PDA

View Full Version : Should the Celtics trade KG and Pierce?

Quinnsanity
01-27-2013, 04:43 PM
With Rondo out the Celtics are pretty much eliminated from contention. They probably weren't winning anything anyway, but now it's almost official. By the time Rondo comes back next year may be lost as well. Should the Celtics trade KG and Pierce now while they still have some value? If so where are the logical destinations. I think KG to Oklahoma City for the Toronto pick, Perry Jones and/or Jeremy Lamb makes some sense if they can get the cap to work. Pierce to the Clippers for Bledsoe and Butler makes sense as well. Thoughts?

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
I think it depends on what those players want. Pierce has been in Boston his entire career. If he wants to retire a Celtic, he deserves that opportunity. If he wants to be traded to a contender, Boston would be wise to honour that request and see what they can get for him.

As for Garnett, i think he has done enough for Boston that he deserves the same treatment. If he wants to retire a Celtics, he deserves that. If he wants to be traded to a contender, Boston would again be wise to see what they can get for him.

that said, neither player is worth much considering their level of play, but both could help a team that is already in contention get over the hump.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Rondo's impact is overrated? The Celtics scored more efficiently with him off the floor, and the defense didn't miss a beat when he sat.

godolphins
01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Yes, I think its time to break up the band. The C's were barely championship contenders with Rondo and now that he's out for the year they have no shot at winning the title. So why not trade Pierce, Garnett, Terry, etc... for some picks and young players.

xnick5757
01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Rondo's impact is overrated? The Celtics scored more efficiently with him off the floor, and the defense didn't miss a beat when he sat.

yep. this season he was pretty average

Nick O
01-27-2013, 05:21 PM
minus well play out the season and have a last playoff run.... theyll probs get beat in the first round but hey... go all in....

Celticsfan2007
01-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Rondo will be back in two weeks.

Sean Grande the celtics radio annoncer just tweeted it. The words came right out of Rondo's mouth when talking to Cedric Maxwell during the last timeout of the game.

I don't have the link, but its out there if it tickles your fancy to go locate it.

chicagocubsfan
01-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Rondo will be back in two weeks.

Sean Grande the celtics radio annoncer just tweeted it. The words came right out of Rondo's mouth when talking to Cedric Maxwell during the last timeout of the game.

I don't have the link, but its out there if it tickles your fancy to go locate it.

What are they going to rebuild him with a cybernetic leg?

ManRam
01-27-2013, 05:27 PM

No. Because you're right.

HOWEVER, what's their upside when fully healthy? Not much. They're currently 8th in the East. Yes, they have shown they can "flip the switch" in the playoffs, but I'm not sure even they believe that any more.

I think they could replace Rondo's production easier than most think, but I don't think it's worth it. It's more beneficial for this team to blow it up IMO. Trading for a replacement PG isn't hard, because Rondo's impact offensively hasn't been that great this year. But it's just not worth it.

If the team after Rondo was better than it is now, then I think they would be right to not blow it up. But the team just isn't.

I think now is the time...and I don't think that because I think Rondo moves mountains on offense.

BleedingGreen9
01-27-2013, 05:29 PM
What are they going to rebuild him with a cybernetic leg?

I think its a great idea

DoMeFavors
01-27-2013, 05:32 PM
KG if traded will def retire after the year. Unless its a top contending place

KniCks4LiFe
01-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I see Pierce leaving. I think KG retires as a Celtic.

Stunner
01-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Rondo 's impact is and isn't overrated . Stats say one thing but don't say everything . They are clearly better with him than without . That being said its time to trade Paul and KG before they have lesser value next year . The last draft was the best time to move them. It's time to build around Rondo , he's the face . No ship this year and no ship next year with this current core . Rondo won't be back till Dec maybe that's what I'm guessing .

Caveman508
01-27-2013, 05:45 PM
KG wont play if he gets traded I'm sure

kdspurman
01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Maybe they can land calderon or someone to run the show

bloomis1307
01-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Doesn't KG have a no trade clause in his contract?

TyrionLannister
01-27-2013, 06:15 PM
From a basketball standpoint they should. But I expect Ainge and co. to talk to them and see what they want.

Yunqn
01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Pierce & garnett for gay & randolph ?

Maybe trade randolph for a younger piece or a josh smith or go for a package to get demarcus cousins ?

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Rondo 's impact is and isn't overrated . Stats say one thing but don't say everything . They are clearly better with him than without . That being said its time to trade Paul and KG before they have lesser value next year . The last draft was the best time to move them. It's time to build around Rondo , he's the face . No ship this year and no ship next year with this current core . Rondo won't be back till Dec maybe that's what I'm guessing .

