PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe To Say Rondo Is Overrated?

Jets012
02-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Now I will admit I am biased. I hate Rondo and I hate the people on this site who try to compare him to CP3 and guys like Westbrook and Parker. As the Celtics are about to move to 5-0 without Rondo is it safe to say that he really doesn't help a team as much as we think he does? Sure he makes nice passes, but the Celtics have been statistically better with him off the floor for the past 3 years there. Answer this: If you put Rondo on a team like the Suns last year, do they get less wins then they got with Nash?

So if you think Rondo is overrated where would you rank him among PGs? I have seen many people put him in their top 3. Has anything changed? I said this before the season and I will say it now, I would take at least 8 point guards over him.

Thoughts?

GREATNESS ONE
02-07-2013, 11:01 PM
No. Rondo is legit.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Some do, some don't. He's a unique player...and a great one too.

I think it's safe to say that ultra pass-first PGs are overrated in general. We bash "scoring" PGs all the time, yet most of the best offenses in the NBA in recent years have been led by teams with "scoring" PGs or teams without great PGs at all.

Give me a team of 5 guys that all are willing passers and active on offense, and who can all score too, over an offense that relies on one guy to set up everyone.

With Rondo, who is a tremendous playmaker, the C's get the latter. Without him, they're seeing the former.

tdg823
02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Talk to me at the end of this year...

SeoulBeatz
02-07-2013, 11:10 PM
I don't think he's overrated....

just when you call him overrated, he'll drop 16-12-16 on ur *** before you know it.

mvb815
02-07-2013, 11:12 PM
i hate the celtics, but rondo is not appriciated enough

i hate when people take a team winning with a good player injured as a sign that he is overrated

bagwell368
02-07-2013, 11:19 PM
One thing people have to consider is that not all assists are the same. Back in '07-'08 when the big 3 were close to their prime, and the secondary players were stacked, Rondo threw a lot of great passes into the paint, on the break, etc. The last few years as the Celts have became a slow/old/stodgy team, Rondo's assists numbers have gone up as he picks up players behind screens and spotting up. There are 300 people on this site that can throw those sort of passes. Most of the skill on those plays is with the shooter. Can he still throw more creative passes? Who knows? He's got to deal with 5 defensive players on his other 4 teammates because they are not guarding him.

Speaking of shooting, Rondo is brutal at FT's, 3PT's and 2PT outside of 14'. Rondo fans will try and convince you that his shooting doesn't matter, but teams using the LAL defense, have an extra guy to patrol the top of the key area defending passing lanes, or clamping a press on a good offensive player. Rondo's shooting does matter - a great deal.

What about his D? He used to be a top defender back in 2008-2010 - no more. This year he sank to new lows.

What about his triple doubles and amazing games on National TV that non Celtic fans can tell you are more than balanced off by mid season and mid week games when Rondo goes through the motions.

I am not impressed by a human highlight reel that doesn't play with consistency, can't shoot, isn't a leader, nor fit to be any better then a 4th option on a bona fide title contender talked about as a top 3 PG or a top 10 MVP candidate. It's ridiculous for those of us who watch him all the time that aren't flummoxed by the Celtic mystic, or the Rondo horse manure.

He's hasn't been great since 2009-2010 excepting a few games in the playoffs. Is that what the NBA has come to? Worshiping highlights, but missing the meat of the game totally? Pathetic.

Guppyfighter
02-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Yes. He is very overrated and always bee. The "best PG" crowd look stupid as the celtics rise and the clippers slide.

BIG worm
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
nah....Rondo is pretty damn good. The Celtics will miss Rondo a lot more come playoff time.

Cracka2HI!
02-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Same thread came out about CP3 after the Clippers had 3 impressive wins without him. Look how that turned out.

Guppyfighter
02-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Same thread came out about CP3 after the Clippers had 3 impressive wins without him. Look how that turned out.

Difference is that CP3's team puts up much better efficiency stats with him than without him and we can see the impact through the team he left and started with.

Rondo on the other hand, the Celtics have not missed a beat in the games he has missed in the last three years.

Corey
02-07-2013, 11:37 PM
I've been saying it since 2008.

Yep.

Dade County
02-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Is it safe to say that Ray Allen was right (about the C's should have more ball movement and stuff like that)? Or NBA = Entertainment happened tonight?

Guppyfighter
02-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Is it safe to say that Ray Allen was right (about the C's should have more ball movement and stuff like that)? Or NBA = Entertainment happened tonight?

