PDA

View Full Version : How do you build around Gay?

Chronz
01-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Seems to me like his ideal compliment was the guy they just traded away (Calderon). Or maybe he and Lowry form a poor mans Durant/Westbrook?

Should they look to move Bargnani or see if they can show signs of cohesion? I think their inability to get someone to take Fields was unfortunate.

Sadds The Gr8
01-31-2013, 03:28 AM
Barfnani is already being shopped. The offers should be interesting since his stock is crap right now

Guppyfighter
01-31-2013, 03:28 AM
Give him three Lebron James and a Dwight Howard.

heyman321
01-31-2013, 03:30 AM
In the butt.

ACanadian
01-31-2013, 03:30 AM
You can't, he's just a starting SF, Wiggins though, that's another story

Johann
01-31-2013, 03:32 AM
I don't think it's considered "building around" when most of the pieces are already there.

You see, the Raptors already have a core of young players, including Terrence Ross, Demar Dezoan, Jonas Valanciunas, Amir Johnson, Landry Fields, [Bargnani,] and Kyle Lowry. And now you can include Rudy Gay.

We have no superstars, and I don't think Rudy Gay will ever be considered one, so I don't think he's the cornerstone of this team. He'll likely be the number 1 option on the floor, but that's about it.

LakersMaster24
01-31-2013, 03:49 AM
You don't. You build with him.

lajoie
01-31-2013, 04:00 AM
I never thought a team would have to "build around" Rudy Gay. Shows just how sad the Raptors truly are

numba1CHANGsta
01-31-2013, 04:09 AM
You build not around, but IN him

Stunner
01-31-2013, 04:27 AM
Derozan , Bargs , 3 1st for Love

Kashmir13579
01-31-2013, 04:41 AM
In what way was getting rid of Fields even a remote possibility?

I don't think you build around Gay. I think he needs to be a part of a super-team to succeed. A super-team featuring a Rondo or Steve Nash esque point guard.

Hellcrooner
01-31-2013, 04:45 AM
I dont know.

I know this, tough: Stay away from Pau!!!!!!!!!

Ebbs
01-31-2013, 04:55 AM
They should move Bargs and give Lowry - DeRoz - Gay - Johnson - Jonas serious time. I think that's a playoff team. Move Bargs + something for a defensive 4/5.

idrinkpepsi
01-31-2013, 05:02 AM
Too bad to contend, too good to rebuild.

Raptors are ****ed.

John Walls Era
01-31-2013, 05:02 AM
I dont know.

I know this, tough: Stay away from Pau!!!!!!!!!

Cut the crap. You make it seem like Pau is in a great situation under Michelle Antonio Right now.

Hellcrooner
01-31-2013, 05:06 AM
Cut the crap. You make it seem like Pau is in a great situation under Michelle Antonio Right now.

being used, and ignored as a fourth option when you are surrounded by talented players that you could argue as better then you

vs

being used and ignored as a fourth option when you are surrounded by overrated, not that talented ( and definetly not more talented than you) dudes.

yeah, i think pau can pass and should pass on the raptors.:rolleyes: thanks

JEDean89
01-31-2013, 05:14 AM
rudy might really benefit from this in memphis he was the 1A or 1B option but never really the true first option. in toronto he is one of the more veteran players and should have the offense run through him. it's a shame that the raptors didn't draft drummond, he would have been a perfect fit next to valanciunas and gay. he would have also made bargnani more expendable and you could trade him for another big.

John Walls Era
01-31-2013, 05:17 AM
being used, and ignored as a fourth option when you are surrounded by talented players that you could argue as better then you

vs

being used and ignored as a fourth option when you are surrounded by overrated, not that talented ( and definetly not more talented than you) dudes.

yeah, i think pau can pass and should pass on the raptors.:rolleyes: thanks

Hed be first option on the Raptors. And lucky for everyone, Pau doesn't have any say in it because Buss JR and Co clearly don't give a **** about his feelings. So trade him to the Raptors, at least he will get treated like a MAN instead of a boy.

Hellcrooner
01-31-2013, 05:18 AM
rudy might really benefit from this in memphis he was the 1A or 1B option but never really the true first option. in toronto he is one of the more veteran players and should have the offense run through him. it's a shame that the raptors didn't draft drummond, he would have been a perfect fit next to valanciunas and gay. he would have also made bargnani more expendable and you could trade him for another big.

he was, since gasol was traded and until he got injured and missed half a season.

On that period they SUCKED.
When he got injured that year, zach and marc took over and took the team from lottery to playoffs and then to second round.

tells volumes about how good a "franchise" gay is.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-31-2013, 05:19 AM
Bargnani's still on the block so they won't be teammates for long.

But yea, you don't build around him. He's a secondary piece.

