PDA

View Full Version : Suns Pursuing Josh Smith

Giannis94
01-31-2013, 06:31 PM
The Suns are interested in Hawks PF, Josh Smith.
Link (http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-phoenix-suns-pursuing-josh-smith/)

It’s no secret that the Phoenix Suns are trying to acquire a star player. Last offseason, the Suns signed Eric Gordon to a maximum offer sheet, but the New Orleans Hornets matched the contract. In recent weeks, Phoenix tried to acquire Rudy Gay, but the Memphis Grizzlies decided to send him to the Toronto Raptors instead.
Now, after missing out on Gordon and Gay, the Suns have shifted their attention to a new star that may be available prior to the Feb. 21 trade deadline.
The Suns are pursuing Josh Smith, according to multiple league sources. Phoenix will try to acquire Smith before the deadline or, if that fails, through a sign-and-trade deal next offseason.
The Suns are very interested in Smith and have had exploratory talks with the Atlanta Hawks about the 27-year-old forward. Phoenix views Smith as a franchise player who can be one of the cornerstones of the team for years to come. The Suns have been searching for a face of the franchise since Steve Nash’s departure last summer, and Smith could be exactly that. If the Hawks decide it’s time to part ways with Smith, the Suns will be one of the teams on the phone.
Phoenix has attractive assets, particularly Marcin Gortat, who could play alongside Al Horford and give the Hawks one of the best frontcourts in the Eastern Conference. They also have Jared Dudley and Michael Beasley as well as the expiring contracts of Wes Johnson, Shannon Brown (whose 2013-14 salary is non-guaranteed), Sebastian Telfair and Jermaine O’Neal. Phoenix also has several first-round picks – their own pick and two additional first-round picks that they acquired in the Nash trade with the Los Angeles Lakers and the Johnson trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Luis Scola could also be involved in the trade, but only if the deal is a sign-and-trade since he can’t be traded until July 1 due to the fact that he was signed by the Suns after being amnestied by the Houston Rockets.
Smith and his agent, Wallace Prather, are expected to meet with the Hawks at some point this week to discuss the forward’s future in Atlanta. The two sides met after Smith’s one-game suspension for “conduct detrimental to the team,” but Smith’s camp didn’t demand a trade. It’s unclear if Smith and Prather will ask for a trade during this next meeting, although many people in NBA circles believe that Smith’s days in Atlanta could be numbered. In recent weeks, more teams have been calling the Hawks and inquiring about Smith, especially since his public comments about being “a max contract player.”
While the Suns will express interest in Smith, they aren’t the only team that will make a run at the star forward. The Houston Rockets, Charlotte Bobcats and Dallas Mavericks have also been mentioned as potential suitors for Smith.
If the Suns trade for Smith and re-sign him over the summer, they could have as much as $20 million in cap space still left over, assuming all of their current options are declined and next year’s cap sits at $59 million as projected. That means they can add Smith and still have money to sign a second big-name free agent such as Dwight Howard or more realistic options like Monta Ellis, Andre Iguodala or Paul Millsap.
The Suns have been actively trying to acquire a star player for the last six months, and they’ll continue to swing for the fences in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline. If the Hawks decide to move Smith and get something in return for him rather than letting him walk as an unrestricted free agent over the summer, don’t be surprised if the Suns are one of the teams trying to acquire him.

jsthornton7
01-31-2013, 06:31 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-phoenix-suns-pursuing-josh-smith/

