PDA

View Full Version : Which Rookie This Season Will Have The Best Career?

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
It is clear at this point in the season that Damian Lillard has the ROY award wrapped up so long as he maintains his current level of play and no other rookie suddenly jumps into another stratosphere of play that we have not yet seen from them, but that said, there are some guys who certainly have the potential to be great players once they develop. So just as Okafor won the ROY over Howard, and Howard went onto develop into the better NBA player, it is possible that we might see the likes of Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond develop into better players than Lillard.

So of the rookies in this year's class, which do you think is going to develop into the best player?

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
And I apologize in advance for not making the list longer on the poll. there are a few other guys I should have put on the list. Mods can feel free to add names to the list if they like.

Manimal
01-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Anthony Davis. This guy is gonna be a moster if he can stay fit. He's having trouble with fitness right now and you can trace it back to his Olympics participation. But if he's fit this guy is gonna be Howard with a basketball IQ and a jumpshot.

New Orleans are sitting on Davis, Gordon and Anderson all locked down for atleast four years. If all three stay fit, Hornets are gonna be dangerous come 2015.

Blink
01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Watch out for Drummond...that is all

ManRam
01-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Sullinger is an interesting inclusion in this poll; feels a little out of place.

Gators123
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Andre ****ing Drummond.

cdnsportsfan
01-24-2013, 11:33 AM
You don't have him listed up there, and with the way Lillard has been playing it's hard to say that he'll be a better player but Terrence Ross (Raptors) has shown signs of turning into a well rounded player. From the highlights it's obvious the guy is crazy athletic, but beyond his impressive dunks he's also a good defender and has a pretty decent outside shot. He needs to put in some work still it's true, but he's got good potential.

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Sullinger is an interesting inclusion in this poll; feels a little out of place.

That's a fair assessment. I really like the kid. He's averaging a double-double per36 minutes right now. I've also heard a lot of other people talking highly of him, and he had a rough start to the season, so the fact that his averages are where they are indicates that he's made vast improvements. When I check the box scores I see that he is leading Boston in rebounding a lot of nights despite not getting as many minutes as some other guys. I think he's got the potential to be really good.

That said, I voted for Drummond, and that may be in part due to the fact I'm a Pistons fan, but Anthony Davis is a legit option. The fact that he is shooting as high a percentage as he is right now, and the fact that he is leading rookies in blocks AND steals, while also committing less than 3 fouls a game is VERY impressive. Normally shot blocks and guys who get steals, also get more fouls, but he's getting it done defensively without committing fouls. He's ninth among rookie in fouls per game, but considering that he's getting more minutes than every rookie ahead of him says a lot (though Waiters and Lillard get slightly less fouls with more minutes).

But all that said, Drummond simply isn't getting the minutes to put up averages like Davis, but if you look at his per36 minutes stats he's actually averaging more rebounds, steals and blocks and shooting at a high percentage (neither gets many assists right now). Drummond's major drawback is his dismal FT%, which Davis has him beat by a long shot.

Lillard I think is great, but his FG% is a little low. I understand he is a rookie and that is to be expected, but he's going to have to bring that FG% up as his career progresses.

topdog
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm going with Drummond. Davis' health concerns me as far as making predictions (since I am not up on the details). Drummond definitely could be a giant amongst men in a league starving for good centers.

mjt20mik
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Drummond intrigues me the most. He has the most potential, and I'm curious to see what he could do with consistent 30+ mins.

Ross also could be a very good player down the line. Not sure if he has all-star potential, but I see him average 18 and 6.

Baller1
01-24-2013, 01:10 PM
I'd say Anthony Davis rather easily. Lillard and Drummond have the best shot of having great careers otherwise.

Celtics33
01-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Anthony Davis will have the best career barring injury.

Sly Guy
01-24-2013, 01:40 PM
drummond. Dude looks like he could be a once in a generation big.

Freyakazoide
01-24-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm really a bigfan of Sullinger, he does all the little things a big man needs. Just a insane rebounder.

