PDA

View Full Version : Iverson working to return to NBA

LAKobeBryant
01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
DALLAS -- The Texas Legends are lobbying Allen Iverson to try and work his way back to the NBA by playing for the Dallas Mavericks' Development League affiliate, according to D-League sources

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8889753/allen-iverson-eyed-dallas-mavericks-d-league-affiliate-sources-says

LTBaByyy
01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Allen Iverson and Delonte West backcourt

I feel bad for new Legends head coach Eduardo Najera

DoMeFavors
01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
People like Mike James could get full yr contracts, AI can bring something. He can shoot and draw money. sucks he went to Memphis and it recked his career.

TheNumber37
01-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Here come the Iverson bashers.

The fact is, for the past couple years of Iverson's fall from stardom, I think he could have been a legitimate contributor to a team's winnings.
He can still score a bit and sell tickets.
3rd string PG at least... damn.

bahama0811
01-28-2013, 01:17 PM
AI needs to give it a rest and realize that his career is over. He's just not a player that really helps anymore. If a team wants a ball stopper he wouldn't be the first choice. He may sell some tickets but that's about it.

DoMeFavors
01-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Allen Iverson and Delonte West backcourt

I feel bad for new Legends head coach Eduardo Najera

you were talking up Delonte all last yr

xxplayerxx23
01-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Some teams need to sell tickets. A **** team should take a shot on him

Eagles710
01-28-2013, 01:31 PM
OMG IVERSON SUCKS!! Worst player ever! give it up loser!
^^^^^^ those are things you are going to hear with this thread lol

Former MVP!
Bunch of scoring titles!
Sells tickets!
Veteran!

Makes no sense how he is not on someones! bench

LAKobeBryant
01-28-2013, 01:38 PM
OMG IVERSON SUCKS!! Worst player ever! give it up loser!
^^^^^^ those are things you are going to hear with this thread lol

Former MVP!
Bunch of scoring titles!
Sells tickets!
Veteran!

Makes no sense how he is not on someones! bench

he made it clear he didn't want to be on someones bench few years ago. but now maybe....

JLynn943
01-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Apparently they've been trying to get him all season, and the article (on PSD main page) also states that Iverson has turned down multiple lucrative offers from China. That means two things: 1.) He's not as hard-pressed for money as everyone makes him out to be, and 2.) His ego is preventing him from playing at all. He shouldn't have to play in China or the D-League, so I understand where he's coming from, but that's really seemingly his only road back in.

LakersIn5
01-28-2013, 01:58 PM
lets go iverson!

JLynn943
01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
lets go iverson!

I really hope he makes it back :pray:

bbcmillionaire
01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
lol man jordan made me love basketball as a kid and then iverson, im really hoping he makes his nba comeback

Missing56&33
01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
He deserves one more chance to have a career in the NBA......after his playing days are over.

Stinkyoutsider
01-28-2013, 02:19 PM
I hope he comes back. I enjoy watching him play...

It's interesting how the NBA is as far as the teams are concerned? Somewhat of a copy cat league in a way? One GM says they don't want the guy because of his past and all the other teams follow.

This guy can help any team even at his age now. Every team could use a mid-range shooter and that is exactly what he would be. Use him for 15 minutes a game and give some scoring off the bench.

Mr_Amaziing
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Yesss !!!

2-ONE-5
01-28-2013, 02:23 PM
hope he makes it back, would love to see him finally get a ring

Fresno
01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
If Mike James can somehow end up on a NBA bench at the same age, I have no doubt that a superior talent in AI could.

Its just does he want to humble himself to go through with it.

He would be the first HOF player to ever play in the D-League, but stooping low enough to play with 21-26 year olds battling for a job would help change some of the perceptions about him. I couldnt see any other player with his legacy doing it out of pride.

lakers4sho
01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Are people actually comparing ai to mj? :laugh:

Everymanalion
01-28-2013, 02:41 PM
If Nash and Grant Hill(Albeit, the Suns medical staff) can play at a decent level at their age, I believe AI can. His ego in check and everything is golden.

koberulesall
01-28-2013, 02:43 PM
he is better than every pg on lakers besides Nash...why isnt he playing for anyone???

