PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma City Thunder is NOT a small market team

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm tired of hearing numerous websites and people consider Oklahoma City Thunder a small market team. Many people get the city and team confused. The city of Oklahoma is a small market but that does not mean Oklahoma City Thunder is a small market team. When one thinks of a small market, they think of teams that struggle to fill arenas, make money, and pay players. A team like the Bucks fit that description, and there the numbers back it up.

Bucks are dead last in team value at 312 Million and there average attendance is 14,064 per game which ranks 27th in the NBA.

Oklahoma City Thunder ranks top 12 in team value, and attendance: $475 Million team value and 18,203 people per game. In addition there market is top 10 in the whole entire league, currently worth $166 M. In reality Oklahoma City Thunder has a market worth more then 66% of the NBA.

Now ask yourself how can people consider Oklahoma City Thunder a small market team...

Jumba
01-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Oklahoma City is a small market team. You answered it yourself by saying Oklahoma City is a small market...

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
i dont think filling up arenas has anything to do with being a small market..

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
There team value worth is $475M, top 12 in the league, how could they possible be a small market team
if they generate those earnings.

Hawkeye15
01-26-2013, 04:38 PM
uh, it is a small market dude. Just because they have absolutely maxed out their earning potential to climb into a respectable position doesn't mean they aren't small market.

Put it this way. If the Thunder sucked, those earnings would slash in half. The Knicks sucked for a decade, and made the same money they make now. THAT my friend, is a large market.

Hawkeye15
01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
There team value worth is $475M, top 12 in the league, how could they possible be a small market team

Because they have maximized their earnings, which is how a small market team can be in the top half of earners, by having a championship caliber roster. All those extra playoff games, posters, t-shirts, etc, hit that bottom line that most small market teams never see.

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
I see your point Hawk eye, but in 2013 theres no way the thunder can be considered a small market. I`m not saying that they are a large market, but they definitely are not small. I understand what your saying, there success is the reason why they have maximized there earnings. Regardless there market as of today in 2013 is larger then 66% of the NBA.

Hawkeye15
01-26-2013, 04:48 PM
I see your point Hawk eye, but in 2013 theres no way the thunder can be considered a small market. I`m not saying that they are a large market, but they definitely are not small. I understand what your saying, there success is the reason why they have maximized there earnings. Regardless there market as of today in 2013 is larger then 66% of the NBA.

They are making money as a moderate sized market, but their financials are skewed. They were awesome the moment they relocated. In the next 20 years, as their team regresses, the numbers will show over time, they are a small market team. They are simply maximizing all earning potential right now. Take away their success, and those earnings are slashed dude.

Hawkeye15
01-26-2013, 04:49 PM
hell, I am interested to see what the new team is Seattle does to the Thunder's merchandise sales, so many Seattle fans are Thunder fans.

Quinnsanity
01-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm tired of hearing numerous websites and people consider Oklahoma City Thunder a small market team. Many people get the city and team confused. The city of Oklahoma is a small market but that does not mean Oklahoma City Thunder is a small market team. When one thinks of a small market, they think of teams that struggle to fill arenas, make money, and pay players. A team like the Bucks fit that description, and there the numbers back it up.

Bucks are dead last in team value at 312 Million and there average attendance is 14,064 per game which ranks 27th in the NBA.

Oklahoma City Thunder ranks top 12 in team value, and attendance: $475 Million team value and 18,203 people per game. In addition there market is top 10 in the whole entire league, currently worth $166 M. In reality Oklahoma City Thunder has a market worth more then 66% of the NBA.

Now ask yourself how can people consider Oklahoma City Thunder a small market team...

It's simple, they play in a small market. That's what defines a small market team. They may not have to operate like one, but that's only because they are so well managed. It doesn't change the fact that they play in a small market.

Hellcrooner
01-26-2013, 04:55 PM
1 you are a small market.

2 if okc hadnt Stolen the team from seattle in a nightlite robbery from seatle now sacrmaneto fans wouldnt have to lose their team.

3 the moment durant walks/is traded/retirs and the team is not contending you will realize HOW much of a small market okc is, and will eventually lose the team.

ThaDubs
01-26-2013, 04:56 PM
hell, I am interested to see what the new team is Seattle does to the Thunder's merchandise sales, so many Seattle fans are Thunder fans.

The Thunder is still their team in their minds. Plus the Thunder are so much better than the Kings.

