PDA

View Full Version : Kaman: Stern 'hates' the Spurs

AlexTmz2
01-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Written by Jose Grijalva

Chris Kaman isn't a player who usually says controversial things, especially when they're thought to be true for years.

In an interview with DallasNews.com, Kaman said the commissioner of the NBA, David Stern, "hates" the San Antonio Spurs. When he was asked about fans following players over teams, he responded:

“One exception to that is the Spurs. They understand what they have. That’s why David Stern hates the Spurs. I probably shouldn’t say that but he doesn’t like when the Spurs are in the finals because the ratings go down. People say that all the time. I don’t know how true it is but you hear stories all about that is that the ratings are down. Their basketball is the purest basketball you’re going to find, in my opinion, in the NBA, just watching them play. They play a nice pace game. They’re defense is solid. Their plays are solid. They get all their guys involved. That’s why when he sat them guys against the Heat and sent them home, they still almost won that game.”

David Stern is a businessman, who wants the highest possible ratings and marketing for his product. When he one time jokingly said he wanted the Los Angeles Lakers against themselves in the Finals, he wasn't entirely kidding. The most popular teams bring in ratings and they're marketed highly in the NBA over others. Whether they are mostly watched because they're in a larger market or because their players are attract attention (good attention or bad attention, in the marketing world any publicity is good publicity), those are the teams he wants in the big stage of his product.

For years, San Antonio Spurs fans have privately and publicly discussed their frustration with the NBA with how their team is marketed. The league and mainstream media rarely pay attention to the team unless there's some kind of negativity for the team, with most recently this season being coach Gregg Popovich sending his stars home instead of playing against the defending champion Miami Heat and a controversial photo of Tim Duncan and Tony Parker with a fake Joey Crawford at a Halloween party.

The Spurs have been looked upon as "boring" because their mentality is to win games and not to be flashy. The "flashy" teams don't always produce a winning product, but that doesn't mean the respectable way of winning will be the most popular either.

When the Spurs have gone to the NBA Finals, they haven't been the most watched series in history. According to TVByTheNumbers.com, one of the lowest Finals of all time between 1974-2008 was between the San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers in 2007 which drew a 6.2 overall rating. That series featured arguably the league's most popular player in Lebron James and it seems it didn't get too much attention as many fans will tell you it was "obvious" the Spurs were the better team that year and finished the Cavs in a 4-0 sweep.

Kaman's remarks ring true. Those rumblings have been around for a long time and especially rang true when the Spurs played the Heat. From a basketball standpoint, it was a great decision to not play his stars after a rough schedule. if you look at it from the marketing or business standpoint, it was an embarrassing night for David Stern in more than one way. His "marquee" matchup on national television wasn't going to happen and his most popular team in the league almost got embarrassed by the Spurs' second and third tier players.

The "flashy" Heat couldn't put away the fundamentally sound Spurs, who have a team first mentality with one goal which is to be the last team standing in June. Stern fining the Spurs only added to the speculation that he doesn't like the team and its success. The worst part for the commissioner is that night's ratings were pretty good and that was because the majority of the NBA's fan base were actually cheering for the lowly Spurs to beat the Heat. When you think about all the examples of headaches the Spurs have brought Stern from a business perspective, you could understand why Stern most likely doesn't like the Spurs especially when San Antonio won't change their winning ways to satisfy anyone else.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/january/kaman-stern-hates-the-spurs.html

tapajafri
01-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Well yeah, absolutely no surprise.

That's why Stern had game 6 of the 2002 WCF rigged so the lakers would win. Stern didn't want the small market Sacramento Kings in the finals as opposed to the big, money-generating huge market lakers of the giant city of Los Angeles, who had just won the previous 2 championships and generated a ton of revenue for the league. Everyone remember when Brent Barry got fouled by Fisher in the playoffs a few years ago and there was no call? Yeah.

It's unfortunate. I know most fans don't like Stern, but he actually has done some good for the NBA. The global expansion of the NBA is something Stern contributed greatly to. However, the way Stern has impacted the outcome of important playoff games for big money market teams is the grey area of his resume as commissioner.

Guppyfighter
01-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Chris Kaman is so badass.

Fired-Up
01-25-2013, 08:30 PM
If David Stern wants the Spurs to play their stars so badly then how about giving Popovich incentive to you know, actually win the game?

jon32
01-25-2013, 08:32 PM
He should go play for the Raptors then and really find out how much Stern hates a team

Blink
01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Ask Cuban and he will tell you Stern really doesn't even like basketball..

king4day
01-25-2013, 09:03 PM
I'll shot that down by saying, if he hated the spurs, he would have let Amar'e and Diaw off the hook. There were legit excuses he could have made.
He doesn't hate San Antonio

LAKobeBryant
01-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Not stern hates spurs. its stern loves heats

rocket
01-25-2013, 09:13 PM
I'll shot that down by saying, if he hated the spurs, he would have let Amar'e and Diaw off the hook. There were legit excuses he could have made.