It’s no secret that the Phoenix Suns are trying to acquire a star player. Last offseason, the Suns signed Eric Gordon to a maximum offer sheet, but the New Orleans Hornets matched the contract. In recent weeks, Phoenix tried to acquire Rudy Gay, but the Memphis Grizzlies decided to send him to the Toronto Raptors instead.
Now, after missing out on Gordon and Gay, the Suns have shifted their attention to a new star that may be available prior to the Feb. 21 trade deadline.
The Suns are pursuing Josh Smith, according to multiple league sources. Phoenix will try to acquire Smith before the deadline or, if that fails, through a sign-and-trade deal next offseason.
The Suns are very interested in Smith and have had exploratory talks with the Atlanta Hawks about the 27-year-old forward. Phoenix views Smith as a franchise player who can be one of the cornerstones of the team for years to come. The Suns have been searching for a face of the franchise since Steve Nash’s departure last summer, and Smith could be exactly that. If the Hawks decide it’s time to part ways with Smith, the Suns will be one of the teams on the phone.
Phoenix has attractive assets, particularly Marcin Gortat, who could play alongside Al Horford and give the Hawks one of the best frontcourts in the Eastern Conference. They also have Jared Dudley and Michael Beasley as well as the expiring contracts of Wes Johnson, Shannon Brown (whose 2013-14 salary is non-guaranteed), Sebastian Telfair and Jermaine O’Neal. Phoenix also has several first-round picks – their own pick and two additional first-round picks that they acquired in the Nash trade with the Los Angeles Lakers and the Johnson trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Luis Scola could also be involved in the trade, but only if the deal is a sign-and-trade since he can’t be traded until July 1 due to the fact that he was signed by the Suns after being amnestied by the Houston Rockets.
Smith and his agent, Wallace Prather, are expected to meet with the Hawks at some point this week to discuss the forward’s future in Atlanta. The two sides met after Smith’s one-game suspension for “conduct detrimental to the team,” but Smith’s camp didn’t demand a trade. It’s unclear if Smith and Prather will ask for a trade during this next meeting, although many people in NBA circles believe that Smith’s days in Atlanta could be numbered. In recent weeks, more teams have been calling the Hawks and inquiring about Smith, especially since his public comments about being “a max contract player.”
While the Suns will express interest in Smith, they aren’t the only team that will make a run at the star forward. The Houston Rockets, Charlotte Bobcats and Dallas Mavericks have also been mentioned as potential suitors for Smith.
If the Suns trade for Smith and re-sign him over the summer, they could have as much as $20 million in cap space still left over, assuming all of their current options are declined and next year’s cap sits at $59 million as projected. That means they can add Smith and still have money to sign a second big-name free agent such as Dwight Howard or more realistic options like Monta Ellis, Andre Iguodala or Paul Millsap.
The Suns have been actively trying to acquire a star player for the last six months, and they’ll continue to swing for the fences in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline. If the Hawks decide to move Smith and get something in return for him rather than letting him walk as an unrestricted free agent over the summer, don’t be surprised if the Suns are one of the teams trying to acquire him.

Wow, they will still have 20m in cap room.

Could make a serious run at D12 in the offseason.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Gortat and Beasley for Smith maybe. :shrug:

jsthornton7
01-31-2013, 06:34 PM
If the Suns get J. Smith, as a Laker fan I am seriously worried about retaining D. Howard

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Smith isn't worth the max. Suns would have to make sure he resigned.

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
If the Suns get J. Smith, as a Laker fan I am seriously worried about retaining D. Howard

You should be seriously worried now

sunsfan88
01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Ugh please god no! I do not want Josh Smith paired with Dwight on this team.

2 cry babies on one team? That spells disaster! And if we overpay for Josh Smith, I'm done with this team.

Quinnsanity
01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Phoenix makes sense for D12. They're probably the only team that can fix his back. I wonder how the cap figures work. Could they trade for Smith and realistically sign Dwight?

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
I can feel this. Dwight and Jsmoove.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Won't the Hawks have enough cap for 2 max contracts this year?

Maybe they get Howard in the offseason to pair with his best friend in Smith. Then trade Horford for a SG like Eric Gordon.

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Just dont trade our pick Lance and Lon

Baller1
01-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Ugh please god no! I do not want Josh Smith paired with Dwight on this team.

2 cry babies on one team? That spells disaster! And if we overpay for Josh Smith, I'm done with this team.

You'd rather have a bottom feeder?

Dwight and Smith would be nasty down low.

Corey
01-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Won't the Hawks have enough cap for 2 max contracts this year?

Maybe they get Howard in the offseason to pair with his best friend in Smith. Then trade Horford for a SG like Eric Gordon.

I dont think they have any interest in shopping Horford. They believe he is a cornerstone.

sunsfan88
01-31-2013, 06:49 PM

No I would rather us get Shabazz and maybe Noel and build around that. And plus Beasley is starting to look promising right now too.

Also it would mean that we still have a lot of cap space.

*Silver&Black*
Gortat and Beasley for Smith maybe. :shrug:

No please. Draft picks and cap space. Unless Suns have a young center........................nope they don't.

69centers
I don't see Smith wanting to sign with Phoenix. He'd be taking a step backward, as his Atlanta teams had better playoff runs than the Suns will have for years to come.

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2013, 06:52 PM
I don't see Smith wanting to sign with Phoenix. He'd be taking a step backward, as his Atlanta teams had better playoff runs than the Suns will have for years to come.

He will sign where he gets the most money, i hope we dont overpay him. He is overrated.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 06:52 PM
No thanks. Another stupid pursuit by our FO.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 06:53 PM
No thanks. Another stupid pursuit by our FO.

Even if it gets you Dwight Howard?

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 06:54 PM

Hell yes! It was time to rebuild 2.5 years ago. trading for Smith isn't going to make us a contender, it'll just prevent us from having decent draft picks yet again by being a perennial ‘middle of the pack’ team.

jsthornton7
01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
How are the income tax laws in Arizona?

*Silver&Black*
Why would it get the Suns Howard if he didn't want to come back home and play with Smith in Atlanta? Why would Phoenix have a better chance PSD posters?

