PDA

View Full Version : Heat and cavs favorites to land oden

justinnum1
01-29-2013, 01:44 PM
CBS sports-The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Miami Heat have emerged as the leaders to land former No. 1 pick Greg Oden.
The 7-foot Oden, who hasn't played since Dec. 5, 2009 due to multiple knee injuries, is hoping to take a visit down to Miami to meet with Pat Riley and the Heat in the next week, a source told CBSSports.com.

:)

the_color_finn
01-29-2013, 02:01 PM
CBS sports-The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Miami Heat have emerged as the leaders to land former No. 1 pick Greg Oden.
The 7-foot Oden, who hasn't played since Dec. 5, 2009 due to multiple knee injuries, is hoping to take a visit down to Miami to meet with Pat Riley and the Heat in the next week, a source told CBSSports.com.

Cavs can give him more money and time to get ready, plus Cleveland is closer to his hometown and he went to Ohio State, Miami gives him a chance to win right away...my guess is Riley gives him the full court pressure but Bron pulls him aside and tells him "take your time, get ready, go to Cleveland and develop with Kyrie and I'll see you in 2014" :p

GiantsSwaGG
01-29-2013, 02:02 PM
They need something, bosh is soft and will get exposed by the likes of Noah and Lopez in the playoffs. Could be a good signing cause they need a center badly. That's why I can see Bulls and nets alone knocking out the Heat because the lack of a center.

Hopefully his glass knees holds up

GiantsSwaGG
01-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Cavs can give him more money and time to get ready, plus Cleveland is closer to his hometown and he went to Ohio State, Miami gives him a chance to win right away...my guess is Riley gives him the full court pressure but Bron pulls him aside and tells him "take your time, get ready, go to Cleveland and develop with Kyrie and I'll see you in 2014" :p

Yeah I can see him going after the money

Minimal
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
I think he will take money over a championship ring chance.

kntresistheheat
01-29-2013, 02:12 PM

Your argument is weak. Lebron is from Ohio and he left didn't he? I think Oden is smarter than that, he knows that he is considered as a bust right now and I think he wants to go to a team that is not going to ask to much from him so he can extend his career and win multiple championships. Cleveland is no where near ready to contend, I think pat and lebron will convince him?

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
GET EM AT A DISCOUNT!! lol

kntresistheheat
01-29-2013, 02:14 PM

Can you post the link?

29$JerZ
01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
I actually could see Oden going to Cleveland instead of Miami.

GiantsSwaGG
01-29-2013, 02:17 PM

Me too

D-Leethal
01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
I think Cleveland would be a smarter decision for him personally. Less pressure to perform right off the bat, a great young superstar, young supporting cast, close to home and the ability to re-learn the NBA game.

Can he play this year, or is this all speculation for next season?

--23--
01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
I think Phoenix would be a smarter decision

thephoenixson28
01-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Phoenix should be his first option. Especially with Oneal out.

Steelers23_06
01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
If he wants to stay healthy Miami is the best option. He would have to do less so his chances of getting injured are smaller. He could slowly work his way on court because Miami doesn't NEED him. Cle is in desperate need of a C now the Andy is out.

emman03
01-29-2013, 02:34 PM
in cleveland = more money more playing time more chance to re-injury less money to earn (short nba career)
in miami = less money a decent playing time less chance of re-injury, more years to come more money to come, instant ring more endorsement not that much difficult job just to rebound and block shots

if you're oden where would you going to sign??? is it difficult to pick between that two teams??

Nick O
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
They need something, bosh is soft and will get exposed by the likes of Noah and Lopez in the playoffs. Could be a good signing cause they need a center badly. That's why I can see Bulls and nets alone knocking out the Heat because the lack of a center.

Hopefully his glass knees holds up

loool noah wont expose bosh

the_color_finn
01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Your argument is weak. Lebron is from Ohio and he left didn't he? I think Oden is smarter than that, he knows that he is considered as a bust right now and I think he wants to go to a team that is not going to ask to much from him so he can extend his career and win multiple championships. Cleveland is no where near ready to contend, I think pat and lebron will convince him?

Would it make financial sense for a player, who's career seemed over and could permanently end at any moment, to take less (nba minimum) and sign with Heat or go to Cleveland and make $4 million? He has to think about his future and life after basketball, $4 million is a lot of money, maybe not in terms of star NBA players, but to take less for a shot at a ring aint worth it, I would be surprised if he went to the Heat....MONEY TALKS!

justinnum1
01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
I think he goes to cle.

