PDA

View Full Version : Should We Just Give OKC The Championship Already?

RocketLoc80
01-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Nobody is beating them in a seven games series and Durant is poised to become the best player in the league. Miami doesn`t even have a shot because they are worse this year. So you might as well get a parade ready for OKC

Longhornfan1234
01-27-2013, 05:45 PM
No, they will lose to the Heat again.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 05:45 PM
road to the championship goes through LeBron until proven otherwise.

Ty_Lawson
01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Denver will beat them in 7 game series...it will be WCF matchup,and then we win it whole against CHI(they will beat MIA in 7 games because of Rose).

Cal827
01-27-2013, 05:49 PM
:laugh: I doubt they freaking get by a Healthy Clippers team, yet alone the Heat.

sunsfan88
01-27-2013, 05:50 PM
How are they better than Miami?

LeBron is a better rebounder, passer, defender and leader than Durant. Only thing KD has on LeBron is rebounding.

Not to mention that Bosh is better than any big men on OKC and Ray Allen is just as effective if not more than Martin.

The wild card will be Wade vs Westbrook.

Longhornfan1234
01-27-2013, 05:51 PM
A great rebounding team with good low post scorers can beat the Heat. The Thunder don't have it.

LakersIn5
01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
once again. heat havent turned ON the switch.

justinnum1
01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
d12 fan makes the worst threads.

Also, miami are still the favorites to repeat, not to mention they have beaten okc already this year and the past 5 of 6 times. :)

bucketss
01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Troll.

SwatTeam
01-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Should we deny this stupid OP the right to make stupid threads? Unfortunately, he has every right to. I also have every right to call him out on it.

kdspurman
01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Oh yea definitely... :rolleyes:

BTW, Miami would gladly welcome playing okc again vs the other top teams out West

gaughan333
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM

LeBron is a better rebounder, passer, defender and leader than Durant. Only thing KD has on LeBron is rebounding.

Not to mention that Bosh is better than any big men on OKC and Ray Allen is just as effective if not more than Martin.

I am confused.

Hardaway Here
01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Until I see them make the Finals and beat Miami 4 out of 7 my money is on Miami

gangis2169
01-27-2013, 06:04 PM
LBJ and the HEAT will continue the cake walk into the finals like they did last year on a shorten season. Its way to easy for the HEAT to win just like the NBA/ESPN intended.

ThaDubs
01-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Denver will beat them in 7 game series...it will be WCF matchup,and then we win it whole against CHI(they will beat MIA in 7 games because of Rose).

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

IgglesFanInCO
01-27-2013, 06:15 PM
They have a tough western conference to get through before they even get to the HEAT, and i doubt they can do that, just cause the HEAT are coasting it right now doesnt mean they are worse than last year

Clippers and San Antonio will be tough to beat

Throw in all the darkhorse possibilities in the west and their chances drop even further

Memphis-perennial darkhorse

GSW- Who knows how good they can be with continued development of Curry and Barns and the return of Bogut

Nuggets- Hanging around the 5th seed even though they havent put it together yet, they are only showing glimpses of how good they can be, and a dominant home team is always scary cause they just need one lucky road win in the series

KnicksorBust
01-27-2013, 06:17 PM
They have a tough western conference to get through before they even get to the HEAT, and i doubt they can do that, just cause the HEAT are coasting it right now doesnt mean they are worse than last year

Clippers and San Antonio will be tough to beat

Throw in all the darkhorse possibilities in the west and their chances drop even further

Memphis-perennial darkhorse

GSW- Who knows how good they can be with continued development of Curry and Barns and the return of Bogut

Nuggets- Hanging around the 5th seed even though they havent put it together yet, they are only showing glimpses of how good they can be, and a dominant home team is always scary cause they just need one lucky road win in the series

Good post. East is a cake-walk for Miami but OKC have a lot of competition just to get out of the West. I'm also curious why you say Miami got worse when they are essentially the same team whereas OKC traded away an all-star.

MrfadeawayJB
01-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Give it to the Bobcats

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-27-2013, 06:19 PM
LBJ and the HEAT will continue the cake walk into the finals like they did last year on a shorten season. Its way to easy for the HEAT to win just like the NBA/ESPN intended.

This is true because the east is so bad there are really only 2 teams that can challenge the heat and they are both in New York/Brooklyn

I believe who ever comes out of the west will win the title this year!

Hardaway Here
01-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Good post. East is a cake-walk for Miami but OKC have a lot of competition just to get out of the West. I'm also curious why you say Miami got worse when they are essentially the same team whereas OKC traded away an all-star.

I don't get why people use the whole easy east vs west argument. When in the end the west team has to play the east. If the better team wins guess what how they got there doesn't matter.

Hardaway Here
01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
This is true because the east is so bad there are really only 2 teams that can challenge the heat and they are both in New York/Brooklyn

I believe who ever comes out of the west will win the title this year!

That was said last year and Thunder lost

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-27-2013, 06:22 PM
I am confused.

he meant shooting

JEDean89
01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
the threads on this forum some times :facepalm: have you ever watched basketball?

TheMoneyTeam
01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
As long as there's a ref LeBron stands a chance.

LoveMeOrHateMe
01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
That was said last year and Thunder lost

The thunder look poised this year though, last year was a learning experience not saying they'll make the finals again but if they do I think they'll be ready

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't get why people use the whole easy east vs west argument. When in the end the west team has to play the east. If the better team wins guess what how they got there doesn't matter.

Its just tougher to make it through out west, but the end result is the same, so I don't care much about it.

ThaDubs
01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Give it to the Bobcats

This. Star power in Bismack Biyombo and possibly the best bench in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 06:32 PM
As long as there's a ref LeBron stands a chance.

That is what makes me laugh. Durant gets as many b.s. calls as anyone in the game. Yet, a lot of you choose to call out LeBron for getting superstar calls.