*Silver&Black*
For the record Suns fans, I'm with you on this trade not happening. There is nothing I want from the Suns anyways.

Guppyfighter
Why would it get the Suns Howard if he didn't want to come back home and play with Smith in Atlanta? Why would Phoenix have a better chance PSD posters?

Phoenix is a bigger market than Atlanta.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Even if it gets you Dwight Howard?

Yes. Dwight isn't a winner.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Yes. Dwight isn't a winner.

He took a bad Magics team to the finals.

Stunner
01-31-2013, 07:01 PM
Dwight stated he doesn't want to play in Atlanta , but he would like to play with Smith his childhood friend . Dwight would be the man in Phoniex.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
He took a bad Magics team to the finals.

Incorrect. He couldn't get it done in Orlando and it wasn't for want of trying. Dwight is not a player you want to build around.

SunsFanIam
01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
I am actually a fan of this. I like Josh smith as long as it doesn't involve alot of the draft picks that we have aquired. As for the guy SilverandBlack we do have a young Center in Gortat. He is only 28 and can average a double double. You might not like him which is fine, but he has a lot of talent and is a solid center in the league.

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
I am actually a fan of this. I like Josh smith as long as it doesn't involve alot of the draft picks that we have aquired. As for the guy SilverandBlack we do have a young Center in Gortat. He is only 28 and can average a double double. You might not like him which is fine, but he has a lot of talent and is a solid center in the league.

I'm talking someone to rebuild with. He is older than Smith.

And we would want draft picks, the whole point is to rebuild not trade the best guy from a playoff team for the best guy not on a playoff team.

Stunner
01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Incorrect. He couldn't get it done in Orlando and it wasn't for want of trying. Dwight is not a player you want to build around.

He still got them to the finals , he didn't say he won it so how is he incorrect ?

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:05 PM

Yes he is a guy you want to build around. Health issues pending, I'd trade Bogut for Dwight, straight up.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 07:08 PM
He still got them to the finals , he didn't say he won it so how is he incorrect ?

I was stating that his argument was incorrect. Just because a player is on a team that makes it to the NBA Finals doesn’t necessarily make him a winner.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Yes he is a guy you want to build around. Health issues pending, I'd trade Bogut for Dwight, straight up.

Of course. I'd choose a player who is injured some of the time over a player who is "injured" all of the time.

And the Warriors aren't looking for a player to build around, they are looking for the final piece. The Suns have no direction and no players worthy of building around at present. That being said, Josh Smith and/or Dwight Howard are not players I'd like to see the Suns build around going forward.

I was all for trading for Josh Smith 3 or so years ago when we had a younger Nash and other star players, but with our current roster and situation it seems counter-productive.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
I was stating that his argument was incorrect. Just because a player is on a team that makes it to the NBA Finals doesn’t necessarily make him a winner.

This is such an antiquated notion. We can see the impact he has on a team winning. You saw it yesterday. Lakers kicking *** all game, dominating the boards. He is out, bam, all of a sudden the Lakers can't stop a nose bleed. There is a reason the Magic went to the sixth seed to nothing without him.

He wins a lot more than he loses.

Duncan = Donkey

Build around Dwight?? not if u want a championship, Dwight is a No.2

You would trade a injury prone center for the best center in the league? WOW

Guppyfighter
Of course. I'd choose a player who is injured some of the time over a player who is "injured" all of the time.

Assuming health for both sides.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Build around Dwight?? not if u want a championship, Dwight is a No.2

You would trade a injury prone center for the best center in the league? WOW

None of Bogut injuries are chronic. He will by all accounts, be fine. Dwight is a guy you build around. No team has ever won it all without a top five player or a top five defense. Dwight gives you both.

JPHX
01-31-2013, 07:12 PM
I'd part with the lakers 1st in 2015 to get our hands on Smoove. We're already on target to start our rebuild through the draft, so if we can turn a couple more assets into a star to pair with our rookie, then make us an attractive location for Dwight (even though I don't like him), we will be heading in the right direction.

SunsFanIam
01-31-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm talking someone to rebuild with. He is older than Smith.

And we would want draft picks, the whole point is to rebuild not trade the best guy from a playoff team for the best guy not on a playoff team.

I understand draft picks would be in the mix I said a lot of those draft picks. Also from what it sounds like Alanta doesn't want to offer him a max contract and several other nba sources are saying his time is coming to an end. Also he is a free agent so it might be good to get a guy and some picks then lose him for nothing.

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
I understand draft picks would be in the mix I said a lot of those draft picks. Also from what it sounds like Alanta doesn't want to offer him a max contract and several other nba sources are saying his time is coming to an end. Also he is a free agent so it might be good to get a guy and some picks then lose him for nothing.

I'm down for a Gortat and a 1st for this year's draft trade. It will have to take Dudley to match contracts though.

