PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith: I'm a max player.

LTBaByyy
01-26-2013, 11:27 AM
http://m.ajc.com/weblogs/jeff-schultz/2013/jan/25/josh-smith-i-feel-im-max-player/

I know y'all are going to give the most annoying typical answer, What is he supposed to say?????

But he is going to be looking for a long time if he thinks 1) he is a max player 2) a team will offer him a $100 mil max contract

waveycrockett
01-26-2013, 11:33 AM
I agree with him. He is a top-5 2 way player in the NBA right now.

nycericanguy
01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Josh Smith is like the tall version of JR Smith

He scores 16ppg or so but needs to take 15-16 shots to do so... nowhere near max player worthy.

IMO he's worth around what Gallo & Batum got, 10-12m.

Will ATL make the same JJ mistake again? I'd only give Smith a max or close to it if Howard was coming too.

justinnum1
01-26-2013, 11:40 AM
considering others who get max money, sure.

I wouldn't want my team paying him max tho...

yaswaggin
01-26-2013, 11:46 AM
I agree with him. He is a top-5 2 way player in the NBA right now.

A good 3rd option isn't worth a max player

He's very similar to Iggy in terms of overall talent, actually I'd take Iggy over him because Iggy cab actually shoot and his turnover rate is lower, while his defense is as good as smith's

old blue
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
He is pretty good, but does it really matter what he thins

Chronz
01-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Never an All-Star, for sure is a Max player

Badluck33
01-26-2013, 12:09 PM
with atlanta's history.....he will get max.

kdspurman
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
with atlanta's history.....he will get max.

Na, not this year.

GiantsSwaGG
01-26-2013, 12:18 PM
If Joe Johnson can get a max, Josh Smith can get it as well

xxplayerxx23
01-26-2013, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't give him the max

waveycrockett
01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Never an All-Star, for sure is a Max player

Fact is he should have been a multiple time allstar already in his career but the system is stupid. He's never played with a 1st or 2nd tier PG either

waveycrockett
01-26-2013, 12:29 PM
A good 3rd option isn't worth a max player

He's very similar to Iggy in terms of overall talent, actually I'd take Iggy over him because Iggy cab actually shoot and his turnover rate is lower, while his defense is as good as smith's

He's not really similar to iggy at all other than being versatile and a terrific defender. Their skillsets are completely different. He is much better offensively than iggy because he can play in the post and obviously is a bigger threat on fast breaks and lob situations because of his size. Smith over Iggy all day. Not to mention he has the ability to guard guys like Melo, KD and LeBron like pretty much nobody else can.

Doogolas
01-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Sure, if you ignore his complete and total lack of efficiency he's a max player.

kdspurman
01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
If Joe Johnson can get a max, Josh Smith can get it as well

I don't think Ferry was there at that time, which is why I don't think Smith will be getting it there. Ferry is a smart guy

justinnum1
01-26-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't think Ferry was there at that time, which is why I don't think Smith will be getting it there. Ferry is a smart guy

This.

yaswaggin
01-26-2013, 01:06 PM
He's not really similar to iggy at all other than being versatile and a terrific defender. Their skillsets are completely different. He is much better offensively than iggy because he can play in the post and obviously is a bigger threat on fast breaks and lob situations because of his size. Smith over Iggy all day. Not to mention he has the ability to guard guys like Melo, KD and LeBron like pretty much nobody else can.

So josh smith's chucking habit of missing a lot of long 2s makes him a good offensive player?

BKLYNpigeon
01-26-2013, 01:09 PM
he's not worth max money, but theres a team out there willing to pay him max money. there's just not enough talent to go around in the NBA.

thats why...

Rashard Lewis
Amare Stoudmire
Rudy Gay
Joe Johnson
etc..

get paid..

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM
He should absolutely not get payed the max, but it's the NBA so we'll see someone overpay that badly.

Sadds The Gr8
01-26-2013, 01:11 PM
If Lopez got it...he'll get it.

BKLYNpigeon
01-26-2013, 01:14 PM

The way Lopez is playing he'll earn it.. you cant find many 7 footers at 24 years old averaging about 20 points a game.

JNoel
01-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Josh knows he can get a max from the Hawks especially because they gave JJ the max, but also the Hawks will pay the money just to remain a mediocre team. If they lose him they become a cellar team resulting in 0 tickets being sold.

ManRam
01-26-2013, 01:26 PM
He's not worth it for most teams, but for a select few he might be.

