PDA

View Full Version : What if LeBron had been drafted by the Spurs

Chronz
01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
If Bron were given the gift many Superstars were afforded, the gift of being drafted to an instant contender, how differently would his career look to this point?

Sactown
01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
I don't think his numbers would be nearly the same, I think he would of been instituted into a system. He would have more rings, but hard to believe he'd have as many MVP's or Historical statistical seasons.. Just my opinion, could be completely wrong.

stawka
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
He would have a **** load of rings right now, the team would have been his after his first few years, maybe a couple of MVP's

Chronz
01-28-2013, 08:47 PM
I don't think his numbers would be nearly the same, I think he would of been instituted into a system. He would have more rings, but hard to believe he'd have as many MVP's or Historical statistical seasons.. Just my opinion, could be completely wrong.

Any input on just how statistically different he would be?

Sactown
01-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Any input on just how statistically different he would be?

Hard to say, but I doubt Pop would let him have as much free reign with the ball with Parker at PG...

I think Lebrons numbers might be, 20 points, 7 assists, 10 boards. and a lot of playing time at PF next to Duncan. with greater efficiency (hard to imagine since he's already extremely efficient), but I bet he'd be a better deep ball shooter, as Pop emphasizes corner 3's.. I think he'd be more of a Hybrid as a Spur playing half his time at PF and the other at SF.

What do you think?

FreakaNashur
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
there is no chance in hell a contender team would get the #1 overall pick in the draft..

JEDean89
01-28-2013, 08:57 PM
he would be more of a scorer imo. he has never played with a good pg which is why he has the point forward mantra but imagine if it was just his job to score and defend as opposed to having to get his whole team going, he could have dropped 30+ most seasons. it would have been duncan, lebron, ginobili, parker which would have been rowdy.

JEDean89
01-28-2013, 08:57 PM
there is no chance in hell a contender team would get the #1 overall pick in the draft..

if the raptors get the #1 overall then OKC a contender will have the #1 pick. understand the meaning of hypothetical questions.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 08:58 PM

The Spurs did...

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
He would play reduced minutes under Pop, his scoring would probably hover in the low 20's, same or higher efficiency, but his playmaking skills would have been legendary, along with his defensive accolades. He would have a nice start on being a top 2-3 player ever if drafted straight into a contender, like Duncan, Bird, Magic, or Kobe.

I would guess a 22-9-7 type line, with multiple championships, and a couple finals MVP's to date.

0nekhmer
01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
if the raptors get the #1 overall then OKC a contender will have the #1 pick. understand the meaning of hypothetical questions.

Nope. Raptors are top 3 protected.

pd7631
01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
If Bron were given the gift many Superstars were afforded, the gift of being drafted to an instant contender, how differently would his career look to this point?

"Many superstars" were given the gift of being drafted to instant contenders? This is news to me. Your question should probably say.....

If Lebron were lucky enough to be one the very few players in the draft lottery era to be selected by a team devastated by an injury to their already in place superstar the previous season, how would his career have unfolded?

Sactown
01-28-2013, 09:03 PM
He would play reduced minutes under Pop, his scoring would probably hover in the low 20's, same or higher efficiency, but his playmaking skills would have been legendary, along with his defensive accolades. He would have a nice start on being a top 2-3 player ever if drafted straight into a contender, like Duncan, Bird, Magic, or Kobe.

I would guess a 22-9-7 type line, with multiple championships, and a couple finals MVP's to date.

I had him at similar numbers, I don't know about legendary play making skills, I just don't know if Pop would play him that way.. I have him playing to much time at PF to have that many assists, I think his post game would be extremely improved and I see a lot of time at the high block.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM
I had him at similar numbers, I don't know about legendary play making skills, I just don't know if Pop would play him that way.. I have him playing to much time at PF to have that many assists, I think his post game would be extremely improved and I see a lot of time at the high block.

A coach would adjust to a player who has his abilities, period. The only difference is he wouldn't need to score 30 a night, and his minutes would be reduced under Pop.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
"Many superstars" were given the gift of being drafted to instant contenders? This is news to me. Your question should probably say.....

If Lebron were lucky enough to be one the very few players in the draft lottery era to be selected by a team devastated by an injury to their already in place superstar the previous season, how would his career have unfolded?

Kobe Bryant traded to LA, a contender.
Blake Griffen drafted by the Clippers, 2nd season was put next to CP3, 3rd season on a contender
Dwyane Wade, 3rd season on Miami was gifted with Shaq, not prime Shaq, but still a PER of 24.4 EFG% .600
Rondo, 2nd season was placed next to KG, Pierce, Allen
TIM Duncan, as already stated
even MJ, had the pieces put together very quickly.. by what his 3rd 4th season? It happens pretty often.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Blake Griffen drafted by the Clippers, 2nd season was put next to CP3, 3rd season on a contender
Dwyane Wade, 3rd season on Miami was gifted with Shaq, not prime Shaq, but still a PER of 24.4 EFG% .600
even MJ, had the pieces put together very quickly.. by what his 3rd 4th season? It happens pretty often.

you missed Bird, and Magic, among some others...

