PDA

View Full Version : Asik is averaging 17REB in 31MPG the last 3 Games

Chronz
02-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Thats an insane rebound rate

Here are some quotes from 2 articles on him:
http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/chairman-boards
http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/trials-perspiration

“It’s huge,” says Jeremy Lin of Asik’s relentless rebounding efforts. “You look at his plus-minus and things like that; he affects the floor (in so many ways) getting defensive rebounds and all that stuff – when he’s not in the game we’re definitely hurting on the glass. He’s big time.”

“He came up to me one day and said, ‘Coach Kel, I’m a great example of why, if you just play hard and care about winning, good things will happen. I come from a team where I averaged three points and five rebounds and only played 14 minutes per game. But I got a good contract because we were winning.’

“Omer is so team-oriented at all times. He just wants to help his team win games and he knew for him that was defense and defensive rebounding. There are some guys who are stat hounds that are all tied to selfish reasons. But defensive rebounding is such a team-builder. There’s nobody on our team that has an individual strength as good as Omer except for maybe James Harden at getting to the free throw line.

“He’s never been an offensive player,” Dawson says. “That’s a major hurdle when you’re his age. He’s 26 and you’ve got to get this in his instincts. But the way he’s so enthusiastic makes him really fun to work with. He’s a hard worker, he wants it, he picks it up well.

“I have never seen how much power this kid’s got. I’ve been behind some of the best, from Moses Malone to Olajuwon to Yao, and you can’t move this kid. He’s 295, 7-foot and he’s strong as an ox. He can get on the floor and help us defensively already. He doesn’t have to be a great offensive player. He just has to handle the situations that come to him. If he does that, he’ll be a big plus for the Rockets.”

Thoughts on his season? I was hoping all those who vehemently denied his talent/production could come in here and admit their faults.

DaBUU
02-02-2013, 02:15 PM
My god do I miss Omer, more and more every game.

kozelkid
02-02-2013, 02:18 PM

:(

Noah won't make it through this season without a competent back up...

HouRealCoach
02-02-2013, 02:18 PM
I'll admit I was wrong about him... I thought Houston was ******** for giving him that contract

TO Rapz
02-02-2013, 02:20 PM
So is Aaron Gray.

Sadds The Gr8
02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I was wrong too. I thought the advanced stats that backed him last year were misleading. This guy is nasty...wish the Raps got him

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-02-2013, 02:26 PM
really Chronz?? really

Last 3 games:laugh2:

I now he's playing and rebounding well but cmon last 3 games is an awfully large sample size :rolleyes:

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-02-2013, 02:29 PM

Yeah you guys ****ed up.lol

tredigs
02-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Okafor averaging 14 rpg in just 30.7 mpg in the last 8 games. Not too shabby himself.

Asik's a piece a offensively rich contender would kill for.

Chronz
02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
So is Aaron Gray.
Is he finally starting to come on? Ever since that LA series I was wondering if he would become a regular rotation caliber player but his stats were hideous to start the year.

Chronz
02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
really Chronz?? really

I now he's playing and rebounding well but cmon last 3 games is an awfully large sample size :rolleyes:
So? I may be highlighting 3 games but its about his entire season. Hes getting better with every game and hes actually better offensively than I thought he would be.
Still feel free to name the last time someone had a rebound rate this high in 3 games. Unless you would rather see more threads about LAL/MIA, what exactly is wrong with bringing attention to players around the league?

Chronz
02-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Okafor averaging 14 rpg in just 30.7 mpg in the last 8 games. Not too shabby himself.

Asik's a piece a offensively rich contender would kill for.

His TS% has risen every month as well. Do you think Washington should/could unload him on a contender?

DaBUU
02-02-2013, 02:51 PM
:(

Noah won't make it through this season without a competent back up...

Don't think he will either :(

rockbottom2010
02-02-2013, 02:53 PM
hes been doing this on a consistent basis...thats why hes top 5 in rebounding

sep11ie
02-02-2013, 03:03 PM
really Chronz?? really

Yea, can you believe someone made a non-Laker thread?

TO Rapz
02-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Is he finally starting to come on? Ever since that LA series I was wondering if he would become a regular rotation caliber player but his stats were hideous to start the year.

He's really slow and lethargic, but that's expected from 7 feet 275 pounds.

His last 3 games:

31 mins vs LAL, 22 points, 10 rebounds (6 offensive, 4 defensive)
34 mins vs ATL, 8 points, 11 rebounds (4 offensive, 7 defensive)
25 mins vs LAC, 7 points, 12 rebounds (4 offensive, 8 defensive)

Again, he obviously doesn't have Asik numbers, however he makes approximately 1/4th of what Asik does.
Gray has gotten extensive PT in the last 3 games. I think it could be a case of BC building trade value, and by no means is Gray explosive (you can't expect that anyways), but the guy has been a rock for us at the starting 5.