Hellcrooner
01-31-2013, 05:20 AM
Hed be first option on the Raptors. And lucky for everyone, Pau doesn't have any say in it because Buss JR and Co clearly don't give a **** about his feelings. So trade him to the Raptors, at least he will get treated like a MAN instead of a boy.

With Lowry and his me first attitude, and Gay and his me first attitude ( they are friends btw) and derozan and his me first attitude?

You think they would bow to him now that the general perception is that he is done :rolleyes: specially knowing Gay Already butted heads with him when he was a ****ing rookie and pau was on his early prime?

Keep dreaming.

If he has to be traded id much rather have an spaniard reunion.
Preferably Borhters reunion in memphis, but ill take a pistons or wolves one too.

John Walls Era
01-31-2013, 05:27 AM
With Lowry and his me first attitude, and Gay and his me first attitude ( they are friends btw) and derozan and his me first attitude?

You think they would bow to him now that the general perception is that he is done :rolleyes: specially knowing Gay Already butted heads with him when he was a ****ing rookie and pau was on his early prime?

Keep dreaming.

If he has to be traded id much rather have an spaniard reunion.
Preferably Borhters reunion in memphis, but ill take a pistons or wolves one too.

Have you looked at that team? Derozan is their best player. He has to do what hes doing.

Theres a thing called coaching in the NBA. I know you don't have much faith in it right now, but coaches set up plays for the BEST PLAYER on their team.

Hellcrooner
01-31-2013, 05:32 AM
Have you looked at that team? Derozan is their best player. He has to do what hes doing.

Theres a thing called coaching in the NBA. I know you don't have much faith in it right now, but coaches set up plays for the BEST PLAYER on their team.

Something like kobe > artest > Howard > Clark> nash > gasol?

yeah that looks like a coach giving the touches to his best players.

John Walls Era
01-31-2013, 05:36 AM
Something like kobe > artest > Howard > Clark> nash > gasol?

yeah that looks like a coach giving the touches to his best players.

Did you just compare Michelle Antonio to any other competant HC?

bigsams50
01-31-2013, 06:02 AM
I actually think Gasol would be perfect for Toronto. I could see him and Gay being 1A and 1B in the offense

Raps08-09 Champ
01-31-2013, 06:03 AM
I actually think Gasol would be perfect for Toronto. I could see him and Gay being 1A and 1B in the offense

Didn't work the first time.

Legitimate
01-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Were ****ed with Bargnani down low, if he can at least hit open jump shots we good. :D

bigsams50
01-31-2013, 06:43 AM
Didn't work the first time.

Maybe not. But surrounded by Lowry, Ross, Derozan, Jonas, and Amir. I think they could be pretty solid out east.

BALLER R
01-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Can't wait to see some of you praising Rudy Gay. It's one thing to say he's having a bad year but to say he just plain out sucks. You gotta be kidding me. You know he's better than all of our players right. Then again you probably think Anderson and Fields are great starters.

sep11ie
01-31-2013, 07:24 AM
I don't like DD and Gay starting together.

rockbottom2010
01-31-2013, 07:46 AM
gay will play at the 4 at times....interesting part is that rudy gay's prime is just beginning...

JPierce
01-31-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm looking around and can't see a natural taker for Bargs. Perhaps Brooklyn. They get rid of Hump (who's fallen out of favor) and CJ Watson for Bargs and Kleiza.

Spending money isn't an issue in Brooklyn and maybe Prokorov likes the Euros? I'd be ok sending a wing out as well. Perhaps a cheap AA gets them to bite.

TO gets the scrapping big they seem to need and another pg. hump saves TO 6 million with his expensive but shorter contract and gets Kleizas 6 mill off the books as well.

This is just a shot in the dark because I just don't see who takes Bargs right ow. A look at options team by team would be interesting. Packaging Bargs with someone like Lowry seemed to be the only way to move him but obviously off the table now.

JPierce
01-31-2013, 08:26 AM
I will say I am sad to see Calderon go. The team turned a corner when he stepped up a few months ago. Plays hard, loved the team and the city.

I'd love to see him return this summer but I don't know how realistic that is given BC has tried to move him for 2 years at least.

JPierce
01-31-2013, 08:27 AM
Anyone know of good young 4s or 1s doing it in the D League?

Bob_at_york
01-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Anyone know of good young 4s or 1s doing it in the D League?

Houston has some forwards in the dleague

rockbottom2010
01-31-2013, 08:53 AM
I will say I am sad to see Calderon go. The team turned a corner when he stepped up a few months ago. Plays hard, loved the team and the city.

I'd love to see him return this summer but I don't know how realistic that is given BC has tried to move him for 2 years at least.

remember...hes a free agent this summer...its possible that he would come back to TO with a discount

Legitimate
01-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Calderon heart is in Tdot, so he will re-sign with us. Unless Detrot throws some big offer out there for maybe he puts in work with Drummond and Monroe.