You don't have critical thinking abilities, do you?

jaydubb
02-07-2013, 11:40 PM
If anything I think the guy is underrated. I admit, if he played tonight Lakers mighta lost by 40 :(

kenzo400
02-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Some do, some don't. He's a unique player...and a great one too.

I think it's safe to say that ultra pass-first PGs are overrated in general. We bash "scoring" PGs all the time, yet most of the best offenses in the NBA in recent years have been led by teams with "scoring" PGs or teams without great PGs at all.

Give me a team of 5 guys that all are willing passers and active on offense, and who can all score too, over an offense that relies on one guy to set up everyone.

With Rondo, who is a tremendous playmaker, the C's get the latter. Without him, they're seeing the former.

I give you Atlanta. Have fun!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-07-2013, 11:42 PM

Yep.

Was Rondo even rated enough though to be overrated in 2008?:laugh2:

But, I think if they face the Heat in the playoffs they may miss him. Outside of that though, the offense has drastically improved after he got injured.

KnicksR4Real
02-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Rondo is trash. I always thought this. Fact of the matter is, if you can't score, and you spend all your time focusing on passing, getting that many assists isn't as difficult as you think. If you put Greivis Vasquez in his shoes, he'd do the same, if not better at getting assists.

Sportfan
02-07-2013, 11:51 PM
No.

Doc's system was the problem. He allowed for Rondo-ball to take over, the celtics have always been best with ball movement

jmoney85
02-07-2013, 11:54 PM
I lost all respect for rondo when I seen him twice in one game not take a wide open layup and kick it out for a 3 point shot just so he could get the assists

jmoney85
02-07-2013, 11:55 PM
No.

Doc's system was the problem. He allowed for Rondo-ball to take over, the celtics have always been best with ball movement

nice sig

:laugh:

kobe4thewinbang
02-08-2013, 12:08 AM
He's not a good jump shooter, but he can make big shots in the playoffs. He lit up Miami in one game last year, scorching 3's. Otherwise, he's a great passer and great at getting to the rim. His defense isn't the best, though. The best part about Rondo is his passion and floor presence. He distracts the other team and that gives the Celtics easier shots. They're still a good team because of their other good players/veterans. I wouldn't say he's overrated.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-08-2013, 12:13 AM
wow.. not this season have you checked out his shooting numbers? it has improved a lot especially his mid range game.

i personally think he is underrated.

according to hoopdata.com,
Rondo has improved his shooting from last year significantly.

RIM- 2012-58.9% | 2013- 62.1%
3-9FT- 2012-26% | 2013- 41.2%
10-15FT- 2012- 27.8% | 2013- 37.9%
16-23FT 2012- 39% | 2013- 48%
THREES- 2012- 23.8 | 2013- 24%

now he's not an elite shooter, but he has improved in EVERY area.

Mataro41
02-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Bradley and Co have been filling in nicley but in a 7 game series Rondo would be missed

Jarvo
02-08-2013, 02:46 AM
:facepalm:

Sadds The Gr8
02-08-2013, 02:49 AM
yea...I thought he was overrated but didn't realize how much until this year.

I do think this is a situation that will burn them in the playoffs more than in the reg season though

KniCks4LiFe
02-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Not really. His style just isn't the line ups best fit. He's run n' gun, he can't shoot but he sets you up. The only change here is the vets are finally playing like they give a damn and w/ more urgency. It's basically KG stepping his game up and Jeff Green and Paul Pierce, eversince they turned into a halfcourt team that sets their offense w/ their defense.

This is what I hate about these Celtics, aslong as Doc is there them bastards just don't die.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-08-2013, 02:59 AM
Not really. His style just isn't the line ups best fit. He's run n' gun, he can't shoot but he sets you up. The only change here is the vets are finally playing like they give a damn and w/ more urgency. It's basically KG stepping his game up and Jeff Green and Paul Pierce, eversince they turned into a halfcourt team that sets their offense w/ their defense.

This is what I hate about these Celtics aslong as Doc is there them bastards just don't die.

have you seen his shooting percentages this season?

Alayla
02-08-2013, 03:05 AM
hes a top 5 to 7 PG but the top 3 nonsense people go on about baffles me and when people call him better than CP3 hoofa

Alayla
02-08-2013, 03:06 AM

24% from 3 and 65% from the free throw line are nothing the brag about

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-08-2013, 03:07 AM
24% from 3 and 65% from the free throw line are nothing the brag about

the funny thing is they are all improvements from last year. he's not as bad as people are trying to claim.