It happens more than people want to admit, especially before the draft lottery was invented.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 09:13 PM
A coach would adjust to a player who has his abilities, period. The only difference is he wouldn't need to score 30 a night, and his minutes would be reduced under Pop.

I don't know, I think he would develop differently. Doesn't seem like Pop would change his whole system when he already has superstars

Tim Duncan was in his PRIME when Lebron was drafted, I can't imagine Pop throwing away his system when he has a prime Duncan, an up and coming Manu and Tony, just to make a system to fit Lebrons skill set.. we're not talking about an old spurs team, but a dominate franchise with arguably the best PF ever playing at his prime.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 09:14 PM
you missed Bird, and Magic, among some others...

It happens more than people want to admit, especially before the draft lottery was invented.

I was trying to find some less obvious ones like Blake Griffin and Rondo and Wade... it's not always even through the draft.. players are traded away and traded in.. I doubt Rondo, Wade would be ranked the same without those key trades. and I'm sure the same is going to happen with BG if the Clips win a ring.

pd7631
01-28-2013, 09:25 PM

Clearly you have a very liberal definition of the word "instant".

Sactown
01-28-2013, 09:26 PM

I would say if you are on a contending team within 3 years, you're very fortunate...

John Walls Era
01-28-2013, 09:29 PM
He'd only play 41 Home Games. Spurs would troll Stern so hard and give the middle finger to the league.

Lab Rat Robby
01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
how good were the bulls already when they drafted rose? i think they well on recovery road.

jerellh528
01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
I honestly feel as if lebron is becoming overrated. He is a great player, but damn. "legendary playmaking skills" lol.

Hawkeye15

most #1 picks are not on a contender within their rookie deal. That is about as instant as it gets in the NBA.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
The Spurs probably would have broken the Celtics consecutive championships streak.

Obviously his PPG numbers would have never reached 30 for any season but he would've had insane efficiency numbers.

Jarvo
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
:faint: Rings on top of rings!

Lab Rat Robby
01-28-2013, 09:36 PM
nevermind i just looked it up i thought that was a knicks pick that landed first in the lottery.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
I honestly feel as if lebron is becoming overrated. He is a great player, but damn. "legendary playmaking skills" lol.

yes. Imagine the shooters he would have had in SA, and the big man down low, not to mention a coach who doesn't look like he is stumbling at a spelling bee when it comes to offense. He would be a hybrid type big man not seen since Magic. I am fairly certain his assist numbers would rise with Manu, Duncan, Parker, and co, over Mo, Sideshow Bob, and Big Z.

bucketss
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM

name ten players wait 5 at his position all time who are better play makers.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
yes. Imagine the shooters he would have had in SA, and the big man down low, not to mention a coach who doesn't look like he is stumbling at a spelling bee when it comes to offense. He would be a hybrid type big man not seen since Magic. I am fairly certain his assist numbers would rise with Manu, Duncan, Parker, and co, over Mo, Sideshow Bob, and Big Z.

I think his early numbers wouldn't be as flashy as they were in Cleveland, I think Pop would keep his system at first as it was proven and he had a championship team already in place.. But as Duncan, Manu started to decline I imagine Lebrons Peak and Prime would be much extended and much better than it currently is. I think he'd be a much better post player, play maker, rebounder, and much more efficient especially from the corner 3's.

phan
01-28-2013, 09:40 PM
downright nasty! Even more so than he already is. Easily 3 or 4 rings.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-28-2013, 10:03 PM
We wouldnt have lost to Dallas (dumb Manu foul) in 2006 in the WCF. Thats for sure.

Chronz
01-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Yes by superstars I mean players considered among the very best in History. Like Top10 caliber guys.

b@llhog24
01-28-2013, 10:12 PM
He'll be pretty much the way he is now, only with more playmaking/defense/rebounding focus and less scoring.

Chronz
01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
So do the Spurs 4-peet at some point? Does anyone think its that big of a difference?

Do they beat the Lakers in 04? Surely having Bron doesn't detract from the championships they would go on to win.

ManRam
01-28-2013, 10:14 PM

JB would be less annoying, that's for sure...

Sactown
01-28-2013, 10:15 PM
So do the Spurs 4-peet at some point? Does anyone think its that big of a difference?

Do they beat the Lakers in 04? Surely having Bron doesn't detract from the championships they would go on to win.

I don't know, everyone is assuming Pop would know what Lebron was going to become... But honestly, Pop would probably of viewed Lebron as a raw gifted athlete.. I don't know if Lebron would have even started at first.

