PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Kobe will keep his play up...

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 06:55 PM
As long as it means the lakers keep winning? Or will he care to much about scoring and change his play again!

The last two games he's averaged I believe 19-14-9 68% shooting, now I'm not saying he'll keep averaging those assist or rebounds but can he possibly play that role for the rest of the year and average something like 24-10-7 53% the rest of the way?
If he does the lakers will be so hard to beat!

Sactown
01-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I don't think it will be his needs to score points to achieve personal accolades that is going to cause him to stop... It will be interesting to see when his players go through slumps and they start to lose by 10-14 points if he can stick to the game plan, or try to play hero ball.

AsiandudePH
01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Well, he usually has spurts of games like this before and then reverts back to his old "scorer" self.

But there's a first time for everything, so hopefully he keeps up this kind of play. It rubs off on everyone and helps the team tremendously.

b@llhog24
01-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Lol Kobe is not gonna average 10 assists.

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Well, he usually has spurts of games like this before and then reverts back to his old "scorer" self.

But there's a first time for everything, so hopefully he keeps up this kind of play. It rubs off on everyone and helps the team tremendously.

Yeah I'm thinking this Kobe will stay a little longer then all the others especially when all his teammates came out and have said how great he's been playing!

Nash and others have even called him Kobe Johnson in terms oh him playing like magic the last 2 games...

AsiandudePH
01-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Yeah I'm thinking this Kobe will stay a little longer then all the others especially when all his teammates came out and have said how great he's been playing!

Nash and others have even called him Kobe Johnson in terms oh him playing like magic the last 2 games...

True! I certainly hope that he'll keep the opponents guessing whether he'll shoot or pass. That dynamic alone changes the whole efficiency of the offense.

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 07:15 PM
As long as it means the lakers keep winning? Or will he care to much about scoring and change his play again!

The last two games he's averaged I believe 19-14-9 68% shooting, now I'm not saying he'll keep averaging those assist or rebounds but can he possibly play that role for the rest of the year and average something like 24-10-7 53% the rest of the way?

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 07:17 PM
True! I certainly hope that he'll keep the opponents guessing whether he'll shoot or pass. That dynamic alone changes the whole efficiency of the offense.

This! And it makes it so much easier for him as well his efficiency goes through the roof when he gets everyone involved!

City of Angels
01-28-2013, 07:17 PM
yea but i think 8 assists a game is more reasonable.

lakers4sho
01-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Yes, if kobe maintains the right mindset. with the change of Nash being a spot up shooter, the lakers have a better personnel to match the kobe playmaking offense.

Remember that kobe has done this earlier in the year. Actually at the beginning things were working quite well until teams figured out that morris wasnt much of a shooter, or scorer, or basketball player. With nash replacing him this hole is patched up and the offense flows much smoothly.

Also, the rest of the team has to buy into it too. Howard was struggling yesterday, but nash wasnt hesitant to take the shot and gasol played an active role, and the offense wasnt half bad.

justinnum1
01-28-2013, 07:29 PM
aren't you in the thread making mood today.

OceanSpray
01-28-2013, 07:32 PM
You really think he's going to average those numbers for the rest of the season? LeBron or Durant could do it... Kobe on the other hand can't.

tapajafri
01-28-2013, 07:34 PM
There's no way bryant cant be that unselfish for the duration of the rest of the season.

Bryant can try all he wants to be as unselfish as players like Lebron and Magic, but history tells us it simply won't happen. Bryant has had stretches like this before....and they always end up lasting just a few games. Then he reverts back to his old ways of taking most of the shots and not getting his teammates involved as much as he did during the short stretch.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 07:34 PM
I set the over under at number of games the rest of the year Kobe has more assists than shot attempts at 10.5

Sactown
01-28-2013, 07:38 PM
I set the over under at number of games the rest of the year Kobe has more assists than shot attempts at 10.5

Under, I doubt Kobe is going to have more assists than shot attempts in 25% of the remaining games this season.. seems unlikely, that's 1 in every four games... I think somewhere around 5.

raider_fan
01-28-2013, 07:38 PM
kobe has achnoledged on twitter that when hes assisting more they win

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Under, I doubt Kobe is going to have more assists than shot attempts in 25% of the remaining games this season.. seems unlikely, that's 1 in every four games... I think somewhere around 5.

If he does, more power to him, he will have gone against every natural basketball instinct he has in order to get his teammates involved. But I don't think he sniffs the number I listed honestly. Not sure if he even hits the 5 mark..

OceanSpray
01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
So does anyone else here notice the fact that Steve Nash is basically useless? With Kobe basically playing the PG, Nash is just a backup who never gets the ball. Terrible LAL management. They should've went after a bench.

HouRealCoach
01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Kobe will never average 10 assists lol, nor will he ever shoot 53% lol

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 07:46 PM
So does anyone else here notice the fact that Steve Nash is basically useless? With Kobe basically playing the PG, Nash is just a backup who never gets the ball. Terrible LAL management. They should've went after a bench.

or a coach...

Sactown
01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
If he does, more power to him, he will have gone against every natural basketball instinct he has in order to get his teammates involved. But I don't think he sniffs the number I listed honestly. Not sure if he even hits the 5 mark..

He'd have to be hyper efficient even if he were to surpass some of the best passing point guards in the league in asst numbers. Even averaging 15/8 on 10 shots a game would going against all natural basketball instincts he has lol.

lakers4sho
01-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Yes, if kobe maintains the right mindset. with the change of Nash being a spot up shooter, the lakers have a better personnel to match the kobe playmaking offense.

Remember that kobe has done this earlier in the year. Actually at the beginning things were working quite well until teams figured out that morris wasnt much of a shooter, or scorer, or basketball player. With nash replacing him this hole is patched up and the offense flows much smoothly.

Also, the rest of the team has to buy into it too. Howard was struggling yesterday, but nash wasnt hesitant to take the shot and gasol played an active role, and the offense wasnt half bad.

^^

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 07:52 PM
He'd have to be hyper efficient even if he were to surpass some of the best passing point guards in the league in asst numbers. Even averaging 15/8 on 10 shots a game would going against all natural basketball instincts he has lol.

how the hell did MJ lead the league in scoring, AND dish out 8 apg that one season? Crazy to me. 32.5-8-8 on awesome shooting. That seems impossible in the slower era.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
or a coach...
Actually a disagree, even if Nash isn't the Nash we're use to he's still hyper efficient shooting with a TS% of .617, EFG% .576, FT% .97. 3PT% .420 And a PER of 16.

Easily the best shooter in the league and has enormous understanding of the game and locker room presence. He's a prized asset and if anyone can get this team on the same page it's him. The coaching decision was a bone head decision, but passing up on Nash for that cheap might have been worse.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Actually a disagree, even if Nash isn't the Nash we're use to he's still hyper efficient shooting with a TS% of .617, EFG% .576, FT% .97. 3PT% .420 And a PER of 16.

Easily the best shooter in the league and has enormous understanding of the game and locker room presence. He's a prized asset and if anyone can get this team on the same page it's him. The coaching decision was a bone head decision, but passing up on Nash for that cheap might have been worse.

So, if you were the coach of the Lakers, would you not have him controlling the rock on the offensive side a lot more? That is my point. I am not saying signing Nash was the mistake..

Sactown
01-28-2013, 07:58 PM
how the hell did MJ lead the league in scoring, AND dish out 8 apg that one season? Crazy to me. 32.5-8-8 on awesome shooting. That seems impossible in the slower era.

Lol I have no clue, my only guess is, because he played over 40 minutes a game, had a usage% over 30 and his team as a whole almost shot 50%, and averaged 106 points a game. with a pace of 97?

Sactown
01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
So, if you were the coach of the Lakers, would you not have him controlling the rock on the offensive side a lot more? That is my point. I am not saying signing Nash was the mistake..

Hard to say, honestly, even if this seems like a ****** thing to do to Nash, I'd try to run the triangle and dominate in the post with Dwight/Pau/Kobe. With a mix of PR with Dwight. Let Nash decide when it's best to run the triangle and slow down, or speed it up and run PR's.. In the Triangle Nash would be a great floor spacer. And with his elite BBall IQ I doubt he'd chose the wrong decision very often.