BALLER R
01-27-2013, 06:34 PM
If OKC can pick up a scoring threat from inside then the championship is their to lose.

Cal827
01-27-2013, 06:35 PM
lol, I freaking forgot the difficulty OKC is gonna have getting through 3 tough west opponents, while Miami's likely toughest competition will likely be Brooklyn or NY :laugh2:

JNoel
01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
:dance:

mightybosstone
01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Good point, OP. Why even play the postseason games? :facepalm:

Sactown
01-27-2013, 06:44 PM
I thought at the beginning of the season we were suppose to give it to LA? than I think it was NY? now OKC?

justinnum1
01-27-2013, 06:45 PM
lol, I freaking forgot the difficulty OKC is gonna have getting through 3 tough west opponents, while Miami's likely toughest competition will likely be Brooklyn or NY :laugh2:

miamis toughest competition will be the bulls. it would have been bosotn but not with rondo out. bulls-heat ecf should be good. miami in 5

OceanSpray
01-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Lmao, OKC plays the same style Miami does. Miami matches well with OKC because they are small as well. No one plays better against small teams than Miami. If they meet with OKC, Miami wins in 5 or 6. Durant never outplays LeBron, ever. I've yet to see it happen. Westbrook has never dominated Miami besides that one game where he went for 42. Ibaka has been practically useless against Heat. Sorry, you can beat any other team except Heat.

Blitzbolt
01-27-2013, 07:02 PM
No.

hail2skins4life
01-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Lakers gonna sweep em. This a new day for the Lakers. Kobe is gonna go down as the best Point guard of all time. That's right. Look at this man facilitate. He can average 12 assists a game if he wants. Lakers going undefeated rest of season

John Walls Era
01-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Stop making threads.

koberulesall
01-27-2013, 07:11 PM
not if they play the lakers in the playoffs they just got SPANKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mdm692
01-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Lakers gonna sweep em. This a new day for the Lakers. Kobe is gonna go down as the best Point guard of all time. That's right. Look at this man facilitate. He can average 12 assists a game if he wants. Lakers going undefeated rest of season

:laugh: I thought Knicks fans were supposed to be the crazy ones here in PSD.

justinnum1
01-27-2013, 07:13 PM
not if they play the lakers in the playoffs they just got SPANKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol. i dont think anyone would pick the lakers to beat okc in a playoff matchup

justinnum1
01-27-2013, 07:14 PM

:facepalm:

This was my concern with the lakers winning a big game. The crazy homers coming out of the woodworks

reality check: lakers are now 4 game out of the 8th seed in the west.

Anyways, good win for la

Master Mind
01-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Huh?

Master Mind
01-27-2013, 07:15 PM
And this thread is still alive?

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
road to the championship goes through LeBron until proven otherwise.

Eh, they'd be much less likely to win it all in the West. The East is so weak. Spurs are better than the Heat, this year and last year statistically.

justinnum1
01-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Eh, they'd be much less likely to win it all in the West. The East is so weak. Spurs are better than the Heat, this year and last year statistically.

stats dont meet **** come playoff time.

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Lakers heat finals :D

Captain Moroni
01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Nope

kdspurman
01-27-2013, 07:38 PM

Definitely don't. But I do think they might be best equipped to challenge Miami if it ever came to that

justinnum1
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Lakers heat finals :D

A little premature considering they are 4 games out of the 8th seed.

justinnum1
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Definitely don't. But I do think they might be best equipped to challenge Miami if it ever came to that

agree with that

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Lmao, OKC plays the same style Miami does. Miami matches well with OKC because they are small as well. No one plays better against small teams than Miami. If they meet with OKC, Miami wins in 5 or 6. Durant never outplays LeBron, ever. I've yet to see it happen. Westbrook has never dominated Miami besides that one game where he went for 42. Ibaka has been practically useless against Heat. Sorry, you can beat any other team except Heat.

You make a good point. The teams the Heat struggle against are ones with strong interiors. OKC would need Durant to outplay LeBron, and Westbrook to have a great series. Too much to ask, though their continued development makes me think they may eventually figure Miami out.

CavsYanksDuke
01-27-2013, 07:41 PM
No, they will lose to the Heat again.

+1

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 07:42 PM

I am not agreeing or disagreeing, but that is the cards played dude. And San Antonio has been a regular season juggernaut that can't stay healthy, Parker has been bad in the playoffs over the past few years when they lost, and athletic teams give them problems.

GoferKing_
01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
With Westbrick? Hell no. They won't win with him taking 50 shots.xD

HighCHWRoller07
01-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Not after a loss to LA

PlayMaka2007
01-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Heat in 6 over OKC, would not be surprised if Spurs beat OKC first.

kdspurman
01-27-2013, 07:52 PM
I am not agreeing or disagreeing, but that is the cards played dude. And San Antonio has been a regular season juggernaut that can't stay healthy, Parker has been bad in the playoffs over the past few years when they lost, and athletic teams give them problems.

Not for nothing but they've been fairly healthy, and even this year losing Kawhi and Jack though they lost a lot of games they may have won if not undermanned, they still have the best record in the league.

Parker hasn't necessarily been bad in the playoffs, he just hasn't been as good as he was in the regular season. At least that was the case the last 2 seasons. The whole athletic argument I don't buy either, just because they lost to OKC I don't think that had to do with OKC's athleticism, but more so a lot of their guys hitting a ton of shots that most of them hadn't hit all season. (see game 5) And when those shots didn't drop in the finals, they couldn't win any games.

Sometimes it's really as simple as getting the ball in the basket. And not to derail this thread, but this is a new season, and the Spurs are top 5 both offensively, and defensively. Being able to get timely stops will be the difference, and so far they've been able to do that fairly consistently all year which is a huge improvement over last years team.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Not for nothing but they've been fairly healthy, and even this year losing Kawhi and Jack though they lost a lot of games they may have won if not undermanned, they still have the best record in the league.

