PDA

View Full Version : Beginning of the era of great SF's?

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 01:13 PM
90's had the great C's (Hakeem, Ewing, DRob, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo, etc.)
00's had the great PF's (Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, Webber, Sheed, etc.)

Now we have LeBron & Durant who are easily the two best players in the league, then it's Melo right after them, after that is guys like Deng, Gay, & Granger. A prospect in MKG

After that we have Jabari Parker & Andrew Wiggins (with quite a few SF's in the lottery over the next 2 years)

Finally an era with some great SF's

nycericanguy
01-26-2013, 01:14 PM
this is the PG ERA

After Lebron/Durant & Melo there is a HUGE dropoff at the SF position. And Lebron & Melo primarily play PF these days anyway.

Who is the 3rd best SF? Deng? Gay? Gallo? Batum?... big dropoff.

Fresno
01-26-2013, 01:18 PM
No.

Dumb thread to actually include Luol Deng & Rudy Gay as if they are comparable to the PF's you mentioned above who equate a "great" era of a position.

There is a big dropoff between the Elite at the SF position in LeBron, Durant, & Melo to the likes of Deng, Gay, Granger, Iggy, among others.

Its a great era for Forwards overall because the gap between being a SF and PF is practically disappearing with these guys coming into the league with their skill sets.

I Rock Shaqs
01-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Nash
Rondo
Rose
Westbrook
Wall
Holiday
Lowry
Conley
Curry
Williams
Irving
Lawson

And so on I think it's more of the point Guard era, also those are just the first ones that came to my head, not the best to worst.

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 01:31 PM
That is why is says entering and I mentioned that MKG is a prospect (also Harrison Barnes) and that Jabari Parker & Andrew Wiggins will soon be here

Also there is Noah Vonleh, Shabazz Muhammed, Anthony Bennet, , Otto Porter are also high on the draft boards

That is why in the title is says "Beginning" and ends with a "?"... I didn't say it was here right now

& Melo has played PF because of injuries to Amare, Sheed, & Camby... There has even been games when Kurt Thomas has started but he just sucks and LeBron is a Point Forward (in other words a SF) and he does everything but 20 years from now everyone will remember him as a SF not a PF

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Nash
Rondo
Rose
Westbrook
Wall
Holiday
Lowry
Conley
Curry
Williams
Irving
Lawson

And so on I think it's more of the point Guard era, also those are just the first ones that came to my head, not the best to worst.

Nash is old, Conley, Lawson, & Lowry on the same list as CP3 & Rondo is equivalent to me putting Deng, Gay, Granger on the list with LeBron, Westbrook & Rose are more like SG's playing PG, Deron Williams isn't the great PG people thought he was, he was a product of the Jerry Sloan system

SF has 3 of the NBA's top 10 players and many more coming in the draft, that why I said "beginning"

TheNumber37
01-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Dude, where have you been? There was a discussion here months ago about how the SF position is a dying one after LBJ, KD and Melo.

The future is all about the PG, I thought this was common knowledge.
Let's just look at the PGs in the NBA with true All Star pontential
Paul, Williams, Rose, Rondo, Westrbook, Irving, Parker, Jrue, Curry, Lawson, Wall, Jennings, Rubio, Lillard.

SFs
LBJ, Melo, KD.... Granger, Deng, Pierce, Gay, Iggy.... That's pretty much it

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
i think OP mistook George for being a SF. the dude is a 2 guard. he's just been playing SF since granger was out and to give lance stevenson mins at the 2.

anyways, as everyone already pointed out, the SF talent is dying..
after LeBron, Durant and Melo.. there are role players..

era of the pg.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
this is the PG ERA

After Lebron/Durant & Melo there is a HUGE dropoff at the SF position. And Lebron & Melo primarily play PF these days anyway.

Who is the 3rd best SF? Deng? Gay? Gallo? Batum?... big dropoff.

Batum has crazy potential.. but i do see your point

ThaDubs
01-26-2013, 02:16 PM
It's definitely a point guard era, but I still think in a few years Wiggins will OWN this league.

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Dude, where have you been? There was a discussion here months ago about how the SF position is a dying one after LBJ, KD and Melo.