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Not really. Nash is one of the best shooters in the league. If you watched yesterdays game, Westbrook had to go and help on Kobe leaving Nash open a bunch to either:
a) shoot
b) drive in and create a play

That's something the rest of the lakers' PGs still can't do.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Hard to say, honestly, even if this seems like a ****** thing to do to Nash, I'd try to run the triangle and dominate in the post with Dwight/Pau/Kobe. With a mix of PR with Dwight. Let Nash decide when it's best to run the triangle and slow down, or speed it up and run PR's.. In the Triangle Nash would be a great floor spacer. And with his elite BBall IQ I doubt he'd chose the wrong decision very often.

I can agree with that. At 39, you don't want to wear Nash out, but he should be taking more ownership if allowed.

ThaDubs
01-28-2013, 08:04 PM

Not 24-10-7... maybe 24-6-6, he's not good enough to put up those types of numbers consistently anymore.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 08:06 PM
I can agree with that. At 39, you don't want to wear Nash out, but he should be taking more ownership if allowed.

Exactly, let Nash pick his spots, because trying to outrun teams half your age for the entirety of the game isn't going to get you anywhere, and you're going to run your team into the ground far before the playoffs.. Stick to your advantages, Your Size, Bball IQ, and experience.. And those things seem to point to one thing in my eyes, The triangle.. especially now that they have a hyper efficient shooter at the PG position.

justinnum1
01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
lol at people thinking kobe can put up lebron numbers for half a season

ThaDubs
01-28-2013, 08:08 PM

The team gets almost 20 points a game just from his assists. Plus he puts up 12 a night.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Exactly, let Nash pick his spots, because trying to outrun teams half your age for the entirety of the game isn't going to get you anywhere, and you're going to run your team into the ground far before the playoffs.. Stick to your advantages, Your Size, Bball IQ, and experience.. And those things seem to point to one thing in my eyes, The triangle.. especially now that they have a hyper efficient shooter at the PG position.

The best part? In order to make the playoffs, the Lakers will need to run their team into the ground, and that makes me smile.

justinnum1
01-28-2013, 08:11 PM
The best part? In order to make the playoffs, the Lakers will need to run their team into the ground, and that makes me smile.

lol. If the lakers do make the 8th or 7th seed they would face okc, spurs or clippers and would be heavy underdogs.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM

The Lakers fans might be excited to see some wins with Kobe passing the ball, but what the lakers are doing is putting a band aids over a machete injury and taking morphine... Sure you might be feeling good, but you're going to die sooner oppose to later.

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 08:14 PM
lol at people thinking kobe can put up lebron numbers for half a season

Lol... Why does every thread have to involve Lebron?? Actually these are more Rajon Rondo type numbers.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
lol. If the lakers do make the 8th or 7th seed they would face okc, spurs or clippers and would be heavy underdogs.

They would be an underdog, but they will have had to been playing great basketball to have made it. I figure at minimum, they need to finish 25-13 to make it.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Lol... Why does every thread have to involve Lebron?? Actually these are more Rajon Rondo type numbers.

eww, don't ever compare Rondo's scoring ability with Kobe haha

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 08:16 PM

Lakers matchup pretty good against Spurs and Clippers actually.

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
eww, don't ever compare Rondo's scoring ability with Kobe haha

Hahah.. I was referring to the fact that Rondo usually is the one you see putting up 14/14/9 type games, compared to Lebron.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM

Spurs maybe, Clippers absolutely not, with their current style of play.. I trust CP3 and BG to play a run and gun style over Kobe and Dwight.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Hahah.. I was referring to the fact that Rondo usually is the one you see putting up 14/14/9 type games, compared to Lebron.

haha, I know, I know. Just seeing Rondo and Kobe in the same sentence made me kinda dry heave

justinnum1
01-28-2013, 08:20 PM

I would disagree.

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 08:25 PM
haha, I know, I know. Just seeing Rondo and Kobe in the same sentence made me kinda dry heave

lmao... I had trouble writing it ;)

Sssmush
01-28-2013, 08:25 PM

Nash >>> Phil Jackson.

After Nash retires, he will hopefully stay with the Lakers and eventually be their next hall of fame coach.

Kobe is obviously benefiting from Nash; Nash is perhaps one of only two or three guys in the WORLD that Kobe can learn some things from about basketball, and the two have reportedly been brainstorming and watching tons of film together.

AWESOME

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Spurs maybe, Clippers absolutely not, with their current style of play.. I trust CP3 and BG to play a run and gun style over Kobe and Dwight.

You will see next time they play against clippers. Problem they had that last game was they had Pau on Blake... Pau has proven he cannot guard PFs like Blake. He gets schooled every time. When they switched Howard onto Blake it was a different story.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
You will see next time they play against clippers. Problem they had that last game was they had Pau on Blake... Pau has proven he cannot guard PFs like Blake. He gets schooled every time. When they switched Howard onto Blake it was a different story.

The problem I have is the Clippers are better at the Lakers game than the Lakers are.. In a 7 game series playing run and gun the Lakers would tire down to quickly.

justinnum1
01-28-2013, 08:31 PM
The problem I have is the Clippers are better at the Lakers game than the Lakers are.. In a 7 game series playing run and gun the Lakers would tire down to quickly.

Not to mention CP3 would be the best player on the floor in that series. And i think the clippers learned a lot from from last seasons playoffs.

Chronz
01-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Jerry West did it

Kashmir13579
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Nash >>> Phil Jackson.

After Nash retires, he will hopefully stay with the Lakers and eventually be their next hall of fame coach.

Kobe is obviously benefiting from Nash; Nash is perhaps one of only two or three guys in the WORLD that Kobe can learn some things from about basketball, and the two have reportedly been brainstorming and watching tons of film together.

AWESOME
cool post

Hardaway Here
01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
I just don't see Kobe being that unselfish for the rest of the season. If he does continue playing like that though it would be some nice basketball

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
You really think he's going to average those numbers for the rest of the season? LeBron or Durant could do it... Kobe on the other hand can't.

You said durant could but Kobe can't? You sound really stupid saying that!

Sactown
01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
You said durant could but Kobe can't? You sound really stupid saying that!

Yeah that comment is clearly to troll, as OKC ranked 30th in assists last season, so I doubt Durant is going to come out and start averaging 8 a game.

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Steve Nash isn't useless he's been great for the lakers lately his shooting and helping Kobe get good shots have helped out tremendously

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah that comment is clearly to troll, as OKC ranked 30th in assists last season, so I doubt Durant is going to come out and start averaging 8 a game.

Yea I was like wtf?? @ that post.
Durant reminds me of a slightly better version of a prime T-Mac. Awesome, long scorer that was just almost impossible to guard. Never really passed it to well though.

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 08:54 PM

They'll be underdogs but heavy underdogs? Really? If the lakers make the playoffs that means that come that time they'll be hitting on all cylinders! Watch out!

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Who says the clippers are gonna be running and gunning? Sure the lakers played to the clippers tempo the first two matchups together but now the lakers have finally figured it out that playing inside out and slow tempo will help them win! That's why they beat OKC yesterday!

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 09:01 PM
They'll be underdogs but heavy underdogs? Really? If the lakers make the playoffs that means that come that time they'll be hitting on all cylinders! Watch out!

Yea I would say if they finished in the 8th seed, Guarantee whoever was in 1st would rather play any other team besides the lakers in that first round.

Collings94
01-28-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm not a laker fan, but Kobe is sometimes unfairly criticized for being obsessed with scoring. If it helps the Lakers win, then I think he will be more then happy to be more of a playmaker then a scorer, just expect him to still get the rock in the final minutes of a close game.

How bad is the sign that a team with Steve Nash needs Kobe Bryant to be a facilitator?

jerellh528
01-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Its pretty upsetting that kobe is so skilled that he can almost average a triple double on outstanding efficiency whenever he wants to, but instead chooses to score so much. I hope he sees that when he plays like that the lakers win.

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 09:22 PM
yea i would say if they finished in the 8th seed, guarantee whoever was in 1st would rather play any other team besides the lakers in that first round.

this!

xxplayerxx23
01-28-2013, 09:22 PM
:laugh:
1- Kobe will not shoot that well
2- Kobe will not shoot that little attempts
3- lakers are overreacting to two games it's funny

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Its pretty upsetting that kobe is so skilled that he can almost average a triple double on outstanding efficiency whenever he wants to, but instead chooses to score so much. I hope he sees that when he plays like that the lakers win.

Just imagine if Kobe played like this his whole career!! :speechless:

Best ever! Just imagine how many championships he would have brought?

bucketss
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
wait i thought laker fans thought kobes chucking was keeping them from having an even worse record?

