PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard says he won't take long-term risk just to return to save Lakers.

Longhornfan1234
02-07-2013, 01:23 PM
gary washburn ‏@GwashNBAGlobe

Dwight Howard says he won't take long-term risk just to return to save #lakers "This is my career. Nobody else is going to take care of me."
Retweeted by Ken Berger

https://mobile.twitter.com/GwashNBAGlobe

I think it's a very smart move from Howard.

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm actually w/ him on this. Hey if you gotta be public enemy #1 in LA to get back your franchise player health somewhere else, do it. The Lakers can't emotionally own you. And it's D'Antoni com'on.

beliges
02-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Its looking more and more like D12 is not built to be a cornerstone of a franchise like the Lakers. Frankly he has been exposed has highly overrated since playing for the Lakers. What a great set up.for Dwight to return and save the Lakers season but he is making it clear with this statement that not only does he not care too much about winning but he also probably wont be back.with the Lakers next year. And ironically enough I don't think laker fans are going to care too much when he leaves.

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM
He has to get healthy first. D12 ain't good to no one playing hurt.

8kobe24
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM
S'all about the benjamins.

DoMeFavors
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
he has a 1 yr deal with Lakers, why should he play for them when he has no long time security? He doesnt want to play there its obvious.

beliges
02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
He has to get healthy first. D12 ain't good to no one playing hurt.

Everyone's banged up. Dwight is supposed to be a franchise player, not a role player. You're supposed to get out there when your team needs you the most. You can tell he doesn't care too much about being a laker of he continues to sit. This statement shows Dwight main goal is not winning. Laker fans will turn on this guy especially since I don't think any of them.care too much if he leaves at this point. My my oh how we all overrated this guy for such a long time.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Wrote this in the Lakers forum, since I'm a Lakers fan now!

I got Dwight's back on this. He's playing with a partially torn labrum, and has tried to play through it basically all year. It keeps on getting reaggravated, and it is the type of injury that could easily turn into something major. The worst thing that could happen is he plays through it and completely tears it and is forced to miss the whole season.

This isn't Kobe playing with a broken finger. This isn't Kobe playing in the Finals with a sprained ankle (I'm sure Dwight would be out there in the Finals) or playing with sprained ankles a number of times. This isn't a minor back injury again in the playoffs (2008). This isn't Kobe getting his knee drained to help him play through it...because his balky knee wasn't going to get worse due to injury in 2010.

This is more akin to Kobe's shoulder injury where he missed 20 games.

Kobe is a warrior, and definitely more so than Dwight. I'm sure he knows more about it than we do, so maybe he's right...but I think this isn't the right thing for him to be barking to the media about. I can't blame Dwight for worrying more about his entire career than just one season, and I think in most circumstances no one would blame him (look at the criticism Shannahan got for playing RGIII)...but I get why Kobe is more desperate. This is his career. He's approaching free agency. He has the right, especially if the doctors agree (which by all accounts they do), to take it slow. Missing 6-7 games is a lot less worse than missing the rest of the season because you came back too quick.

I'm not sure this is how you motivate Dwight either. I also don't think Dwight should care about Kobe's doctor advice.

Also, it's not like Dwight's NOT trying. He has been playing through it all year basically. He's missed only 6 games because of it, and it's clearly not getting better and clearly keeps getting reaggravated.

The dude says there are times, in addition to his labrum, that he can't even feel his legs because of the back surgery. Let's quit acting like he's being a baby in terms of these injuries. He might be a baby, but playing through injuries has NEVER been a problem with him. Hell, even with the Magic last year, after all the **** he did and after how clear it was he couldn't care less being there, he pushed through that back problem to the point where it all went to hell. Dude never had missed a game in his first 4 seasons, and played through a litany of injuries, including sprained ankles like Kobe.

6cadi6
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Good. :clap:

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Everyone's banged up. Dwight is supposed to be a franchise player, not a role player. You're supposed to get out there when your team needs you the most. You can tell he doesn't care too much about being a laker of he continues to sit. This statement shows Dwight main goal is not winning. Laker fans will turn on this guy especially since I don't think any of them.care too much if he leaves at this point. My my oh how we all overrated this guy for such a long time.

WTF? he has a torn labrum that every time he goes up for a dunk someone is pulling his arm. It keeps getting torn and that's his career we're talking about. He's not good to you or anybody breaking his shoulder. And he's still not fully 100%, if anything he returned to quick and should have sat out.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
WTF? he has a torn labrum that every time he goes up for a dunk someone is pulling his arm. It keeps getting torn and that's his career we're talking about. He's not good to you or anybody breaking his shoulder. And he's still not fully 100%, if anything he returned to quick and should have sat out.

Not to mention he's already playing at well under 100%, dealing with repercussions from the offseason surgery. He still is dealing with nerve problems in his lower limbs because of it...and most recently he said there are times where he loses a lot of feeling in his legs (which makes sense considering the nature of that back surgery).

Being a franchise player doesn't mean you have to play though serious injuries. The most important part of being a franchise player is playing a lot of games for your team...and taking 6-7 games off to make sure it isn't 60-70 games is the right move.

And let's not act like Dwight doesn't play through injuries. He did it plenty of times with us in Orlando. I could have counted all the games he had missed in his career at a point last year on one hand. His last games with the Magic he was playing though serious pain...for a team he probably didn't even care about.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
I knew when Kobe said that yesterday about "Dwight needing to step up and play through the injury" it would go badly ... I see both sides for sure ... it makes zero sense for dwight to play through this risking more injury ... ESP when he has no guaranteed money past this season.... I don't know I just really do not see him staying in LA ... I think a team like the rockets could have become much more attractive to him with the harden trade ... also teams like atl and Dallas ... just cause he would be alpha there and Dallas may be weak right now by Cuban isn't afraid to spend and dwight knows that ...

DODGERS&LAKERS
If you cant go because you are injured than you cant go. He has played hurt all year. He is not a little girl. If he is not getting out there than he must be really injured. Its just sports. Why do we feel that these guys owe us their hearts, bodies, and soul. I want him to come back if he just has to play through pain. But if he is going to be hurting the team, I would rather role with the last pick of the draft Robert Sacre.

D-Leethal
Houston is going to be scary next year with Dwight.

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 01:45 PM

this. I heard he's looking at them seriously.

DoMeFavors
02-07-2013, 01:46 PM

not a great supporting cast and he has made it known he wants a big market. Houston aint that

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
not a great supporting cast and he has made it known he wants a big market. Houston aint that

He ain't going to Brooklyn. That ship has come and gone. Dwight is looking at Houston b/c them mofos can score. The Heat coach even said that's a tough bunch to stop.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
I knew when Kobe said that yesterday about "Dwight needing to step up and play through the injury" it would go badly ... I see both sides for sure ... it makes zero sense for dwight to play through this risking more injury ... ESP when he has no guaranteed money past this season.... I don't know I just really do not see him staying in LA ... I think a team like the rockets could have become much more attractive to him with the harden trade ... also teams like atl and Dallas ... just cause he would be alpha there and Dallas may be weak right now by Cuban isn't afraid to spend and dwight knows that ...

I think he sees that the Lakers are not afraid to spend either.....

Have you ever been to Houston? In my opinion it is the worst large city in America. But that is just me. I love Dallas but they are in the same situation the Lakers are in. If not worse. I always liked Atlanta for Dwight. But apparently he is not to keen on going back there to play.

I dont know if they can do this but I would do a sign and trade at the end of the year with the Nets. Dwight gets to go where he wants and his max money

Longhornfan1234

Harden and Parsons >>>>>> fat/inefficient Williams, old and declining Joe, and soft Lopez.

