PDA

View Full Version : All Star Votes: Tracy McGrady- 2,218,388 (CBA) Kobe Bryant - 1,591,437 (NBA)

Fresno
02-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Is there any question now that T-Mac is a bigger global sports superstar, even in a declined state, than Kobe Bryant is?

T-Mac just set a record in votes in the CBA.

http://voice.hupu.com/cba/1317393.html

Translation:

2013 all-star first CBA all-Star weekend players vote begin in Beijing on December 24, after more than a month of voting, today (February 1) announced the final results. Foreign aid t-Mac was King by 2,218,388 Qingdao team, Yi Jianlian (1,559,634 votes), Marbury (1,230,561) broken down two or three digits.

The population in China vs America is irrelevant considering more Americans have internet access than in China along with NBA basketball being more popular than the CBA currently.

I think in another 20 years the CBA is going to be a very viable marketing opportunity for NBA players, and if the league lifts the import limit of 2 players, a lot of players could make the jump for more money and exposure.

1-800-STFU
02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
I think that to do more about general population than popularity.......

Fresno
02-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I think that to do more about general population than popularity.......
But the NBA is far and away more popular in China than the CBA.

So the NBA does a marketing blitz where you can vote for All Stars from anywhere, online, your phone, etc and the leading vote-getter is Kobe at 1.5 Milion yet in China basically nearly everyone who voted chose T-Mac at 2.2 Million?

John Walls Era
02-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Players go where the money is. Wouldn't surpirse me if the CBA got big in 10 years when they can get unlimited budget from owners.

shep33
02-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Nah

Hellcrooner
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
China is bit by bit becoming the first economic power in the world.
as a matter of fact they have both USA en EUROPE external debts in their hands, so they have both grabbed by the balls.
So it wouldnt be much of a surprise if they ended up creating the best league.

shep33
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Population of China=1.354 billion or just around 20% of all human beings on Earth

There are over 1 billion more people in China than there are in the USA

1-800-STFU
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Americans have more internet access overall.

So the NBA does a marketing blitz where you can vote for All Stars from anywhere, online, your phone, etc and the leading vote-getter is Kobe at 1.5 Milion yet in China basically nearly everyone who voted chose T-Mac at 2.2 Million?

Evidence/link to back that up?

China has large internet cafes that are VERY popular. I think it's surely possible mainland urban China has more people than the US with access to these. Hence, higher votes.

You also have many people in the US voting for their hometown/fav player thats not Kobe. In China you have ONE recognizable star people will vote for.

This more has to do with demographics/population rather than popularity

Fresno
02-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Evidence/link to back that up?

China has large internet cafes that are VERY popular. I think it's surely possible mainland urban China has more people than the US with access to these. Hence, higher votes.

You also have many people in the US voting for their hometown/fav player thats not Kobe. In China you have ONE recognizable star people will vote for.

This more has to do with demographics/population rather than popularity

Actually you may be right.

What I was looking at said the average American has more internet accessibility than in China.

Didn't think of "internet cafe's" where dozens of people can go to get internet access for awhile and go back home/work/school. Have you ever seen one?

MeLaPelan!
02-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Population of China=1.354 billion or just around 20% of all human beings on Earth

this

5ass
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
speaking of china.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5WjrGApDCU&list=FLV_MLLkdThR-saqHp_IRXqw&index=2

justinnum1
02-01-2013, 02:56 PM
i think it also has to do with in the NBA, the superstars split the votes, in china there is really only one guy to vote for.

1-800-STFU
02-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Actually you may be right.

What I was looking at said the average American has more internet accessibility than in China.

Didn't think of "internet cafe's" where dozens of people can go to get internet access for awhile and go back home/work/school. Have you ever seen one?

I've been to one in the US when they popped up about 5-6 years ago.

In China though I've seen pics.....100's pileed into a relativity small area. You sometimes hear stories of people passing out and whatnot in them from playing too long. Since people in China cant really afford a computer capable of playing games most rely on these. Their extremely popular in South Korea too.

Heres a pic http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1600&bih=754&tbm=isch&tbnid=C5xVqcNt7zRzbM:&imgrefurl=http://emergingmoney.com/china/internet-driving-chinese-consumer-sector-growth/attachment/chinese-internet-users-in-internet-cafe/&docid=9brxTLKC00BkNM&imgurl=http://cdn.emergingmoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/chinese-internet-users-in-internet-cafe.jpg&w=1600&h=952&ei=RBEMUfONO4Tm9AT5sIGYAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=4&sig=103622279390904030273&page=1&tbnh=173&tbnw=291&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=183&ty=222

John Walls Era
02-01-2013, 03:05 PM
I've been to one in the US when they popped up about 5-6 years ago.

