PDA

View Full Version : Source: Expectation Growing For Josh Smith Trade

king4day
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Expectations are growing that the Hawks will trade forward Josh Smith, a source said. Smith has averaged 17 points, 8.6 rebounds. 4.7 assists and 2.1 blocks this month despite the trade speculation. ~ Marc Spears

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-power-rankings--spurs-are-new-no--1-174735180.html;_ylt=AmHdpyaMmz8DdDDBJNizMiYLcykA;_ ylu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dG hvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTJmMmsxanZ2BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnMEdGVzdA NHcmFuZHNsYW1fT25fSW50ZXJuYWw-;_ylv=3

This is news to me. Anyone have ideas of who may make a serious run at him?

AI
01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Dallas and Orlando.

uprightciti
01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Dallas and Orlando.

LOL what?!?! for who?

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Orl? your off your rocker what use would we have for Josh Smith? we are rebuilding and we def don't need him in our rebuilding plans

king4day
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Like the Suns with Nash, it might be too late to trade him for anything that'll help with the future.

Maybe to the Cavs for Tristan Thompson and change (assuming he'd resign)? It'll really depend on what Atlanta is looking to get in return.

The other side of this is, does he truly expect to get a max deal?

mightybosstone
01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I've heard Houston is in the mix and it makes sense on paper, but I want nothing to do with Josh Smith. He's as inefficient offensively as it gets at PF and he's going to want a max contract as soon as he gets dealt, which he isn't even close to being worth. His skill set and athleticism make me want him, because I think McHale can work with him more in the post and keep him from shooting jump shots 20 feet from the basket. Then I remind myself that he's been in the league for nine seasons and still hasn't figured that out. Whoever trades for him will regret it.

Blink
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Dont see to much value imo

GREATNESS ONE
01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Idk but I got a gut feeling it's coming very soon.

reffahead
01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
"A source" not sources or Woj, until than it's just rumors. Josh does have bad shot selection but the Hawks employ a jump shooting offense. It's perfect for a bigman who can shoot like Horford. Not so much for Josh. Whenever he's called upon to post up, he's solid but this year he's struggling on his hook shot.

At Denver or Houston, he would be beastly. His points and rebounds stats are avg compared to all star players but his true value lies in other aspects of the game. If he didn't provide those other intangibles than he would be just a Carl Landry type of impact player.

He's really a small forward now since he went from 240 to 220 last season. Even after a down year he's 8th in scoring, 2nd in rebounds, 5th in assists, and tops in blocks among SFs in the league. The scoring will go up a ton, he usually explodes after the all star break.

LTBaByyy
01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Marion + Kaman +Wright for Smith and Zaza

Teague
Korver
Marion
Horford
Kaman

Collison
Mayo
Smith
Dirk
Zaza (Bynum, Howard, or Jefferson in FA)

Yunqn
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
If he wants max ..NO ONE should want him.. Stop overrating this guy..

Hes arguably one of the worst players to watch .. People complain about pau & guys like boozer being soft but how do they average more rebounds and probably more points in the paint then a guy that plays with attitude or athleticism ? Either hes soft or dumb to keep taking shots that he probably doesnt even see go in in practice..
He needs a pop or a thibs to sit him down to show him he needs to earn his stay on the court & stop wasting plays by thinking your dirk..play your game because you can be great at it..

Yunqn
01-30-2013, 12:03 PM
I've heard Houston is in the mix and it makes sense on paper, but I want nothing to do with Josh Smith. He's as inefficient offensively as it gets at PF and he's going to want a max contract as soon as he gets dealt, which he isn't even close to being worth. His skill set and athleticism make me want him, because I think McHale can work with him more in the post and keep him from shooting jump shots 20 feet from the basket. Then I remind myself that he's been in the league for nine seasons and still hasn't figured that out. Whoever trades for him will regret it.