DanG
lol @ dwight to rockets

kduce
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
I understand why Kobe expects him to play and wants him to play hurt for the team, but Dwight doesn't have a long term contract and isn't LA's golden boy like Kobe. If he hurts himself badly and has to sit out a year there is no guarantee the Lakers are going to sign him and pay him just because he played hurt for them. This is a business, you cant say that Dwight doesn't want to win just because he doesn't play hurt... he is protecting his product, him! If he gets hurt and ends up out for the whole season it doesn't help anyone including the Lakers. If he had a contract for next year and this was the playoffs id have a different opinion, but this team right now isnt even seeded to make the playoffs and you want him to risk a more serious injury for a team that might not even make the post season? The team has to make the playoffs first and if they cant even do that without him then whats the point anyways?

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
Lol a cast of lin harden parsons and the dude with the crazy name isn't a good cast favors? What u smoking bra?

29$JerZ

Do you even bother to do research?

Team Value 1-yr chge
1. Knicks $1.1 b 41 %
2. Lakers $1 b 11 %
3. Bulls $800 m 33 %
4. Celtics $730 m 51 %
5. Mavericks $685 m 38 %
6. Heat $625 m 37 %
7. Rockets $568 m 25 %
8. Warriors $555 m 23 %
9. Nets $530 m 48 %
10. Spurs $527 m 26 %

They are valuable...

And not a great supporting cast?

Snakeyestx
02-07-2013, 01:54 PM

this. I heard he's looking at them seriously.

He ain't going to Brooklyn. That ship has come and gone. Dwight is looking at Houston b/c them mofos can score. The Heat coach even said that's a tough bunch to stop.

Ooooh stop playing with my emotions like that mannnnn! :p

MossyMoss
02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
gary washburn ‏@GwashNBAGlobe

Dwight Howard says he won't take long-term risk just to return to save #lakers "This is my career. Nobody else is going to take care of me."
Retweeted by Ken Berger

https://mobile.twitter.com/GwashNBAGlobe

I think it's a very smart move from Howard.

Sounds like Howard wants a long term guaranteed money to be financially secured.. Lakers are the only team that can offer him a Max Contract.. Not only can Lakers offer him money, but a team that can bring him championships throughout his young career. I see Howard staying in LA

*Superman*
02-07-2013, 01:57 PM

I've read about it also.

The Houston Rockets were involved in trade talks, but Howard appeared unwilling to commit long-term to the franchise.

But sources say Howard is aware that the Rockets have emerged as a more attract destination due to their acquisition of James Harden.

Howard reportedly does not want to play in his hometown of Atlanta, and the Mavericks have been trending in the wrong direction from a few months ago.

The Rockets will also pursue Andrew Bynum if Howard is unavailable.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 01:57 PM

:laugh:

I know all you do is troll, but I'm sure you're actually being serious.

Houston is the 4th most populated city in the United states. Jerz enlightened you to it's "market" size too.

And no cast? Haha. They are 4th in offensive rating, 4th in team eFG%, and 3rd in FT/FGA. They're a tremendous offensive team. What do they need help with? Oh, defense. Who's the most impacting defender in the NBA when 100% healthy. Oh yeah, Dwight Howard.

It's a perfect fit.

BUT...I don't think anything Kobe said these past 24 hours is making him more or less likely to leave. This has no bearing on it at all.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Sounds like Howard wants a long term guaranteed money to be financially secured.. Lakers are the only team that can offer him a Max Contract.. Not only can Lakers offer him money, but a team that can bring him championships throughout his young career. I see Howard staying in LA

I don't think that translates to "my career means making the most money possible". I think it literally just means that he doesn't want a major injury, and that this free agency period is important to him. He wants to be healthy.

I don't think, again, anything from this story...be it Kobe's silly comments or Dwight's defense, are an indication of where he'll be playing next year.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Dwights injuries may help the Lakers in being able to sign Howard. With all those injuries, that 5th guaranteed year and extra guaranteed $30 million may be more appealing than ever.

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Dwight Howard previously wanted a trade from the Orlando Magic to either the Brooklyn Nets, Los Angeles Lakers or Dallas Mavericks.

The Houston Rockets were involved in trade talks, but Howard appeared unwilling to commit long-term to the franchise.

But sources say Howard is aware that the Rockets have emerged as a more attract destination due to their acquisition of James Harden.

Howard reportedly does not want to play in his hometown of Atlanta, and the Mavericks have been trending in the wrong direction from a few months ago.

The Rockets will also pursue Andrew Bynum if Howard is unavailable.

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

mdm692
02-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Come to Phx D12 we can pair you up with J-Smoove and unlike the Lakers we will actually take care of you and you don't have to deal with the ego maniac known as Kobe.

TheBlackHole
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Howards ***** *** is never going to be happy. You were the man in orlando but that wasnt good enough for you. You go to the la ****ing lakers, and that is too much to handle, its obvious how quickly he threw in the towel on that team. Why would anyone want this douche on their team?? He is extremely mentally immature. He needs to fix his head before he worries about his shoulder. Dude is a complete joke. He must have forgot he is a proffessional ball player and thinks hes one of the ringling brothers.

ComplexChoices
02-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Sorry to break some of your guys' bubbles, but Dwight is staying in LA.

Snakeyestx
02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Howards ***** *** is never going to be happy. You were the man in orlando but that wasnt good enough for you. You go to the la ****ing lakers, and that is too much to handle, its obvious how quickly he threw in the towel on that team. Why would anyone want this douche on their team?? He is extremely mentally immature. He needs to fix his head before he worries about his shoulder. Dude is a complete joke. He must have forgot he is a proffessional ball player and thinks hes one of the ringling brothers.

Maybe it's because the coaches he's been under are too busy cupping his balls and appeasing him rather than actually putting their foot down and culturing him to be a serious threat on the roster again.

You know Kevin McHale, despite all his shortcomings has this interesting way of handling premadonnas like this. He says "If you don't want to produce, you can sit next to me on the bench." Nothing frustrates a good player more than having minutes taken away. Even for someone who's as "flamboyant" as Howard, this would eventually eat away at him.

Houston is one dominant Center away from being a serious threat in the West. Howard knows this, Eric Spoelstra knows this per his post-game interview last night, LBJ knows this per his post-game interview last night, Golden State knows this, the entire team.

Nothing would be scarier than a front court pairing of Howard at the 5 and Asik moved over to Power Forward.

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry to break some of your guys' bubbles, but Dwight is staying in LA.

when he leaves will you cry?

DoMeFavors
02-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Houston is the 4th most populated city in the United states. Jerz enlightened you to it's "market" size too.

And no cast? Haha. They are 4th in offensive rating, 4th in team eFG%, and 3rd in FT/FGA. They're a tremendous offensive team. What do they need help with? Oh, defense. Who's the most impacting defender in the NBA when 100% healthy. Oh yeah, Dwight Howard.

It's a perfect fit.

BUT...I don't think anything Kobe said these past 24 hours is making him more or less likely to leave. This has no bearing on it at all.

its not a destination a player like Dwight would go to. Dallas is the only big market in Texas and its not even close.

Harden and Parsons are going to be the 2nd and 3rd best players on Dwights team? that is worse than Orlando. He aint going there guys.

mdm692
02-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Maybe it's because the coaches he's been under are too busy cupping his balls and appeasing him rather than actually putting their foot down and culturing him to be a serious threat on the roster again.

You know Kevin McHale, despite all his shortcomings has this interesting way of handling premadonnas like this. He says "If you don't want to produce, you can sit next to me on the bench." Nothing frustrates a good player more than having minutes taken away. Even for someone who's as "flamboyant" as Howard, this would eventually eat away at him.