LAcowBOMBER
01-28-2013, 10:22 PM

Also Melo could have been a Piston when they were still title contenders if it weren't for Darko

DallasTrilla23
01-28-2013, 10:26 PM

The Pistons almost did in 2003 when they got the 2nd Overall Pick and drafted Darko

and The bulls own charlotte's 1st round pick in 2016 which has a chance of being a top 3 pick.

Hawkize31
01-28-2013, 10:37 PM
I don't know, everyone is assuming Pop would know what Lebron was going to become... But honestly, Pop would probably of viewed Lebron as a raw gifted athlete.. I don't know if Lebron would have even started at first.

Maybe not, but with his combinatio of size and talent, he would have earned minutes very quickly. And Pop would probably have ben starting him by the All Star Breakm if not sooner.

b@llhog24
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Not sure if they win in 04, they obviously have a massive window to win in 05-08 seasons.

--23--
01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
How would the Spurs had drafted him though? They just came from winning a championship and had the 28th overall pick. Now the Pistons had a really close chance at drafting him if the Cavs would have chosen another player instead.

netsgiantsyanks
01-28-2013, 11:06 PM
rings galore.

netsgiantsyanks
01-28-2013, 11:09 PM
pg parker
sg ginobli
sf james
pf duncan
c nesterovic

ridiculous. and that's only for lebron's rookie year

sventhedog
01-28-2013, 11:18 PM
really not a fan of these magical threads but the answer is pretty simple spurs front office>cavs front office.

and in this magical world, anything could happen. lebron would've won titles with the spurs but then stern screws up and vetoes all trades finds a way to stack the lakers with allstars surround kobe with duncan, paul, durant without getting over the salary cap. the lakers win the next 20 championships while lebron ends up leaving the spurs with "the decision" which leads to his retirement with no rings. he then makes up a league of his own KBA (kings basketball association) where the champions get a crown instead of a ring. lebron makes the Guinness as the 1st ever champion, MVP, HOFer and all the awards imaginable in that league.

C-Wick925
01-28-2013, 11:42 PM
What if poop was blue?

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2013, 11:43 PM
This has happened more often than you think. The Spurs themselves got the number one pick when they drafted Duncan. The Lakers were a contender when they drafted Magic. Boston had just won the championship when they draft Len Bias at number 2. So yes it does happen.

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Well, as deep as that team would have been at the time, I don't think LBJ would have been in a position to win ROY. That would have went to Melo. The reason he won was because Cleveland leaned on him so much. He certainly would have been in the conversation, but with players who were more efficient, he would have been scoring a lot less.

As his talent progressed, he would have been lucky to play with guys like Parker and Duncan and Ginobili who are willing to share the ball, but that would have been contagious for LBJ and he would have trusted his teammates more. He would never average more than 25 a game as a Spur, but he obviously would have won a number of titles, and in all likelihood would have won finals MVPs and a couple of regular season MVP (Duncan and Shaq both won with Robinson and Kobe on their teams respectively). I think by this current season, had he stayed with them, that he would be carrying a heavier load by this point and he would be putting up numbers not to far off from what he has done in Miami so far in terms or rebounding and assists, but his scoring I think would be down a little, 22-25 range. We might even see more assists.

But yeah, key thing is rings. I can't see the Spurs not winning practically every year. I mean, they won it in 05 and o7 without him. Can you imagine what they would have been able to do with him? I doubt Miami would have been able to beat them in 06. 04 might have seen the Lakers and Pistons fall to SA. The 08 season would have been interesting. But after that, is there anyway the Spurs with LBJ and Duncan lose to LAL? Or Dallas? And obviously last season would have been a wrap. LBJ would likely be chasing history and have no less than 5 or 6 rings at this point. And the sad thing is, this is something Kobe could have done himself if he were capable of having a more harmonious relationship with Shaq.

Given that the Spurs have won 2 titles since 04, I think it is safe to say that LBJ would certainly have helped them win no less than four, and likely more. He personal stats wouldn't be where they were throughout the first 4 or 5 seasons, but I think they would, by this point, be somewhere around where they currently are.

Becks2307
01-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Here is a question:

What legacy is better? Lebron now with 1 ring and absolutely gaudy stats (and a title as the number 1 guy)
OR Lebron with "Grant Hill in his prime" like stats but with 4 rings? On a team with 3 other Hofs

sodaddicted
01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
There would have been a log jam for sure. Bruce Bowen was the starting SF from 03-09 and a huge factor in the 3 championships the Spurs had already won. Assuming Pop moved Lebron to the power forward position (small ball wasn't even a dominant aspect 10 years ago, but then again Pop is a mad scientist):

C Duncan
PF Lebron
SF Bowen
SG Whoever
PG Parker

Manu still off the bench

2004, his rookie year. Fisher's fluke .04 wouldn't have happened and the Spurs would have won that series solidly. But idk if they beat the Pistons in the finals. Detroit that year was just on another level. At best I'd call that a pick 'em finals, 7 games certainly within reason.

2005, a repeat on the curbstomping of the up and coming Suns and a finals rematch against the Pistons. I would assume the Spurs winning.