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Easily Drummond. Lilliard is good but I don't think he'll get much better. Drummond on the other hand has so much potential. It's a shame he's not getting the minutes.

Rain City
01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
drummond.

dont sleep on rivers, he shouldnt have come out this year but hes got the skill to be a 20pts per guy, he'll just have a longer learning curve.

rocket
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
I'll take the guy who nearly averages a double double with only 20 mpg

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 03:54 PM
drummond.

dont sleep on rivers, he shouldnt have come out this year but hes got the skill to be a 20pts per guy, he'll just have a longer learning curve.

He has the skills to be a 20 PPG guy but I'm more aware of his RPG and BPG. Huge numbers for a rookie. He's only going to keep improving. Detroit Pistons need to think about making him their franchise player. His only flaw is his FT%.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Lillard doesn't really have to get much better. Its Lillard, cuz I don't know how well Davis, Drummond, and sullinger hold up after they get some miles on them. Though I think Drummond and Davis have insane upside if they stay healthy. Lillard came into the league as a polished pro, he's ROY and I think his game is tailored to today's nba.

Byronicle
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Lillard is pretty healthy and already he has the best offensive game

Drummond is way too raw offensively and is playing off the bench against backups. Would he have the same success playing against starters? doubt it

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 04:14 PM
I think Lillard is overrated. He's got a good team but they're still not in the playoffs with him running the point. Drummond should get more minutes, around 30. He can certainly average a double double each night. Also, Lillard is old for a "rookie." He's had a huge head start and still produces average stats.

JoeDirt05
01-24-2013, 04:21 PM
I think Lillard is overrated. He's got a good team but they're still not in the playoffs with him running the point. Drummond should get more minutes, around 30. He can certainly average a double double each night. Also, Lillard is old for a "rookie." He's had a huge head start and still produces average stats.

haha overrated good one. And explain how he is on a good team we were predicted to finish in the high lottery when the season started lillard's play as made everyone around him better batum and wesley are playing the best basketball of their careers and a lot has to do with the play of Lillard at the PG position. Lillard will be the best player out of this class when it is all said and done he is already looking like he will end up being one of the best overall players in the league in a couple years.

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 04:28 PM
haha overrated good one. And explain how he is on a good team we were predicted to finish in the high lottery when the season started lillard's play as made everyone around him better batum and wesley are playing the best basketball of their careers and a lot has to do with the play of Lillard at the PG position. Lillard will be the best player out of this class when it is all said and done he is already looking like he will end up being one of the best overall players in the league in a couple years.

There's a reason why people on this forum is voting for Drummond and not Lillard.

1) Lillard played college ball for 3 years.
2) Lillard is 22 years old.

That means Lillard should be averaging those stats and more. He also only has 6-7 years to improve because once he hits 29, he'll start declining. His FG% is terrible. His team should be winning much more with that kind of roster.

Drummond on the other hand is 19 years old. He's averaging 20 MPG with 7 RPG and 8 PPG. His FG% is 60% and he's a big man. That means he's going to have huge value in a small league of today. He's also averaging 1.6 BPG. Lillard is definitely rookie of the year but if you think he's going to turn to Chris Paul next season or the seasons after, you must be dreaming. The only reason Drummond isn't ROTY is because he's only averaging 20 minutes. If this guy averaged the same amount of minutes Lillard is playing, double his stats up to 14 RPG, 16 PPG, and 3.2 BPG. That's the best center.

rocket
01-24-2013, 04:42 PM

Drummond is way too raw offensively and is playing off the bench against backups. Would he have the same success playing against starters? doubt it

:laugh: Post of the year.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 04:54 PM
There's a reason why people on this forum is voting for Drummond and not Lillard.

1) Lillard played college ball for 3 years.
2) Lillard is 22 years old.

That means Lillard should be averaging those stats and more. He also only has 6-7 years to improve because once he hits 29, he'll start declining. His FG% is terrible. His team should be winning much more with that kind of roster.

