PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay and Darrell Arthur for Calderon and Ed Davis rumor heating up

spreadeagle
01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Ed Davis has been great this year, risky trade
The Memphis Grizzlies continue to field calls from teams interested in Rudy Gay and are engaged in active trade discussions with the Toronto Raptors, sources with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com.

Although the framework of a workable trade has not yet been established, sources told ESPN.com that Toronto -- known to be perhaps Gay's most determined suitor -- has continued to make a hard push for the swingman.

The Grizzlies, though, maintain that last week's luxury-tax-slashing trade with Cleveland means they no longer feel the same pressure to move Gay or another high-priced player before the NBA's Feb. 21 trade deadline.

New Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien told local reporters late last week that "we really like our team" and that it is "more likely than not that we do nothing" in terms of breaking up Memphis' marquee foursome of Gay, point guard Mike Conley, forward Zach Randolph and center Marc Gasol.

But sources say that the Raptors, undaunted by that stance, continue to pursue Gay and also covet Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur. Toronto, sources said, has made veteran point guard Jose Calderon and blossoming young forward Ed Davis available as the two cornerstones of its offer.

Other teams remain engaged with the Grizzlies as well, as Memphis officials continue to weigh whether it is best to trade Gay or keep together the core of a team that has ranked among the top four in the Western Conference.

If talks with the Raptors do progress, according to sources, it's possible that a trade with Memphis could expand to include other teams and players. NBA front-office sources have maintained for weeks that Calderon (who has an expiring contract), fellow Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry (only $1 million in guaranteed salary next season) and former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani all are available.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8891818/rudy-gay-subject-active-trade-discussions-toronto-raptors-memphis-grizzlies-sources

0nekhmer
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
honestly, i'd rather keep davis.. he's a great young player and i've heard far too many issues with Gay being too much of an ISO player and is only effective with the ball. His defense is probably overrated due to the elite backcourt of Conley and Allen.

On the other hand, maybe Rudy's production isn't as great because of the offensive firepower Memphis has in Gasol, Randolph, and conley..? I mean look at OJ mayo.. he's been beasting it ever since he left.

heyman321
01-28-2013, 09:03 PM
If Colangelo does this I will take a **** on his front porch.

SeoulBeatz
01-28-2013, 09:03 PM
raptors should pounce on this immediately and move Derozan for a PF.

lowry
ross
gay
pf
valanciunas

that's a pretty solid squad right there...

BALLER R
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't wanna move davis. Ross and Jonas better not be part of that or else we're gonna riot.

bucketss
01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
**** no give them derozan or something we don't want gays overrated *** for a young cheap promising big man.

bucketss
01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
davis,ross,val <--- untouchable in trades including gay. which hopefully means this won't go down.

heyman321
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM

lowry
ross
gay
pf
valanciunas

completely wrong. Gay is overrated. Why do you think the Grizz want to dump him? He's overpaid for what he does. All he is , is an inefficient chucker.

Davis is showing he can be a 20/10 guy. This is the first year he gets minutes, and he is averaging 15/8 for the month. Plus, he plays great defense and is efficient. He should be untouchable along with Ross and Valanciunas. Raptors need to build thru draft NOT crappy trades.

Jamiecballer
01-28-2013, 09:15 PM

i'm with you. if i can't nail down his exact address i'll just look for a house that gives the appearance of quality from the outside but is actually **** when you get inside.

Gators123
01-28-2013, 09:16 PM
I hope it happens. No big trades so far.

LakersIn5
01-28-2013, 09:16 PM
davis,ross,val <--- untouchable in trades including gay. which hopefully means this won't go down.

youre the GM?

dtmagnet
01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Really don't understand why the Raptors do this, they're not close to being a playoff team and Gay is not the difference between playoffs or not.

John Walls Era
01-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Raptors fans hated the Ross pick. They hated the Davis pick too.

mzgrizz
01-28-2013, 09:19 PM
I hate this trade
NOT happening so calm down boyz

BALLER R
01-28-2013, 09:19 PM

I don't know about that. At first maybe but within the hour we were fine with those picks.

Guppyfighter
01-28-2013, 09:20 PM
I would love to see Calderon in the playoffs. This would be a straight up win the Grizzlies.

