PDA

View Full Version : How did Alvin Gentry find a way to Run&Gun while also posting up his bigs?

Chronz
01-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Seems like everyone wants the Lakers to do the simple things, like pound it inside, but is it really that simple?

How many teams were both strong posting up while also excelling at a fastbreak/pnr oriented offense. The only modern team that comes to mind are the Suns with an All-Star Shaq and Nash.

Im not talking about the disastrous Terry Porter led Suns, but what Gentry was able to do in his limited time with the duo. Contrary to popular belief, Shaq did not slow the Suns down, during 31 games with Shaq+Nash+Gentry, the Suns had the highest pace factor in the Nash era. Think about that.

For 31 games (18-13), the Suns never ran as much as they did during Shaq's final days. Their offense was elite and if not for the injury to Amare, could have made some noise in the playoffs.

So why cant D'Antoni do what his assistant was able to do so effortlessly? Check poll options for my theories.

Tony_Starks
01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Gentry understood something D'Antoni doesn't which is your bigs have to touch the ball. Not shoot, but touch it even if they just get it and kick it back out. When they're involved they crash boards harder, alter more shots, which leads to more fast breaks. When you just ignore them they get disengaged.

I've seen the Lakers literally go for minutes at a time where Dwight doesn't even get so much as a glimpse of the ball. Numerous times. They pretty much give him token post ups here and there and if he blows it then it's all jumpers the next few minutes. Not gonna work...

Bravo95
01-25-2013, 06:52 PM
1 and 5.

kobe4thewinbang
01-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Gentry understood something D'Antoni doesn't which is your bigs have to touch the ball. Not shoot, but touch it even if they just get it and kick it back out. When they're involved they crash boards harder, alter more shots, which leads to more fast breaks. When you just ignore them they get disengaged.

I've seen the Lakers literally go for minutes at a time where Dwight doesn't even get so much as a glimpse of the ball. Numerous times. They pretty much give him token post ups here and there and if he blows it then it's all jumpers the next few minutes. Not gonna work...This.

sunsfan88
01-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Alvin Gentry is an underrated players type coach. Lakers should hire him this off season once they fire Gentry. And then trade for Michael Beasley.

TrueFan420
01-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I want to pick all of them