2006 was basically "Spurs vs Mavs for the finals" (well, SUPPOSED to be lol). Manu's foul in game7 wouldn't have happened. Wouldn't be an easy series, but I think the Spurs would win and then destroy Miami in the finals.

2007, Assuming Warriors upset the Mavs, Suns would still be a difficult series but same result. No Lebron game5 heroics from the ECF, so would be another Pistons rematch. Still Spurs probably.

2008, Lakers got Pau Gasol and were clicking fast. WCF between Spurs and Lakers would have been EPIC (much better then the fisher no-call on barry). Assuming the Spurs even won that, Celtics were a whole different beast that year as well. Probably have to call both of those series a pick 'em (might end the 5-peat if assume they won in 04).

2009, Spurs vs Lakers would be the likely difference, with yet another pick 'em. However, if the Spurs were to win, a curbstomp would ensue against Orlando for the title.

2010, yet ANOTHER repeat vs Lakers in the WCF, followed by another showdown against the Celtics. I'd call both series a pick 'em.

2011, even if you assume the Griz don't upset the Spurs, was still a tough playoffs in the western conference. If the Spurs beat Mem/OKC/Dallas, Boston vs Chicago would have been the ECF (no miami obv). I do think they'd beat whoever they played in the finals, though.

2012, OKC would have been an even more epic series than it already was, though Spurs would probably win. With Drose injury, Boston vs Indiana for ECF. I would assume Boston winning, with Spurs winning the finals matchup.

I'd probably call it as:

04 Finals (Epic series vs Detroit)
05 Championship
06 Championship
07 Championship
08-10 pickem vs Lakers/Celtics
11 pickem vs OKC/Dallas
12 Championship

Hellcrooner
01-29-2013, 12:53 AM
I see waht you did there?

how bout if instead their owner ahd put a phil jackson, a pippen a rodman, and eveyrthing else around him?

sodaddicted
01-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Or you could just say "Dude, championship every year" :laugh2:
08-12 the Spurs were hit with the injury bug it seemed like every single playoffs, which is what I factored in. 100% healthy then yea, Spurs could have possibly 9-peated.

Bring The Heat
01-29-2013, 01:49 AM
There would have been a log jam for sure. Bruce Bowen was the starting SF from 03-09 and a huge factor in the 3 championships the Spurs had already won. Assuming Pop moved Lebron to the power forward position (small ball wasn't even a dominant aspect 10 years ago, but then again Pop is a mad scientist):

2004, his rookie year. Fisher's fluke .04 wouldn't have happened and the Spurs would have won that series solidly. But idk if they beat the Pistons in the finals. Detroit that year was just on another level. At best I'd call that a pick 'em finals, 7 games certainly within reason.

2005, a repeat on the curbstomping of the up and coming Suns and a finals rematch against the Pistons. I would assume the Spurs winning.

2006 was basically "Spurs vs Mavs for the finals" (well, SUPPOSED to be lol). Manu's foul in game7 wouldn't have happened. Wouldn't be an easy series, but I think the Spurs would win and then destroy Miami in the finals.

2007, Assuming Warriors upset the Mavs, Suns would still be a difficult series but same result. No Lebron game5 heroics from the ECF, so would be another Pistons rematch. Still Spurs probably.

2008, Lakers got Pau Gasol and were clicking fast. WCF between Spurs and Lakers would have been EPIC (much better then the fisher no-call on barry). Assuming the Spurs even won that, Celtics were a whole different beast that year as well. Probably have to call both of those series a pick 'em (might end the 5-peat if assume they won in 04).

2009, Spurs vs Lakers would be the likely difference, with yet another pick 'em. However, if the Spurs were to win, a curbstomp would ensue against Orlando for the title.

2010, yet ANOTHER repeat vs Lakers in the WCF, followed by another showdown against the Celtics. I'd call both series a pick 'em.

2011, even if you assume the Griz don't upset the Spurs, was still a tough playoffs in the western conference. If the Spurs beat Mem/OKC/Dallas, Boston vs Chicago would have been the ECF (no miami obv). I do think they'd beat whoever they played in the finals, though.

2012, OKC would have been an even more epic series than it already was, though Spurs would probably win. With Drose injury, Boston vs Indiana for ECF. I would assume Boston winning, with Spurs winning the finals matchup.

I'd probably call it as:

04 Finals (Epic series vs Detroit)
05 Championship
06 Championship
07 Championship
08-10 pickem vs Lakers/Celtics
11 pickem vs OKC/Dallas
12 Championship

in 2006 would've destroyed Miami in finals lol.... You do realize the Spurs lost to Dallas in 7 games and the Heat beat them in 5... Keep dreaming buddy

seikou8
01-29-2013, 01:53 AM
in 2006 would've destroyed Miami in finals lol.... You do realize the Spurs lost to Dallas in 7 games and the Heat beat them in 5... Keep dreaming buddy

heat beat them in 6 and it would not be the same series if lebron is on the spurs in 06.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-29-2013, 01:59 AM
Better play maker, extremely better defender early in his career. He'd probably score low 20's for the first 4-6 years before stepping it up to mid to high 20's.