Hellcrooner
01-28-2013, 09:20 PM
dont find a good reason for any of the teams to make the trade.

heyman321
01-28-2013, 09:22 PM

Nobody was upset with the Davis pick in a crappy draft. Most were happy he fell so far.

And I admittedly was upset with the Ross pick because people wanted Drummond. Until Ross showed he is the one of the league's sickest dunkers, and is already better at shooting than Derozan ever will be.

John Walls Era
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Nobody was upset with the Davis pick in a crappy draft. Most were happy he fell so far.

And I admittedly was upset with the Ross pick because people wanted Drummond. Until Ross showed he is the one of the league's sickest dunkers, and is already better at shooting than Derozan ever will be.

IIRC at least 90% of PSD posters hated it and in another forum (raptors fans only), they all hated it. Said Ross was a reach. I was the only person who didn't want Drummond because hes too raw.

Sota4Ever
01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
IIRC at least 90% of PSD posters hated it and in another forum (raptors fans only), they all hated it. Said Ross was a reach. I was the only person who didn't want Drummond because hes too raw.

Your a raptors fan??

AntwanN21
01-28-2013, 09:40 PM
I think Bargnani and Calderon is better.

aLau10
01-28-2013, 09:40 PM
OOO please Colangelo! Don't make this trade. We got enough swingmans in this team that are younger than Rudy. Ed will easily become a double double man, Jose has proven to consistently bring close to double double figures. I rather not make a trade for Rudy...

305 till I die
01-28-2013, 09:41 PM
this would be great for the raptors. They will be a playoff team with this roster for the next 5+ years.

Lowry
Ross
Gay
Bargs
Val

and they will have some solid young players like fields, johnson, arthur off the bench.

LTBaByyy
01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Who plays SF for Grizzlies if trade goes through

Hellcrooner
01-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Who plays SF for Grizzlies if trade goes through Whatever they get for RANDOLPH in the folowing trade would play Sf.

Avenged
01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Nooooooo I want Calderon on the Lakers :(

Bob_at_york
01-28-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't think Rudy is worth his contract. I hope the raps do not make this trade.

JNoel
01-28-2013, 10:05 PM
It would be a good trade for the Raps imo.

JNoel
01-28-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't think Rudy is worth his contract. I hope the raps do not make this trade.

He's not, but he brings leadership and Darell Arthur isn't too bad of a player either. Also Lowry can take the primary PG spot that has been in the balance for a while, good trade imo.

LTBaByyy
01-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Arthur
Valuncias

6th: Ross

Is a playoff team easily (In East of course)

LTBaByyy
01-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Arthur
Valuncias

305 till I die
01-28-2013, 10:33 PM
dont forget about bargnani, he will still be a main scorer there.

mzgrizz
01-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Fuhgeddaboutit

heyman321
01-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Arthur
Valuncias

Not sure if serious...that is basically the same team except you added a chucker and removed a PF who rebounds plays defense, and can score 10 points a night.

The goods
01-28-2013, 10:53 PM

lowry
ross
gay
pf
valanciunas

Him and Barg for Pau!!!!!

pebloemer
01-28-2013, 11:01 PM

I don't remember anyone on our board hating the Davis pick :shrug:

I suspect the Ross pick will remain contentious for years.

Dankster
01-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Wow, that's a very good deal for Toronto. I think Ed Davis has a chance to become a special player defensively, but he's still exceptionally raw in general (especially at the offensive end.) Arthur is a much more polished product, and Toronto finally gets some "star" power that they've been desperate for. A Lowry-Demar-Gay trio is a pretty good block of players to build their team around.

Dankster
01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Not sure if serious...that is basically the same team except you added a chucker and removed a PF who rebounds plays defense, and can score 10 points a night.

I can understand people's criticism of Gay since he's not living up anywhere remotely to that ridiculous contract he signed a few years back. But he's still quite young, and I believe can thrive as a #2 option on a team. Maybe a change of scenery can help him reach his potential.

LAKobeBryant
01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Barg instead of Ed. Il do it but if Ed in trade then no. Il be glad to visit some raptors game with Lowry, derozan, gay, Ed, val

LAKobeBryant
01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
dont forget about bargnani, he will still be a main scorer there.

