PDA

View Full Version : Report: Spurs frontrunner to acquire Al Jefferson

Fresno
02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Chris Sheridan.

TFWIW

But figuring out who is available is not rocket science if you speak to the right people, and I speak to a lot of plugged-in people on a regular basis.

Here is the latest they are telling me: The San Antonio Spurs are the front-runners to land Al Jefferson in a trade with the Utah Jazz – and they are frontrunners like Secretariat was in the 1973 Belmont Stakes.

Here’s why, followed by a how.

“Those teams are practically incestuous, they are on such good terms internally,” one NBA source told me Wednesday.

Indeed, Spurs assistant general manager Scott Layden left Utah prior to this season after spending several seasons as an assistant coach for the Jazz and joined R.C. Buford’s staff in San Antonio’s secrecy vault front office. Also, former Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey is now doing the legwork for Utah’s grand pooh-bah, Kevin O’Connor.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/02/06/sheridan-al-jefferson-to-spurs/

Mentions Tiago Splitter,Stephen Jackson's salary, Erzam Lorbek, and possibly Patty Mills(or another of San Antonio's young PG's) going back to Utah

Jroz
02-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Damn, good move if it works out

ManRam
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Splitter, Jackson and Picks (?) for Al?

I guess it's better than nothing...

*Silver&Black*
02-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Spurs could be favorites if this goes down.

JasonJohnHorn
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Utah should call up Boston and see if they can pry Rondo away from them for a big, and maybe get Sullenger as well.

As for the Spurs, they already have the best record in the league. I'm not sure that this is a team that needs 'fixing'.

Tmath
02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
I really want the Raptors to go after Milsap.

futureman
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Chris Sheridan.

TFWIW

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/02/06/sheridan-al-jefferson-to-spurs/

Mentions Tiago Splitter,Stephen Jackson's salary, Erzam Lorbek, and possibly Patty Mills(or another of San Antonio's young PG's) going back to Utah

There will have to be more moving pieces going to the spurs for this to work. Possibly Raja Bell and Kevin Murphy.

ManRam
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Utah should call up Boston and see if they can pry Rondo away from them for a big, and maybe get Sullenger as well.

As for the Spurs, they already have the best record in the league. I'm not sure that this is a team that needs 'fixing'.

Meh.

They have so much money freed up this offseason. Bringing in Rondo would jeopardize that. Not sure it's worth it, even with how great a player Rondo can be.

As for your second point. They've been the best team in the West during the regular season for the past 3 seasons now. The last two they didn't get to the Finals. I get the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" thing, but I think it's stupid to turn down a chance to get better. A Duncan/Jefferson front court is way better than a Duncan/Splitter front court, period. I don't think the two have conflicting games, so they'd fit in together fine.

They aren't trying to "fix" anything, they're just trying to get better. I think this, if they don't give up Duncan, Manu, Parker or Leonard, makes them better.

The best team in the NBA still can always improve. No team is perfect.

kdspurman
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Don't know why, but I just don't see it happening....

Joshtd1
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Surprised to hear this. I've always loved Big Al, but I would have figured the Spurs would be looking more for a defensive athletic PF type then another slower center.

Al can score with the best of them, and would work because Timmy spends a lot of time in the high post now. Still not sure how I would feel about this. Splitter is finally coming around since he has been getting consistent minutes, and is a solid defender. Jack is that tough playoff vet who I know would bring it every night. Could only think maybe they would want to trade him just to get more minutes to Kawhi

kdspurman
02-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I like Al, his personality would mesh well with the team I think. But I just don't know... This doesn't exactly wow me.

It also sort of surprises me cause when the Spurs make a move, you don't really hear about it till it happens. Things like this don't usually leak out for them early. So I don't even know how reliable it is

Joshtd1
02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
I actually think I would rather have Favors to be honest..

Fresno
02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Splitter, Jackson and Picks (?) for Al?

I guess it's better than nothing...

