PDA

View Full Version : Why is no one talking about Nic Batum?

Stuckey#3
01-27-2013, 01:03 AM
16/6/4.5/1.5/1 on a .500 team and he's only 25.

He does it all. He has Shawn Marion/Gerald Wallace potential.
Bur Lilliard is getting all the hype.
I'm not a Blazers fan.

b@llhog24
01-27-2013, 01:10 AM
He's had a great start, but he came back down to earth in the past few weeks aside from a few monster games here and there.

LTBaByyy
01-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Because they are talking about Lillard and Aldridge

He will always be the 3rd wheel

jiggin
01-27-2013, 01:34 AM
He plays for the Blazers. No one talks about them. They aren't one of the big 4 or 5 teams in the NBA that have any chance at anything. They are a "fill" team, one that's only purpose is to fill schedule for the teams already setup by the NBA to win.

shen
01-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Because they are talking about Lillard and Aldridge

He will always be the 3rd wheel

Batum is our best player. He just had his second triple double this month. He is our leader. Goes Batum then Lillard/LMA.

shen
01-27-2013, 02:03 AM
He's had a great start, but he came back down to earth in the past few weeks aside from a few monster games here and there.

What on earth are u talking about? He has been playing better lately then he was early in season or any time else in his career.

Averaging 18 points 7 rebounds 5 and half assists a block a steel a game while shooting just shy of 46%

He is our best player. He is involved on EVERY play on both ends the floor. Half our rebounds come from him tipping ball away from other team.

Baller1
01-27-2013, 02:03 AM
Batum is the man. My fantasy team loves him.

shen
01-27-2013, 02:04 AM
With every passing game he makes more people see just how bad and over rated a coach Nate was. He held back Batum and stunted this team. GM's and owners are seeing how badly Nate miss used guys and because of it he is getting no calls.

Kashmir13579
01-27-2013, 02:07 AM
He's inconsistent.

shen
01-27-2013, 02:09 AM
He's inconsistent.

Actually he is not. He has had cold and couple injurys this year that have caused couple shooting slumps this year but outside of that he is most consistent player we have. In years past he was consistent but that was 100% Nates fault.

ricky recon
01-27-2013, 02:31 AM
He's the third best player, or at least third most talented.

Aldridge is the #1 guy, and Lillard is a rookie sporting 18/6.5. Hickson has been great as well. Batum has been playing well, and he's great at what he does, but he just doesn't have that star potential like Lillard.

Marion is a poor comparison. Batum lacks the strength, size, and rebounding ability Marion had and still has as a 34 year old. He's just a different style player than Marion or Wallace. Those guys have man strength.

HouRealCoach
01-27-2013, 02:51 AM
I see him as a Tayshaun Prince type guy...

He does have some nice potential... Hate to think what would have happened if injuries never occurred to Oden & Roy

shen
01-27-2013, 02:54 AM
He's the third best player, or at least third most talented.

Aldridge is the #1 guy, and Lillard is a rookie sporting 18/6.5. Hickson has been great as well. Batum has been playing well, and he's great at what he does, but he just doesn't have that star potential like Lillard.

Marion is a poor comparison. Batum lacks the strength, size, and rebounding ability Marion had and still has as a 34 year old. He's just a different style player than Marion or Wallace. Those guys have man strength.

Anyone who really watches Blazers knows Batum is best player we have. Def better and more important then LMA.

drew_ellis_23
01-27-2013, 02:55 AM
With every passing game he makes more people see just how bad and over rated a coach Nate was. He held back Batum and stunted this team. GM's and owners are seeing how badly Nate miss used guys and because of it he is getting no calls.

Blame Nate haha. If Roy was still here we would have the same issue. Nate is a better coach. He didn't acquire the personnel. Get real. Felton was fat and got in GW's head. That is why he got fired. Don't blame Nate.

drew_ellis_23
01-27-2013, 02:59 AM
Anyone who really watches Blazers knows Batum is best player we have. Def better and more important then LMA.

Hahaha really? I watch plenty of Blazer games and without LA Batum would be crap. It is a team game. Roy held Batum back, and Batum needs LA just as bad as Batum needs LA. Blazers got a nice trio to build around, lets just hope they build around it.

Daze9900
01-27-2013, 03:12 AM
He's inconsistent.