Houston is one dominant Center away from being a serious threat in the West. Howard knows this, Eric Spoelstra knows this per his post-game interview last night, LBJ knows this per his post-game interview last night, Golden State knows this, the entire team.

Nothing would be scarier than a front court pairing of Howard at the 5 and Asik moved over to Power Forward.

:clap: The Lakers have no one to blame except the FO. They hired Mike D' and expect him to keep all these egos in check lol.

unwantedplayer
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM

I hope you're kidding.

mdm692
02-07-2013, 02:25 PM
its not a destination a player like Dwight would go to. Dallas is the only big market in Texas and its not even close.

Harden and Parsons are going to be the 2nd and 3rd best players on Dwights team? that is worse than Orlando. He aint going there guys.
:facepalm: And "air ball" Teletovic is 6th man of the year, the Bulls won't make the playoffs and the Nets are a contender. Just stop you're embarrassing yourself and the rest of the Nets fan base every single prediction you've made has been wrong.

KniCks4LiFe
*edit double post*

KniCks4LiFe
I hope you're kidding.

sadly no.

JiffyMix88
02-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

:puke:

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
02-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Harden and parsons are worse then what he had in Orlando? Bro ur whack lol we are magic fans and Dwight NEVER had a scorer in Orlando even close to hardens level ....

29$JerZ
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM

False. Houston is a big market team.

Everyone knows for whatever reason in your Brain Harden is overrated despite being the 3rd best SG in the NBA and has proven he can be either a 1st or 2nd option.

Houston has nothing but role players to pair along side a Dwight Howard, that's why they rebuilt the way they did.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2009.html
This was their Finals roster. You are telling me Lin/Harden/Parsons/Asik with Delfino/Morris/Patterson is worse than Jameer/Lee/Redick/Hedo/Pietrus/Gortat?

Please.

mightybosstone
02-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Your ignorance never fails to amaze me.

JiffyMix88
02-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Hey I've seen you post before but I couldn't help but notice your name is DOMEFAVORS, you're a Nets fan and your join date is when ya'll drafted Favors.

So my question to you is does your name refer to you wanting Derrick Favors to have sex with you anally?

farren.louis
02-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Dwight doesn't have a reason to stay in LA , everyone think he should stay because of the lakers history . F&$? The lakers history . The current team is history their all old . If Dwight wanted to save a franchise he would've stayed in orlando

justinnum1
02-07-2013, 02:43 PM
What a *****

shep33
02-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Imagine if Dwight went to Brooklyn for a second. The LA media isn't half as harsh, Dwight would be crucified there like Deron, Melo, and Stat have all been.

kdspurman
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
What a *****

For not wanting to potentially make his injury worse? Yea not sure I understand that one. He's a big dude that guys wrap up all the time to prevent him from going up. That will literally grab his shoulders. I don't see anything wrong with it, and I haven't agreed with a lot of stuff Dwight has done in the last year or 2

oak2455
02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
if he takes his cancerous azz to Houston, the rest of the league might have a problem .

shep33
02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Also, I think there is a lot of misinterpretation on this whole thing. This is from Kobe today:

But Bryant said Thursday he wasn't prodding Howard to return.

"Not even a little bit," Bryant said in a quiet moment after the team's morning shoot-around, adding that he was surprised at the tone of the ESPN story. "In this case, it's not legitimate. I was shocked."

Bryant has a high threshold for pain, as evidenced plenty of times in the past. Howard has missed six games and left two others because of a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

Bryant understood that his own pain tolerance was through the charts.

"I'm crazy, though, so I don't put that on other people," he said.

oak2455
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Hey I've seen you post before but I couldn't help but notice your name is DOMEFAVORS, you're a Nets fan and your join date is when ya'll drafted Favors.

So my question to you is does your name refer to you wanting Derrick Favors to have sex with you anally?

oak2455
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM

he aint going to Brooklyn so close that book

Mr_Amaziing
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
if he takes his cancerous azz to Houston, the rest of the league might have a problem .

Imagine if Okc Amnesty Perkins, Let Martin walk and sign Howard...

Probably a long shot but its worth a try

Westbrook
Sefo
Durant
Ibaka
Howard

and their bench would be stacked.

Jackson
Lamb
Jones
Collison
Thabeet

:D That would be SCARY

He115ing
02-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Howard and smart should not be used in the same sentence, unless the sentence is "Howard is not smart".

ink
02-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Its looking more and more like D12 is not built to be a cornerstone of a franchise like the Lakers.

No doubt. He never was. Mentally very weak. They need to unload him asap.

chong2204
02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Howard to the Seattle SuperSonics in the off-season.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Also, I think there is a lot of misinterpretation on this whole thing. This is from Kobe today:

There were things in the original article that suggested that Kobe wasn't actually telling him to man up.

But then there are blatant quotes from Kobe essentially saying "man up". Maybe he is back peddling (as he should IMO)...but still, there's some clear phrases from Kobe there that suggest he thinks Dwight shouldn't be missing time.

Unless they botched the actual quotes, I can't see how he can claim he wasn't suggesting what the article suggested he was. It's not even a matter of context.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I also don't buy the whole "Dwight can't handle LA thing". He loves the spotlight, and while it's unknown how he can deal with criticism, he's never really shied away from it or let it impact his play in the past. I get that LA is a whole different beast here, but he's not caught up in any more drama than Kobe or Shaq ever got. They brought the circus to town as well. The drop off in play is the only way to prove it, but I'm still certain that 90% of his problems on the court are health related...and have nothing to do with the spotlight.

He's mentally weak in many regards, but if he's happy where he is, he's absolutely a franchise cornerstone for any team there is. Once LA figures things out he'll be fine. I think a lot of the crap he gets is sensationalism and overblown.

But I can't prove that. I don't think people can prove the opposite either.

Also, why am I defending Dwight more NOW than I probably ever did when he was on my team? I'm so confused.

Guppyfighter
02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
The Rockets are a contender for the finals if they get Dwight next year.

oak2455
02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Imagine if Okc Amnesty Perkins, Let Martin walk and sign Howard...

Probably a long shot but its worth a try

Westbrook
Sefo
Durant
Ibaka
Howard

and their bench would be stacked.

Jackson
Lamb
Jones
Collison
Thabeet

:D That would be SCARY
That would be..... he would work on a lot of teams he just needs to get healthy and stfu ;)

NYJ - NYY
02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
i like the rockets man they whooped our ***** twice and looked scary good doing it... if they get howard which could happen... watch out...the NBA should be notice and they will have a ridiculous team! just good enough to lose in the finals to my knicks ;)

and DMF... really guy really .. youre the pits man

LongIslandIcedZ
02-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Anyone hear the interview with Dwight where they ask if he spoke to Kobe?

It was awkward as hell.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Come to Phx D12 we can pair you up with J-Smoove and unlike the Lakers we will actually take care of you and you don't have to deal with the ego maniac known as Kobe.

Nobody wants anything to do with lame *** Phoenix buddy.

JNoel
02-07-2013, 04:07 PM
He looks generally unhappy, partially due to injury, and partially due to criticism. He's usually all smiles and jokes, but watching that interview revealed a different side of Dwight, makes me wonder if he is indeed going to ask for a trade.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Dwight made the mistake of coming back far too early in the beginning due to the LA pressure. I am glad he learned from his own mistakes, and hopefully stays inactive until he is healthy.

Baller1
02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Dwight to Houston would be awesome, they'd be a top 3 seed in the West easily.

Harden, Dwight, and Parsons is super nice.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I honestly am torn on whether I want Dwight in Houston. I live there, and my friends would annoy the ever living **** out of me, and I would have to deal with people that have never cared about basketball acting like they are die hards.

At least it might force the Rox/Stros to finally cut a deal with every other cable provider not named comcast so the 60% of Houston that can't watch the Rockets have the chance to at least.