Legitimate
01-31-2013, 08:59 AM
^Nah kidding. But seriously, I'm liking this trade for detroit, I wanna see the pick'n' roll Calds on Greg Monroe.

Hustla23
01-31-2013, 09:05 AM
You build not around, but IN him

Can we get some more of these? :laugh: :laugh:

king4day
01-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Watching the Lakers last night, I actually think Bargnani makes sense on that team to pair him with Howard. A shooting big will always cause problems. That trade seems like it'd make sense afterall.

b@llhog24
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
With better players

Avenged
01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
He is not the type of player you build around. If you do, you will be looking at years bottom dwelling or best case scenario - mediocrity. He is a nice piece to have as a 3rd - 4th option RIGHT NOW. If he can start playing like he did 2-3 seasons ago, clear #2.

koreancabbage
01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
there are only a handful of players you build around right now and Rudy Gay isn't one of them (as far as we can tell)

JPierce
01-31-2013, 12:56 PM
I could see moving bargs to la, but I can't see taking back Gasoline with Gays contract on the books.

sixer04fan
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
You don't build around Gay. He's a great complimentary player. Would be a great 3rd banana for a contending team's "Big 3"

BKLYNpigeon
01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
I think it was a great trade for the Raptors. I dont know why you guys are all hating on it.

Gay's contract sucks..yes we all know that , but its only for another 2 years. Rudy Gay is going to be a VERY Valuable player when he is on the last year of his contract.

Stinkyoutsider
01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure building around Gay is a good idea? I'm not sure what to expect out of him now.

I'm not sure if his performances are inconsistent but there's just something about his entire game that doesn't equal franchise player imo. He doesn't look quite as agressive as he used to be a few years ago and he's settling for jump shots a lot more, which I don't think was ever the strongest part of his game.

He reminds me of a Luol Deng type player but without the consistent long range shot Luol has shown in the last few years. Very good athlete, solid defender, good in transition, and a glue guy for his team (when Gay wants to be, he's got the ability to do it).

Honestly, I would like to see if the Raptors could get themselves a star player on the squad because I think Gay is better than a role player but not quite good enough at this point to be a star.

BHF
01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
not sure it would be a good idea adding Pau to the raptors that's a lot of money just for Pau Galsol and Rudy Gay

TopsyTurvy
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
You can't build around Rudy Gay - he's a complimentary piece for a team with another weapon.

ghettosean
01-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Watching the Lakers last night, I actually think Bargnani makes sense on that team to pair him with Howard. A shooting big will always cause problems. That trade seems like it'd make sense afterall.

I've been saying this for years when Dwight was on Orlando.... He is the perfect piece to compliment Howard. I think it's a huge mistake if the Lakers don't pick up the phone and inquire about Bargnani because him on outside and Howard on the inside will cause so many problems for teams.

smith&wesson
01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Seems to me like his ideal compliment was the guy they just traded away (Calderon). Or maybe he and Lowry form a poor mans Durant/Westbrook?

Should they look to move Bargnani or see if they can show signs of cohesion? I think their inability to get someone to take Fields was unfortunate.

first I hope Amir can start at the 4 rather then Barg's. Barg's is best for scoring off the bench seeing how all he can really do is score..

I think a derozan for iggy trade could make sence for us ...iggy's pass first mentality would help in our starting line up and his D on the perimeter would take pressure off of gay to guard the apposing teams best wing player..

hopefully Jonas and Ross work well with gay along with Lowry...

blahblahyoutoo
01-31-2013, 02:43 PM
you don't cuz he's not that good.
he's good but not 5 yrs $80M good.

Gators123
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Tom Haberstroh ‏@tomhaberstroh

Among 151 guys w/ 1000+ minutes, Ed Davis is 12th most valuable contract by PER/dollars this season. Rudy Gay is 148th of 151.

smith&wesson
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM

We only have control for two years , so after next season he becomes a huge 19 million dollars expiring which we can def use in a trade down the road ...

Ross is a high potential rookie as well so if gay doesn't work out we can trade his expiring contract to fill another position of need while Ross gets inserted in the starting line up..

LanceUpperCut
01-31-2013, 03:04 PM

You make it sound like he has 5 years left. He has 2 more years after this one so we have no pick this year in a ****** draft and come next offseason he could very well be a massive expiring at an all-star level at probably the weakest position in the NBA. We sold high on 2 players one I loved in Jose but was an expiring and was hated by most until recently and Ed Davis a solid young who will be a boarder line starter in the most crowded position in the league. Gay's value will only go up from here.

LanceUpperCut
01-31-2013, 03:04 PM
We only have control for two years , so after next season he becomes a huge 19 million dollars expiring which we can def use in a trade down the road ...