In China though I've seen pics.....100's pileed into a relativity small area. You sometimes hear stories of people passing out and whatnot in them from playing too long. Since people in China cant really afford a computer capable of playing games most rely on these. Their extremely popular in South Korea too.

Heres a pic http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1600&bih=754&tbm=isch&tbnid=C5xVqcNt7zRzbM:&imgrefurl=http://emergingmoney.com/china/internet-driving-chinese-consumer-sector-growth/attachment/chinese-internet-users-in-internet-cafe/&docid=9brxTLKC00BkNM&imgurl=http://cdn.emergingmoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/chinese-internet-users-in-internet-cafe.jpg&w=1600&h=952&ei=RBEMUfONO4Tm9AT5sIGYAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=4&sig=103622279390904030273&page=1&tbnh=173&tbnw=291&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=183&ty=222

I just googled it. Based on what you said, the rates are quite expensive (after currency conversion). However I'm assuming the computers are always updated which is amazing if you're into video games.

Ari Gold
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen.

So by your logic Yi Jianlin with 1,559,634 votes is a "bigger global superstar" than Kevin Durant who received only 1,504,047 votes? If Kobe was playing in China he would break T-Mac's "record" for most all-star votes.

Your statement asking if there is "any question" that T-Mac is a bigger superstar than Kobe can also apply to LeBron, Durant, Dwight, Melo, and Chris Paul right? Because he received more votes than them as well.

If you hate Kobe just come out and say it, stop with this ******** passive aggressive dumbass deductive logic. You're a moron.

SundaeBest
Is there any question now that T-Mac is a bigger global sports superstar, even in a declined state, than Kobe Bryant is?

Translation:

The population in China vs America is irrelevant considering more Americans have internet access than in China along with NBA basketball being more popular than the CBA currently.

I think in another 20 years the CBA is going to be a very viable marketing opportunity for NBA players, and if the league lifts the import limit of 2 players, a lot of players could make the jump for more money and exposure.

I'm pretty sure China has more online users than the American population as a whole...you should really check that stat

TheNumber37
IF Kobe played in China, he'd get over 3 mil, especially playing at the level he is today.
I'd love to see Kobe retire in Italy.

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 03:12 PM
OP is way out of his mind. China has the most internet users in the world. Their population is what makes up for it. The fact is they voted for McGrady because he's the biggest star they have in that league. Same reason why people voted for KG when he isn't good, because he's a star. I'm not sure what OP is talking about. Globally, Kobe is the most successful NBA star. I mean the facts prove it. LeBron may soon surpass Kobe in his future in terms of marketability, but Kobe is the top guy. He's had the best selling jerseys for a long time now in China. The NBA being more popular has nothing to do with it. There's a thing called censorship in China. Who knows what they censor these days? Fail thread by OP thinking he's smart.

MeLaPelan!
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen.

So by your logic Yi Jianlin with 1,559,634 votes is a "bigger global superstar" than Kevin Durant who received only 1,504,047 votes? If Kobe was playing in China he would break T-Mac's "record" for most all-star votes.

Your statement asking if there is "any question" that T-Mac is a bigger superstar than Kobe can also apply to LeBron, Durant, Dwight, Melo, and Chris Paul right? Because he received more votes than them as well.

If you hate Kobe just come out and say it, stop with this ******** passive aggressive dumbass deductive logic. You're a moron.

sounds like you just described a couple posters that go by the names of chronz and hawkeye with this quote

DreamShaker
02-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Doesn't hurt that he played with Yao on the Rockets. But if Starbury is the other guard option, I mean, c'mon.

jazzyjake
02-01-2013, 03:58 PM

Translation:

Kobe is the biggest superstar in the NBA especially outside of the USA. I'm from the UK and nobody knows Lebron, Chris Paul, Durant etc..only basketball fanatics.

Kobe is quiet popular though. Even during London 2012, the BBC (UK's main tv network) talked only about Kobe when the USA were coming out during the opening ceremony.
So if Lebron is so superior to Kobe, why isnt Lebron more popular?

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Kobe is the biggest superstar in the NBA especially outside of the USA. I'm from the UK and nobody knows Lebron, Chris Paul, Durant etc..only basketball fanatics.

Kobe is quiet popular though. Even during London 2012, the BBC (UK's main tv network) talked only about Kobe when the USA were coming out during the opening ceremony.
So if Lebron is so superior to Kobe, why isnt Lebron more popular?