Drummond on the other hand is 19 years old. He's averaging 20 MPG with 7 RPG and 8 PPG. His FG% is 60% and he's a big man. That means he's going to have huge value in a small league of today. He's also averaging 1.6 BPG. Lillard is definitely rookie of the year but if you think he's going to turn to Chris Paul next season or the seasons after, you must be dreaming. The only reason Drummond isn't ROTY is because he's only averaging 20 minutes. If this guy averaged the same amount of minutes Lillard is playing, double his stats up to 14 RPG, 16 PPG, and 3.2 BPG. That's the best center.

You gonna double up Drummonds minutes against back-ups or starters? And what's gonna happen when they just start hackin him and sending him to the line, where he is AWFUL? Can't play him reliably down the stretch against motivated opponents. Regardless of Lillards age, weber state to the nba, and this is his adjustment period? Give him two more years to cut down the turnovers, polish the field goal percentage (though his adjusted field goal percentage is 49%), another assist and half, and he is a borderline top 5 point guard.

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 05:01 PM
You gonna double up Drummonds minutes against back-ups or starters? And what's gonna happen when they just start hackin him and sending him to the line, where he is AWFUL? Can't play him reliably down the stretch against motivated opponents. Regardless of Lillards age, weber state to the nba, and this is his adjustment period? Give him two more years to cut down the turnovers, polish the field goal percentage (though his adjusted field goal percentage is 49%), another assist and half, and he is a borderline top 5 point guard.

Okay, so James Harden was the sixth man last year. Gave him more minutes and look what he's doing. How do you get to the point where Drummond is playing bench players? How do you know when he's inserted into the rotation? You don't. You just assume that since he's coming off the bench, he's playing the likes of Brian Scalabrine or something. You seem to disclose the fact that he's 22. The question is who will have the best career. He's already 3 years older than Drummond and has 5-7 years to be an elite player. Drummond has nearly 10.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 05:26 PM
If you looked into my first post, I said Drummond has insane upside, I'm not hatin on him. I'm just saying the way you say I can't assume when he's coming into the rotation, you can't assume he's just gonna double up on all his numbers when he gets more minutes like that. Lillard's posting high minute totals and producing at a top 10 pg level. I'm just going with what I consider a proven commodity, over potential. As you said, harden was 6th man of the year, so I don't really see the comparison. Harden was also regarded as a starter on pretty much any other team. Harden is not necessarily the rule. And as far as age, I like a guard with great control and coming into the league with a mostly filled out frame, as opposed a big who's body is obviously still filling out. And where did I say anything about scalabrine?

Spiggity_ace
01-24-2013, 05:40 PM

i actually laughed at this.

Jamiecballer
01-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Kidd-Gilchrist is my favorite player from this class. I think he will better than Davis, Lillard, Drummond and everyone else.

Gators123
01-24-2013, 06:07 PM

Lol you act like he ONLY plays against backups. Thats simply not true.

I can play that game too though. Ross isn't playing half as good as Drummond and he comes off the bench also. Hes not even playing good against other bench players! Will he even be in the NBA in a couple years?

;) Exactly.

In those 20 MPG Drummond gets, he is EASILY our best player. Even better than Monroe. I think if he started the rest of the season he would average about 10 points, 10 rebounds, 2.5 blocks with very good defense.

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 06:12 PM
If you looked into my first post, I said Drummond has insane upside, I'm not hatin on him. I'm just saying the way you say I can't assume when he's coming into the rotation, you can't assume he's just gonna double up on all his numbers when he gets more minutes like that. Lillard's posting high minute totals and producing at a top 10 pg level. I'm just going with what I consider a proven commodity, over potential. As you said, harden was 6th man of the year, so I don't really see the comparison. Harden was also regarded as a starter on pretty much any other team. Harden is not necessarily the rule. And as far as age, I like a guard with great control and coming into the league with a mostly filled out frame, as opposed a big who's body is obviously still filling out. And where did I say anything about scalabrine?