Houston 3 years from now will likely be paying a pretending team alot of money..they should go after a true low post guy..

ugafan
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM

Teague
Korver
Marion
Horford
Kaman

Collison
Mayo
Smith
Dirk

If we trade Smith, it won't be for trash. We're going to want picks or young players in return.

Badluck33
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Smith for Howard makes to much sense to me.

Both those guys would re-sign with their new teams at seasons end so it seems like a no-brainer.

uprightciti
01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b4w8vbz

ManRam
01-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Dallas and Orlando.

God no. Luckily I don't think our GM is dumb enough.

There aren't really many/any contenders out there who I think could use him. They're all pretty set at PF.

So yeah, I have no idea who's interested in him. I think only a handful of teams should be interested in signing him long term.

Rockice_8
01-30-2013, 12:45 PM
I know ATL had their eye on Marshawn Brooks when they dealt Johnson so maybe a Hump/Brooks/1st for Smith would work. We all know the Nets would give him the big deal too since they are cap strapped for the next 4 years.

I didn't think that would get it done but seeing some of these offers getting thrown around here are garbage so maybe there is a chance.

ManRam
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM

The Kings might be dumb, but they aren't that dumb.

Smith for Howard makes to much sense to me.

Both those guys would re-sign with their new teams at seasons end so it seems like a no-brainer.

Hmm...build around Dwight Howard for the next 6 or so years or build around Josh Smith for the next 6 or so years? I think LA will take their chances with Dwight.

Atlanta would be better off just letting Smith walk than do that.

Rockice_8
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM

Teague
Korver
Marion
Horford
Kaman

Collison
Mayo
Smith
Dirk

Wow that's terrible. A bunch of guys past their primes and a young bench big for Smith and Zaza. Zaza is a good big so they're not just gonna throw him in.

A DAL trade starts with Mayo if they want any chance of landing Smith.

beasted86
01-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Trade Idea, 3 team trade: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b6ptoft

Atlanta:
Out - Josh Smith
In - Rudy Gay + Philly 1st

PG: Teague
SG: Stevenson
SF: Gay
PF: Horford
C:: Pachulia

Memphis:
Out - Rudy Gay
In - Thaddeus Young + Royal Ivey

PG: Conley
SG: Allen
SF: Young
PF: Randolph
C:: Gasol

Philly:
Out - Thaddeus Young + Royal Ivey + 1st
In - Josh Smith

PG: Holiday
SG: Richardson
SF: Turner
PF: Smith
C:: Bynum

reffahead
01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Atlanta has enough space to sign Mayo and Dwight if that scenario arises. No point in trading for either. Dallas is a terrible trading partner.

Ferry wants high draft picks and expirers. Not interested in deals that run past this season. He has the time to slowly build with cap space until 2014 if he chooses so draft picks and cap flexibility is a priority. Ferry has total autonomy to run this franchise the way he likes so losing Josh for nothing is not a total loss in his eyes.

dee279
01-30-2013, 01:20 PM

Atlanta:
Out - Josh Smith

Memphis:
Out - Rudy Gay

Philly:
In - Josh Smith

Actually the best trade i seen so far

ManRam
01-30-2013, 01:20 PM

Atlanta:
Out - Josh Smith

Memphis:
Out - Rudy Gay

Philly:
In - Josh Smith

Atlanta could use the money they'd be paying Gay a lot better in free agency. They're gonna enter this offseason with under $20M in contracts. Trading for an overpaid (max) player in Rudy Gay probably isn't something they're too eager to be doing.

But maybe I'm unfairly harsh on Gay. I just know I wouldn't want him on my team the next two seasons making almost $40 million total. Not worth it...not at all.

JiffyMix88
01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Seeing how he signed a contract with the Clippers while he was a restricted free agent in 2008 and they have the pieces to trade for him now....don't be surprised

Celticsfan2007
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ag4alnn

Knick_Fever
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM

Atlanta:
Out - Josh Smith

Memphis:
Out - Rudy Gay

Philly:
In - Josh Smith

I like the trade but Memphis would instantly reject. Simple fact is they would see Gay as superior to Young. Maybe if you threw in Hawes to complete the package.

trentman1155
01-30-2013, 01:41 PM

THEY WILL BLOW IT UP

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ab9fb2h

trentman1155
01-30-2013, 01:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bg6l9yb

ManRam
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ag4alnn

Is this for real?