Well, if they dont expect to re-sign him. And they probably shouldn't for the sake of letting Kanter & Favors develop together.

Utah is prime for a rebuild since that team isn't moving forward with their veterans and they still lack a superstar talent.

ClearSoulForce
02-06-2013, 05:01 PM
If Utah asks for Leonard, SA better hang up and run away.

Parker/Neal
Green/Ginobili
Leonard/??
Duncan/Diaw
Jefferson/Blair

That's a really scary team.

Fresno
02-06-2013, 05:03 PM
There will have to be more moving pieces going to the spurs for this to work. Possibly Raja Bell and Kevin Murphy.

Also maybe find a 3rd team is possible for Stephen Jackson since he definetly would not want to play for a Utah team that isn't competing for the Playoffs. Or Utah buys him out.

He went to San Antonio and pretty much sacrificed much of the scoring he had been doing the last 10 years.

king4day
02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
If Utah asks for Leonard, SA better hang up and run away.

Parker/Neal
Green/Ginobili
Leonard/??
Duncan/Diaw
Jefferson/Blair

That's a really scary team.

While I agree, if I'm Utah, that's where my conversation would start and end. The Spurs aren't going to get much younger. Go for broke while they have a real chance at a ring.

NoahH
02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Duncan & AJ could be ferocious in the playoffs

AlexTmz2
02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
I agree on taking Cousins over Al. Young vs Old.

I'm a big Jefferson fan but I also don't think the FO should make a move this big at this point. Spurs are rolling and I don't see the need to make any changes.

I would hate to see Jackson be part of the deal if it does go down.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-06-2013, 05:18 PM
:drool:

I've been saying the Spurs should get him. I love him beside Duncan.

YoungOne
02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
rockets should go for him or millsap

OceanSpray
02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
I hate this trade. San Antonio are already playing well and are arguably the best team in the NBA right now. I don't know why they decided to trade now.

ManRam
02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I actually think I would rather have Favors to be honest..

Well, sure. But I don't think Utah has any intentions of letting Favors go. Trading Al is the right move. They can "reload", not rebuild, this offseason with Mo, Raja and Jefferson coming off the books. Marvin maybe declines his option too (doubt it). They'll have money to play with, and Kanter, Favors, Hayward and Millsap are a nice core to build around.

While I agree, if I'm Utah, that's where my conversation would start and end. The Spurs aren't going to get much younger. Go for broke while they have a real chance at a ring.

Agreed. Go all in.

I agree on taking Cousins over Al. Young vs Old.

I'm a big Jefferson fan but I also don't think the FO should make a move this big at this point. Spurs are rolling and I don't see the need to make any changes.

I would hate to see Jackson be part of the deal if it does go down.

Cousins I'm sure would require A LOT more than Jefferson. No way Splitter + Jackson + a pick gets that done. They'll need some much better young talent or a much high pick for Cousins. He's cheap and young.

kdspurman
02-06-2013, 05:35 PM
I hate this trade. San Antonio are already playing well and are arguably the best team in the NBA right now. I don't know why they decided to trade now.

They didn't...

I wonder if this came about when Duncan went down (?) Who knows... That was only like a day before it was released he would be fine. But I am not sure they will make this move.

Bravo95
02-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Seems like Millsap would be a better fit... but who the hell am I to question Pop and Buford? :laugh2:

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
:laugh: This trade sucks. I like how it mentions that Al ****ing Jefferson is a solid defender and would improve the shot blocking and overall defense. While I like Al Jefferson he is a horrible defender and would make the defense much worse. It's not a coincidence that the Spurs have become the 4th best defensive team in terms of % since Splitter was paired with Duncan in the starting line up.

I highly doubt this trade happens.

OceanSpray
02-06-2013, 05:46 PM
They didn't...

I wonder if this came about when Duncan went down (?) Who knows... That was only like a day before it was released he would be fine. But I am not sure they will make this move.