Sactown
01-28-2013, 09:25 PM
1- Kobe will not shoot that well
2- Kobe will not shoot that little attempts
3- lakers are overreacting to two games it's funny

Kind if like Knicks fans through the start of the season? ;)

xxplayerxx23
01-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Yea I would say if they finished in the 8th seed, Guarantee whoever was in 1st would rather play any other team besides the lakers in that first round.

I agree 100% but I also see okc being the 1 seed and don't see la beating them. Or even the. Spurs tbh. Lal is a on and out IMO at best just don't see them beating anybody unless they can get to the 6 seed which is very unlikely

xxplayerxx23
01-28-2013, 09:26 PM

Yeah because 27-15 is pretty terrible. What a god awful team ;)

Baller1
01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
No.

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Just imagine if Kobe played like this his whole career!! :speechless:

Best ever! Just imagine how many championships he would have brought?

Only other time I could have seen where Kobe should have played like this was when they had Malone and Payton. The only reason this style of play (from Kobe) has been and will continue to be successful is because he's playing on the post and if someone comes to help, he has great players to kick it out to (Nash, Dwight, Gasol, MWP). Opponents notice that after a couple of times so they are forced to play Kobe 1vs1, which is why you are seeing his high % shooting too. You saw it last night.

A couple of times Westbrook would come over to help and Nash was left open. You can't really say other years Kobe was as lucky to have all these greats on his team and that's why you would always hear coaches say (against the Lakers) "We will have the other players beat us".

If Kobe continues this though, teams are put in a tough position because the other laker starters are all great players.

justinnum1
01-28-2013, 09:31 PM

lol

Sactown
Yeah because 27-15 is pretty terrible. What a god awful team ;)

The Knicks started 18-5 Since December 17th the Knicks have gone 9-10....

jerellh528
I think he is talented enough to do it, but just as long as his team mates are still knocking down shots. Otherwise at the first instance of his team stinking it up, kobe will resort back to his scoring ways.

bucketss
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
the nba is going back to their old ways kobes hero ball tactic inspired by the basketball devil himself jordan are fading away!

xxplayerxx23
01-28-2013, 09:41 PM
The Knicks started 18-5 Since December 17th the Knicks have gone 9-10....

Oh god a rough patch in a long season. What to do what to do? Panic!!!!!!!!!

Sactown
01-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Oh god a rough patch in a long season. What to do what to do? Panic!!!!!!!!!

So which Knicks team is it? 18-5 or 9-10? Knicks fans we're running around dancing at 18-5, but started talking less **** through this rough patch.. that's all I was saying, just like Lakers fans are getting hyped up now..

UPRock
01-28-2013, 09:46 PM

No way in hell, he's to selfish. He's going to revert to his scoring form soon enough.

Collings94
01-28-2013, 09:47 PM
This is a dumbass thread. You guys are taking a two game stretch and acting like he has the potential to do this all the time. "Imagine if he played his whole career like that." Give me a freaking break. Darius Miles scored 40 points in a game a few times, imagine if he played his whole career like that.

xxplayerxx23
01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
So which Knicks team is it? 18-5 or 9-10? Knicks fans we're running around dancing at 18-5, but started talking less **** through this rough patch.. that's all I was saying, just like Lakers fans are getting hyped up now..

1- this isn't a Knicks thread and lol two games really? Some la fans are delusional
2- the Knicks are closer to 18-5 then a 9-10 team. They take care of the ball have a star and if we are allowed to go crazy over 2 games hell ill go bonkers over amare. He's been an beast the last 4 adding rebounding and nice looking post game. You made this knock related but you don't like bringing up our injuries and the fact that we are 27-15 and 1 and a half games out from Miami. Maybe focus on your team a little more before attacking mine when i stated a fact about this crazy thread

Sactown
01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
1- this isn't a Knicks thread and lol two games really? Some la fans are delusional
2- the Knicks are closer to 18-5 then a 9-10 team. They take care of the ball have a star and if we are allowed to go crazy over 2 games hell ill go bonkers over amare. He's been an beast the last 4 adding rebounding and nice looking post game. You made this knock related but you don't like bringing up our injuries and the fact that we are 27-15 and 1 and a half games out from Miami. Maybe focus on your team a little more before attacking mine when i stated a fact about this crazy thread

My comparison came from you knocking Kobe's efficiency, when Melo in the first month and a half posted efficiency head and shoulders above his career average and Knicks fans credited it to team play, but as of late, Melo's efficiency has been dropping, posting some pretty bad games...
Now Kobe is playing efficiently and playing more of a pass first guard in the last 2 games, and you're saying he's going to go back to his chucking ways..
Melo had been playing team ball more so through the first month in a half, but lately his shot attempts have gone up... same comparison.. the Lakers have had a poor start in the beginning of the season, but hell, maybe they have found the solution, and you're calling it a fluke.. just like many could say that 18-5 start is a fluke, and they've come down to the norm...

Injuries you bring up?
Nash, out months or so?
Pau out for 10ish games
Hell they were down to their 3rd string PG for a few weeks...
Dwight still isn't healthy... The Knicks haven't faced the injuries LA has... so yes.. They're comparable..

Collings94
01-28-2013, 10:03 PM
The Lakers have a better chance of making the finals then the Knicks do. There, I said it.

xxplayerxx23
01-28-2013, 10:09 PM
My comparison came from you knocking Kobe's efficiency, when Melo in the first month and a half posted efficiency head and shoulders above his career average and Knicks fans credited it to team play, but as of late, Melo's efficiency has been dropping, posting some pretty bad games...
Now Kobe is playing efficiently and playing more of a pass first guard in the last 2 games, and you're saying he's going to go back to his chucking ways..
Melo had been playing team ball more so through the first month in a half, but lately his shot attempts have gone up... same comparison.. the Lakers have had a poor start in the beginning of the season, but hell, maybe they have found the solution, and you're calling it a fluke.. just like many could say that 18-5 start is a fluke, and they've come down to the norm...

Injuries you bring up?
Nash, out months or so?
Pau out for 10ish games
Hell they were down to their 3rd string PG for a few weeks...
Dwight still isn't healthy... The Knicks haven't faced the injuries LA has... so yes.. They're comparable..

I knocked Kobe's efficientcy that the op brought up. Not a chance Kobe shoots 53% the rest of the year or puts up 24-10-7 do you disagree with that? A fluke really? You look at the box score and assume melo isn't helping his team?
He has been in a stretch where his shooting is bad but how come there a fluke? I didn't compare the Knicks injuries too the lakers. Felton missingb12 games shumpert amare our whole backups plan for chandler. Don't make it see m like this doesn't hurt. Knicks aren't an 18-5 team all year no team really is. But they are a 48-53 win team and when healthy can compete with any team

xxplayerxx23
01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
The Lakers have a better chance of making the finals then the Knicks do. There, I said it.

And your so far wrong. Lakers have to fight from a 7th seed and beat the big west teams no way they do it sorry.

Sactown
01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
I knocked Kobe's efficientcy that the op brought up. Not a chance Kobe shoots 53% the rest of the year or puts up 24-10-7 do you disagree with that? A fluke really? You look at the box score and assume melo isn't helping his team?
He has been in a stretch where his shooting is bad but how come there a fluke? I didn't compare the Knicks injuries too the lakers. Felton missingb12 games shumpert amare our whole backups plan for chandler. Don't make it see m like this doesn't hurt. Knicks aren't an 18-5 team all year no team really is. But they are a 48-53 win team and when healthy can compete with any team

My point is, you're so quick to bash other teams, starting with the Lakers, than trying to turn around and bash the Kings, but if something is said about the Knicks you become super defensive.. my point is... don't bash and mock other teams and their fan bases when you become irrational when your team is questioned.. Try being more understanding.

Collings94
01-28-2013, 10:18 PM
The Knicks have already played at their peak, and I don't see them being good enough to get by the other teams in the East. The Lakers are still the great unknown. They have the potential to chainsaw there way through the West. We have no idea how good they can really be.

Your a knicks fan, which is fine, but it makes your opinion on the matter biased.

fresh prince
01-28-2013, 10:22 PM

This exactly. He does this almost every year. At some point he goes on insane scoring binges 10 straight 30 + or 5 straight 40 plus games. Then like now he will go on this flirting with a triple double for 4-5 straight game binge. Its almost like he checks his stats and then plays accordingly. Prior to this assist binge he dipped under 5 APG on the season.

