PDA

View Full Version : Report: Jermaine O'Neal involved in profanity-laced confrontation with Suns GM

Fresno
01-22-2013, 09:50 PM
As the Suns have come unraveled with their third consecutive non-winning season and a coaching change, the frustration has spilled over into the locker room.

Veteran Jermaine O'Neal and general manager Lance Blanks were involved in a heated, expletive-filled argument after interim coach Lindsey Hunter's first practice Monday, league sources confirmed to CBSSports.com. One person familiar with the tirade called it a "clearing of the air," but there are many issues remaining for the Suns to clear up before Hunter makes his coaching debut Wednesday night in Sacramento.

Among them, sources said, is O'Neal's concern about what his role will be under the new coach. Though O'Neal and Hunter never had any personal issues before, sources said O'Neal's concern may have stemmed from his sense of loyalty to Alvin Gentry, who was removed last week in what the team described as a mutual parting of the ways. Hunter is known to have been Blanks' choice to succeed Gentry.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/21599385/sources-oneal-hunter-in-heated-argument-as-suns-transition-to-new-coach

Jermaine O'Neal missed practice today with an unstated medical issue and said he is unable to make the #Suns trip to Sacramento
https://twitter.com/paulcoro

This guy is supposed to be a veteran to set an example for the younger players and all he is worried about his role.:rolleyes:

GiantsSwaGG
01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
He's a thug. Remember the brawl at the palace?

thephoenixson28
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
I don't blame him. It probably had to do with firing gentry. Sarver should sell the team.

NBA_Starter
01-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Good to see how much he cares but he could have def. gone about it better.

Brewhouse94
01-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Didn't even know that O'Neal was still playing

Shortys4711
01-22-2013, 10:31 PM
I don't blame him. It probably had to do with firing gentry. Sarver should sell the team.

This! The teams has just gone to s**t over the past few years, Sarver needs to go, infact fire everyone in the front office too. Keep the medical stuff and start over. ********* ******* team, its a joke. SMH

smith&wesson
01-22-2013, 10:34 PM
He's a thug. Remember the brawl at the palace?

most people will get in to atleast one fight in their lives. doesnt mean they are all thugs..

jordan one time hit his own teammate (steve kerr) is jordan a thug too :confused:

mdm692
01-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Anybody talking **** about O'neal and this certain situation better do some research about the situation or STFU. O'neal has been a class act and a mentor in the locker room and nobody in the Suns fan base blames him for this. Our FO is a joke and they are running our franchise to an all time low.

douglas
01-22-2013, 10:36 PM
I bet Jermaine O'Neal was really mad when he confronted the Suns GM.

mdm692
01-22-2013, 10:39 PM

:sigh: What happened to you? Everybody used to idolize you but now. . .:(

Shortys4711
01-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Anybody talking **** about O'neal and this certain situation better do some research about the situation or STFU. O'neal has been a class act and a mentor in the locker room and nobody in the Suns fan base blames him for this. Our FO is a joke and they are running our franchise to an all time low.

x2

king4day
01-22-2013, 11:16 PM

+3
Not that anyone watches the Suns to know it but he's not the issue. It's just a messy situation.

Big Zo
01-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Was his forehead involved too?

Alayla
01-23-2013, 04:00 AM
a samey act gets stale hes past his prime but good to see he is still around

KingPosey
01-23-2013, 04:22 AM

Jesus Christ you've peaked. And I didn't think it was all that good in the first place.

dodgersuck
01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Was his forehead involved too?

:laugh:

JasonJohnHorn
01-23-2013, 10:19 PM
I can just imagine O'Neal's argument with the GM: "Look, I want to be on a winning team! I'm a 16-year veteran and I've never been to the finals. I need to win now! But here you go around signing washed up centers with bum knees like me, and how the hell am I supposed to be on a winning team when your best off-season acquisition was Michael Beasley and Jermaine O'Neal?"

I mean seriously... O'Neal is lucky to even be in the league at this point. There is no denying how much talent he had and how much potential he had, but injuries have slowed him to the point where he frankly isn't even a viable option to any legit contender. Boston took a chance on him, it didn't work out, they moved on, and O'Neal is lucky to even be signed to an NBA team right now. He signed with a losing team who was bringing in new, unproven, young talent and was losing arguably their best player in Nash and were coming off of back-to-back losing seasons. He couldn't have expected much from this season other than a pay check. And the fact that he is going on about a coaching change when he only played 32 games for this coach? I mean, you may like the guy sure, and long-time Phoenix fans have a reason to be upset that Dan Majerle was passed over, and certanly Majerle had a right to expect this opportunity, so I understand why he and the other assistant left the team, but O'Neal? He signed on for a vet min. with a lottery team.

