PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies trade Speights, Selby and pick to Cavs for Lauer

Gators123
01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
*Leuer

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Grizzlies trade Speights, Selby and pick to Cavs for Lauer, source said.

‏@KBergCBS

The trade saves the Grizzlies about $4M, pushing them under the tax line and eliminating financial need to move Rudy Gay this season.

GunFactor187
01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
The firesale begins.

NYKnickFanatic
01-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Is Lauer any good?

LTBaByyy
01-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Here. We. Go.

The trades begin!

Vincent33
01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
I know there is a Jon Leuer on the Cavs who has been up and down between the team and D League :shrug:

kdspurman
01-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN
Wayne Ellington also going to Cavs as part of deal. Will save Grizzlies $6 million, get them safely under tax line.

JLynn943
01-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Isn't it Leuer? I think I'd rather have Speights. He can't be making much, right?

BALLER R
01-22-2013, 10:16 AM
So this means they don't need to trade Gay this season, no?

DeeJay
01-22-2013, 10:17 AM
The Grizzlies have agreed to trade Marreese Speights, Josh Selby, Wayne Ellington and a future draft pick to the Cavs for Jon Leuer, according to various reports.

Rotoworld

kdspurman
01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
So this means they don't need to trade Gay this season, no?

That's what I'm seeing. Both Gay/Randolph are probably safe now. Might've hurt their depth in the process, but those guys are set

uprightciti
01-22-2013, 10:24 AM
nice deal for the cavs! good back up pg in selby. bad move for the grizz that move will hurt them come playoffs.

ZHawk1123
01-22-2013, 10:25 AM
I've lost track of Selby in the league... I take it he hasn't lived up to any of his potential?

Gators123
01-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Isn't it Leuer? I think I'd rather have Speights. He can't be making much, right?

Yeah :laugh2:

I copied the tweet.

mgsports
01-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Also Trade Money going back to the Memphis and have to add a Player know.

2-ONE-5
01-22-2013, 11:00 AM
wow Cavs got a pick plus 3 useful players for basically nothing, good for them. Doesnt hurt thr Grizz too mcuh althought it has to hurt their bench some right?

jmoney23
01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Will any of these guys that are going to the Cavs start in Cleveland? Will Speights take over as the starting PF/C with Andi out for the rest of the year?

HouRealCoach
01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Grizzlies just gave away their bench

sep11ie
01-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Fire Sale

ManRam
01-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I think this isn't the start of a firesale. I think this means they'll keep their "Big 4" guys now. They accomplished what they wanted financially with this trade.

1. Good trade for Cleveland. They win based on players.

On Memphis' side, they get under the tax. This means not only do they not have to pay, but they actually get money from the tax payout. Clearly this was a big time priority for them.

They just signed Bill Walker, Delonte West and Sasha Vujacic. They're not gonna see a huge dropoff in bench production with those moves. That makes the deal more palatable. They gave up a lot to get under the tax cap, but they shouldn't lose much production.

I think Leuer will produce at Speights' level relatively soon. He's got a nice game. Ellington's three point prowess is a bit overblown too.

shep33
01-22-2013, 11:22 AM
I like Speights. Very solid player. They lost some depth in this trade, but they should be okay.

ManRam
01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
The Grizzlies will reportedly sign free agents Delonte West, Bill Walker and Sasha Vujacic to free-agent contracts.
The Grizzlies just sent out three bench players in a trade with Cleveland on Tuesday morning, so this isn't a huge surprise. What is surprising is the choice of players coming in. West famously ended his tenure in Dallas on a rocky note, while Walker hasn't played in the league all season and Vujacic has been playing abroad.

rotoworld.com

So there's that...

CaptainClutch
01-22-2013, 11:33 AM
So now the rumors of Rudy Gay are going to die down.....at least the Pau talks are heating up

flclfanman
01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Epic win for the Cavs. They get young, playable guys to fill the bench and a pick (probably in the teens) in a addition to the Lotto pick they're on pace to get.