He'd honestly have 3-4 titles by now if he was on the Spurs with 1-2 MVP's. He'd probably be higher in the all time rankings. He's alreayd about 10-12th now. He'd probably be in the top 10 if he played with TD.

Dade County
01-29-2013, 02:10 AM
If Detroit drafted Melo

Kashmir13579
01-29-2013, 02:13 AM

with Manu and crew? at least 7, AT LEAST

Kashmir13579
01-29-2013, 02:14 AM
If Detroit drafted Melo

If Detroit drafted anyone.

Hellcrooner
01-29-2013, 02:26 AM
If Detroit drafted Melo

Larry brown would have destroyed him and would be known as a bust right now.

same for Bosh or anybody in the class, he simply does not play rookies, much less on a championship team with a solid as a rock starting line up.
So any of them would have rotten in the bench, lose faith and bust.
The only excpetion would have been lebron maybe 50-50 chance.

TrueFan420
01-29-2013, 02:33 AM

I was gonna say this... We'd be looking at a magic Johnson like career/ stats if Lebron was drafted by the spurs

rockbottom2010
01-29-2013, 03:09 AM
The Spurs did...

what are you drunk....the spurs were 20-62 before they drafted duncan.....btw...this forum is starting to become joke, first the celtics are back, then the lakers are back, and okc already champions....and now this....are you kidding me?

Hawkeye15
01-29-2013, 04:17 AM
what are you drunk....the spurs were 20-62 before they drafted duncan.....btw...this forum is starting to become joke, first the celtics are back, then the lakers are back, and okc already champions....and now this....are you kidding me?

nope, not drunk. Same team that was competing for a ring the year prior, and held a healthy D-Rob out the last 35+ games of the season to tank.

If you feel like I am not correct, by all means, I will educate you.

Chronz
01-29-2013, 04:42 AM
Here is a question:

What legacy is better? Lebron now with 1 ring and absolutely gaudy stats (and a title as the number 1 guy)
OR Lebron with "Grant Hill in his prime" like stats but with 4 rings? On a team with 3 other Hofs

Couldn't have put it better myself

LongWayFromHome
01-29-2013, 04:53 AM
I would say if you are on a contending team within 3 years, you're very fortunate...

Didnt Lebron have a decent playoff run his 3rd year and make the finals his 4th?

JasonJohnHorn
01-29-2013, 10:07 AM

Yes, they were. But they had a poor record because their franchise player was down for the season. They were a contender with a healthy roster.

The Lakers got the number one pick and were a playoff team when they drafted Magic.

and the Celtics had just won the championship when they drafted Len Bias at number two.

And the Pistons (though they wasted the pick) had the number two pick when they were contenders).

The Bulls may very well find themselves with the number one pick in a couple seasons should the Bobcats continue to suck.

It does happen from time to time.

JasonJohnHorn
01-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Yeah.... the Spurs lost to the MAvs in 7 games WITHOUT LeBron James. The hypothetical scenario here presumes that LBJ would have been on the team. I hardly think Dallas would have lasted 7 games again the Spurs had they had LBJ, and the Heat would have had a lot of trouble trying to guard LBJ, Duncan, Manu and Parker.

MR.TRIPDUB
01-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Stern wont hate the spurs anymore. Lebron will have a better legacy as a winner from his rookie year til he retires. At least 6 titles.

sodaddicted
01-29-2013, 10:54 AM

6 games, not 5.

Dallas had built their team literally as a counter to the Spurs (which ultimately worked). And lets be real, Spurs were NOT losing to the Heat in 06 lol.

Big Zo
01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
6 games, not 5.

Dallas had built their team literally as a counter to the Spurs (which ultimately worked). And lets be real, Spurs were NOT losing to the Heat in 06 lol.

Nobody was stopping Wade in '06.

kdspurman
01-29-2013, 12:03 PM

He was certainly special that year. But the Spurs at least had a guy like Bowen who would've pestered him a lot more than anyone on the Mavs did.

todu82
01-29-2013, 12:23 PM
He'd have more rings but he wouldn't be as highly regarded on an all-time players list as he is now.

Hangtime
01-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Yes, they were. But they had a poor record because their franchise player was down for the season. They were a contender with a healthy roster.

The Lakers got the number one pick and were a playoff team when they drafted Magic.

and the Celtics had just won the championship when they drafted Len Bias at number two.

And the Pistons (though they wasted the pick) had the number two pick when they were contenders).

The Bulls may very well find themselves with the number one pick in a couple seasons should the Bobcats continue to suck.

It does happen from time to time.

