PDA

View Full Version : Rank Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in these different categories

Purch
01-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Offensive schemes:
Defensive schemes:
In game adjustments:
Rotations:
Developing young talent:
Managing egos:
Adjusting to aging rosters:
Calling plays out of a time out in crucial situations:

LAKobeBryant
01-30-2013, 12:43 AM
ten out of ten

Longhornfan1234
01-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Offsensive schemes: Phil >

Defensive schemes: Riley >

In game situation: Pop >

Developing young talent: Pop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Managing egos: Phil >

Adjusting to aging rosters: Pop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Calling plays out of a time out in crucial situations: Pop >>>>>>>>>>>>

JEDean89
01-30-2013, 01:27 AM
imo pop did the most with the talent he was given

Quinnsanity
01-30-2013, 10:12 AM
What makes Riley so special in my mind is how he was able to succeed with such different rosters. In LA with the showtime Lakers she built a team that ran up and down the court and scored more points than anyone. Then he goes to New York and builds a team that does the exact opposite, they played great defense and bullied people. Not to say Phil and Pop couldn't have done the same thing, but I've always respected him for that. He doesn't have a scheme and then force players into it, he builds a system around his players. He's like the anti D'antoni in that regard.

Purch
01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
What makes Riley so special in my mind is how he was able to succeed with such different rosters. In LA with the showtime Lakers she built a team that ran up and down the court and scored more points than anyone. Then he goes to New York and builds a team that does the exact opposite, they played great defense and bullied people. Not to say Phil and Pop couldn't have done the same thing, but I've always respected him for that. He doesn't have a scheme and then force players into it, he builds a system around his players. He's like the anti D'antoni in that regard.

True but with Pop being the longest running coach of one team, in all of pro sports, there's something to be said about an organizations confidence in your abilty to adjust to change in your roster.

JiffyMix88
01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
imo pop did the most with the talent he was given

Talking about arguably the greatest pf of all time? or the argentin that won a gold medal in 04?

with all of them I would like to see them win with the bobcats roster.

jsthornton7
01-30-2013, 01:33 PM

Well you're not biased LOL

Purch
01-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Talking about arguably the greatest pf of all time? or the argentin that won a gold medal in 04?

For coaches who can develop young tallent, the current Bobcats roster wouldn't be that bad long term.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Oh you mean the Argentine that was the last pick in the draft? Or the 18 year old PG from France who couldn't make any shot outside of a wide open lay up?

ThuglifeJ
01-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh you mean the Argentine that was the last pick in the draft? Or the 18 year old PG from France who couldn't make any shot outside of a wide open lay up?

+1

not to mention everyone except like Richard Jefferson becomes a smarter more succesfull player under Popavich. Think of all the recent success even: Jackson, Blair, Lenoard, Green, NEAL, old *** Parker, Duncan.. All guys who were to amount to half of the success they've had.
They say Phil is so good at managing egos but im sure Kobe/Shaq would have respected and done just as well under Popavich. You can't tell me Popavich isn't as good at managing egos..Shaq and Kobe weren't the best of friends. Did he really manage the whole Payton, Malone, Kobe, Shaq team well (I could be wrong if he wasnt coaching that year I forget).

Pop is definitely smarter imo, he's just less of an ******* than Jackson which isn't an asset imo when it comes to basketball.

being an A-hole is a must.

ThuglifeJ
01-30-2013, 04:50 PM
how is Phil's offensive schemes better than Popavich's. The triangle was great and worked but the reason why it worked so well was cuz Shaq was a dominant beast. Put Shaq under Popavich you get just as many rings.. The Spurs offensive schemes scare the crap outa me and they don't even have that much talent. Some plays I see drawn up are so flawless it's literally got nothing to do with players being good. Duncan is so slow and worthless on any other roster imo. I can't think of any names off the top of my head of players who left San Antonio and did better.

koberulesall
01-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Phil Jackson

every other coach

JEDean89
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM
pop had duncan

phil had kobe, jordan and shaq

kdspurman
01-30-2013, 08:49 PM
how is Phil's offensive schemes better than Popavich's. The triangle was great and worked but the reason why it worked so well was cuz Shaq was a dominant beast. Put Shaq under Popavich you get just as many rings.. The Spurs offensive schemes scare the crap outa me and they don't even have that much talent. Some plays I see drawn up are so flawless it's literally got nothing to do with players being good. Duncan is so slow and worthless on any other roster imo. I can't think of any names off the top of my head of players who left San Antonio and did better.