If they move Varajeo for a king's ransom they'll be like the Kings, except with a good coach a franchise PG, and no crazy *** teammates (outside of Gibson).

JasonJohnHorn
01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
WTF is Leuer? Speights is a great rebounder. A little over anxious with blocks looking at his fouls-per-blocks rate, but he works the glass. I like him. Good pick up for the Cavs to add a little depth in the front court while Anderson-V is out for the season.

If this move allows Memphis to keep Z-Bo and Gay, then it is a good move for Memphis as well. They give up a little depth, but save ten million dollars over the 2014 and 2015 season (Speights and Selby were making a combine 5 mill per year about, and Leuer's contract ends this season).

I hate to see business trades, trades based on money and not on talent, but as far these kind of trades go, Memphis didn't lose too much. Speights was a rotation player for the regular season, but he was tenth on the team in minutes played, so it's likely that come playoff time, when the rotation gets to be pretty much 8 or maybe 9 players, he wouldn't have been getting many minutes anyways, though even being 10th on the depth rotation, he was 4th on the team in rebounds, and 7th in scoring and his per36 minutes stats had him second in rebounding behind Z-bo (which is pretty good since only one active player is averaging more rebounds a game than Z-bo) and 3rd in scoring, so the Grizz may have been giving up more than it seems on the surface. Still... if it allows them to keep Z-Bo and Gay, it's a good move. The Grizz can give Speights' minutes to Hamed Haddadi... he seems like a good rebounder... see what he can do, and if he can do it for almost 3 million dollars less than Speights.

That said, I don't understand why Memphis included a first rounder in this deal?

kdspurman
01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
I think this isn't the start of a firesale. I think this means they'll keep their "Big 4" guys now. They accomplished what they wanted financially with this trade.

On Memphis' side, they get under the tax. This means not only do they not have to pay, but they actually get money from the tax payout. Clearly this was a big time priority for them.

They just signed Bill Walker, Delonte West and Sasha Vujacic. They're not gonna see a huge dropoff in bench production with those moves. That makes the deal more palatable. They gave up a lot to get under the tax cap, but they shouldn't lose much production.

I think Leuer will produce at Speights' level relatively soon. He's got a nice game. Ellington's three point prowess is a bit overblown too.

I like those additions for Memphis. they need guys who can shoot the ball

kdspurman
01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Dp

YoungOne
01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
we could have used speights... and he is very cheap aswell..

Chronz
01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
LOL Firesale? WTF are you guys talking about?

Chronz
01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Same here

None of them play PF/C like Speights did. And Speights was big for them last year but it was a move they had to make when trading Gay/Z-Bo for peanuts was unacceptable for them.

I like the additions they made on the perimeter, definitely needed shooting more than they needed bigman depth but it will hurt them in the regular season.

NJ Raven
01-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Noone is going to stop them now that they've signed the Machine.

MrfadeawayJB
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
sad to see speights go :( He was a good player for us and as someone mentioned cheap. I guess management has faith that arthur can stay healthy

COOLbeans
01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Noone is going to stop them now that they've signed the Machine.

:nod:

ManRam
01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Same here

None of them play PF/C like Speights did. And Speights was big for them last year but it was a move they had to make when trading Gay/Z-Bo for peanuts was unacceptable for them.

I like the additions they made on the perimeter, definitely needed shooting more than they needed bigman depth but it will hurt them in the regular season.

True. I realized after I made that post that they didn't get anyone who can fill Speights' shoes. As you said, they filled in those minor holes on the perimeter pretty darn well. It will be interesting how they fill Speight's role. Arthur's game isn't similar enough. I actually think Leuer can produce and has a future in this league, despite his play this year, but he's not gonna step right in and replicate that production for sure.

It's a good trade for them though. It's clear they really wanted/needed to shed salary and that's what they did, and did so without moving Gay or ZBo. They do have a hole now, but it's not as big of a hole as they would have had if they moved one of those two.

