for zbo

I also think he'd be a great fit for the spurs... maybe too expensive for their taste, though.

c.c.
02-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Bulls
Houston (unconventional lineup)
Pacers

would be great fits for EJ.

No thanks

rib323
02-09-2013, 05:49 PM
I would love to have eric Gordon on the suns but I believe that we can focus the deal around the lakers first and a second rounder with frye and Shannon brown

JeffG20
02-09-2013, 06:31 PM
pacers can easily make a deal with them for granger.
phoenix would have to have a deal around gortat and as far as bigs go, is rather see if minny would give up pekovic if they could finally get the starring two they've been looking for.

grizz could make a play for zbo

I also think he'd be a great fit for the spurs... maybe too expensive for their taste, though.

Suns are not allowed to trade for him

nyKnicks126
02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Trade him to the Nets for Johnson.. :rolleyes:

nyKnicks126
02-09-2013, 06:39 PM
But really. Hornets should trade Gordon to the Hawks for Smith.

icon1914
02-09-2013, 06:54 PM

Yeah... But didn't NY pick up the option on Billups just to amnesty him later that off season? Things happen...

OceanSpray
02-09-2013, 09:18 PM
A player who is always injured is always a liability. If Eric Gordon can't stay healthy, who cares if he can play 40 games a season? Players like Kobe, LeBron, Durant, and Harden are playing full seasons. Please don't put Eric Gordon in any trade talk when he's not even playing like the player he once was.

TrueFan420
02-10-2013, 01:27 AM
I would love to have eric Gordon on the suns but I believe that we can focus the deal around the lakers first and a second rounder with frye and Shannon brown

No you can't they will want much more than that trash