I think he should just start to alternate his attack from game to game. Drop 40 one night and then do the 20 12 9 game the next day. That would be fun to watch and good for the team and keep the other team off balance when game planning.

bluefire7002
01-28-2013, 10:22 PM
And your so far wrong. Lakers have to fight from a 7th seed and beat the big west teams no way they do it sorry.

Why does that really matter though? If lakers play the best team in the west (thunder) the first round or the 3rd round?? Thunder are good enough either way so we know they are going to advance and IF the Lakers were to play someone else the first round and advance, chances are they play the thunder. Same thing with Knicks. Whether they play Miami in the 1st round or in the 3rd round. Chances are they still have to get through Miami in order to get through the finals.

It's very rare in the NBA were a team that's an average playoff team (not elite) will go ahead and upset the top teams for 4 out of 7 games. And I know, although Lakers record shows otherwise I think if they get it together we all know they have the pieces to have that elite type team.

xxplayerxx23
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
My point is, you're so quick to bash other teams, starting with the Lakers, than trying to turn around and bash the Kings, but if something is said about the Knicks you become super defensive.. my point is... don't bash and mock other teams and their fan bases when you become irrational when your team is questioned.. Try being more understanding.

Bash? Lakers are a disappointment. I have said they will be the 8 seed for at least two weeks now. I net bashes the kings. I wasn't irrational. If Kobe puts up 24-10-7 and the lakers beat okc the spurs and the clippers in the playoffs ill come in and eat crow. I would love Kobe putting up those numbers, my fantasy team will flourish if he does

sep11ie
01-28-2013, 10:24 PM
If JNoel believes, I believe.

sep11ie
01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
I also think Colby will find a way to pass the ball to himself so he gets points and assists on the same play, which could also lead to some self fights if he misses an open shot from a sweet dime from himself.

Collings94
01-28-2013, 10:31 PM
The reason I don't believe in the Knicks is that they don't play good D, and defense wins in the playoffs. They are on closer to the top then the bottom when it comes to PPG, but that is because they play a more half-court style. They are tied for 18th in opponents FG%, and 2 of their 3 top players are total defensive liabilities. Chandler can't cover everybody.

b@llhog24
01-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Yea I was like wtf?? @ that post.
Durant reminds me of a slightly better version of a prime T-Mac. Awesome, long scorer that was just almost impossible to guard. Never really passed it to well though.

Tmac was an excellent passer.

Or they'll burn themselves out.

Who says the clippers are gonna be running and gunning? Sure the lakers played to the clippers tempo the first two matchups together but now the lakers have finally figured it out that playing inside out and slow tempo will help them win! That's why they beat OKC yesterday!

Clippers are one of the better halfcourt teams in the league.

wait i thought laker fans thought kobes chucking was keeping them from having an even worse record?

It was convenient to them at the time, so they ran with it.

I think he is talented enough to do it, but just as long as his team mates are still knocking down shots. Otherwise at the first instance of his team stinking it up, kobe will resort back to his scoring ways.

Yep.

Yea, I was trying to tell them that their impressive record was mostly due to the small sample size. Their response? "The Knicks are back."

This exactly. He does this almost every year. At some point he goes on insane scoring binges 10 straight 30 + or 5 straight 40 plus games. Then like now he will go on this flirting with a triple double for 4-5 straight game binge. Its almost like he checks his stats and then plays accordingly. Prior to this assist binge he dipped under 5 APG on the season.

I think he should just start to alternate his attack from game to game. Drop 40 one night and then do the 20 12 9 game the next day. That would be fun to watch and good for the team and keep the other team off balance when game planning.

Sounds like a certain Miami Heat player. :whistle:

amos1er
01-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Kobe will do whatever it take to win. If it's scoring, then he will score, if it's passing, then he will pass. It's no accident that Kobe is the most prolific winner of his generation. He is now proving that he can play any style it takes to win. His basketball IQ and skill set are second to none. He can literally do it all when he wants to. He is the best in the league in post play and P&R scoring. He easily has the best all around skill set and foot work in the history of the game. We are all lucky that he is still in this league playing at such a high level. A true testament to his insane work ethic which is also second to none. So to answer the question, yes Kobe will keep up his play.

Collings94
01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Kobe will do whatever it take to win. If it's scoring, then he will score, if it's passing, then he will pass. It's no accident that Kobe is the most prolific winner of his generation. He is now proving that he can play any style it takes to win. His basketball IQ and skill set are second to none. He can literally do it all when he wants to. He is the best in the league in post play and P&R scoring. He easily has the best all around skill set and foot work in the history of the game. We are all lucky that he is still in this league playing at such a high level. A true testament to his insane work ethic which is also second to none. So to answer the question, yes Kobe will keep up his play.

It must have been hard to type that while simultaneously blowing Kobe.

justinnum1
01-28-2013, 11:58 PM

Post of the year so far.

Doogolas
01-29-2013, 12:21 AM
I honestly think Kobe just loves to troll people. Everyone calls him selfish, so he goes overboard getting assists just to give everyone the finger. He'll do it until they lose, and he'll do it while winking at the proverbial camera.

And it's both hilarious, and awesome. Also, for everyone saying he won't adjust his game or will revert back super fast, it's worth noting that just before this season he said this:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8724362/the-kobe-question

Keep in mind that was this year. So maybe Kobe will change it up. He won't average 14 assists per game. But I think he'll run things if that's what will make his teammates play best.

BKdoubleStacker
01-29-2013, 01:00 AM

cmon man. As a fellow laker fan, take his nuts out of your mouth

kArSoN RyDaH
01-29-2013, 01:05 AM
The real question would be, if Lakers go on a winning streak and end up 4th or 5th with Kobe maintaining these #s, would he be MVP?

b@llhog24
01-29-2013, 01:36 AM
cmon man. As a fellow laker fan, take his nuts out of your mouth

b@llhog24
01-29-2013, 01:38 AM
The real question would be, if Lakers go on a winning streak and end up 4th or 5th with Kobe maintaining these #s, would he be MVP?

How many MVP's have been on 4th seeded teams? Basically his chances are slim to none. Especially since Durant/Cp3/LeBron and to a lesser extent Melo are having superior statistical seasons while leading their team to more wins.

Baller1
01-29-2013, 04:15 AM

Yes. Just, yes.

Well said sir.

sunsfan88
01-29-2013, 04:30 AM
There is no way in hell Kobe is going to keep up this method of pass first basketball.

Doesn't matter if the team's winning, Kobe needs to get his buckets or it doesn't satisfy him. Can't blame him, that's how he's developed and without it, who knows if Lakers have 4 of the rings they have now.

Sssmush
01-29-2013, 06:50 AM

I mean, we are talking about, literally, one of the greatest scorers in the history of the game. So in general if Kobe scores a lot of points that should be a plus.

This season though, I mean I don't want to rehash all the various factors with the coaching and the team, but it does seem that going forward if Kobe has discovered he can win games by putting focusing his efforts on getting 10+ assists and shooting 60%+ and defending and distributing... then I think he is capable of sustaining that. What we would hope is that as the wins pile up and everyone starts to praise him, maybe even some peripheral MVP talk or whatever starts, then Kobe will get more and more interested and identified with being this new hybrid point guard Kobe who is blowing everybody's mind. And as the team chemistry improves, the wins will just increase and then when a title might be in reach... I mean this could be an extremely interesting season for Kobe's career.

As another poster pointed out, Kobe's had triple doubles and balanced games before, but what is different this year is all the good players on the team. I mean he's not having to dish to Luke Walton, Fisher, Bynum and Sasha or something; he's got some serious weapons at his disposal, and if they try to double Kobe or whoever they try to double or defend more it's gonna be tough. I mean you can lob to Dwight, you can drive and dish to Nash, Metta, Jamison, Gasol, which is crazy. Or you can just be Kobe and make your own shot, or play give and go with Nash, or spot up as Nash goes pick and roll with Dwight, it's crazy. We all wondered how this might look and it is possible that now we might get to see it.

:)

lakers4sho
01-29-2013, 07:08 AM

you know the answer to that.

Supa
01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Most people's expectations are unrealistic. No other player can change their games in an instant like Kobe did, but even Kobe cannot be expected to average double digits assists the rest of the way.

---

Sssmush
01-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Most people's expectations are unrealistic. No other player can change their games in an instant like Kobe did, but even Kobe cannot be expected to average double digits assists the rest of the way.

---

I get what you are saying and you make a good point... but I don't know... we might be seeing something very special or very unusual right now... Kobe might be lighting a spark here that could really elevate his career another few notches, doing something that Jordan never did. It's very interesting.