Parker hasn't necessarily been bad in the playoffs, he just hasn't been as good as he was in the regular season. At least that was the case the last 2 seasons. The whole athletic argument I don't buy either, just because they lost to OKC I don't think that had to do with OKC's athleticism, but more so a lot of their guys hitting a ton of shots that most of them hadn't hit all season. (see game 5) And when those shots didn't drop in the finals, they couldn't win any games.

Sometimes it's really as simple as getting the ball in the basket. And not to derail this thread, but this is a new season, and the Spurs are top 5 both offensively, and defensively. Being able to get timely stops will be the difference, and so far they've been able to do that fairly consistently all year which is a huge improvement over last years team.

I meant Parker has been pretty average in the series that knocked them out. he just seems to have lost his playoff play since earlier in his career, when he was a great playoff performer. Fact is, athleticism up front hurts you guys, it was both with Memphis, and OKC.

The Spurs were 1st in offense, 10th in defense last year, and that was without Manu a large chunk. They were beat up by OKC. 2nd on offense, 11th on defense the year prior. Beat by the 8th seed. Until they prove otherwise, San Antonio is just a regular season team to me now.

OceanSpray
01-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Spurs are never going to the finals again... The team lost to OKC last year because they got tired after the 2nd game.

kdspurman
01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Spurs are never going to the finals again... The team lost to OKC last year because they got tired after the 2nd game.

Right.... :rolleyes:

What's funny is that's what the average fans perception is. Which is cool

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:02 PM

I wouldn't go that far, but in the west, matchup problems can happen amongst teams similar in the standings. The Spurs have run into them the last 2 years. While I don't think they are a championship caliber team personally, its not like it would blow my mind if they won it all.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Right.... :rolleyes:

What's funny is that's what the average fans perception is. Which is cool

hahaha, I just noticed your sig. So awesome dude

kdspurman
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
I meant Parker has been pretty average in the series that knocked them out. he just seems to have lost his playoff play since earlier in his career, when he was a great playoff performer. Fact is, athleticism up front hurts you guys, it was both with Memphis, and OKC.

The Spurs were 1st in offense, 10th in defense last year, and that was without Manu a large chunk. They were beat up by OKC. 2nd on offense, 11th on defense the year prior. Beat by the 8th seed. Until they prove otherwise, San Antonio is just a regular season team to me now.

Parker struggled once they threw Thabo on him, he's got to adjust to that, cause bigger guys will guard him now more than before.

Memphis was a totally different story than OKC in terms of front court issues. A big part of that was Pops reluctance to play Duncan/Splitter together while Z-Bo feasted on Bonner/Blair/McDyess who were no match for him.

Overall, I think it's a fair perception to have about us, but they've made adjustments that have been long over-due mainly starting their 2 best bigs. Like I said, the defense has been their biggest improvement, inserting Splitter in the starting lineup along side Duncan to help clog the lane, Kawhi's continued growth on the defensive end, I think this team is better than last years, and most the numbers support that. Slight dip offensively, but significant improvements defensively.

Numbers are a little off cause they went over a month with no SF and teams feasted on Green at the 3 and Neal at the 2.

This is worth a read on the improvements. They didn't make huge adjustments or signings/trades like other teams do, and that's probably why it gets overlooked.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53864/killer-lineup-the-old-is-new-again-spurs

kdspurman
01-27-2013, 08:15 PM
hahaha, I just noticed your sig. So awesome dude

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Parker struggled once they threw Thabo on him, he's got to adjust to that, cause bigger guys will guard him now more than before.

Memphis was a totally different story than OKC in terms of front court issues. A big part of that was Pops reluctance to play Duncan/Splitter together while Z-Bo feasted on Bonner/Blair/McDyess who were no match for him.

Overall, I think it's a fair perception to have about us, but they've made adjustments that have been long over-due mainly starting their 2 best bigs. Like I said, the defense has been their biggest improvement, inserting Splitter in the starting lineup along side Duncan to help clog the lane, Kawhi's continued growth on the defensive end, I think this team is better than last years, and most the numbers support that. Slight dip offensively, but significant improvements defensively.

Numbers are a little off cause they went over a month with no SF and teams feasted on Green at the 3 and Neal at the 2.

This is worth a read on the improvements. They didn't make huge adjustments or signings/trades like other teams do, and that's probably why it gets overlooked.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53864/killer-lineup-the-old-is-new-again-spurs

I read that article actually. Dude, you have the best run team in the NBA by all purposes, I am only stating my thoughts regarding their title window. But they have made some adjustments this year, and Splitter being healthy and allowing Tim to move to PF helps, as does the progression of your young SF. I just think there are 2-3 teams out west that will just be a matchup nightmare for you guys over 7 games, when rotations shorten, and it turns into halfcourt game. But hey, not like the Spurs haven't done it before with this core group.

I actually am friends with Joshtd1 outside of PSD, and I know he was whining for 2 years about Bonner starting haha, and he is much happier now.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-27-2013, 08:22 PM
there's a reason why they play the games. otherwise last year you could make a post about giving the title to the spurs already. :confused:

kdspurman
01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I read that article actually. Dude, you have the best run team in the NBA by all purposes, I am only stating my thoughts regarding their title window. But they have made some adjustments this year, and Splitter being healthy and allowing Tim to move to PF helps, as does the progression of your young SF. I just think there are 2-3 teams out west that will just be a matchup nightmare for you guys over 7 games, when rotations shorten, and it turns into halfcourt game. But hey, not like the Spurs haven't done it before with this core group.

I actually am friends with Joshtd1 outside of PSD, and I know he was whining for 2 years about Bonner starting haha, and he is much happier now.

