PDA

View Full Version : Why won't LeBron do the dunk contest?

djohn2oo8
02-01-2013, 03:17 PM
He did the tv special, why not the dunk contest?

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 03:18 PM
TV special raised nearly $4,000,000 for his charity of choice. Why you hating on this man when he is supporting the youth by risking his reputation? Dunk contest is garbage money for LeBron. He said he will do it for $1,000,000. Maybe we can get an all star dunk show instead of no name acts.

LAKobeBryant
02-01-2013, 03:23 PM
he's stupid to not do it for free. to get fans back from what he did on national television on "the decision"

justinnum1
02-01-2013, 03:27 PM
If someone isn't a fan because he won't do the dunk contest, that's pathetic lol

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 03:28 PM
he's stupid to not do it for free. to get fans back from what he did on national television on "the decision"

To get fans back? He has one of the biggest fan base in the NBA. Only Kobe riders hate on him, and Cleveland.

hidalgo
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM
i'm still a fan even if he refuses, but it's lame that he never got in the dunk contest. i think it's because he doesn't wanna risk losing, cause people give him such a hard time about everything. it's really lame asking for a million bucks to do it. kinda insults all the other great dunkers before him in a way (like he's worth a million to do it, & those suckers did it free)

DAL*CWB
02-01-2013, 03:49 PM
I think he's afraid of not being able to live up to the hype. People will be expecting a show and he's afraid he can't give it. Kinda of like Shannon Brown a couple years back.

rocket
02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
TV special raised nearly $4,000,000 for his charity of choice. Why you hating on this man when he is supporting the youth by risking his reputation? Dunk contest is garbage money for LeBron. He said he will do it for $1,000,000. Maybe we can get an all star dunk show instead of no name acts.

How does supporting the youth risk his reputation? And if he was so noble why wouldn't he do the Dunk Contest and donate the money if he won.

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
How does supporting the youth risk his reputation? And if he was so noble why wouldn't he do the Dunk Contest and donate the money if he won.

He risked his reputation because now everyone thinks he did it to embarrass Cleveland. Holy hell, how dumb can you get. Just stop posting. Because the dunk contest is just $50,000. Just because he's generous, doesn't mean he has to clean toilets and such to help.

ManRam
02-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I wish he'd do it, but it's his choice. He has no obligation. :shrug:

It's not fear; I don't he cares if he were to win or lose...it's a silly exhibition event. I've never heard of anyone getting criticized for losing a dunk contest/3 point contest.

Whatever. It shouldn't be as big of a deal as it is.

tapajafri
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Because the dunk contest is played out. It's boring now anyways....all they do is use stupid props.

Why would Lebron risk an injury just to participate in some boring dunk contest? That's why most of the participants are bench players....or certainly not star players at least.

Back when stars like bryant, jordan, vince carter, steve francis, etc did it, stuff still hadn't been invented yet. The dunk contest was actually still relevant and entertaining....so don't respond by saying "but kobe did it ten years ago"

Stinkyoutsider
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Maybe it's because he's not as creative a dunker as the other guys who would be in the contest? Who would want to compete in a contest knowing they'd lose going in?

Won't gain much either if he does?

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Because the dunk contest is played out. It's boring now anyways....all they do is use stupid props.

Why would Lebron risk an injury just to participate in some boring dunk contest? That's why most of the participants are bench players....or certainly not star players at least.

Back when stars like bryant, jordan, vince carter, steve francis, etc did it, stuff still hadn't been invented yet. The dunk contest was actually still relevant and entertaining....so don't respond by saying "but kobe did it ten years ago"

They are only saying Kobe did it ten years ago because they don't realize Kobe was still a noobie back then who was making a name for himself.. Poor fans, they are so closed minded to realize the facts and interpret them into a situation.

LAKobeBryant
02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
To get fans back? He has one of the biggest fan base in the NBA. Only Kobe riders hate on him, and Cleveland.

He's still the most hated player in the NBA. Who else is hated more tell me

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 04:26 PM

Him being one of the most hated player won't change because there are always going to be haters. People will hate on him for any little thing. Look at Reggie.. Hating on him because it was a lockout season? I mean c'mon. Same with Kobe, he has a huge load of haters but one of the biggest fanbase.

Money_23
02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
he'd rather win MVP and FMVP this year. :)

JLynn943
02-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Kris Humphries according to Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2011/12/21/the-nbas-most-disliked-players/

Of course, the article is a bit over a year old and was closer to both The Decision and the Humphries/Kardashian divorce, so it could be different now. Kobe (3rd most hated according to Forbes) may very well have surpassed them considering the hate for Lebron has died down with the championship and there's no reason to care about Humphries.

LAKobeBryant
02-01-2013, 05:02 PM
^ that's last year. I don't think anyone remembers kris is alive

Tony_Starks
02-01-2013, 05:07 PM
To do it now would be pretty lame. Most of the great dunkers did it when they were still coming up in the league. It he was going to do it, it should've been years ago particularly when he "tentatively" said he was going to do it and then flaked but that ship has sailed

natelpete
02-01-2013, 05:27 PM
It would be fun to watch but who really cares?

mvb815
02-01-2013, 05:56 PM

this post is a joke, he is a class act. who in the NBA isn't friends with lebron? besides overactive competitors like KG and kobe

he never is the first to talk trash, only to defend his team or himself, and frequently shows compation to other players, like his tweet to rondo.

anybody who hates lebron who isn't a hardcore cavs fan is a HATER

i honestly think lebron is more liked in the league than kobe, basing that off the same facts you're basing your assumption off of

tnewkirk
02-01-2013, 06:07 PM
cause he wont win it and he knows that.