Teague/Harris
Korver
Dudley
Horford
Gortat

gives us 3 1st round picks this upcoming draft. Maybe package them together for Shabazz. I'm cool with this.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
The line of commentary "dwight's not a winner" is eerily similar to the comments Lebron got before he won his title.

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
None of Bogut injuries are chronic. He will by all accounts, be fine. Dwight is a guy you build around. No team has ever won it all without a top five player or a top five defense. Dwight gives you both.

So what if they aren't chronic - Andrew Bogut is injury prone, he is often injured. Not even debatable.

Dwight is mentally weak, you can see it late in games. He will never win a title as the No.1

JPHX
01-31-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm down for a Gortat and a 1st for this year's draft trade. It will have to take Dudley to match contracts though.

Teague/Harris
Korver
Dudley
Horford
Gortat

gives us 3 1st round picks this upcoming draft. Maybe package them together for Shabazz. I'm cool with this.

you want 3 first rounders?!

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
So what if they aren't chronic - Andrew Bogut is injury prone, he is often injured. Not even debatable.

Dwight is mentally weak, you can see it late in games. He will never win a title as the No.1

You don't understand what prone means.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
This is such an antiquated notion. We can see the impact he has on a team winning. You saw it yesterday. Lakers kicking *** all game, dominating the boards. He is out, bam, all of a sudden the Lakers can't stop a nose bleed. There is a reason the Magic went to the sixth seed to nothing without him.

He wins a lot more than he loses.

Yesterday was only one game. His Win Share this season is 4.2...

And he wins more than he loses because in recent times he's always been a part of a contending team.

SunsFanIam
01-31-2013, 07:22 PM

Teague/Harris
Korver
Dudley
Horford
Gortat

Not that it is a bad trade including Jared Dudley, but I think I rather do something like
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ba7nb49
This that gives you tax relief this year and Brown comes off the books this year, also throw in a draft pick for this year and make it done.

JPHX
01-31-2013, 07:22 PM

Teague/Harris
Korver
Dudley
Horford
Gortat

lol nvm read your post wrong. #fail

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Assuming health for both sides.

That's a pretty farfetched assumption.

*Silver&Black*

No 1 from the Suns. We have 2 (1 from Rockets through Nets trade with Joe).

Edit: see that you understand, nevermind.

Guppyfighter

Load of bull. He's a ****, sure, but he is a center that can win a title.

Just replace what you said (dwight) with Lebron about two years ago. This is what you are saying.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
That's a pretty farfetched assumption.

Not really. Bogut has never had a chronic injury, and Dwight is dealing with his first chronic injury this year.

SunsFanIam

No he wants one. They already have 2

Edit: Sorry im late too haha

*Silver&Black*
Not that it is a bad trade including Jared Dudley, but I think I rather do something like
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ba7nb49
This that gives you tax relief this year and Brown comes off the books this year, also throw in a draft pick for this year and make it done.

I would do this too, if a 1st is included. Dudley or Brown would be cool, but we really need a SF (not Beasley :)).

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2013, 07:25 PM
You don't understand what prone means.

Andrew Bogut himself admits he is injury prone.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
Andrew Bogut himself admits he is injury prone.

If you quote mine properly. Bogut said the opposite.

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
I would do this too, if a 1st is included. Dudley or Brown would be cool, but we really need a SF (not Beasley :)).

Didn't you say on the first page there was nothing on the Suns that interest you?

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Well to me Injury Prone is someone who is often injured, and Bogut is always Injured.

FriedTofuz
01-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Gortat + the lakers first round pick should be enough to get josh smith. Excellent trade for the hawks and for the suns.

SunsFanIam

Yeah I can see that but Dudley can play the 2 with us and let Jsmooth move to SF but we are already giving up our center which leave us no real size so I went to a smaller but still prodeuctive player.

Im_in_Mia_bish
I guess the Lakers pick is hot commodity lol

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Well to me Injury Prone is someone who is often injured, and Bogut is always Injured.

The medical definition is a reoccurring injury that is prone to reinjury. Bogut is not more likely to break his ankle because of the previous break. That is not injury prone.

If he starts consistently missing time once he comes back 100 percent healthy because of his ankle, that's injury prone.

FriedTofuz
01-31-2013, 07:29 PM
It would be better if josh smith was traded on draft night, that would maximize phoniex's sucess with a top not draft pick, smooth, and then going after howard in the offseason.

FriedTofuz
01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Kind of jealous, I wanted jsmooth on the raptors. Id give up derozan + bargnani LOL

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Not really. Bogut has never had a chronic injury, and Dwight is dealing with his first chronic injury this year.

It's farfetched because Bogut is always "injured" (notice my repeated use of inverted commas?). The guy doesn't care about playing basketball or representing Australia. All he cares about is $$$ and fast cars. If I was the Warriors' GM I'd trade Bogut for almost any starting C in the league.

