PDA

View Full Version : Is this a walk? NBA rule question...

Everymanalion
02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Some people call it when I play against them, some do not. I already dribbled and stopped, ball in two hands, pivot foot is my right foot, I jump using my left foot bring my pivot foot off the ground(right foot) and my left foot at the same time but I use my left foot(non pivot) to jump back and create space, a travel/walk?

chicago lulz
02-05-2013, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77eCWVj0kzI Like that? I'm kind of having trouble picturing what you're describing, but from what I understand, you're doing a similar maneuver in the video, but while Rose still has his dribble when he steps back, you don't. So it sounds like traveling to me.

bholly
02-05-2013, 10:03 PM
If you're jumping off both feet at the same time and you're shooting or passing before you touch the ground again, then I think you're fine. The way you describe your jump is confusing though - are you saying both feet leave the ground at the same time but the power is coming from your left foot?

Cromedome
02-05-2013, 10:32 PM
If i'm reading this right...when you're jumping back, you better be shooting or passing because it sounds like a walk/travel if not.

Cromedome
02-05-2013, 10:33 PM

Phenomenonsense
02-06-2013, 01:29 AM
It's a walk if they call it a walk. Respect the call from the opposing team and keep playing.

WhoAmI-
02-06-2013, 01:51 AM
If you were to pass the ball, and not take a difficult shot, you wouldn't have this problem. lol jp

However, if you don't move your pivot and you jump off your non-pivot it's not a walk unless you move your pivot before you jump

*Superman*
02-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Some people call it when I play against them, some do not. I already dribbled and stopped, ball in two hands, pivot foot is my right foot, I jump using my left foot bring my pivot foot off the ground(right foot) and my left foot at the same time but I use my left foot(non pivot) to jump back and create space, a travel/walk?

Sounds like it. You already stopped dribbling and established a pivot foot, you really are limited to what you can do, and I don't think "jumping back" falls into that category.

Honestly, post a video because this is bothering me now...

*Superman*
02-06-2013, 01:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77eCWVj0kzI Like that? I'm kind of having trouble picturing what you're describing, but from what I understand, you're doing a similar maneuver in the video, but while Rose still has his dribble when he steps back, you don't. So it sounds like traveling to me.

Thissssssss.

aLau10
02-06-2013, 02:10 AM
If you're jumping off both feet at the same time and you're shooting or passing before you touch the ground again, then I think you're fine. The way you describe your jump is confusing though - are you saying both feet leave the ground at the same time but the power is coming from your left foot?

This...

LongWayFromHome
02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Yes its a travel. In the NBA nothing is a travel though.

So no.

8kobe24
02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
If both feet come off the ground simultaneously, not traveling. But if your pivot foot comes up first, then it's traveling.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
If both feet come off the ground simultaneously, not traveling. But if your pivot foot comes up first, then it's traveling.

^

*Superman*
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Doesn't sound like you're doing a Dirk fadeaway, but if you are then that's not a travel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfewOvwxMR0

JasonJohnHorn
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Well... from the sounds of it you are pulling a Hakeem. You have a pivot, work around the pivot and then fall back launching off your non-pivot foot. That's not a travel, or at least, I have never seen it called a travel before. Dirk does that as well. Lots of players do.