This. People waiting on him to be a superstar; sometimes he shows flashes that he can be a great player, good player, role player. This season is his best so far.Let's be real his career average is 11.1 points per game. He's hot right now and that's what it is. When he does it for a full season and doesn't make an all-star team and you're coming into a season with that as an expectation then people outside of portland may start talking about him. He's gotta keep this pace.

ricky recon
01-27-2013, 04:11 AM
Batum is our best player. He just had his second triple double this month. He is our leader. Goes Batum then Lillard/LMA.

I'm not a metric guy, but to throw some out:

Aldridge was a 21.5 and 22.7 PER guy the last two years. He's right at 20 this year and he's sporting the worst TS% of his career. Batum is in his fifth year and he's having a career year with half the season done, his PER is also the highest it has ever been at 17.6. Aldridge is now a multiple all star. It's his team. Lillard is a rookie who is averaging more points and assists a game than either Rose or Westbrook did as a rookie, as well as a higher PER. He's got all the potential in the world, and has undeniable superstar potential, that just doesn't exist in Batum. Prince was a much better comparison, and that isn't a bad thing.

Marion was/is great in the post, has elite size/strength, and can rebound the hell out of the ball. Batum isn't that at all.

Stuckey#3
01-27-2013, 05:05 AM
I think Batum is a special player and should be considered top 5 SF.

joseph aka Jman
01-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Always been a big fan of Batum's game, guy is way under recognized

tredigs
01-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Love Batum, have for some time, but the crazy thing about his growth is how much he facilitates now compared to the past 4 years he's been a pro. Never averaged more than 1.5 apg, and BAM out of nowhere he's hovering at 5 apg. No clue where this came from. New role on the French Olympic team that sparked it?? Really not sure.

Tblaze
01-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Love Batum, have for some time, but the crazy thing about his growth is how much he facilitates now compared to the past 4 years he's been a pro. Never averaged more than 1.5 apg, and BAM out of nowhere he's hovering at 5 apg. No clue where this came from. New role on the French Olympic team that sparked it?? Really not sure.

I do think this has to do with the coaching change, before he was not being involved so much in the offense but mainly as a spot up shooter and defense/hustle player. The best improvement he made this year is being far more consistent, I think that's where he can still grow alot. He's making alot of big shots this year and I do think he can be a better player then aldridge.

xk4
01-27-2013, 08:25 AM
The second you get excited about the Blazers something bad will happen. The team has been borderline cursed for years.

Please don't start hyping Batum

:hide:

ATL#22
01-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Because he's a blazer

Swashcuff
01-27-2013, 09:14 AM

With the kind of support he has in his starting line-up it certainly helps. He isn't a much better passer he's more willing and it's been paying off for him.

JasonJohnHorn
01-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Firstly, I think there are a lot of people talking about Batum. I don't know anybody who has spoken negatively about him. Do people hype him? No, not really, but at the same time you comapred him to the like of Gerald Wallace and Shawn Marion (I think it would be fair to throw in AK-47 and Josh Smith in there as well). How many All-NBA teams do these gusy have combined? AK-47 has one All-Star game, zero All-NBA team and three All-defensvie teams. Josh Smith has one All-defensive team. Shawn Marion has 4 All-Star games and two All-NBA appearances. Gerald Wallace has one All-Star game and one All-Defensive game. You add up all those and Duncan has more appearances on those teams just by himself.

Batum is a great all around player. He's the first guy to get a 5x5 game in like 5 or 6 years, but at the same time, he's not the kind of guy who is going to draw attention from casual fans. People who know the game well have an appreciation for him. It's why Minny offered him a nice contract this off-season and why Portland matched it. Historically players like Batum have not been celebrated. But yeah, he's a great player.

Hellcrooner
01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Because he is not flashy, is european and he hasnt any brand like nike or adidas or whatever paying money for him to be 24/7 on tv in ads and crap.

shen
01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
The second you get excited about the Blazers something bad will happen. The team has been borderline cursed for years.

Please don't start hyping Batum

:hide:

So sad but so true:(

mjt20mik
01-27-2013, 01:54 PM
so happy I drafted him on my fantasy team

shen
01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm not a metric guy, but to throw some out:

Aldridge was a 21.5 and 22.7 PER guy the last two years. He's right at 20 this year and he's sporting the worst TS% of his career. Batum is in his fifth year and he's having a career year with half the season done, his PER is also the highest it has ever been at 17.6. Aldridge is now a multiple all star. It's his team. Lillard is a rookie who is averaging more points and assists a game than either Rose or Westbrook did as a rookie, as well as a higher PER. He's got all the potential in the world, and has undeniable superstar potential, that just doesn't exist in Batum. Prince was a much better comparison, and that isn't a bad thing.

