PDA

View Full Version : Rondo's ACL tear was partial - could return sooner than expected

Corey
02-08-2013, 10:52 AM
The agent for Rajon Rondo tells CSNNE.com that the torn ACL injury suffered by Rondo is a partial tear, opening the door for him to possibly return to the floor sooner than anticipated.

Following the injury, Rondo's timetable to return to action was expected to be sometime before the start of next season.

"It's still too early to tell for sure," his agent Bill Duffy told CSNNE.com. "But we are very optimistic about his return now that we know his injury is only a partial tear and not a full tear."

Since he suffered the injury, Duffy said Rondo has been educating himself on all his options from which type of surgery to have performed to who will be the doctor performing it.

CSNNE.com reported earlier that the famed orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews was among the physicians Rondo planned to speak with before making a decision on the best course of action to take.

Rondo was at the TD Garden during Boston's blowout win over the Los Angeles Lakers, wearing workout clothes.

It is unclear what, if any, conditioning work he did while in the building.http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Rondo-may-return-sooner-than-expected?blockID=829731&feedID=3352

DitchDat
02-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Is there any chance that we get him back for the playoffs? Everything hinges on that. If he can't, I say blow it up.

meloman1592
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Hate Boston but this would be great for them

kdspurman
02-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Is this good news or bad news for C's fans if he's able to return? I've seen a lot of stuff about him being overrated, and not needed. I would assume it's good news but that's just me

waveycrockett
02-08-2013, 12:07 PM
They are done they just need to give up already

king4day
02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Big risk if he returns early. Probably best to use that time and fully heal. Not worth potentially reaggravating it.

heyman321
02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Celtics lose 5 straight when he returns

WickedBadMan
02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
I could have sworn one time I heard that a partial tear was almost worse since the chance for reaggrivating it was much higher.

ManRam
02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I'd still shut him down. But I ain't no docta.

Green_Monster
02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
We're playing great right now. I wouldn't mind him back for the playoffs, though.

bleedprple&gold
02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Celtics play better without him. They should hope he doesn't come back this season.

Corey
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I dont want him back this season.

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Don't risk it.

LAKobeBryant
02-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Is there any chance that we get him back for the playoffs? Everything hinges on that. If he can't, I say blow it up.

don't do it.... look at d.rose

ComplexChoices
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Watch them start to lose after he comes back.

PatsSoxKnicks
02-08-2013, 01:09 PM
He wants to come back and pad his assist/steal stats some more while destroying the great flow the Celts have played with since he's been injured. The guy literally passes up high % open shots to get assists....

KniCks4LiFe
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
they are taking better % shots w/o him. Shut his *** down.

JiffyMix88
02-08-2013, 01:31 PM
But I thought Rondo was top 3 pg y are they playing better without him?

Stinkyoutsider
02-08-2013, 01:41 PM
This guy Rondo is a tough dude? He's at the arena for the game in workout clothes, like he had a full workout on a torn acl. He must be thinking he's going to be back this year some time?

Lakers + Giants
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
After that whoopin last night I'd say they're better off without him this season.

xRipCity
02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Trade him while his value is high.
0-5 with him and then 5-0 without him isn't just a fluke anymore.
The c's seem to have much more flow and balance on offense

bleedprple&gold
02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
It's ironic that the Celtics share the ball more without their best passer. You would think it would be other way around. Now everybody touches the ball instead of just Rondo and whoever he tries to pass it to in a position to score.

Celtics33
02-08-2013, 02:19 PM
They are done they just need to give up already

Based on what?

Greenmonster24
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Rondo tries to hard hard to get triple doubles and cares more about his stats then whats best for the team this year.

waveycrockett
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Based on what?

lol are you serious? At best they are 1st round fodder for Miami or New York and if Philly gets Bynum back I could see them missing the playoffs completely. Not to mention 1 more injury to another guy in their starting lineup is a head shot.

OceanSpray
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
The Celtics are playing better because they are playing with more fire and urgency. They didn't look like the same players before. Rondo being hurt really woken up the entire team that they need to all step up. Can you explain why Nets were on a winning streak after Avery was fired? Because they actually played like they give a damn.

SteBO
02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I dont want him back this season.
Not to knock Rondo, but if I'm a Celtic fan I'd share your sentiment here. I don't what you think should happen Corey, but it's only a matter of time before this thing is going to have be blown up. Even if the opposite were to take place, why rush him back this year? Wait it out, and let him come back strongers physically and mentally for next season.

Corey
02-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Not to knock Rondo, but if I'm a Celtic fan I'd share your sentiment here. I don't what you think should happen Corey, but it's only a matter of time before this thing is going to have be blown up. Even if the opposite were to take place, why rush him back this year? Wait it out, and let him come back strongers physically and mentally for next season.

I think they should trade him anyways. They should have let KG walk and traded Pierce and Rondo in the offseason.

They're just delaying an inevitable rebuild.

They're not getting out of the East with this roster with or without Rondo unless the Heat get decimated with injuries, NY ***** the bed, and Rose isn't the same when he comes back.

gauth25
02-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Regardless if it's a full tear or not, the integrity of the ligament has been compromised and will never return to it's previous state. He can rehab it all he wants but unless it is reconstructed, it will eventually tear at some point. See James Andrews and get his opinion and go from there.

rockbottom2010
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
he won't return this season....