Because he's been in the NBA longer? That doesn't mean Kobe is better than LeBron. I bet you people know about Kobe more than Jordan just based off the fact that Kobe has been playing longer during a time of huge media press.

Money_23
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
if Kobe plays in China the poll numbers would explode. prolly in the tens of millions.

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
if Kobe plays in China the poll numbers would explode. prolly in the tens of millions.

Kobe would never play in China. He's an *** who laughs at people who do.

Stinkyoutsider
02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
If Kobe was playing in China, he would get more votes than McGrady. Tracy is a big star but Kobe is a bigger star.

And really, imo people living in China don't care as much about the NBA as all of us think they do. Sure, they were into watching Yao when he was in the NBA. If we had access to watch McGrady in China, I would watch the CBA. Now that Yao isn't in the NBA, we can't assume they watch as much as we do. They probably watch their own league more than the NBA?

Money_23
02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Kobe would never play in China. He's an *** who laughs at people who do.

never said he personally would go there, just pointing out his popularity.

mvb815
02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
this thread is so stupid, in b4 lock

jazzyjake
02-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Because he's been in the NBA longer? That doesn't mean Kobe is better than LeBron. I bet you people know about Kobe more than Jordan just based off the fact that Kobe has been playing longer during a time of huge media press.

and that's not true, all my college friends have jordan shoes on and sometimes i see jordan jerseys at the local park or arena. jordan is far more popular than kobe.

d rose is more popular than lebron outside of the us and maybe in the us but is he a better player, no?. my whole point is the op is clearly trying to dig that kobe isnt as popular as most think.

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 04:41 PM
and that's not true, all my college friends have jordan shoes on and sometimes i see jordan jerseys at the local park or arena. jordan is far more popular than kobe.

d rose is more popular than lebron outside of the us and maybe in the us but is he a better player, no?. my whole point is the op is clearly trying to dig that kobe isnt as popular as most think.

The fact that you even assumed Rose is more poplar than LeBron concludes that you don't know much.

Once again, we're talking on a global scale. Jordan hasn't played for a long time. He retired before media became a huge sensation. Your college friends having Jordan's and his jerseys doesn't mean on a global scale he is bigger.. I have no idea what you're trying to prove.

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 04:42 PM

The fact that you even assumed Rose is more poplar than LeBron concludes that you don't know much.

Once again, we're talking on a global scale. Jordan hasn't played for a long time. He retired before media became a huge sensation. Your college friends having Jordan's and his jerseys doesn't mean on a global scale he is bigger.. I have no idea what you're trying to prove.

jazzyjake
02-01-2013, 04:53 PM

how. it is arguable.

what proves that lebron is more popular? d rose has more shirt sales than lebron outside the us and he has the best selling jersey last season and is top 5 this season even though he is injured?
apart from heat fans who likes lebron? many other fans are fans of d rose, durant etc...

sammyvine
02-01-2013, 04:56 PM

tbf it is arguable. Derrick Rose is more likeable i assume by rival fans and didn't he have the 2nd highest selling jersey behind Kobe outside the USA? He is sells more than Lebron i presume which is surprising considering his age and Lebron being the best player in the NBA.
Lebron doesn't have the same likeability after ''The Decision'' imo where he was loved by most of the NBA (maybe only disliked by Kobe fanboys).

LoveMeOrHateMe
02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Lol wow nobody is more well known all over the world then Kobe!! He is even bigger then Yao Ming in china

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
how. it is arguable.

what proves that lebron is more popular? d rose has more shirt sales than lebron outside the us and he has the best selling jersey last season and is top 5 this season even though he is injured?
apart from heat fans who likes lebron? many other fans are fans of d rose, durant etc...

Regarding endorsement, sales, and marketability, LeBron is ranked #1.

Just because Rose sold more jerseys doesn't mean he's more popular. On a global scale, Rose isn't even an established player. You must be kidding comparing Rose's popularity with LeBron. The reason why LeBron is always being criticized by the media is because he is a huge draw in terms of publicity.

sammyvine
02-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Regarding endorsement, sales, and marketability, LeBron is ranked #1.

Just because Rose sold more jerseys doesn't mean he's more popular. On a global scale, Rose isn't even an established player. You must be kidding comparing Rose's popularity with LeBron. The reason why LeBron is always being criticized by the media is because he is a huge draw in terms of publicity.

So how is popularity judged then?
By how much the media discusses and criticises you.
If DRose sells more jerseys than Lebron, doesn't that mean he is more popular than him?

THE MTL
02-01-2013, 06:27 PM

Translation:

How is the population irrevelant. Use common sense here. China has 1.3 billion people.

