PDA

View Full Version : Loyalty In the NBA

Matter.
02-05-2013, 02:09 AM
In today's game.. loyalty is not shown at all in the NBA... but why? and Who is the only select few who actually show loyalty to their own team?

DumDum
02-05-2013, 02:16 AM
WE TALKIN' ABOUT Loyalty ?

IgglesFanInCO
02-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Timmy D and Dirk

IndyRealist
02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Players are supposed to be loyal to their teams, but Boston is looking to trade KG, Indy's taking calls on Granger, Calderon and Gay got moved, etc. It's kind of hypocritical.

Teams are supposed to look to improve regardless of loyalties, why are player not supposed to put themselves in a better position to win or earn money?

kdspurman
02-05-2013, 10:23 AM
The Spurs organization, and their big 3.

Dirk, (though him being moved might not be out of the question at some point) same with Pierce

DITKA4GOV
02-05-2013, 11:18 AM
The face of the NBA has changed. Reggie Miller, David Robinson/ Tim Duncan, Bird, Magic, Hakeem, Stockton and so on are gone. Loyalty is an honorable thing, but also never netted some of those guys rings. In this day and age of superteams, I only see a select few staying loyal to the end. D. Rose (Chi born and bred), KDurant, DWade, Kobe, and TParker/Manu may be the last remaining guys that could end up retiring from the team that they first played for.

I personally hope the super team trend is just a fad, and stars are spread amongst the league and stay with thier respective team longer. A more level playing field creates more excitment in my opinion. Team basketball to me is way more intersting then ISO offense for Melo or LBJ. If Miami rattles off a three peat, sadly the demise of this league will be 3-5 contenders every year, and a bunch of terrible teams.

**I didn't include Pierce and Dirk because I think they both end thier careers somewhere else, maybe against boths wishes.

ManRam
02-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Duncan has been loyal, but it really wasn't ever a tough decision for him. :laugh2: I mean, what team has had more success and more talent than the Spurs over the past decade? It never was rough sailing in San Antonio. Same with Kobe, who almost fled the second things weren't perfect. They've had it good and never really had a reason to be "disloyal".

The whole idea of "loyalty" is silly...especially if you expect all players to be equally "loyal" to their teams regardless of circumstances.

kdspurman
02-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Duncan has been loyal, but it really wasn't ever a tough decision for him. :laugh2: I mean, what team has had more success and more talent than the Spurs over the past decade? It never was rough sailing in San Antonio. Same with Kobe, who almost fled the second things weren't perfect. They've had it good and never really had a reason to be "disloyal".

The whole idea of "loyalty" is silly...especially if you expect all players to be equally "loyal" to their teams regardless of circumstances.

Well, he seriously considered going to Orlando. A chance to go play with some big named guys, or staying put. I'd say that was a pretty tough decision. Especially knowing his running mate Robinson only had a few years left.

LongIslandIcedZ
02-05-2013, 12:33 PM
As a fan it's always nice to see a player show real loyalty and stay with the same team his entire career, but it's not very realistic. Not everyone is put in a perfect situation and guys want to put themselves in the best position to win. I think I would like to see most stars stay with the team that drafted them, but then the KNicks would suck lol.

ManRam
02-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Well, he seriously considered going to Orlando. A chance to go play with some big named guys, or staying put. I'd say that was a pretty tough decision. Especially knowing his running mate Robinson only had a few years left.

True. And trust me, I remember that.

And that was before Manu and Parker, and it was when Robinson was getting up there. So maybe I'm selling him a little short. However, compared to the decision LeBron had to make, or Love will have to make, or KG had to make, and so on and so on...it doesn't compare. Not all circumstances are alike, that's my only point. He was fresh off a championship....

NoahH
02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
You do what you gotta do to win

kdspurman
02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
True. And trust me, I remember that.

