PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies Title Chances

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 03:45 AM
Dust is settled, how do you feel about the Grizzlies chances now.

GunFactor187
01-31-2013, 03:48 AM
Grizzlies will stay the course they've been on, still being contenders. With ED and Prince now in the fray, their defense has gotten a lot better. I'd say their title chances are as high as ever with the trade.

TrueFan420
01-31-2013, 04:01 AM
I think the same. They've played without gay before and didn't miss a beat. Also think prince will fit in will to that line up.

Gibby
01-31-2013, 04:16 AM
slightly improved

poleandreel
01-31-2013, 04:28 AM
definitely worse. people on here like to **** on gay but in the playoffs, a player who can create his own shot is a huge factor. They don't have that now with prince/allen starting.

Also, Gay has historically played Durant very well.

Hellcrooner
01-31-2013, 04:44 AM
slightly better.
unless they trade zach too.
wich is not out of the realm of posibility.

rockbottom2010
01-31-2013, 04:45 AM
now they have 4 left handers w/ conley, z-bo, davis, and prince

Ebbs
01-31-2013, 04:54 AM
They're 1 and done

John Walls Era
01-31-2013, 05:38 AM
They're done and none.

But I think its probably the same as before, maybe slightly worse. Gay wasn't good as a 4th option, but he was their go to guy down the stretch and hes had some success.

kobe4thewinbang
01-31-2013, 07:14 AM
I understand the financial straits they were in, but this trade has to jar chemistry. They have time to "click" between now and the playoffs, but the players are obviously shaken, including Conley. This will probably sound stupid, but Memphis is now OKC without Durant and without Harden, but with Kevin Martin. Understand? They play great as a team, but Tayshuan Prince is not Rudy Gay. I also think losing Speights will hurt, too.

Raidaz4Life
01-31-2013, 07:31 AM
They went from contender to pretender.

mvb815
01-31-2013, 09:01 AM
They're done and none.

But I think its probably the same as before, maybe slightly worse. Gay wasn't good as a 4th option, but he was their go to guy down the stretch and hes had some success.

i wasn`t aware your 4th option could lead your team in scoring. this trade kills the grizzlies, i don`t care what they did to the spurs 2 years ago, gay was the best and most versatile player on that team and is a top 5 (at worst top 7) smf in the league

I Rock Shaqs
01-31-2013, 09:29 AM
I understand the financial straits they were in, but this trade has to jar chemistry. They have time to "click" between now and the playoffs, but the players are obviously shaken, including Conley. This will probably sound stupid, but Memphis is now OKC without Durant and without Harden, but with Kevin Martin. Understand? They play great as a team, but Tayshuan Prince is not Rudy Gay. I also think losing Speights will hurt, too.

That was dumb as hell, understand?

Gators123
01-31-2013, 09:34 AM
I like them even more now. Prince will be a better fit than Gay was.

yaswaggin
01-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Watch gay tear it up like mayo now

koreancabbage
01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Prince is not Rudy Gay, scoring wise, and they didn't get as far in the playoffs if they might have had Rudy Gay. defense is better but Prince is on the downside of his career and its not getting any better. Speights > Ed DAvis.

they downgraded everywhere and now people are saying they got better? addition by subtraction but talent wise, no way. they got worse in every single way.

NYKnickFanatic
01-31-2013, 10:20 AM

This. Prince will compliment the team and fit right in. I also like Daye and Davis off the bench. Dont know if Daye will play though.

Swashcuff
01-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Are people really saying that the Grizz were serious title contenders? They weren't and still aren't with this trade. Prince isn't anywhere near the defender he was in years gone by but he's still pretty serviceable on that end of the floor and him and Davis would only help to bolster one of the best defenses in the league. Randolph, Marc and Conley need to step it up on the offensive end however. This trade is a wait and see for me but quite honestly at no point did I see the Grizz being title contenders and after this trade they're right about where they were before IMO.