Venomous88
02-01-2013, 11:07 PM
If you are going to propose something like this, make sure you do more research. A easy observation that no one brought up yet is that fan voting has trended downward over the past years. In the mid 2000s, there were about 3 to 4 all stars who would receive over 2 million votes.

ThaDubs
02-01-2013, 11:15 PM

LeBron is more well known, but D. Rose is liked more. That's why Rose sells more jerseys and shirts, because he's more likable. LeBron is less popular than Rose because he's hated by a lot of people. I think he's an OK guy but for instance Derrick Rose will never and has never whined about the amount of money he's making. He might be more well known, but Rose is humble and in my opinion more fun to watch.

OceanSpray
02-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Going by your terms of popularity, Rose was more popular than Kobe. We all know that's a lie. Also, LeBron has the best selling jersey currently. Sales of jerseys has nothing to do with popularity as it changes every year based on the switching of teams, etc. When LeBron left Cleveland to join Miami, everyone hated him. Why did he still have the top selling jersey? Kobe and James are the two biggest names of current basketball players. To argue anyone else is a lie. There's a reason why they have the biggest endorsement deals in NBA.

ThaDubs
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Going by your terms of popularity, Rose was more popular than Kobe. We all know that's a lie. Also, LeBron has the best selling jersey currently. Sales of jerseys has nothing to do with popularity as it changes every year based on the switching of teams, etc. When LeBron left Cleveland to join Miami, everyone hated him. Why did he still have the top selling jersey? Kobe and James are the two biggest names of current basketball players. To argue anyone else is a lie. There's a reason why they have the biggest endorsement deals in NBA.

Popularity: The state or condition of being liked, admired, or supported by many people.

Derrick's like to dislike ratio is definitely better than LeBron's. If you're talking about the people who get the most recognition and mention, it's probably Kobe and LeBron. When Derrick tore his ACL, the whole world was shocked and sad. If Kobe or LeBron (primarily Kobe in this situation) tore their ACL's, a lot of people wouldn't care and some might even be happy. If you ask people who know Derrick Rose if they like him, almost all of them will say yes. If you ask people who know LeBron or Kobe if they like them, most will say no. By my standards, Derrick is the more popular of the 3.

lakersiznumber1
02-01-2013, 11:55 PM

Translation:

:facepalm: your not even making since kobe got higher votes than players like lebron durant paul who the hell did t mac bet out marbury lol r u serious:drunk:
if kobe was in china he would have 5,218,388 come on iknow ur a kobe hater but come on now

Raps18-19 Champ
02-02-2013, 12:00 AM

So?

There's many people who vote for the NBA all star game outside the US.

over 99% of the votes in the CBA are probably from China alone.

koreancabbage
02-02-2013, 12:06 AM

i can bet you that is still a smaller % in terms of votes per population. =P

OceanSpray
02-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Popularity: The state or condition of being liked, admired, or supported by many people.

Derrick's like to dislike ratio is definitely better than LeBron's. If you're talking about the people who get the most recognition and mention, it's probably Kobe and LeBron. When Derrick tore his ACL, the whole world was shocked and sad. If Kobe or LeBron (primarily Kobe in this situation) tore their ACL's, a lot of people wouldn't care and some might even be happy. If you ask people who know Derrick Rose if they like him, almost all of them will say yes. If you ask people who know LeBron or Kobe if they like them, most will say no. By my standards, Derrick is the more popular of the 3.

You make no sense, stop contradicting your own words. You said Rose sells more jerseys and etc but you forget that LeBron sold the most jerseys in 2010, the year he left Cleveland for Miami. Fans hated him and he was disliked. Arguably the most scrutinized and hated man at that time. Yet he had the best selling jersey. Why?

Also, LeBron is more liked than Rose based on the fact that the majority of China, which has the largest fans of NBA, all adore LeBron and Kobe. I've been to China twice these past five years and Rose was never that player they talked about.

LeBron also has the best selling jersey this year.

I'm not understanding what you're talking about. There are many people who hate LeBron but his amount of fans and things he has done for charities has certainly made him the most popular today.

Chronz
02-02-2013, 01:20 AM
If DRose sells more jerseys than Lebron, doesn't that mean he is more popular than him?
Well if you already have a Bron jersey, why would you buy another? Its not a bad measure but alot of it has to do with timing.

Like when Kobe changed his number, his already strong jersey sales shot up. It wasn't because he got more popular, it was because his fans had to buy the NEW jersey.

But maybe thats not a good comparison considering Rose has had the same jersey for longer than Bron has donned his current one. Do you know what the jersey sales look like on an annual basis?