You don't have to mention Scalabrine. The fact that you said Drummond played against bench players already signifies that he's playing the likes of Scalabrine, which is false. Have you ever watched a Pistons game? Probably not. He plays in all sorts of games. He doesn't come in when Dwight comes out. The only reason Drummond isn't getting minutes is because Detroit values Greg Monroe as their best player. It's unfair to double up his numbers but the fact is he can learn more when he plays more. Let's take away Harden and put Kobe. Gave Kobe more minutes and he became one of the greatest players ever.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Haha I'm glad you know so much about my consumption of nba basketball, I'm in the wizards market, so I see em a few times, though obviously less than you. And just so were clear, you're saying Drummond is gonna be Kobe? You're comparisons don't quite make sense to me. If we're just comparing random players, I'm sure we could talk about many that have no relevance to Drummond that got more minutes and failed translate when they did. Not sayin that Drummond will fail, just sayin, pump the brakes a bit.

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Haha I'm glad you know so much about my consumption of nba basketball, I'm in the wizards market, so I see em a few times, though obviously less than you. And just so were clear, you're saying Drummond is gonna be Kobe? You're comparisons don't quite make sense to me. If we're just comparing random players, I'm sure we could talk about many that have no relevance to Drummond that got more minutes and failed translate when they did. Not sayin that Drummond will fail, just sayin, pump the brakes a bit.

You stated he's playing vs bench players. Okay, Kobe was a bench player during his rookie season. The years after that, he constantly improved. I'm just saying you can't say he's going to be good or bad just based off the position he is in. In no way did I say Drummond is going to have a legacy like Kobe. I'm using the comparison that he can be a great player regardless of who he plays. He just needs the minutes. The question is who will have the better career. Drummond is 19. Lillard is 22. Both are averaging great numbers with Lillard playing double Drummond's minutes. You tell me.

I know how much you watch just based off the fact that you think Drummond plays bench players. If you ever watched them play, you would see he comes in and out of rotations against any player.

kingofdaburbs19
01-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Obviously John Henson...Length, post moves, he's more polished now on offense then any other rookie big man

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 07:06 PM
You keep coming back to age. Age is not a defining factor in talent. You know that three years equals three years of consistent expansion of play? No more than I do. Not questioning the validity of your opinion, just questioning your reasoning. Comparing him to Kobe or harden for the cache they have, takes away from your argument. At least make a comparison to a comparable big. A more successful Tyson chandler seems obvious as a guy who succeeded when given more minutes.

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 07:12 PM
You keep coming back to age. Age is not a defining factor in talent. You know that three years equals three years of consistent expansion of play? No more than I do. Not questioning the validity of your opinion, just questioning your reasoning. Comparing him to Kobe or harden for the cache they have, takes away from your argument. At least make a comparison to a comparable big. A more successful Tyson chandler seems obvious as a guy who succeeded when given more minutes.

What? Age has nothing to do with it? Read the question. The question refers to who will have the better career. How can you have a better career when you have less years to prove it while not playing on par with your age? You're not thinking logically. Lillard is playing better right now. He's playing more minutes and handles the ball 24/7. Do you think his 5-7 years will outshine Drummond's 10 years? I don't think so. He better be putting up Chris Paul/Westbrook numbers for those next 5-7 years.

Deception
01-24-2013, 07:23 PM
:laugh: Post of the year.

Post of the year, idiot of the forum.

NYKnickFanatic
01-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Lillard and Drummond both look very promising.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 07:34 PM
What? Age has nothing to do with it? Read the question. The question refers to who will have the better career. How can you have a better career when you have less years to prove it while not playing on par with your age? You're not thinking logically. Lillard is playing better right now. He's playing more minutes and handles the ball 24/7. Do you think his 5-7 years will outshine Drummond's 10 years? I don't think so. He better be putting up Chris Paul/Westbrook numbers for those next 5-7 years.

Where did I say age has NOTHING to do with it? The only argument that you've really made is that Drummond is younger. You wanna say Drummond is better because he's younger, that's fine, congrats. My argument for lillard is based on a modest expansion of his ALREADY PROVEN numbers. You have been basing your opinion on pure speculation, based on a lack of playing time. Where's my lack of logic?