I mean Kobe is still gonna create shots and still gonna score, but wow if he eventually makes it his top mission to be a great playmaker... wow.

Doogolas
01-29-2013, 10:03 AM
I get what you are saying and you make a good point... but I don't know... we might be seeing something very special or very unusual right now... Kobe might be lighting a spark here that could really elevate his career another few notches, doing something that Jordan never did. It's very interesting.

I mean Kobe is still gonna create shots and still gonna score, but wow if he eventually makes it his top mission to be a great playmaker... wow.

Jordan once put up 32.5/8/8. This wouldn't be something Jordan never did.

Chronz
01-29-2013, 11:17 AM
LOL What didn't MJ do now?

Money_23
01-29-2013, 03:18 PM

being accused of rape.

Lakerfan In NY
01-29-2013, 05:36 PM
being accused of rape.

No. Jordan kept his hoes & booky in check.

Sssmush
01-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Jordan never averaged 10+ assists.

The most assists Jordan ever had in a single game was 17, in 1989 against Portland, which is more than Kobe's highest assist total to date, which is 15.

However Kobe did just get 14 assists back to back, which I'm pretty sure Jordan never did, and if Kobe keeps playing around like this, really, how long is it till he drops 20+ assists on some team? Or goes crazy for like 35 assists or something?

Again, Jordan is inviolate in his hermetically sealed bubble of awesomeness and eternal greatness, but I'm just saying. I will definitely be watching the rest of Kobe's games this season because he is playing uber fantastic. The footwork on that last dagger jumpshot against OKC was mindblowing.

Cheers!

Hawkeye15
01-29-2013, 06:26 PM

The most assists Jordan ever had in a single game was 17, in 1989 against Portland, which is more than Kobe's highest assist total to date, which is 15.

However Kobe did just get 14 assists back to back, which I'm pretty sure Jordan never did, and if Kobe keeps playing around like this, really, how long is it till he drops 20+ assists on some team? Or goes crazy for like 35 assists or something?

Again, Jordan is inviolate in his hermetically sealed bubble of awesomeness and eternal greatness, but I'm just saying. I will definitely be watching the rest of Kobe's games this season because he is playing uber fantastic. The footwork on that last dagger jumpshot against OKC was mindblowing.

Cheers!

Jordan had 3 seasons with a higher assist rate than Kobe's career best, and even led the league in scoring while average 8 assists and 8 rebounds one season. Both were willing passers when needed, and both were good passers. But to think Kobe has all of a sudden morphed into a LeBron type willing passer is a bit much imo.

lakers4sho
01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
5 rings

Sssmush
01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Jordan had 3 seasons with a higher assist rate than Kobe's career best, and even led the league in scoring while average 8 assists and 8 rebounds one season. Both were willing passers when needed, and both were good passers. But to think Kobe has all of a sudden morphed into a LeBron type willing passer is a bit much imo.

Yeah... but Jordan has never averaged 10+ assists, so if Kobe does that it will be something he has on Jordan.

And as far as Lebron is concerned... we all know that Lebron is incredible on a physical level, but if we're honest about it we also know that Kobe is (at this point anyway) vastly more skilled than Lebron. So it's not at all farfetched that Kobe could be a better playmaker than Lebron; for one thing he has more of a perimeter game, which gives him an advantage in some sense. Lebron is stronger and taller, and can elevate more and power inside, which gives him a lot of advantages, but really, there's no reason to think that Kobe couldn't average more assists and be a better playmaker than Lebron if he put his mind to it.

Honestly, some of Lebron's playmaking is rather silly, such as him overpowering four defenders charging to the basket, elevating 2 feet from the rim, then coming down in traffic and handing it to Bosh right next to him or something. Lebron is a great player but he is nowhere near in the class of CP3 or Nash when it comes to playmaking. That should be fairly obvious if we're real about it.

lakers4sho
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Lets be real, im one of the biggest colby homers on this site, but if theres one thing james has him beat, its playmaking. Theres no debate there. Brons court vision is off the charts. The size just enhances his game, in that department.

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-30-2013, 12:05 AM
5 ast for Kobe in the 1st quarter! On pace for 20 vs the pelicans!

ManRam
01-30-2013, 12:07 AM
My god.

People are saying "Kobe could be a better play-maker than LeBron if he wanted to".

FOH.

2 games clouding your judgement this much?!? LeBron's been an amazing passer his entire career. Kobe has been an amazing passer for 2 games.

seikou8
01-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Yeah... but Jordan has never averaged 10+ assists, so if Kobe does that it will be something he has on Jordan.

And as far as Lebron is concerned... we all know that Lebron is incredible on a physical level, but if we're honest about it we also know that Kobe is (at this point anyway) vastly more skilled than Lebron. So it's not at all farfetched that Kobe could be a better playmaker than Lebron; for one thing he has more of a perimeter game, which gives him an advantage in some sense. Lebron is stronger and taller, and can elevate more and power inside, which gives him a lot of advantages, but really, there's no reason to think that Kobe couldn't average more assists and be a better playmaker than Lebron if he put his mind to it.

Honestly, some of Lebron's playmaking is rather silly, such as him overpowering four defenders charging to the basket, elevating 2 feet from the rim, then coming down in traffic and handing it to Bosh right next to him or something. Lebron is a great player but he is nowhere near in the class of CP3 or Nash when it comes to playmaking. That should be fairly obvious if we're real about it.

kobe willl never average 10 assists

Sssmush
01-30-2013, 01:00 AM
My god.

People are saying "Kobe could be a better play-maker than LeBron if he wanted to".

FOH.

2 games clouding your judgement this much?!? LeBron's been an amazing passer his entire career. Kobe has been an amazing passer for 2 games.

It's indisputable that Kobe is a more skilled player than Lebron. Lebron may emphasize passing and playmaking more but let's be real there's nothing he's ever done that Kobe can't also do, except for hall down monster rebounds in traffic, or lift 3 bodies into the air and dunking and stuff like that.

Sssmush
01-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Kobe assist highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ye3D2nagUs

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-30-2013, 01:15 AM
It's indisputable that Kobe is a more skilled player than Lebron. Lebron may emphasize passing and playmaking more but let's be real there's nothing he's ever done that Kobe can't also do, except for hall down monster rebounds in traffic, or lift 3 bodies into the air and dunking and stuff like that.

He may not be a better playmaker them lebron but he sure isn't worse either when he wants to he's just as good!

10 assist already 1 quarter and 35 seconds to go!

HoopsMachine
01-30-2013, 02:05 AM
well not going to put a statistical projection for how he finishes this season, but overall his team benefits more with him playing this kind of role vs. his old hero ball scorer mentality. I can definitely see him though sticking to this role for the rest of the season.

lakers4sho
01-30-2013, 02:07 AM
14 points 11 assists 8 rebs

DaLakerz Rulz
01-30-2013, 02:08 AM
14 points 11 assists 8 rebs

Rebounds are killing him lol

ewing
01-30-2013, 02:09 AM
He's been at least pretty good since 1997. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he is going to continue to play well

ewing
01-30-2013, 02:09 AM

GREATNESS ONE
01-30-2013, 02:22 AM
5 rings

:worthy:

Black Mamba.

Lim
01-30-2013, 02:33 AM
No he wont keep this play up. lmfao. but if he played like this for his whole career he would have 8 championships right now.

Doogolas
01-30-2013, 02:38 AM
No he wont keep this play up. lmfao. but if he played like this for his whole career he would have 8 championships right now.

That's just absurd. Watch:

If Kobe played like this his whole career, humans would have mutated wings and Michael Jordan would be playing at 50 instead of failing miserably as an owner.

That's true. I'm not kidding. That is literally 100% true.

So is what you said, but so is this:

If Kobe played like this his whole career he'd have no rings.

Lim
01-30-2013, 02:41 AM
That's just absurd. Watch:

If Kobe played like this his whole career, humans would have mutated wings and Michael Jordan would be playing at 50 instead of failing miserably as an owner.

That's true. I'm not kidding. That is literally 100% true.

So is what you said, but so is this:

If Kobe played like this his whole career he'd have no rings.

i meant if he played more of a facilitator than a selfish chucker he would have more rings easily.

hidalgo
01-30-2013, 02:46 AM
i knew these turds wouldn't miss the playoffs. no super team ever has or ever will. it's impossible with that roster. it's funny, if Kobe doesn't shoot a billion times he has to get all the assists, can't let Nash handle that can you ego maniac boy?

