PDA

View Full Version : Will there ever be another Gilbert Arenas...?

aLau10
01-29-2013, 07:11 PM
I don't know about you guys, but Gilbert Arenas was definitely one of my favorite players of all time. And I don't mean to overrate him or give him too much credit for what he has done throughout his career.

However, in his prime, Gilbert was known for hitting big shots. He was also so confident to the point where in a few games he can turn around and start walking back after launching up his shot.
Here's one of the games to show those who haven't seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upjWBobZlns

There are several more aspects of his game which we should respect but this is where I meant to differentiate him with other players. Will there ever be a player that is as CONFIDENT as he was in his shots?

Let me know what you guys think.

P.S. I don't really like Kyrie Irving, I respect his game and hes a good player, but I just never liked him. Nonetheless, I do feel Kyrie might potentially be that type of player Agent 0 was.

Sactown
01-29-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't know about you guys, but Gilbert Arenas was definitely one of my favorite players of all time. And I don't mean to overrate him or give him too much credit for what he has done throughout his career.

However, in his prime, Gilbert was known for hitting big shots. He was also so confident to the point where in a few games he can turn around and start walking back after launching up his shot.

There are several more aspects of his game which we should respect but this is where I meant to differentiate him with other players. Will there ever be a player that is as CONFIDENT as he was in his shots?

P.S. I don't really like Kyrie Irving, I respect his game and hes a good player, but I just never liked him. Nonetheless, I do feel Kyrie might potentially be that type of player Agent 0 was.

Russel Westbrook is about as confident as anyone in the league that his shot is going in.. Gilbert Arenas was just another PG who would rather shoot than pass the ball and you can see it in his FGA's as they reached in the low 20's in years.. He reminds me of Steve Franchise Francis.. there are plenty of PG's currently who would rather shoot... IE Brandon Jennings, or any PG on the Kings.

cleptopot
01-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Cool story bro

OceanSpray
01-29-2013, 07:48 PM
So you're basing his confidence off of one game where he "walks" away confidently before the ball goes in? If you watch the video again, he clearly turned around after he saw the ball go in.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
McGrady did that before Arenas did.

97NYer
01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Russel Westbrook is about as confident as anyone in the league that his shot is going in.. Gilbert Arenas was just another PG who would rather shoot than pass the ball and you can see it in his FGA's as they reached in the low 20's in years.. He reminds me of Steve Franchise Francis.. there are plenty of PG's currently who would rather shoot... IE Brandon Jennings, or any PG on the Kings.

He averaged 29 at least once

Minimal
01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
His career FG% is 42%, says everything about the guy. Monta Ellis career FG% is 46%, yet they call him a chucker.

aLau10
01-29-2013, 08:21 PM
So you're basing his confidence off of one game where he "walks" away confidently before the ball goes in? If you watch the video again, he clearly turned around after he saw the ball go in.

I'm unsure whether you actually misread what I typed or you are illiterate. I don't mean to pose any offense to you personally, but I do believe I said "Here's ONE of the games".

Lol I'm not quite sure how else I can phrase this questions. When I said CONFIDENT I'm referring to people that shoot the ball and GET IT IN. Arenas chooses to shoot rather than pass because he knows his shots are gonna go in, not that he BELIEVES.

RLundi
01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Ooh, embedded video, I see what you did there.

And if you're asking if there will ever be another cocky, eccentric, but at the same time, stellar player in the league, I'd say yes.

JNoel
01-29-2013, 08:47 PM
How did you embed the video? He must be an admin in disguise.

Hellcrooner
01-29-2013, 08:52 PM
plenty of them.

the players that are difficul tto repeat are those who are completely abnormal.

Like a 6, 9 Pg.

or a 5, 3 dude that manages to be relevant and a starter for a long time.

or a tall dude that averages more blocks than points for his career.

JLynn943
01-29-2013, 08:55 PM
A player supremely confident in his shot? Kobe.