Jarvo
01-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Come on Iverson!!! I want to see you wing a got damn ring!!!! :pray:

Jarvo
01-28-2013, 02:48 PM
I won't be mad if OKC or Heat sign him

LA4life24/8
celtics anyone?

LA4life24/8

mike james maybe lullz

VinceCarter
01-28-2013, 03:02 PM
he made it clear he didn't want to be on someones bench few years ago. but now maybe....

Now that he realizes he is broke and everybody on PSD has more money than this fool.

broncofangene
01-28-2013, 03:05 PM
He's a cancer

JiffyMix88
01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Bet he seen Dirk pass him on that scoring list and was like "OH NO HE DIDN'T!" while shaking his head and waving his finger.

roshan3ai
01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Favorite player growing up. Still got hope of him returning :pray:

SMH!
01-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Now that he realizes he is broke and everybody on PSD has more money than this fool.

damn everyone got 32 million in their banks on psd? we got a rich site

rockbottom2010
01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Iverson is a legend. I know that he still has a passion for this game. He should stay retired and not play in the D-League. Without a question he's a first ballot hall of famer. He's 19th all-time in NBA scoring. If anything, he should work for the 76ers organization.

ThaDubs
01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Lol Dirk passes him on the scoring list and he tries to get back in the NBA...

meloman1592
01-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Come back ivo!

Sactown
01-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Can't imagine a contender trying to take on that kind of ego this late in the season.. To risky in the locker room.. Should go to a bottom feeder to help sell tickets.

SMH!
01-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Lol Dirk passes him on the scoring list and he tries to get back in the NBA...

read the damn article, they are trying to get him, not the other way around.. Cmon Son.

zhuya
01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Maybe the Celtics should get him, that's the only team that I can see being able to deal with a guy like AI, and they need a guard so..

Hellcrooner
01-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Memphis fiasco was ridicule enough.

filing miserably in europe was ashaming.

you want to make it worse?

Way to go A.I!!!!!!!!!!!

JLynn943
01-28-2013, 05:01 PM

Except that he's reportedly the one turning down Dallas' D-League team and has also repeatedly turned down lucrative offers from China

CubsBullsBucs
01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Ai to Boston? Let the rumors begin!

phan
01-28-2013, 05:27 PM
I am still astonished that no teams wanted him after his last go round with the Sixers. He will go down as one of the greats in Philly.

ManRam
01-28-2013, 05:28 PM
If I'm a contending team there's no way I contemplate it.

phan
Ai to Boston? Let the rumors begin!

that would make me sick to my stomach. :( Losing him to the Nuggets was bad enough....

Gritz
How is he gonna make a come back and he doesn't want to even talk about practice, let alone actually doing it?

phan
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Can't imagine a contender trying to take on that kind of ego this late in the season.. To risky in the locker room.. Should go to a bottom feeder to help sell tickets.
Yeah, so true. Still, the possibility is intriguing....

knicks=love
01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
"I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we out here talking 'bout practice. Not a game, not a game. We talkin' 'bout practice, man."

Lakeshow24KB
01-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Except that he's reportedly the one turning down Dallas' D-League team and has also repeatedly turned down lucrative offers from China

You realize that D-League players only get 14-25 thousand dollars a year, right?

phan
01-28-2013, 05:47 PM
"I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we out here talking 'bout practice. Not a game, not a game. We talkin' 'bout practice, man."

sometimes there just arent enough "like" buttons!!

JLynn943
01-28-2013, 05:47 PM
You realize that D-League players only get 14-25 thousand dollars a year, right?

If he was desperate for money, he'd take that on the chance it would get him back in the NBA. That still ignores the money he could be getting from China instead, too. He's clearly not in dire straits financially.

Kashmir13579
01-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Come to the Knicks!!! We need a PG on the cheap.

Losoway
01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
man if people like kurt thomas mike james brian scaleerbrine etc get contracts might as well let allen iverson go for it

OceanSpray
01-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Link doesn't work.

