PDA

View Full Version : Contracts I'm Glad the Sox NEVER gave out

wolf82
02-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Say what you want about the sox and handing out a few bad contracts over the last couple of years. But, there are a couple of contracts I'm am glad they never handed out.

For instance, I'm glad they never pulled the trigger on A-rod, and Teixeira. IMO the sox dodged a bullet when the Yankees jumped the sox to get these two.

A-roid is declining rapidly, and not to mention the media clown he has come since the new PED scandal has come out.

Tex, has come out and stated he is over paid, and his production is had started to decline, and is def not worth the contract given to him.

What contracts are you guys glad the sox never handed out?

AI
02-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Right now, everytime we talk about contracts we didn't do I always think about Matt Holliday.

Signing him would've prevented so many bad deals and he's an elite hitter.

Bo Sox Fan
02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
In a perfect world:

Signed Matt Holliday in 2010 to replace Jason Bay.
Jon Lackey signing never happened.
Adrian Gonzalez trade/extension happened and he still wears a Red Sox uniform today.
Carl Crawford signing never happened.
Resigned Jonathon Papelbon
Signed Carlos Beltran

I still cream over how sick our offence could look today.

C - Lavarnway
1B - Gonzalez
2B - Pedroia
3B - Middlebrooks
SS - Drew
LF - Holliday
CF - Ellsbury
RF - Beltran
DH - Ortiz

Lester
Dempster
Buchholz
Beckett
Doubront

AI
02-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Lackey probably would've still happened.
Crawford and Cameron deals avoided as well as Jacoby's rib injury in 2010.

Gonzo is iffy, but probably would've still happened as well.

Letting Papelbon go was the right thing to do.

LA Sox Fan
02-05-2013, 11:23 AM
In a perfect world:

Signed Matt Holliday in 2010 to replace Jason Bay.
Jon Lackey signing never happened.
Adrian Gonzalez trade/extension happened and he still wears a Red Sox uniform today.
Carl Crawford signing never happened.
Resigned Jonathon Papelbon
Signed Carlos Beltran

I still cream over how sick our offence could look today.

C - Lavarnway
1B - Gonzalez
2B - Pedroia
3B - Middlebrooks
SS - Drew
LF - Holliday
CF - Ellsbury
RF - Beltran
DH - Ortiz

Lester
Dempster
Buchholz
Beckett
Doubront

Let's not forget that Holliday's signing also could have potentially saved the Sox from re-committing to Beckett. Once the ink was dry on Lackey's awful deal, it set the benchmark for Beckett's extension - he literally got the same contract.

I remember at the time not wanting to see the Sox overpay for Holliday. I was disgusted by Scott Boras and pretty much anyone affiliated with him and I felt like Holliday's value was getting really overestimated by that year's FA market. In hindsight, I'd have signed him twice.

wolf82
02-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I wish they resigned Beltre for 3b and traded Youk when he was still healthy, and still had A-Gon.

Yeah he would have blocked Middlebrooks, but he was still a positive clubhouse guy, and still is raking.

Rather have Beltre than Crawford or Lackey contracts

bagwell368
02-05-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm a huge Agon fan, but no deal for Agon means:

1. Youk at 1B, and his health and production would have been a good deal better longer

2. When Rizzo was ready - say last year, Youk moves to DH, and Ortiz doesn't get his sweetheart 2 year deal.

3. We re-sign Beltre, I'm a lot more confident in him for 2012-2104 than Middlebrooks. WMB could have been a sub at 3B/1B/DH and PH while he was waiting.

Celtic AL
02-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Agon has questions now that makes him not worth the money.

wolf82
02-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm a huge Agon fan, but no deal for Agon means:

1. Youk at 1B, and his health and production would have been a good deal better longer

2. When Rizzo was ready - say last year, Youk moves to DH, and Ortiz doesn't get his sweetheart 2 year deal.

3. We re-sign Beltre, I'm a lot more confident in him for 2012-2104 than Middlebrooks. WMB could have been a sub at 3B/1B/DH and PH while he was waiting.

That would have been sick Rizzo, and Beltre at the Corners.

Nomar
02-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Middlebrooks would've been a big possibility in an Upton trade had Beltre been here too if you want to take that a little further.

Greenmonster24
02-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Yes 2010 would been awesome if we got Beltra signed for long term instead of 1 year. I knew from day one looking at his road splits and the fact he had outproduced Mike Lowell on the road numbers last 3 years. He reminded me of Lowell when he came here coming off down year. Beltra is a vacuum at third base and beside Farell leaving I am sure Beltra saves alot of runs just on defense alone at a critical position. 2010 offseason had we signed Matt Holliday and Beltra for long term deals would made sense. Holliday always loved him as a Rockies player and always thaught he be a good replacement for Manny and could protect Ortiz. I hated Lackey signing and Cameron the day it happened. Best non trade I was happy we didn't trade for Arod in 2003 offseason. Never liked the idea of trading Manny for him. I love the signing of Manny and what he did here and we got rid of him right at the right time. I do that signing all over again in 2000. Never understood the love for Teixara he is good but never thaught of him as a superstar so to me I wasn't upset when he didn't sign cause that price 22 million a year I expect someone hit 40 homers regularly and hit over 300 average.. I said after in 2010 Belta had a better war then Texirra and won silver slugger and gold gloove with us and didn't have to move Youklis from first base. I hated the trade for Gonzalas cause there was so many good free agent first baseman available the next offseason. I guess though at the time I thaught Anderson was a better first baseman then Rizzo so I was happy not to get rid of Anderson boy was I stupid thinking that. It hurts but the Padres also gave up Rizzo and probably wish they hadn't .

bagwell368
02-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Middlebrooks would've been a big possibility in an Upton trade had Beltre been here too if you want to take that a little further.