Kenny
01-31-2013, 10:27 AM
I think people are living in the past with Prince. He isn't close to the player he was. I like Davis though as a backup big. I don't think this makes them better. I agree with what people say on Gay. For a guy that is 6-9 and that athletic he shouldn't be taking as many contested fade away two's that he does. But having a guy that can create his own shot even with his faults is still valuable. Puts a lot of pressure on Conley now.

Swashcuff
01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Prince is not Rudy Gay, scoring wise, and they didn't get as far in the playoffs if they might have had Rudy Gay. defense is better but Prince is on the downside of his career and its not getting any better. Speights > Ed DAvis.

they downgraded everywhere and now people are saying they got better? addition by subtraction but talent wise, no way. they got worse in every single way.

Speights and Gay are revolving doors defensively. Both Davis and Prince will help them out on that end of the floor. They're much improved defensively now than they were before. Also Davis is younger, better on both ends of the floor and has much more upside than Speights. As far as that replacement goes they certainly got better.

Sly Guy
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
their chances are lower, at least for this season. They've made too many moves at the deadline to develop the chemistry needed to make a title run. I'm not a supporter of major mid-season moves, and they've traded their bench and one of their core players.

Next season we'll have to see, but I think they've shortened their window of opportunity as they'll need to replace prince before anyone else. Ed is gonna be the 3rd big coming off the bench, and that redundancy could potentially hamper his growth as a player. I really don't like this trade for anybody but the pistons, truthfully.

Hustla23
01-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Give it some time. I think they are legitimate contenders with this move.

koreancabbage
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Speights and Gay are revolving doors defensively. Both Davis and Prince will help them out on that end of the floor. They're much improved defensively now than they were before. Also Davis is younger, better on both ends of the floor and has much more upside than Speights. As far as that replacement goes they certainly got better.

even if you say they got defensively better, I think they lack a perimeter threat and wing scoring. I think that was the main reason why they didn't get to the finals two years ago. and Zbo played his heart out that year as well.

HowBoutDemBulls
01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
They coulda been a contender.....Yeah no they have no one to take Big Shots. Gay was a decent go to go.

Avenged
01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Never considered them serious title contenders with or without Gay. I do think they have improved now but not enough to get them over the hump. They will be a threat for sure, I just don't see them winning a championship.

Over Da Pence
01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
grizzlies might do ok in the regular season but have no hope in the playoffs. gay is the type of guy you need in crucial situations. no chances for the grizzlies. People that say otherwise are something. I think it's called denial.

CaptainClutch
01-31-2013, 11:30 AM
2nd round at most. Could stretch someone to 6 or 7 games in that round though

Blitzbolt
01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Grizzlies do to 2 things well they rebound and they play Defense and that helps in the playoffs.But still second round exit is very likely with or without Gay.

KingPosey
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure this helped them other than financially. I really wonder what Prince us left in the tank at this point.

He has been known as a stopper but his defense has been somewhat overrated for a while.

And however inefficient Gay was, he was their only player that could create for himself consistently, other than Randolph who has to score on the block and has some efficiency issues of his own this season

Chronz
01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Depends on what Tay has left in the tank, but lets be honest, the value of Gay's shot creation didn't warrant his paycheck. You can say hes the go to guy down the stretch but hes the reason games are close to begin with. I would understand if he were some kind of elite closer but the guy isn't that good in the clutch. Hell he got locked down 1 on 1 by our PF (K-Mart) in the playoffs last year, every time the game was close vs the Clippers, the ball was in Gay's hands and the victory was secured for the Clippers.

JasonJohnHorn
01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
definitely worse. people on here like to **** on gay but in the playoffs, a player who can create his own shot is a huge factor.

This is very true. I remember in last season's post season the Grizz were down by nine and in the last minute Gay hit back to back 3 pointers that were highly contested, and on the third try he missed to tie the game and the commentators were like: "Oh, Gay missed in the clutch!" I'm like, no, he just hit back-toback 3 pointers that brought the team to within three to tie it. How many points do you expect a guy to score in a minute? The Grizzlies will miss that in tight games at the end, even if Gay is shooting a lower percentage.