TheNumber37
01-29-2013, 02:40 PM
He should go to CLE. IN Miami there's too much pressure right now, especially for a guy that should be taking it easy.
On the Cavs, he's got a nice chance to show what he can do, and if it works out, He and Kyrie would be a great together.

kntresistheheat
01-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Well, anybody can. It's the obvious choice because he's from there (I think?), he went to college there, and he currently lives there? I think he is going to put the emotional part of it to the side and make the smarter choice. Besides, I think Miami will eventually get rid of some of those contracts like (miller, Pitt, Haslem ect..) so they will probably offer more money in second year?

kntresistheheat
01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
He should go to CLE. IN Miami there's too much pressure right now, especially for a guy that should be taking it easy.
On the Cavs, he's got a nice chance to show what he can do, and if it works out, He and Kyrie would be a great together.

The only one with pressure is lebron, wade, and bosh.

Big Zo
01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
People forget that he's still married to that beached whale that has beached herself on Miami Beach, along with her skanky sisters. I don't think she'll wanna move to Cleveland.

Edit: Nevermind it's Greg Oden, not Lamar Odom.

29$JerZ
01-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Well, anybody can. It's the obvious choice because he's from there (I think?), he went to college there, and he currently lives there? I think he is going to put the emotional part of it to the side and make the smarter choice. Besides, I think Miami will eventually get rid of some of those contracts like (miller, Pitt, Haslem ect..) so they will probably offer more money in second year?

Well how exactly is Miami the smarter choice?
If Rings are what he solely wants than yeah it makes sense to go to Miami.
If just playing basketball and having no pressure of producing are what he wants Cleveland is the obvious route. I see Cleveland being what he wants more as of now.

the_color_finn
01-29-2013, 02:48 PM

You keep saying he's gonna make the "smarter choice," have you not read what I and others have posted. He would be smarter to go to Cleveland because of the financial aspect. You need to take off your homer glasses and stop thinking that every player in the NBA wants to take less to get a chance at a ring with the Heat, you're delusional!

I never said he would go to the Cavs because of the emotional aspect, I merely mentioned his ties to Ohio and OSU, he's been working out and recovering in Columbus...it comes down to money and that's why he will choose the Cavs...you want to make the argument for him to go to the Cavs about emotional ties, and then bring up LeBron leaving to negate that, but that's not what the argument is about, it comes down to money and the Cavs can offer more, get over it!:p

kntresistheheat
01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Would it make financial sense for a player, who's career seemed over and could permanently end at any moment, to take less (nba minimum) and sign with Heat or go to Cleveland and make $4 million? He has to think about his future and life after basketball, $4 million is a lot of money, maybe not in terms of star NBA players, but to take less for a shot at a ring aint worth it, I would be surprised if he went to the Heat....MONEY TALKS!

It all depends what type of player he is and what's important to him? Money vs legacy?

Sactown
01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
It all depends what type of player he is and what's important to him? Money vs legacy?

When you're as far down the totem poll as Greg Oden is currently, winning a championship isn't going to enhance his legacy, as he doesn't have one.

Matrix3132
01-29-2013, 02:53 PM

He hasn't even had a "career" yet and you're talking about his legacy:facepalm:

Melo15
01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Just think Oden could be in the next Uncle Drew commercial and he wouldn't even need age altering makeup.

noodle
01-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Some of you Heat fans are ridiculous.

the_color_finn
01-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Some of you Heat fans are ridiculous.

No, kntresistheheat is ridiculous, the others have been reasonable...this fool is talking about Oden's legacy ahahah, last I checked you have to play the game first before worrying about a legacy, I'll bet hes a 15 year old that plays a lot of NBA2K13 and already has Oden on his Heat roster lol...a guy like Oden doesnt care about rings, he would kill to play an injury free 30 games and wants to make some money in case his career comes to a final close, $4 million dollars can at least delay the McDonald's burger flipping for a few years

kntresistheheat
01-29-2013, 03:06 PM
You guys crack me up! It's not about being a homer. You guys are saying that its better that he goes to Cleveland because they are not going to ask him to do much and not have any pressure? Yeah, lets pay the guy 4mil to sit on the bench and not ask much from him and have a loosing season. Also have the rep of coming back to the NBA after titled as a bust and now titled as another player just wanting to play for money. NO one wants to be known for that! Miami would be the best choice because he won't be ASKED for much and no pressure from him because we have the big 3 to take all that pressure. NOW! I'm not he will choose Miami but he should in order to resurrect his career. A prime example is B. Roy history of injuries but no contender wanted him but minny took their chances with him and he took what he could just to come back to the NBA. Now, you tell me if he had a choice between minny and Miami you think he would of chosen minny?

justinnum1
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
I can see Gilbert paying him 4 mil to do nothing just Miami can't get him.