KniCks4LiFe
02-08-2013, 03:13 AM

putrid.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-08-2013, 03:14 AM
putrid.

nope. last years were putrid. this year, not so much.

KniCks4LiFe
02-08-2013, 03:21 AM
nope. last years were putrid. this year, not so much.

it's still bad.

As for the Celtics offense, the thing is now they're doing things that they didn't when they used Rondo as an excuse for. Now instead of Pierce hanging in a corner or Green hanging in a corner, they are getting the ball earlier, they are running sets w/ ball dominant players, Jeff Green is a playmaker, KG needs iso space, Pierce is an iso playermaking SG, they are out of the role that they thought best fit them to conserve energy to aging players and instead are now playing w/ more motion. They ain't watching paint dry anymore waiting for Rondo to bail them out.

PatsSoxKnicks
02-08-2013, 03:25 AM
Yes, he's overrated. And a scout had this to say about him:

"When Rondo had a chance to make the first pass to help get the ball to the other side of the court, he was not going to make that pass because he wanted to get the assist. Rondo would pound the ball until he could get a guy open for the shot so that he could get the assist. That's why the ball wasn't moving as much when they had Rondo, and it's why the ball is moving so much better now that he's out. The reason they're running more is because he didn't kick the ball ahead. He wanted to hold on to it.

But they've got to let him know that he's not the boss. Other teams knew that you should not help on Rondo [with a double team] because he just wants to get the assist. He was trying so hard to get assists that it was bad on everybody with their team."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130207/chris-paul-los-angeles-clippers/index.html

The guy passes up open shots so he can pad his assist stats and he gambles unnecessarily so he can pad his steals stats.

KniCks4LiFe
02-08-2013, 03:28 AM
that's a big claim. They basically calling him Starbury w/ no jumpshot.

TheNumber37
02-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Can you really compare the Celtics going on a 7 game win streak (to which Rondo has been part of longer ones) without Rondo to the work he's done there for the past 3 years.

How many teams are better without their starting all star game player?

Hawkeye15
02-08-2013, 04:09 AM
Too early to make an assumption, but I have been keeping track of the C's numbers since he was hurt, and will continue to do so. I personally don't think there will be much of a dropoff.

Hawkeye15
02-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Yes, he's overrated. And a scout had this to say about him:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130207/chris-paul-los-angeles-clippers/index.html

The guy passes up open shots so he can pad his assist stats and he gambles unnecessarily so he can pad his steals stats.

I think this is absolutely true. I just don't understand how people don't see through his game.

kobe4thewinbang
02-08-2013, 08:42 AM
wow.. not this season have you checked out his shooting numbers? it has improved a lot especially his mid range game.

now he's not an elite shooter, but he has improved in EVERY area.Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite players. I hope he's still effective after his injury heals. I heard he'd been working on his jump shot, too. Sorry if it seemed like I didn't know of his efforts. Those numbers have great upside. He's becoming a smarter player, picking his spots. I just don't think he'll ever be a closer with big shot scenarios away from the rim.

king4day
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
I think he's going to get traded this offseason. Especially if they decide to rebuild.

ManRam
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
I give you Atlanta. Have fun!

The problem with Atlanta is that they have no one in the back court or on the wing who can break down a defense. It's not that they don't have a great passing PG, they just don't have any playmakers really.

gwrighter
02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Celtics couldn't keep up this level of play for 82games. Rondo takes that pressure off of them.

Longhornfan1234
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Nope. He's the best PG in the NBA, and it's not even that close. Walking triple double, best rebounder at the PG position, and best playoff performer at the PG position.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 11:24 AM

now he's not an elite shooter, but he has improved in EVERY area.

Nice, data, where is the FT% for his career by year? Also a .2 improvement on 3PT is hardly notable except in a stat list. Also 37.9% at 10-15 feet sucks.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
the funny thing is they are all improvements from last year. he's not as bad as people are trying to claim.

Last year was a down year, why don't you look at his FT% from his rookie year (best so far in his career), or his FG/3PT from 2008-2010, better then 2010-2011, 2011-2012, and 2012-2013. He's already in his decline, this injury won't help.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Can you really compare the Celtics going on a 7 game win streak (to which Rondo has been part of longer ones) without Rondo to the work he's done there for the past 3 years.