LakersSaintsLSU
02-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Tell me something what does nba players have to do? smile from ear to ear? always seem happy? what give's you an indication he's not re-upping with us? none! only your hate...

Slug3
02-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Tell me something what does nba players have to do? smile from ear to ear? always seem happy? what give's you an indication he's not re-upping with us? none! only your hate...

Well he has always been a smiling ear to ear person his whole career. Why would it stop when he is with the Lakers?

Pluvious
Not to mention he's already playing at well under 100%, dealing with repercussions from the offseason surgery. He still is dealing with nerve problems in his lower limbs because of it...and most recently he said there are times where he loses a lot of feeling in his legs (which makes sense considering the nature of that back surgery).

Being a franchise player doesn't mean you have to play though serious injuries. The most important part of being a franchise player is playing a lot of games for your team...and taking 6-7 games off to make sure it isn't 60-70 games is the right move.

And let's not act like Dwight doesn't play through injuries. He did it plenty of times with us in Orlando. I could have counted all the games he had missed in his career at a point last year on one hand. His last games with the Magic he was playing though serious pain...for a team he probably didn't even care about.

Everyone keeps assuming this is a serious injury. Why? All along doctors have indicated it was not really a tear. There has been no indication that doctors think he shouldn't play. Quite the opposite. Dwight instead is not playing because of "pain" from all accounts.

If someone has evidence that doctor's think it is a bad idea to play I would like to see it. Everything so far has been "not serious" and Dwight can play from doctors.

Cracka2HI!
There were things in the original article that suggested that Kobe wasn't actually telling him to man up.

But then there are blatant quotes from Kobe essentially saying "man up". Maybe he is back peddling (as he should IMO)...but still, there's some clear phrases from Kobe there that suggest he thinks Dwight shouldn't be missing time.

Unless they botched the actual quotes, I can't see how he can claim he wasn't suggesting what the article suggested he was. It's not even a matter of context.

I also am not a Howard fan. In fact I'll admit I'm a hater. However I can't see how this is on him. He has clearly never been 100% this season based on his play and that last shot he took to his shoulder would be horrible with a partial tear to the Labrym. I also can't see how Bryant could back peddle on this. Unless they completely mis quoted him he basically said Howard is soft and this and every Laker season is more important than Howards career.

I think Bryant should be getting destoryed in the media for this. How can this not be taken as a complete slap in the face to the supposed franchise Center who was to lead the Lakers to at least 60 wins and the title this year? Bryant really loves tell people how much tougher and better he is than them. Howard is not mature enough to handle Bryant IMO and if the Lakers want to keep Howard, Bryant needs to keep this crap to himself.

Pluvious
02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
I understand why Kobe expects him to play and wants him to play hurt for the team, but Dwight doesn't have a long term contract and isn't LA's golden boy like Kobe. If he hurts himself badly and has to sit out a year there is no guarantee the Lakers are going to sign him and pay him just because he played hurt for them. This is a business, you cant say that Dwight doesn't want to win just because he doesn't play hurt... he is protecting his product, him! If he gets hurt and ends up out for the whole season it doesn't help anyone including the Lakers. If he had a contract for next year and this was the playoffs id have a different opinion, but this team right now isnt even seeded to make the playoffs and you want him to risk a more serious injury for a team that might not even make the post season? The team has to make the playoffs first and if they cant even do that without him then whats the point anyways?

WTF? Even if he somehow did injury it badly it would be something that would heal in the offseason and Dwight gets a long term max contract no matter what. Non issue.

Pluvious
02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't think that translates to "my career means making the most money possible". I think it literally just means that he doesn't want a major injury, and that this free agency period is important to him. He wants to be healthy.

I don't think, again, anything from this story...be it Kobe's silly comments or Dwight's defense, are an indication of where he'll be playing next year.

Right, Howard does not want to deal with surgery in the offseason again. That's it. When posting everyone think only in those terms. That and/or he does not like to deal with the pain in games are the only reasons he would not be playing.

b_russ
02-07-2013, 04:30 PM
I like Dwight Howard a little more after reading this. Sticking it to this Kobe nut hugger reporter.

Source (http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/89fa0ae2-ee2f-4212-9e7e-ec40e68e8888/?source=twitter)

Reporter: Have you talked to Kobe about it, just your situation?

Dwight Howard: "What situation?"

Reporter: In terms of your injury and all that?

DH: "Have I talked to Kobe?"

Reporter: Yes, just as far as outlining, like, telling him your perspective?

DH: "Of what?"

Reporter: Of you wanting to take the long view?

DH: "Why do I have to explain that to Kobe?"

Reporter: Well, because he’s a teammate …

DH: "He’s a doctor?"

Reporter: No, but he’s a teammate.

DH: "OK. So I should explain that to all my teammates then, right?"

Reporter: I’m not insinuating that. I’m just asking, have you talked to him?

DH: "I’m asking you …"

Reporter: I don’t know if you’ve talked to him.

DH: "I’m asking you, I’m supposed to tell all my teammates?"

Reporter: No, I’m just asking if you talked to him.

DH: "Just Kobe. Just Kobe."

Reporter: Considering the comments he made yesterday …

DH: "I don’t know what he said."

Reporter No. 2: He says we don’t have time for Dwight’s shoulder to heal. We need urgency. We need him back on the floor. This is the Lakers. It’s either a championship or a complete failure.

DH: "OK."

Reporter No. 2: What do you say to that?

DH: "That’s his opinion."

CityofTreez
02-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Got to protect yourself, and your career.

I like the decision, and the Lakers should as well.

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I like Dwight Howard a little more after reading this. Sticking it to this Kobe nut hugger reporter.

Reporter: Have you talked to Kobe about it, just your situation?

Dwight Howard: "What situation?"

Reporter: In terms of your injury and all that?

DH: "Have I talked to Kobe?"

Reporter: Yes, just as far as outlining, like, telling him your perspective?

DH: "Of what?"

Reporter: Of you wanting to take the long view?

DH: "Why do I have to explain that to Kobe?"

Reporter: Well, because he’s a teammate …

DH: "He’s a doctor?"

Reporter: No, but he’s a teammate.

DH: "OK. So I should explain that to all my teammates then, right?"

Reporter: I’m not insinuating that. I’m just asking, have you talked to him?

DH: "I’m asking you …"

Reporter: I don’t know if you’ve talked to him.

DH: "I’m asking you, I’m supposed to tell all my teammates?"

Reporter: No, I’m just asking if you talked to him.

DH: "Just Kobe. Just Kobe."

Reporter: Considering the comments he made yesterday …

DH: "I don’t know what he said."

Reporter No. 2: He says we don’t have time for Dwight’s shoulder to heal. We need urgency. We need him back on the floor. This is the Lakers. It’s either a championship or a complete failure.

DH: "OK."

Reporter No. 2: What do you say to that?

DH: "That’s his opinion."
Source (http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/89fa0ae2-ee2f-4212-9e7e-ec40e68e8888/?source=twitter)

good for Dwight! That's right I said it.:cool:

Tymathee
02-07-2013, 04:49 PM
seriously, screw him. He's selfish, franchise players sacrifice, he's being a baby and he's been a baby the last 3 years, he's exposed, his good boy image and team player image has been tarnished, i want Bynum back! At least I knew what we had and had someone who would play hurt!

netsgiantsyanks
02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
seriously, screw him. He's selfish, franchise players sacrifice, he's being a baby and he's been a baby the last 3 years, he's exposed, his good boy image and team player image has been tarnished, i want Bynum back! At least I knew what we had and had someone who would play hurt!

he's being selfish because he's worried about his health?