Hawkeye15
02-02-2013, 03:56 PM
But I thought rebounding, individually, was overrated?

I said before the season he was a MIP candidate.

Chronz
02-02-2013, 04:04 PM
lol so overrated = irrelevant in your book?

First it was the retaliation doesnt = malicious, now this?
Man you and I use the English language in different ways. The term Overrated is based on perspective

NoahH
02-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Aaron Gray is ****

John Walls Era
02-02-2013, 05:34 PM
I thought he was overpaid, BUT I never doubt Morey.

Hawkeye15
02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
lol so overrated = irrelevant in your book?

First it was the retaliation doesnt = malicious, now this?
Man you and I use the English language in different ways. The term Overrated is based on perspective

Can't take a little poke dude?

I will say this, anytime Love is talked about, and his rebounding comes up, it gets called overrated by a lot of people, including you at times, and you just made a thread about an individuals rebounding rate. Why can't I take a little poke? I mean nothing by it.

I don't care to dig up my old post, preseason, but yeah, I said he was my candidate for MIP, due to his blocks/rebounds/defense.

Chronz
02-02-2013, 07:34 PM
I was thinking of editing that but **** it. Yea I overreacted.

KnicksorBust
02-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Give the Rockets a legit two-way PF like LMA and they can win the chip. They have all my favorite players.

Ezio
02-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Asik overpaid? Isn't he making the same as Brown?

bklynny67
02-02-2013, 07:55 PM
3 game sample size? Big deal.

Tyson Chandler is averaging 20 rebounds in 34 mins in his last 1 game. That's an insane rebound rate too.

ManRam
02-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Thread-jacking.

Nikola Vucevic hasn't had less than 9 boards in a game since 12/12, a span of 25 games.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-02-2013, 08:08 PM
I knew this guy was going to be solid. His situation reminded me like that of Gortat's. A guy who played backup when he was a legit defensive big man.

Blitzbolt
02-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Thread-jacking.

Nikola Vucevic hasn't had less than 9 boards in a game since 12/12, a span of 25 games.ZBO is not even a C and he has done that for about 4 straight years so I win YAY.

ManRam
02-02-2013, 08:15 PM
ZBO is not even a C and he has done that for about 4 straight years so I win YAY.

He hasn't had 9+ in 6 of his last 16. So, no!

Blitzbolt
02-02-2013, 08:19 PM
He hasn't had 9+ in 6 of his last 16. So, no!So that's 10 out of 16 yea huge drop off.

Gators123
02-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Yeah well Drummond had an 18 rebound game in 28 minutes on Tuesday and a 14 rebound game in 24 minutes the next day! ;)

Ill21
02-02-2013, 08:27 PM
It's 3 games

JerseyPalahniuk
02-02-2013, 08:36 PM
So? I may be highlighting 3 games but its about his entire season. Hes getting better with every game and hes actually better offensively than I thought he would be.
Still feel free to name the last time someone had a rebound rate this high in 3 games. Unless you would rather see more threads about LAL/MIA, what exactly is wrong with bringing attention to players around the league?

Using you're 3 game sample size rule:

Reggie Evans in 29 MPG averaged 16.7 RPG in 3 games from 1/5 to 1/11.

Reggie Evans in 21 MPG averaged 13.3 RPG in 3 games from 11/23 to 11/26

PatsSoxKnicks
02-02-2013, 08:49 PM
I remember in the NBA re-draft when we had him and I had to correct all these schmoes who thought his advanced stats/per minute stats were misleading and I had to keep repeating numerous studies that show per minute stats as an indicator of future performance.

Well all those schmoes in the NBA re-draft should now come in here and admit they were wrong and I was right.

PatsSoxKnicks
02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Yeah well Drummond had an 18 rebound game in 28 minutes on Tuesday and a 14 rebound game in 24 minutes the next day! ;)

Drummond is legit. He's got excellent per minute stats for a rookie, some of the best all-time. Don't know why Frank doesn't give him more minutes. I've heard his logic, its still faulty.

His per minute stats are actually pretty similar to what Dwight did in his rookie season. Will he be the next Dwight? It's not likely but time will tell. Dwight didn't exactly come into the league that polished either, he developed his post game. Same could be true for Drummond

It's 3 games

Fine, look at Asik's whole season- he's averaging a double double on the year

PatsSoxKnicks
02-02-2013, 09:02 PM
But I thought rebounding, individually, was overrated?

I said before the season he was a MIP candidate.