Speight's contract is relatively cheap, but 4.5 million to them right now means a world of difference.

Melo15
01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Cavs-Grizzlies trade is official. Cavs also receive future 1st round pick with protections that make it a likely lottery pick.

Much like Rockets-Raptors trade for Kyle Lowry last summer, pick Grizzlies sent Cavs is protected from 1-5 & 15-30.

-Brian Windhorst

Chronz
01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
I have always liked Speights, felt he was like a poor mans Brand with a weakness defensively but hes even worked on that, pick him up in fantasy or in NBA2K12 on MyTeam because his value is about to jump.

Hellcrooner
01-22-2013, 01:16 PM
do not like.
is darrell arthur healthy?

MrfadeawayJB
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
do not like.

yes darrell arthur has been healthy and is usually the first big off the bench. He should absorb speights mins

MrfadeawayJB
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm not seeing anywhere that the signings of Walker, West, or Vujacic has happened. Only rumored to happen. Anybody have a link of proof???

greg_ory_2005
01-22-2013, 01:30 PM
The Grizz just made their bench even more trash.

Sly Guy
01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
this was the better option than trading gay or z-bo. I don't like to see teams trade to shed salary, but if it must be done, this is probably the best for them. Good job on the cavs, capitalizing on basically free talent too.

MrfadeawayJB
01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
The Grizz just made their bench even more trash.

this may be true but with potential addition of Bill Walker, Delote West or Sasha Vujacic i feel its a more even trade. Outside shooting is a achilles heel for Memphis and this would put a dent in that problem

Melo15
01-22-2013, 01:48 PM
#Cavs trade official. Pick is protected 1-5 & 15-30 for 2015 and 2016. Top 5 protected 2017 & 2018 and unprotected in 2019.

-Jason Lloyd, Cavs Beat Writer

greg_ory_2005
01-22-2013, 01:56 PM
this may be true but with potential addition of Bill Walker, Delote West or Sasha Vujacic i feel its a more even trade. Outside shooting is a achilles heel for Memphis and this would put a dent in that problem

If they add the machine, I will take back everything I said. :drool:

MrfadeawayJB
01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
If they add the machine, I will take back everything I said. :drool:
:laugh:

Stinkyoutsider
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Ok move for the Grizz I guess? They had to shed some salary to get under the limit and they did it...

I thought Speights was a solid bench player and would have been useful for the Grizz in the playoffs? I know most coaches shorten the rotations to 8 guys so Speights would have been one of the 8.

Haven't seen too much of Leuer.

JNoel
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Wow, they should have just traded Rudy...

Vinylman
01-22-2013, 02:21 PM
is wroten ready for prime time?

MrfadeawayJB
01-22-2013, 02:25 PM
is wroten ready for prime time?

I'd like to see Wroten given a opportunity over Bayless at backup pg. Bayless is to much of a combo guard to run point effectively imo

Blitzbolt
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Love the trade as a Grizz fan I keep telling everyone we where gonna dump Speigths during all those Gay and ZBO trade rumors to get under the tax.

Speights will do well in Cle because he is a minute guy the more he gets the better he plays and he was not gonna get any with us since we have alot of good bigs.

As long as we get some solid 3 point shooters off the bench we will be ok.

Vinylman
01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Love the trade as a Grizz fan I keep telling everyone we where gonna dump Speigths during all those Gay and ZBO trade rumors to get under the tax.

Speights will do well in Cle because he is a minute guy the more he gets the better he plays and he was not gonna get any with us since we have alot of good bigs.

As long as we get some solid 3 point shooters off the bench we will be ok.

yep... i was posting the same thing...

I am sure they shopped zbo and gay but didn't like the offers... it was obvious speights would be the odd man out

The Best Around
01-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Lol wow the Cavs CLEANED UP here. Sucks for Memphis but better than trading Randolph & Gay for players not nearly as good. Cavs are doing a good job though...kind of sucks for them they didn't strike while Varejao was hot this year and he unfortunately got hurt.