Anyway, we are getting way off topic.

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2013, 07:31 PM
The medical definition is a reoccurring injury that is prone to reinjury. Bogut is not more likely to break his ankle because of the previous break. That is not injury prone.

If he starts consistently missing time once he comes back 100 percent healthy because of his ankle, that's injury prone.

Everyone knows the medical definition.

But to me is a player is missing games due to injury all the time, he is in injury prone.

FriedTofuz
01-31-2013, 07:31 PM
lowry/ ross/ gay/ jsmooth/ big V
6th man: anderson

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Anyway back on topic. I hope nothing comes off this, Smith has always been overrated and no way he is a max player.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
It's farfetched because Bogut is always "injured" (notice my repeated use of inverted commas?). The guy doesn't care about playing basketball or representing Australia. All he cares about is $$$ and fast cars. If I was the Warriors' GM I'd trade Bogut for almost any starting C in the league.

Anyway, we are getting way off topic.

Bogut is known as a "rehab rat" by all of his teammates. And he is also known for very good conditioning. This is very ignorant commentary.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Anyway back on topic. I hope nothing comes off this, Smith has always been overrated and no way he is a max player.

If Smith lures Dwight, it is worth it.

JPHX
01-31-2013, 07:36 PM
If Smith attracts Dwight I think this is too good of an opportunity to pass up. Not many teams get a two-fer on the trade market

Duncan = Donkey
01-31-2013, 07:37 PM
If Smith lures Dwight, it is worth it.

If Dwight comes probably.

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Didn't you say on the first page there was nothing on the Suns that interest you?

for a rebuild but if 1st round draft pick is involved, then sure.

JPHX
01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Smith might be the type of player that will break down in his early 30s though. He may only be 27 but he already has 8 years under his belt.

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Kind of jealous, I wanted jsmooth on the raptors. Id give up derozan + bargnani LOL

yeah there will have to be a 3 team trade for Raps to get Smith :)

JPHX
01-31-2013, 07:44 PM
if a deal is contingent on a pick, then I would throw you a 2014 first or 2015 first. I wanna keep the lakers pick we have cause they be going downhill

Avenged
01-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Smith and Dwight is just mediocrity waiting to happen, a bit above avg at best.. For a team like the Suns though, if getting Smith means a chance at Dwight you take it.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Smith and Dwight is just mediocrity waiting to happen, a bit above avg at best.. For a team like the Suns though, if getting Smith means a chance at Dwight you take it.

You build around Dwight correctly, you are not mediocre, but a contender.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Bogut is known as a "rehab rat" by all of his teammates. And he is also known for very good conditioning. This is very ignorant commentary.

Actually I used to play against Bogut and have dealt with him through business so I don't believe that my opinion is ignorant at all.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 08:21 PM
Actually I used to play against Bogut and have dealt with him through business so I don't believe that my opinion is ignorant at all.

LOL

Yes, it is very ignorant given the commentary.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 08:25 PM
LOL

Yes, it is very ignorant given the commentary.

Righto. I guess my inside knowledge of him personally counts for nothing. I think you're the one being ignorant.

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2013, 08:26 PM
if a deal is contingent on a pick, then I would throw you a 2014 first or 2015 first. I wanna keep the lakers pick we have cause they be going downhill

Ferry got rid of Joe Johnson and at the same time received the most cap space of any team heading into the summer. I believe he will try his best to get that Lakers pick in any deal with Smith, especially since he now knows Suns "want" Smith.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Righto. I guess my inside knowledge of him personally counts for nothing. I think you're the one being ignorant.

If you were correct you'd be correct. But you are wrong so you aren't correct. Yes, it counts for nothing.

Guy has a reputation for good conditioning, comes back in tip top shape after not playing for four months, and his teammates said he had "no life outside of rehab."

He also starts fights in practice to make players play defense better.

I don't know why you are trying to lie right now, but it is not very becoming.

onlythisfar41
01-31-2013, 08:43 PM
No I would rather us get Shabazz and maybe Noel and build around that. And plus Beasley is starting to look promising right now too.

I really wouldnt place my hopes in Beasley. Getting Smith would be great for you guys because he is a top player. Now I dont necessarily believe he is worth max money and you probably will have to overpay him a bit to keep him which I get isn't the most palatable of options. However you have to realize that every team that is in contention has a top of the league player, you cant win without one. Even with paying Smith you guys will still be in great position financially to bring in some other people, on top of who you draft this offseason.

Its a good situation for you to be in, you should be thankful if it happens.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 08:43 PM
If you were correct you'd be correct. But you are wrong so you aren't correct. Yes, it counts for nothing.

What did I say that is apparently wrong?

Guy has a reputation for good conditioning, comes back in tip top shape after not playing for four months, and his teammates said he had "no life outside of rehab."

