PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Disgrace/Inspiration In NBA History

JasonJohnHorn
02-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Somebody opened a thread with this title and I thought: Interesting conversation potential. But ti turned out it was just a Howard/bait/bash thread. Howard is FAR from the biggest disgrace the NBA has ever seen.

The NBA has seen some disgraceful moments, not the least of which was the Malice at the Palace, but the Kermit Washington punch on Rudy-T was pretty bad. The league for its part though has made great efforts to keep fighting to a minimum and has succeed for the large part (the NBA, back in the 70's used to have as many fights as hockey). Some of the black athletes saw being termed as "thugs" for fighting during the 70's as detrimental to the perceptions of Black people and made strong efforts to change that, while the NHL continues to allow fighting to be a huge part of the sport, which I think is disgraceful and illustrates how inferior the sport itself is that it needs fights in order to be entertaining. But I digress. There have been some off court issues that have been disgraceful as well, though I don't want to comment on allegations that were never "proven" in court, as that seems unfair since it wasn't proven (that goes for both Kobe and Alvin Robertson who were both arrested for sexual abuses, though I think Robertson's case is still pending). No doubt drug scandals have had tragic results, like Len Bias overdose, or the fact that a player as talented as Roy Tarpley never really got to reach his potential (and to a lesser extend, perhaps Stanley Roberts, the only guy big enough to cause Shaq to move over to PF). Then there was Melo showing up in an anti-snitching video?!?!?!?!?

On the positive side though, I think there have been some real inspirations in the NBA, not the least of which is Dimekbe Mutumbo who has used huge portions of his salary to put up a hospital in his native country. He is truly an amazing humanitarian and other players would do well to follow his example. Some guys give a lot off the court (Grant Hill, Alonzo Mourning, World B Free) and get recognized for it, while others do much work and don't get recognized for it. Not to mention inspirational stories of guys who overcame adversity like Muggsy Bogues who put all the doubters to shame and had an amazing NBA career despite the belief many held that he was simply to small to succeed int he NBA, while MWP, who has struggled with mental illness, has brought attention to such issues and has try to make steps too improve himself and raise awareness (even if he still has lapses from time to time).

So, who/what do you think has been the biggest disgrace to the NBA? And who do you think has been the biggest inspiration?

Collings94
02-08-2013, 05:25 PM
The most inspiring player in NBA history is probably either Mutombo, or Jack Twyman. If you ever have any time, look up what Twyman did for former teammate Maurice Stokes. After Stokes was stricken with a terrible illness and became a quadriplegic, Twyman and his family basically took complete care of Stokes until his death.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-08-2013, 06:37 PM
As much as I hate to say it, Bias was the tip of the iceberg. Bias seemed like such a freak accident, but the truth is drugs, cocaine especially, robbed a lot of great talent of their best years, and contributed to the near dissipation of the league. I hate on stern all the time for his borderline OCD management style, but this was one of the things that gave him a pass with me for years.

As far as recently, I dunno, this piece from a grantland article struck me.
Per Bill Simmons

"The following anecdote is 100 percent true …

NBA players get tested up to four times during the course of a season. The fourth time can happen at any point from October to June, but once it happens, that's it. So if your fourth test occurs after your 71st game, you're clear the rest of the way. It's a running joke within NBA circles, something of a get-out-of-jail-free card: Once you pee in that fourth cup, you're good to go. Put whatever you want into your body. Feel like smoking enough weed to make Harold and Kumar blush? Knock yourself out. Feel like replacing your blood with cleaner blood so you have more endurance for the playoffs? Knock yourself out. Feel like starting a testosterone cycle because you might have to play 25 grueling playoff games over the next 10 weeks? Knock yourself out. Remember how competitive these guys are. What would they do for an edge? How far would they go? And why are we giving them the choice?"

As far as inspiration, mutumbo has always been my favorite, and The artist formerly known as artest getting that award from ucla, and hearing how he was willing to actually go into the psych ward and interact with the patients was pretty admirable. Good to hear him turning a lifelong negative into a positive.

Great thread by the way.

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 06:39 PM
OP, they don't really hate Howard. It's just there's an absurd amount of LAL fanboys who won't ever blame Kobe and instead find it more amusing to hate on Howard. They need to make themselves feel better about Kobe as a player and so they blame Howard for Kobe losing. It's quite funny actually.

BULLSFAN0810
02-09-2013, 12:55 AM
biggest disgrace ...EDDY ****ING CURRY... HEROLD MINER ....TYRUS THOMAS..Micheal Sweetney:facepalm:

Best Story...KG Winning and talking **** on TV..WHAT YOU GON SAY NOW? CLASSIC!!!

Money_23
02-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Dwight for sure.
listen to what jeff van gundy had to say about him during a game. All on point, imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0o4crq6DNc

he's a diva, and like KG said last year, he's a clown.