You realize that was years back;spurs were fun to watch. Stern clearly hates the Spurs. Stern is all about the money. Worst commissioner ever.

smith&wesson
01-25-2013, 09:13 PM
kaman dont like barbours, or razors for that matter.

Chronz
01-25-2013, 09:17 PM
You realize that was years back;spurs were fun to watch. Stern clearly hates the Spurs. Stern is all about the money. Worst commissioner ever.

LMFAO

Did you really just say "back when the Spurs were fun to watch"?

They were a defensive powerhouse back then, didn't you read the article, they weren't drawing in anyone.

Sly Guy
01-25-2013, 09:17 PM

you realize his job is about the money, right?

Max.This
01-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Basketball has always been rigged. Just take the HEAT last year and this year. Lebron and Wade aren't getting the same calls as they did last year. Last year it was the HEAT, this year its another team.

sep11ie
01-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Kaman is s baaaaaaawwwwws.

rocket
01-25-2013, 09:36 PM
LMFAO

Did you really just say "back when the Spurs were fun to watch"?

They were a defensive powerhouse back then, didn't you read the article, they weren't drawing in anyone.

A defensive powerhouse isn't fun to watch? Oh I'm sorry. I guess what ever is fun to watch from your perspective is fun to watch. The Pistons were a defensive powerhouse and were a huge underdog vs the Lakers and beat them in the finals. It was pretty fun to watch... nvm i guess it was boring according to you.

smith&wesson
01-25-2013, 09:44 PM
A defensive powerhouse isn't fun to watch? Oh I'm sorry. I guess what ever is fun to watch from your perspective is fun to watch. The Pistons were a defensive powerhouse and were a huge underdog vs the Lakers and beat them in the finals. It was pretty fun to watch... nvm i guess it was boring according to you.

no ones taking away credit here. the spurs are a very good team and have been very effective. 4 championships speak for themselves....

but its no secret the spurs have been a snore to watch. They have won 4 championships. how many of those finals did you watch ? be honest! i watched the finals vs the cavs and thats it. but ive watched every other finals since I was a kid.

Kyben36
01-25-2013, 09:46 PM
i know I will probably receive heat for this but one reason I think that people hate watching them is truely their colors, Black and silver is so dark and non inviting.

smith&wesson
01-25-2013, 09:48 PM
He should go play for the Raptors then and really find out how much Stern hates a team

this.

and i have proof lol http://nba247365.com/?p=9765

smith&wesson
01-25-2013, 09:49 PM
i know I will probably receive heat for this but one reason I think that people hate watching them is truely their colors, Black and silver is so dark and non inviting.

yes i agree and also it could be that people respect duncan but dont really care to watch him bank shots off the glass two feet away from the rim anymore lol

dtmagnet
01-25-2013, 09:51 PM

All real basketball fans will agree with you, but the league makes the most money from casual fans and those are the people who are drawn by star players flashy offense etc.

king4day
01-25-2013, 09:58 PM

Not to sound disrespectful but anyone that watched basketball during the Spurs' title runs considered their brand of basketball 'boring' and not 'fun'.
Now I would take 'boring' with 'success' any day of the week, but I don't even think Spurs fans considered it a fun style of ball.

ACanadian
01-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Stern also hates the Raptors... Badly

josh81589
01-25-2013, 10:04 PM

Sad thing is he gets a lot of credit for where the league is today, but IMO anybody could have done a good job with the players he had in the league during his tenure

Fired-Up
01-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Not to sound disrespectful but anyone that watched basketball during the Spurs' title runs considered their brand of basketball 'boring' and not 'fun'.
Now I would take 'boring' with 'success' any day of the week, but I don't even think Spurs fans considered it a fun style of ball.

I love high flying play. It's fun and exciting. But I would watch Duncan over Griffin any day, any time. How interesting is a dunk when we've seen it 300 times? What's so fun about watching a guy with no moves? Duncan is like a swiss army knife. You never know what he's gonna do and while it's not a hype thing to watch with beer and the boys. It's fun on some random Wednesday with nothing to do. Hell I always enjoy it.

kdspurman
01-25-2013, 10:16 PM

To most fans its not. That Spurs/Pistons finals got rated so low, but it was so fun to watch. Sure there was no high flying dunks and alley oops, but there was tough grind it out basketball and games 5-7 were great to watch. (1-4 were kind of lopsided lol)

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind watching fast paced, high flying dunks, but that shouldn't mean those teams like the Spurs/Pistons were boring. It's just a different style. A style that has proven to be successful and result in championship appearances/victories.

In fact, run and gun teams have not proven to be that successful come playoff time.

BTW, that Pistons/Lakers Finals was Awesome to watch.

king4day
01-25-2013, 10:19 PM
I love high flying play. It's fun and exciting. But I would watch Duncan over Griffin any day, any time. How interesting is a dunk when we've seen it 300 times? What's so fun about watching a guy with no moves? Duncan is like a swiss army knife. You never know what he's gonna do and while it's not a hype thing to watch with beer and the boys. It's fun on some random Wednesday with nothing to do. Hell I always enjoy it.