The plays he's able to draw up out of timeouts are so impressive most of the times, I definitely agree with you. And sometimes doing it for young guys like Neal & Green which catches the defense totally off balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bmTqeVdwP44#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90s0HgvjHV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp0TT58gda4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fJr_nR1dkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG0gkXFsk6c

BTW, Duncan is not slow and worthless on any other roster :) Pop manages his minutes so well, but the guy knows how to play the game of basketball pretty well.

kdspurman
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Dp.

LAKERMANIA
01-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Offensive schemes: Phil
Defensive schemes: Riley
In game adjustments: Phil
Rotations: Pop
Developing young talent: Pop
Managing egos: Phil
Adjusting to aging rosters: Pop/Phil
Calling plays out of a time out in crucial situations: Phil/Pop

NoUseForAName
01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
pop had duncan

phil had kobe, jordan and shaq

He also had some scrug named David Robinson. Doubt you heard of him though.

ThuglifeJ
01-31-2013, 01:30 AM
Svg >

TRF929
01-31-2013, 03:04 AM

Pop in most categories IMO

Pops done most with lesser talent Duncan and aging Robinson, turned Parker and Gino into the players they are today, wouldn't be what they are if on different team.
Phil, I'm not going to bash him but what has he done without the top player in bball? Prime Jordan, prime Kobe, prime Shaq and there are plenty of other players to be included in that list that were all stars.

LAcowBOMBER
01-31-2013, 03:44 AM
I think it's pretty ridiculous to give Pop so much credit for Parker and Ginobli. Sure he helped there development, but he didn't make scrubs into great players. They would probably be in a similar place on any team that played them

JEDean89
01-31-2013, 05:18 AM

and jacson had some "scrugs"? named pau gasol, rodman and pippen but none of those players are on the level that jordan, kobe and duncan are (the faces of dynasties) so i didn't list em.

Teufelshunde4
01-31-2013, 06:29 AM
Offensive schemes:
Defensive schemes:
In game adjustments:
Rotations:
Developing young talent:
Managing egos:
Adjusting to aging rosters:
Calling plays out of a time out in crucial situations:

Offense Pop
Defense PJ
Develop Talent Pop
Managing Egos PJ
Adjust to roster PJ
Play calling/ TO PJ Jackson was the master of teaching his teams to ride out rough patches without calling TO. How often did Bulls/Lakers teams coached by Jackson take advantage of this? Close game and opposing team misses a shot and fully expect PJ coached team to get the ball to half court and call TO.. Thus relaxing on D just enough to get out of position and then the Bulls/Lakers would create a mismatch and would score at a crucial time of the game..

IMO Riley was a very overrated coach.. People who didnt see the Showtime Lakers play think it was all offense that was the backbone of those teams.. Those teams were very tough physically and played very tough D.. It has always gotten overlooked... Those were not soft teams by any means.. The Lakers of '00, '01,02 were butter compared to 80's Showtime.

Purch
02-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Offense Pop
Defense PJ
Develop Talent Pop
Managing Egos PJ
Adjust to roster PJ
Play calling/ TO PJ Jackson was the master of teaching his teams to ride out rough patches without calling TO. How often did Bulls/Lakers teams coached by Jackson take advantage of this? Close game and opposing team misses a shot and fully expect PJ coached team to get the ball to half court and call TO.. Thus relaxing on D just enough to get out of position and then the Bulls/Lakers would create a mismatch and would score at a crucial time of the game..

IMO Riley was a very overrated coach.. People who didnt see the Showtime Lakers play think it was all offense that was the backbone of those teams.. Those teams were very tough physically and played very tough D.. It has always gotten overlooked... Those were not soft teams by any means.. The Lakers of '00, '01,02 were butter compared to 80's Showtime.

Your statement about Riley doesn't really connect with your statement about showtime

DR_1
02-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Where is Thibs?

Stunner
02-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Where is Thibs?

Not yet but soon

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Phil>Pat>Pop

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Offensive schemes: Phil
Defensive schemes: Riley
In game adjustments: Phil
Rotations: Pop
Developing young talent: Pop
Managing egos: Phil
Adjusting to aging rosters: Pop/Phil
Calling plays out of a time out in crucial situations: Phil/Pop

"Rotations:Pop"

No, Pops rotations at times are just horrible. No way he wins that category

Purch
02-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Everytime I watch people get interviewed, and asked questions about Pop, the one thing that they always harp about is the fact that Pop treats everyone the same in practice. Meaning that he'll treat Tim, and Bonner the same, no ones exempt from criticism. It's not like Mike Brown just saying Lebron/Kobe could do whatever they want. How many times have we seen Pop, let Tony have it in the middle of games. In fact Pop saids he's always been harder on his stars, simply because he expects a lot out of them.