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 04:56 PM
I agree Hawk Eye it is going to be interesting what Seattle does, but regardless for the next couple of years. I would say 5-10 years. OKC will have a top market value. As long as there winning and can retain stars like Westbrook and Durant there market would not be exposed. Similar to Lebron in Cleveland, a small market team, but when Lebron was there, there market was not small. I'm thinking outside the box here.

sammyvine
01-26-2013, 05:02 PM

They are a small market team

It's just because they have a superstar in Durant and another in Westbrook that they make money/bring in fans etc...

They could never compete financially with the Knicks/Lakers and even Boston.

ThaDubs
01-26-2013, 05:03 PM
I agree Hawk Eye it is going to be interesting what Seattle does, but regardless for the next couple of years. I would say 5-10 years. OKC will have a top market value. As long as there winning and can retain stars like Westbrook and Durant there market would not be exposed. Similar to Lebron in Cleveland, a small market team, but when Lebron was there, there market was not small. I'm thinking outside the box here.

:facepalm:

Hawkeye15
01-26-2013, 05:04 PM

You are not understanding what "market" means. The market is set. A small market team will enter the top 10-12 earners if they are awesome, and fill the seats. But they have no margin for error, because their "market" is such, that in order for them to compete with the large markets, they need to run the team perfect. Large "markets" make a ton of money regardless of the product they put out to their fans.

sammyvine
Yes they were

Do you honestly think if Lebron was drafted by Boston, they would never have gotten him a legit 2nd option, something that the Cavs failed to do. Nobody really wants to play for the Cavs because they are a small market team and not an attractive destionation.

Why do the best players always end up in LA/New York/Boston etc...BECAUSE THEY ARE LARGE MARKETS.

BKLYNpigeon
the Seattle Group that purchased the Sacramento Kings paid $525 Million dollars for 65% of the team.

Hawkeye15
01-26-2013, 05:05 PM
The Thunder is still their team in their minds. Plus the Thunder are so much better than the Kings.

It may not be a quick movement, but Seattle fans will eventually be fans of their home team. Its inevitable.

Vinylman
01-26-2013, 05:06 PM
The reason that the Thunder are ONLY worth $475 million is because they are a small market team...

Team value is driven by profitability... profitability is driven by TV revenue... the difference between the Knicks/Lakers and OKC is the TV Revenue...

why? because OKC is a small market team

sammyvine
01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
You are not understanding what "market" means. The market is set. A small market team will enter the top 10-12 earners if they are awesome, and fill the seats. But they have no margin for error, because their "market" is such, that in order for them to compete with the large markets, they need to run the team perfect. Large "markets" make a ton of money regardless of the product they put out to their fans.

Exactly i don't know what he is talking about.

If OKC signed Lebron, Wade with Westbrick and Durant, they would still be a small market team despite all those superstars.
Durant is what is keeping OKC relevant. If Durant leaves, nobody cares about OKC. When the knicks sucked in the 2000's, people still watched them and they still got coverage BEACUSE THEY ARE IN A LARGE MARKET.

LogicReason
They are a small market team

It's just because they have a superstar in Durant and another in Westbrook that they make money/bring in fans etc...

They could never compete financially with the Knicks/Lakers and even Boston.

Only a few teams can compete with Knicks and Lakers... Im not saying OKC is a large market, all im saying is that they cannot be consider a ``small market team`` as on 2013...

DamnGoat
I think when people refer to them as a small market team they're talking about media market. OKC is actually a pretty big city, but as far as media markets go, it's nowhere close to places like NY, LA, Chicago, Philly, Dallas, etc, etc.

Vinylman
the Seattle Group that purchased the Sacramento Kings paid $525 Million dollars for 65% of the team.

nah... $525 is the ENTERPRISE VALUE including relocation costs... they are buying 65% of the $525... they aren't putting $525 out of pocket for 65%

sammyvine
01-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Only a few teams can compete with Knicks and Lakers... Im not saying OKC is a large market, all im saying is that they cannot be consider a ``small market team`` as on 2013...

Yes they are.
Just because you have a superstar doesn't mean your not a small market team. The fact they couldn't keep Harden even proves this. Presti was scared of having 3 players on Max contracts.
Other big market teams could pay those 3 players and keep them easily.

BKLYNpigeon
01-26-2013, 05:13 PM
oklahoma city is one of the ugliest cities in america.

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Someone go ahead a define small market... regardless of KD, Westbrook, OKC`s earnings and revenue is top 12, how in the world can that be considered a ``small market`` forget the future or past, in 2013 OKC Thunder market is not small.