RiceOnTheRun
02-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Is it REALLY going to be worth an injury? Plus his dunks aren't flashy, they're usually just overpowering slams that look like they could kill a man. He has hops, speed and the power but if you wanna see a real dunk contest, look no further than James White.

rockbottom2010
02-02-2013, 07:15 AM
injuries, thats the issue
look at vc, t-mac, steve francis, desmond mason, amare stoudemire, etc

hidalgo
02-02-2013, 07:57 AM

Back when stars like bryant, jordan, vince carter, steve francis, etc did it, stuff still hadn't been invented yet. The dunk contest was actually still relevant and entertaining....so don't respond by saying "but kobe did it ten years ago"Kobe did it 16 years ago

hidalgo
02-02-2013, 07:59 AM
i think LeBron could win it, with a free throw line dunk. but he refuses so oh well. lame as hell

James White is the guy i wanna see. see if he still has it

ldawg
02-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Because he is like Shannon Brown. Very athletic and trow down some powerful dunks and can climb the tallest guy but lack style and flair. Their dunks are all the same. He know he wont be creative enough.

Daze9900
02-02-2013, 10:45 AM
There's no point in risking his health for a dunk contest because the fans want to see him do it. Albeit no one has ever been seriously injured in a dunk contest before, it still is possible. *See Tony Allen rupturing his ACL dunking the ball after the whistle. It's not beneficial to him to do it. Some players enter the league setting personal goals aspiring to win certain trophies and that's why they enter the contest. Other players in the past have entered the contest as a way to elevate themselves in the NBA as a household name. In this day an age where everything is immediately posted on the internet and social media people are quick to criticize someone instead of just watching the contest as just pure entertainment. There is no incentive for Le'bron to do the contest. He's a max player with a championship. If he wants to then so be it, if he doesn't just enjoy who is in it.

xxplayerxx23
02-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Why should he?

xxplayerxx23
02-02-2013, 11:02 AM
He would win its a popularity contest with the fans

BULLSFAN0810
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM
If someone isn't a fan because he won't do the dunk contest, that's pathetic lol

bro its a rite of passage...Dr.j ,Connie Hawkins, Larry Nance,Dominque, Jordan, Vince Carter ,Kobe, DHoward..i can go on. If you havent noticed all great dunkers did it . Im not saying he should but dont get mad when people say to he and his fans..YOUR NOT GREAT! All The Greats Somehow Participated in Either The Slam Dunk Contest OR The 3 Point Shootout IF THATS WHAT THEY DID AS A PLAYER. Its like some fans want the guy to be good,but dont want him to walk through the fire to get to heaven,to put it like Dan Gilbert did. Its like you guys want this guy to entertain you with a fear of knowing he is mentally frail so no one to disagrees with the guy or tell him the truth. I think James is too old now. I dont want to see him . Me myself i think he doesnt believe in himself like some of his fans do. I think he isnt creative enough. I think Vince Carter took the contest to outer space and James knows that and he feels like he has to do something better than everyone that has ever done it. To me this is another point to why i dont think the guy is as great as people think. He thinks people want him to jump over the moon and dunkwhen realistically all people want is the "best player " to dunk like as if he is in a layup line. Im not mad about it but i will not make excuses for the guy...for all his GREATNESS he sure doesnt do alot. ROSE 2014 takes over the NBA PART 2

BULLSFAN0810
02-02-2013, 11:28 AM
He should enter the skills challenge..but he wont he is too good an cant take losing like a GEE

Yanks All Day
02-02-2013, 11:28 AM
It's because he has nothing to gain by winning a dunk contest. There's no real competition dunking-wise from his #2 guy in the NBA (KD) and no other top players ever do it anymore. Would LeBron doing a contest be fun and maybe bring back some top players to join next year? Maybe. Does he have to do it just because we want him to? Absolutely not. Like I said, with no real competition in the game, he has absolutely nothing to gain.

If the NBA's top guys really wanna see LeBron dunk, then maybe Durant, Griffin, Howard, etc. should all join one year and pretty much force LeBron to do it. Otherwise, I don't want to see LeBron James steamroll no-name competition. He's the best basketball player on the planet who is the defending MVP and champion. I'm sure he's a little more focused on retaining both of those than beating a bunch of bench players in a dunk contest.

OceanSpray
02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
It's because he has nothing to gain by winning a dunk contest. There's no real competition dunking-wise from his #2 guy in the NBA (KD) and no other top players ever do it anymore. Would LeBron doing a contest be fun and maybe bring back some top players to join next year? Maybe. Does he have to do it just because we want him to? Absolutely not. Like I said, with no real competition in the game, he has absolutely nothing to gain.

If the NBA's top guys really wanna see LeBron dunk, then maybe Durant, Griffin, Howard, etc. should all join one year and pretty much force LeBron to do it. Otherwise, I don't want to see LeBron James steamroll no-name competition. He's the best basketball player on the planet who is the defending MVP and champion. I'm sure he's a little more focused on retaining both of those than beating a bunch of bench players in a dunk contest.

It's not even about steamrolling anyone. It's the fact that at this point of his career, he has bigger fishes to fry instead of spending his time thinking about a dunk contest.

Im_in_Mia_bish
02-02-2013, 01:42 PM
legs. dude is 28 lol, im happy he's not doing it.