I'm getting more anxious each year knowing the window is almost closed to bring in another championship... Simply because the other teams on the rise now. So while I probably have my silver/black glasses on, the belief for me is as long as we are this competitive and still among the leagues best, we will have a chance. I genuinely believed last year was ours. But things happen, and I hope that losing will get them some sort of motivation to come back stronger this year. Seems to have done it for Duncan

lol, I know how Josh feels man, it was absolutely horrific having Blair/Bonner as our frontline. Now they've somewhat dropped out the rotation, I actually really hope our newest addition Baynes gets some time. He claims to want to bring what Reggie Evans brings. Everyone needs a guy like that (minus the flopping)

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm getting more anxious each year knowing the window is almost closed to bring in another championship... Simply because the other teams on the rise now. So while I probably have my silver/black glasses on, the belief for me is as long as we are this competitive and still among the leagues best, we will have a chance. I genuinely believed last year was ours. But things happen, and I hope that losing will get them some sort of motivation to come back stronger this year. Seems to have done it for Duncan

lol, I know how Josh feels man, it was absolutely horrific having Blair/Bonner as our frontline. Now they've somewhat dropped out the rotation, I actually really hope our newest addition Baynes gets some time. He claims to want to bring what Reggie Evans brings. Everyone needs a guy like that (minus the flopping)

and nut grabbing...

yeah, please don't think I don't list SA in my list of potential title winners, I just have them a peg down from 2-3 other teams.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
and nut grabbing...

yeah, please don't think I don't list SA in my list of potential title winners, I just have them a peg down from 2-3 other teams.

yup. imo clippers, spurs, thunder, lakers (if they make the playoffs), and of course heat are title contenders....

actually let me re-phrase that.. the teams with the better chance of winning a title are the ones i listed since every team in the playoffs is a title contender.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:34 PM
yup. imo clippers, spurs, thunder, lakers (if they make the playoffs), and of course heat are title contenders....

I can't possibly see the Lakers as title contenders currently. They have no cohesion at all, and a lousy bench. Plus Dwight is not Dwight, and they play no defense. They have 40 games to figure it out though..

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
I can't possibly see the Lakers as title contenders currently. They have no cohesion at all, and a lousy bench. Plus Dwight is not Dwight, and they play no defense. They have 40 games to figure it out though..

but to make the playoffs they would have to win like 66-70% of their games, which would mean they would fix majority of their issues, hence why i would reluctantly put them as one of the teams that are title favs...

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:37 PM
but to make the playoffs they would have to win like 66-70% of their games, which would mean they would fix majority of their issues, hence why i would reluctantly put them as one of the teams that are title favs...

fair enough.

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 08:46 PM

They are pretty good for predicting, but the Heat will likely win the finals because they have the easiest path to the finals, not because they are the best. They are more like the 3rd or 4th best.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:48 PM
They are pretty good for predicting, but the Heat will likely win the finals because they have the easiest path to the finals, not because they are the best. They are more like the 3rd or 4th best.

Sounds like an excuse. You still have to beat whatever west team is left when the dust settles, and with the west being the superior conference, that team should be playing its best possible basketball. Yet the Heat won anyways. Why? They have the best player in the world, with teammates who knew their roles.

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Sounds like an excuse. You still have to beat whatever west team is left when the dust settles, and with the west being the superior conference, that team should be playing its best possible basketball. Yet the Heat won anyways. Why? They have the best player in the world, with teammates who knew their roles.

The team with the easiest path usually wins it all. It's a statistical fact. Reason being is because if the best team keeps playing better team, there is a higher chance you are knocked out and in a small sample, 7 games, the higher the variance, less likely the best team will win it all in a tougher conference. It's a statistical fact.

53 percent of the time, the best team in the NBA wins it all. Only 53 percent. It's not an excuse, it's call random variation.

Much like when the Celtics got the ECF. They weren't the fourth best and if they beat the Heat they would not be the second best. They had an easy path to the ECF and than had a statistical chance vs the Heat. This would not have made them better than the Heat.

seikou8
01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
The team with the easiest path usually wins it all. It's a statistical fact. Reason being is because if the best team keeps playing better team, there is a higher chance you are knocked out and in a small sample, 7 games, the higher the variance, less likely the best team will win it all in a tougher conference. It's a statistical fact.

53 percent of the time, the best team in the NBA wins it all. Only 53 percent. It's not an excuse, it's call random variation.

which is like the best percentage of any of major 4 sports

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
which is like the best percentage of any of major 4 sports

Yep, all the other sports are very, very low in that category.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:59 PM

Much like when the Celtics got the ECF. They weren't the fourth best and if they beat the Heat they would not be the second best. They had an easy path to the ECF and than had a statistical chance vs the Heat. This would not have made them better than the Heat.

of the major sports, that is the best percentage. If the team with the easiest path usually wins it, please explain why the west, post Jordan era, has won 10/14 chips, with the more difficult path...

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
of the major sports, that is the best percentage. If the team with the easiest path usually wins it, please explain why the west, post Jordan era, has won 10/14 chips, with the more difficult path...

Random variation, brusky. You need to use the entire sample or else you will be taking small samples and be saying "see, it's not true."

Heat were better than the Mavericks in 2011, but lost. But the Bulls were better than the Heat and won. Playoffs are a crapshoot, which is why the team with the easiest path will usually win it all.

kdspurman
01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
and nut grabbing...

Nut grabbing :laugh2: Definitely forgot about that

And that's probably fair...

OceanSpray
01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Record doesn't mean anything in the NBA. I just wish people would stop saying it does. There's a difference in playing a team in a 7 game series than a one regular season game. Way different.

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Record doesn't mean anything in the NBA. I just wish people would stop saying it does. There's a difference in playing a team in a 7 game series than a one regular season game. Way different.
It's not record, you use the SRS.

Secondly, using passed games to predict the playoffs is the most accurate way. Check out each playoff series and check out who won the regular season match up. The team that wins the regular season series wins the playoff series more often than not.

There is stock to put in regular season match ups and to ignore it is silly.

OceanSpray
01-27-2013, 11:04 PM

Secondly, using passed games to predict the playoffs is the most accurate way. Check out each playoff series and check out who won the regular season match up. The team that wins the regular season series wins the playoff series more often than not.