The future is all about the PG, I thought this was common knowledge.
Let's just look at the PGs in the NBA with true All Star pontential
Paul, Williams, Rose, Rondo, Westrbook, Irving, Parker, Jrue, Curry, Lawson, Wall, Jennings, Rubio, Lillard.

SFs
LBJ, Melo, KD.... Granger, Deng, Pierce, Gay, Iggy.... That's pretty much it

CP3 is a top 5 player, Rondo is arguably top 10, Rose & Rondo are SG's playing PG, I'll give you Parker (who is an all star but he's not getting better) & Irving, but Jrue, Curry, Lawson, Jennings will never even sniff being top players in this league, I think Lillard is having his best season right now, sorta like Tyreke Evans & Brandon Jennings did in 2009 , he won't get much better, I just don't see it, As I stated above Deron Williams is not that good, Rubio & Wall are already having injury problems and I don't know how productive they will be

BTW, for most of his career Rudy Gay has been right around 19 & 6 with 46% shooting & also averaging a block & a steal, he's also hit some clutch shots here & there

Danny Granger has also spent a couple of years at the top of the league in scoring

Deng & Iggy are two of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA & Deng is leading one of the top teams in the east in scoring right now & it's amazing you say they have all star potential but everyone one of those SF's you listed (except Gay) has been on the All Star team lol.. Makes no sense

i think OP mistook George for being a SF. the dude is a 2 guard. he's just been playing SF since granger was out and to give lance stevenson mins at the 2.

era of the pg.

I never said he was :shrug:

& I like how you guys keep glossing over Andrew Wiggins & Jabari Parker (Who guys have as the best prospects since Kevin Durant)

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 02:46 PM

era of the pg.

Wait... So Granger, Gay, Deng, Gallanari, & Batum are all role players?

But it's okay to say Ty Lawson, Steph Curry, Mike Conley, Brandon Jennings, & Rubio are all all star potential huh?

& I'm sorry but LeBron, Durant, Melo>>>>>>>>CP3, Rondo, Westbrook, Rose any day of the week

I'm really having a hard time understanding you guys

Will 2 BE
01-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Nash
Rondo
Rose
Westbrook
Wall
Holiday
Lowry
Conley
Curry
Williams
Irving
Lawson

This we are seeing some of the best point guards right now. BTW you forget Chris Paul on your list :)

abe_froman
01-26-2013, 02:55 PM
its a pg's game,way to much quality depth there.

sf is a strong position right now but after the top 3 there is a substantial drop off in quality with about 5 or so good but not great players than the rest are basically just guys to fill the position that are utterly un-noteworthy

DoMeFavors
01-26-2013, 02:58 PM
PGs are pretty deep

Rose,Paul,Westbrook,Deron,Jrue,Parker,Irving

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 02:59 PM
its a pg's game,way to much quality depth there.

sf is a strong position right now but after the top 3 there is a substantial drop off in quality with about 5 or so good but not great players than the rest are basically just guys to fill the position that are utterly un-noteworthy

So after CP3, Rondo, Westbrook, Rose there isn't a dropoff in PG's?

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
PGs are pretty deep

All seriousness, give me his numbers during his years without Jerry Sloan

greg_ory_2005
01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
All seriousness, give me his numbers during his years without Jerry Sloan

He's still one of the top PGs in the league.

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
He's still one of the top PGs in the league.

He doesn't belong in the same sentence as CP3 & Rondo

I-4_Fan
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
If anything I would say this is the worst era for SF I have ever seen. There is only three who are elite, and two those play PF half the game.

Their are pretty good SF but nothing elite or to even make this look like an era of SF.

abe_froman
01-26-2013, 03:22 PM
So after CP3, Rondo, Westbrook, Rose there isn't a dropoff in PG's?
not as significant a drop off .look up at the guys behind those 4 ,like irving,parker,holiday,ect. and compare that to the drop off at sf.there's no way you cant see it

lamzoka
01-26-2013, 03:22 PM
PGs are pretty deep

replace him with RONDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 03:30 PM
If anything I would say this is the worst era for SF I have ever seen. There is only three who are elite, and two those play PF half the game.