The irony is that his advanced numbers for the season haven't really improved all that much. He's scoring better but a lot of his other metrics aren't that different from his first 2 seasons. The main difference is that he's getting way more minutes.

In the strict sense of the award, I'm not sure that he's MIP because he's just seeing an uptick in his minutes that explains his better per game averages.

BigEasy1323
02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Rodman and a few others did it for a full season...

BigEasy1323
02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
But I do love Asik

Hawkeye15
02-02-2013, 09:22 PM
The irony is that his advanced numbers for the season haven't really improved all that much. He's scoring better but a lot of his other metrics aren't that different from his first 2 seasons. The main difference is that he's getting way more minutes.

In the strict sense of the award, I'm not sure that he's MIP because he's just seeing an uptick in his minutes that explains his better per game averages.

Yep, its the minutes spike, no doubt. But the people who vote for that award aren't exactly putting in overtime to get to the point. They just go, "look, he is averaging a **** ton more now, he wins". Asik fits that

Chronz
02-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Thread-jacking.

Nikola Vucevic hasn't had less than 9 boards in a game since 12/12, a span of 25 games.

Yea I was looking up the highest rebounding games and I kept seeing his name. I think his stats are higher too.

But Asik is anchoring the team defensively while still tracking down these boards.

Chronz
02-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Using you're 3 game sample size rule:

Reggie Evans in 29 MPG averaged 16.7 RPG in 3 games from 1/5 to 1/11.

Reggie Evans in 21 MPG averaged 13.3 RPG in 3 games from 11/23 to 11/26

DAMN. And the nets play at a snails pace usually, Ill check out the rebound% later.

Chronz
02-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I remember in the NBA re-draft when we had him and I had to correct all these schmoes who thought his advanced stats/per minute stats were misleading and I had to keep repeating numerous studies that show per minute stats as an indicator of future performance.

Well all those schmoes in the NBA re-draft should now come in here and admit they were wrong and I was right.
Only 1 person had manned up to dismissing him. I finally found those studies BTW, how did you get a hold of them, I thought they were lost forever until a webarchive link came up today.

flclfanman
02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Baby come back (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o) :(

You can blame it all on Jerry

There was something, in every board you grabbed

Baby come back :(

We could really use your speed

We we were wrong and Noah can't live without you :cry:

Chronz
02-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Bulls had no choice guys, let that go

quade36
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
If Bulls would have matched that contract, Asik would have gotten 15 mil in year 3 of his contract. They'd have him and Noah both getting over 10, not to mention Rose. Financially, they'd have to get rid of a lot of people to keep Asik and though I liked Asik and think he is a good starter, given the choice from an all around perspective you'd have to take Noah.

heyman321
02-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Baby come back (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o) :(

You can blame it all on Jerry

There was something, in every board you grabbed

Baby come back :(

We could really use your speed

We we were wrong and Noah can't live without you :cry:

I love that song

LASportsFan1996
02-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Thread-jacking.

:clap::clap::clap: #USCToTheNBA Recognize my man Nik

PatsSoxKnicks
02-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Only 1 person had manned up to dismissing him. I finally found those studies BTW, how did you get a hold of them, I thought they were lost forever until a webarchive link came up today.

I never really got a hold of them, just cited many of them without the links. I remember I spent a long time looking for those studies online but didn't really find anything. I believe one of Hollinger's old Pro Basketball Prospectus/Forecast books probably has one of those studies. I think I have all of his old books but haven't looked through them to see which one of them has the per minute study.

Oh and which other studies did you find? Only one I found was this one:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071122115204/http://ballhype.com/story/the_paul_millsap_doctrine/

Was posted in one of the Basketball Prospectus' articles. But thats the only one I can find.

bklynny67
02-03-2013, 03:07 AM
3 game sample size? Big deal.

Tyson Chandler is averaging 20 rebounds in 34 mins in his last 1 game. That's an insane rebound rate too.

And now Tyson Chandler is averaging 20 rebounds per game in his last 2 games. So what's the point of this thread?

3ballbomber
02-03-2013, 04:04 AM
bulls should have gotten rid of Boozer and kept asik

AlexanderPearce
02-03-2013, 04:08 AM
And now Tyson Chandler is averaging 20 rebounds per game in his last 2 games. So what's the point of this thread?

I think the point is he has done better than what most people thought with his change from back up to starter as well as a change of city and teammates. He's done a pretty solid job for Houston.

If the Rockets can grab a solid PF who can step in and create a low post game and help their DEF woes they will be just fine. The best thing they could do is make small moves for draft picks or roll players by the trade deadline and wait for free agency for the PF. Douglas, Aldrich, and Morris pretty much for anything would be an improvement.

Chronz
02-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Is it really that hard to figure out?