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:15 PM
I agree with everyone and say Oklahoma City is a small market, but there basketball team is not a small market team as of 2013... thats my main point here

Hawkeye15
01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
The reason that the Thunder are ONLY worth $475 million is because they are a small market team...

Team value is driven by profitability... profitability is driven by TV revenue... the difference between the Knicks/Lakers and OKC is the TV Revenue...

why? because OKC is a small market team

TV deal is a good example. But again, it comes down to the only reason they are top 12 in profit in the NBA, is their team is awesome, and puts butts in the seats. What happens when the team gets older, or breaks up, or just goes through natural regression, and the fans stop coming? that doesn't happen in NY, LA, Chicago, and a few other cities. That does happen in small markets.

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:18 PM
TV deal is a good example. But again, it comes down to the only reason they are top 12 in profit in the NBA, is their team is awesome, and puts butts in the seats. What happens when the team gets older, or breaks up, or just goes through natural regression, and the fans stop coming? that doesn't happen in NY, LA, Chicago, and a few other cities. That does happen in small markets.

Longterm OKC Thunder is a small market, but in 2013 they are not a small market team...

BKLYNpigeon
01-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Ill guarantee that Durant and Westbrook wont finish their careers in OKC.

Dade County
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM

Where do I start...

If that team didn't have KD on it when they moved into that arena, it would have sold out maybe that 1st year only, because the fans of that area got a new NBA franchise.

But as the losing would have continued, ticket sales would have leveled off. Those crazy fans in Oklahoma ( God bless them for being able to scream and stand the entire game, even when an OKC player makes a free throw they start to go crazy and scream ) never really had to go through 3 to four years of just sucking; they always has KD.

I am not saying that OKC fans would not have been like Sacramento fans, always having their team back, but I will judge that fan base, when KD leaves and they have to rebuild.

Miami is a small market team, that every fan should be proud, they are getting good free agents to sign on.

Ezekial
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
The Green Bay Packers aren't a small market team! Look at their season ticket list, sellout streak, and worth.

abe_froman
01-26-2013, 05:23 PM
value and market are not the same thing(see how they are different words and all).market is the consumer/media base in which you draw from,which is small in relation to the other markets.they're valued so high because they've maximized their earnings from that market

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Ill guarantee that Durant and Westbrook wont finish their careers in OKC.

Care to elaborate on your speculations pigeonboy...

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:27 PM
value and market are not the same thing(see how they are different words and all).market is the consumer/media base in which you draw from,which is small in relation to the other markets.they're valued so high because they've maximized their earnings from that market

Miami brought in a ranking of 10.5 while Oklahoma City finished at 10.1. Comparatively, Chicago finished at 8.7 and Los Angeles finished at 8.3. Read this article how can you consider OKC a small market http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-11028918

unwantedplayer
01-26-2013, 05:29 PM

It shouldn't be too much, right? I think that some Kings fans will stick with the franchise and follow the Sonics. I'm sure there are people that are gonna jump on the Lakers/Clips/GSW fan base though.

conway429
01-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Longterm OKC Thunder is a small market, but in 2013 they are not a small market team...

hahaha... you just don't get it eh...

the "market" is basically just the size of the city they play in. the number of potential customers/viewers/fans.

teams don't change from small market to large market based on how good they are or even by attendance.

Sactown
01-26-2013, 05:36 PM
It shouldn't be too much, right? I think that some Kings fans will stick with the franchise and follow the Sonics. I'm sure there are people that are gonna jump on the Lakers/Clips/GSW fan base though.

Well we'll have to see when/if Seattle gets a team as they are currently prettty far from getting one

abe_froman
01-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Miami is a small market team, that every fan should be proud, they are getting good free agents to sign on.

miami the city itself consitutes small,but the market isnt.as miami constitutes most/all of sofla which is top 10

JEDean89
01-26-2013, 05:37 PM
okc is a small market :facepalm: the metro area population of that city is terribly low compared to most nba cities. still they have converted a much higher % of the population into thunder fans so they are succesful. take away westbrook and durant and the thunder are worth 200 million. take away melo and stat on the knicks or kobe and dwight from the lakers and they are both still two of the top 5 most valuable teams in the nba. even when the knicks sucked in the 2000's they were still one of the most valuable franchises in the nba. cleveland was a succesful team in one of the worst markets in the nba but the second lebron left their attendance and team value crashed. you need to better learn the meaning of small market.

RLundi
01-26-2013, 05:38 PM
You're wrong.