No thanks, no interest whatever in Upton.

Nomar
02-05-2013, 11:22 PM
No thanks, no interest whatever in Upton.

Doesn't look like we did either, but tthe two teams would match up. That was my point.

Greenmonster24
02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Texierra I always thaught that he was never a superstar and never hit 40 homers. I thaught when we signed Beltra in 2010 and kept Youklis at third base that was the best option for the team. I love having a great defense third baseman that can hit 20 to 30 homers any day over a 40 homer first baseman. Both Lowell was a gold gloove level third baseman until hip injury and Beltra still is and saves alot of runs that other third baseman can't get to. Both to me seem like good club house guys that were very profossenal about there job. I feel bad Redsox owners sold out to bring in big names like Crawford and Gonzalas for ratings instead of bringing good charactor leaders.

Bo Sox Fan
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Or deal Middlebrooks for a starting pitcher.

6cadi6
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
For instance, I'm glad they never pulled the trigger on A-rod

Hmm, who wrote your history books? :facepalm:

wolf82
02-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Hmm, who wrote your history books? :facepalm:

Hmm,let me think. Ahh yes it was 2007 when A-Rod opted out of his contract right after the sox won the world series. All you heard were the fans yelling RESIGN LOWELL. They didn't even look at A-Rod, and resigned Mike Lowell.

Plus, if your talking about when the sox were in talks for trading A-Rod in 2003 it called for a voluntary pay reduction for his salary and length adjustment (a stipulation put in by Theo). The MLBPA didn't like it so they voided it. Instead of trying to adjust the trade to make it work, the sox walked away cause they didn't want a contract like that because of length, and possible health issues.

Therefore, the sox refused to pull the trigger on his HUGE contract if it was not adjusted. Thus, having the yankees trading for him and taking over the contract, and signing him to even more ridiculous contract.

There is your history lesson. Class is dismissed.

redsox96
02-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Jason Bay...

Station 13
02-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Jason Bay...

But then you are kicked in the groin with Lackey contract. Mehh

ruckus16969
02-10-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm glad we never trade for/signed Johan Santana or even further back Barry Zito. Those guys would have crippled the Sox.

Greenmonster24
02-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Dice K we got instead of Zito that offseason. So we didn't make out much better though DIce K was much better first 3 years of his contract. If we got Santana we probably wouldn't have sign Lackey cause of money we were spending on Santana plus we might had done better in 08 and 09 in playoffs those years.

RedSoxtober
02-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Hmm,let me think. Ahh yes it was 2007 when A-Rod opted out of his contract right after the sox won the world series. All you heard were the fans yelling RESIGN LOWELL. They didn't even look at A-Rod, and resigned Mike Lowell.

Plus, if your talking about when the sox were in talks for trading A-Rod in 2003 it called for a voluntary pay reduction for his salary and length adjustment (a stipulation put in by Theo). The MLBPA didn't like it so they voided it. Instead of trying to adjust the trade to make it work, the sox walked away cause they didn't want a contract like that because of length, and possible health issues.

Therefore, the sox refused to pull the trigger on his HUGE contract if it was not adjusted. Thus, having the yankees trading for him and taking over the contract, and signing him to even more ridiculous contract.

There is your history lesson. Class is dismissed.

You should realize that the natural assumption when connecting the Sox with A-Rod was the very prolonged and public negotiation in which the Sox actually landed A-Rod in exchange for Manny (and Jon Lester!) with Nomar going to CWS for Magglio Ordonez in the offseason of 2003. The snag that the deal ran into was A-Rod restructuring his contract to facilitate the trade but in a way that the MLBPA objected to. With no contract restructuring the deal fell through.

The Sox were never publicly linked to A-Rod (and were generally thought to be angry with him) when he preempted their WS win to announce his availability. If you were referring to this much less likely scenario then you probably could have been more specific since the natural assumption was the deal they actually completed and had trumped four year prior.

wolf82
02-11-2013, 11:26 AM
You should realize that the natural assumption when connecting the Sox with A-Rod was the very prolonged and public negotiation in which the Sox actually landed A-Rod in exchange for Manny (and Jon Lester!) with Nomar going to CWS for Magglio Ordonez in the offseason of 2003. The snag that the deal ran into was A-Rod restructuring his contract to facilitate the trade but in a way that the MLBPA objected to. With no contract restructuring the deal fell through.

The Sox were never publicly linked to A-Rod (and were generally thought to be angry with him) when he preempted their WS win to announce his availability. If you were referring to this much less likely scenario then you probably could have been more specific since the natural assumption was the deal they actually completed and had trumped four year prior.

Yeah, but when the other guy insults me, I had to write the short handed version. Pretty much to sum it up itthe possible trade became obviously too costly to get A-Rod, therefore the Sox never pulled the trigger. (Which IMO would have been worse than signing Crawford, Lackey, Beckett's extension, Lugo, Renteria combined.

bagwell368
02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
If we got Santana we probably wouldn't have sign Lackey cause of money we were spending on Santana plus we might had done better in 08 and 09 in playoffs those years.

Santana was going to cost at least Lester, so we would have signed Lackey or someone like him to make up for that hole.

Greenmonster24
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
last 3 years sense 2010 our payroll been at the max 178 and there is no way we were ever going to go over 180 in 2010 or 2011 or 2012 so I think what I trying to see is if we had Santana on our team even if we gave up Lester we would have had to make desisions about our rotation as lackey would been to pricey and we had to sign a less pitcher not Lackey who was the best free agent starter on the market that off season. We also might not have traded Masterson because he was going take Lester spot in Rotation or something but they would have had to work the budget in because we were trying not to go over the luxuary tax and keep opening day payroll under 170 in 2010 and 2011