Sactown
01-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Lillard in his first season nearly averaging 18/7/4 on a TS% of .538 is very solid. He's looked very good.
also for everyone saying Lillard is 3 years older, so what? He doesn't have extreme extra millage, so I expect them to both play for about equal time.

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Where did I say age has NOTHING to do with it? The only argument that you've really made is that Drummond is younger. You wanna say Drummond is better because he's younger, that's fine, congrats. My argument for lillard is based on a modest expansion of his ALREADY PROVEN numbers. You have been basing your opinion on pure speculation, based on a lack of playing time. Where's my lack of logic?

"Age is not a defining factor of talent." Yes it is. Lillard has had 3 more years to work on his game, understand? I already said Lillard is better, you just can't seem to understand what the question is asking. The question is WHO WILL HAVE THE BETTER CAREER. Right now, on the pace they are going, Lillard better have some crazy numbers to make up for the 3 years he's giving up to Andre Drummond. My opinion on Andre Drummond isn't speculation, it's the fact that he's playing at a high level while being 19 years old. The talent and size he has is praised upon in a small league of players in today's game. Pure speculation, hmmm. Is drafting LeBron peer speculation? Yes. Did he perform to the hype? Yes. Not saying Drummond is in the same situation but the fact that you discount "Peer Speculation" means drafting players should be random.

RipCity32
01-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Drummond,A 7 foot 300lb Big with Lebron type athleticism that already dominates in the 20 mins he plays at the age of 19.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 08:04 PM
By saying that age defines talent, are you saying that Brandon knight is better than Russell Westbrook because he's younger? You keep making these blanket statements are way too broad to defend. Lebron, really? Wasn't drafting Kwame brown based on speculation because of upside? How's that work out again? How bout oden? For every Lebron, Kobe, and harden, how many Adam morrisons, Kwame browns, and Greg odens are there?

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 08:13 PM
By saying that age defines talent, are you saying that Brandon knight is better than Russell Westbrook because he's younger? You keep making these blanket statements are way too broad to defend. Lebron, really? Wasn't drafting Kwame brown based on speculation because of upside? How's that work out again? How bout oden? For every Lebron, Kobe, and harden, how many Adam morrisons, Kwame browns, and Greg odens are there?

I think you're too ignorant to discuss with.

1) Andre Drummond plays a different position than Knight. His position is valued more.
2) I never said age>talent. I said for his age, Lillard has had more time to work on his game and therefore he's had an advantage.

You seem to forget that more people agree with me than you, therefore it's you who needs to do some understanding. It's evident that Drummond has more potential than Lillard. You're basing it off stats now vs future. Drummond is averaging better stats than Lillard for a player only getting 20 minutes.

I'm using LeBron as an example since you said pure speculation shouldn't be used. It's pure speculation to draft LeBron because he performed so well in High School. He's now the greatest player in NBA. So why can't I base Drummond's potential when he has already proven it? Are you telling me a 19 year old averaging 8 PPG, 7 RPG, and shooting 60% from the field while averaging 20 MPG is a fluke? Lmao, you're too closed minded and ignorant to understand. I already admitted Lillard is the better player now. We're talking about the future and career wise. This whole entire question is pure speculation since we're basing the futures off their career now. You're simply speculating that Lillard is going to continue proving yet you get angry when I state Drummond has potential to have the better career? Understand the question and come back with a better response. Also, Drummond has played better than Kwame/Oden ever had. Your logic is terrible. If management knew Drummond was averaging 8 PPG, 7 RPG, 20 MPG, and 60 FG%, he would've been a top 5 pick easily.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Haha alright, if we're talking about positions not matching up.... Harden, Kobe, Lebron? Which one was the pf/c again. I used that to illustrate a point on how age doesn't equate to talent. I don't know where I came off as closed minded, I never said he couldn't end up being better. Only that I worry about a young body accumulating excess miles early, which is the only reason his minutes are limited, and as you never addressed his abysmal ft% when those minutes increase. He's obviously at least the second best player in the pistons front court with Monroe. I like Lillard, you like Drummond, lets leave it at that.