I said I hate the trade, never said they actually committed a trade.

kdspurman
02-06-2013, 05:50 PM

I said I hate the trade, never said they actually committed a trade.

I was just replying to that, maybe I read it in the wrong context, my bad.

Guppyfighter
02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Spurs are smart. They don't believe in "if not broke, don't fix it" motto, because there is always something to improve. It's why they made the trade for Captain Jack last year. IF they think they can get better, they will.

kdspurman
02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
:laugh: This trade sucks. I like how it mentions that Al ****ing Jefferson is a solid defender and would improve the shot blocking and overall defense. While I like Al Jefferson he is a horrible defender and would make the defense much worse. It's not a coincidence that the Spurs have become the 4th best defensive team in terms of % since Splitter was paired with Duncan in the starting line up.

I highly doubt this trade happens.

Various other measures indicate Splitter is a better defensive player. The opportunity to play alongside Tim Duncan is a huge reason why. But not only does Jefferson yield more points per possession according to Synergy, the Jazz allow almost 10 points more per 100 possessions when he’s on the court.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/02/06/trade-rumor-du-jour-jefferson-to-spurs/

Splitter's value is probably pretty high now, & I like what I've seen from him this year. I haven't known Jefferson to be that defensive guy either.

Just more reason to think this might not be the most reliable of sources. Could be wrong, but yes the Jazz/Spurs are close internally, but they also don't let stuff like this leak...

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Spurs are smart. They don't believe in "if not broke, don't fix it" motto, because there is always something to improve. It's why they made the trade for Captain Jack last year. IF they think they can get better, they will.

This isn't typical Spurs. They NEVER leak anything like this. It's all a smoke screen and typical CIA Pop. They are probably working on a trade, but I doubt it's for Al Jefferson.

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-06-2013, 05:57 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/02/06/trade-rumor-du-jour-jefferson-to-spurs/

Splitter's value is probably pretty high now, & I like what I've seen from him this year. I haven't known Jefferson to be that defensive guy either.

Just more reason to think this might not be the most reliable of sources. Could be wrong, but yes the Jazz/Spurs are close internally, but they also don't let stuff like this leak...

Exactly. If a trade is made I think it will be for more of a back up PF or PG

Guppyfighter
02-06-2013, 05:58 PM
This isn't typical Spurs. They NEVER leak anything like this. It's all a smoke screen and typical CIA Pop. They are probably working on a trade, but I doubt it's for Al Jefferson.

I agree. I was just responding to the "ain't broke don't fix it" guy.

OceanSpray
02-06-2013, 06:00 PM
I agree. I was just responding to the "ain't broke don't fix it" guy.

It's not that. It's the fact that Al Jefferson wouldn't be a huge part of how they play. If it's working now, there is no need to ruin that chemistry. They are on a 10 game winning streak.

Jarvo
02-06-2013, 06:09 PM
GET IT DONE SPURS! GET IT DONE!!!! :jumpy::faint: AL will be a good fit for The Spurs :dance:

HouRealCoach
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
If this goes down then Spurs are going to the Finals

mngopher35
02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
This couldd be a nice addition for the spurs, kind of hit or miss though. I'm not sure I would mess things up with the way they are playing. Al would probably help offensively but he'd hurt them on D. It's not like their O is struggling right now...

Ebbs
02-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Wow lol

Lab Rat Robby
02-06-2013, 09:10 PM
that trade would suck. splitter is awesome. the spurs are better off payin him this summer to keep him for the post timmy era. if he does get traded i would understand, only because he's due a big contract.

al jefferson though! splitter is worth way more than him. if we dump splitter to save money it'll be a deal like the harden trade. probably for somebody like nicholson, zeller, or henson. + picks and/or dumpin undersized blair and neal.

s jax is awesome and it'd be a shame to dump him. he's our tough guy. and he reminds guys like manu, diaw, and bonner what a good shot looks like.

mills just got and aussie buddy to play with, why would the spurs split them up already?

trading lorbeks rights would suck too. he looks good, they wanted him this past offseason.

somebody said it earlier. this is cia pop. spurs are working with the jazz. the trade is more like, "hey you show the league splitter is available. we'll show the league, we think jefferson is worth splitter."

time4change
02-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Come one i know my Bucks can come up with a better deal than that. Come on John Hammond!

