PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesn't D'Antoni Just Go to a Zone Defense?

Tony_Starks
01-25-2013, 05:31 PM
It's obvious his teams defense have always been disgusting but why in the world doesn't he implement a zone more? Look at Don Nelson for example. An offensive coach but he would switch it up and throw the zone out there, with some pretty good success. Not to mention other coaches that actually teach sound defense even use the zone occasionally. Doc Rivers, Carlisle, and Woodson for example.

It just seems like a no brainer given his aversion to anything close to respectable defense. Even a high school coach can effectively use a zone for stretches at a time......

Chronz
01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Im guessing because you cant teach players where to be in the 30 minutes he focuses on defense.

I guess the simple zones should be mixed in, but your not going to change much with those. Lakers biggest defensive weakness isn't their halfcourt defense IMO, it may not be a strength but their transition D strikes me as the worst in the league. You cant fix that with zones, but by relenting on the offensive glass and focusing on getting back, slowing down the pace would help too.

macc
01-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Zones can be effective for a short time, and that's about it. Any team that can shoot the ball decently will eat a zone alive. The NBA is to complex to just run a zone and think you're good.

Sly Guy
01-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Zones can be effective for a short time, and that's about it. Any team that can shoot the ball decently will eat a zone alive. The NBA is to complex to just run a zone and think you're good.

I'd go even further to say most teams have at least 2-3 shooters who can stretch a zone to the point where it becomes ineffective. It only takes a matter of time before the other team figures it out and breaks it down. It's why even teams who play a zone regularly, only use it as a sparingly or as a surprise out of a timeout.

Tony_Starks
01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm not saying run it exclusively but mixed in here and their could help. In the half court they are literally lost on D. They have no idea how they're playing pick N roll, some guys are trying to fight through screens while others switch often leaving people wide open, when guys penetrate the paint the bigs don't know whether they're going to challenge or box out. It's comical.

A simple zone won't solve that but letting them just defend a spot occasionally I think would help. It should at least be an option...

kobe4thewinbang
01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Zone also lets players rest somewhat, too, doesn't it? As a momentary strategy, it's sufficient. There's just no energy from the Lakers aside from MWP and Kobe at times. But they're both slower than they used to be.

LAKobeBryant
01-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Shut up about lakers and dantoni were not winning when he's still here. Nothing can be fixed as long as he's head coach

Tony_Starks
01-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Shut up about lakers and dantoni were not winning when he's still here. Nothing can be fixed as long as he's head coach

Uh..... Im a Laker fan bruh. Chill out, we're all frustrated....

hornetsfansydne
01-25-2013, 09:51 PM
A zone is also nowhere near as effective as what it can be in the international game where it is used the most. Because of the defensive 3 seconds, the big in the middle must constantly move out of the key. Now because of the constantly shifting nature of a zone (as the ball moves, the zone moves) coupled with this moving of the big out of the key, it opens you up to even more confusion on weakside defensive help situations and would probably lead to open layups.

I'm personally biased towards playing full court man D because that is what I was brought up playing but the Lakers need to learn how to play man defense to be able to effectively play a zone. As the adage goes, a good man defense is a zone and a good zone is man but to be able to play the zone in the first place they need to learn how to play man together so that the confusion I spoke about above won't happen as easily

Hellcrooner
01-25-2013, 10:41 PM
cause you cant use what you dont know.