How many teams are better without their starting all star game player?

Only because the ECF is weak and Rondo's reputation is huge did he get that. At the time he went out he was somewhere between the 8th and 12th best PG in NBA this year. That's no All Star.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Nope. He's the best PG in the NBA, and it's not even that close. Walking triple double, best rebounder at the PG position, and best playoff performer at the PG position.

Did you ever see his triple double percentage on National TV games and local TV? I see him play all the time and have since 2007-2008, and he's erratic, can't shoot, stat padding, immature, non leader, baby.

Rebounding is well under scoring, passing, dribbling, and defense for a PG. Rondo is poor at scoring/shooting and defense (this year he was brutal). Having a PG that can pass, dribble and rebound doesn't make up for the rest of it.

Rain City
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
with rondo out of the way i think it allows doc to coach alot better and use spacing.

i think this questions can be answered better at the end of the yr, maybe celts are just hot shooting right now and will cool off but i lean to saying he is a bit overrated, even if hes capable of carrying the team on a given night, hes not the type of player that can do it consistently.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite players. I hope he's still effective after his injury heals. I heard he'd been working on his jump shot, too. Sorry if it seemed like I didn't know of his efforts. Those numbers have great upside. He's becoming a smarter player, picking his spots. I just don't think he'll ever be a closer with big shot scenarios away from the rim.

The guy is already half way through his career, with the big 3 possibly gone before he sets foot on the court again. WTF is he waiting for? He's not a leader, and any team with him as the #1 or #2 offensive option will be a lottery team.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Celtics couldn't keep up this level of play for 82games. Rondo takes that pressure off of them.

How? When he holds the ball outside of the key/elbow nobody defends him, so it's 5 on 4 D on the rest of his teammates. How does that help? He only shows up for national TV games, how does that help? He's erratic, and the opposite of a leader - how does that help? He's given up playing D except for the usual 2-6 gambles at a steal per game - resulting in more points lost than points gained.

I wish more people knew what WTH they were talking about around here....

Dankster
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't think he's overrated at all. I'd love it if he were a Knick. He's one of the best and most unique PG's I've seen in quite some time.

JLynn943
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I think he's overrated. Can't shoot, major attitude issues, and had the benefit of playing with great players. He's certainly a very good passer still imo and can defend when he wants, but considering some have him top 5, he's overrated.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 11:45 AM

FT: Last two years were his career worst years in FT%. His rookie year, this year, and one other year are his 3 best. Career he is an abysmal .621

3PT: His 3's this year were .001 off his career number - a pathetic .241

TS% - eFG%: This year 3rd best of his career, better than last two year, below 2008-2010. This year is still poor for a supposed All Stat, best player on team.

Rondo's ORtg this year is 244/448

Rondo's DRtg this year is 80/448

How is Rondo an all star?

Rondo is 141/448 in WS/48

You people that only see him on National TV should study the box scores/tapes a bit closer.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Last year was a down year, why don't you look at his FT% from his rookie year (best so far in his career), or his FG/3PT from 2008-2010, better then 2010-2011, 2011-2012, and 2012-2013. He's already in his decline, this injury won't help.

so according to you, his ft% dictates how good of a shooter he is? because from the breakdown, he's actually improved his shooting significantly from all areas. now again, im not saying he's elite, and im not talking about his offense nor about him being ranked upon the top 5 best pgs in the league, im simply saying the steroetype of "rondo cant shoot" is greatly exaggerated.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
FT: Last two years were his career worst years in FT%. His rookie year, this year, and one other year are his 3 best. Career he is an abysmal .621

3PT: His 3's this year were .001 off his career number - a pathetic .241

TS% - eFG%: This year 3rd best of his career, better than last two year, below 2008-2010. This year is still poor for a supposed All Stat, best player on team.

Rondo's ORtg this year is 244/448

Rondo's DRtg this year is 80/448

How is Rondo an all star?

Rondo is 141/448 in WS/48

You people that only see him on National TV should study the box scores/tapes a bit closer.

well if you place him top 5 pg, i can see how you could say he is overrated, i place him top 10. and his shooting has improved this year..
time will tell whether it was a fluke or not..

2-ONE-5
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
so if Rondo is overrated because the C's are playing better without him does that mean that Rose is overrated? Granger?