Bogut also has a reputation in Australia for finding any excuse to never play for the national team.

Is this the same "tip top shape" that had him miss the Cleveland game?

Would you care to list your source for what you quoted?

He also starts fights in practice to make players play defense better.

??? That sounds a bit odd. Again, do you have a source or are you just stating your own interpretation of Bogut starting fights.

I don't know why you are trying to lie right now, but it is not very becoming.

Lol, where did I lie?

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
What did I say that is apparently wrong?

Bogut also has a reputation in Australia for finding any excuse to never play for the national team.

Is this the same "tip top shape" that had him miss the Cleveland game?

Would you care to list your source for what you quoted?

??? That sounds a bit odd. Again, do you have a source or are you just stating your own interpretation of Bogut starting fights.

Lol, where did I lie?

"doesn't care about basketball."

Second bold, sounds like a nice little bias developed. He missed the Cleveland game due to the team doctors and organization saying he can't play. Once again, you are flaunting ignorance. You can go through the videos of Klay Thompson. He is the one who said it. But he does have a reputation as a rehab rat.

Bogut himself said this. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/06/andrew-bogut-wants-his-team-to-fight-each-other/

Saying he is lazy and doesn't care about basketball sounds bitter and if it is not a lie, it is a distorted version of reality.

JPHX
01-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Ferry got rid of Joe Johnson and at the same time received the most cap space of any team heading into the summer. I believe he will try his best to get that Lakers pick in any deal with Smith, especially since he now knows Suns "want" Smith.

Well take your pick on our picks ;). Would consider shipping a future 1st rounder but probably not any for this years draft. 2014 or 2015?

Bravo95
01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Would consider shipping a future 1st rounder but probably not any for this years draft.

Even though "experts" are saying this draft is weak compared to the last few and the next few?

Hawkeye15
01-31-2013, 08:59 PM

don't buy into it, I am telling you from experience. He will never fulfill his potential, and was a bad signing.

JPHX
01-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Even though "experts" are saying this draft is weak compared to the last few and the next few?

yep. Where kicking off our rebuild so I expect a high pick this year. if we get Smoove and subsequently Howard then...well you get.

Mr_Jones
01-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Smith is in no universe worth max. A good player, but he should never think that he's worth the max.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Smith is in no universe worth max. A good player, but he should never think that he's worth the max.

Whomever trades for him is either looking for a little playoff push this year, while retaining financial flexibility, or just clearing cap space. Or at least that is the only thing teams should be coveting, unless they think they can realistically sign him for 4 years, $40 million this summer. But considering his, "I am a max guy" comments, I would stay away from him if I was doing anything other than the 2 scenario's I listed.

Chill_Will_24
01-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Would Josh Smith resign there? That is usually the problem with these things

He seems to wanna get paid

GunFactor187
01-31-2013, 09:17 PM
God bless Lindsey Hunter's soul if Dwight and Josh Smith end up in PHX together.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
"doesn't care about basketball."

Second bold, sounds like a nice little bias developed. He missed the Cleveland game due to the team doctors and organization saying he can't play. Once again, you are flaunting ignorance. You can go through the videos of Klay Thompson. He is the one who said it. But he does have a reputation as a rehab rat.

Bogut himself said this. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/06/andrew-bogut-wants-his-team-to-fight-each-other/

Saying he is lazy and doesn't care about basketball sounds bitter and if it is not a lie, it is a distorted version of reality.

I wouldn't say that I'm being biased. Bogut has a long history of missing games, dating back way before he was traded to the Warriors. Did you follow him closely before he became a Warrior?

I may be bitter, but it is for good reason. I hate it when Australia's top athletes turn their backs on their country of birth. Some do it overtly (Mark Philippoussis), others covertly (Bogut, Harry Kewell); claiming injury after injury for not travelling and/or playing, or blaming their club team for not allowing them to play. On the other hand there are role models such as Tim Cahill and Patty Mills who do everything in their power to represent their country of birth.

I think that Bogut is an extremely talented basketball player and arguably one of the best fundamental C's in the NBA (when he's playing) but talent isn't everything. Bogut talks a lot but rarely follows through with actions. Talk is cheap.

Back on topic, I'd take Dwight over Bogut, but I wouldn't want to see either player listed on the Suns roster.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't say that I'm being biased. Bogut has a long history of missing games, dating back way before he was traded to the Warriors. Did you follow him closely before he became a Warrior?

I may be bitter, but it is for good reason. I hate it when Australia's top athletes turn their backs on their country of birth. Some do it overtly (Mark Philippoussis), others covertly (Bogut, Harry Kewell); claiming injury after injury for not travelling and/or playing, or blaming their club team for not allowing them to play. On the other hand there are role models such as Tim Cahill and Patty Mills who do everything in their power to represent their country of birth.