Didn't the Lakers have the number one pick when they drafted James Worthy fresh off a championship? That was when the NBA changed that rule if I'm not mistaken.

rockbottom2010
01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
nope, not drunk. Same team that was competing for a ring the year prior, and held a healthy D-Rob out the last 35+ games of the season to tank.

If you feel like I am not correct, by all means, I will educate you.

well that never happened....thats why u can't educate me.......and just to let u know....he only played 6 games that year.....let me give u an example....what about the chicago bulls....they don't have derrick rose and they are still getting the job done....thats why the nba is a team game....

2-ONE-5
01-29-2013, 02:35 PM
what if he went to the lakers, clippers, bucks, bobcats, wolves, warriors, magic, celtics..........

LongWayFromHome
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
well that never happened....thats why u can't educate me.......and just to let u know....he only played 6 games that year.....let me give u an example....what about the chicago bulls....they don't have derrick rose and they are still getting the job done....thats why the nba is a team game....

r u like 10 years old?

Spurs in 95 - 62 wins, lost to HOU in conference finals 4-2
Spurs in 96 - 59 wins, lost to JAZZ in second round 4-2
Spurs in 97 - 20 wins, DAVID ROBINSON PLAYED 6 GAMES (draft Duncan number 1)
Spurs in 98 - 56 wins, lost to JAZZ in second round 4-1 (JAZZ made the finals and lost to Bulls)
Spurs in 99 - NBA Champs

How can you say a contender didn't draft Duncan?

b@llhog24
01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
what are you drunk...the spurs were 20-62 before they drafted duncan.....btw...this forum is starting to become joke, first the celtics are back, then the lakers are back, and okc already champions....and now this....are you kidding me?

Lol. :facepalm:

GiantsSwaGG
01-29-2013, 03:57 PM
What if the Spurs drafted Tim Tebow

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-29-2013, 04:00 PM

His name would have been Bowen. Spurs wouldnt have choked away a 2-0 lead. Then again Jordans Bulls would have had a hard time playing against D-Whistle in that series. Any non Heat fan saw just how many calls went to the Heat. Ridiculous.

rockbottom2010
01-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Lol. :facepalm:

what kind of comment is that.....first and for most, this is a dumb thread...secondly, the spurs were champions before lbj was drafted, not only that.....ever since duncan was drafted by the spurs...they have been a playoff team ever since.....

Losoway
01-29-2013, 04:05 PM
he would be kawi leonard .

no seriously he would have been limited. im actually happy lebron went to cleveland he got to be free at a early age

the spurs would have limited everything

Losoway
01-29-2013, 04:07 PM
His name would have been Bowen. Spurs wouldnt have choked away a 2-0 lead. Then again Jordans Bulls would have had a hard time playing against D-Whistle in that series. Any non Heat fan saw just how many calls went to the Heat. Ridiculous.

you bugging bruh. NOBODY i REPEAT NOBODY was stopping wade in 2006 . he was one of the fastest players i ever seen and he finised at the basketball so smooth

kdspurman
01-29-2013, 04:36 PM
you bugging bruh. NOBODY i REPEAT NOBODY was stopping wade in 2006 . he was one of the fastest players i ever seen and he finised at the basketball so smooth

The Mavs didn't have a perimeter defender like Bowen or someone to contest his shots at the rim like Duncan. They would've played him the same way they played Lebron in 07.

JasonJohnHorn
01-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Didn't the Lakers have the number one pick when they drafted James Worthy fresh off a championship? That was when the NBA changed that rule if I'm not mistaken.

There's no rule in the NBA prohibiting a playoff team from getting the number pick via trade.

NoahH
01-29-2013, 04:52 PM
What if the Lakers or Nets or Celtics or 76ers drafted Lebron?

rockbottom2010
01-29-2013, 05:18 PM
r u like 10 years old?

Spurs in 95 - 62 wins, lost to HOU in conference finals 4-2
Spurs in 96 - 59 wins, lost to JAZZ in second round 4-2
Spurs in 97 - 20 wins, DAVID ROBINSON PLAYED 6 GAMES (draft Duncan number 1)
Spurs in 98 - 56 wins, lost to JAZZ in second round 4-1 (JAZZ made the finals and lost to Bulls)
Spurs in 99 - NBA Champs

How can you say a contender didn't draft Duncan?

go check the 96-97 stats...thats what im talking about.....its not my fault that u have a 3rd grade education.....back to reality....once duncan retire, they franchise will be in rebuilding phase unless they sign a franchise player for the future.....

thephoenixson28
01-29-2013, 05:24 PM
What if my aunt grew balls would she then be considered my uncle?

Nope she would still be my aunt, but for some odd reason she grew them.

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Terrible thread.

mballa22191
01-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Much better question more realistic question would be what if LeBron had not signed that extension with the Cavs after his rookie deal. And he rather looked to form a super team at that time.