Also the Celtics still have the same problem they have had all year and that is size and rebounding. Even if they make the playoffs they are getting swept, maybe go 5 at best. This is just gonna take a toll on KG and Peirce by playoff time

Collings94
02-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I think we can all agree that when Rondo is playing at his best, he is as good as any other PG in the NBA.

I think his inconsistencies and his bad attitude make him unlikeable, and that can attribute to people wanting to call him overrated.

yaswaggin
02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
He's currently the 3rd best pg in his own division

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
When Rondo was on the court all the other players ever did was spot up for jump shots. They weren't moving without the basketball like they are now. A lot of players need to have the ball in their hands at least sometimes so they can get their games going without the ball. I think we're seeing that Green, Terry, Lee, Bass, etc. are all more active throughout the game when they have more plays that go through them. The team just looks like they all seem more involved.

I've maintained for a while now that the issue with Rondo isn't how good he is, but rather his play style. There aren't a lot of NBA players that feel comfortable playing off the ball pretty much exclusively like you have to when Rondo is on your team. if you could find players that can do that and still not lose the flow of the game, I think he's a fantastic player. The problem is those hypothetical teammates are more a dream than reality.

KniCks4LiFe
02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't think he's overrated at all. I'd love it if he were a Knick. He's one of the best and most unique PG's I've seen in quite some time.

he's a little overrated. The rap on him is that he passes for padding up his assists and usually it's for bad % shots. Rondo passes up taking open high % shots or leading a pass to create better spacing and instead would opt to get his shooters in shoot only situtations, forcing up bad shots, forcing a congested offensive scheme, forcing the Celtics to overplay on the defensive side of the ball. The Celtics right now are shooting a great % they were ranked in the low 20's for most of the season in offensive efficiency, this past run has them shooting at #7 in the whole NBA in offensive efficiency. They are 4th in the eastern conference in offensive efficiency. Meaning the Celtics w/o Rondo are taking better shots.

True Sports Fan
02-08-2013, 03:56 PM
If Rajon Rondo is overrated, then the Kings should acquire him.

AIRMAR72
02-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Rubbish

farren.louis
02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Triple doubles speak for themselves. Yes Boston is doing well but when the playoffs start, you'll see.

farren.louis
02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
I believe the celtics overused rondo he great but ball movement wasnt their

Wade n Fade
02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
I think Rondo is one of the best PGs in the NBA. A bit overrated, yes. He does pass the ball too much. People down play his immaturity. He doesn't have a jumpshot. If he could score, imagine stopping him. I hate Rondo, but still think he is very talented.

Collings94
02-08-2013, 05:07 PM
People are talking about how good the Celtics are playing right now without him. Are we forgetting how good he played last year in the playoffs? When an old C's team took Miami to 7?

LeperMessiah
02-08-2013, 05:15 PM
No it's not safe to say.

He115ing
02-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I don't like Rondo as well. He has temper problems and I dont think he would get along with any coach. It is kind of strange that Celtics are doing so well without him. If he had a laid back personality he would be great but his temper issues make him a gamble imo.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Overrated threads are overrated.

boateng
02-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't like Rondo as well. He has temper problems and I dont think he would get along with any coach. It is kind of strange that Celtics are doing so well without him. If he had a laid back personality he would be great but his temper issues make him a gamble imo.

doc rivers loves him and talks him up all the time, so ''not getting on with any coach'' isn't accurate.

NYKNYGNYY
02-08-2013, 06:55 PM
no hes been gone a week how can you assess this situation that much

Blitzbolt
02-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Rondo is a true PG now a days you see alot of combo scoring guards taking over the position.So no besides CP3 Rondo next as a true PG.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 08:10 PM
People are talking about how good the Celtics are playing right now without him. Are we forgetting how good he played last year in the playoffs? When an old C's team took Miami to 7?

And one of the worst teams in the playoffs took them to 7 games. If Bosh was around and healthy Miami would have bounced the Celts in 5. If Rose was healthy and on the Bulls, that would have done the number as well.

ATX
02-08-2013, 08:16 PM
I can't stand Rondo but players that can put up trip dubs almost at will don't grow on trees. He's a very very good player and an elite PG. I don't think he's overrated.

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Rondo is a true PG now a days you see alot of combo scoring guards taking over the position.So no besides CP3 Rondo next as a true PG.

That's probably true. He does have the second best "pure PG" skill set behind CP3 IMO, but I question whether that skill set leads to wins with the pieces BOS has around Rondo.

bagwell368
02-08-2013, 08:21 PM
doc rivers loves him and talks him up all the time, so ''not getting on with any coach'' isn't accurate.