Celtics had a terrible record in the regular season but they made it to the ECF. Why? Because it's a whole different ball game. No one expected Celtics to even get past the second round.

MTL_123
01-27-2013, 11:06 PM
didnt people say this last year in the finals:rolleyes:

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Celtics had a terrible record in the regular season but they made it to the ECF. Why? Because it's a whole different ball game. No one expected Celtics to even get past the second round.

It's actually because they played the Hawks and than the Sixers. Everyone expected them to beat the Hawks and Sixers. They were heavy favorites in both series.

OceanSpray
01-27-2013, 11:11 PM
It's actually because they played the Hawks and than the Sixers. Everyone expected them to beat the Hawks and Sixers. They were heavy favorites in both series.

No they didn't... With Bradley out, it was pretty much evident Celtics wouldn't get past Sixers. They got past them and took Heat to 7 games. It's not about regular season, it's about the big time moment in that stage. James Harden in the regular season=beast. James Harden in the finals=trash. Why?

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:17 PM
No they didn't... With Bradley out, it was pretty much evident Celtics wouldn't get past Sixers. They got past them and took Heat to 7 games. It's not about regular season, it's about the big time moment in that stage. James Harden in the regular season=beast. James Harden in the finals=trash. Why?

They were -300 favorites vs the Sixers last year. Stop talking if you are going to make things up. As for James Harden, you can thank a small sample. He didn't do bad in other playoff series or games, using a five game sample to try to prove your point (let alone a team in the finals) is abject nonsense.

OceanSpray
01-27-2013, 11:22 PM
They were -300 favorites vs the Sixers last year. Stop talking if you are going to make things up.

-300 based on what? Lmao, you're using garbage prediction numbers. Playoffs= different matchups, different atmosphere. It's not the same as regular season. Bulls swept Heat in the regular season two years ago and lost 4-1 in the playoffs.

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:25 PM
-300 based on what? Lmao, you're using garbage prediction numbers. Playoffs= different matchups, different atmosphere. It's not the same as regular season. Bulls swept Heat in the regular season two years ago and lost 4-1 in the playoffs.

You are trying to disprove easier path doesn't matter by saying a team got far by beating two teams they were heavy favorites against.

Second part, exception, not the rule. Miami shot at an incredibly high rate, unsustainabley high, this is why they lost to the Mavericks, they regressed to the mean.

justinnum1
01-27-2013, 11:27 PM
You are trying to disprove easier path doesn't matter by saying a team got far by beating two teams they were heavy favorites against.

Second part, exception, not the rule. Miami shot at an incredibly high rate, unsustainabley high, this is why they lost to the Mavericks, they regressed to the mean.
Not they didn't. They played great defense and aside from rose, no one on the bulls could be counted on to make a basket. Miami lost to dallas becuase the dallas players were shooting at an incredible rate and lebron choked hard.

C-Wick925
01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
why not, the nba is rigged anyhoo

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Not they didn't. They played great defense and aside from rose, no one on the bulls could be counted on to make a basket. Miami lost to dallas becuase the dallas players were shooting at an incredible rate and lebron choked hard.

The casual/layman explanation of the 2011 playoffs.

Hardaway Here
01-27-2013, 11:36 PM

This is a stupid statement. Just sounds like you want to discredit them either way. If the best in the West doesn't beat the Heat then guess what they aren't the best. Hate on

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:41 PM
This is a stupid statement. Just sounds like you want to discredit them either way. If the best in the West doesn't beat the Heat then guess what they aren't the best. Hate on

That's not how that works, and I am not hating. They were the third best team in the league in 2011, but lost to a team that was worse either for match up reasons or because of random variation. Playoffs are a crapshoot and the teams that have the easiest path get the farthest. That's a fact. There is no hating in that, but that's a good buzzword to try to discredit arguments that can't be disproven because they are based on what actually happened.

Hardaway Here
01-27-2013, 11:44 PM
That's not how that works, and I am not hating. They were the third best team in the league in 2011, but lost to a team that was worse either for match up reasons or because of random variation. Playoffs are a crapshoot and the teams that have the easiest path get the farthest. That's a fact. There is no hating in that, but that's a good buzzword to try to discredit arguments that can't be disproven because they are based on what actually happened.

To say the playoffs are a crapshoot when one team has to win 4 out of 7 is ridiculous. If your not good enough to win 4 games in the series your not the better team plain and simple.

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:44 PM
To say the playoffs are a crapshoot when one team has to win 4 out of 7 is ridiculous. If your not good enough to win 4 games in the series your not the better team plain and simple.

Playoffs are a crapshoot. I am not even sure how you can even argue it's not.

sventhedog
01-27-2013, 11:47 PM
westbrook chokes every time they play big games. he tries to do too much, take contested shots, turn the ball over and holds the ball.

Hardaway Here
01-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Playoffs are a crapshoot. I am not even sure how you can even argue it's not.

Yeah so when Dallas got to the Finals they had the "easiest path" that argument is BS

OceanSpray
01-27-2013, 11:50 PM

How did Mavericks make it to the Finals? You're telling me people expected them to win also? Lmao.

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah so when Dallas got to the Finals they had the "easiest path" that argument is BS

Certainly not, but exception, not the rule.

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:51 PM
How did Mavericks make it to the Finals? You're telling me people expected them to win also? Lmao.

That's a good example of the best team not always winning. Not sure what you are arguing against.

Hardaway Here
01-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Certainly not, but exception, not the rule.

There is no rule the better team wins plain and simple

xxcubs22xx
01-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Hell no.

OKC still has to make it out of the West first.

OceanSpray
01-27-2013, 11:55 PM
That's a good example of the best team not always winning. Not sure what you are arguing against.

What... You were saying that regular season is a good example to predict the NBA champions. You're telling me people expected Dallas to win during the regular season? What are you arguing against? You're contradicting yourself to the point where you're confused. The Playoffs is a different atmosphere. You think the LAL being in the eighth seed means they are going to lose easily?