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:40 PM
okc is a small market :facepalm: the metro area population of that city is terribly low compared to most nba cities. still they have converted a much higher % of the population into thunder fans so they are succesful. take away westbrook and durant and the thunder are worth 200 million. take away melo and stat on the knicks or kobe and dwight from the lakers and they are both still two of the top 5 most valuable teams in the nba. even when the knicks sucked in the 2000's they were still one of the most valuable franchises in the nba. cleveland was a succesful team in one of the worst markets in the nba but the second lebron left their attendance and team value crashed. you need to better learn the meaning of small market.

okc is a small market... but the Thunder are not a small market team in the year 2013

abe_froman
01-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Miami brought in a ranking of 10.5 while Oklahoma City finished at 10.1. Comparatively, Chicago finished at 8.7 and Los Angeles finished at 8.3. Read this article how can you consider OKC a small market http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-11028918
again,the thunder are maximizing their consumer base.they have two of the biggest most desirable stars to watch,thus=big ratings.how do you not get this?

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Check the list for 2013, Thunder has a top 10 MARKET http://www.forbes.com/teams/oklahoma-city-thunder/

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:46 PM
again,the thunder are maximizing their consumer base.they have two of the biggest most desirable stars to watch,thus=big ratings.how do you not get this?

I'm aware of the reason why they have this value, my point is how can a team have a worth of what they do, but still be considered a "small market team" in 2013... the future is irrelevant... in 2013 Thunder are not a small market team thats all I'm saying here...

LAcowBOMBER
01-26-2013, 05:46 PM
You are trying to change what small-market means. Small-market refers to the consumer and media base that cover and see the team. They are making a lot of money and have great players, but that doesn't change the fact that they are a small-market team. They may be showing people you can be a small-market and successful, but they ARE a small-market

LAcowBOMBER
01-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Market doesn't refer to how much money they make, it refers to the media market and population of the area

John Walls Era
01-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Crooner Logic

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Market doesn't refer to how much money they make, it refers to the media market and population of the area

Population is the reason why Oklahoma City is a small market, but they are not a small market basketball team...

BIG worm
01-26-2013, 05:54 PM
How many times does it have to be explained op??? The fact that they are good has zero effect on the market size they play in....it is what it is.

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Can someone go ahead and define a small market basketball team... Thunder will not fit the description...

kobemelo
01-26-2013, 05:57 PM

lol this contradicts your arguments and answers your thread :facepalm: players dont = big market, city/metro area does

kobemelo
01-26-2013, 05:59 PM

this sums it up /thread

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
A small market team is a team that plays for a crappy location basically.

Filling out seats has nothing to do with it.

abe_froman
01-26-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm aware of the reason why they have this value, my point is how can a team have a worth of what they do, but still be considered a "small market team" in 2013... the future is irrelevant... in 2013 Thunder are not a small market team thats all I'm saying here...
because as everyone from me to hawkeye and others have been trying to explain to you.market and value are not the same thing.they are worth what they are because they are maximizing their revenue within that small market.most teams to not maximize their market to the degree that the thunder do.all a market is,is a pool from which to draw from.potential veiewrs/consumers,not consumers/viewers themselves

abe_froman
01-26-2013, 06:06 PM
.he doesnt understand what market means and isnt interested in learning so its an exercise in futility ,that is becoming apparent to me

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 06:15 PM
He doesn't know anything about economics. It's always about the location and quite frankly, OKC plays in a crappy location. Don't get me wrong, great fans, great arena. Just no one cares about that area asides from OKC. Like Cleveland, LeBron James made the team big and exciting. Big and exciting doesn't mean the team isn't small market. Same as if you buy a house, big market areas are Los Angeles, New York City, etc.

Vinylman
01-26-2013, 06:26 PM

i totally agree that is why i said that they are ONLY worth that much because they are in a small media market. There value would be higher in NY or LA... Likewise as you say their long term instrinsic value (middling team) is less than their current number...

the single biggest impact on VALUE is each teams TV deal which is driven by media market size

LAcowBOMBER
01-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Can someone go ahead and define a small market basketball team... Thunder will not fit the description...

Multiple people have, I'm beginning to think you just trolled us for awhile before anyone noticed. It's the size of their market that they draw revenue and and TV deals from. Myself, Hawkeye and Abe all gave you basically the same definition of a small market.

I'll give you that they are performing better than most small market teams and have a better roster than any small market team, but they are a small market team because of their location and the population there.

