PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Trade Mike Rupp To Wild For Nick Palmeiri, Darroll Powe

metswon69
02-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Minnesota Wild ‏@mnwild

BREAKING: #mnwild acquires C Mike Rupp from @NYRangers for C Darroll Powe and RW Nick Palmieri. Details: http://ow.ly/hplFQ #NHL

SLY WILLIAMS
02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Woah I did not see that coming. Thanks for letting us know.

metswon69
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
It must have went under the radar because only the official twitter feed for the Wild had it initially lol..

I was surprised too.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-04-2013, 03:20 PM
I'd rather have Zooks than any of these guys. Ditto Mitchell. I'm glad we got Nash and Pyatt in the off season but I believe our team misses the depth that Mitch and Zooks gave in case of injury. To be fair I barely know the 2 guys we traded for. They could surprise me.

metswon69
02-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

#NYR Powe will join Rangers, while it is likely Palmieri will be with team's minor-league affiliate, the AHL's Connecticut Whale

metswon69
02-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I'd rather have Zooks than any of these guys. Ditto Mitchell. I'm glad we got Nash and Pyatt in the off season but I believe our team misses the depth that Mitch and Zooks gave in case of injury. To be fair I barely know the 2 guys we traded for. They could surprise me.

#NYR Powe fills important hole for NYR on PK. Finished second last ssn in shorthand minutes for Minny. Also had 91 blocked shots

There is the reason Torts and Sather love him lol

J4KOP99
02-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Well there you have it, he helps out our pk and is willing to sacrifice his body.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-04-2013, 03:33 PM

There is the reason Torts and Sather love him lol

Both penalty killing and shot blocks are good things but Slats is not a guy that is obsessed with blocked shots. Slats likes offensive play and tough guys. I'd prefer to see more offensive thinking but I'm sure I sound like a broken record so just tune me out. :)

metswon69
02-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Both penalty killing and shot blocks are good things but Slats is not a guy that is obsessed with blocked shots. Slats likes offensive play and tough guys. I'd prefer to see more offensive thinking but I'm sure I sound like a broken record so just tune me out. :)

Yeah so do i but this move fits Tort's system to a T.

There is obviously so much emphasis on PK (especially with the amount of penalties have been this season) and all the block shots.

Sacrifice yourself in the defensive zone for the expense of the team it is (I feel like Yoda)

SLY WILLIAMS
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah so do i but this move fits Torts to a T.

There is obviously so much emphasis on PK (especially with the amount of penalties have been this season) and all the block shots.

Sacrifice yourself for the expense of the team it is (I feel like Yoda)

I'm always about team first play but it is debatable if all these shot blocks are good for the teams personal long term. We have lost some pretty good players to shot blocking injuries and even if not seriously injured they can hurt really bad and slow guys down.

metswon69
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm always about team first play but it is debatable if all these shot blocks are good for the teams personal long term. We have lost some pretty good players to shot blocking injuries and even if not seriously injured they can hurt really bad and slow guys down.

Yeah i dont love it either, losing Cally for example (to a blocked shot) right before the playoffs two seasons ago really hurt us in that series against Washington.

The Rangers held a lead in 3 games of that 5 game series and Callahan would have made a difference.

I still don't love the ineffectiveness on the power play and the lack of goal scoring but this is grind it out hockey at its finest.

Maybe as some of these guys get used to playing with each other more, we'll see more offense. We saw that with Richards last year.

Bellz
02-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Nick Palmieri only 23? My boy thats a devils fan said Palmieri is a pretty nice player

metswon69
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord

#NYR also return Benn Ferriero to #CTWhale and recall 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller and Brandon Mashinter.

Am excited to see JT Miller come up..

Mashinter also had 7 points in 8 AHL games since coming to the Rangers and is a big body at 6'3 224.

NYR_NYJ
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
I don't know how I feel about this move, I liked Rupp but these guys seem like some depth we needed.

PurpleJesus
02-04-2013, 05:22 PM
It must have went under the radar because only the official twitter feed for the Wild had it initially lol..

I was surprised too.
Wild got the best beat writer in the league. He always gets the accurate news first.