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:57 PM
There is no rule the better team wins plain and simple

You can believe this if you want, but it's not true. If you take every single regular season game and every single playoff game, the random variation remains the same. The better team wins in the playoffs for one single game at the same exact rate as they do in the regular season.

Guppyfighter
01-27-2013, 11:58 PM
What... You were saying that regular season is a good example to predict the NBA champions. You're telling me people expected Dallas to win during the regular season? What are you arguing against? You're contradicting yourself to the point where you're confused. The Playoffs is a different atmosphere. You think the LAL being in the eighth seed means they are going to lose easily?

I said the best team only wins 53 percent of the time and than I said the team with the easier path is the team most likely to win a title. It's why you have a low rate of the best teams winning the nba championship. I am not exactly sure what you are arguing for or against.

That the regular season is useless for predicting and doesn't matter what happens at all?

OceanSpray
01-28-2013, 12:07 AM
I said the best team only wins 53 percent of the time and than I said the team with the easier path is the team most likely to win a title. It's why you have a low rate of the best teams winning the nba championship. I am not exactly sure what you are arguing for or against.

That the regular season is useless for predicting and doesn't matter what happens at all?

"It's not record, you use the SRS.

There is stock to put in regular season match ups and to ignore it is silly. "

That is what you posted.

Regular season doesn't mean anything. Please stop the garbage. You keep saying "most likely", "most of the time." If the better team does lose, you'll just say "Well, most of the time they win." I seriously don't know how that works.

Guppyfighter
01-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Yeah, typically the team higher in the SRS will win the series. However, thanks to multiple series and random variation the best team only wins it all 53 percent of the time, but the series 75 percent of time. Which is why it is so important to get the easier path because the variation increases the lower the gap between teams. I don't get what is so hard to understand about that.

sharqstealth
01-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Bs

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Random variation, brusky. You need to use the entire sample or else you will be taking small samples and be saying "see, it's not true."

Heat were better than the Mavericks in 2011, but lost. But the Bulls were better than the Heat and won. Playoffs are a crapshoot, which is why the team with the easiest path will usually win it all.

Random variation? From a 14 year sample size?

The easier way to throw out numbers is the bring up the contender that was the healthiest, not your b.s. easiest path, which I just showed you was bogus. The best team wins, regardless of path.

Bring The Heat
01-28-2013, 01:04 AM
The Playoffs aren't necessarily a crap shoot... I can definitely see you make the argument for the NFL playoffs which is one game and anything can happen.

However the NBA is a 7 game series. If a team beats you 4 times it's most likely that they are better than you.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 01:05 AM

using SRS does tell us who the better team is, but the playoffs are about momentum, and teams that knew they were contenders resting, and pacing themselves over an 82 game schedule, versus trying to prove to the world they are the best team. This is why the Thunder or Heat a year prior, lost.

Guppyfighter
01-28-2013, 01:34 AM
using SRS does tell us who the better team is, but the playoffs are about momentum, and teams that knew they were contenders resting, and pacing themselves over an 82 game schedule, versus trying to prove to the world they are the best team. This is why the Thunder or Heat a year prior, lost.

Momentum is very much a myth in every sport, basically. There are countless examples disproving it every single year in every single sport. For someone who uses stats you should know that an easier path will lead to getting farther. You should know momentum is a myth.

And you should also know the best team doesn't always win. Can't believe you said the best team wins regardless of path. I expected you to have a better understanding of statistics than that, especially since you use advanced stats.

gotoHcarolina52
01-28-2013, 01:55 AM
Please define "best team."

Please define "easiest path."

Thanks.

Guppyfighter
01-28-2013, 02:06 AM
Please define "best team."

Please define "easiest path."

Thanks.

Look up SRS or you can just use point differential.

Easiest path is varying degree of difficulty through out the playoffs.

Assuming both the Thunder and the Heat get the first seed.

First round
Thunder vs. Twolves/Rockets/Lakers/Blazers
Heat vs. Celtics/Bucks/Sixers/Raptors

As you can see with the first round match up the Thunder has a much greater potential for a let down because they are playing better teams.

Second Round
Thunder vs. Clippers/Spurs/Grizzlies
Heat vs. Nets/Pacers/Bulls

CF
Thunder vs. Spurs/Clippers
Heat vs. Knicks/Bulls

Now, when using the SRS to judge each team you can tell that the Thunder is playing against a great level of competition through out the playoffs, so if you do many simulations, the Heat would win more finals, because there is much less potential for upsets in their match ups.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Momentum is very much a myth in every sport, basically.

not in basketball. If you are talking about sports where you win and move on, or lose and go home, agreed. Momentum means your team is healthy, and clicking. That means a lot in basketball, over long, drawn out series.

There are countless examples disproving it every single year in every single sport. For someone who uses stats you should know that an easier path will lead to getting farther. You should know momentum is a myth.

I used a simple stat. Since Jordan retired, the west has been flat out better. There is no argument there. And they have won 10/14 rings, despite having a "tougher" path to the finals, which you stated is a negative. This is false, period. Admit you were wrong on that statement, its right in front of you.

And you should also know the best team doesn't always win. Can't believe you said the best team wins regardless of path. I expected you to have a better understanding of statistics than that, especially since you use advanced stats.

The elite team with the best health is the best determiner, though sometimes the team with the better player if they are an all-timer just overcomes. I mean, I for sure agree with the SRS argument in the first round or so, but after that, its about who is hot, and who is playing better, and quite frankly, at this moment, every team in the west could have a stronger SRS number than the Heat, but they don't have Bron.

Guppyfighter
01-28-2013, 02:22 AM
not in basketball. If you are talking about sports where you win and move on, or lose and go home, agreed. Momentum means your team is healthy, and clicking. That means a lot in basketball, over long, drawn out series.