DLCK
01-30-2013, 02:54 AM
i knew these turds wouldn't miss the playoffs. no super team ever has or ever will. it's impossible with that roster. it's funny, if Kobe doesn't shoot a billion times he has to get all the assists, can't let Nash handle that can you ego maniac boy?

He did let Nash rack up the assists it just wasn't working.

Avenged
01-30-2013, 02:56 AM

you're trying way too hard at this point.

GREATNESS ONE
01-30-2013, 03:13 AM
^llullz pretty much.

sunsfan88
01-30-2013, 03:16 AM
He's an ego maniac boy because he's giving up the ball and set others up to score?

Your making Kobe haters look bad. If you want better Kobe jokes, PM me.

bluefire7002
01-30-2013, 04:10 AM
He's an ego maniac boy because he's giving up the ball and set others up to score?

Your making Kobe haters look bad. If you want better Kobe jokes, PM me.

:clap:

ThaDubs
01-30-2013, 05:06 AM
He may not be a better playmaker them lebron but he sure isn't worse either when he wants to he's just as good!

10 assist already 1 quarter and 35 seconds to go!

No... LeBron's passes are prettier than Kobe's and if he went scoreless he could grab 15 boards and get 20+ assists.

amos1er
01-30-2013, 05:11 AM
No... LeBron's passes are prettier than Kobe's and if he went scoreless he could grab 15 boards and get 20+ assists.

lol...I'm sure Kobe could grab 15 boards too if he played power forward with Bosh as a center on a team in the bottom 5 in rebounding. :rolleyes:

Oh and I think it's even funnier that you think lebron could get 20 assists playing along side Nash and Pau. If he did, that would be some heavy stat hogging and I'm sure none of you Lebronites would even think that is similar in any way to Kobe chucking up shots.

thenaj17
01-30-2013, 09:25 AM

Cheers!

Can you possibly travel any further up Kobe's rectum right now?

Let's just not overreact to every single good game a top player has. Over 10 assists is not Kobe's norm and it won't stay that way the whole season. He may average 7-8 apg for the rest of the way but chill out.

whitemamba33
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
And of course this turns into a Kobe hate thread.

No wonder he doesn't give a $#$# what anyone thinks of him.

3RDASYSTEM
01-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Let me get this straight

MAGIC was his idol growing up but since he didnt get to 6'9'' he started playing/scoring like JORDAN?

I called him a scoring version of PIPP(MAGIC) from his inception and he scored/hogged because he wanted to mirrorimage JORDAN, and now he has 'changed' his game?

he was PIPP(MAGIC) when he first entered from his onball D/versatility, BEAN been guarding lil guys like AI/BEST and others since his inception so this is nothing new, its just him going back to his true old form....perception is a ***** these days, they can reward or ruin a person in same breath, perception is because of 30k points hes this allworld scorer, but a 7ppg-15-19ppg his first 3yrs is right on par what he should avg now for them to win big, because SHAQ(another 30ppg scorer) is not walking thru that door to help him carry his weak 30ppg to win, so if he continue to avg no more than 18ppg, like i said they will compete big

play your game(PIPP/MAGIC style), not a mirrorimage of what you're not JORDAN but aspire to be

onlythisfar41
01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
I mean I think we all know if he wanted to continue playing like this he could, but no I don't believe that he will continue to play the way he has been. There's too large of a sample size dictating the type of player he is and a couple of games showing otherwise isn't enough to sway me.

JayW_1023
01-30-2013, 02:23 PM
I hope so. I prefer this Kobe to the one who plays incessant hero ball by a mile.

lakers4sho
01-30-2013, 04:58 PM
LeBryan Nash

el hidalgo
01-30-2013, 05:06 PM
this is ridiculous. so kobe averages over 10 assist a few games and all of the sudden he is better at passing than lebron?

kobe is a notorious stat padder. he is more than likely padding assists so people dont blame him for the garbage that is the 2012-13 lakers.

LAKERMANIA
01-30-2013, 05:12 PM
this is ridiculous. so kobe averages over 10 assist a few games and all of the sudden he is better at passing than lebron?

kobe is a notorious stat padder. he is more than likely padding assists so people dont blame him for the garbage that is the 2012-13 lakers.
Wow.

HouRealCoach
01-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Kobe is no where near as good as a passer as LeBron lol

Just like you guys thought Kobe would keep shooting 55% this year you think he will average ten assists or something lol :pity:

Sssmush
01-30-2013, 05:21 PM

That is a fair criticism actually. In the preseason I even started a thread saying that I thought Kobe was kinda competing with Nash, when he suddenly started doing a lot of behind the back passes and fancy assists.

At this point in the season though, with the Lakers having legitimately hit rock bottom and now found the ladder upward... I think what we're seeing is genuine. Kobe and Nash have become friends obviously, but both guys are ultimate competitors, and I think that Kobe has seen what Nash can do up close every day now and I think something of that is rubbing off on him. Kobe wants to be able to control a game, facilitate and make other players better, the way that Nash does, and Kobe has taken it upon himself to prove that he can change his game in order to do that.

The fact that a lot of very knowledgeable posters on this forum are saying things like "yeah, he had a few good games, but nobody is capable of changing their game overnight like that and becoming a 10 assists a game playmaker" demonstrates how awesome this might be. A lot of fans can start to see that this might be a truly worthy quest for Kobe, that if Kobe can pull this off he will have done something that is beyond Jordan, and will have overshadowed Magic once and for all in LA. (maybe if the Lakers are in the Finals, and the other team has a 6'10" center, Kobe could switch to center and get fed the ball all game and score 42 points, and then everybody can proclaim Kobe as the greatest legend in Laker history. Kobe catching the ball down low and scoring 42 points isn't exactly something we've never seen, after all).

Seriously, if Kobe can pull this off, and instantly change his game and become one of the premiere handful of playmakers in the NBA, he will have truly elevated himself and will totally kick all the Kobe haters and media detractors squarely in the nuts. Jeez, even after 3 games we're already hearing people say "well why didn't he always do this?" Forgetting of course that he's one of the greatest scorers of all time who has won five championships and had a nearly flawless career.

And now we seem to be starting a whole new phase...

lakers4sho
01-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Wait, so there is a hidalgo, and an el hidalgo? Llulz

Bruno
01-30-2013, 05:24 PM
three straight games with more assists than FGA. impressive.

bluefire7002
01-30-2013, 05:25 PM

Hahah I know i thought i was seeing things :laugh2:

LAKERMANIA
01-30-2013, 05:48 PM

Yeah the NBA forum mods are so smart.

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Well the good thing about the Laker making the playoffs is we won't have to see your *** anymore. Don't forget about our account bet. Just to let everyone know, If the lakers make the playoffs this clown can not post of the site anymore. Please check our post history to verify.

Don't go Dnewguy on us.

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Wait there are two hidalgos? Which one of you fools made that account bet with me.

jayjay33
01-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Here's my question for the people who think it wont last. What's his alternative? In the past you could say he won MORE when he played like this. An when he shot alot he won may have won LESS but he he still won, he still had winning teams.

But this is COMPLETELY different. The lakers were playing like the worst team in basketball. An now they are playing well. It's sound to me like people are saying that kobe will lose every game and be part of the worst team in the leauge before he will keep passing. An that's just abusrd, nobody's gonna do that.

So that's my question, if they are winning most games when he passes and losing most game when he doesn't (never been like that before) then what choice does he really have?

LAKERMANIA
01-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Well the good thing about the Laker making the playoffs is we won't have to see your *** anymore. Don't forget about our account bet. Just to let everyone know, If the lakers make the playoffs this clown can not post of the site anymore. Please check our post history to verify.

Don't go Dnewguy on us.

Sig the agreement

bluefire7002
01-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Sig the agreement

+1

bluefire7002
01-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Here's my question for the people who think it wont last. What's his alternative? In the past you could say he won MORE when he played like this. An when he shot alot he won may have won LESS but he he still won, he still had winning teams.

But this is COMPLETELY different. The lakers were playing like the worst team in basketball. An now they are playing well. It's sound to me like people are saying that kobe will lose every game and be part of the worst team in the leauge before he will keep passing. An that's just abusrd, nobody's gonna do that.

So that's my question, if they are winning most games when he passes and losing most game when he doesn't (never been like that before) then what choice does he really have?

Exactly... He's not an idiot. He knows this is the key to winning as half the season has passed and the team was way below .500 with him averaging 30 PPG. Im sure he knows the severe criticism he will receive too if he goes back to shooting more and team starts losing again. All the blame will go on him.