If it means Atlanta gets Howard too, Smith is worth the max for ATL. He might be worth it for Boston as well. Maybe Dallas in the right situation (potentially Howard-related too). Milwaukee. A few others.

But for most, he's not worth it. He'll get it, for sure, however.

waveycrockett
01-26-2013, 01:26 PM
So josh smith's chucking habit of missing a lot of long 2s makes him a good offensive player?

Finally playing with a competent pure PG would cure alot of his "efficiency" problems.

MrfadeawayJB
01-26-2013, 01:30 PM
:laugh: everybody thinks they deserve the max! In reality, there are only about ten players in the league worthy of a max, but teams will still offer it to him

I Rock Shaqs
01-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Josh Smith is like the tall version of JR Smith

He scores 16ppg or so but needs to take 15-16 shots to do so... nowhere near max player worthy.

IMO he's worth around what Gallo & Batum got, 10-12m.

Will ATL make the same JJ mistake again? I'd only give Smith a max or close to it if Howard was coming too.

Completely disregarding he's one of the best defensive players in the league, unlike JR Smith.

I Rock Shaqs
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
he's not worth max money, but theres a team out there willing to pay him max money. there's just not enough talent to go around in the NBA.

thats why...

Rashard Lewis
Amare Stoudmire
Rudy Gay
Joe Johnson
etc..

get paid..

LOL not enough talent... are you serious?

nycericanguy
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Completely disregarding he's one of the best defensive players in the league, unlike JR Smith.

I don't know where JR got a rap for being a bad defender, but JR has been one of the best defensive players for NY this year... so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Josh isn't exactly a great defender either, he gets alot of blocks because of his athleticism, but he's not a great 1 on 1 defender. I certainly wouldn't call him "one of the best defenders in the NBA".

TheNumber37
01-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Joe Johnson got it, yes. But, JJ> JSmooth (at least for the better part of their careers).

To me, there only like 10 players truly worth the max, I hate how players now get paid for what they think you can do in the future.
It would be like someone coming from a family of 7 footers, but only being 6'3. They pay him like a center because he's still got years left to GROW and should get to that point At some point.

Man, the NBA would do well with a Franchise tag.
ONLY 1 player per roster should be eligible for max money. There should be huge cash penalties for having more than one.

shep33
01-26-2013, 01:43 PM

This statement should scare away most teams from acquiring him

Dade County
01-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Owners will be owners...smh if someone actually gives him a max deal.

GoferKing_
01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
No way Josh... :facepalm:

Lakers will give him the MAX.xD

GoferKing_
01-26-2013, 01:49 PM

thats why...

Rashard Lewis
Amare Stoudmire
Rudy Gay
Joe Johnson
etc..

get paid..

Wow, last time I was here ppl were screaming EXPANSION because of the depth of talent in the NBA. So which is it?

DreamShaker
01-26-2013, 02:01 PM
I think there is a huge difference between "max player" and "superstar". People get the max who are borderline all-stars, but guys who can lead a team to a championship with the right pieces or even as a second option, those are the guys who actially deserve that kind of commitment. If Josh Smith is making that much money, then your team, with the salary cap what it is, is highly unlikely to win a championship, and much more likely to be stuck in mediocrity purgatory.

Fresno
01-26-2013, 02:03 PM

thats why...

Rashard Lewis
Amare Stoudmire
Rudy Gay
Joe Johnson
etc..

get paid..

Amare Stoudemire was a 5X All NBA player on one of the best teams consistently in the NBA so he shouldn't even be included in this group.

DreamShaker
01-26-2013, 02:04 PM
:laugh: everybody thinks they deserve the max! In reality, there are only about ten players in the league worthy of a max, but teams will still offer it to him

Yup.

DreamShaker
01-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Amare Stoudemire was a 5X All NBA player on one of the best teams consistently in the NBA so he shouldn't even be included in this group.

He also had a knee that no one would ensure.

I Rock Shaqs
01-26-2013, 02:27 PM
He also had a knee that no one would ensure.

What does that have to do with talent? The statement was there isn't enough talent to go around the NBA not guys with good knees...

torocan
01-26-2013, 02:40 PM
There's 30 teams in the NBA.

Under the new CBA, the salary floor is $49M. That means all 30 teams MUST spend at least $49M per year in salary.

So, if Lebron, Durant, CP3, Rose etc are all tied up, and you're not a "glamor" destination, how exactly are those "other" teams supposed to compete or fill seats?