The_Jamal
02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Like it for both teams. Splitter-Favors-Kanter is a sweet bigs trio and allows them to shop Milsap as well

kdspurman
02-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Hoopsworld has a different take:

The Jazz only have $26 million on the books for next season, which would give them roughly about $30 million to spend on free agents this offseason. It would be a great opportunity for Lindsey to really put his stamp on the team after taking over late in the offseason. He’s unlikely to give that up, but a package from the Spurs including Stephen Jackson, DeJuan Blair and Cory Joseph would not impact their cap space for this summer and give them two guys in Jackson and Blair who can be major contributors this season as they still look to make the playoffs. Joseph would also be a nice prospect for the future at point, a position where the Jazz currently lack a long-term solution.

Again, I just don't know if there's any merits behind these rumors. We hear rumors regarding the Spurs every so often, and they never seem to pan out. Which is why I questioned this to begin with. Spurs are the ones who tend to make a deal out of nowhere... Without someone leaking it beforehand.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-trade-brewing-between-jazz-and-spurs/

UnWantedTheory
02-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I am not sure many have thought this through. Pairing Big Al next to TD would be terrible. The Spurs would have the slowest front court in the league & couldn't defend a PnR to save their lives.

I already don't believe a Sheridan rumor to begin with, but there is nothing here that makes me think this is true. It seems more like a reach because Al is an expiring & Utah has needed to trade someone for a season and half now.

I highly doubt the Spurs would give up Splitter, who by the way fits the team much better, for a known terrible defender in Al. If they can somehow pry Jefferson away from Utah without giving up any of the Big 3(obviously), Leonard, or Splitter then I say hell yeah. Al will need touches to make an impact on a team like this so he would have to play with the second unit where he will probably be more efficient anyway.

Just because you take any random borderline all-star caliber player and add him to a team doesn't necessarily make that team better. In this case, trading Tiago for Al would be a terrible mistake imo.

SACNYY
02-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Would be a great pickup for the Spurs who have quietly again the best record in the NBA.

Mataro41
02-07-2013, 12:24 AM
finally they need another big man because when blair plays the 5 its just not rite even tho blair works his butt off most of the time

knicks=love
02-07-2013, 12:39 AM
:drool:

kdspurman
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
finally they need another big man because when blair plays the 5 its just not rite even tho blair works his butt off most of the time

He's been out of the rotation most of the year anyway...

time4change
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Still think Milwaukee could give them much better of a return.

Corey
02-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I actually think I would rather have Favors to be honest..So would Utah. Youth, salary, potential.

CaptainClutch
02-07-2013, 11:08 AM
This is definitely a move for another 2-3 years at most and then a complete blow up. Good for the Spurs to realize they need one more piece to really be dangerous

kdspurman
02-07-2013, 11:10 AM
This is definitely a move for another 2-3 years at most and then a complete blow up. Good for the Spurs to realize they need one more piece to really be dangerous

Wouldn't exactly say a complete blow up... They've already started rebuilding and adding the right young pieces for the "post Duncan" era.

DreamShaker
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Surprised to hear this. I've always loved Big Al, but I would have figured the Spurs would be looking more for a defensive athletic PF type then another slower center.

Al can score with the best of them, and would work because Timmy spends a lot of time in the high post now. Still not sure how I would feel about this. Splitter is finally coming around since he has been getting consistent minutes, and is a solid defender. Jack is that tough playoff vet who I know would bring it every night. Could only think maybe they would want to trade him just to get more minutes to Kawhi

Oops. I was replying to your post about rather wanting Favors.