And a two vote difference isn't all that great.

RipCity32
01-24-2013, 08:34 PM
I think Drummond can become a better FT shooter.The other night Doc Rivers tried to start hacking him in the first quarter and Drummond went 6-8 from the line.

Gators123
01-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Drummond-

Season Age Tm Lg Pos G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
2012-13 19 DET NBA C 42 838 22.9 .594 .615 16.4 25.8 21.1 3.7 2.4 6.4 11.3 16.4 119 96 1.9 1.8 3.7 .212

He ranks-

#11 in PER (22.9!)
#11 in offensive rating
#5 in defensive rating
#14 in total offensive rebounds (remember, 20 MPG)
#14 in total blocks
#15 in blocks per game
#18 in TS%
#2 in offensive rebounding %
#11 in defensive rebounding %
#4 in total rebounding %
#6 in block %
#6 in WS/48

People that don't watch him have no idea how great he has been.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 08:41 PM
I will give you, his shot isn't as bad as some I've seen. But it's worth noting, he was 4-14 outside that game this month.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
01-24-2013, 08:42 PM
*free throw shot

OceanSpray
01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Drummond-

Season Age Tm Lg Pos G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
2012-13 19 DET NBA C 42 838 22.9 .594 .615 16.4 25.8 21.1 3.7 2.4 6.4 11.3 16.4 119 96 1.9 1.8 3.7 .212

He ranks-

#11 in PER (22.9!)
#11 in offensive rating
#5 in defensive rating
#14 in total offensive rebounds (remember, 20 MPG)
#14 in total blocks
#15 in blocks per game
#18 in TS%
#2 in offensive rebounding %
#11 in defensive rebounding %
#4 in total rebounding %
#6 in block %
#6 in WS/48

People that don't watch him have no idea how great he has been.

It's exactly as that. People who don't watch him play don't understand that he's underrated as hell. They just hear about Lillard and Davis. Goes to show the majority of NBA fans.

rocket
01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
It's exactly as that. People who don't watch him play don't understand that he's underrated as hell. They just hear about Lillard and Davis. Goes to show the majority of NBA fans.

It's cool he sucks at ft's so hes bad!

Phenomenonsense
01-24-2013, 11:28 PM

The only team to try to send Drummond to the line with intentional fouls was Boston, and he rewarded them with 6/8 FTs. Drummond actually has a decent shot at shooting FTs in the future from his form. Right now he's REALLY inconsistent with them though.

IKnowHoops
01-24-2013, 11:34 PM
As crazy as this sounds...Royce White

GunFactor187
01-24-2013, 11:36 PM
As crazy as this sounds...Royce White

You just made HotMayo bust a nut there.

ThaDubs
01-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Drummond. Lillard will win ROY, but in the long run I think Drummond could become one of the most dominant big men in the league. He's already shown us that he can score, rebound, and play great defense. After that, D Lill, then Anthony Davis or Bradley Beal. After than I'd put MKG and Harrison. Upcoming draft classes look promising as well. Ben McLemore, Cody Zeller, Anthony Bennett, etc. And you all know about Andrew Wiggins.

JasonJohnHorn
01-25-2013, 01:20 AM

Just because he's scoring the most doesn't mean he has the best offensive game. His FG% needs some serious work.

DeyAce
01-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Mr. Drummond

ROY 2 MVP Braun
01-25-2013, 02:22 AM
might not have the best but will certainly have a really good career is john henson if we didnt have ilyasova and henson was starting i think he'd be in conversation with lillard n drummond! kid is really good! just has to bulk up a little bit and get his jumper to be a little more solid

JasonJohnHorn
01-25-2013, 02:51 AM
For the Lillard vs. Drummond debate I have to say this.