IVgramps
01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
When the D'antoni got on board as coach there was too much hype on the reunion with Nash, which didn't make sense cause Nash clearly isn't as aggressive as he used to be. I'm glad to see that Kobe is running the offense. The beautiful thing is that, on top of Kobe racking up these assists, his dishes to Gasol and Nash are usually given seconds to Pearl Clark and Dwight. The Lakers were 34 assists on 39 field goals last night and thats a beautiful thing.

el hidalgo
01-31-2013, 01:26 AM
Wait there are two hidalgos? Which one of you fools made that account bet with me.

that was me bro. cant wait to see you gone when the pukeshow miss the playoffs

ThaDubs
01-31-2013, 02:21 AM
that was me bro. cant wait to see you gone when the pukeshow miss the playoffs

What was the bet

ThaDubs
01-31-2013, 02:24 AM
Nvm. So wait when the Lakers miss the playoffs Illusionist is gone? :clap:

JasonJohnHorn
01-31-2013, 11:39 AM
As many of you know the Lakers had a team meeting prior to the Memphis game and "reset" their season, making a fresh start. That didn't last long though as Howard went down early in the game and the Lakers racked up another loss. Kobe record 3 assists that game and lead the team in scoring.

Since that game though the Lakers are 3-1, and though last night's loss to the Suns is a bit embarrassing, they did get wins over playoff teams as they beat the Jazz, and the league's best team in the Thunder. If the Lakers keep up the winning percentage they've posted in the last four game, it will be good enough to squeeze into the playoffs.

The odd thing is, over the last 4 games, Kobe is averaging a double-double (averaging 12 assists per game) as he has taken on the role of play maker, having back-to-back 14 assist games, and then handing out 11 dimes the next time out, and 9 last night. I've been a critic of Bryant largely because I've always seen him as a selfish player, and see guys like Bird, Magic, and Duncan as being better than Bryant because they were such great facilitators. Kobe though seems to have gone into facilitator mode and his team is reaping the benefits. My hope is to see Kobe fully embrace this role from here on out, but I suspect he may return to his typical style of play soon.

So what do you think? Do you think Kobe as the play maker is here to stay? Or is this just a statistical anomaly? And if Kobe does embrace this role of facilitator, what do you think it means for the Lakers? Good or bad? I just wish he had done this years ago, because I think he really could have been a really special player had been been more of a facilitator, though that said he is, even with the style of play he has used, he is the second best SG of all time and arguably the most successful player of his generation.

shep33
01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Don't know how many people watched the game yesterday, but I think it was Dragic who said their gameplan was double Kobe and force him to kick it to the corners.

He did that, and Metta shot 10 threes, I'd say 9 of which were with nobody within 10 feet of him. Bricks. Then Clark missed his, even Nash couldn't hit anything. I'd say a good 60-65% of those were off of Kobe kick outs. Nobody could hit a shot.

He passed the ball well again yesterday, but we just couldn't buy a shot.

beasted86
01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Can we stop talking about the Lakers making the playoffs until they reach over .500? I think that's only fair and logical.

Kobe will probably not maintain this level of assists because to the way I see it there aren't enough shot makers on the Lakers who are consistent. Nash is the only consistent knock down shooter I see on the team. Blake, Meeks, Artest, Gasol and Jamison are all inconsistent with their jumpshots. I still feel Clark is just going through a hot streak as he's never been a consistent high percentage outside shooter on any team, nor in college at Louisville. So when some of these shooters come down off their streak, Kobe will be forced to either score or watch teammates chuck up brick after brick such as last night in the 4th.

TheNumber37
01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Kobe has 3 straight games with double digit assists. must be a first time in his career.

RaiderLakersA's
01-31-2013, 12:10 PM
As many of you know the Lakers had a team meeting prior to the Memphis game and "reset" their season, making a fresh start. That didn't last long though as Howard went down early in the game and the Lakers racked up another loss. Kobe record 3 assists that game and lead the team in scoring.

Since that game though the Lakers are 3-1, and though last night's loss to the Suns is a bit embarrassing, they did get wins over playoff teams as they beat the Jazz, and the league's best team in the Thunder. If the Lakers keep up the winning percentage they've posted in the last four game, it will be good enough to squeeze into the playoffs.

The odd thing is, over the last 4 games, Kobe is averaging a double-double (averaging 12 assists per game) as he has taken on the role of play maker, having back-to-back 14 assist games, and then handing out 11 dimes the next time out, and 9 last night. I've been a critic of Bryant largely because I've always seen him as a selfish player, and see guys like Bird, Magic, and Duncan as being better than Bryant because they were such great facilitators. Kobe though seems to have gone into facilitator mode and his team is reaping the benefits. My hope is to see Kobe fully embrace this role from here on out, but I suspect he may return to his typical style of play soon.

So what do you think? Do you think Kobe as the play maker is here to stay? Or is this just a statistical anomaly? And if Kobe does embrace this role of facilitator, what do you think it means for the Lakers? Good or bad? I just wish he had done this years ago, because I think he really could have been a really special player had been been more of a facilitator, though that said he is, even with the style of play he has used, he is the second best SG of all time and arguably the most successful player of his generation.

I think Kobe is a special player no matter your opinion of him. And I think you give Bird far too much credit for being a "facilitator," especially given the cast of HOF players around him, while completely missing the point that Tim as a Center playing PF is supposed to be a facilitator in 90% of the offensive schemes in existence. I don't even think we even need to discuss Magic, for obvious reasons.

Lastly, I think if you're expecting Kobe to do something in the last 2 years of his career to sway your view of him, that's a lot of sweating, squeezing and grunting for nothing. About as pointless as a sterile man volunteering at a sperm donor clinic. No fruit will ever spring from that seed.

Give it 5 - 10 years after Kobe retires, then come back and tell us what you think. I'm guessing it will take about that length of droll NBA with sub-tier "superstars" who are less polarizing than Kobe to truly appreciate what he brought to the game.

envymamba24
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
After brick city last night, I wouldn't blame him if he shot 40 times next game

KingPosey
01-31-2013, 12:28 PM
If his teammates play like they did in the second half it will frustrate him, and it should. But once it did bother him he definitely turned the ball over like crazy trying to get too much going

ThaDubs
01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Kobe has 3 straight games with double digit assists. must be a first time in his career.

He went 4 times in a row in I think 2009.

ManRam
01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Don't know how many people watched the game yesterday, but I think it was Dragic who said their gameplan was double Kobe and force him to kick it to the corners.

He did that, and Metta shot 10 threes, I'd say 9 of which were with nobody within 10 feet of him. Bricks. Then Clark missed his, even Nash couldn't hit anything. I'd say a good 60-65% of those were off of Kobe kick outs. Nobody could hit a shot.

He passed the ball well again yesterday, but we just couldn't buy a shot.

If the alternative to Kobe scoring 30 is Metta Ron Peace shooting 10 three pointers, well, I think opposing teams will settle for that.

He's maybe gotta look to find a bit better of a balance early on? I don't know. Kobe set up a lot more than 9 shots last night...but most were threes to Metta and Earl it feels like. They missed a lot of 'em.

I feel bad for criticizing Kobe for doing something I always thought he should do...but it seems like he's at an all-or-nothing point right now. It's either pure distribution mode or pure score mode (late in games). A happy balance could be devastating.

And if Howard misses significant time, the Lakers are toast regardless.

ChicagoCubsTalk
01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Kobe needs to finally retire and give it up..The Lakers miss the playoffs this year..

ThaDubs
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
About as pointless as a sterile man volunteering at a sperm donor clinic

Nice analogy.