Lakers + Giants
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
If he's not going to phx then it doesn't matter cuz he'll be hurt all year anyways.

kntresistheheat
01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
No, kntresistheheat is ridiculous, the others have been reasonable...this fool is talking about Oden's legacy ahahah, last I checked you have to play the game first before worrying about a legacy, I'll bet hes a 15 year old that plays a lot of NBA2K13 and already has Oden on his Heat roster lol...a guy like Oden doesnt care about rings, he would kill to play an injury free 30 games and wants to make some money in case his career comes to a final close, $4 million dollars can at least delay the McDonald's burger flipping for a few
years

Trust me buddy, I wish I was 15 teen playing video games. I'm married with 3 kids and I know your the homer wishing that he goes to the cavs because your still hurt that lebron left and won a ring and nothing will make you feel better than Oden choosing the cavs than Miami.

Sactown
01-29-2013, 03:14 PM
He should make "The Decision" so Dan Gilbert can be ***** slapped on national television again..

kntresistheheat
01-29-2013, 03:16 PM
in cleveland = more money more playing time more chance to re-injury less money to earn (short nba career)
in miami = less money a decent playing time less chance of re-injury, more years to come more money to come, instant ring more endorsement not that much difficult job just to rebound and block shots

if you're oden where would you going to sign??? is it difficult to pick between that two teams??

Thank you!

kntresistheheat
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
If he wants to stay healthy Miami is the best option. He would have to do less so his chances of getting injured are smaller. He could slowly work his way on court because Miami doesn't NEED him. Cle is in desperate need of a C now the Andy is out.

And thank you!

Melo15
01-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Not sure how Varejao's injury factors into it. It's not like Oden's playing this year, he's simply rehabbing. He's not playing again until next year.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Heat are over the cap. Even signing him to vet minimum the luxury tax on that will still be a lot. Heat will have to break up the big 3 soon enough. Most likely Bosh is the first to go after this season.

GiantsSwaGG
01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
If he's smart, he'll go to Cleveland

WITZ
01-29-2013, 03:31 PM
He should make "The Decision" so Dan Gilbert can be ***** slapped on national television again..

Have fun losing your team :laugh:

Sactown
01-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Have fun losing your team :laugh:

You must not be up to date on what's going on if you think going to Seattle is a sure thing.. so I'll ignore your ignorance and not assume you're a dumbass

THE MTL
01-29-2013, 03:37 PM
It doesnt matter where he goes. Im not worried about a guy who hasnt played basketball in what would be 4 years!!!!

Dade County
01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Heat are over the cap. Even signing him to vet minimum the luxury tax on that will still be a lot. Heat will have to break up the big 3 soon enough. Most likely Bosh is the first to go after this season.

That china man money says ... NO

If Pat wants Oden, he will not leave Miami with out being signed. Ray Ray wanted a couple of days to think before he signed with the HEAT, Pat said sure, let me get you a condo by the beach until your mind clear up.

Losoway
01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
why would he go to cleveland were they are going to put more wear and damage on his already fragile knees

he can go to the miami heat be a bruiser in the paint for limited mins a game. win a few championships make some money and retire . sounds like a good plan to me

GiantsSwaGG
01-29-2013, 04:04 PM
why would he go to cleveland were they are going to put more wear and damage on his already fragile knees

he can go to the miami heat be a bruiser in the paint for limited mins a game. win a few championships make some money and retire . sounds like a good plan to me

Wouldn't that wear his knees even worse?

Gibby23
01-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Phoenix should be his first option. Especially with Oneal out.

Why is oneal out?

yaswaggin
01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
heat should sign him, but only use him the week before the playoffs and in the playoffs. that way he has time to get back in to the nba pace, and is guaranteed to make an impact in the playoffs barring he stays injury free, which isnt even given for one week

xxplayerxx23
01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
He will take money. Money>chabce at a championship for a player that doesn't know if he I healthy enough to stay in the nba

Quinnsanity
01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
It's a shame he's not going to Phoenix.

IKnowHoops
01-29-2013, 04:31 PM
You keep saying he's gonna make the "smarter choice," have you not read what I and others have posted. He would be smarter to go to Cleveland because of the financial aspect. You need to take off your homer glasses and stop thinking that every player in the NBA wants to take less to get a chance at a ring with the Heat, you're delusional!

