PDA

View Full Version : Hawks opt to not pay Josh Smith, may entertain deals for him

KniCks4LiFe
02-08-2013, 07:26 PM
The Atlanta Hawks met with Josh Smith's representatives this week and indicated that they are not willing to give the forward a max contract after this season, according to a league source.

The Hawks, in turn, are entertaining trade offers for Smith around the NBA but haven't decided whether they will deal him.

Smith, averaging almost 17 points and nine rebounds this season, is prepared to move on from the Hawks.

Via David Aldridge/NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/2013/news/02/08/josh-smith-trade-offers/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts)

I'm guessing he's gone before ASW.

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
This. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=az6tqqo

;)

knicks=love
02-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard
Source close to situation says "60 percent" chance ATL trades Josh Smith b4 deadline. Brooklyn one of several teams interested.

interesting for brooklyn

KniCks4LiFe
Johnny chill w/ the Xbox :laugh2: I see Josh going to Houston.

He ain't going to Brooklyn.

ManRam

;)

Not sure if serious...

But good for the Hawks. That's the right move.

knicks=love
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM

;)

and atlanta hangs up the phone

KniCks4LiFe
02-08-2013, 07:34 PM

Nah, Atlanta holds the phone, takes a plane ride in the blizzard and throws the celly in his face.

Cracka2HI!
02-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Source close to situation says "60 percent" chance ATL trades Josh Smith b4 deadline. Brooklyn one of several teams interested.

interesting for brooklynUnless they'll take a package that doesn't have much value I don't think it's interesting for Brooklyn. I don't think they can make a better offer than Josh Smith's expiring contract has. They don't really have assets, a better offer will be out there for sure.

TrueFan420
02-08-2013, 07:35 PM

;)

Hahahahaha

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-08-2013, 07:36 PM

Not sure if serious...

But good for the Hawks. That's the right move.

Johnny chill w/ the Xbox :laugh2: I see Josh going to Houston.

He ain't going to Brooklyn.

Not realistic? My bad, I'll fix it:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=af947eo

now THATS a trade. Maybe Atlanta will throw a few firsts in there.

kdspurman
02-08-2013, 07:36 PM
I think most figured this would be the case, by them not wanting to give Josh the max.

TheNumber37
02-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I like him on the Rockets and I think he has a shot to resign there.
IF not, the Suns will go all out to get him.

I also think that the Sixers could be a good spot for him.

RipCity32
02-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Smart move from the Hawks plus clearly that team is staying stuck as mediocre.

LTBaByyy
02-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Marion (11 pts, 8 reb per game), Kaman (8 mil expiring), Jared Cunningham (1st round pick), 2 picks

I mean that's better than what the Grizzlies got for Gay

ManRam
02-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Marion (11 pts, 8 reb per game), Kaman (8 mil expiring), Jared Cunningham (1st round pick), 2 picks

No it's not...

seikou8
02-08-2013, 08:06 PM
time for alt to blow it up need to rebuild and get out of the worse place to be in nba.

ATX
02-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Josh Smith doesn't deserve a max contract imo. I agree that its time for ATL to move on from Smith. They need to retool their roster and hopefully they learned from the J Johnson deal, that giving him the max is not in their best interest. So if thats what he's demanding...Trade him now and get something back.

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Btw , Broussard only added Brooklyn in there to get more hype into the deal. We don't have the assets to acquire him.

smith&wesson
02-08-2013, 08:14 PM
boozer for josh smith :shrug:

*Silver&Black*
02-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Smart move. No one on the roster is worth max. Let's get to trading him.

ATL rebuilds with Marion and Kaman? No.

I would rather Smith walk and keep the cap room.

Swift Game
02-08-2013, 08:25 PM
The whole point to this story and its not surprising is that Josh smith in no where near a max player. When you talk about the likes of LeBron, Durant, Kobe , wade, CP3 and possibly rose. He is no way in that category of players. Not sure he is better than Bosh and Gasol when it comes to an overall player.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have him on the Lakers for speed, defense and the fact he is super athletic. But he is not a franchise guy. He can be a glue guy to get another team over the hump in the playoffs. OKC may be able to realistically beat Miami with him in the lineup. A lot of teams can use the guy no doubt. Maybe some teams are worried that he really does want max money.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 08:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bb7crcr

Call me crazy but I think that trade works for both teams:

Wizards send: Emeka Okafor + Trevor Ariza + 1st round pick
Hawks send: Josh Smith + Zaza Pachulia

Hawks get an upgrade at center and get to stay competitive this season while acquiring a lottery pick for two players they aren't resigning. Wizards meanwhile get a core of Wall-Beal-Smith-Nene. I LOVE the idea of Wall, a lightning quick guard, and Smith out in transition. That team makes the playoffs next season with upside in a weak East.

chi-townlove1
02-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Smart move. No one on the roster is worth max. Let's get to trading him.

ATL rebuilds with Marion and Kaman? No.

I would rather Smith walk and keep the cap room.

Why? Carlos is a better player than josh smith. You would dumb not to take that, after the year boozer has had.

*Silver&Black*
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Why? Carlos is a better player than josh smith. You would dumb not to take that, after the year boozer has had.

no

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Boozer is not better than Smith.. Not to mention Boozer shuts down completely in the playoffs.

Imo, Atlanta should move Smith to NYK for Amare and Novak.