And that was before Manu and Parker, and it was when Robinson was getting up there. So maybe I'm selling him a little short. However, compared to the decision LeBron had to make, or Love will have to make, or KG had to make, and so on and so on...it doesn't compare. Not all circumstances are alike, that's my only point. He was fresh off a championship....

Ha, I'm sure you and most Magic fans do!

But yea no doubt, not nearly the kind of decision some of these other guys had to make, but he did have the chance to leave for a bigger city and play with bigger names.

I still wonder how that would've changed the 2000's sometimes... Just very fortunate he decided to stay put.

Jarvo
02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
The Spurs organization, and their big 3.

Dirk, (though him being moved might not be out of the question at some point) same with Pierce

:win:

Jarvo
02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
But this is The NBA aka "what have you done for me lately" league so all that loyal **** is out the door.

Corey
02-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Its a business.

Too much sensitivity. The end goal is profit and a competitive team/title.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Loyalty in a business as large as the NBA? Myth, then as now. Any so called loyalty, came with dollar incentives and outrageous offers. Outside of a select few home bodies, and elite talents that garnered lucrative contacts, loyalty in any professional sport, especially now, is inherently difficult. Too many $$$$$$, not that I blame them.
If a player leaves, it's almost always because there are enough incentives to do so, whether its money, talent, locale, bad relations in the former locker room, or some personal issue, it's not my place to judge their lives, when 99% of what I hear about them is hearsay and speculation. If you expect your team to be making trades that are in its best interest, why shouldn't you expect the players on that team to capitalize on their leverage while they have it? It ain't personal, it's just business.

abe_froman
02-05-2013, 02:29 PM
the only people you should be loyal to is your family.its a job,seriously i have no idea why people dont get that.would you be loyal to your boss/company if you could get better pay/benefits at a rival company? hell no! so why should players?

Chronz
02-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Why should there%2

ClevelandSpider
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
The Decision killed any player loyalty that I believed in...seriously, it's a business, and players aren't wrong to take the better offer, but when players leave their home team to team up with other stars for less money, that's like stabbing loyalty in the back...I think we as fans must realize that there is no such thing as loyalty in sports anymore, players being loyal is the exception rather than the rule

stejay
02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Shouldnt be players loyal to a franchise, its the franchise being loyal to a player. Much more rare for a player to demand a trade than a team trading the player away. That said, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Dirk Nowitzki and a certain extent Kobe Bryant

jayjay33
02-05-2013, 03:53 PM
In today's game.. loyalty is not shown at all in the NBA... but why? and Who is the only select few who actually show loyalty to their own team?

Are you talking about loyalty both ways. As in player to team and team to player? Or just player to team?

omdigga
02-05-2013, 04:12 PM
fans are loyal. players are getting paid.

Rammix
02-05-2013, 04:33 PM
I feel that if a team wants to sign a player to a max contract, they should not be able to trade him. I think it would eliminate these super teams and bring loyalty back to the NBA. that's just my opinion tho. What do you guys think?

SteBO
02-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Players that play out the duration of their contracts (player/team options and all), deserve the right to choose where they want to take their careers. Loyalty has only taken so few players so far (Duncan, Parker, Dirk).

amos1er
02-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Loyalty is overrated. Players should go where they have the best chance at winning. If a team fails to build a contender around them, than IMO, it's the team that wasn't being loyal to their franchise player. If the team can't be loyal to them, then why should they be loyal to the team.

ackar
02-05-2013, 04:53 PM
There was never loyalty in sports. There were in the beginning and for some substantial years no free agency and the only way a player moved from team to team was via trade. So in the beginning there was a false sense of loyalty that fans saw only because player movement was severally restricted.

Celtics33
02-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Kevin Garnett

Boston's Kevin Garnett didn't mince his words on Tuesday when asked about hearing his name in trade rumors.

"... I bleed green, I die green. That's what it is," Garnett said today, per Greg Payne of ESPNBoston.com. "But it is a business and when that crosses the path, I'll deal with it. But trades are part of this league. Every year you're going to hear certain things. If I were you all, I wouldn't read too much into it."