Ross is a high potential rookie as well so if gay doesn't work out we can trade his expiring contract to fill another position of need while Ross gets inserted in the starting line up..

**** man you beat me to it.

OceanSpray
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
If you ask me, Gay has potential to be a top 10 player. I think playing with Grizzlies limited his ability due to the fact that Gasol and Zach block the paint so well. I'd let him play this season out before building on Gay.

Wolfman01
01-31-2013, 03:34 PM
How would I built around Rudy Gay? I would keep Gay, Lowry, and DeRozan and package Bargnani along with some players and 1st round draft picks for a good big men like DeMarcus Cousins or another big men.

ryder78c
01-31-2013, 03:52 PM
they should trade Bargs,Derozen,Johnson for Millsap,jefferson works for both teams C Jefferson / PF Millsap/ SF Gay / SG Ross / PG Lowry

OceanSpray
01-31-2013, 04:33 PM
How would I built around Rudy Gay? I would keep Gay, Lowry, and DeRozan and package Bargnani along with some players and 1st round draft picks for a good big men like DeMarcus Cousins or another big men.

Cousins isn't worth Gay, Lowry, and DeRozan. Also, his attitude is a huge no-no for coaches. That devalues his worth.

Ill21
01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Gay Love Sessions

imbetterthanyou
01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Gay Love Sessions

BAHAHAH....that was greatttt

TylerSL
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
For a team to be serious contenders, Rudy Gay cant be the #1 option.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't think Gay is a building block, I think he is a complementary piece whose touches need to be limited.

C_Mund
01-31-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't know of anybody (including, I'd assume Colangelo) who expects us to compete for a 'chip in the next two years. This is obviously a move to make the playoffs so that when the time comes and we have some expirings in the future, we have a bit of a culture to build around and maybe (....just MAYBE...) we could lure a decent free agent.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2013, 05:36 PM
I don't know anybody (including Colangelo) who expects us to compete for a 'chip in the next two years. This is obviously a move to make the playoffs so that when the time comes and we have some expirings in the future, we have a bit of a culture to build around and maybe (....just MAYBE...) we could lure a decent free agent.

you need to unload Bargnani to have cap room anytime in the next 3 years.

C_Mund
01-31-2013, 05:38 PM
you need to unload Bargnani to have cap room anytime in the next 3 years.

I think they're already looking into that. Plus Kleiza is probably the most well-known amnesty candidate in the league coming up.

.....by the way, thanks for not commenting on how it looks like I said I know BC or what he thinks, that came out entirely wrong.

Wolfman01
01-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Cousins isn't worth Gay, Lowry, and DeRozan. Also, his attitude is a huge no-no for coaches. That devalues his worth.

Please reread what I wrote I said I will keep Gay, Lowry, and DeRozan I never said anything about trading any of them.

kozelkid
01-31-2013, 05:45 PM

You don't; you avoid him.

I have absolutely no clue what Colangelo is aiming at here and I don't think he does either.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2013, 05:47 PM
I think they're already looking into that. Plus Kleiza is probably the most well-known amnesty candidate in the league coming up.

.....by the way, thanks for not commenting on how it looks like I said I know BC or what he thinks, that came out entirely wrong.

Ah, I forgot you hadn't used your amnesty. That helps. But what are you doing about PG after next season? I mean, that is a long time, perhaps you draft one and pray, or else that is where you FA money will be headed.

TheNumber37
01-31-2013, 06:15 PM
surround him with better players, then bring him off the bench.

JasonJohnHorn
01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
The best way to build around Gay it to bring in a nice PF that can post up and rebound, say Z-Bo, then bring in a C that can pass, like Marc Gasol, and get a PG like Mike Conley distributing the ball and sign a defensive minded SG like Tony Allen, and then I think you have a great line up.

Hellcrooner
01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
The best way to build around Gay it to bring in a nice PF that can post up and rebound, say Z-Bo, then bring in a C that can pass, like Marc Gasol, and get a PG like Mike Conley distributing the ball and sign a defensive minded SG like Tony Allen, and then I think you have a great line up.

too bad in that scenario he was the 3rd or 4th wheel if they really wanted to succeed :D

Corey
01-31-2013, 06:28 PM
You dont build around Gay.

Chronz
01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
But if you dont build around Gay whats the point in trading for him? People saying hes more of a role player, but how can that be if he didn't succeed in Memphis in that role? Maybe thats more on Memphis, for their inability to incorporate all the "Stars" they have. But I think its pretty clear you have to try and max out Gay's production in Toronto.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-31-2013, 07:12 PM
*insert joke*

da ThRONe
01-31-2013, 10:21 PM
I could see a trade where the Lakers move Gasol for Bargnani/Derozan.

Andrea fits more of D'Antoni style of play and they may see Demar as a potential replacement for Kobe. Clearly Howard or Gasol has to go and there's no way they choose Gasol over Howard.