Panthers4life
02-08-2013, 09:17 PM
The hawks don't want an amare or boozer. they want young players, picks or expirings(in that case theyd just keep josh). Here's a trade i could somewhat see:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ahhdxoq

Gives philly a big to put with bynum when healthy and with jrue holiday.

or another option would be this..

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b3xjk3j

this is me obviously speculating but would give the spurs a big 4 of parker manu smith and duncan. may be what they need to knock out LAC and OKC in the playoffs

Stunner
02-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Bulls don't want Josh Smith and his jump shooting and ATL doesn't want Amare crappy contract and those Knees

Panthers4life
02-08-2013, 09:19 PM
both of those trades give ATL 2 younger players and an expiring, which is what i believe they'll be looking for

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 09:22 PM
The hawks don't want an amare or boozer. they want young players, picks or expirings(in that case theyd just keep josh). Here's a trade i could somewhat see:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ahhdxoq

Gives philly a big to put with bynum when healthy and with jrue holiday.

or another option would be this..

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b3xjk3j

this is me obviously speculating but would give the spurs a big 4 of parker manu smith and duncan. may be what they need to knock out LAC and OKC in the playoffs

Not bad.

My trade gives them the Wiz lottery pick. Your options are Evan Turner or Kawhi Leonard. If I'm the Hawks that's a no brainer.

DR_1
02-08-2013, 09:29 PM

interesting for brooklyn

If Broussard reported it, it ain't happening.

DR_1
02-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Boozer is not better than Smith.. Not to mention Boozer shuts down completely in the playoffs.

Imo, Atlanta should move Smith to NYK for Amare and Novak.

Boozer is better than Josh "Jump Shot Happy" Smith.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Boozer is better than Josh "Jump Shot Happy" Smith.

Even if that is true, he doesn't turn the Hawks into a contender and he's overpaid. Bad trade for ATL.

LA4life24/8
02-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Jsmoove, idk what the hawks are tryna get back for him but likely asking too much, the guys pretty.good bt a player that relies nearly 100% on his athleticism, once that goes his game is gonna go to trash, he is not a max type player 9-10 mill for 3-4 years maybe

GREATNESS ONE
02-09-2013, 12:03 AM
llullz @ Smith thinking he's a max player.

mdm692
02-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Gortat, Dudley and a pick.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2013, 12:06 AM

That'd be a solid return for the Hawks. I'm surprised you'd be willing to do that as a suns fan??

KnicksorBust
02-09-2013, 12:07 AM

That'd be a solid return for the Hawks. I'm surprised you'd be willing to do that as a suns fan??

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm curious to see where he ends up. This will be interesting. He has the potential to shift the power balance should the right team pick him up. Or he could a playoff team become a contender. Maybe the Hawks can look into get McGee+ from Denver since they aren't playing him.

I may be off with this, but I've heard there are some maturity issue with Josh Smith that might discourage teams from giving him a max deal. I think he's a great player, and solid defender, though his shot selection can be questionable from time to time. Is he worth a max-deal? I struggle with the idea of giving a guy who has never made an All-NBA team or All-Star team a max deal, but it seems that a lot of guys are getting that without the credentials.

Cracka2HI!
02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bb7crcr

Call me crazy but I think that trade works for both teams:

Wizards send: Emeka Okafor + Trevor Ariza + 1st round pick
Hawks send: Josh Smith + Zaza Pachulia

Hawks get an upgrade at center and get to stay competitive this season while acquiring a lottery pick for two players they aren't resigning. Wizards meanwhile get a core of Wall-Beal-Smith-Nene. I LOVE the idea of Wall, a lightning quick guard, and Smith out in transition. That team makes the playoffs next season with upside in a weak East.

I think this is a very good trade idea. If the Hawks aren't going to keep Smoove they need to move him. They might even be able to enhance their chances of winning this year!

Chill_Will_24
02-09-2013, 12:50 AM
If he is traded you can scratch another team off the Dwight run

It's down to Dallas and Houston!

GREATNESS ONE
02-09-2013, 02:04 AM
^ He'll re-sign.

waveycrockett
02-09-2013, 09:24 AM
I highly doubt ATL is going to get equal value for Smith and BK and Ferry have a great relationship. I can see a possible deal between Nets and Hawks. No to mention I dont see a bunch of teams throwing the kitchen sink at Ferry for Smith. Def not HOU who is saving $$$ for Dwight and Raps already made their move for Gay

akesh99
02-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Probably the most realistic scenario given the fact that a) that is pretty fair return for a guy like Smith and b) phx has expressed interest in smoove already. Salaries match and everything

reffahead
02-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Atl will not move JS before the deadline. Teams can offer 4 years 70 million during the offseason. Ferry is gauging what the open market will pay him and counter with alittle more with heavy incentive pay that is reasonable. Ferry has a history of doing this before so I suspect he'll offer up a similar contract.

"I know that you and I had the same exact thought when the Cavaliers offered hustle player Anderson Varejao to a six-year, $50 million dollar contract: "WTF are you doing Danny Ferry? Are you drunk?." Rightfully so. On the surface, that contract appears to pay Varejao an average of $8.3 million a year for six whole years. A bit much? Further investigation shows us that these "incentives" exist in his contract, but what does that matter, the guy signed for $50 million!"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/287331-looking-into-contract-incentives

2-ONE-5
02-09-2013, 10:10 AM
he is not worth a max and the Hawks just dealt JJ bcuz he wasnt worth a max. No way they put themselves through that again.

Htownballa1622
02-09-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't want josh Smith at all.