I never said he would go to the Cavs because of the emotional aspect, I merely mentioned his ties to Ohio and OSU, he's been working out and recovering in Columbus...it comes down to money and that's why he will choose the Cavs...you want to make the argument for him to go to the Cavs about emotional ties, and then bring up LeBron leaving to negate that, but that's not what the argument is about, it comes down to money and the Cavs can offer more, get over it!:p

The thing you fail to realize is that playing for Miami, winning a ring, and being a good player is worth more than the 4million that Cleveland is offering him. If he wins a ring and plays well, then his endorsements will probably eclipse 10mill in a year. On Cleveland, not making the playoffs every year, your not going to get much for endorsements. So I believe winning a ring in Cleveland and playing well winning that ring will bring him more money than a 4million dollar contract in Cleveland. So going to Miami is actually the smarter thing to do. If he aspires for greatness like all basketball players should, and can see the big picture, then Miami is the place. And if any of what I said is true, then Pat will let him know this and hell be a lock to go to Miami.

Master Mind
01-29-2013, 05:31 PM
His signing would be geared towards the future in Miami's case. Though he won't get the money right now I do think Riley will devise a plan to free up money. I think Bosh will be the odd man out

Melo15
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
It's a shame he's not going to Phoenix.

I agree. Their training staff would be the ideal match for him.

Iron24th
01-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Good luck running with LBJ and wade.

But it could work, who knows...

SteBO
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
I'd love to have him on board obviously, but I too think it's smarter for him to go to CLE for the guaranteed $$$ they might throw his way, especially with the injury risk. A healthy Oden would be quite ideal for Miami, but again, there's a risk and should he get hurt at any point during any tenure here, he'd have missed out on a lot of money had he gone the other route. It's an interesting choice if you're Oden, but I know if I were in his shoes I'd head to Cleveland.

OceanSpray
01-29-2013, 06:21 PM
People don't understand that it's not about the money. Greg Oden just wants to make an impact. He stated that in an interview. Even though Oden is always injured, he can seriously play easy minutes for Miami. If utilized well, he can make a huge impact for 15 minutes. A couple of blocks, rebounds, and easy dunks. He had serious potential and one of the highest EFF rating during his time.

Hawkeye15
01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Honestly, I won't be the slightest excited about Oden until he shows his injuries are behind him. 7 footers with chronic knee/leg problems usually don't get stronger.

5ass
01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Honestly, I won't be the slightest excited about Oden until he shows his injuries are behind him. 7 footers with chronic knee/leg problems usually don't get stronger.

if he can give them 15-20 minutes a game of good rebounding and defense he can be a major factor for Miami

Minimal
01-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Actually I looked up his salaries and interesting thing he already made 23 millions over the years in the NBA, not including endorsements, so maybe there is a chance he would take a championship chance over money.

KnicksorBust
01-29-2013, 06:51 PM

I agree. I love the idea of him working with varejeo also.

dodgersuck
01-29-2013, 07:02 PM
He should go to Cleveland. If he stays healthy (BIG if) he would be sick with Kyrie

gotoHcarolina52
01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Sign with Cleveland or Miami. I don't really give a ****

jiggin
01-29-2013, 07:58 PM
in related news, both teams have contacted both Dr. Richard Steadman and Dr. Don Roberts and extended them offers to also join the team in a surgical role.

ragee
01-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Crap!!! I wanted him in Dallas!

Lab Rat Robby
01-29-2013, 08:34 PM
he should go to phoenix, or at least the spurs so pop could minutes watch for him. it's a shame, but i bet he gets hurt again with either. cavs or heat, doesn't matter. wouldn't mind those young cavs gettin stuck with a cap hit. the heat are in cap trouble as it is.

RLundi
01-29-2013, 08:35 PM
He can't stay healthy so this will ultimately be futile.

Low-risk, high-reward though.

NBA_Starter
01-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Heat :pray:

sixer04fan
01-30-2013, 12:06 AM
The Decision 2.0

Duncan = Donkey
01-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Man time flys, he is already 25

Jint.
01-30-2013, 12:30 AM
go to Cleveland Greg..

lakersfan01
01-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Heat or Cavs... he better choose the Heat! Perfect match for both parties.

sventhedog
01-30-2013, 03:43 AM
great news. lebron finally has someone to talk to on the bench.

Hawkeye15
01-30-2013, 04:09 AM
if he can give them 15-20 minutes a game of good rebounding and defense he can be a major factor for Miami

agreed. I have zip confidence that will happen over 82+ however.

ChitownSports16
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Whats it matter??? The dude wont be on the floor for longer then 5 mins and well get a report saying he's done for the.season.

mdm692
01-30-2013, 12:50 PM

From what I read it seems as if you are responding to the final part that suggest LeBron ending up in Cleveland. While it may be unlikely it is a possibility and a reality.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-30-2013, 01:36 PM
question.. if oden does choose miami, and miami already signed varnado..

and birdman is on his second 10 day contract.. what is miami's best option?

can they void varnado's contract? or cut/trade pittman?