Chronz
01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Terrible thread.
I wonder why you think that? ;)

go check the 96-97 stats...thats what im talking about.....its not my fault that u have a 3rd grade education.....back to reality....once duncan retire, they franchise will be in rebuilding phase unless they sign a franchise player for the future.....

I cant make out what your trying to say

Hawkeye15
01-29-2013, 05:57 PM
what kind of comment is that.....first and for most, this is a dumb thread...secondly, the spurs were champions before lbj was drafted, not only that.....ever since duncan was drafted by the spurs...they have been a playoff team ever since.....

you are missing the point. If you don't think the Spurs had a championship caliber roster when they drafted Duncan, you are flat out wrong. They simply suffered injuries to a top 3 roster. Duncan walked into a dream scenario. As did Bird, Magic, and even Kobe. LeBron was drafted to your more typical team that gets the #1 pick....poorly managed and a gutter team for a reason.

KnicksorBust
01-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Be serious. How fast did pop pull the trigger on k leonard and now hes hesitant with one of the greatest of all time? Playing w. Duncan might be the most ideal teammate for him of alltime.

Sactown
01-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Be serious. How fast did pop pull the trigger on k leonard and now hes hesitant with one of the greatest of all time? Playing w. Duncan might be the most ideal teammate for him of alltime.

There's a serious difference between the Duncan of now, and a PRIME Duncan, Manu, Tony..
Leonard has had more of a chance because it's a passing of an era, so it makes sense for Pop to change his game plan and incorporate fresh talent.. But in 03-04? I don't think he would of handed the ball over to Lebron and said you're the new floor general...

When Lebron came out he was a PG.. I don't think he would have taken that spot away from Tony Parker...
And even if knew he was suppose to be a SF he still would be competing for minutes with Bruce Bowen who was a reliable defender.. It's not like he would of walked into the starting lineup on a contender..

rockbottom2010
01-30-2013, 12:41 AM
you are missing the point. If you don't think the Spurs had a championship caliber roster when they drafted Duncan, you are flat out wrong. They simply suffered injuries to a top 3 roster. Duncan walked into a dream scenario. As did Bird, Magic, and even Kobe. LeBron was drafted to your more typical team that gets the #1 pick....poorly managed and a gutter team for a reason.

it seems like u don't watch the nba that much....popovich is probably the best coach in the nba right now......and the way he coaches the spurs....he makes that team into contenders.....look at tony parker and manu ginobili.....parker was drafted late first round and ginobili was drafted last in the 2002 nba draft....imagine that...who would have though they would have become perennial all-stars.....watch about bruce bowen....he used to be a nobody until he became a spur. just think about that, popovich makes a difference for the spurs that being said.....the day duncan retire wit hthe spurs, popovich will also retire....so they will be in a rebuilding phase in the near future....some coaches would only coach for certain stars in the league....look at jerry sloan....the day deron williams was traded to the nets, he immediately stepped down...he knew that the jazz would go on a downfall......same thing with phil jackson....he would coach with the best players in the world....

rockbottom2010
01-30-2013, 12:44 AM
I wonder why you think that? ;)

I cant make out what your trying to say

how often do the spurs get first overall picks.....very rare.....oh ya....boston was the worse team in 96-97 and they wanted duncan so badly....why don't u make a thread about what if duncan ended being drafted by the celtics.....your thread is not going anywhere

Hawkeye15
01-30-2013, 01:16 AM
it seems like u don't watch the nba that much....

Watched it religiously since the mid 80's.

popovich is probably the best coach in the nba right now......and the way he coaches the spurs....he makes that team into contenders.....

I won't deny Pop's greatness, but the Spurs front office deserves as much or more credit for continually putting together such talented teams.

look at tony parker and manu ginobili.....parker was drafted late first round and ginobili was drafted last in the 2002 nba draft....imagine that...who would have though they would have become perennial all-stars.....

Do you understand why both fell? yes or no? Everyone and their mother knew Manu was a talent, but he would not be able to play in the NBA for a couple of years, hence why teams passed. Parker was a hit for them. Are you really trying to sell me on the Spurs management being superior to other teams hahahaha? That is exactly my point.

watch about bruce bowen....he used to be a nobody until he became a spur. just think about that, popovich makes a difference for the spurs that being said.....the day duncan retire wit hthe spurs, popovich will also retire....so they will be in a rebuilding phase in the near future....some coaches would only coach for certain stars in the league....look at jerry sloan....the day deron williams was traded to the nets, he immediately stepped down...he knew that the jazz would go on a downfall......same thing with phil jackson....he would coach with the best players in the world....

You are flat out missing the point bud. The Spurs, the year they drafted Duncan, were a contending team that simply had ravaging injuries. The fact is, any player of an all timers caliber would absolutely kill to walk into Duncan's situation, and that is of a team that is a contender. You continue to duck that fact, and you simply don't understand the OP's question obviously.

rockbottom2010
01-30-2013, 02:12 AM
Watched it religiously since the mid 80's.