Someone will pay Josh Smith. Either a cellar team who just wants to be in the play off race, or a rebuilding team that wants a 3rd tier star to attract better Free Agents, or a play off team that just needs one more piece to become a team that's legitimately in the Championship race.

Some folks think only 10 players deserve max contract, but with Super teams all over the place, the other teams don't have much choice but to open their pockets if they don't have Hollywood, Madison Avenue, or huge populations to draw top tier free agents.

waveycrockett
01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
I think people are nuts the way they are ripping Josh Smith here. First off his defense/hustle plays dont show up in a boxscore and This guy should be a multiple time allstar that has not even reached his full potential yet imo. Right now the Max Contract should be designated for the top-30 players in the NBA, 1 for every team. Smith fits in that category.

abe_froman
01-26-2013, 02:48 PM
he'll get it,or close to it

*Silver&Black*
01-26-2013, 03:04 PM

This. I believe the only way we even re-sign Smith is if he brings Howard with him, or he does something in the playoffs that we haven't seen from him the last few seasons. At this point I would rather give Ivan Johnson and Korver money to re-sign with us.

KnicksorBust
01-26-2013, 03:10 PM

thats why...

Rashard Lewis
Amare Stoudmire
Rudy Gay
Joe Johnson
etc..

get paid..

All of those contracts were widely criticized at the time too but they made sense for the teams making them at at the time. This is why I sadly think Smith might get one.

Isn't Lopez's max significantly lower than Smith's?

There's 30 teams in the NBA.

Under the new CBA, the salary floor is $49M. That means all 30 teams MUST spend at least $49M per year in salary.

So, if Lebron, Durant, CP3, Rose etc are all tied up, and you're not a "glamor" destination, how exactly are those "other" teams supposed to compete or fill seats?

Someone will pay Josh Smith. Either a cellar team who just wants to be in the play off race, or a rebuilding team that wants a 3rd tier star to attract better Free Agents, or a play off team that just needs one more piece to become a team that's legitimately in the Championship race.

Some folks think only 10 players deserve max contract, but with Super teams all over the place, the other teams don't have much choice but to open their pockets if they don't have Hollywood, Madison Avenue, or huge populations to draw top tier free agents.

I get the logic here but it's still bad business to play equal money for Josh Smith that another team is paying for LeBron James. That's why the Hawks have been stunk in NBA purgatory.

Pistol_Pete
01-26-2013, 04:07 PM
He's not a max player. But, someone will give him max money and the be terrible in two years because they maxed out Josh Smith. The problem is that most players are not max players, but teams have to max them out to keep them.

sammyvine
01-26-2013, 04:14 PM
how can he be a max player?

he has never made an all star game!

xxplayerxx23
01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
1- he is inefficient
2-he is an overrated defender. His help defense is top notch but his help and post defense is meh
3- he is a chucker and cancer.
Yeah max money

Hawkeye15
01-26-2013, 04:42 PM
What on Josh's resume suggests he is a max dollar player?

Answer: Nothing. That being said, its a thin market this summer, he will be overpaid, I guarantee it.

Sadds The Gr8
01-26-2013, 05:03 PM
All of those contracts were widely criticized at the time too but they made sense for the teams making them at at the time. This is why I sadly think Smith might get one.

Isn't Lopez's max significantly lower than Smith's?

I get the logic here but it's still bad business to play equal money for Josh Smith that another team is paying for LeBron James. That's why the Hawks have been stunk in NBA purgatory.

yea but my point is that players of that caliber usually get overpaid. He'll get a David Lee or Boozer type contract imo.

beasted86
01-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Not max, but if Boozer got $15M a year, Josh Smith is worth around that number.

Something like 4yrs/$56M. Houston needs a 4, and they have some trade bait for a S&T.

sammyvine
01-26-2013, 05:10 PM

Didnt even make an all NBA 1st team once?

sammyvine
01-26-2013, 05:14 PM

This

The pay system is messed up in the NBA. When you have Joe Johnson earning 20m in the NBA, and a top 3 QB in the NFL (Aaron Rodgers) earning ''only'' 8m a year, that says it all.

Also the only max players in the league at this moment in time imo are Lebron, Durant, CP3, Kobe, Wade and Rose & Howard when healthy. Thats it.

Harden, Melo and Westbrook are not max players imo.

Anji
01-26-2013, 05:35 PM
What is max again??? Josh Smith is a always DPOY top 5 finisher, he is 27 years old and get's you about 17 points, 8.5 boards, 3.5 assists, 2 blocks and 1.5 steals a game. He is worth at lease 13 million a year starting salary.