Again, they're better off letting Smith walk and freeing up that 14 million dollars.

sep11ie
01-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Houston 3 years from now will likely be paying a pretending team alot of money..they should go after a true low post guy..

Care to explain what you mean about that?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Just going to say this now, whoever does land him will probably end up overpaying, big time.

reffahead
01-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Houston should sign Al Jefferson for as low as possible and work a sign and trade for Josh. T. Jones, Parsons, and Patrick Patterson. Try to get a 3rd team involved to get picks for Atlanta.

Lin
Harden
Smoove
Jefferson
Asik

Three point shooting takes a hit but just about dominant in every other area. They'll get 40 free throws a game.

sixer04fan
01-30-2013, 02:30 PM
If he would agree to an extension, I would consider trading Evan Turner and Thad Young for him. Any interest, Atlanta?

I hate Josh Smith as a number 1 option, but as a third option/complimentary player to Jrue and Bynum, I think he could be great. That would be a formidable trio IF you have a healthy Bynum.

Stinkyoutsider
01-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Josh Smith is a hard guy to figure out a value on? He gives a lot to a team but his offensive range leaves a lot to be desired. If he were 6'10", he would have much more value. But he's a tweener and now since he's lost weight, he looks even more like a SF. But there's not too many starting SFs that can't shoot from the outside.

He reminds me a lot of a smaller Joakim Noah. Is very good defensively, brings a lot of energy, very athletic, can finish at the rim, but has problems with shooting. I think Smith has so many intangibles but when it comes down to value for Smith, a lot of us still point out that he can't shoot, which is needed for a player his size in today's NBA.

I would like to say Dallas just because they're in a mood to deal and have an owner who will pay. As far as playoff teams he could help, I'm not sure? Also, this guy is known to have attitude issues when things aren't going well. I think he needs an old school like coach like Pop who won't tolerate the attitude.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Hawks keep him this season and Howard doesn't resign with LA? Howard and Smith are best friends and I think the Hawks might be clearing out even more cap space so these 2 guys could possibly play together. Imo, Smith isn't the demanding type in the low post so Howard would be the number 1 option and would be comfortable and happy because he's the number 1 and has his best friend playing with him. Something to think about...

shen
01-30-2013, 03:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=abs9s5g

Portland gets the 6th man we have been desperately searching for. As well as a serviceable C for rest the year.

Atlanta gets some youth and any picks think required to finish the deal.
(Hickson gets to go to his hometown)

76ers get Smith and some expirings. If Bynum comes back that is one hell of a 1-2 punch, if he doesn't then at least lessens the blow a bit (Assuming Smith re-signs).

bringinwood
01-30-2013, 03:13 PM
If he would agree to an extension, I would consider trading Evan Turner and Thad Young for him. Any interest, Atlanta?

I hate Josh Smith as a number 1 option, but as a third option/complimentary player to Jrue and Bynum, I think he could be great. That would be a formidable trio IF you have a healthy Bynum.

Smoove to Philly makes too much sense...

They are trying to build a contender and can you imagine a healthy bynum paired with Smith down on the block...

They would lead the league in blocks for the next five years...

Lake_Show2416
01-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Atlanta:
Out - Josh Smith

Memphis:
Out - Rudy Gay

Philly:
In - Josh Smith

Looks like a good deal for all teams, I just dont kno if the Sixers want to give up Young who makes an alright salary for someone they'll have to give the max to, they already r taking a huge chance on Bynum

Chi~TwnHawksFan
01-30-2013, 04:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=awhf24r

reffahead
01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Houston should sign Al Jefferson for as low as possible and work a sign and trade for Josh. T. Jones, Parsons, and Patrick Patterson. Try to get a 3rd team involved to get picks for Atlanta.