3RDASYSTEM
01-31-2013, 01:14 PM

really? LAKERS org is prolific or does that all have to do with BEAN also? you fiens are amazing

Led by Hall of Famers Elgin Baylor and Jerry West, Los Angeles made the NBA Finals six times in the 1960s
The Lakers won five championships in Minneapolis, propelled by center George Mikan - They even won in MINNYVILLE(those damn Lakers)

Won title in 70's also
won 5 in 9yrs in 80's
struggled for few yrs in 90's and got SHAQ via freeagent,BEAN via draft trade
00's went to like 7Finals app.
MAGIC/WEST went to like 18-20 NBA Finals rds combined, and WEST is the NBA logo

so yeah we get that its no accident that a LAKER/CELTIC might be the most prolific( i call it decorated) winner of they time/era, WEST/MAGIC have been to more FINALS combined a slew of HOF'ers combined careers,multiple players

BEAN has been playing like this since day1 NBA, just go look at his 7,15,19ppg avg and they went to WCF each yr basically...so this is nothing new for those who truly follow and play bball....this media perception clogs up the mind a little bit too often

working with HAKEEM and mimimicking JORDAN would 'enhance' your postgame somewhat right? diff. betweent JORDAN/KOBE postgame is quite simple ...JORDAN had to postup because lack of a post presence working with CARTWRIGHT-HORACE-RODMAN-LUC....but BEAN is just a copycat because a combo of SHAQ/GASOL/BYNUM/HOWARD means you stay out of the post so cut it out with the best footwork talk,hes copying a legend and getting props for it, good job

STERN/media is lucky he is still playing so they can lean on JORDAN even longer, wackest hype job ever...if you came up on JORDAN its not special watching a replica

now i'll give you work ethic because he was HSPOY and he picked his stacked squad and he had to battle like 2 or 3 guys for playing time coming from a backup position and stayed a gym rat, him and HORRY use to have 3pt battles like crazy i heard.....his work ethic is not 2nd to none, but its pretty lethal considering he was in his 'mind' JORDAN, but backing up JONES/NICK(but i get it he can literally do what he wants,you said it)

Its funny how i called him a PIPPtype player his inception, and now leaning toward his departure hes playing exactly like that now ...PIPP=MAGICtype game(all around)

like i said, you are who you are from day1, til mediahype gets involved

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Sig the agreement

I don't know how -_-

Stinkyoutsider
01-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Kobe hates to lose so I'm sure if the rest of the team fails to finish the attempts he's setting up, he'll go back to taking a lot of shots. Right now, he's trusting his guys a lot.

I like that he's being selective with his shots this year and this has him shooting a high fg%. He's passing the ball and turning down tough shots.

In the past, he probably had to create for himself and take tough shots because either he didn't trust his guys to finish the play or he didn't think he had any other good offensive players around him. But now, he's trusting them. Maybe it's because of Nash getting into his head a little or maybe he just has realized that his teammates can get the job done if he gives them some chances.

Tony_Starks
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Kobe is such a selfish chucker. Im sure it kills him to pass the ball.:eyebrow:

tredigs
01-31-2013, 04:49 PM
I think Kobe is a special player no matter your opinion of him. And I think you give Bird far too much credit for being a "facilitator," especially given the cast of HOF players around him, while completely missing the point that Tim as a Center playing PF is supposed to be a facilitator in 90% of the offensive schemes in existence. I don't even think we even need to discuss Magic, for obvious reasons.

Lastly, I think if you're expecting Kobe to do something in the last 2 years of his career to sway your view of him, that's a lot of sweating, squeezing and grunting for nothing. About as pointless as a sterile man volunteering at a sperm donor clinic. No fruit will ever spring from that seed.

Give it 5 - 10 years after Kobe retires, then come back and tell us what you think. I'm guessing it will take about that length of droll NBA with sub-tier "superstars" who are less polarizing than Kobe to truly appreciate what he brought to the game.

But we already have both more a more polarizing and better superstar in the league right now? We also went through all of Kobe's prime with an equally if not more productive superstar, only he does nothing to promote dislike or awe in a casual fan, didn't have his game bred in the limelight, and therefore is not a media baby. I still appreciate him more than virtually any other player we've seen.

Not to detract from everything he's accomplished, which is a ton, but the bottom line is that Kobe will be easily forgotten. We got past Jordan, and he is in no way Jordan. Plus, the next wave of superstars are incredible.

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
But we already have both more a more polarizing and better superstar in the league right now? We also went through all of Kobe's prime with an equally if not more productive superstar, only he does nothing to promote dislike or awe in a casual fan, didn't have his game bred in the limelight, and therefore is not a media baby. I still appreciate him more than virtually any other player we've seen.

Not to detract from everything he's accomplished, which is a ton, but the bottom line is that Kobe will be easily forgotten. We got past Jordan, and he is in no way Jordan. Plus, the next wave of superstars are incredible.

Maybe to 15 year old kids like you. Jordan has definetly not been forgotten. Kobe will already be remembered as well. Same with lebron.

tredigs
01-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Maybe to 15 year old kids like you. Jordan has definetly not been forgotten. Kobe will already be remembered as well. Same with lebron.

Oooh burn. I watched all of Jordan's prime, I remember him fine.

But no fanboy, if you exercised some reading comprehension you'd see I was responding to a comment insisting that the current superstars weren't up to the billing to lead the league forward, and that only when we see this drought of stardom would we appreciate Kobe's heroics. ...Not happening. League is fine without Kobe.

Money_23
01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
really? LAKERS org is prolific or does that all have to do with BEAN also? you fiens are amazing

Led by Hall of Famers Elgin Baylor and Jerry West, Los Angeles made the NBA Finals six times in the 1960s
The Lakers won five championships in Minneapolis, propelled by center George Mikan - They even won in MINNYVILLE(those damn Lakers)

Won title in 70's also
won 5 in 9yrs in 80's

so yeah we get that its no accident that a LAKER/CELTIC might be the most prolific( i call it decorated) winner of they time/era, WEST/MAGIC have been to more FINALS combined a slew of HOF'ers combined careers,multiple players

BEAN has been playing like this since day1 NBA, just go look at his 7,15,19ppg avg and they went to WCF each yr basically...so this is nothing new for those who truly follow and play bball....this media perception clogs up the mind a little bit too often

working with HAKEEM and mimimicking JORDAN would 'enhance' your postgame somewhat right? diff. betweent JORDAN/KOBE postgame is quite simple ...JORDAN had to postup because lack of a post presence working with CARTWRIGHT-HORACE-RODMAN-LUC....but BEAN is just a copycat because a combo of SHAQ/GASOL/BYNUM/HOWARD means you stay out of the post so cut it out with the best footwork talk,hes copying a legend and getting props for it, good job

STERN/media is lucky he is still playing so they can lean on JORDAN even longer, wackest hype job ever...if you came up on JORDAN its not special watching a replica

now i'll give you work ethic because he was HSPOY and he picked his stacked squad and he had to battle like 2 or 3 guys for playing time coming from a backup position and stayed a gym rat, him and HORRY use to have 3pt battles like crazy i heard.....his work ethic is not 2nd to none, but its pretty lethal considering he was in his 'mind' JORDAN, but backing up JONES/NICK(but i get it he can literally do what he wants,you said it)

Its funny how i called him a PIPPtype player his inception, and now leaning toward his departure hes playing exactly like that now ...PIPP=MAGICtype game(all around)

this will get me laughing for days. :laugh2:

lakers4sho
01-31-2013, 06:36 PM

Won title in 70's also
won 5 in 9yrs in 80's

English plz

bluefire7002
01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
this will get me laughing for days. :laugh2:

Can't believe you read all that :laugh2:

I stopped at "fiens"

jerellh528
02-02-2013, 02:21 AM
so far so good.

Money_23
02-02-2013, 02:46 AM
bad shooting night for him but he found other ways to compensate. Very impressed with his all around game so far for the past 5 games.

LoveMeOrHateMe
02-02-2013, 02:55 AM
As long as the lakers keep winning he'll be a facilitator!

Expect 20-9-7 from him the rest of the year

shep33
02-02-2013, 03:42 AM
Like the way he is playing. Crazy that he actually changed his game so radically. Hope he keeps it up. We need Dwight back though... and a trade to rejuvenate this squad

shep33
02-02-2013, 04:04 AM
Last 5 games for Kobe: 17 ppg, 11 apg, 9 rpg.

GREATNESS ONE
02-02-2013, 05:05 AM
^Noice.

CyborgMushroom
02-02-2013, 05:24 AM
Last 5 games for Kobe: 17 ppg, 11 apg, 9 rpg.

Crazy isn't it? Kobe averaging basically a triple double the last 5 games. Kobe Bryant....

Cano-Montero...
02-02-2013, 06:54 AM
He can always average those numbers if he wanted to.....

lakers4sho
02-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Last five: 18.6 points, 11.2 assists, 8.6 rebounds

LAKERMANIA
02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
^ wow.. Impressive numbers

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
English plz

He has the worst rants ever. My brain hurts tying to read any of his posts.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Last five: 18.6 points, 11.2 assists, 8.6 rebounds

If he starts shooting his normal 48 percent he will raise that to about 21ppg

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Like the way he is playing. Crazy that he actually changed his game so radically. Hope he keeps it up. We need Dwight back though... and a trade to rejuvenate this squad

Getting a good sf would be awesome.