Seems a bit odd to me.

mdm692
01-23-2013, 10:22 PM
I can just imagine O'Neal's argument with the GM: "Look, I want to be on a winning team! I'm a 16-year veteran and I've never been to the finals. I need to win now! But here you go around signing washed up centers with bum knees like me, and how the hell am I supposed to be on a winning team when your best off-season acquisition was Michael Beasley and Jermaine O'Neal?"

I mean seriously... O'Neal is lucky to even be in the league at this point. There is no denying how much talent he had and how much potential he had, but injuries have slowed him to the point where he frankly isn't even a viable option to any legit contender. Boston took a chance on him, it didn't work out, they moved on, and O'Neal is lucky to even be signed to an NBA team right now. He signed with a losing team who was bringing in new, unproven, young talent and was losing arguably their best player in Nash and were coming off of back-to-back losing seasons. He couldn't have expected much from this season other than a pay check. And the fact that he is going on about a coaching change when he only played 32 games for this coach? I mean, you may like the guy sure, and long-time Phoenix fans have a reason to be upset that Dan Majerle was passed over, and certanly Majerle had a right to expect this opportunity, so I understand why he and the other assistant left the team, but O'Neal? He signed on for a vet min. with a lottery team.

Seems a bit odd to me.

:facepalm: you have no idea what you are talking about and what is going on in Phoenix.

ThaDubs
01-23-2013, 10:26 PM

Seems a bit odd to me.

You don't know what the **** you're talking about. :facepalm:

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2013, 12:37 AM
I know O'Neal is getting paid over a million dollars to play for a lottery team, and that a guy who hasn't even been in uniform for half a season is complaining about a coaching change. Coaching changes happen. It's part of the business, and from all reports, it was a mutual parting. I don't think Gentry was any more interested in being there than they were of having him. Was the GM planning on firing him from the start of the season and brought Hunter in with the purpose of promoting him? That's what it seems like. Hunter was a smart player, and I'm sure he's got potential to be a good coach. I'm also sure that Dan Marjele was upset he was past over (which is likely why he left) and I imagine some of the players and fans took exception to the fact that a guy who was with the team as a player and assistant coach was passed over. The Suns lost two assistant coaches after Gentry and the Suns parted ways, perhaps because they were being loyal to Gentry, perhaps because they wanted the job that was given to Hunter. What part of that did I get wrong?

Bottom line, Gentry is a good coach, but it was time to move on. The Suns aren't winning games, the players aren't happy and the seats are filling up. Changes needed to be made. Some people have be alienated.

The point of my post was that it seems odd that O'Neal is taking issue with this when he signed with Phoenix, who was likely one of very few teams willing to give him a contract, knowing full well they were going to be a cellar dweller.

So please, enlighten me. What is going on in Phoenix?

mdm692
01-24-2013, 01:31 AM
I know O'Neal is getting paid over a million dollars to play for a lottery team, and that a guy who hasn't even been in uniform for half a season is complaining about a coaching change. Coaching changes happen. It's part of the business, and from all reports, it was a mutual parting. I don't think Gentry was any more interested in being there than they were of having him. Was the GM planning on firing him from the start of the season and brought Hunter in with the purpose of promoting him? That's what it seems like. Hunter was a smart player, and I'm sure he's got potential to be a good coach. I'm also sure that Dan Marjele was upset he was past over (which is likely why he left) and I imagine some of the players and fans took exception to the fact that a guy who was with the team as a player and assistant coach was passed over. The Suns lost two assistant coaches after Gentry and the Suns parted ways, perhaps because they were being loyal to Gentry, perhaps because they wanted the job that was given to Hunter. What part of that did I get wrong?

Bottom line, Gentry is a good coach, but it was time to move on. The Suns aren't winning games, the players aren't happy and the seats are filling up. Changes needed to be made. Some people have be alienated.

The point of my post was that it seems odd that O'Neal is taking issue with this when he signed with Phoenix, who was likely one of very few teams willing to give him a contract, knowing full well they were going to be a cellar dweller.

So please, enlighten me. What is going on in Phoenix?
:clap:Good job you follow Woj and Broussard(aka copy and paste) on twitter. Now do some actual research and get some more accurate information from the local media here in PHX.

Celtics33
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
The entire Sun's locker room is at a split after Gentry got let go. Dan Majerle was apparently the popular choice by the players to succeed Alvin Gentry, but the decision to hire Lindsey Hunter has questioned lead assistant Elston Turner on whether or not he will remain with the team, while Dan Majerle has already left the team. The hiring of Lindsey Hunter is not off to a good start and is already hurting the chemistry in the locker room.

Minimal
01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
This is the biggest highlight of his whole career
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw66OikTy9U

The dude should retire seriously, and if he wants to be on a contender team, he needs to deserve it.

This is a 25 Million man in the playoffs http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pr9jUGvnDaI/S9kbf8LNCBI/AAAAAAAAEpM/ECOWu8vHXdY/s1600/jermaine+o%27neal+heat+record.png