Anyways, if Nash is 39 and still playing, Allen Iverson could definitely still play. He's quicker, stronger, and can draw a huge fan base even if he sucks. He will sell merchandise and tickets. A team like Bobcats or Phoenix could use him.. He can put up 15 PPG and at least 3 rebounds/5 assists per game. Still one of the quickest and elite scorers in NBA history. It's unfortunate that the only reason he's not playing in the NBA is because of his attitude. Coaches and management don't want a player who doesn't practice and has a negative aura. Let's just hope he grows up.

C-Dub
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Memphis fiasco was ridicule enough.

filing miserably in europe was ashaming.

you want to make it worse?

Way to go A.I!!!!!!!!!!!

u really need to figure out what really happened with AI before you ever comment about him again.. :facepalm:

C-Dub
01-28-2013, 08:44 PM
AI, VC, Dirk, and Brand on a team.. man, a few years ago THAT would have been the dream team! i really hope he makes it back! I could see boston goin after him now maybe, at least to have him the rest of the season

abe_froman
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
he wont be back.too many burned bridges,no one will give him a chance

LakersIn5
01-28-2013, 09:19 PM
go to the lakers. if duhon can get minutes then why cant ai?

bootsy
01-28-2013, 10:46 PM
he wont be back.too many burned bridges,no one will give him a chance

Obviously someone is trying to give him a chance.

bagwell368
01-28-2013, 11:47 PM
In search of.... cash

Actually I hope he plays one game in the NBA this year, because it will put off him getting into the HOF so it will delay all the media whores singing his praises when he is inducted.

eibbor
01-29-2013, 12:05 AM
He isnt making it back to the NBA, ever, in any way... Period. He had his run but he is done, for a reason. He just doesnt have it anymore. Teams wont take a chance on him now... and for good reason. He gave his all for so long and now he just doesnt have it. Respect him but, hes done

sep11ie
01-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Could you imagine a Mike James/Iverson backcourt? Yummy!

eibbor
01-29-2013, 12:22 AM
wow with the lame mike james posts.... was a long time ago guys... more lame than, "u mad?"

ManRam
01-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Link doesn't work.

Anyways, if Nash is 39 and still playing, Allen Iverson could definitely still play. He's quicker, stronger, and can draw a huge fan base even if he sucks. He will sell merchandise and tickets. A team like Bobcats or Phoenix could use him.. He can put up 15 PPG and at least 3 rebounds/5 assists per game. Still one of the quickest and elite scorers in NBA history. It's unfortunate that the only reason he's not playing in the NBA is because of his attitude. Coaches and management don't want a player who doesn't practice and has a negative aura. Let's just hope he grows up.

Iverson relied heavily on athleticism to be great...and that's why assuming he's still got it is foolish. Nash doesn't rely on his athleticism as much. Nash's shooting, IQ and passing aren't diminishing as much with age as most of Iverson's abilities that made him great. Iverson relied upon athleticism a tremendous amount...that's why his falloff isn't stunning. Nash didn't.

Who cares if he was one of the "quickest" players in NBA history? He isn't any more, and that's a big reason why his play fell off (that and his ego). He wasn't much of an asset in 08-09 or 09-10.

The jersey sales argument is moot too: the money generated from jersey sales is evenly distributed among the league, with a small portion going to players. Iverson's team doesn't get all the money for Iverson's jersey sales. Financially, unless it boosts attendance, it's not gonna make a damn difference.

sep11ie
01-29-2013, 12:29 AM
wow with the lame mike james posts.... was a long time ago guys... more lame than, "u mad?"

Says the guy with a "do not hit fire extinguisher" sig.

Hellcrooner
01-29-2013, 12:39 AM
u really need to figure out what really happened with AI before you ever comment about him again.. :facepalm:

IM al Ears.

I love hearing the most baffling excuses in the world.

:D

LAKobeBryant
01-29-2013, 12:40 AM
fixed the link

C-Dub
01-29-2013, 01:04 AM
its cool Hellcrooner. i dont talk to haters. letm hate.. but u dont see me in lbj or kobe threads bashing them in front of their fans..