I won't deny Pop's greatness, but the Spurs front office deserves as much or more credit for continually putting together such talented teams.

Do you understand why both fell? yes or no? Everyone and their mother knew Manu was a talent, but he would not be able to play in the NBA for a couple of years, hence why teams passed. Parker was a hit for them. Are you really trying to sell me on the Spurs management being superior to other teams hahahaha? That is exactly my point.

You are flat out missing the point bud. The Spurs, the year they drafted Duncan, were a contending team that simply had ravaging injuries. The fact is, any player of an all timers caliber would absolutely kill to walk into Duncan's situation, and that is of a team that is a contender. You continue to duck that fact, and you simply don't understand the OP's question obviously.

david robinson was the only player that was injured majority of the season........he only played 6 games...if u know ur history....dominque wilkens played for the spurs that year....in fact, he was averaging 18.2 ppgs....at the same...yes i know that they were contenders before the duncan era.....the spurs never won a championship until duncan arrived...they relied heavily on david robinson....

back to my point....look what popovich has done for the spurs.....he pushes them to the limit....duncan and ginobili are in the mid 30s now....and they have the best record in the NBA....remember this....the 4 championships they have won are under tim duncan and greg popovich....nuff said....

if u have been watching it religiously since the mid-80s...u wouldn't be arguing with me...its ur ego...thats the issue

Hawkeye15
01-30-2013, 04:01 AM
david robinson was the only player that was injured majority of the season........he only played 6 games...if u know ur history....dominque wilkens played for the spurs that year....in fact, he was averaging 18.2 ppgs....at the same...yes i know that they were contenders before the duncan era.....the spurs never won a championship until duncan arrived...they relied heavily on david robinson....

back to my point....look what popovich has done for the spurs.....he pushes them to the limit....duncan and ginobili are in the mid 30s now....and they have the best record in the NBA....remember this....the 4 championships they have won are under tim duncan and greg popovich....nuff said....

if u have been watching it religiously since the mid-80s...u wouldn't be arguing with me...its ur ego...thats the issue

you have literally missed the entire point. Tim Duncan was drafted as a #1 pick into a ready made contender. This fact can not be denied. You can type until your fingers bleed, and it won't change the fact. Magic, Bird, and Kobe as well. The whole premise of this thread was what if Bron was also gifted an organization with such awesomeness from day 1. The fact that you have missed the entire point is on you.

Question my bball knowledge all you want. I really don't care.

rockbottom2010
01-30-2013, 07:48 AM
you have literally missed the entire point. Tim Duncan was drafted as a #1 pick into a ready made contender. This fact can not be denied. You can type until your fingers bleed, and it won't change the fact. Magic, Bird, and Kobe as well. The whole premise of this thread was what if Bron was also gifted an organization with such awesomeness from day 1. The fact that you have missed the entire point is on you.

Question my bball knowledge all you want. I really don't care.

let me ask you a question.....remember when the heat won the title back in 06'....then they had one of the worst records in 07-08....and they landed with the 2nd pick in the 08 draft.......after drafting beasley...did they make much of a difference....no.....this lottery draft is such a set up.....duncan is probably the best power forward ever to play the game....david stern made this happened....the grizzlies and the celtics had the best chances of landing the first pick....however that was never the case......its all about the conspiracy theory.....let me ask you another question....have you heard of the word money.......thats what's on the commisioner's mind.....if you didn't know...stern is worth 9 figures

BKLYNpigeon
01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Im going to start a new thread...

What if Lebron made iphone commercials instead of Samsung Galaxy....

rockbottom2010
01-30-2013, 10:04 AM

lol...this nba forum is starting to become a joke

Chronz
01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
how often do the spurs get first overall picks.....very rare.....
Thats the point, they were a contender that got the number 1 pick.

oh ya....boston was the worse team in 96-97 and they wanted duncan so badly....why don't u make a thread about what if duncan ended being drafted by the celtics.....
Because the Celtics got the pick by being a bad team, whereas the Spurs got the pick by being a contender that got hurt and decided to hold out their best player from coming back too soon.

Still that would be a good what if as well.

your thread is not going anywhere
If what you say is true, its because people like you make no sense.

Chronz
01-30-2013, 01:04 PM

Sorry bro but a thread like that is likely to get closed or ignored altogether.

Try to expand your hypotheticals to actual basketball related actions

RiceOnTheRun
01-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Here is a question:

I think it's tough, because he'd just go down as one of "The Spurs Greats" like if he went to a team like the Lakers or Bulls. Because he went to Cleveland/Miami he had no one to be compared to and made his own legacy because he's arguably the best player the two teams have ever had. Just like how D-Rose is stuck in MJ's shadow at times, that would've been LeBron stuck in Duncan's shadow for most of his early career. I'm also curious to see how Pop would've managed his ego as a young player.

Muttman73
01-30-2013, 03:05 PM
I'd hate him less, but he'd still be a **** head