PDA

View Full Version : ESPN is to sports news reporting as housewives are to Atlanta...

ClevelandSpider
02-05-2013, 01:11 AM
I've been a long time viewer of ESPN and shows like First Take and PTI, and yes at times it's been apparent that they provide more sensationalist, exaggerated, knee jerk reactionary news reporting than anything with real substance...the Manti Te'o "scandal" almost made me stop watching all together, but the tip of the iceberg was today's reporting on LeBron's 13/14 night...

Don't get me wrong, LeBron is the best basketball player on the planet and a good shooter, but the way ESPN hyped his 13/14 performance, complete with a fg % for those that care about the math, and then a list of best shooting performances in NBA history, with names like Larry Legend, MJ, Magic, and it just got me...watching all 13 of his buckets, every single one of them was a lay up or a close put in, not a single jump shot...Larry Legend went 13/14 before and you know that at least half his shots were jump shots...I dont know, maybe it doesnt warrant someone to stop watching in of itself, but it put me over the edge, I'm done with their gossip news...so I think ESPN is to sports news reporting as housewives are to Atlanta, gossip gossip gossip, what will get a reaction, lets make big deals out of nothing blah blah blah...

Anyone else have input on their view of ESPN and why they still watch or stopped watching?

JOhnnyTHaJet
02-05-2013, 01:29 AM
PTI, Around the Horn, and Numbers Never Lie are the only shows I respect on ESPN.

First Take is their biggest show yet is the biggest joke. A Tebow segment almost every show, idiotic questions, and no insight at all for the in depth fan, it should be cancelled but it appeases too many idiots.

jchase3
02-05-2013, 01:40 AM
I've been a long time viewer of ESPN and shows like First Take and PTI, and yes at times it's been apparent that they provide more sensationalist, exaggerated, knee jerk reactionary news reporting than anything with real substance...the Manti Te'o "scandal" almost made me stop watching all together, but the tip of the iceberg was today's reporting on LeBron's 13/14 night...

Don't get me wrong, LeBron is the best basketball player on the planet and a good shooter, but the way ESPN hyped his 13/14 performance, complete with a fg % for those that care about the math, and then a list of best shooting performances in NBA history, with names like Larry Legend, MJ, Magic, and it just got me...watching all 13 of his buckets, every single one of them was a lay up or a close put in, not a single jump shot...Larry Legend went 13/14 before and you know that at least half his shots were jump shots...I dont know, maybe it doesnt warrant someone to stop watching in of itself, but it put me over the edge, I'm done with their gossip news...so I think ESPN is to sports news reporting as housewives are to Atlanta, gossip gossip gossip, what will get a reaction, lets make big deals out of nothing blah blah blah...

Anyone else have input on their view of ESPN and why they still watch or stopped watching?

THANK YOU. All they do is hype LeBron all day long... it's sickening.

ClevelandSpider
02-05-2013, 02:00 AM
THANK YOU. All they do is hype LeBron all day long... it's sickening.

I hated Skip Bayless when LeBron was on the Cavs and then after the decision I became his biggest fan, but now all he does is praise James, I feel like ESPN told him to do that and let up, they just care about ratings and grandizing things, my favorite shows are PTI and Around the Horn, First Take, tho I watch it, gets on my nerves, I do like the athletes they bring on tho

ChiTownPacerFan
02-05-2013, 02:05 AM
Two thoughts... First, this point has been made thousands of times! Not that I disagree with you, per se, but we don't need 100 ESPN bashing threads per week. Second, and more importantly, you need to learn how to construct an analogy. I'm trying to follow the logic of what you wrote. ESPN provides bad sports news reporting, so what, housewives provide bad Atlanta? O_o You should have said something to the effect of "ESPN is to sports news reporting as The Real Housewives of Atlanta are to reality television.