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 04:57 PM

He is being selfish for worrying about his long term health? Isn't Kobe possibly being selfish for trying to make a player with nerve damage and a partially torn shoulder rush back so they can try and snatch the 7-8 seed and get destroyed?

kduce
WTF? Even if he somehow did injury it badly it would be something that would heal in the offseason and Dwight gets a long term max contract no matter what. Non issue.

What if its worse? What if its an injury that will severely impede his ability to play and be effective? My point is, if Dwight went out there hurt for the team and put himself in a spot where he couldn't play anymore (a long shot I know, but i'm making a point) the Lakers wouldn't come out and say... "Dwight you tried to save our season were going to pay you anyway" and Kobe isn't either, in fact everyone will just ***** and moan and call him a ***** for getting hurt. I don't even like Dwight Howard, but he is making the right decision in my opinion.

Pluvious
he's being selfish because he's worried about his health?

No, that's not the reason. There is a lot you and other non laker fans don't know.

Alayla

Too bad we are keeping Bynum haha

dtmagnet
02-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Not like his return will save them anyways...

netsgiantsyanks
02-07-2013, 04:59 PM
No, that's not the reason. There is a lot you and other non laker fans don't know.

he definitely implied that as the reason. "at least we had someone that would play hurt!"

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 04:59 PM

It doesn't freaking matter. Kobe's intentions are selfish b/c he only has 2 or 3 yrs. tops and wants to win that last ring, you think he gives a flying ___ about Dwight's longterm career?

And about Bynum, maybe b/c he was forcing himself to play hurt and break the image of him being brittle, maybe that was a huge reason why he hasn't played all this season and needed the surgeries.

kduce
02-07-2013, 05:01 PM

LMAO that article is great! I cosign that, I'm not a fan of him, but this makes me dislike him a whole lot less.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Uh, we all know Dwight is a huge baby, last year told us that. Nothing new there. But he had nerve damage, still doesn't feel his legs at times, and keeps re-injuring that partially torn shoulder. That does not heal unless you rest it outright.

kduce
02-07-2013, 05:04 PM

How did did Bynum's inury get so bad? I'm not being a smart ***, I seriously don't follow him that much... but did he make it worse by playing hurt or was he screwed either way? When does he finally come back and play for Philly?

DreamShaker
02-07-2013, 05:04 PM
This has always been interesting to me. Guys like Grant Hill and Kevin McHale "toughed it out" and it shortened their careers. I wonder if they think it was worth it.

shep33
02-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Listen, if Dwight is hurt and is risking his career, absolutely don't play. The problem a lot of Laker fans are having is that nobody knows what's really going on with him. There was an injury report, and I think Dwight even mentioned this like a week or so ago, that the injury can't get worse. That's what a lot of Laker fans and LA reporters are upset about.

Nobody knows what's wrong with him, they know it's a shoulder injury, but the extent of the damage remains unknown to everybody.

I don't even know if Gary Vitti cleared him or not for the Brooklyn game. I just read that Dwight was in "pain" and decided not to play.

If he's risking it, don't play dude.

hidalgo
02-07-2013, 05:12 PM
He is being selfish for worrying about his long term health? Isn't Kobe possibly being selfish for trying to make a player with nerve damage and a partially torn shoulder rush back so they can try and snatch the 7-8 seed and get destroyed?true, Kobe just wants to use Dwight to make his own legacy better, he couldn't really give 2 shhts about Dwight's longterm health.

Jagged QT
02-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Dwight doesn't wanna be there, and Kobe is not helping the situation.

shep33
02-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I dunno, I can't be on one side or the other on this. There is too much unknown.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I dunno, I can't be on one side or the other on this. There is too much unknown.

For sure, and its not like Dwight didn't lay the groundwork for being regarded as a big baby that needs to be catered too, so I really don't know what to think either. If you are hurt, don't play, it won't help you or the team. If its something else, let everyone know instead of keeping up this cloud of mystery.

ink
02-07-2013, 05:24 PM
For sure, and its not like Dwight didn't lay the groundwork for being regarded as a big baby that needs to be catered too, so I really don't know what to think either. If you are hurt, don't play, it won't help you or the team. If its something else, let everyone know instead of keeping up this cloud of mystery.

Yup, until proven otherwise though, I'm leaning toward him being a big baby.

Hey, he made his own reputation.

KniCks4LiFe
02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Nash ripped Howard and said everyone should play through pain. :facepalm:

shep33
02-07-2013, 05:28 PM

Absolutely Hawkeye. Again, I think a lot of Laker fans are upset because nobody really knows the extent of his injury. He hasn't mentioned the severity of it, and pretty much the last that any of us have heard was that the injury would not get worse. So I think just the lack of information is causing frustration with fans and even players towards him.

I wish he'd just say, "my shoulder will literally fall off if I play" or something to just stop all the speculation.

Kobe's not out of the clear either, from observing Dwight's reaction I'd say it was probably a stupid thing to say, but again, I can't say anything because nobody knows the extent of Dwight's injury since he isn't disclosing anything to anyone

ManRam
02-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Yup, until proven otherwise though, I'm leaning toward him being a big baby.

Hey, he made his own reputation.

He's never had a reputation of not playing through injuries though.

He's only become a "baby" because of how he exited Orlando, not because of not wanting to play hard, not wanting to sacrifice, not playing through injuries etc. Dwight never didn't play 100%. Dwight never took a game or two off when he was a bit banged up. Dwight never did this.

The "baby" thing, again, I think has been blown out of proportion here. He doesn't know what he wants, but he's NEVER let that affect his play. Ever. Not even in Orlando during all the crap he put the team through. When he was out there he went hard.

If it is truly just minor pain, then yeah...rip him. But if it's major pain, like he can't move his shoulder 10 degrees without it causing excruciating pain, then no, that's not fair. If it is a small tear, and the risk of it tearing completely is real, then again, that's not fair.

Too many "ifs" here, but I tend to side on the "don't question a guy who has never been a wuss when it comes to injuries about how injured he is".

Look, I hate Dwight. I'm a rare Magic fan that didn't even love him when he was here...but a lot of this **** is getting too ridiculous. I hope he leaves LA and prospers at this point. LA deserves nothing less than that at this point.

THINKBLUE15
02-07-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't even care.

FOBolous
02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
i actually support howard on this. if i would him and i feel like my injuries THAT bad, i would sit out too. i wouldn't want to end up like Grant Hill...trying to "tough it out" due to peer pressure and end up ruining my career.

It's a perfect fit.

not to mention Houston's offense fits Howard PERFECTLY with all the 3 pts shooters.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 05:50 PM
He's never had a reputation of not playing through injuries though.

He's only become a "baby" because of how he exited Orlando, not because of not wanting to play hard, not wanting to sacrifice, not playing through injuries etc. Dwight never didn't play 100%. Dwight never took a game or two off when he was a bit banged up. Dwight never did this.

The "baby" thing, again, I think has been blown out of proportion here. He doesn't know what he wants, but he's NEVER let that affect his play. Ever. Not even in Orlando during all the crap he put the team through. When he was out there he went hard.

If it is truly just minor pain, then yeah...rip him. But if it's major pain, like he can't move his shoulder 10 degrees without it causing excruciating pain, then no, that's not fair. If it is a small tear, and the risk of it tearing completely is real, then again, that's not fair.

Too many "ifs" here, but I tend to side on the "don't question a guy who has never been a wuss when it comes to injuries about how injured he is".