NetsPaint
01-29-2013, 03:37 AM
He shouldn't have to go to the D-League to be back in the NBA.

To the people saying he was all athleticism, how many extremely athletic players dominated a game like him? He might be a top 3 ball-handler of all-time, a very skilled passer, great at steals, etc. He'd still sacrifice his body. That would lead and fire up his teammates.

Jordan was still very athletic (not by NBA youth standards, but still) at the end of his career, I guess he was all athleticism too right? Iverson is a mix of high athleticism and high skill just like him.

Calling someone done is one of the most annoying things to read. People called Stackhouse done before he played this season even though when he was on the Bucks in 2010 he showed he could still play in the Playoffs.

Keep on dreaming that Iverson still can't play. I don't know if some of you even dislike him. You just like calling players that age done.

ManRam
01-29-2013, 01:16 PM
He shouldn't have to go to the D-League to be back in the NBA.

To the people saying he was all athleticism, how many extremely athletic players dominated a game like him? He might be a top 3 ball-handler of all-time, a very skilled passer, great at steals, etc. He'd still sacrifice his body. That would lead and fire up his teammates.

Jordan was still very athletic (not by NBA youth standards, but still) at the end of his career, I guess he was all athleticism too right? Iverson is a mix of high athleticism and high skill just like him.

Calling someone done is one of the most annoying things to read. People called Stackhouse done before he played this season even though when he was on the Bucks in 2010 he showed he could still play in the Playoffs.

Keep on dreaming that Iverson still can't play. I don't know if some of you even dislike him. You just like calling players that age done.

1. He did rely on athleticism and speed more so than Nash, and more so than most. It is what it is. Maybe he can still play, but he's not gonna be a tremendous asset.
2. He played poorly in his waning years in the NBA.
3. Jerry Stackhouse had a few good games, but is probably the worst player on his team. He sucked in the 2010 playoffs...I have no idea what you're talking about. Using Stack to suggest that AI can still contribute probably wasn't the best motive.

Maybe I'm wrong. I think ability is a big reason why he isn't in the NBA. Ego might be playing a role too.

DrDre94
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Says the guy with a "do not hit fire extinguisher" sig.

Notice how you get no response from him when you mention this :rolleyes:

On topic: I'm not sure how I feel about Iverson playing again in the NBA. Part of me believes he can still ball, but I also feel like his time is up in the NBA.

Alayla
02-01-2013, 08:07 AM

He made it clear he wanted to be on someones bench the year atfer that

R. Johnson#3
02-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Please AI, leave it alone. Don't tarnish your career by playing when you're too old.

thenaj17
02-01-2013, 11:46 AM

No-one did that.

1 person mentioned both that he loved watching the NBA for but ZERO comparison was made

phlp_bj
02-01-2013, 11:50 AM
im sure he could still score 20+ on the bobcats

SoFreshNsoClean
02-01-2013, 12:27 PM
im sure he could still score 20+ on the bobcats

I doubt that. Hes done.

He still gets a sh~t ton of fan demand to come back and play ball but yeah its over imo

I could maybe see a scenario though where he comes of the bench for a few minutes a game when a team needs a perimiter threat or some additional offense but def not a premier starting job or heavy minutes

TheNumber37
02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
The fact is this: Iverson, today, is still better than a solid 10 percent of the NBA. Take a teams' 10 best players and Iverson might be better than one of them.
If Iverson would not be the worst in a league or on a team then he can still play.

He's officially done when he's not better than the average 3rd string pg.

Iverson vs prigioni... I'd actually watch that.

Tony_Starks
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
AI has obviously been blackballed from the league. There are scrub players that continue to make rosters all the time because their "good guys." With AI's rep nobody wants to touch him. I'd love to see him get another shot...

LAKobeBryant
02-01-2013, 02:00 PM
He made it clear he wanted to be on someones bench the year atfer that

He returned to 76ers after the Memphis drama and still don't work out but now he looks like in desperate mode to play for any team