PDA

View Full Version : Are the Celtics better without Rondo?

4milesperday
02-08-2013, 07:01 PM
The Celtics have a high/better winning percentage without Rondo for the past two seasons; many regard Rondo as one of the top defensive guards in the league but the Celtics defense is better without him playing, also, the balls moves more freely on the offense. This raises some questions about the effectiveness because Rondo is a triple double treat every night and in many cases the Celtics suffer when Rondo gets individual good numbers.

ManRam
02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
I made it clear when he went down that I didn't think it would hurt them much.

But, I don't think they truly are better without him. I think his impact on that team was wildly overblown...at least in recent years...but he's still a valuable piece.

I do think it's pretty close to "it makes no difference".

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-08-2013, 07:15 PM
No. And have you not seen the 3 other threads about just this? To save time I posted this today.

Haha, it's amazing to me the amount of hate rondo gets. Has anyone looked at who they played?
Heat (KG and pierce wouldn't allow anything but max effort, no matter who was on the floor, but still the only semi-legit case against rondo IMO)
Kings (17-33)
Clippers (without cp3)
Magic (14-35)
Toronto (17-32)
Lakers ( minus pau + injured Howard, and Kobe missed some time)

I know I'm fallin right into the hate trap, where I hear how terribly overrated he is, but seriously. This team was gonna be a borderline playoff team with or without him. Anybody who had them much higher, you must have heard something I didn't.
No matter how much people wanna b***** about how he ruins this team with all his selfish assists, dude is a top 10 pg EASY (top 5 for me if adding age going forward), on a team that is already rebuilding whether people acknowledge that or not. This team added at least 6 new players to the rotation this year (terry, Barbosa, lee, sullinger, green, and fab melo), so of course rondo felt like he needed to do more, and there was going to be an adjustment period.
Can they make it another week or so? Sure, but if you look into march I have them at 6-10 when they get into a couple of rough weeks. (1st wk in march: warriors, 76ers, pacers, hawks, thunder w/in 7 days.)
Now I can understand that his usage may statistically be too high for his effectiveness, and some of his assist stats are padded, but to say he doesn't give this team a better chance to win, is severely underestimating him. Feel free to bash this outlandish opinion. Ready go.

ccspence8
02-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Come playoff time it'll make a big difference...And you're just as stupid as all the media outlets making up some ******** to hate on Rondo. The guy develops a shot and a nice pull up jumper, and Felger & Mazz talk about how Rondo is a ball hog for wanting assists...yet he leads the NBA in assists. That's the DEFINITION of being UNSELFISH as a PG.

His last two games he drops back to back triple-doubles. I don't see anyone saying, are the Celtics better without Jared Sullinger? Yeah, you know we don't need all his offensive rebounds or anything.

ManRam
02-08-2013, 07:31 PM
These threads pop up whenever a star goes down and a team does well over a short span of time.

And 99.99% of the time they're stupid and just overreactionary.

I just think there is some truth that Rondo and his ultra-pass-first/scoring-ineptitude being out frees up a lot of things. But still, they aren't ultimately better without him.

RLundi
02-08-2013, 07:52 PM
How dumb. After such a small sample size an accurate conclusion can't be made.

NYMetros
02-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Regular season-better
Playoffs-worse

seikou8
02-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Regular season-better
Playoffs-worse

yup and rondo is overated

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Come playoff time it'll make a big difference...And you're just as stupid as all the media outlets making up some ******** to hate on Rondo. The guy develops a shot and a nice pull up jumper, and Felger & Mazz talk about how Rondo is a ball hog for wanting assists...yet he leads the NBA in assists. That's the DEFINITION of being UNSELFISH as a PG.

His last two games he drops back to back triple-doubles. I don't see anyone saying, are the Celtics better without Jared Sullinger? Yeah, you know we don't need all his offensive rebounds or anything.

It's the definition of being a stat whore when you pass up an open lay-up to get an assist from a guy with just an average mid length jumper.

Triple Doubles? What's his percentage of triple doubles on National TV games vs local TV? How about Rondo shows up and plays every game instead of when he feels like it.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 08:03 PM
How dumb. After such a small sample size an accurate conclusion can't be made.

Rondo has missed other games, and the result is more points scored and less points allowed when he is out.

Nighthawk
02-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Rondo has missed other games, and the result is more points scored and less points allowed when he is out.

Bags we can argue over Patriots but man do we see eye to eye with this topic. Rondo = overrated. And it goes far beyond just this little 6 game winning streak without him. How many possessions have ended with Rondo dribbling down the shot clock either waiting for someone to get open or chuck that mid range jumper (his #s have improved this season). Ball totally stuck in his hands to the point he was selfish about the assists. His whole double digits assist streak i think totally didn't help the team. The ball movement recently has been what any basketball fan would love to see. Lee, Bradley and Barbosa imo will be more than capable of managing the ball handling duties as well as Pierce. Green and Terry look loose and uch improved. Their pressure on the defensive end NIGHTLY from the back court is a blessing. Bradley suffocating the point guard while Lee makes your best offensive player work. I think with the right path in the playoffs and an added BIG (Kenyon Martin is a Free agent) we could see the Heat again in the playoffs without Rondo. No team besides the Heat really scare me besides a Bulls team with a healthy D Rose but well see. Should be fun.

I find it funny all of a sudden theres Rondo rumors of it only being a "partial tear" and his comeback could be sooner lol

3RDASYSTEM
02-08-2013, 08:24 PM
All they will miss is his youth and energy/hustle

TERRY-BARBOSA-BRADLEY-LEE can easily cover his 12-14ppg as a unit(and likely surpass it on most nights)

and PIERCE-TERRY-LEE-KG-GREEN can easily cover his assists total as a unit,PEIRCE can cover half of'em himself alone

to me its better to have 5 diff. players creating/attacking than having 1dribble 90pct of time, but what do I know

last I checked they went to 2008&2010 Finals as a 'team', KG was the team MVP, even when he tore his knee out you could see that in 2009 many had them penciled in for repeat preKGinjury, I want to say they had best record in league at the time of injury, RONDO was tag along to big 3 offtop then settled into big 4 role like mid 2010 or 2011 right? he good player but hes no MAGIC/ZEKE/AI/CP3

only thing will hurt C's is that PIERCE/KG are 5yrs older since that 2008 title,RONDO's youth is so vital for a 82game stretch with mid to late 30yr old vets