He would be perfect in between Melo and Chandler.

GoferKing_
01-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Yes, small teams need to overpay and be stuck with garbage for 4 to 6 years. Nice logic.

OaklandsFinest
01-26-2013, 05:47 PM
If Josh Smith is a Max on your team, you will not win a championship.

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Josh Smith isn't even a top 20 player...

*Silver&Black*
01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Josh Smith isn't even a top 20 player...

No but he is a top 30, and it only takes 1 team to max him.

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
No but he is a top 30, and it only takes 1 team to max him.

So you're telling me someone who isn't in the top 20 should get a max contract?

xxplayerxx23
01-26-2013, 08:42 PM
What is max again??? Josh Smith is a always DPOY top 5 finisher, he is 27 years old and get's you about 17 points, 8.5 boards, 3.5 assists, 2 blocks and 1.5 steals a game. He is worth at lease 13 million a year starting salary.

He would be perfect in between Melo and Chandler.

:puke: we don't need another chucker

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Josh Smith is worth 17 million? Lolololol

Guppyfighter
01-26-2013, 08:55 PM
This

The pay system is messed up in the NBA. When you have Joe Johnson earning 20m in the NBA, and a top 3 QB in the NFL (Aaron Rodgers) earning ''only'' 8m a year, that says it all.

Also the only max players in the league at this moment in time imo are Lebron, Durant, CP3, Kobe, Wade and Rose & Howard when healthy. Thats it.

Harden, Melo and Westbrook are not max players imo.

Max pays are different. Other plays do deserve their maxes. And if you are referring to level of play, Harden has been better than Kobe this year (offense to Kobe, but all-around game, Harden.)

DallasTrilla23
01-26-2013, 09:04 PM
If guys like gordon and hibbert are getting max deals, then Josh Smith should get a max.

There's not alot of guys worth a max deal, but there's alot of guys getting them.. Josh Smith is getting a Max deal whether he's worth it to or not

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 09:09 PM
If guys like gordon and hibbert are getting max deals, then Josh Smith should get a max.

There's not alot of guys worth a max deal, but there's alot of guys getting them.. Josh Smith is getting a Max deal whether he's worth it to or not

He's getting one but the question is whether or not he's worth it. A max contract is basically Durant, LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Paul caliber. You think he's up there? Haha.

Sixerlover
01-26-2013, 10:58 PM
:laugh2: :laugh2:

eibbor
01-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Very sadly... Someone will max him out... So he is correct.

torocan
01-26-2013, 11:59 PM

No, what people are saying is that his market price will probably be the max contract.

It's like seeing that okay house where the price gets bid up because of demand. It doesn't mean he's great value, it's just what he'll probably get because there are teams willing to pay because it makes sense for those teams.

Anyone who thinks their teams should only pay the max for "superstars" would just end up with a perpetual lottery team if they were the general managers.

Free Agency is the free market, it's not fantasy...

jiggin
01-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Again...IF YOU ARE TRULY AS GOOD AS YOU THINK IN YOUR HEAD, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO TELL PEOPLE YOU ARE THAT GOOD. THEY SHOULD TELL YOU.

When asked these questions they should simply keep it out of the public light and say that they will always give 100% on the floor and let the $$$ be handled by the agents and team officials. Its an easy, classy answer...that today's players seem to not be able to say.

dodie53
01-27-2013, 12:11 AM
max player?
no.

koreancabbage
01-27-2013, 12:25 AM
max player?
no.

say that about Hibbert and Gordon. Josh Smith is more deserving than those two.

OceanSpray
01-27-2013, 12:33 AM
say that about Hibbert and Gordon. Josh Smith is more deserving than those two.

The question is whether or not he's worth it. I can sign Luke Walton to a max contract. Does that mean he's worth it?

*Silver&Black*
01-27-2013, 03:05 AM

No, go read my posts. I said it only takes 1 team, there are 25 or more teams with no superstar. In order to have an ok team, they overpay. There is not 30 superstars, so someone will overpay guys. I just know we won't, because Ferry came here not to do that (packed Joe's bags and sent his contract on his way to the Nets).

SA5195
01-27-2013, 01:26 PM
A lot of players have been given a max, Smith being talented will get it too. Is he worth it? No, but most of the players that recieved the max aren't worth it.

Wilson
01-27-2013, 02:03 PM
I would have to disagree with him but the way these GMs work, someone will offer him max money (or at least offer him way more than he's worth). Then when the CBA expires they'll complain about salaries getting out of hand again :rolleyes: :p