I think that Bogut is an extremely talented basketball player and arguably one of the best fundamental C's in the NBA (when he's playing) but talent isn't everything. Bogut talks a lot but rarely follows through with actions. Talk is cheap.

Back on topic, I'd take Dwight over Bogut, but I wouldn't want to see either player listed on the Suns roster.

Yes, I have.

Secondly, the time he did play for Australia, he had to play the point guard position. I'd imagine that's a deterrent. And I am not sure why you care if your country does good or not, I could give a **** if Nickleback won an award even though we are both from America. You think Canadians care if Justin Bieber is awarded by their prime minster?

Your third, that's just you being bitter. Take off the glasses. this applies to your last comment as well. Not wanting these guys on your roster, that's insane.

smith&wesson
01-31-2013, 09:35 PM
I dont think any one in the league cares for beasly...

gortat and dudley probably wont be enough to get smith, doesnt really do much to upgrade the hawks. unless phx has some picks to throw at atlanta i dont see this happening.

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Eh gortat is a very nice player. The lakers 1st with him is a solid piece. I think adding Dudley to that would be too much for smith

king4day
01-31-2013, 10:01 PM
No please. Draft picks and cap space. Unless Suns have a young center........................nope they don't.

For half a season? No thanks

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Yes, I have.

Secondly, the time he did play for Australia, he had to play the point guard position. I'd imagine that's a deterrent. And I am not sure why you care if your country does good or not, I could give a **** if Nickleback won an award even though we are both from America. You think Canadians care if Justin Bieber is awarded by their prime minster?

Your third, that's just you being bitter. Take off the glasses. this applies to your last comment as well. Not wanting these guys on your roster, that's insane.

When has Bogut ever played PG, let alone for the Boomers (Australian men’s national team)? He played C back in juniors when I played against him and has done so ever since as far as I know. He's always been pigeonholed as a C for the Boomers. Australia has plenty of talented guards to choose from.

I am patriotic and like to see my country play well at sport. I couldn’t care less about where crappy musicians come from or what awards they receive (not sure why you used this example), but I would be annoyed if they turned their back on their country of birth.

And you are missing my point about not wanting guys like Dwight, Bogut, Josh Smith etc. on the Suns’ roster. I want players that will bring us a ring after over 40 ring-less seasons, not players that will have us only making the 2nd round of the Playoffs.

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 10:11 PM
When has Bogut ever played PG, let alone for the Boomers (Australian men’s national team)? He played C back in juniors when I played against him and has done so ever since as far as I know. He's always been pigeonholed as a C for the Boomers. Australia has plenty of talented guards to choose from.

I am patriotic and like to see my country play well at sport. I couldn’t care less about where crappy musicians come from or what awards they receive (not sure why you used this example), but I would be annoyed if they turned their back on their country of birth.

And you are missing my point about not wanting guys like Dwight, Bogut, Josh Smith etc. on the Suns’ roster. I want players that will bring us a ring after over 40 ring-less seasons, not players that will have us only making the 2nd round of the Playoffs.

No team ever won a title without a top five player (Dwight) or a top five defensive player in the league (Bogut, Still Dwight)

They are pretty good pieces to have. If you think they won't help win a ring, you are ****ing insane.

king4day
01-31-2013, 10:18 PM
If the Suns happend to land Smith, then this franchise would need to go balls out to get Howard. Otherwise it would be kinda pointless.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 10:59 PM
No team ever won a title without a top five player (Dwight) or a top five defensive player in the league (Bogut, Still Dwight)

They are pretty good pieces to have. If you think they won't help win a ring, you are ****ing insane.

Well then why haven't Dwight, Bogut, or Josh Smith ever won a ring? I go by history as opposed to assumptions. There's nothing insane about that thought process.

The Suns have an owner who avoids luxury tax at all costs. Orlando couldn't make it work with Dwight with team salary's over $100M. Dwight and Josh Smith together would account for $30M-$35M of the cap. It would be extremely difficult to build a championship team around this duo when they take up so much of a team's salary.

4milesperday
01-31-2013, 11:02 PM
I don't know what the Suns have that will intrigue the Hawks, i'll hope they are not naive enough to trade Smith for Beasley. I also hope they are not naive enough to give Smith the max like they did for Joe Johnson.

Bishnoff
01-31-2013, 11:05 PM
I don't know what the Suns have that will intrigue the Hawks, i'll hope they are not naive enough to trade Smith for Beasley. I also hope they are not naive enough to give Smith the max like they did for Joe Johnson.

Suns didn't give JJ the max, that's why he insisted on a trade. The Suns lost JJ after Sarver refused to give JJ an extension.

reffahead
02-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Phoenix will have to add their pick which probably falls to 6-7th. You can have either Hawks pick in return: ours or Houston's pick should they make the playoffs.

Hate him or love him Smoove plays and produces on both ends of the court. The open offense is just what he needs out there opposed to the jump shooting offense ran by the Hawks.