He's the worst chucker in the nba because his role is the franchise player and be allowed to shot 20 shots a game on off nights

LakersA's49ers
01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
why are toronto fans against bringing in an athletic swingman like Gay? You already have Lowry>>Calderon at point and Gay fills in for the void left by davis

BALLER R
01-28-2013, 11:21 PM
why are toronto fans against bringing in an athletic swingman like Gay? You already have Lowry>>Calderon at point and Gay fills in for the void left by davis

we will take Gay but we don't want it to be at the expense of Davis.

rapsjaysfan88
01-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Maybe we can trade Calderon and Alan Anderson for gay

LAKobeBryant
01-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Why do they need Davis anyways with zbo and Marc. It's ping hurt his development if he's a backup like when barg was in the way

rapsjaysfan88
01-28-2013, 11:23 PM

Lowry is extremely injury prone

DoMeFavors
01-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Arthur
Johnson

sounds like a decent lineup

Eagles4Lyfe
01-28-2013, 11:29 PM
I don't remember anyone on our board hating the Davis pick :shrug:

I suspect the Ross pick will remain contentious for years.

I did everyones like we already have Amir and Bargs and how it was a stupid pick. People wanted Bradley IIRC, I remember because I was one of the rare few that actually loved it and remember arguing with people over it.

People wanted George, Bradley or to trade the pick.

rapsjaysfan88
01-28-2013, 11:29 PM
If colangelo keeps bargs and trades Davis, I'm going to flip out.

Rego247
01-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Of course BC will do this. He doesn't want his starting PF to play D or rebound.

He'd much rather have Bargs.

Cal827
01-28-2013, 11:34 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Please not Ed Davis.

Colangelo is getting desperate... hopefully MLSE sees this and fires his *** before he ****s our team for the next half decade, with this overrated chucker.

Bulls_fan90
01-28-2013, 11:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7lIjFsGvg

murphturph
01-28-2013, 11:55 PM
FINE

RUDY Gay and and Author for Calderon and Ed Davis

ONLY IF

Bargnani and Kleiza (Maybe Alan Anderson as well) for Gasol

PG: Lowry
Sg: DErozan
SF: GAY
PF: GASol
C: VALINCIUNAS

6th men: Ross and Johnson
Pretty sexy looking to me, sometimes one has to give up young talent to acquire ligitimate proven talent.

koreancabbage
01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Of course BC will do this. He doesn't want his starting PF to play D or rebound.

He'd much rather have Bargs.

lol well its the most logical trade scenario for Memphis. in terms of contractual commitments. I'm actually startin to like Derozan's passing the ball as of lately and and maybe Derozan fits into that 3rd/4th scorer more now with more talent around him. I like it for Derozan cuz he can now play his game with having dangerous scorers in Lowry and Gay.

Bargs off the bench. Amir in the starting PF and Jval as starting C.

MrfadeawayJB
01-29-2013, 12:04 AM
This trade makes no sense for either team

HoopsMachine
01-29-2013, 12:17 AM
I don't see Memphis doing this deal unless they can get another SF from somewhere else.

Possibly a deal like this with the main pieces being Calderon to Boston, Jeff Green to Memphis, and Rudy Gay to Toronto.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

I got this to work by sending filler (Fields and Barbosa) to Memphis

Swift Game
01-29-2013, 12:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7lIjFsGvg

I could not stop laughing at this for a while..I must of replayed this like 4 times....Got to say I respect the dedication of the Fans of the Toronto Raptors and they deserve a good team to make the playoffs and win a series.

That guy was yelling Defense!! and as soon as Rudy Gay got the Ball he was yelling Nooo...Laughing my a ss off.

Swift Game
01-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Calederon or Lowry and Amir Johnson for Pau. Sounds fair to me.

Pau can still play big time ball if he wants to and I think some teams still realize this. Problem in LA for the last few years has been Bynum clogging the middle and now Dwight doing the same. Pau needs to have post up looks to be succesful.

Lakers need a backup PG so they can take some pressure off of Nash. Kobe can only play the CP3 role for so long and they need an athletic PG that can play defense.