Marion was/is great in the post, has elite size/strength, and can rebound the hell out of the ball. Batum isn't that at all.

When Blazers need energy we look to Batum. Blazers need a big bucket to turn momentum we look to Batum. When we need a defensive stop we look to Batum. When LMA plays bad or misses time we are fine, when Batum has an off night we play terrible and L. Batum is the heart and soul of this team. LMA is a ****** leader, he has no killer instinct and shrinks in big moments. This is Batums team.

Sevilla91
01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Please don't compare Marion and Gerald Wallace.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Batum is playing really well. Sometimes it takes people some time to notice especially since very few people catch the Portland games. Portland has some real talent.

For what it is worth I must say that Danilo Gallinari (Yes I'm a fan) is playing equally as well as Batum and he hardly gets any notice as well.

PER 36 minutes:

Batum-15.3ppg-5.6rpg-4.4apg
DGallo-18.3ppg-5.9rpg-2.7apg

shen
01-27-2013, 02:22 PM
When Sonics are back and we get our rivalry going again people will once again pay more attention to NW and more people will see and understand Batum is borderline All-Star. Many many Blazer fans believe Batum deserved it more then LMA.

ThaDubs
01-27-2013, 03:06 PM
When Sonics are back and we get our rivalry going again people will once again pay more attention to NW and more people will see and understand Batum is borderline All-Star. Many many Blazer fans believe Batum deserved it more then LMA.

That's silly. LMA is the leader of the team. Nicolas is the best defender but besides that LMA is more efficient and puts up 21 and 9 a night.

KnicksorBust
01-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Your assessment seems off-base to me. I remember him getting a lot of hype initially. He was expected to be a lockdown defender a quality offense player with a good perimeter game. He didn't explode on to the scene like people thought and he drifted back to the end of the line. It's not like his season is so overwhelmingly good now that he deserves attention. The Blazers are only a .500 team and (as many have noted) Lillard and LA are equally responsible for that record. Being part of a quality trio on an average team doesn't produce a lot of media hype.

topdog
01-27-2013, 03:15 PM
David Kahn wanted him and he's not failing miserably so no need for the media to pay attention to him :p

shen
01-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Your assessment seems off-base to me. I remember him getting a lot of hype initially. He was expected to be a lockdown defender a quality offense player with a good perimeter game. He didn't explode on to the scene like people thought and he drifted back to the end of the line. It's not like his season is so overwhelmingly good now that he deserves attention. The Blazers are only a .500 team and (as many have noted) Lillard and LA are equally responsible for that record. Being part of a quality trio on an average team doesn't produce a lot of media hype.

LMA has no killer instinct it is simple fact. He can't close out teams. He can't take a game over. so many times he gets 18-20 points first half then finishes with 22. He shy's away from leadership. He shy's away from big moments. Yes he can score and has way more offensive moves then people give him credit for. I am not denying he is a really good player and one of our top 3. However he is not nearly as important to Blazers as Batum. Batum is involved in every play on both ends of court every game. He is responsible for at least half or our rebounds, he only gets credit for like 6 or 7 a game but LMA would get 2 if not for Batum tipping them to him and keeping them out hands of other team.

LMA is over rated by many NBA fans from other teams. Batum is most underrated Blazer all time. He is heart and soul of this team. When he is not scoring or goes cold he gets others involved. If someone is having trouble on D he bails them out. He does everything for us and when we need someone to bail us out he and Lillard are the players that get looked to for help. Not LMA. Trust me I wish LMA had instinct and true star ability, he just doesn't. A reason we brought him to be 3rd star, that is where he thrives. He is Bosh. No shame in that.

shen
01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
If made up your minds that's cool. Does not bother me. My hope out of this is more people actually sit down and really watch/dissect games and see that better then advertised. I got no problem with people giving LMA respect. I understand not everyone gonna agree with me. Everyone has right to opinion. Glad to have had a productive conversation.

shizzle09
01-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Batum is flat out ballin. 2 triple dubs this week.

MrfadeawayJB
01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Because he is not a "loud player" he just goes out and does what he needs to do without saying much

sunsfan88
01-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Considering the $$ he's making, Batum needs to play better.