Any ways, I can see your skeptisism. But I think Big Al is forward progress.

MrfadeawayJB
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
If the spurs pulled this out their front line :speechless:

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
The only way I consider this trade is if Tiago isn't involved.

Splitter is too important to the Spurs defense to trade for a guy who doesn't play defense

iam brett favre
02-07-2013, 03:24 PM
I just want a PG for him..

Guppyfighter
02-07-2013, 03:38 PM
The only way I consider this trade is if Tiago isn't involved.

Splitter is too important to the Spurs defense to trade for a guy who doesn't play defense

Pop could get Al to play defense I bet.

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-07-2013, 04:08 PM

Possibly..... In time though. Mid season, with limited practices? Probably not. Like I said I wouldn't trade Splitter

TornadoOfSouls
02-07-2013, 08:00 PM

I've watched a LOT of Al Jefferson over the years. He's improved his passing and overall game in Utah but I don't he'll ever be a good defender even with a defensive mastermind like Pop. The thing is everybody thinks these players go to SA and are "molded" into good rotation pieces. It's more like their scouting picks guys that have the potential to fit their system. Like every franchise in the NBA, they have made mistakes. Drew Gooden never stopped being a blackhole turnstile in SA. He came in as a crappy player and he left a crappy player. Lost cause. The Richard Jefferson experiment was a waste of everybody's time. RJ didn't have the defensive ability or bball IQ to make it in SA. Constantly made mistakes and missed rotations. Outside of his ability to shoot the threeball, he was a collosal failure. Mahinmi was a project big picked especially by Sam Presti to be the next big thing. SA wasted three years trying to turn him into a productive big man. He's had some success in Dallas/Indy but his time in San Antonio was uneventful. Beno Udrih's another Euro prospect that failed to make an impact. Was so lazy the team used to threaten to send him to D-League, at times.

San Antonio seems to hit it out of the ballpark, more often than not, but it's not like they have a magic wand that makes guys like Danny Green/Tiago Splitter/Leonard/George Hill/etc into useful players. They pick guys that have the ability/mind-set to play in their system. I don't think Jefferson has that mindset. He's a good player though - just wouldn't fit into SA's system.

UnWantedTheory
02-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Pretty good read on how Jefferson would/wouldn't fit.

http://www.caller.com/news/2013/feb/07/how-would-al-jefferson-fit-spurs/

kenzo400
02-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Jefferson isn't that bad of a defender. If you put him in an excellent system like San Antonio's i'm sure he would be pretty solid on that end of the floor. Either way, the positives of his game far outweigh the negatives. If they can an add a 20 ppg like Jefferson to their team, they have just taken their game to a whole new level. This would be an excellent move.

UnWantedTheory
02-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Jefferson isn't that bad of a defender. If you put him in an excellent system like San Antonio's i'm sure he would be pretty solid on that end of the floor. Either way, the positives of his game far outweigh the negatives. If they can an add a 20 ppg like Jefferson to their team, they have just taken their game to a whole new level. This would be an excellent move.

Not really. He would require too many touches and we already have several players that require theirs. Per 36 Tiago averages 16ppg on 10 fga at 60% within the flow of our offense this year. Jefferson scores 19 on 17 shots for 48% and would stall our offense. I will stick with Tiago who is a very good defender and fits within our system. Not to mention he should be cheaper.

And yes, Big Al is a bad defender. Period. The opposition will literally PnR his way all night. He is just too slow. Excellent system or no it will matter not.

I would love Big Al but not at the expense of Splitter. If he came over, which I dont believe has a legit chance of happening, he would need to play with the 2nd unit imo.

grizznation88
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
This is scary. The Spurs are one piece away from winning it all. The Heat should pray they dont aquire Big Al.

kdspurman
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Not really. He would require too many touches and we already have several players that require theirs. Per 36 Tiago averages 16ppg on 10 fga at 60% within the flow of our offense this year. Jefferson scores 19 on 17 shots for 48% and would stall our offense. I will stick with Tiago who is a very good defender and fits within our system. Not to mention he should be cheaper.