I used a simple stat. Since Jordan retired, the west has been flat out better. There is no argument there. And they have won 10/14 rings, despite having a "tougher" path to the finals, which you stated is a negative. This is false, period. Admit you were wrong on that statement, its right in front of you.

The elite team with the best health is the best determiner, though sometimes the team with the better player if they are an all-timer just overcomes. I mean, I for sure agree with the SRS argument in the first round or so, but after that, its about who is hot, and who is playing better, and quite frankly, at this moment, every team in the west could have a stronger SRS number than the Heat, but they don't have Bron.

10/14 west teams won, because it is more likely the better team wins each individual series. However, that doesn't matter at all because the best teams aren't winning every single year. A superior west teams ends up facing off a weaker Eastern team, but that inferior East team will likely win more over a large sample because the west teams are going to have a lot more variance because there are a lot of good teams.

Switch the Heat and Thunder (Using playoff odds to determine match ups and than assume the better team wins each match up)

Do you think the Heat would have an easier time getting to the finals vs the Rockets, Grizzlies, Spurs or the Celtics, Nets, Knicks.

C-Wick925
01-28-2013, 02:26 AM
Who is stern gonna make win this year? :speechless:

jsthornton7
01-28-2013, 02:30 AM

lmao

jsthornton7
01-28-2013, 02:34 AM

lmao

shep33
01-28-2013, 02:37 AM
Miami is a terrible matchup for them.

LBJ>Durant
Wade>Westbrook (although it's close, I'd give it to Wade still)
Bosh>Ibaka

jsthornton7
01-28-2013, 02:39 AM
there's a reason why they play the games. otherwise last year you could make a post about giving the title to the spurs already. :confused:

he probably did....

jsthornton7
01-28-2013, 02:41 AM

IF the Lakers are in the playoffs, that means they are playing very good basketball and will be a nightmare scenario for any one who plays them.

Guppyfighter
01-28-2013, 02:43 AM
IF the Lakers are in the playoffs, that means they are playing very good basketball and will be a nightmare scenario for any one who plays them.

Or the Rockets, Blazers, and Jazz all decided to be really bad.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-28-2013, 03:48 AM

yes sir.

bklynny67
01-28-2013, 04:54 AM

wait, so who's the better rebounder?

bklynny67
01-28-2013, 04:57 AM
Miami is a terrible matchup for them.

LBJ>Durant
Wade>Westbrook (although it's close, I'd give it to Wade still)
Bosh>Ibaka

This method some people use to determine the better team between the two is so unbelievably flawed.

bigmac8675
01-28-2013, 05:05 AM
Absolutely not! I mean... "the Lakers are back afterall" :rolleyes: HAHA!

ThaDubs
01-28-2013, 05:10 AM

Well thought out statement. You just blatantly contradicted yourself.

tht_one_guy
01-28-2013, 06:38 AM
the reason Miami won the championship last year is cause the Heats roll players showed up to the finals and the OKC'S didnt all games were close except game 5 tht was an arse whoopin and for OKC standards they didnt shoot well from the free throw line which plays a big part in winning games. Funny thing i saw during the Celtic/Heat game last night was how biased the commentators r when it comes to Lebron at one point in the game they praised Lebron for how he extends his forearm to create space and then like 5 minutes later they say Pierce got away with a push off with his forearm i laughed until the 2nd overtime was over now dont take me wrong on this one i like Lebron way more than Pierce but i just thought it was funny am i the only person who thinks it is painful to watch the heat in the closing seconds of games

Big Zo
01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
the reason Miami won the championship last year is cause the Heats roll players showed up to the finals and the OKC'S didnt all games were close except game 5 tht was an arse whoopin and for OKC standards they didnt shoot well from the free throw line which plays a big part in winning games. Funny thing i saw during the Celtic/Heat game last night was how biased the commentators r when it comes to Lebron at one point in the game they praised Lebron for how he extends his forearm to create space and then like 5 minutes later they say Pierce got away with a push off with his forearm i laughed until the 2nd overtime was over now dont take me wrong on this one i like Lebron way more than Pierce but i just thought it was funny am i the only person who thinks it is painful to watch the heat in the closing seconds of games

The Hubie Brown effect. Every fan thinks he has it in for their team. Every time the Heat did something good: "it's unfortunate, blah blah blah." Every shot that Brandon Bass made was also the greatest shot in the history of the world.

tht_one_guy
01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
The Hubie Brown effect. Every fan thinks he has it in for their team. Every time the Heat did something good: "it's unfortunate, blah blah blah." Every shot that Brandon Bass made was also the greatest shot in the history of the world.

not really sure where u got all tht from my post but whatever

Big Zo
01-28-2013, 01:12 PM
not really sure where u got all tht from my post but whatever

Did you not mention biased commentators, or am I just seeing things?

torocan
01-28-2013, 02:37 PM
OKC may be the individual team favorite, but they are far and away under dogs to win the WCF. There are just TOO many good teams in the West that can potentially upset them.

The Spurs, Clippers, Memphis and to a lesser degree GSW and Denver all have a legitimate shot at an upset win in a series.

Face those teams twice and the odds stack up against you fast.

Heck, even the probable lower 7/8 seed teams (Utah, Rockets, Portland and the Lakers) could potentially upset any of the front running teams in a 7 game series if they got hot at the right time.

As for Miami, I think the teams that could give Miami the toughest time of the favored teams from the West are Memphis (too much size), Spurs (too much ball movement and experience) and the Clippers (crazy deep), with OKC oddly as the least favored of the four simply due to match ups of play style.

OKC has the best odds to win the WCF, but that doesn't mean their odds are even as good as 50/50 to win the WCF.

Compare this where the East where I think most people acknowledge that Miami is the odds on favorite with a better than 50/50 chance to come out of the East. With the injury to Rondo, who can really challenge the Heat this year out of the East?