Sly Guy
01-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Bad deal:
-having Lowry as the starting PG is a risky venture at this point. He's not been the guy who's been proven to run the offense effectively even if he's the more athletic/defensively capable/higher ceiling PG of the 2. Moving Calderon could upset the flow of our offense, guys like Fields, Dero, Amir, Jonas, Bargs all depend on Jose's ability to move the ball to be more efficient. Toronto lacks a guy that they can dump the ball to when they need a score, so they need to offset this by having a pass first PG. Lowry so far hasn't been this guy.
-Ed's playing really well, and is really young. He's got a lot of upside, and he's got good chemistry here already with not just Jose, but the rest of his teammates as well. He's happy with his team [as far as we've heard], and for a market like Toronto, when a player likes it here and is talented, we do what we can to keep them here.
-Memphis has little use for Ed, as was already stated, playing behind Marc and Z-bo will stifle his growth, not to mention the fact Marc and Z-Bo are one of the most intimidating front courts already.
-Memphis loses their SF and doesn't get on in return.
-Memphis gets a PG, basically a backup capable of starter minutes when they've already got a very solid starter. Jose's value would be higher with a team who has an aging starter incapable of playing 36mins every game, or a team suffering from a PG injury, or a team looking to add depth for a playoff run. Memphis could fit into that last category, but this trade weakens their core for adding to their depth.

ssr2020
01-29-2013, 12:47 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aa86zxn
this would be sick

shep33
Don't really get it for either team.

Sly Guy

spreadeagle
01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
I could not stop laughing at this for a while..I must of replayed this like 4 times....Got to say I respect the dedication of the Fans of the Toronto Raptors and they deserve a good team to make the playoffs and win a series.

That guy was yelling Defense!! and as soon as Rudy Gay got the Ball he was yelling Nooo...Laughing my a ss off.
yes its a gem...I also enjoy this one as far as Raptor fans spazzing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWD1Dfi0p4c

dalton749
01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
noooo not rudy gay! (colangelo) youuuuuuuuuu ****ing *******!

shep33
01-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Someone posted a Bargs, Kleiza and Fields for Pau trade on the previous page.

Who do you think you are? The Lakers?

Breeze777
01-29-2013, 01:00 AM
id make this trade, then try to move Derozan and Bargs for Cousins+ a bad contract. I dont know y everyone is hating on gay. He's a lil over paid yes, but it think that's largely due to the fact that he's not needed to put up spectacular numbers on that team with Z-bo and Gasol dominating inside, he just plays his role. But i believe given the opportunity to be "the man" he is an all star.

lajoie
01-29-2013, 01:12 AM
id make this trade, then try to move Derozan and Bargs for Cousins+ a bad contract. I dont know y everyone is hating on gay. He's a lil over paid yes, but it think that's largely due to the fat that he's not needed to put up spectacular numbers on that team with Z-bo and Gasol dominating inside, he just plays his role. But i believe given the opportunity to be "the man" he is an all star.

lol, why would the Kings trade Cousins for Bargnani? I would rather have Tyreke Evans than Derozan

Sadds The Gr8
01-29-2013, 01:15 AM
**** no to Rudy Gay

Breeze777
01-29-2013, 01:19 AM
lol, why would the Kings trade Cousins for Bargnani? I would rather have Tyreke Evans than Derozan

They probably wouldn't, but i know his name was being tossed around b4 when he was being "detrimental to the team"...so if there's still a possibility of them wanting to move him, then it's worth a shot. (plus they'd get to dump a bad contract which they have A LOT of). Tyrek will probably find another team in free agency and he might end up getting a larger contract than Demar.

Johann
01-29-2013, 01:21 AM
Colangelo has literally nothing to lose. His contract is up at the end of the year IIRC

He'd likely pull the trigger on a potential playoff shot even if he sacrifices a key young piece.

#YOLO

mzgrizz
01-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Far more likely for Rudy to a) stay with Grizz :nod: or b) go to Celtics than to go to Canada

Guppyfighter
01-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Far more likely for Rudy to a) stay with Grizz :nod: or b) go to Celtics than to go to Canada

This deal would be very good for the Grizzlies. But you'd lose some of that "grit and grind," but be better for it.

lajoie
01-29-2013, 01:27 AM
They probably wouldn't, but i know his name was being tossed around b4 when he was being "detrimental to the team"...so if there's still a possibility of them wanting to move him, then it's worth a shot. (plus they'd get to dump a bad contract which they have A LOT of). Tyrek will probably find another team in free agency and he might end up getting a larger contract than Demar.

So they get to get rid of a bad contract(probably John Salmons) but get to take on Bargnani's $10 million a year deal? Sure doesn't sound too appealing if I'm the Kings

KingPosey
01-29-2013, 01:41 AM
I think Gay is overrated but why would Memphis do this?