You're not a Celt fan, I am.

Rondo's college coach Tubby Smith labeled him "uncoachable". A comment he rescinded in 2012. Doc Rivers AND Danny Ainge both used the same word (and others) to describe Rondo, but stopped in late 2010 because it was hurting Rondo's feelings and his trade value. The only other Coach he had (Coach K.) refuses to be quoted, but rumors are that he was disgusted by Rondo's quitting Team USA, rather than be cut in favor of Westbrook, and then Rondo's camp claimed he quit due to the death of a family member - weeks earlier.

Rondo is moody, erratic, only gets up for games he cares about, and dogs other ones. He started a fight with a Celt broadcaster (Cedric Maxwell (the only player to be name Finals MVP that isn't in the HOF BTW)) last year, and he picked a fight with a photogropher. The year before he destroyed team media equipment when he had a hissy fit. He's been suspended several times for on court idiocy as well. He's no kid anymore, and is roughly halfway through his career. Is he a leader? No. Is he a top 3 or 5 PG? No. Does he deserve the MVP vote (about 7 thousands of a MVP share the last two years)?

Do you have any actual data or insight into Rondo that can challenge that?

Nighthawk
02-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Everybody praises Rondos performance last playoffs. And i agree, his numbers were nice and pretty. But just like faithful master Bill Belichick once said "stats are for losers".

Honestly last season in the playoffs are path was a good one. Hawks and Philly arent exactly championship material atleast imo. Without Rondo last year i think Philly and ATL could have been beat. All i know is the team has looked better in six games without Rondo than it has any time in the previous 43 with him. Sure, this winning streak wont last all season and at times this group wont look so good. But i think this team will definitely make the playoffs and could even slide up to 6 or 5. Im liking this group ALOT

AsfanSince99
02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Rondo's not overrated.
But I feel he's not appreciated in Boston; they're always trying to trade him. I hope they finally do, I hate the Celtics.

Hawkeye15
02-08-2013, 10:14 PM
That's probably true. He does have the second best "pure PG" skill set behind CP3 IMO, but I question whether that skill set leads to wins with the pieces BOS has around Rondo.

I am so sick of the term "pure PG". As a PG, your job is to lead the team, and be the coach on the floor. If that means you need to be a scorer, so be it. If that means you have players around you that can score, and your job is to get them involved, so be it. But watching Rondo, he literally goes out of his way to pad his assist numbers, only shows up when he feels like it, and seems nearly uncoachable.

I wouldn't trade Rubio for him as a Wolves fan.

Kashmir13579
02-08-2013, 10:26 PM

Yep.

Isn't it at all possible you want him to be something he's not, failing to appreciate what he actually is? I've fallen victim to this kind of thinking in regards to certain players in Knick uniform over the years.

I guess he is overrated if people wanna compare him to Chris Paul, but regardless i think he's a special player. I hate his guts too.

hugepatsfan
02-08-2013, 10:31 PM
I am so sick of the term "pure PG". As a PG, your job is to lead the team, and be the coach on the floor. If that means you need to be a scorer, so be it. If that means you have players around you that can score, and your job is to get them involved, so be it. But watching Rondo, he literally goes out of his way to pad his assist numbers, only shows up when he feels like it, and seems nearly uncoachable.

I wouldn't trade Rubio for him as a Wolves fan.

I don't use "pure PG" as a good or bad term. I use it as a description of skill set.

And I agree about Rondo padding his assist #s. I have no idea why he does it either. A lot of times he gives up easy layups to make a pass. The funny thing is people would probably think better of him as a player if he turned those 1-2 plays a game into made baskets rather than assists.

yaswaggin
02-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I don't use "pure PG" as a good or bad term. I use it as a description of skill set.

And I agree about Rondo padding his assist #s. I have no idea why he does it either. A lot of times he gives up easy layups to make a pass. The funny thing is people would probably think better of him as a player if he turned those 1-2 plays a game into made baskets rather than assists.

He also has the ball way too much, very little ball movement

It's like he's playing 2k and freestyling instead of running the play

C-Dub
02-08-2013, 11:55 PM
he is one of the best pure pgs in the game. like any other really talented all star caliber player tho, he needs a team around him that fits his strengths/weaknesses. i love watchin dude play, and he does make players around him better. the celtics just also have players that kno how to step up. i dont think them being 5-0 without him is a knock on him at all