That said, they still have a strong offense, and even if Gay plays Durant well, Prince has been known to shut down some of the best players in the league; McGrady, Kobe, LBJ. He is a great defender. And Ed Davis makes up for the fact that they let Speights go.

Hellcrooner
01-31-2013, 01:32 PM
question.

is prince a worse player than battier was two years ago when gay was injured for playoffs and they went into the second round?

I dont think so, and now their bench is DEEPER.

Stinkyoutsider
01-31-2013, 01:42 PM
I can understand the Grizzlies did this for financial reasons but I think removing Gay is hard to judge based on what the philosophy of the team should be.

I always thought the Grizzlies should be running the offense through the post. You've got Randolph who offensively needs to be doubled. Then, you've got Gasol who can also draw doubles, is a great post passer, and can finish with either hand. With those 2 guys and Rudy Gay, it was probably tough to figure out who to get the ball to.

I think now, the Grizzlies should run this type of offense. Prince has shown earlier in his career that he's also a good post scorer and he's improved his shooting so leaving him to double the post might be a bad idea. I like Ed Davis and thought he was having a breakout season with the Raptors before this trade. Now, I think the Grizz have a lot of front court depth for the playoffs.

Prince can defend and I wonder what Austin Daye will give them too.

MrfadeawayJB
01-31-2013, 01:53 PM
I think are chances are about the same, perhaps improved a bit. Although Gay was very important in the clutch with his shot creating ability, he would "disappear" from time to time and have mental lapses. Gay is a bit of a ball stopper and adding Prince will improve ball movement. Now we can go inside out and more touches for our most efficient scorers in the post. I think management will tell marc to take 15-20 shots a game and thats huge for his development in my opionion. Now that Marc is thrust into this role i could see him easily being the best center in the league.

As some already mentioned, adding Davis (a much needed shot blocker) and Prince (team player and solid defender with good length) makes the #1 scoring defense Grizz that much better. I expect us to lock down teams until the offense starts to pick up. Adding Prince, Daye, hopefully Chris Johnson (10 day contract) and the emergence of Bayless as a two guard allows us to be potent from outside if the inside is double teamed.

Maybe i'm being optomistic but i think grizz will be improved

todu82
01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
The same. They still have to compete with the Thunder, Clippers and Spurs in the West.

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2013, 07:50 PM
Eh about the same IMO. I don't understand getting prince who makes a lot of money if they were cutting back but Davis is a solid rotation guy. Gay wasn't that good I think Memphis is still tough with their size

LASportsFan1996
01-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Worse then they were before the Gay trade

gwrighter
01-31-2013, 10:58 PM
They went from contender to pretender.

Agreed

Disagree, they now lack a wing that can consistently create on the wing and draw double teams.

--23--
01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't like their chances now at all, nor do i like this move being made in the middle of the season while they was playing like a top 4 team in the West. With that said I'll wait to see how the pieces work together before making a final judgement.

Hangtime
01-31-2013, 11:53 PM
I don't really see any drastic change in their title chances. I never considered them legitimate title contenders with Gay anyway. Gay has always lacked killer instinct to take over games on a consistent basis. You have to be able to do that in the playoffs if you want to advance further. Every team that wins an NBA championship has those types of fearless players. What player did Memphis have with that type of pedigree? And I will laugh my *** off if you say Gay. Memphis can still be strong and give teams trouble because of their size and defense. But I still see them being a second round playoff team at best.

WARRIORS@GR
02-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Who really believes the Grizzlies could win a series vs Thunder?it would be a very short series.

Guppyfighter
02-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Who really believes the Grizzlies could win a series vs Thunder?it would be a very short series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsiR7nP5Dp0

seikou8
02-01-2013, 06:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsiR7nP5Dp0

that was two years ago still think the mavs could make it a long series with heat:rolleyes:

DitchDat
02-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Mayo? Tearing it up? Don't you mean Harden?

WARRIORS@GR
02-01-2013, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsiR7nP5Dp0its 12/13 now not 10/11..was thunder the best team in west back then?