You can't say they are small market team but not a small market team. What you mean is they are a small market team that operates in a much better way than other small market teams and are experiencing more success

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Multiple people have, I'm beginning to think you just trolled us for awhile before anyone noticed. It's the size of their market that they draw revenue and and TV deals from. Myself, Hawkeye and Abe all gave you basically the same definition of a small market.

I'll give you that they are performing better than most small market teams and have a better roster than any small market team, but they are a small market team because of their location and the population there.

You can't say they are small market team but not a small market team. What you mean is they are a small market team that operates in a much better way than other small market teams and are experiencing more success

Uhhh, population has nothing to do with small market.

conway429
01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Population is the reason why Oklahoma City is a small market, but they are not a small market basketball team...

I'm getting the feeling you're trolling because you don't seem to wanna listen to anything anyone else says. If you're being serious, then you're confusing OKC being a large market, with them being a small market with a passionate fan-base. There are other examples of this (Green Bay Packers play in a small market. Just because they sell tickets doesn't change the size of their market).
Whether or not a city is a small or large market has to do with the surrounding population, the size of their "target market" (see how that works?)

This is a list of essentially the largest markets in North America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_urban_agglomerations_in_North_ America
OKC is #82.

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm getting the feeling you're trolling because you don't seem to wanna listen to anything anyone else says. If you're being serious, then you're confusing OKC being a large market, with them being a small market with a passionate fan-base. There are other examples of this (Green Bay Packers play in a small market. Just because they sell tickets doesn't change the size of their market).
Whether or not a city is a small or large market has to do with the surrounding population, the size of their "target market" (see how that works?)

This is a list of essentially the largest markets in North America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_urban_agglomerations_in_North_ America
OKC is #82.

He thinks Westbrook is the best PG... Not sure if he's seriously trolling or seriously confused.

LAcowBOMBER
01-26-2013, 08:22 PM
http://www.proadvance.com/topmediamarkets.html
OKC is the 43rd largest media market in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas
OKC is the 45 largest metropolitan area in the US

LAcowBOMBER
01-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Uhhh, population has nothing to do with small market.

Uhhh, yes it does. Those are the people the tv deals apply to and those are the people that attend games. A TV deal to a place that is only 45th in population for major metropolitan areas is going to get a lot less than a top 10 or 20 populated Major metropolitan area

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Uhhh, yes it does. Those are the people the tv deals apply to and those are the people that attend games. A TV deal to a place that is only 45th in population for major metropolitan areas is going to get a lot less than a top 10 or 20 populated Major metropolitan area

San Antonio is a small market and has one of the most populated cities in America.

--23--
01-26-2013, 08:55 PM

wow dude you're on a roll today

LAcowBOMBER
01-26-2013, 08:57 PM
San Antonio is a small market and has one of the most populated cities in America.

The major metropolitan area that includes San Antonio is the 24th most populated in the US, so no, it's not

EDIT: Here is the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

LAcowBOMBER
01-26-2013, 08:59 PM
There are 17 teams in the 23 major metropolitan areas bigger than San Antonio

PurpleJesus
01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
OKC is a small market, the current team is very marketable though, so the difference is made there. If or when the team struggles, it may become difficult to get the fans back...unlike big markets like LAL and NYK

Baller1
01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Enough of the OKC threads, Jesus.

conway429
01-26-2013, 10:14 PM

market size would reflect the surrounding areas...
San Antonio is a big city, but not the metro area.
Miami is the opposite.

San Antonio: 1.3 million (2.2 million total)
Miami: 400,000 (5.5 million total)

LAcowBOMBER
01-26-2013, 10:22 PM
market size would reflect the surrounding areas...
San Antonio is a big city, but not the metro area.
Miami is the opposite.

San Antonio: 1.3 million (2.2 million total)
Miami: 400,000 (5.5 million total)

Hooray, someone else who knows what market size means :cheer:

There are also 8 NBA teams in bigger cities, just when looking at the city

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Looks like someone doesn't know what a small market team is.

LJEATON26
01-26-2013, 10:43 PM
The Thunder aren't just Oklahoma City's team, they are the entire state of Oklahomas team. Where the state is divided in College Football between OU, OSU and Tulsa who all have pretty good fan bases. All 3 are fans of the Thunder. Which is what is helping the Thunder have the number 1 regional TV coverage in the NBA.

eibbor
01-26-2013, 11:00 PM
No matter what is said in this entire thread, they are, in fact, a small market team. Period. /thread