Look, I hate Dwight. I'm a rare Magic fan that didn't even love him when he was here...but a lot of this **** is getting too ridiculous. I hope he leaves LA and prospers at this point. LA deserves nothing less than that at this point.

thats just it, Dwight was Iron Man before his back injury, so even though I despise him and think he is a huge baby, sitting through routine injuries just has never been Dwight's thing.

shep is right, he just needs to come out and say, "dudes, i can't feel my ****ing legs sometimes, my shoulder is absolutely killing me and I can barely wipe my *** with that arm", and get it over with. Otherwise, continue to have your captain question you, and the media all over you.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 05:52 PM
i actually support howard on this. if i would him and i feel like my injuries THAT bad, i would sit out too. i wouldn't want to end up like Grant Hill...trying to "tough it out" due to peer pressure and end up ruining my career.

not to mention Houston's offense fits Howard PERFECTLY with all the 3 pts shooters.

I just don't know if I could deal with my friends if Dwight was traded here. They are bad enough homers as is, and so many of them could care less about the Rox, I know 10 times more about their local team than they do, and if Dwight came here, look out! Everyone is a die hard. Ugh

ink
02-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Whatever he does, LA shouldn't be part of it. Definitely not a foundational piece regardless whether he's a baby or not

Imagine going from a warrior like Kobe, love him or hate him, to a giant question mark like Howard.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Whatever he does, LA shouldn't be part of it. Definitely not a foundational piece regardless whether he's a baby or not

Imagine going from a warrior like Kobe, love him or hate him, to a giant question mark like Howard.

Howard displayed last year that he is not a cornerstone to me. He doesn't have the mental makeup.

Tymathee
02-07-2013, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't be mad at Howard if previous actions and words haven't coincided with the current situation, but he's really showing himself]

and to those who wonder how did Bynum get worse?

1. He injured one leg, then injured the other the same season, aftrer coming back fully healthy.
2. He hurt himself again doing something routine then took his time getting surgery
3. Aggravated himself against after the 2nd ring, took his time getting surgery and missed season time.
4. Before the Lakers traded him, he said he'd go do Kobe's thinga gain, but he tooks months to do it in the off-season, probably irritating it more, instead of getting rehab or whatever.
5. Hurt himself bowling...

funny...Gasol is turning out to be the man here who is unselfish, so hilarious.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't be mad at Howard if previous actions and words haven't coincided with the current situation, but he's really showing himself]

and to those who wonder how did Bynum get worse?

1. He injured one leg, then injured the other the same season, aftrer coming back fully healthy.
2. He hurt himself again doing something routine then took his time getting surgery
3. Aggravated himself against after the 2nd ring, took his time getting surgery and missed season time.
4. Before the Lakers traded him, he said he'd go do Kobe's thinga gain, but he tooks months to do it in the off-season, probably irritating it more, instead of getting rehab or whatever.
5. Hurt himself bowling...

funny...Gasol is turning out to be the man here who is unselfish, so hilarious.

I bet that is such a pleasant locker room right now haha. Kobe giving death stares, Howard looking at the ground, Gasol speaking spanish in the hot tub, Mike D scribbling on the dry board, and Nash trying to get out of there as fast as possible so reporters don't get him with a toughy

Bruno
02-07-2013, 06:07 PM
this didn't need to become public. kobe should have kept this in house; he's attempting to channel his inner Phil.

dwight needs to take a week off. this injury can be played through; obviously he won't sit out the rest of the season because of the labrum (it requires six months recovery after surgery, he'll wait till the off-season for the surgery). in the meantime, they need to give him a week, get treatment, then get him back on the court. dwights just being defensive, he'll be back soon- we all know this. he's not going to sit out the rest of the season because of this injury :laugh2:

Snakeyestx
02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
true, Kobe just wants to use Dwight to make his own legacy better, he couldn't really give 2 shhts about Dwight's longterm health.

What you're saying is what we all know already ... Kobe only thinks about Kobe. He's so hellbent on trying to surpass Michael Jordan that he couldn't care less who's used, hurt or taken out to get a couple more rings. Clock's tickin' and he's losing patience because he knows he can't keep up this pace for a couple more 'iffy' years... he needs a couple more 'sure-thing' seasons.

beliges
02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
this didn't need to become public. kobe should have kept this in house; he's attempting to channel his inner Phil.

dwight needs to take a week off. this injury can be played through; obviously he won't sit out the rest of the season because of the labrum (it requires six months recovery after surgery, he'll wait till the off-season for the surgery). in the meantime, they need to give him a week, get treatment, then get him back on the court. dwights just being defensive, he'll be back soon- we all know this. he's not going to sit out the rest of the season because of this injury :laugh2:

Lakers dont have a week. Look, bottom line is if Dwight wants to be a superstar then he needs to suck it up and play. Its not as if he physically cannot get out there. He is resting as a precautionary matter, but time to suck it up as Kobe said. The season comes down to the next 3 games, i mean literally. If Dwight doesnt play and the Lakers lose the next 3 games, then Dwight can sit the rest of the season because theres no point for him to play. My gripe about Dwight is if he was serious about being a Laker, he would be out there playing trying to make the season a success. The fact he is not doing that tells me he is already checked out and will not be here next year.

In any scenario, he is just completely overrated as a superstar. Any legitimate superstar/franchise player would be playing through a similar injury if the season was depending on them. Can you imagine Kobe missing games due to a torn labrum when he knows his team needs to win or its a done season? Its very pathetic. Dwight needs to either become the franchise player he thinks he is, or revert back to being just another all-star with no aspirations of winning. If youre a Lakers fan, it should be appalling that Dwight is refusing to play at this point when literally the entire success of the season rests, ironically enough, on his shoulders.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 06:48 PM

Still don't buy that.

And since most Lakers fans think this is the best he can offer, I do hope he leaves and hope the Lakers regret that big time. They will regret it if he leaves.

Sactown
02-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Man, Dwight has had a rough time the last 3 years lol... a bet the 60Mill or so is comforting.

TornadoOfSouls
02-07-2013, 06:50 PM
The only ones that want him to play are Kobe fanboys because missing the playoffs ruins Kobe's legacy and that's the last thing they want. But, let's say Howard does play and Lakers do sneak into 8th seed. They're not doing any damage in the post-season anyway. They have a miserable record against .500 opponents and each of their guys are playing big minutes struggling to win games while the top seeds are resting players regularly. There's a reason why an 8th seed has never come close to sniffing a title. It's a wasted year for them anyway between the coaching changes, the Kobe/Dwight drama, and Gasol's plantar issues(which will NOT get better over the course of a season)

Guppyfighter
02-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Still don't buy that.

And since most Lakers fans think this is the best he can offer, I do hope he leaves and hope the Lakers regret that big time. They will regret it if he leaves.

Yeah, people saying you can't build a championship winner around him are insane.

No team has ever won without a top five player (fourth best in the league) or a top five defense with a top five defensive player. Howard is both of those things. He took his bad Magic team to the finals.

Howard to the Rockets next year. You have two superstars and the Rockets are ****ing scary.

Leftcoast_yg
02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
I still can't find the quote where Dwight says he won't take long-term risk just to return to save lakers"

Misquoting much!???

lakers4sho
02-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Dwight has been cleared to play since the pistons game...

RLundi
02-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Good for Dwight.

TornadoOfSouls
02-07-2013, 07:02 PM

The whole "warrior" image is perpetuated by Kobe for the media. There are countless players playing through injuries every season but none are as vocal about it like Kobe. Yes, Kobe, it's so impressive that you're playing through another pinky injury :rolleyes:

Besides, you can't compare injuries with guards to big men anyway. Big men carry a LOT more weight around and take a lot more damage banging in the post. It's easy for Kobe to tell Dwight to play through an injury when he already has a guaranteed contract(30 million a year). Then again, Kobe's always been a bad teammate - the only thing he cares about is his legacy.

ink
02-07-2013, 07:07 PM
The whole "warrior" image is perpetuated by Kobe for the media. There are countless players playing through injuries every season but none are as vocal about it like Kobe. Yes, Kobe, it's so impressive that you're playing through another pinky injury :rolleyes:

Besides, you can't compare injuries with guards to big men anyway. Big men carry a LOT more weight around and take a lot more damage banging in the post. It's easy for Kobe to tell Dwight to play through an injury when he already has a guaranteed contract(30 million a year). Then again, Kobe's always been a bad teammate - the only thing he cares about is his legacy.

