PDA

View Full Version : Marv Albert Says NBA Arenas Use ARTIFICIAL Crowd Noise and Phony Cheers!

arealballer
01-25-2013, 05:35 AM
I was watching and listening to the celtics vs. knicks broadcast, and while the game itself was reasonably interesting, I thought it was hilarious that at least according to marv albert, some nba arenas, including TD Garden, pipe in pre-recorded cheers and crowd noise. Marv thought it was cheesy as hell, akin to sitcom laugh tracks.

The most obvious use of crowd noise on tv (aside from sitcoms) that I've seen are wwe broadcasts, where spectators are sitting on their hands, obviously not making any noise, yet the arena (on tv) sounds like it's erupted with noise.

Can anyone verify if Albert's claim is true or not? I think it says a lot about fan interest if arenas are resorting to this.

xxcubs22xx
01-25-2013, 05:52 AM
Hmmm going to Bulls games all I can really think of is the "MAKE SOME NOISE" meter-thing, which always does the same thing and may/may not add noise. But I don't think that really counts

xk4
01-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Regarding comments on tonight's @NBAonTNT broadcast, the @Celtics have never used artificial crowd noise. #iamaceltic #CelticsTalk

Kashmir13579
01-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Celtics are phonies!

ChaseHamels
01-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Regarding comments on tonight's @NBAonTNT broadcast, the @Celtics have never used artificial crowd noise. #iamaceltic #CelticsTalk

Is this what the PR Director told you? How can you even make this statement?

JoeyDubb23
01-25-2013, 09:09 AM
I was watching and listening to the celtics vs. knicks broadcast, and while the game itself was reasonably interesting, I thought it was hilarious that at least according to marv albert, some nba arenas, including TD Garden, pipe in pre-recorded cheers and crowd noise. Marv thought it was cheesy as hell, akin to sitcom laugh tracks.

The most obvious use of crowd noise on tv (aside from sitcoms) that I've seen are wwe broadcasts, where spectators are sitting on their hands, obviously not making any noise, yet the arena (on tv) sounds like it's erupted with noise.

Can anyone verify if Albert's claim is true or not? I think it says a lot about fan interest if arenas are resorting to this.

They definetly used crowd noise last night, You could easily tell.
There was a moment halfway through the second quarter where just a shot was made and no fans seemed to move, but it sounded like a game winning shot at the buzzer, thats when marv called it out,

Watch the game again and listen, most of the time its clearly fake,

BKLYNpigeon
01-25-2013, 09:19 AM
you guys didnt know? it happens everywhere.

Ch0ZSeN1
01-25-2013, 09:31 AM

It's true. I remember going to games at the meadowlands or izod area when the Nets used to play there. They were really bad and used to give tickets away... Maybe there would be a few hundred people in the arena ( and that's being generous) and at some points in the game it sounded like a sell out crowd in game 7 of the finals. You could just hear it over the speakers. It was no doubt audio.

mzgrizz
01-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Really? Of course. Depends on crowd here because we are loud most of the time. But I remember the first time they used it. It was when Pau wanted his trade and they used it to drown out the boos

mzgrizz
01-25-2013, 09:48 AM

:nod:

pacosarae
01-25-2013, 09:53 AM
it happens everywhere.http://webcardid.com/apple/images/a17

Sly Guy
01-25-2013, 10:48 AM
in new jersey, the nets did it all the time. raptor broadcasts pointed it out almost every game. An area with 8,000 people all sitting on their hands making noise like arco arena in 2002....lol, it was such a joke.

oak2455
01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
They have Robert Parish make weird noises during the game

Daaaarryyl
01-25-2013, 12:52 PM
It was obvious a few times that it was phony crowd noise, easy to tell. I remember the Nets doing it for years.

But the biggest thing I learned was that the Sonics did this in the Finals vs the Bulls in '96.

Wow, I remember complimenting their fans for such a loud arena that series.

tom04041
01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Hmmm going to Bulls games all I can really think of is the "MAKE SOME NOISE" meter-thing, which always does the same thing and may/may not add noise. But I don't think that really counts

Also at Bulls games, the "Let's go Bulls" chant with the drum beating has artificial noise as well (The chant too, not just the drums).

lamzoka
01-25-2013, 01:58 PM
I hope thats not what OKC been doing. i love the energy in that crowd.

nycericanguy
01-25-2013, 02:08 PM
I didn;t know and hasn't noticed it, but when Marv bought it up I couldn't stop noticing it the rest of the game... and really it was kind of pathetic.

NickyNick
01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
when he said it, the screen said "make some noise" and everyone went nuts......he said they are pumping it in, as in they are asking the fans to get loud.

Snakeyestx
01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Rockets fans don't need "Canned noise" because when they actually DO something incredible, we're genuinely loud from the sheer surprise of it all (since we're rather tired of hearing "...with the 14th pick in the 20xx draft, the Houston Rockets select...)

Now... I wouldn't put it past them to actually turn on mics to amplify noise when noise is made... perfectly sensible since they run around with mics throughout the games anyway.

koberulesall
01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
its true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the league has been fixed since the 2011 season its all down hill from there!!!!! the miami heat are going to win it they set it up for them to win there is no way around it, its not a talent contest anymore its a popularity contest the officials control the game on who they want to win they call BS calls ALL the time and it changes the momentum of the game, THIS LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME BASKETBALL FAN is just about through its slowly turning into a reality WWE-WWF type show and i dont want any part of it Kobe Bryant Dirk and Duncan are the only real thing left in this league and they are on there way out and SO AM I

ILLUSIONIST^248
01-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Sure!

blastmasta26
01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
I actually had no idea this happened.

xk4
01-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Is this what the PR Director told you? How can you even make this statement?

Excuse me for posting information straight from the team's feed? You can choose whether or not to believe it. But once in a while it's nice to see information from an official source, rather than baseless opinions from random people.

dtmagnet
01-25-2013, 07:41 PM
I know that I noticed this one time the Raptors were in Milwaukee, there was almost no one in the arena and yet it was as loud as a Final Four game. They were even using college cheers like D-D-D-Defense! Most notably of all was the chant of "Baaaaad Caaaaallll, Baaaaaad Caaalllll!" We all know real fans say "bulllllll shiiiiii*" I thought it was completely ridiculous.

sunsfan88
01-25-2013, 08:09 PM
I think the Thunder do this the most. People want to say OKC has such great fans and passionate fans and everything but think for a second, do you think Oklahoma of all places really has that many NBA fans?

TrueFan420
01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Didn't this just happen in the nfl

kdspurman
01-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Bill Simmoms said Marv Albert is lying, and this is in no way true lol

king4day
01-25-2013, 10:39 PM
This most certainly not happening in Charlotte.

OceanSpray
01-25-2013, 10:42 PM
:facepalm:

I can't believe people don't know this yet...

jiggin
01-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Celtics are phonies!

YOU ARE ALL BIG FAT PHONIES! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSTEqHxh3fI)