No, they are not this season, that is a fact. Call them stats, or whatever you like, they are actual results.

mightybosstone
01-27-2013, 06:39 PM

This. They just beat the Heat without him, so clearly they're capable of playing good basketball with him out. I honestly think he's maybe the most overrated player in the entire league. Statistically he's the third best player on the team, but gets treated like a superstar by most fans because they have no concept of scoring efficiency.

I actually would like to see how this team responds, because they certainly have talent in the back court with Terry, Bradley, Lee and Barbosa to make up for a loss like Rondo.

Sixerlover
01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
I think everyone that is stating Rondo is overrated and they don't need him are divulging too much into advanced statistics, and not paying any attention to the eye test. Out of Bradley, Barbosa and Terry who can run a team for 48 minutes and set everyone else up to score? The Heat game is a adrenaline game for every team in the league, added to the fact that it was a Nationally Televised game at home, of course they would at least keep it close.

I don't think they'll trade Pierce or Garnett, but I also don't think they'll continue playing without skipping a beat when losing the starting PG on the Eastern All Star team and one of the best distributors in the NBA.

ManRam
01-27-2013, 07:16 PM
No, they are not this season, that is a fact. Call them stats, or whatever you like, they are actual results.

The stats do say they've been a little better with him off the court than on...but that sample size is so tiny that it's hard to turn it into "they'll be better without him for half a season than they will be without him".

His influence on the Celtic's is often vastly overestimated...but this is definitely a significant loss. I do think a replacement is easier to find than most...because I think replacing his production doesn't mean you need a top 10 PG. But they aren't better off without him.

Bring in a Calderon or Lowry and they can make the playoffs. They might even see an uptick in offense.

mightybosstone
01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
I think everyone that is stating Rondo is overrated and they don't need him are divulging too much into advanced statistics, and not paying any attention to the eye test. Out of Bradley, Barbosa and Terry who can run a team for 48 minutes and set everyone else up to score? The Heat game is a adrenaline game for every team in the league, added to the fact that it was a Nationally Televised game at home, of course they would at least keep it close.

I don't think they'll trade Pierce or Garnett, but I also don't think they'll continue playing without skipping a beat when losing the starting PG on the Eastern All Star team and one of the best distributors in the NBA.

I'm not going to sit here and say they'll be better without Rondo or even nearly as good without him. But I also think his impact is vastly overrated and if other guys pick up their games, they could feasibly play as well without him on the court. The impact would have been much greater if they had lost KG or Pierce, and if any team could weather the loss of their starting PG it's a team with that much talent in their back court.

Perhaps I do pay a little too much attention Rondo's advanced numbers at times, but I've also seen way too many games when he completely no shows to consider him a superstar as some people claim. Does he help others around him score? Most definitely. But that offense doesn't HAVE to have his playmaking to get points and his inefficient scoring is more often a detriment to the team than it his helpful.

Captain Moroni
01-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Wow

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:06 PM
The stats do say they've been a little better with him off the court than on...but that sample size is so tiny that it's hard to turn it into "they'll be better without him for half a season than they will be without him".

His influence on the Celtic's is often vastly overestimated...but this is definitely a significant loss. I do think a replacement is easier to find than most...because I think replacing his production doesn't mean you need a top 10 PG. But they aren't better off without him.

Bring in a Calderon or Lowry and they can make the playoffs. They might even see an uptick in offense.

Sure. I don't think they don't miss a beat, he is their playmaker. But his impact is indeed overrated. He can be replaced by simply getting a starting PG who takes care of the ball and can hit a jumper.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm not going to sit here and say they'll be better without Rondo or even nearly as good without him. But I also think his impact is vastly overrated and if other guys pick up their games, they could feasibly play as well without him on the court. The impact would have been much greater if they had lost KG or Pierce, and if any team could weather the loss of their starting PG it's a team with that much talent in their back court.

Perhaps I do pay a little too much attention Rondo's advanced numbers at times, but I've also seen way too many games when he completely no shows to consider him a superstar as some people claim. Does he help others around him score? Most definitely. But that offense doesn't HAVE to have his playmaking to get points and his inefficient scoring is more often a detriment to the team than it his helpful.

You must have watched on league pass, when Rondo knows he isn't in the spotlight. Seems to be the only time he goes all out and kills it, seriously.

zB_#85
01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
From a basketball standpoint they should. But I expect Ainge and co. to talk to them and see what they want.

Absolutely. They have been delaying the inevitable rebuild trying to milk another year or two out of this core, but this is the perfect opportunity to get value for them and then Rondo still misses half the year next year so their own pick could be very high lotto (do they own their own pick Bos fans?). If so, its the best time to blow it up...