I voted for Drummond. Anybody who says: "He's playing against other bench players." is using a straw man argument. He is playing against NBA players. Period. Asik came off the bench, and now that he gets starting minutes he's among the league leaders in rebounds. He didn't dip in production. Lots of guys come off the bench their rookie season, Kobe for example, and frankly, he didn't even excel against the "other bench players" the way Drummond is. Coming off the bench has nothing to do with it. He is playing NBA talent and he's getting it done. Drummond biggest drawback is that he can't shoot free throws. That is not going to be a big deal his first couple of seasons, because Detroit won't be competing much, but when he is on a winning team that will be a huge factor. As to the age, the fact that Drummond is younger suggests that Lillard has had more time to develop his game than has Drummond, so it's not surprising that he is more NBA ready. Lillard is likely closer to his potential right now than is Drummond.

For those suggesting that Lillard's age is a factor, that is a fair assessment. He has had more time to develop his skill so he is obviously more NBA ready than most of the guys coming out of the draft. That is not something to hold against him, but when considering 'potential', and looking at guys like Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond, it makes sense to think that Lillard is perhaps already playing near his full potential while Drummond and Davis have room to grow because they are so young.

Lillard is playing great. Is he making players better? Batum improved his game last year and most expected him to improve it this year. Is Batum playing the best basketball of his career right now? Yes. Is that because of Lillard? Lillard isn't hurting him, but I'm sure most will agree that Batum would have seen his numbers increase this season regardless of who his PG is. He is a young player who is improving. He is in his fourth season and he has improved his numbers each year. Most expected him to improve his game this year. As for Matthews "playing his best ball", that is not the case. He is shooting his second lowest FG% this year, and he posted better per36 minutes stats two year ago when he posted a career high in FG% and 3PT%. Matthews has not improve this season over last, he is simply getting more minutes. His FG% is a little higher, but he had a better year his sophomore season. Likewise this is not LMA's best season. Obviously one might expect his scoring average to go down with the development of Batum and the addition of Lillard, but his FG% is also down. Hickson is playing his best basketball, but he's not scoring as much as he did last season without Lillard. His improved play has to do with how he is working the boards, which Lillard has nothing to do with. Nobody else on the team is even averaging 5 points a game right now.

Lillard is playing great ball, but he is not "making his teammates better". That is an exaggeration. He will certainly win ROY, but in order for him to have a good career, he's got to bring that FG% up and reduce the turnovers. These are typical areas of improvement for rookies, so it's not a horrible thing. In fact, it is expected of a rookie PG to need to improve in those areas. With his experience in college, and his size, and the fact that he had no competition for minutes at PG, a lot of people were picking Lillard to win ROY before the season started (myself included), but at the same time, it is fair to suggest that Davis and Drummond have more potential. Jennings put up similar stats in his rookie season, and he was a little younger than Lillard, so taking that into consideration, it might be wise to be cautiously optimistic about Lillard. I think he will be great, but his numbers suggest like he may be closer to Brandon Jennings as his career progresses than he will be to CP3.

cleptopot
01-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Anthony Davis and it isn't close

RipCity32
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
might not have the best but will certainly have a really good career is john henson if we didnt have ilyasova and henson was starting i think he'd be in conversation with lillard n drummond! kid is really good! just has to bulk up a little bit and get his jumper to be a little more solid

I like Henson and try to keep up with him mostly because if Drummond would not have dropped to 9 than Henson would be a Piston.Why doesn't he play more?seems like when he gets big minutes he has monster rebounding games.

koreancabbage
01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
homer pick: i am going to go with Terrence Ross. He definitely heads a new class of shooting guards in this league. He has made my anger for BC less (not drafting Drummond) with his exciting dunks and his shooting ability - definitely needs more touches and plays run for him. Casey is a ***** when it comes to overplaying his vets and keeping his rookies on the bench,

pick: Anthony Davis is going to have the best career. Drummond might develop into Dwight Howard -lite mentality in the game. decent player but doesn't have the killer instinct. I believe his mental game is weak and that's why he dropped down the draft. He was a lottery pick before workout. Drummond could also have the best career or the worst drop-off career wise.