And yes, Big Al is a bad defender. Period. The opposition will literally PnR his way all night. He is just too slow. Excellent system or no it will matter not.

I would love Big Al but not at the expense of Splitter. If he came over, which I dont believe has a legit chance of happening, he would need to play with the 2nd unit imo.

I don't think he'd have an issue with that personally, he seems like the kind of dude who would do what it takes. But I agree, he would fit much better with that 2nd unit, you get him the ball in the post surrounded by shooters like Neal/Manu/Bonner/Diaw (not knowing who would be dealt) then that could be a nice inside out game.

But I agree, not at the cost of Splitter.

xRipCity
02-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Spurs are instant contenders if they get Al.
The Spurs are one of my least favorite teams, but
Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are some of the best penetrators and instant offense creators in the league.
Leonard plays like a veteran; he has a high basketball IQ and can contribute in multiple categories.
Duncan and Jefferson would be a huge matchup problem for any team in the league, and would be the best PF/C combo in the league.
The bench is deep in Danny Green, Gary Neal, DeJuan Blair, Diaw (Stephen Jackson unless he's traded as well)

UnWantedTheory
02-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Spurs are instant contenders if they get Al.
The Spurs are one of my least favorite teams, but
Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are some of the best penetrators and instant offense creators in the league.
Leonard plays like a veteran; he has a high basketball IQ and can contribute in multiple categories.
Duncan and Jefferson would be a huge matchup problem for any team in the league, and would be the best PF/C combo in the league.
The bench is deep in Danny Green, Gary Neal, DeJuan Blair, Diaw (Stephen Jackson unless he's traded as well)
First off the Spurs are already contenders.
Secondly, I highly doubt Duncan & Jefferson would be on the floor much at the same time. Their games would not mesh well within the flow of our team offense imo. Either way, if Al comes to SA I doubt he spends more than 6 or 7 minutes on the floor with TD.

kdspurman
02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
This is why I didn't really put much into this... You know if you hear rumors about the Spurs making a trade, they're likely premature and not true.

Bucher: Latest word on Utah Jazz and who they'll keep vs. deal between Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap: Jefferson is the like-liest to stay right now, according to several opposing team executives. Consensus is the Jazz can't afford to keep both with Gordon Hayward soon to be eligible for an extension and the belief that Hayward is in the team's long-term plans.

GrkGawdofWalkz
02-11-2013, 11:24 AM
This is why I didn't really put much into this... You know if you hear rumors about the Spurs making a trade, they're likely premature and not true.

Correct, the other thing is that Al doesn't fit the Spurs tempo of offense and as a high needs offensive end player doesn't make a lot of sense. Right positional need, not verstile enough. Milsap on the other hand is...more interesting.

kdspurman
02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Correct, the other thing is that Al doesn't fit the Spurs tempo of offense and as a high needs offensive end player doesn't make a lot of sense. Right positional need, not verstile enough. Milsap on the other hand is...more interesting.

Yea.. And I like Al's game and personality a lot. But bringing him mid-season, no training camp, just did not seam realistic. Milsap is interesting for sure. Someone who can guard multiple positions, physical, rebounds, and can knock down the mid range shot

b_russ
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM

Even though I agree that this is a bunch of bunk, just realize who you are quoting for your source. Rick. Bucher...

kdspurman
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Even though I agree that this is a bunch of bunk, just realize who you are quoting for your source. Rick. Bucher...

That too me is more credible and sounds more legit than this initial rumor that came out though... It's hard to trust any sources except Woj lol

Badluck33
02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
I've seen this story before....

Gasol and Howard were suppose to be the best front court in the nba...

WHOOOOOPS!

Blitzbolt
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
The Spurs have to make a move like this if they want to win it all Splitter and Diaw wont help you in the playoffs.And like it or not Duncan is to old to be all by him self down low especially vs OKC,Heat ect..