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Haha, it's amazing to me the amount of hate rondo gets. Has anyone looked at who they played?
Heat (KG and pierce wouldn't allow anything but max effort, no matter who was on the floor, but still the only semi-legit case against rondo IMO)
Kings (17-33)
Clippers (without cp3)
Magic (14-35)
Toronto (17-32)
Lakers ( minus pau + injured Howard, and Kobe missed some time)

I know I'm fallin right into the hate trap, where I hear how terribly overrated he is, but seriously. This team was gonna be a borderline playoff team with or without him. Anybody who had them much higher, you must have heard something I didn't.
No matter how much people wanna b***** about how he ruins this team with all his selfish assists, dude is a top 10 pg EASY (top 5 for me if adding age going forward), on a team that is already rebuilding whether people acknowledge that or not. This team added at least 6 new players to the rotation this year (terry, Barbosa, lee, sullinger, green, and fab melo), so of course rondo felt like he needed to do more, and there was going to be an adjustment period.
Can they make it another week or so? Sure, but if you look into march I have them at 6-10 when they get into a couple of rough weeks. (1st wk in march: warriors, 76ers, pacers, hawks, thunder w/in 7 days.)
Now I can understand that his usage may statistically be too high for his effectiveness, and some of his assist stats are padded, but to say he doesn't give this team a better chance to win, is severely underestimating him. Feel free to bash this outlandish opinion. Ready go.

Chronz
02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Funny how people are just now coming to the realization that he might be overrated.

Watch it get to that point where he starts getting underrated because of it

Nats_vcu-Okc35
All that said, I hope that all this talk of how overrated he is doesn't push him to be back before he's ready, whether that's this season or next.

ryang
Regardless if it's a full tear or not, the integrity of the ligament has been compromised and will never return to it's previous state. He can rehab it all he wants but unless it is reconstructed, it will eventually tear at some point. See James Andrews and get his opinion and go from there.

This. There really isnt such a thing as a partial tear. If Andrews does the surgery it will be total reconstruction. And to the people who Beleive the celtics are a better team come PLAYOFF time without rando then alls I can say is fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Funny how people are just now coming to the realization that he might be overrated.

Hahahaha see above.

JiffyMix88
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
This. There really isnt such a thing as a partial tear. If Andrews does the surgery it will be total reconstruction. And to the people who Beleive the celtics are a better team come PLAYOFF time without rando then alls I can say is fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

Well to think they would make any noise in the playoffs with Rondo let alone make it with how bad they were playing is dumb to say the least

ryang
02-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Well to think they would make any noise in the playoffs with Rondo let alone make it with how bad they were playing is dumb to say the least

Not sure if you understood me. I think Boston is done. I thought they were done as soon as Lbj went Miami. But I wasn't talking about that. My point is if you feel that Boston is better off without rondo then your dumb. Don't let a handful of regular season games fool you.

Hustlenomics
02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
The Celtics are playing better because they are playing with more fire and urgency. They didn't look like the same players before. Rondo being hurt really woken up the entire team that they need to all step up. Can you explain why Nets were on a winning streak after Avery was fired? Because they actually played like they give a damn.

Haha, it's amazing to me the amount of hate rondo gets. Has anyone looked at who they played?
Heat (KG and pierce wouldn't allow anything but max effort, no matter who was on the floor, but still the only semi-legit case against rondo IMO)
Kings (17-33)
Clippers (without cp3)
Magic (14-35)
Toronto (17-32)
Lakers ( minus pau + injured Howard, and Kobe missed some time)

I know I'm fallin right into the hate trap, where I hear how terribly overrated he is, but seriously. This team was gonna be a borderline playoff team with or without him. Anybody who had them much higher, you must have heard something I didn't.
No matter how much people wanna b***** about how he ruins this team with all his selfish assists, dude is a top 10 pg EASY (top 5 for me if adding age going forward), on a team that is already rebuilding whether people acknowledge that or not. This team added at least 6 new players to the rotation this year (terry, Barbosa, lee, sullinger, green, and fab melo), so of course rondo felt like he needed to do more, and there was going to be an adjustment period.
Can they make it another week or so? Sure, but if you look into march I have them at 6-10 when they get into a couple of rough weeks. (1st wk in march: warriors, 76ers, pacers, hawks, thunder w/in 7 days.)
Now I can understand that his usage may statistically be too high for his effectiveness, and some of his assist stats are padded, but to say he doesn't give this team a better chance to win, is severely underestimating him. Feel free to bash this outlandish opinion. Ready go.
only posts in this thread that makes sense

Hawkeye15
02-08-2013, 05:47 PM

that's how it works dude, you know that.

ccspence8
02-08-2013, 07:38 PM
He's always been underrated. I never see anyone say anything good about him. He's always not good enough for everyone. I don't understand it. People take a total of 5 games against ******/beat up teams. I didnt remember anyone hating on John Stockton or Jason Kidd. The problem is the defense. Pierce and Garnett aren't playing consistently and to be honest KG didn't play well til the 2nd half last year. And guys like Barbosa and Green weren't getting the minutes they should be.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 08:07 PM
He's always been underrated. I never see anyone say anything good about him. He's always not good enough for everyone. I don't understand it. People take a total of 5 games against ******/beat up teams. I didnt remember anyone hating on John Stockton or Jason Kidd. The problem is the defense. Pierce and Garnett aren't playing consistently and to be honest KG didn't play well til the 2nd half last year. And guys like Barbosa and Green weren't getting the minutes they should be.

Rondo peaked out in 2008-2010 - what's he done since? FT%, FG%, 3PT%, defense all downhill. Even his rebounds have gone down a bit since those years.

STL Don
02-08-2013, 08:25 PM
If I'm the Celtics I'm thinking about the big picture, long term. I would be entertaining potential trades involving Pierce, KG, Bass, Terry, etc. Rondo is who they need to build around and they need to acquire a young scorer that can feed off his playmaking ability. They're not gonna win it this year, I think that's obvious.