The Knicks? Indiana? The Bulls (if Rose is healthy)? And 2/3 of those teams I wouldn't even consider a favorite against Denver or GSW in a 7 game series, let alone Memphis, OKC, the Spurs or the Clippers. Heck, I'm not even sure if 2/3 of those teams would be favorites against Portland and the Houston Rockets. :p

jman94
01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
OP is an idiot. This isnt european soccer where best record gives you the championship :facepalm:

justinnum1
01-28-2013, 04:06 PM
OKC may be the individual team favorite, but they are far and away under dogs to win the WCF. There are just TOO many good teams in the West that can potentially upset them.

The Spurs, Clippers, Memphis and to a lesser degree GSW and Denver all have a legitimate shot at an upset win in a series.

Heck, even the probable lower 7/8 seed teams (Utah, Rockets, Portland and the Lakers) could potentially upset any of the front running teams in a 7 game series if they got hot at the right time.

As for Miami, I think the teams that could give Miami the toughest time of the favored teams from the West are Memphis (too much size), Spurs (too much ball movement and experience) and the Clippers (crazy deep), with OKC oddly as the least favored of the four simply due to match ups of play style.

OKC has the best odds to win the WCF, but that doesn't mean their odds are even as good as 50/50 to win the WCF.

Compare this where the East where I think most people acknowledge that Miami is the odds on favorite with a better than 50/50 chance to come out of the East. With the injury to Rondo, who can really challenge the Heat this year out of the East?

The Knicks? Indiana? The Bulls (if Rose is healthy)? And 2/3 of those teams I wouldn't even consider a favorite against Denver or GSW in a 7 game series, let alone Memphis, OKC, the Spurs or the Clippers. Heck, I'm not even sure if 2/3 of those teams would be favorites against Portland and the Houston Rockets. :p
It's a great question, and the answer is maybe the bulls if rose gets back to 75% healthy. Otherwise miami won't face much resistance on their way to the finals.

Ty Fast
01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Nobody is beating them in a seven games series and Durant is poised to become the best player in the league. Miami doesn`t even have a shot because they are worse this year. So you might as well get a parade ready for OKC

how so??? miami got ray allen and okc traded harden for marin. if anyone got worse its okc.

Nick O
01-28-2013, 05:22 PM
lol

JWO35
01-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Yes

Gritz
01-28-2013, 06:26 PM
"Sweet Jesus, let me kill this igga"

JJ_JKidd
01-28-2013, 09:56 PM

cool :cool:

:facepalm:

justinnum1
01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
how so??? miami got ray allen and okc traded harden for marin. if anyone got worse its okc.

that's d12 fan's dup account. don't mind him

tht_one_guy
01-29-2013, 02:29 AM
Did you not mention biased commentators, or am I just seeing things?

dude i was making a observation on what i heard while i was watching a game i dont even like the celtics i was a neutral fan for tht game or did u just stop reading my post after u found the point u wanted to complain about if so go back and read it again when did i ever say tht there was some kind of conspiracy or anything against my team ever i was just pointing out the inconsistincey of even the commentators. When did i ever mention tht anyone has had it in for my team

thenaj17
01-29-2013, 08:09 AM
OKC is the favourite for West but if Lakers somehow scrape into playoffs, that will be a tough 1st round match up. Then assuming they beat the Lakers as would be expected, odds are that they'd have to face either Clips or Spurs in the semis and then the other 1 in the finals. Grizzlies could also be 1 of those. That is not an easy route to the finals at all.

Miami should steamroll into the East finals minimum and probably to the NBA Finals well rested.

A lot of assumptions i know, but i definitely wouldn't be giving OKC anything yet.

Big Zo
01-29-2013, 11:43 AM
dude i was making a observation on what i heard while i was watching a game i dont even like the celtics i was a neutral fan for tht game or did u just stop reading my post after u found the point u wanted to complain about if so go back and read it again when did i ever say tht there was some kind of conspiracy or anything against my team ever i was just pointing out the inconsistincey of even the commentators. When did i ever mention tht anyone has had it in for my team

LOL who's complaining? I was just pointing out that everyone hates Hubie Brown because he comes off as biased against both sides. He just has a terrible way of wording things. One side will catch what you pointed out about LeBron, and the other will only catch what he says about how it's "unfortunate" that their team did something good. Again, I never thought you were a Celtics fan, just pointing it out.

bucketss
01-29-2013, 11:46 AM

can a team have the best odds to win the wcf and still be underdogs to win the west? lol

kdspurman
01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
LOL who's complaining? I was just pointing out that everyone hates Hubie Brown because he comes off as biased against both sides. He just has a terrible way of wording things. One side will catch what you pointed out about LeBron, and the other will only catch what he says about how it's "unfortunate" that their team did something good. Again, I never thought you were a Celtics fan, just pointing it out.

I actually like Hubie. :shrug:

He seems to praise both sides during the games and doesn't seem too biased one way or the other on most nights.

Blitzbolt
01-29-2013, 11:56 AM
I think our bigs (Memphis)could beat OKC but they are the favorites.

mjqusoldier
01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
The Knicks can beat them

tht_one_guy
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM

k sorry i misunderstood what u were trying to say

ghettosean
01-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Title --> Should We Just Give OKC The Championship Already?

You'll have to ask David Stern

ghettosean
01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
The Knicks can beat them

I want that to happen but I doubt it.

Money_23
01-29-2013, 04:40 PM
yeah just give the chip to OKC after losing to the Lakers. :laugh2:

NoahH
01-29-2013, 04:50 PM
k

KingstonHawke
01-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Injuries alone make this a dumb thread. They lose a Durant or Westbrook and are done. They lose a big like Perkins, and probably lose to teams like the Grizzlies and Lakers with a lot of size.

Guppyfighter
01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Injuries alone make this a dumb thread. They lose a Durant or Westbrook and are done. They lose a big like Perkins, and probably lose to teams like the Grizzlies and Lakers with a lot of size.

They'd probably be fine without Perkins.