As far as the trade, I wouldnt get too excited about Powe, Palmieri is the one you want to keep your eye on. Could be an every day forward on the 3rd or 4th line.

metswon69
02-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Wild got the best beat writer in the league. He always gets the accurate news first.

As far as the trade, I wouldnt get too excited about Powe, Palmieri is the one you want to keep your eye on. Could be an every day forward on the 3rd or 4th line.

Powe works for us, he fits our defensive system of blocking shots and helping out our PK which the Rangers are currently 19th in the league.

Katie Strang had it too, i just missed the tweet.

mudvayne387
02-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Nick Palmieri only 23? My boy thats a devils fan said Palmieri is a pretty nice player

I will respectfully disagree with your friend. Nick is from the same small town as I am so I've always made sure to watch him when he skated with the Devils. He seems very slow and timid on the ice. He should be a more physical player but sadly he gets pushed around alot.

bsi
02-04-2013, 06:03 PM
This is a salary dump. Sather gets rid of another one of his bad contracts. I think we're about to sign someone else if you asked me.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-04-2013, 06:34 PM
This is a salary dump. Sather gets rid of another one of his bad contracts. I think we're about to sign someone else if you asked me.

The funny thing with Slats is even when he signs a bad contract he often (not always) finds a way to get rid of it without too much damage. I know a lot of people dislike Slats but I really like having him as a GM especially when it comes to trades.

YankeeFanAlways
02-04-2013, 06:46 PM
The funny thing with Slats is even when he signs a bad contract he often (not always) finds a way to get rid of it without too much damage. I know a lot of people dislike Slats but I really like having him as a GM especially when it comes to trades.

I've been saying this for years.

SLY WILLIAMS
02-04-2013, 06:53 PM
I've been saying this for years.

I did my best Slats imitation last week in the trade thread trading for Crosby. I ended up with a basic agreement where we kept almost all of our best players. We kept Nash-Gabs-Richards-McD-Lundy-Staal-MDZ-Hags and still got Crobsy. I made a few guys untouchable and just kept grinding the Pens fan down till I got what I wanted. :)

I cant remember the exact deal for sure but I think it ended up Stepan-Cally-Kreider-Girardi for Crosby.

IAmARanger18
02-04-2013, 10:47 PM
I love the deal Rupp sucks, he is slow, he can't fight, he is more of a liability then anything else, 1 down 1 more **** player to go, trade Bickel now.

As for the 2 players we got, Powe fits Torts system, he was 2nd in the NHL in blocked shots last year, finished 3 ahead of Cally in that department, he is a very good PK'er and solid 3rd line Center.

Palmieri is just 23 years old and he showed some talent when he played for the Devils, he will be a project we have to work on but I really like him.

bsi
02-04-2013, 10:52 PM
I love the deal Rupp sucks, he is slow, he can't fight, he is more of a liability then anything else, 1 down 1 more **** player to go, trade Bickel now.

As for the 2 players we got, Powe fits Torts system, he was 2nd in the NHL in blocked shots last year, finished 3 ahead of Cally in that department, he is a very good PK'er and solid 3rd line Center.

Palmieri is just 23 years old and he showed some talent when he played for the Devils, he will be a project we have to work on but I really like him.

This just confirmed that Bickel won't be going anywhere, he's our heavyweight fighter. Atleast now we won't have Bickel and Rupp both taking roster spots though.

MJL80
02-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Rupp has pretty much been useless as a Ranger with the exception of the Winter Classic... practically anybody would be an upgrade. Hate to bash the guy, but to me he was an overrated fighter with zero skill

bsi
02-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Rupp has pretty much been useless as a Ranger with the exception of the Winter Classic... practically anybody would be an upgrade. Hate to bash the guy, but to me he was an overrated fighter with zero skill

Injuries caught up to him, he wasn't always like that, he was a pretty effective player with NJ and Pits. It was killing us to have both him and Bickel tying up roster spots though.

IAmARanger18
02-05-2013, 03:16 PM
This just confirmed that Bickel won't be going anywhere, he's our heavyweight fighter. Atleast now we won't have Bickel and Rupp both taking roster spots though.

Well that sucks because Bickel is useless.

bsi
02-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Well that sucks because Bickel is useless.

I agree, he's a big pilon. Hopefully they just use him as a fighter, and play him on the 4th line forward where he's not the last man back.