I'm not talking about playing through injury. I'm talking about being a competitor, and if you knew me you'd know I'm no fan of Kobe's. But one thing he is not is wishy washy. You don't build around wishy washy, flighty, unpredictable character.

If the Lakers built around Dwight it would be a huge step backward. Trade him, get some value, anything.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 07:12 PM
What Dwight did to the Magic and fans like me was excruciating. It was terrible and it spoke volumes about his character.

But people acting like he's not a competitor, like he doesn't want to win, like he doesn't play hard...or any of that stuff, are getting sooo carried away.

He was a tremendously passionate player for us. He was an iron man who played through every injury he had. He wanted to win probably more than anyone on our team, and that's ultimately when his character started getting questioned. He called out the coach in the playoffs because the team wasn't winning. It was stupid, and he was 100% wrong in his criticism, but it showed how pissed he was they weren't winning.

Does everyone forget what he did in Orlando? It seems like they do.

What's happening in LA right now is a complete and utter circus. It's not his doing either. It's ridiculous. The sensationalism you all buy into is nuts.

Again, I really hope he leaves. Most Lakers fans deserve nothing less. Running a franchise cornerstone out of town this quickly would be AMAZING karma.

I ****ing HATE Dwight...but Jesus, at least I'm rational about it. I hate defending him, but y'all acting like he's a scrub are delusional and totally caught up in the media/Lakers induced hysteria. Sensationalism at its finest.

shep33
02-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Dwight has been cleared to play since the pistons game...

If this is true Dwight needs to explain himself

beliges
02-07-2013, 07:20 PM
I think Kobe just thinks that since Dwight is supposed to be a franchise player, that he should play through discomfort in order to help the team win. Kobe needs to understand that not many players can play through injuries like him, or literally sacrifice body parts like him and most players are not willing to give it absolutely everything they have in order to win like Kobe is. Dwight clearly is not that type of player and Kobe expects him to be. Not many people have the win at all costs mentality Kobe seems to have and it probably boggles his mind that Dwight is not savoring this opportunity to get back on the court and lead his team to victories now that they need him the most. If this was a serious, career jeopordizing shoulder injury, then I can understand, but from all reports and from the Lakers' doctors, it is not that type of injury. Its actually Dwight's decision to make as team doctors have given Dwight the green light to play.

As an NBA fan, its sad to watch players like Kobe retire or reach the end of their careers. They just dont make players like that anymore. And Dwight is a prime example of that. I cannot possibly see how Kobe puts up with Dwight refusing to play. Things will certainly get interested. I can also see Laker fans turning on Dwight because they are so spoiled with Kobe sacrificing everything for the team, and see Dwight refusing to get on the floor.

TornadoOfSouls
02-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm not talking about playing through injury. I'm talking about being a competitor, and if you knew me you'd know I'm no fan of Kobe's. But one thing he is not is wishy washy. You don't build around wishy washy, flighty, unpredictable character.

If the Lakers built around Dwight it would be a huge step backward. Trade him, get some value, anything.

I agree. I don't think Dwight's a good fit in LA either. Star big men don't mesh will with an egomaniac ballhog like Kobe. I think Dwight in Houston's an interesting possibility. Harden has shown glimpses of that Ginobili-like pass-first mentality so I could see them meshing well.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 07:26 PM
If this is true Dwight needs to explain himself

Even if it's true, and I swear I heard contradicting reports a few days ago, he's already explained himself. I think it becomes much less acceptable, but still, we don't know what he's going through. Structurally he could be 100% fine, that doesn't mean that he's 100% though. Pain tolerance isn't the same for everyone.

He has no history of this. There's no reason to think he's sabotaging the Lakers. There's no reason to suggest he's giving up. Hell, he wanted out of Orlando SOOO badly last year, but never gave up. If he stopped playing because his back was causing him the pain it clearly was, maybe he wouldn't have needed surgery after all. Maybe that's in the back of his head. No one knows their own body better than that person. Maybe Dwight doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt (I still don't entirely get why), but I'm perfectly fine giving it to him...

And again, I hate him.

It could be selfishness...but both parties are being selfish here.

Also, when the hell did "playing through pain" become a key qualification for being a "franchise player"? :laugh2:

I've literally never heard that **** before.

shep33
02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
If in fact Dwight was cleared to play vs Detroit thn I can understand the problem with Kobe and Nash. Pau just went down for about 4 weeks, and he was playing hurt, Nash played hurt with his broken leg, we know Kobe has played hurt. From what I'm reading Dwight does not require surgery nor will the problem get significantly worse if he plays.

TornadoOfSouls
02-07-2013, 07:29 PM
I think Kobe just thinks that since Dwight is supposed to be a franchise player, that he should play through discomfort in order to help the team win. Kobe needs to understand that not many players can play through injuries like him, or literally sacrifice body parts like him and most players are not willing to give it absolutely everything they have in order to win like Kobe is. Dwight clearly is not that type of player and Kobe expects him to be. Not many people have the win at all costs mentality Kobe seems to have and it probably boggles his mind that Dwight is not savoring this opportunity to get back on the court and lead his team to victories now that they need him the most. If this was a serious, career jeopordizing shoulder injury, then I can understand, but from all reports and from the Lakers' doctors, it is not that type of injury. Its actually Dwight's decision to make as team doctors have given Dwight the green light to play.

As an NBA fan, its sad to watch players like Kobe retire or reach the end of their careers. They just dont make players like that anymore. And Dwight is a prime example of that. I cannot possibly see how Kobe puts up with Dwight refusing to play. Things will certainly get interested. I can also see Laker fans turning on Dwight because they are so spoiled with Kobe sacrificing everything for the team, and see Dwight refusing to get on the floor.

Kobe makes sacrifices for his own legacy. Not for the team. If he cared at all about the team, he wouldn't have chucked away the Lakers chances at a playoff spot this year with the selfish ball he played during the first three months.

DaLakerz Rulz
02-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

After missing two games with sore shoulder, Lakers center Dwight Howard plans to play against Boston tonight, league sources tell Y! Sports.

DoMeFavors
02-07-2013, 07:31 PM
in his heart he only wants the nets, he doesnt want Houston, he doesnt want LA, he doesnt want ORlando he wants Brooklyn. Im sorry your minds wont allow you to take that in. but its been reported for some time now.

OceanSpray
02-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

After missing two games with sore shoulder, Lakers center Dwight Howard plans to play against Boston tonight, league sources tell Y! Sports.

I got money Kobe's crybaby of a player told him to play... Yup, let's put Dwight Howard back in danger and further injure his shoulder. Next he'll be out for a month. Kobe needs to do some hard thinking. LAL did a terrible move by signing Nash because Kobe can't play without the ball.

shep33
02-07-2013, 07:34 PM
I think the problem here manram is whether or not he's talked to his team about it. I mean we just lost Pau and we're closing in on a playoff spot. So if he hasn't talked to his team about why exactly hes sitting out then it could lead to questioning by those very teammates

ManRam
02-07-2013, 07:35 PM
It's amazing how, looking at the twittersphere, how many Magic fans are defending Dwight here. Most of us are sitting back and laughing at how poorly he and his team have played...but when people start being ridiculous I guess we take note.

@MagicBasketball
I'm not comfortable with this, but I have to unequivocally defend Dwight here. He has played though pain and injury his entire career.