Their are pretty good SF but nothing elite or to even make this look like an era of SF.

Go look at how many SF's are coming into the league on the draft sheets and tell me that you don't think that will help

not as significant a drop off .look up at the guys behind those 4 ,like irving,parker,holiday,ect. and compare that to the drop off at sf.there's no way you cant see it

Irving and Holiday are putting up great stats on bad teams.. Danny Granger did that, Rudy Gay has put up some numbers on a good team & don't forget how many SF's are coming in the league over the next couple of years

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM

:confused:

Yeah worse than 00 huh? In the 00's it was Pierce, Carter and everyone else... You think that was better than LeBron, Durant, & Melo

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 03:33 PM
can you wait until at least they're on an NBA floor for a season before you talk about draftees?

currently in the nba, its going thru an era of pgs. simple as that.

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 03:37 PM
can you wait until at least they're on an NBA floor for a season before you talk about draftees?

currently in the nba, its going thru an era of pgs. simple as that.

Says the guy that thinks Granger, Gay, Deng, Batum, & Gallanari are role players :facepalm:

That is why the title says "beginning".. I know you can read

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 03:42 PM
:confused:

Yeah worse than 00 huh? In the 00's it was Pierce, Carter and everyone else... You think that was better than LeBron, Durant, & Melo

in 2000 there was Paul Pierce, T-Mac, Carter, Antwan jamison, Finley, Glen Robinson, and Shareef.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
and altho grant hill got major surgery, and missed two seasons.

he was still a solid solid player.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Says the guy that thinks Granger, Gay, Deng, Batum, & Gallanari are role players :facepalm:

That is why the title says "beginning".. I know you can read

so gallo, deng, and gay are superstars?

granger i can admit is an allstar, and batum is a young stud with solid potential.

wow what other garbage are you gonna spew? in 2015 "a solid batch of young players who play the center position well in the piwi league proves that we will go back to being an era of center"?

cmon dude. use your brain and stop prematurely talking.

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 03:52 PM
in 2000 there was Paul Pierce, T-Mac, Carter, Antwan jamison, Finley, Glen Robinson, and Shareef.

McGrady was a SG in Orlando, Michael Finley was a SG, Jamison put up good numbers on a bad team (Granger has achieved that), Shareef Abdur Rahim was a PF and also put up good numbers on some not so good teams, Glenn Robinson was also a player putting up good numbers on bad teams

Grant Hill??? He missed 01, 02, 03, 04, & 06 & had just 1 all star season... Deng has had that on a winning squad and you say he's a role player

Where were you back then to think he only missed two seasons?

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 03:57 PM
so gallo, deng, and gay are superstars?

granger i can admit is an allstar, and batum is a young stud with solid potential.

wow what other garbage are you gonna spew? in 2015 "a solid batch of young players who play the center position well in the piwi league proves that we will go back to being an era of center"?

cmon dude. use your brain and stop prematurely talking.

Did I say Gallo, Gay, & Deng were superstars? I didn't know saying people were more than role players that it meant they were superstars :facepalm:

& people will always have opinions on draftees.. Just like they guy who said Andrew Wiggins will OWN this league one day, it's what he thinks

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 04:11 PM
McGrady was a SG in Orlando, Michael Finley was a SG, Jamison put up good numbers on a bad team (Granger has achieved that), Shareef Abdur Rahim was a PF and also put up good numbers on some not so good teams, Glenn Robinson was also a player putting up good numbers on bad teams

Grant Hill??? He missed 01, 02, 03, 04, & 06 & had just 1 all star season... Deng has had that on a winning squad and you say he's a role player

Where were you back then to think he only missed two seasons?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2001_totals.html

sort them out by points to find out the players i listed.

1. grant hill in 2000 was still considered a top sf. noone had hindsight in 2000 that he was going to miss several seasons.
2. Finley played sf in dallas. the sg in dallad were buckner and eisley.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2001.html
3. antwan was a better player than granger.
4. again, wrong. shareef played sf for the grizzlies. the players who played pf for them are grant long, massenburg, and swift.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/VAN/2001.html

i will however give you that tmac played sg in orlando.. i forgot about that.. i mean i knew he played sometime at the sf, but he was primarily a sg.