Lin
Harden
Smoove
Jefferson
Asik

Three point shooting takes a hit but just about dominant in every other area. They'll get 40 free throws a game.

Been told Houston has actually closer to just 19 million in cap space instead of 24. Whoops.

jason17
01-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Wizards will get him idk we will make a splash thought it be rudy.

Avenged
01-30-2013, 11:09 PM
How do they say he'll be traded but not mention any team? :confused:

effen5
01-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Smith is ****in overrated.

raptorsfan2012
01-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Raptors...Bargnani and 2015 1st for josh smith

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Smith
Valuncunias

Tmath
01-30-2013, 11:38 PM

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Smith
Valuncunias

We don't have a pick to trade and if we did, I still wouldn't make that deal.

Andrea for Smith straight up is a different story.

koreancabbage
01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
he seemed pretty unmotivated to me during the game. at times, he doesn't give a crap.

diu9leilomo
01-31-2013, 12:56 AM
he seemed pretty unmotivated to me during the game. at times, he doesn't give a crap.

i have a feeling hes coming to TO.

BC is scouting him tonight in the game, hes good friend with gay, and actually the hawks need a stretch 4 to play with horford

TrueFan420
01-31-2013, 01:26 AM

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Smith
Valuncunias

That team has zero outside shooting

BHF
01-31-2013, 02:55 AM
That team has zero outside shooting

not true Lowry and Gay are both good shooters

idrinkpepsi
01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
not true Lowry and Gay are both good shooters

You do realize how bad Gay has been at shooting this year, don't you?

reffahead
01-31-2013, 03:01 AM
20 - 11 - 3 - 3 - 3 is unmotivated to some Raps fan(s). Probably was irked by letting a DLeague scrub like Lucas get his season high. A reoccurring trend with the poor perimeter defense of the Atlanta back court all season long.

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2013, 03:10 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=abs9s5g

Portland gets the 6th man we have been desperately searching for. As well as a serviceable C for rest the year.

Atlanta gets some youth and any picks think required to finish the deal.
(Hickson gets to go to his hometown)

76ers get Smith and some expirings. If Bynum comes back that is one hell of a 1-2 punch, if he doesn't then at least lessens the blow a bit (Assuming Smith re-signs).

If there was a way to get a pick out of this I would say yes.

canzano55
01-31-2013, 11:04 AM
20 - 11 - 3 - 3 - 3 is unmotivated to some Raps fan(s). Probably was irked by letting a DLeague scrub like Lucas get his season high. A reoccurring trend with the poor perimeter defense of the Atlanta back court all season long.Just be happy you won the game despite the refs handing it to you.

the brave eagle
01-31-2013, 11:33 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bzejyht i might do that

UPRock
01-31-2013, 11:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bzejyht i might do that

Philadelphia won't do that.

TheNumber37
01-31-2013, 12:04 PM
I like him in Houston or Boston.

reffahead
01-31-2013, 12:05 PM
There are Evan Turner and Thad Young caliber talent in this draft. I wouldn't do it either.

DRE'-MAC
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Pattrick Patterson, Toney Douglas, Cole Aldrich, and Terrence Jones for Josh Smith, Mike Scott, and Anthony Tolliver.

Rapsfanforlife
01-31-2013, 12:50 PM
I can see Toronto going after him...with Klieza, Derozan, Bargs, Fields and more...they have the pieces to get it done...whether or not Atlanta will do it is completely another story

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Would Detroit be interested in giving up 1 of their centers (throw in Stuckey or another contract if you want) for Smith, and a 1st?

levignjw
01-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Would Detroit be interested in giving up 1 of their centers (throw in Stuckey or another contract if you want) for Smith, and a 1st?

If by one of their centers you mean Viacheslav Kravtsov, sure ;) ....if not, no thanks.

RipCity32
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM

Not at all