I think this gonna be the 4th straight year the Spurs are gonna be first in west I think is about time to take risk.

kdspurman
02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
The Spurs have to make a move like this if they want to win it all Splitter and Diaw wont help you in the playoffs.And like it or not Duncan is to old to be all by him self down low especially vs OKC,Heat ect..

I think this gonna be the 4th straight year the Spurs are gonna be first in west I think is time to take risk.

Duncan and Splitter are plenty for a team like Miami. Especially the way they're both playing this year. OKC is different cause their bigs are more physical/athletic. But at the end of the day, they need a more physical 4 who can defend some 3's and 5's imo. Someone with a little more flexibility.

Sometimes making a big change mid season is hit or miss.

futureman
02-11-2013, 01:17 PM
It's going to take a lot more for the spurs to get Al Jefferson than Stephen Jackson and Corey Joseph like hoopsworld is talking about.

Blitzbolt
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Sometimes making a big change mid season is hit or miss.Like I said is about time to take a risk Physical/Athletic teams always beat the Spurs for reason.

Stinkyoutsider
02-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Interesting trade. I think the Spurs could use Jefferson and I think the reason they would pick him up is to make more progress in the playoffs. Spurs have done extremely well in the regular season, especially during times where Ginobli and Duncan have been out. But I think this move is for the playoffs.

Having a low post scorer like Jefferson should ease the pressure on Duncan and give them some more options.

It always seems that the Spurs get their hands on talented players somehow (great scouting) so them losing Splitter might hurt, but they'll be fine in the long run I think.

todu82
02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Al Jefferson to the Spurs would make a great team that much better. Would be interesting to see what the Spurs would have to give up to get him.

kdspurman
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Like I said is about time to take a risk Physical/Athletic teams always beat the Spurs for reason.

Meh, not really... Last year OKC got hot at the right time

Giraffes Rule
02-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Like I said is about time to take a risk Physical/Athletic teams always beat the Spurs for reason.

So your idea of countering athletic teams is getting a slow footed big that doesn't fit into the Spurs offense at all?

Al Jefferson to the Spurs would make a great team that much better. Would be interesting to see what the Spurs would have to give up to get him.

It really wouldn't make them better.

xxplayerxx23
02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Al Jefferson would be a big time pickup for the spurs

Losoway
02-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Aj -duncan-leonard-manu- parker. Omg thats a crazy lineup

UnWantedTheory
02-11-2013, 11:24 PM
So your idea of countering athletic teams is getting a slow footed big that doesn't fit into the Spurs offense at all?

It really wouldn't make them better.

I am trying to give it up. People tend to believe putting names on paper make winning teams.

bagwell368
02-12-2013, 08:29 AM
People tend to believe putting names on paper make winning teams.

Amen to that. That's why just about everybody has an all time starting 5 of guys that have won multiple scoring titles, as if there are 3 balls to go around.

If Jefferson takes to coaching, and his role, he could be quite good, but what do they deal to cover the salary?

Giraffes Rule
02-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Amen to that. That's why just about everybody has an all time starting 5 of guys that have won multiple scoring titles, as if there are 3 balls to go around.

If Jefferson takes to coaching, and his role, he could be quite good, but what do they deal to cover the salary?

Spurs can pretty easily match a high payed player thanks to Jackson's expiring. The problem when it comes to Al Jefferson is that he doesn't fit in at all. Not one bit. He's not a good defender and likely never will be. His offensive game requires teams to feed him in the post, which the Spurs already have in Duncan. Jefferson doesn't play the pick and roll well on offense or defense, and a big that can't pick and roll with Tony or Manu will have trouble fitting in. It's a lot to ask a guy to come in mid season and become something he isn't to fit into a team. Especially when Tiago Splitter already gives the Spurs very efficient production that fits in perfectly within the rest of the offense.