5. a superstar is someone who doesnt need other players to create a shot for them. thts my definition for a superstar. someone who carries a team by himself at times. deng is a classic example to my point, he is a good offball player. thats it. the whole world and his mom knows that he cant create shots by himself, he cant LEAD the bulls to wins like how rose does.

cmon now..

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Did I say Gallo, Gay, & Deng were superstars? I didn't know saying people were more than role players that it meant they were superstars :facepalm:

& people will always have opinions on draftees.. Just like they guy who said Andrew Wiggins will OWN this league one day, it's what he thinks

gallo is a role player.
gay is a suuped up role player. two notches below superstardom.
deng is a little better than a role player.

Colts2180
01-26-2013, 04:36 PM

era of the pg.

No thats where your wrong. George IS a Sf. We start him at SG because we have Granger but his natural position is SF. Hes taken off in big part because of him being at his natural position this year alot.

TornadoOfSouls
01-26-2013, 04:44 PM
It's definitely an era of PGs. It's already been said but the small forward list is top heavy - three elite players and that's it. There's only one PG clearly AS good as the top small forwards(Paul) but there's also much more quality depth at the position. Looking at the top 50 players in the league organized by PER(have to have played at least 25 mpg)...

There are 12 PGs with a PER in the top 50:

26.11 - Paul
22.98 - Westbrook
22.96 - Parker
22.80 - Kyrie Irving
21.55 - Lowry
19.98 - Calderon
19.68 - Curry
19.22 - Kemba Walker
19.06 - Sessions
18.89 - Jrue Holiday
18.39 - Rondo
18.34 - Deron Williams

In addition, there are also guys underperforming that aren't on the list including Nash, Lawson. Guys that are pretty damn good but haven't played enough games to qualify(John Wall) and some guys that very reliable but don't put up sexy stats(Mike Conley, Jarret Jack).

There are only 6 SFs with a PER in the top 50:

30.47 - Lebron
29.34 - Durant
25.14 - Melo
18.55 - Kirilenko
18.55 - Paul pierce
17.60 - Batum

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 04:48 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2001_totals.html

sort them out by points to find out the players i listed.

1. grant hill in 2000 was still considered a top sf. noone had hindsight in 2000 that he was going to miss several seasons.
2. Finley played sf in dallas. the sg in dallad were buckner and eisley.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2001.html
3. antwan was a better player than granger.
4. again, wrong. shareef played sf for the grizzlies. the players who played pf for them are grant long, massenburg, and swift.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/VAN/2001.html

i will however give you that tmac played sg in orlando.. i forgot about that.. i mean i knew he played sometime at the sf, but he was primarily a sg.

5. a superstar is someone who doesnt need other players to create a shot for them. thts my definition for a superstar. someone who carries a team by himself at times. deng is a classic example to my point, he is a good offball player. thats it. the whole world and his mom knows that he cant create shots by himself, he cant LEAD the bulls to wins like how rose does.

cmon now..

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/abdursh01.html Click the link and you will see most of his career he is listed as a PF.. Nice try but EVERYBODY knows that Abdur-Rahim is a PF

Michael Finley is a SG, Eisley is just there either because of the roster they had (that lacked any real productive SF or because they just liked playing small ball) because in 2005 when they had Stackhouse, Daniels, & Howard he never played a minute a SF

Antawn Jamison could score but he was no great player to remember years from now and he also played most of the 00's decade as a PF, he even wanted to leave Dallas because he couldn't get as much PT due to them having Dirk Nowitzki & Antoine Walker in 04

You know I was talking about the 00's so don't try to bring up just one year with Grant Hill... You cannot count him due to injuries

I'm really starting to think that you are just like 13 or 14

TornadoOfSouls
01-26-2013, 04:53 PM
gallo is a role player.
gay is a suuped up role player. two notches below superstardom.deng is a little better than a role player.

Much worse than that actually. Overpaid chucker with a PER below the league average.