Robbw241
02-01-2013, 12:22 AM
At this point, I don't see anyone in this draft being better than Smith. I would probably do it if I were the Suns.

SACNYY
02-01-2013, 01:28 AM
And the Howard Sun rumors begin

John Walls Era
02-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Its too late for this. They're so far out of the playoffs.

*Silver&Black*
02-01-2013, 01:54 AM

Different guy running things. Danny Ferry knows what he is doing. He is the one that traded Joe's contract.

Duncan = Donkey
02-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Phoenix will have to add their pick which probably falls to 6-7th. You can have either Hawks pick in return: ours or Houston's pick should they make the playoffs.

Hate him or love him Smoove plays and produces on both ends of the court. The open offense is just what he needs out there opposed to the jump shooting offense ran by the Hawks.

Keep dreaming

akagiredsuns
02-01-2013, 02:23 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-phoenix-suns-pursuing-josh-smith/

Wow, they will still have 20m in cap room.

Could make a serious run at D12 in the offseason.

Why the hell would they do that? Howard is a cancer and has become the most hated diva in the NBA. You expect him to carry a team on his shoulders? He can't even handle being smacked in the shoulder. There are other routes the Suns can go to build.

SINCESTARBURY25
02-01-2013, 02:32 AM
I dont see Dwight staying in Pheonix

reffahead
02-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Keep dreaming

Please, the Suns are after Smith. We are not after Gortat so if they want it to happen, that is the starting point. Plenty sure there are plenty offers out there.

Duncan = Donkey
02-01-2013, 02:56 AM
I dont see Dwight staying in Pheonix

I dont see how this is relevant:confused:

If he signs for PHX, he obviously would have intentions on staying.:facepalm:

Duncan = Donkey
02-01-2013, 02:57 AM
Please, the Suns are after Smith. We are not after Gortat so if they want it to happen, that is the starting point. Plenty sure there are plenty offers out there.

Yer our top 5 pick is the starter point, lol

reffahead
02-01-2013, 03:14 AM
Yer our top 5 pick is the starter point, lol

You will not get a top 5 pick dodo. You can't out tank atleast 6 other teams. It should be top 3 protected but who has said Atlanta is interested in trading with the Suns. I could see if Woj or somebody tweeted "Hawks interested in Gortat" but you just showed your hand.

reffahead
02-01-2013, 03:14 AM
Nt

Duncan = Donkey
02-01-2013, 03:18 AM
You will not get a top 5 pick dodo. You can't out tank atleast 6 other teams. It should be top 3 protected but who has said Atlanta is interested in trading with the Suns. I could see if Woj or somebody tweeted "Hawks interested in Gortat" but you just showed your hand.

We have the 6th worst record right now, with a tough schedule ahead. Im pretty sure we will be picking top 5.

And League sources says is not showing your hand.

reffahead
02-01-2013, 03:49 AM
Paraphrasing: "Suns feel Smith can become the face of the franchise, blah, blah, and they've been interested for some time now".

Kings, Bobcats, Cavs, Washington, Hornets, Magic, finishes with the lesser record no matter if you play the dream team for the rest of the season.

shep33
02-01-2013, 03:53 AM
This is good for the ATL, not so great for the Suns.

Phoenix has to rebuild properly, no need to put a lot of money into Smith in order to battle for an 8th spot. That just puts you at an even worse position.

Suns can rebuild quickly, don't get why they'd want Smith.

shep33
02-01-2013, 03:57 AM

This. If your going to invest like 150 mill in Smith + Howard, that isn't going to get you anywhere out west. Also Sarver doesn't like to spend, so I don't see him dishing out 2 max deals.

They still have Scola, Frye, Dudley, Dragic, signed on for at least 2 more years. They actually can't afford to sign Dwight + Smith anyways can they?

Guppyfighter
02-01-2013, 05:16 AM
This. If your going to invest like 150 mill in Smith + Howard, that isn't going to get you anywhere out west. Also Sarver doesn't like to spend, so I don't see him dishing out 2 max deals.

They still have Scola, Frye, Dudley, Dragic, signed on for at least 2 more years. They actually can't afford to sign Dwight + Smith anyways can they?

They will have 20 million in cap space next off season. A proper trade and they can sign both. Dwight Howard, when fully healthy makes a team an instant contender. He is the fourth or fifth best player in the league and people are forgetting that.

Duncan = Donkey
02-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Paraphrasing: "Suns feel Smith can become the face of the franchise, blah, blah, and they've been interested for some time now".

Kings, Bobcats, Cavs, Washington, Hornets, Magic, finishes with the lesser record no matter if you play the dream team for the rest of the season.

Cant see the Hornets finishing with a worse record than us, Kings is a toss up. The rest will finish with a worse record than us. I see us with pick 5