KingPosey
01-29-2013, 01:43 AM

The Kings do not have a ton Of bad contracts if that's what you meant.
25 million comes off the books this year and 10 more next year.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-29-2013, 01:46 AM
I don't know about that. At first maybe but within the hour we were fine with those picks.

We will probably trade for Gay and within an hour, they'll be fine with the trade.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-29-2013, 01:46 AM
I would prefer the Raptors not do this because I like Ed Davis. As long as we can trade Calderon for someone else.

Mayweather&NYK
01-29-2013, 02:26 AM
I think this is a good trade for Toronto with Ed Davis and an Absolute steal if they don't add him. Either way Rudy Gay gives them a Marquee franchise player and makes the Raptors a more attractive destination for potential Free agents. This is a must for Toronto with or w/o adding Ed Davis.

mjt20mik
01-29-2013, 02:50 AM
yes its a gem...I also enjoy this one as far as Raptor fans spazzing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWD1Dfi0p4c

LOL.. I'm a no for Gay too unless we flip DeRozan in the deal.

DeRozan + Jose for Gay + filler

Lowry
Ross
Gay
Davis
Val

rapsjaysfan88
01-29-2013, 02:54 AM
Everyone keeps penciling in Lowry but he's been injured all season...

HoopsMachine
01-29-2013, 06:21 AM
I think the funniest thing about this article on espn is the 1000+ comments on the bottom which i initially thought was going to be great discussion, but quickly found out it was nothing but Gay jokes

pacman16
01-29-2013, 06:57 AM
horrible trade for raps... Gay is over rated to me, I wouldn't even trade davis strait up for the guy.
davis will mean more to the raps then gay would for future seasons

pebloemer
01-29-2013, 10:05 AM
I did everyones like we already have Amir and Bargs and how it was a stupid pick. People wanted Bradley IIRC, I remember because I was one of the rare few that actually loved it and remember arguing with people over it.

People wanted George, Bradley or to trade the pick.

I remember people wanting George but he was picked before the Raptor's had the chance to take him. There was Bradley and Bledsoe talk, but Davis wasn't expected to drop past Detroit. When Golden State took Udoh and Monroe fell into Detroit's lap, Davis slipped much further than anyone anticipated. I was thrilled when we were able to take him at 13. There are always occasionaly people upset about any pick, but I don't remember most people upset about that one. It was a few years back though, so maybe my memory is playing tricks on me :).

ZHawk1123
01-29-2013, 10:13 AM

Take a dong on his front porch? Yikes.

Raps_93
01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
I think the funniest thing about this article on espn is the 1000+ comments on the bottom which i initially thought was going to be great discussion, but quickly found out it was nothing but Gay jokes

i thought so too..

Blitzbolt
01-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Darrell Author is better then Davis.dumb trade it won"t happen we don"t even want Calderon.

bucketss
01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Darrell Author is better then Davis.dumb trade it won"t happen we don"t even want Calderon.

maybe in water polo but not in basketball.

Guppyfighter
01-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Can't see why Grizzlie fans would be against this trade. This is a good trade for them.

mbsalame123
01-29-2013, 11:42 AM
this is not bad of a trade but I like the possibility of expanding the trade to a 3 or 4 team deal. the grizzlies can move calderon to another team like the celtics and get in return players like courtney lee and brandon bass, not bad right there.

but if the raptors only need to give up calderon and davis for gay and arthur, then that is a steal for the grizzlies. but i sense they will want others involved like linas klieza and/or landry fields involve in the deal

Blitzbolt
01-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Can't see why Grizzlie fans would be against this trade. This is a good trade for them.
???Its a bad trade we have Bayless and Tony Wroten(our rookie)who are playing well behind Mike Conley who Plays alot anyways so why would we need Calderon.Arthur has played well behind both Gasol and ZBO(That's why we traded Speights to cle).

Rudy Gay is the only SF in the roster he players lots minutes it's a bad trade for us.Also I don't want Ed Davis at all I know people like him but he is not worth it especially with ZBO who is an allstar.

Losoway
01-29-2013, 12:31 PM
the grizzles are high. rudy gay is a star in the making

MrfadeawayJB
01-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Not to mention Darrell has a cap friendly contract and Davis will eventually want big bucks