DumDum
02-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Its one AM and your making another lebron hate threat

:horse:

SugeKnight
02-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Two thoughts... First, this point has been made thousands of times! Not that I disagree with you, per se, but we don't need 100 ESPN bashing threads per week. Second, and more importantly, you need to learn how to construct an analogy. I'm trying to follow the logic of what you wrote. ESPN provides bad sports news reporting, so what, housewives provide bad Atlanta? O_o You should have said something to the effect of "ESPN is to sports news reporting as The Real Housewives of Atlanta are to reality television.
Yeah you need to work on your analogies, bro.

cheaptrikz
02-05-2013, 02:21 AM
I rmr when I use to comeback from and the first thing I did was turn on ESPN and watch little bit of Outside the lines then Jim Rome,around the horn and pti. Haven't watched espn for 4 yrs other then a couple bulls game. They have the worst highlights for bball, 2 plays from 1st q and 2 from 4th final score, next game.

ClevelandSpider
02-05-2013, 02:30 AM

It's simple ESPN is the gossip w.h.0.r.3 of sports news reporting and the Real Housewives are the gossip ____s of Atlanta, pretty simple

ClevelandSpider
02-05-2013, 02:31 AM
Yeah you need to work on your analogies, bro.

Again, it's pretty simple, but then again it's not for the feeble minded either :facepalm:

ClevelandSpider
02-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Its one AM and your making another lebron hate threat

:horse:

Not a LeBron hate thread and a little of an ESPN hate thread, think of it as an acknowledgement of the romantic relationship ESPN has with LeBron and exagerrating sports news

Kid Fabulous
02-05-2013, 02:38 AM
Thank you! I try to watch as little of BSPN as I can because I like to watch highlights of games I missed and get a little analysis, SOMETIMES. But now everything they do is such a production. I don't idolize sports figures so I certainly don't need to see a 5 minute sappy story about something that happens to one of these guys. I dont feel sorry for you. YOU MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! Im struggling to make enough money to keep this stupid channel on ny tv. And quit trying to make me cry with all of these Make a Wish stories. Its a Great cause. I have nothing against them. But I don't want to watch BSPN exploit it for ratings. And these athletes do it to help their image. Bottom line, they've tried to turn it into something that you can sit down with your wife or girlfriend to watch. Save that crap for Lifetime. I want to see highlights and games. That's all.

DumDum
02-05-2013, 02:54 AM
popcorn

ChiTownPacerFan
02-05-2013, 02:56 AM
It's simple ESPN is the gossip w.h.0.r.3 of sports news reporting and the Real Housewives are the gossip ____s of Atlanta, pretty simple

My bad, I guess it makes sense. It's late, and I read it weird. Carry on with the ESPN bashing.

Manimal
02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Only watch PTI and Around the Horn. And lately I find PTI a drag as well. Around the Horn is probably the only one worth watching.

Their NBA Countdown show is a trainwreck too. Can't believe Jalen Rose still has a gig in TV.

flea
02-05-2013, 10:47 AM
ESPN is to sports news as NBA is to competitive sports.

ClevelandSpider
02-05-2013, 11:58 AM
ESPN is to sports news as NBA is to competitive sports.

Meaning both are a joke in their respective genres? I kind of get it, I guess the level of competition in the NBA has diminished with the establishment of "super teams" or "big threes," but with the new CBA and luxury tax threshold increases, the era of the big threes and super teams will be ending soon, unfortunately it will allow the Heat 2 more title chances...

I think ESPN has its worth in that they air primetime games and highlights, they have some good analysts, mainly former players, but then they have the likes of Skip Bayless, whos a flip flopper extraordinaire, will say anything for a reaction, Stephen A Smith who pulls the brother card way too often, Rob Parker, enuf said, LeBatard is a joke...I do like PTI but their takes on some things is head scratching, Around the Horn and NNL are both superior to PTI, I guess take it for what it's worth...

My gripe is the sensationalism journalism, the flip flopping and love affairs they have with certain players...in the aftermath of the Decision, it was anti-LeBron, now all they do is kiss his ***, its mediocre