PDA

View Full Version : NBA wants to go to Europe, but what about a little Europe to the nba?

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Just an idea I've kicked around with some friends, what about an English Premier League style relegation system? The d-league could be folded in, and then bottom feeding NBA teams can be headlining in smaller markets in down years, and who knows maybe you have some team make a dark horse playoff run out of a hot year in the relegated league. I think this also presents an interesting incentive to teams not to tank when things go awry.

Again just an idea and I've had some of own questions about it, but what do you think? Could it even be plausible?

NoahH
02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
One issue I do see is if bottom feeder teams (lets use Orlando for an example) gets relegated, they will stay in the bottom tier and who would sign there? All the good players: Afflalo, Nelson, Reddick would move to other teams and Orlando would stay in the lower tier and lose money.

But, it would be interesting and its an intriguing idea

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
True, though if you have the pocket book, people would eventually sign with you, or you can start signing better than market value one year contacts, and be incredibly flexible against the cap to sign free agents when a team comes out of relegation. And it makes a more talented nba, when you can differentiate more clearly whether some guys d-league numbers hold up against the better talent. And on the revenue side, you could probably sell more of these second tier star jerseys. Very valid though.

king4day
02-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Interesting idea. NoahH brings up a good point but aside from that, it's not a bad concept.

OceanSpray
02-05-2013, 05:12 PM
The only reason NBA is down there is so they can expand even further.

aLau10
02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Well the thing is Euro clubs have sponsors and no luxury tax or anything like that (atleast I believe...)
Me and my friends have discussed this idea before but forgot what one of my friends said that convinced us that it probably wouldn't work out...
Not trying to burst your bubble, I like the idea as I said we did discuss about it before, but I really don't see it happening.. =/

NoahH
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
It might have to do more with the sport too, I dont know. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about professional soccer because I don't but maybe two superstars on one team in soccer don't make the team automatically contenders like two superstars in the NBA do (usually). Also maybe the talent pool is bigger for soccer? IDK

Hellcrooner
02-05-2013, 08:14 PM
imposible to apply in usa.
Rules are so differnet.
And in europe this works because EVERY little town , every City, has at least one team ( sometimes more) and there are tons of divisions.
ALl teams scout, train and develop their own prospect youngsters from their aerea ( or even go searching in other areas if htey have the money) and play them in their Youth teams until they are ready to debut with the main team ( wich creates REAL BONDS OF LOYALTY).

Esentially, is a system that woudl clash with :
-Franchise concept as something movable.
-Salary Cap
-Draft
-Max Salarys
-NCAA ( ncaa teams would need to be included and go pro)

Not an easy feature

PatriotsGirl
02-05-2013, 08:49 PM
I think it would be really cool to have something like this. Not sure it is entirely plausible though.

Love that walrus, btw. Is that a walrus D'Antoni? Lol.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-05-2013, 08:56 PM
imposible to apply in usa.
Rules are so differnet.
And in europe this works because EVERY little town , every City, has at least one team ( sometimes more) and there are tons of divisions.
ALl teams scout, train and develop their own prospect youngsters from their aerea ( or even go searching in other areas if htey have the money) and play them in their Youth teams until they are ready to debut with the main team ( wich creates REAL BONDS OF LOYALTY).

Esentially, is a system that woudl clash with :
-Franchise concept as something movable.
-Salary Cap
-Draft
-Max Salarys
-NCAA ( ncaa teams would need to be included and go pro)

Not an easy feature

Hmm, we'll I was thinking the d-league could serve as a basic infrastructure. When compared with the epl every town in England may have one to every town, but extrapolated to the size of north american talent pools, isn't the size of the d-league close?
As far as the draft, I'd say make the lottery a mix of teams that are relegated (give them one last chance at a draft pick going out, and if they can't play their way back into the lottery they can draft from a second d-league draft. College eligibility wouldn't necessarily have to be changed I wouldn't think.
Max players? Well, if the pockets are deep enough, and somebody is competitive enough to believe they could take some nobodies and try to make a run? Not sayin its likely, just something I think would be intriguing. I suggested high value short term deals for players that may want to showcase their talents where they may get more time for a year make a run and move on where he can get a secure deal.
Haha and I'm not anywhere close to well enough versed in cap rules to respond to those issues, so I won't.

Again all valid points, and I fully realize this is NOT going to happen, I suppose I'm just trying to look for the similarities over the differences.

Mainly, I made this thread so I could talk about something other than Lebron/Kobe in the dunk contest, and the effect on their legacies.

Vancity
02-06-2013, 03:27 AM
A secondary league where KC, Louisville, Vancouver, Seattle, London, Barcelona, etc play. Say 12 teams.
Bottom 2 teams relegate or maybe bottom 4 play a playoffs. No one will tank at the end of the year a la golden state. Top 2 teams get in. (Team with best record, team who wins the playoffs)

Lets just say the NBA has bottom feeding teams anyways. Now here's another thing, players will compete harder, the regular season being more competitive. You'll see tough choices like players taking less money so there is team is better constructed and they don't get relegated. Teams with the superstars will never be in that position. The only thing that might be crappy is losing john wall for a year. Or something. But really will we miss him. I never see him on TV anyways, saw him more when he was on Kentucky. That and the new teams get the top picks is incentive for sticking it out in the relegation league.

thoughts.