TheNumber37
01-29-2013, 08:59 PM
If Jamal Crawford gets his own team.

Sssmush
01-29-2013, 09:00 PM
him whipping out a gun in the locker room means that his legacy is something like a Latrell Sprewell or something--a very good player who unfortunately made incredibly stupid decisions and will just basically be remembered as an a-hole. Actually I liked Sprewell a lot, and I didn't like that coach he choked, Carlesimo the screamer or whatever; I thought Sprewell got a raw deal from the media, but he did a lot of things to make it worse.

Arenas pulling a gun in the locker room however is way worse than choking a coach, and brands him as an unstable idiot who's not suitable for the NBA or really for society in general. Seriously, if you think about what Arenas might have been thinking at that moment, you realize he must be a complete moron.

Sorry not to argue with your thread. Agent zero was a fine player and at one point was almost as good as Kobe, was dominating the East there for a while.

ThaDubs
01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Kyrie looked like GB the other night with the game winner vs. the Raptors.

mdm692
01-29-2013, 10:02 PM

I get exactly what you're saying bro but I don't think the rest of the forum does then again this thread is not about Lebron/Knicks/Lakers so yeah you're going to get plenty of hate.

Back to the topic he was great to watch the man would literally put up 50 point games like it was nothing. Obviously injuries and stupid decisions destroyed his career but in his prime he was probably on of the best stars to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm2XO28YRYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ap-hsPvUo

yaswaggin
01-29-2013, 11:13 PM
I'd take a prime healthy arenas over rose

SteveNash
01-29-2013, 11:16 PM
him whipping out a gun in the locker room means that his legacy is something like a Latrell Sprewell or something--a very good player who unfortunately made incredibly stupid decisions and will just basically be remembered as an a-hole. Actually I liked Sprewell a lot, and I didn't like that coach he choked, Carlesimo the screamer or whatever; I thought Sprewell got a raw deal from the media, but he did a lot of things to make it worse.

Arenas pulling a gun in the locker room however is way worse than choking a coach, and brands him as an unstable idiot who's not suitable for the NBA or really for society in general. Seriously, if you think about what Arenas might have been thinking at that moment, you realize he must be a complete moron.

Sorry not to argue with your thread. Agent zero was a fine player and at one point was almost as good as Kobe, was dominating the East there for a while.

How the hell is having a gun worse than choking someone?

Anyway, does everyone remember the time Arenas scored 50 against Portland?

Sportfan
01-29-2013, 11:21 PM
His career FG% is 42%, says everything about the guy. Monta Ellis career FG% is 46%, yet they call him a chucker.

Arenas is much more of a shooter.

Prime Gilbert>>Monta

Anyway, Allen Iverson?

Sportfan
01-29-2013, 11:25 PM
I get exactly what you're saying bro but I don't think the rest of the forum does then again this thread is not about Lebron/Knicks/Lakers so yeah you're going to get plenty of hate.

Back to the topic he was great to watch the man would literally put up 50 point games like it was nothing. Obviously injuries and stupid decisions destroyed his career but in his prime he was probably on of the best stars to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm2XO28YRYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ap-hsPvUo

He put up 50 3 times in the 06-07 season. Never did it again...

LAcowBOMBER
01-29-2013, 11:35 PM

There are plenty of people just as if not more confident. He shot 42% for his career too. His confidence bordered on delusional

ewing
01-30-2013, 12:50 AM

I used hold my follow through and back peddle and i played D3

JasonJohnHorn
01-30-2013, 01:31 AM
A score-first PG (or if you prefer, a SG in a PG's body) who shots a low FG% who is given a contract for more than he is work and gets injured and plays himself out of the league? I think the question is: Does the NBA need another Arenas?

b@llhog24
01-30-2013, 01:39 AM

Lillard.

:facepalm: Gilbert was more efficient than Ellis could ever dream of.