@MagicBasketball
Dwight may be completely insecure and whiny off the court (and terribly unfunny), but he still wants to win. Would never sit just because.

‏@MagicBasketball
He has already come back early from injury once this season and what has that gotten him? Certainly not any more respect from his teammates

---------------

@BQRMagic
Dwight played his last game w/ Magic w/ what turned out to be a herniated disk. 20 pts, 22 rebs, 6 asts, 2 blks in 44 minutes.

@BQRMagic
But sure, he's a wimp. Whatever.

---------------

And I feel the same way. The criticism here is stupid.

And he's playing tonight, so you can all shut up now.

Cracka2HI!
02-07-2013, 07:37 PM
To me the main story here is Bryant. He can be so pompus, delusional and a horrible teammate sometimes. Does Bryant not Howard back? Does he know who Howard is and how immature and sensitive he is? Does he really think a player on a 1 year contract should look at the Lakers winning a championship as more important than his own health or financial future? How hypocritical is that for someone making $30 mil per at 34? Does he not know he doesn't have another chance to win another championship? I'll say it Kobe Bryant will not win another championship. There just isn't enough on the Lakers to build another championship contender...especially if chases their one good player under 30 out of town with his arrogance.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 07:38 PM
I think the problem here manram is whether or not he's talked to his team about it. I mean we just lost Pau and we're closing in on a playoff spot. So if he hasn't talked to his team about why exactly hes sitting out then it could lead to questioning by those very teammates

I still think that's iffy. Since when do players have to go around and give updates to everyone every day about how they're feeling? I mean, you talk to the coach and you talk to the trainers...that's the impression I get.

In theory, sure. It should be an open locker room where everyone is telling everyone everything. But we all know that clubhouse is never gonna be like that with a few of these guys there.

But to bash him about not talking to Kobe about how he's feeling is, well, stupid. Kobe ISN'T the doctor. His job is to play and do what HE can to win. Dwight's job is to get better and do what's best for him and what's best for the team. That's it. Maybe he's not doing the last of that, but I'm not gonna sit here and say that a guy who has NEVER been a wuss about injuries suddenly is.

OceanSpray
02-07-2013, 07:40 PM
To me the main story here is Bryant. He can be so pompus, delusional and a horrible teammate sometimes. Does Bryant not Howard back? Does he know who Howard is and how immature and sensitive he is? Does he really think a player on a 1 year contract should look at the Lakers winning a championship as more important than his own health or financial future? How hypocritical is that for someone making $30 mil per at 34? Does he not know he doesn't have another chance to win another championship? I'll say it Kobe Bryant will not win another championship. There just isn't enough on the Lakers to build another championship contender...especially if chases their one good player under 30 out of town with his arrogance.

No, the Lakers will lose because no one has the balls to tell Kobe to stop acting like he's God. KD/LeBron/CP never had these issues because they play the game without being a total douchebag. This is Kobe, the guy who refused to hang out with his teammates because none of them had a ring..

Dade County
02-07-2013, 07:55 PM
in his heart he only wants the nets, he doesnt want Houston, he doesnt want LA, he doesnt want ORlando he wants Brooklyn. Im sorry your minds wont allow you to take that in. but its been reported for some time now.

When Howard contract is up, I see a couple of teams in the race... Nets, HEAT, OKC,...etc

Nets:
Howard might get paid under the table/that Russian money lol It's a good chance that Howard ends up with the Nets, because I can see it in his eyes, his stubborn, the Magic lied to him ( yes Howard should not have signed the contract )...etc

Howard might have this planned out, and the criticism that he took last year still echo's in his head... He will never forget that... and I feel that Howard does give a **** about anything anymore, and he is just putting on a show.

I feel that Howard is all about winning rings, so whatever organization gives him the best chance and can pay him, thats where he would end up.

OKC might come up short again... I can see them making a move for Howard... I know Pat Riley is going to be gunning for him, that goes with out saying.

OceanSpray
02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Howard needs to change his attitude. His demeanor is much like Cousins.. Toughen up and stop smiling.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
When Howard contract is up, I see a couple of teams in the race... Nets, HEAT, OKC,...etc

Nets:
Howard might get paid under the table/that Russian money lol It's a good chance that Howard ends up with the Nets, because I can see it in his eyes, his stubborn, the Magic lied to him ( yes Howard should not have signed the contract )...etc

Howard might have this planned out, and the criticism that he took last year still echo's in his head... He will never forget that... and I feel that Howard does give a **** about anything anymore, and he is just putting on a show.

I feel that Howard is all about winning rings, so whatever organization gives him the best chance and can pay him, thats where he would end up.

OKC might come up short again... I can see them making a move for Howard... I know Pat Riley is going to be gunning for him, that goes with out saying.

Please explain to me how he gets to any of those teams...because he won't be able to just outright sign with any of them.

The Lakers could S&T him to any of those teams, but assuming that they would might be a bit reckless.

OceanSpray
02-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Please explain to me how he gets to any of those teams...because he won't be able to just outright sign with any of them.

The Lakers could S&T him to any of those teams, but assuming that they would might be a bit reckless.

We all know Howard isn't staying in LAL after this year. He clearly hates playing with Kobe because of Kobe's personality. I'd say trade Howard and Nash to Atlanta for Horford, Teague, and Devin Harris.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 08:05 PM
We all know Howard isn't staying in LAL after this year. He clearly hates playing with Kobe because of Kobe's personality. I'd say trade Howard and Nash to Atlanta for Horford, Teague, and Devin Harris.

I think he's gonna stay :shrug:

We'll see.

I think all this drama is wildly overblown.

OceanSpray
02-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Man, I just hate seeing Howard waste his time playing for the LAL. If he was in Miami instead of Bosh, bad things would happen!!!!!!

D-Leethal
02-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Its tough to gauge what will happen Dwight. He seems genuinely unhappy in his current situation and Kobe is not going anywhere. I don't think he wants any part of that next year. Hes going to have a few more years of being Kobe's ***** sidekick and verbal punching bag, and playing with a coach he already complained about with the infinite pick and rolls. The only thing I can foresee keeping him from bouncing LA is the fact that he cares deeply about his public perception, regardless of how bad hes ****ed it up, and no matter HOW he leaves its gonna look bad. Either tell them early and force them to take pennies to the dollar or leave them high and dry and bounce for nothing after they trade a 2x champion and all star C (albeit a complete and utter moron with glass knees).

A combo of Asik, Delfino, Patterson, possibly Parsons picks isn't a bad consolation prize. Especially if LA keeps Kobe-Nash-Pau. They could actually be better with a combo of those guys than with their current cast. It would just turn back into a 2 year window and not a future superstar to build around.

jiggin
02-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Dwight Howard is a Douche...

...not exactly breaking news, but needs to be said, again.

ManRam
02-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Man, I just hate seeing Howard waste his time playing for the LAL. If he was in Miami instead of Bosh, bad things would happen!!!!!!

I'd imagine that if he were playing with LeBron, Wade and Spo instead of Kobe, Nash, Pau and MDA things would be going much better. Certainly no drama...LeBron doesn't play that. Still, he's clearly not even close to like 80% out there.

Hawkeye15
02-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Too bad your Nets spent themselves out of the picture, unless the Lakers see Brook Lopez as the cornerstone of the next chapter in their storied franchise (not happening).

Gators123
02-07-2013, 08:54 PM
‏@vgoodwill

Did Shaq "I got hurt on company time, I'll heal on company time" say Dwight should play with pain? #Confused
lol

HouRealCoach
02-07-2013, 08:58 PM
I feel bad for Dwight... I heard he signed for an extra year of BS because he didn't want to be traded to the Lakers lol