To each their own. For me, if I had a choice to watch Paul/Griffin on league pass or in the case of 5 years ago, Amar'e/Nash over Parker/Duncan and their style, I'd prefer the faster pace. I'm sure casual fans would agree.
Of course there are people to enjoy watching the Spurs style. Nothin wrong with that either.

LakersIn5
01-25-2013, 10:29 PM

it got a 6.2 rating. so not really that fun to watch.

kdspurman
01-25-2013, 10:32 PM

You also have to factor in how many people that are not really fans but suddenly become fans and tune in to the finals. Those people that only tune in during the playoffs and finals and don't know what goes on before that. A lot of those people tune in to see big names, dunks, etc...

I think most people who are basketball purists appreciate seeing basketball played that way. It just doesn't happen to gain the attention of a lot of people

rocket
01-25-2013, 10:35 PM

LMFAO you judge in people ratings to judge if it was fun or not?

Oh society.

Chronz
01-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Who ever said I found them boring? Lmfao man your dense. I dont create the facts/ratings, I'm only one person genius

KingPosey
01-25-2013, 10:52 PM

Well he isn't on the Spurs.

John Walls Era
01-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Not stern hates spurs. its stern loves heats

You can't say this if you follow the Lakers. Most successful franchise and has the biggest fan base.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-25-2013, 11:13 PM
:shrug:

If he hates the Spurs yet they have so much success, does that prove he doesn't rig the league.

Clippersfan86
01-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Lol at the writer saying Kaman isn't one to say controversial things. The guy is extremely outspoken and doesn't give an F about the consequences. That's what I loved about him as a Clipper.

OceanSpray
01-26-2013, 02:56 AM
I'm still waiting for Kaman to get fined.

TheNumber37
01-26-2013, 04:03 AM

to the average NBA fan, no, great defense isn't fun to watch. triple overtimes, where guys hit buzzer beaters and go for 50 is fun to them.
Pistons vs The Fabulous Lakers?
Kobe and shaq were a huge draw alone. throw in the then ringless payton and Malone....

the best part of the series was an underdog team playing together to beat a stacked super power. same reason the Dallas heat series (both times) were fun to watch.

Guppyfighter
01-26-2013, 04:52 AM
to the average NBA fan, no, great defense isn't fun to watch. triple overtimes, where guys hit buzzer beaters and go for 50 is fun to them.
Pistons vs The Fabulous Lakers?
Kobe and shaq were a huge draw alone. throw in the then ringless payton and Malone....

the best part of the series was an underdog team playing together to beat a stacked super power. same reason the Dallas heat series (both times) were fun to watch.

I prefer defensive battles. Looks like teams aren't trying when they play bad defense. It's why I am excited for a Bulls-Pacers playoffs match up. That's the one I want to see.

Hellcrooner
01-26-2013, 05:20 AM
i guess spurs are boring for americans.

They are actually GREAT to watch if you like real BASKETBALL isntead of a collection of iso plays for the nike designed star of each team.

DanG
01-26-2013, 08:44 AM

They are actually GREAT to watch if you like real BASKETBALL isntead of a collection of iso plays for the nike designed star of each team.
this

time4change
01-26-2013, 08:59 AM
I ****ing love KaMAN.

David Stern can suck a dick, and I'm not even a Spurs fan!

Badluck33
01-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I thought David Stern hated black people??

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Truth bombs.... everyone hates the Spurs. What else is new?

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Hellcrooner with the serious goods. .

rollins94
01-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Is butthurt about losing a playoff series, ignores all other evidence. losing that series is on you bro, how you manage to have that roster stacked with talent and still not win is beyond me. anyway, i completeley agree with kaman, guys a stright shooter generally and there is obvious financial motivation for stern to hate on the spurs.

Jarvo
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Hmm no wonder we lost that Game 6 last year aganist The Thunder lol

kdspurman
01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Gregory Popovich @FakeCoachPop
Coaching from the couch...2-0. Your move Stern.

Spoof Coach Pop twitter account.... Or is it?? lol

Pop has missed the last 2 games due to illness

kdspurman
01-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Dp

blastmasta26
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM

It's not because of Americans, it's due to casual fans. Any true basketball fan would appreciate those defensive battles, but people who don't follow the NBA and only tune in during the postseason would be bored.

305 till I die
01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
You cant be too much of a basketball fan if you think the Spurs are boring, watching Duncan, Manu, and Parker at their best was a beautiful thing to watch, as well the fantastic coaching from pop.

TornadoOfSouls
01-26-2013, 04:56 PM
It was pretty obvious Stern hated them during last year's conference finals. Thunderefs got to the Finals thanks to the crooked officiating. As soon as the zebras stopped helping them, the Heat destroyed the Thunder with ease.