I'd take a prime healthy arenas over rose

Yea, Rose hasn't had a year as good as 06 Arenas yet imo.

ewing
01-30-2013, 01:48 AM
A friend of mine played in a summer league where is actually matched with Gilbert one day. He dropped 27. Gilbert did score 53 but he still made me watch grainy *** video of the game.

CavsYanksDuke
01-30-2013, 01:55 AM
Kyrie has played 85 or so games with 5 game winners. That's a hell of a start to his career, much faster than Gilbert. I tried Googling and seeing how many Gilbert had in his prime season, but was it 5 in a season? And that season came after multiple years in the league whereas Irving is putting up the clutch shots early and often. As his team's talent level increases into the middle contenders, he will have more competitive games and more opportunities for important shots.

Ice in his veins, haters making threads...

ewing
01-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Kyrie has played 85 or so games with 5 game winners. That's a hell of a start to his career, much faster than Gilbert. I tried Googling and seeing how many Gilbert had in his prime season, but was it 5 in a season? And that season came after multiple years in the league whereas Irving is putting up the clutch shots early and often. As his team's talent level increases into the middle contenders, he will have more competitive games and more opportunities for important shots.

Tell me about it

LakersIn5
01-30-2013, 02:08 AM
gilbert averaged 30+ one season and has the record of most points scored by an opponent of the lakers. 60!!!!

JesusNYY_Savior
01-30-2013, 02:37 AM
So will there ever be an above average chucker who got his big pay day then check out.. Yeah there will be many more, but none as crazy as gilbert

sventhedog
01-30-2013, 03:24 AM
too many talented confident guards in the league. if arenas was really that special, do you think he would be out of the nba by now?

Ebbs
01-30-2013, 03:33 AM
One of my all time favorites. Guy was awesome to watch

rockbottom2010
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
One of my all time favorites. Guy was awesome to watch

ditto...i actually bought his 2007 all star jersey in the nba store...even though it costed me around 200 dollars...i don't regret it...i hope he makes a comeback someday

aLau10
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by CavsYanksDuke

Tell me about it

IIRC what I said was that, though I dislike Irving I still very much respect his game and I believe I also said he is to be the next Agent 0... If that's called hate then I very much hate a lot of people.

Nonetheless, I don't know if some of you people that have posted on this thread, have ACTUALLY watch him play. But this guy was down right DIRTY and just wetting down shots.

JasonJohnHorn
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
gilbert averaged 30+ one season

Which season was that? And why is that impressive? With his FG%, all that means is that if he did average 30+ (which he didn't), he was just taking a lot of shots. Just about anybody in the league can average 30 a game if you give them enough shots.

mdm692
01-30-2013, 12:45 PM
He put up 50 3 times in the 06-07 season. Never did it again...

And he holds the record for most 40 point games by a Wizard if I'm not mistaken.

Chronz
01-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Usually when people are chuckers they are less efficient. Monta was less efficient than Gilbert was, thats why hes a chucker.

Chronz
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
I used hold my follow through and back peddle and i played D3

Yea but were you making the shot?

ewing
01-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Yea but were you making the shot?

Leave me and you'll find out :)

D-Leethal
01-30-2013, 12:51 PM
There won't be another dude who could drop 60 and subsequently declined faster than anybody in history of the game and brought gats to the lockeroom to threaten a teammate. I agree with the OP.

D-Leethal
01-30-2013, 12:52 PM
That said, there will be plenty of players better than Gilbert Arenas.

GiantsSwaGG
01-30-2013, 12:56 PM
He's a chucker

GiantsSwaGG
01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
There won't be another dude who could drop 60 and subsequently declined faster than anybody in history of the game and brought gats to the lockeroom to threaten a teammate. I agree with the OP.

If you owed me money I'd do the samething. **** being teammates give me my money *****

YoungOne
01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
I liked arenas, his washington team would have been very dangerous if completly healthy just one time

benzni
01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
I hear you. Agent 0 was one of my favorite players in the league. Although he was a chucker, That iconic bank shot three was money