PDA

View Full Version : NBA/European expansion team RUMORED list....

Everymanalion
01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
According to the rumors coming from the NBA's new partnership agreement with the Euroleague, that they just signed (NBA will be involved in the Euroleague Final Four marketing and promotion now).......

these are the cities that the NBA is targeting for a 12-16 team NBA Europe Division.

Spain

Barcelona

Madrid

Turkey

Istanbul

Greece

Athens

Germany

Berlin

United Kingdom

London

France

Paris

Italy

Milan

Rome

Russia

Moscow

These cities are also under consideration:

Israel

Tel Aviv

Jerusalem

France

Lyon

Germany

Munich

Again, this is just rumored but its been popping up elsewhere online as well lately...

Muttman73
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
That would be very cool

Everymanalion
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Again this is just rumored and it just seems like whoever made this list just listed all the big cities/countries in Europe ha but eh, take it with a grain of salt.

GunFactor187
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
If the NBA were to have a European League it should only be European exclusive, no crossover with the Association here in the States.

Everymanalion
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I think that would be a good idea to keep them apart but the NBA might make SO much more money if they had Kobe/KD/Lebron going over there, the amount of basketball fans worldwide is being horrible under-utilized from a NBA marketing standpoint, I think YAO and Jeremy Lin really showed the NBA the potential in international marketing and the money to be made...

But then again what do I know? Im just some internet forum dude. ha

SMH!
01-30-2013, 03:30 PM
not spain

king4day
01-30-2013, 03:35 PM
If the NBA were to have a European League it should only be European exclusive, no crossover with the Association here in the States.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing the winners of each league play a 'friendly' during their offseasons.
As long as this doesn't cross into the US NBA I'm ok with it.

king4day
01-30-2013, 03:36 PM
I bet some players in the EuroNBA would wind up making more money than some stars here. They're seen differently there in some cases.

Hellcrooner
01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
im missing teams on the ex Yugoslavian countrys in that list.

ThaDubs
01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Just leave the NBA the way it is...

mdm692
01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Nice.

2-ONE-5
01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
this would be pretty cool creating an NBA Europe add maybe like a best of 3 or something after both seasons.

torocan
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
this would be pretty cool creating an NBA Europe add maybe like a best of 3 or something after both seasons.

Well, if you're going to do a cross continent marketing competition, something like the World Cup or Euro cup every 4 years wouldn't be terrible.

Sure, the US teams would dominate for several decades, but some league teams would eventually improve just due to the amount of money generated.

Quinnsanity
01-30-2013, 04:11 PM

I agree. Road teams would be at a severe disadvantage traveling to Europe and vice versa, players wouldn't want to play there, it just seems like a bad idea to have an actual NBA team in Europe.

Six-8-TheWizard
01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing the winners of each league play a 'friendly' during their offseasons.
As long as this doesn't cross into the US NBA I'm ok with it.

Maybe make it like the NL/AL in baseball?

Teams mostly play within their own leagues during the season and then the champs from each side play at the end

Six-8-TheWizard
01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Nice.

Your Sig :laugh2:

pinhead
01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
This would be cool. In 10 years England will the home of the NBA and NFL

yaswaggin
01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
This would be cool. In 10 years England will the home of the NBA and NFL

:laugh2:

GunFactor187
01-30-2013, 04:25 PM
I propose a 4 region superleague:

* Our current NBA
* Pan-European
* Pan-Asian/Oceanic League
* South American/African League

Have every team in all the leagues play 82 games (41 home/41 away) in intraleague play every regular season, after each respective playoffs and Finals, the champions of each league will enter into a "World Basketball Grand Prix" taking place at a neutral location of sorts to crown a World Champion of Basketball.

archdevil84
01-30-2013, 04:31 PM
waarom niet nederlands utrecht of amsterdam ofzo ? :(

Lab Rat Robby
01-30-2013, 04:32 PM
i could see it happening but i dunno about a whole european division right off the bat. a london/madrid for the east, beijing/sydney for the west deal would be interesting. i listened to the david stern press conference before the london knicks/pistons game the other day. he stated, a bit brutally honestly, that italy is out for now. he said they didn't have anywhere close to an nba ready arena. here's a link to a youtube video with greg anthony and sports writer dude who bring up the arena issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpDKMqBQ_yU in the video they also basically write european expansion off based on travel issues. i actually think the travel could work. the solution is very carefully planning out those overseas teams schedule. i think a solution would be those far east/west teams face their divisional opponents in a all at once series. home court alternates yearly. so new york and london have a series in new york, then london has a few games out west (maybe even a game in la against beijing or sydney). then they go home and toronto, philly come to them for those series. then they come back twice more for brooklyn and boston in road trip similar to the one they had when they faced new york. in between and after brooklyn boston road trips, they could play teams like the wizards, magic, bobcats, heat. those non-divisional conference games would be mini-series games where one team has home court in alternating years. the following season would write itself. it wouldn't be so much more grueling than current schedules, might actually be more friendly based on the long road and long home stretches, and it's consistency. playoffs would be where it gets tricky. those overseas teams would do a number on a playoff schedule.

lakers4sho
01-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Please leave euroleague alone. They actually play basketball there.

JEDean89
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
there should be some sort of competition between the us and euroleagues just don't know what it should like. a division is 5 teams, not 12-16 maybe a conference in europe or something? i dunno, its a very complicated issue and feel like they should wait for faster travel times.

SINCESTARBURY25
01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
The Barcelona Bulls. Too bad Chicago has that name it fits very well.

jsthornton7
01-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't think they mean that NBA Europe teams will play in the same league as NBA teams.

They are talking about creating a separate league under the NBA logo in Europe. BIG DIFFERENCE

It would be great if each NBA team had an affiliate team.

kingkenny01
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
it would be cool to see a champions league type thing best team from every country compete in a yearly tournament

Hellcrooner
01-30-2013, 10:25 PM
it would be cool to see a champions league type thing best team from every country compete in a yearly tournament

there is.
Its called EUROLEAGUE, and works exclty like soccers CL.

knicks=love
01-31-2013, 12:59 AM
if there isn't a team out of budapest, hungary, i'm not a fan of this expansion division.

SACNYY
01-31-2013, 01:05 AM
They already have the Timberwolves and the Raptors. They're pretty much Euro teams.

SugeKnight
01-31-2013, 01:05 AM
Talent on most teams is thin already. Imagine teams like the Suns losing talent to teams overseas

SACNYY
01-31-2013, 01:07 AM
Nice avatar^