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 04:57 PM
gallo is a role player.
gay is a suuped up role player. two notches below superstardom.
deng is a little better than a role player.

WOW just wow... lol

Sefalosha, Chalmers, Ronnie Brewer, Kirk Humphries, Perkins... Those are role players

Monta Ellis doesn't need anyone to create for him but it doesn't mean he's a superstar, neither is he a role player.. Just because someone isn't a superstar doesn't mean that they are a role player. You are skipping levels in between

Ben Wallace couldn't create his own shot or CARRY a team by himself so he's a role player?

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 05:03 PM
It's definitely an era of PGs. It's already been said but the small forward list is top heavy - three elite players and that's it. There's only one PG clearly AS good as the top small forwards(Paul) but there's also much more quality depth at the position. Looking at the top 50 players in the league organized by PER(have to have played at least 25 mpg)...

There are 12 PGs with a PER in the top 50:

26.11 - Paul
22.98 - Westbrook
22.96 - Parker
22.80 - Kyrie Irving
21.55 - Lowry
19.98 - Calderon
19.68 - Curry
19.22 - Kemba Walker
19.06 - Sessions
18.89 - Jrue Holiday
18.39 - Rondo
18.34 - Deron Williams

In addition, there are also guys underperforming that aren't on the list including Nash, Lawson. Guys that are pretty damn good but haven't played enough games to qualify(John Wall) and some guys that very reliable but don't put up sexy stats(Mike Conley, Jarret Jack).

There are only 6 SFs with a PER in the top 50:

30.47 - Lebron
29.34 - Durant
25.14 - Melo
18.55 - Kirilenko
18.55 - Paul pierce
17.60 - Batum

You are using a list that has Kemba Walker, Calderon, & Sessions above Rondo which is pathetic... PER always looks like that halfway through the season.. Hell Brook Lopez is a top 5 player right now using your analogy

LogicReason
01-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Funny thread no logic hahahaha.... It`s the ERA OF PG`s any fool can tell you that, close this thread...

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Much worse than that actually. Overpaid chucker with a PER below the league average.

This is his first season not shooting a good percentage... He's usually around 45-47%

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2013, 05:05 PM

era of the pg.

No he's not. He's a SF playing SG because Granger is on the team.

Sadds The Gr8
01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Deng, Gay and Granger aren't superstars like the guys you named in the past...

HouRealCoach
01-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Deng, Gay and Granger aren't superstars like the guys you named in the past...

Neither was Elton Brand, Rasheed Wallace, Pau Gasol, Kenyon Martin, or Jermaine O'Neal but they contributed to the era of great PF's...

Rik Smits, Longley, Ostertag, Cartwright, & Divac weren't superstar Centers in the 90's either... One position on every team will never all be superstars

& outside of CP3, Rose the PG's named in this thread aren't superstars so...

JEDean89
01-26-2013, 05:18 PM
i agree that their are way more allstar level pg's than sf's but no pg's compare to how to good Lebron and Durant are and i think melo is probably better than cp3 or kobe so i would say the top 3 players in the game are all sf's. i think there are a good number of above average sf's too. pierce, gay, batum, gallo, granger, george (sg's tend not to be 6'9 i think he would be a sf on just about any team that doesn't have a 20ppg sf already), deng, wilson chandler when healthy, and then there are mad prospects coming into the league. it makes sense that there are going to be more elite talent pg's then sf's i mean think about, the new rules favor small quick players and there are always going to be more talented 6' - 6' 4" guys then there are 6'6" - 6'9" guys. the talent pool shrinks as players get bigger. the position im really sad about though is the SG, i mean there should be more 20ppg sg's then there are.

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 06:19 PM
It's obvious that this is the PG era. There are so many great PG's out there.

Paul
Parker
Rondo
Irving
Westbrook
Holiday
Deron
Curry

LakersIn5
01-26-2013, 07:21 PM
it can be argued that 00 is the era of SGs too

kobe, wade, tmac, vc, iverson, joe, redd, ray allen, rip.

Kashmir13579
01-26-2013, 07:28 PM
There are a lot of amazing SFs in the NBA right now. I feel lucky.