ThaDubs
02-02-2013, 02:07 AM
You make no sense, stop contradicting your own words. You said Rose sells more jerseys and etc but you forget that LeBron sold the most jerseys in 2010, the year he left Cleveland for Miami. Fans hated him and he was disliked. Arguably the most scrutinized and hated man at that time. Yet he had the best selling jersey. Why?

Also, LeBron is more liked than Rose based on the fact that the majority of China, which has the largest fans of NBA, all adore LeBron and Kobe. I've been to China twice these past five years and Rose was never that player they talked about.

LeBron also has the best selling jersey this year.

I'm not understanding what you're talking about. There are many people who hate LeBron but his amount of fans and things he has done for charities has certainly made him the most popular today.

Contradict myself? How in the world did I contract myself when you're going on about jersey sales when you recently stated their alleged irrelevance. I'm saying it's how you look at it. If you consider someone who everybody knows, but many hate, popular, LeBron and Kobe take the cake. If you consider someone who is liked by many and hated by almost none, D Rose and KD take the cake.

He had the best selling jersey because more people like him that people like D Rose. Yes. But my point was that Rose receives so much less hate than LeBron when you consider how many people know of LeBron compared to D Rose.

ThaDubs
02-02-2013, 02:43 AM
It's true most of us Canadians are trying to build a giant electric fence along the border to keep the Americans from coming here and ruining our economy like they did theirs.

It's not all our faults. Blame the big people.

VinceCarter
02-02-2013, 03:30 AM
This sounds like a legit comparison. China has like 4 TIMES as many people as the US.

TrueFan420
02-02-2013, 04:33 AM
China is bit by bit becoming the first economic power in the world.
as a matter of fact they have both USA en EUROPE external debts in their hands, so they have both grabbed by the balls.
So it wouldnt be much of a surprise if they ended up creating the best league.
Agree with the first part. The one problem I see with them creating best league is convinving the top players into moving there. Yes money will go along way but it isn't everything. And many might not be willing to up root their families or live that far from them.

metsbulls1025
02-02-2013, 04:52 AM
It's not all our faults. Blame the big people.

So now we are blaming Dwight Howard for the economy to?

2-ONE-5
02-02-2013, 09:40 AM
so T-Mac getting votes in China where he (sadly) the best player in the league in a ginormous country means he is more popular than Kobe? close this thread

BALLER R
02-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Why are you making this about Kobe. If your stating that about T-mac shouldn't it be, T-Mac the biggest global basketball superstar. His votes are more than anyone in the NBA. But still your looking at it all wrong. You can't even compare the 2.

R. Johnson#3
02-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Translation:

Uhhhh it's completely relevant. China's population decimates USA's.

Minimal
02-02-2013, 12:03 PM

Translation:

You do know that population of China is 1,353,821,000 while USA population is 315,255,000?

whitemamba33
02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
The fact that Yi Jianlian has almost as many votes as Kobe should be enough of a reason to lock this thread and ban the thread starter from ever creating another thread.

My favorite line was "The population in China vs America is irrrelevant..." lol

And of course this becomes a Kobe vs LeBron thread. Some people in here really need to find a hobby.

OceanSpray
02-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Contradict myself? How in the world did I contract myself when you're going on about jersey sales when you recently stated their alleged irrelevance. I'm saying it's how you look at it. If you consider someone who everybody knows, but many hate, popular, LeBron and Kobe take the cake. If you consider someone who is liked by many and hated by almost none, D Rose and KD take the cake.

He had the best selling jersey because more people like him that people like D Rose. Yes. But my point was that Rose receives so much less hate than LeBron when you consider how many people know of LeBron compared to D Rose.

Does anyone find how ironic this statement is? Why did you say "Rose had more jersey sales" because he's more liked but then when I told you LeBron sold the most jerseys, you create a random paragraph that makes absolutely no sense because you have nothing else to post?

I said jersey sales has nothing to do with popularity because that changes every year. Popularity doesn't just mean well liked, it also means respected. Go to China, you'll find out Rose is barely mentioned. I never went on about the liked by many or hated by many thing, Kobe is hated by many but still the most popular NBA player. Him and LeBron have the biggest endorsement deals. Why? Because they are the most popular stars.

LakersIn5
02-02-2013, 03:25 PM
lol who the **** does tmac compete for the votes with? and how about kobe? huh!

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
i think it also has to do with in the NBA, the superstars split the votes, in china there is really only one guy to vote for.

This. Tmac is in no way a bigger global icon than Kobe or bron.