koreancabbage
01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
homer pick: i am going to go with Terrence Ross. He definitely heads a new class of shooting guards in this league. He has made my anger for BC less (not drafting Drummond) with his exciting dunks and his shooting ability - definitely needs more touches and plays run for him. Casey is a ***** when it comes to overplaying his vets and keeping his rookies on the bench,

pick: Anthony Davis is going to have the best career. Drummond might develop into Dwight Howard -lite mentality in the game. decent player but doesn't have the killer instinct. I believe his mental game is weak and that's why he dropped down the draft. He was a lottery pick before workout. Drummond could also have the best career or the worst drop-off career wise.

UKblazers
01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
For the Lillard vs. Drummond debate I have to say this.

Lillard is playing great ball, but he is not "making his teammates better". That is an exaggeration. He will certainly win ROY, but in order for him to have a good career, he's got to bring that FG% up and reduce the turnovers. These are typical areas of improvement for rookies, so it's not a horrible thing. In fact, it is expected of a rookie PG to need to improve in those areas. With his experience in college, and his size, and the fact that he had no competition for minutes at PG, a lot of people were picking Lillard to win ROY before the season started (myself included), but at the same time, it is fair to suggest that Davis and Drummond have more potential. Jennings put up similar stats in his rookie season, and he was a little younger than Lillard, so taking that into consideration, it might be wise to be cautiously optimistic about Lillard. I think he will be great, but his numbers suggest like he may be closer to Brandon Jennings as his career progresses than he will be to CP3.

I agree with nearly everything you said about Drummond and personally believe he will be a DPOY in the near future. I completely disagree with the Brandon Jennings comparison however. Jennings as a rookie had a TS% of .475, Lillard on the other hand has a TS% of .538. In fact Jennings in his fourth year still has a lower TS% at .515 That is a huge difference. Secondly as of last week Lillard was the 14 most efficient player in the entire NBA in points per possession of isolation plays and 23rd most efficient player of the pick and roll. I think as a rookie to be in the top 25 in those categories suggests that he comfortably could average 22+ points as he enters his prime. In fact just by cutting down of his 3pt attempts and attacking the rim more he would be over 20 points a game with better efficiency. To everyone saying he hasnt made his team better please take a quick glance at Portland's bench, Portland literally has the worst bench in the NBA.

Despite all this I still voted for Anthony Davis.

TheNumber37
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Drummond or Davis.
but ill pick Davis because he will be the center piece and Drummond is still looking to get consistent mins.

nolafan33
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Anthony Davis and that shouldn't even be a debate.

Gators123
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53963/the-andre-drummond-experience

On Friday night in his return to Miami, you saw Drummond’s promise early in the fourth quarter. He stripped the ball from Dwyane Wade, not once but twice. On back-to-back possessions. And then, he dribbled the length of the floor the other way for the finish on each occasion.

After the second pick-pocket, Drummond actually Euro-stepped around Ray Allen for the layup. Yes, seconds after stripping Wade, the nearly 300-pounder used Wade’s own signature scoring move on a fastbreak.

And it worked. Well, kind of. The way that particular play ended encapsulates the Andre Drummond experience. It didn’t end in a layup or a thunderous dunk, but a trip to the free throw line after Wade mauled him from behind.

The charity stripe is the one place on the court where Drummond looks human. After the pair of spectacular efforts, Drummond missed both of the ensuing free throws, dropping his free-throw percentage to a dreadful 40.9 percent on the season.

Steal, dunk, steal, missed freebies. It always seems to be three steps forward, one giant step back for Drummond. At age 19, that’s all you can really ask for.

“He guarded Wade as well as anyone,” Frank said after the game. “And I’m not saying that jokingly.”

:laugh2:

This was one of Drummond worst games recently and he still had 6 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 blocks in 25 minutes.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-26-2013, 02:15 PM
imo anthony davis followed by drummond.