CaptainClutch
01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Lol wow the Cavs CLEANED UP here. Sucks for Memphis but better than trading Randolph & Gay for players not nearly as good. Cavs are doing a good job though...kind of sucks for them they didn't strike while Varejao was hot this year and he unfortunately got hurt.

A true steal here. They are going to be good down the line. They will pile up with draft picks and building around Kyrie will be key to their success. I see them hitting that 5-8 seed in the east in another 2 years

Vinylman
01-22-2013, 02:46 PM

meh... i dont' really think so... they took the pick they got from the lakers last year... plus 3 other picks and turned it into Tyler Zeller...

not really impressed with their front office...

waiters and thompson were below average picks also...

Cleveland is going nowhere fast

Alayla
01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
OMG a trade happen ITS A MIRACLE!

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
lol cavs took advantage of the grizzlies need to reduce their payroll.

so dan gilbert isnt that dumb after all.

Il Mago50
01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Call me crazy but Memphis just became a much better team today.

They got rid of enough salary to keep their core together for at least this season while adding more of what they sorely needed to be true contenders: outside shooting.

Sasha Vujacic is a knockdown shooter and a big threat from deep.

Bill Walker has shown some ability to hit shots from deep and is still relatively young, had some big games here and there for the Knicks.

Finally, although Delonte is a headcase, the guy can score and is gritty on defense.

You just got rid of salary and added three pretty good shooters to a roster that desperately needed consistent outside shooting to supplement their greatest strength of defense and size.

HowFit
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Good move for the Cavs...

UPRock
01-22-2013, 03:21 PM
I really like this for both teams.

RenegadeRiot36
01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
meh... i dont' really think so... they took the pick they got from the lakers last year... plus 3 other picks and turned it into Tyler Zeller...

waiters and thompson were below average picks also...

Cleveland is going nowhere fast

First off, it was the pick last year and two second rounders. Out of those three picks, Dallas has gotten nothing. These days youre better off doing open tryouts than using a 2nd round pick. That pick was a huge win for the Cavs, even with Zeller playing like a ***** defensively.

Second, you obviously havent seen Thompson play this year since Varejao got hurt, have you? I was unhappy with the pick at first, but face it there arent two other players I'd rather have than Thompson at this point from that draft. Probably Faried and maybe Jonas V, but thats absolutely it. Thompson is playing like he has a very prominent future and his offensive game is just starting to get past "inept". Once he figures it out, he will be a very good player.

Third, the jury is still out with Waiters. This was another weak draft class and not much is coming out of it. That being said, Dion is easily the best scorer from that draft. This is including Lillard even though the averages disagree with me. Portland has a lot more good offensive players to stretch the floor for him to score. He is a better 3pt shooter though. Waiters is only shooting a 4% lower field goal percentage and he is often the only person on the floor that knows what a basketball is, let alone how to put it in the basket. Let me put this into perspective, he is usually on the floor with Luke Walton, Sean Livingston, Kevin Jones, and Tristan Thompson. You read that correctly, LUKE WALTON. These guys wouldnt be able to drop 10 on the cleveland YMCA, let alone score in the nba. Yet he still puts up 15 a game (20 as of late with a much better percentage). He admittedly doesnt mesh well with Kyrie, but hes got future 6th man of the year written all over him. Lets give it a year before writing him off.

Mr_Amaziing
01-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Bad move for Memphis

Chacarron
01-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Guess who just became a Grizzlies fan. The Machine is back!

Ty_Lawson
01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
No he isn't...he will stay with Efes...

Hawkeye15
01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Buys them some more time to keep reducing payroll, while not giving away any core players. They just got a little worse depth wise, but at least the core is still there.

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 10:16 PM
nice deal for the cavs! good back up pg in selby. bad move for the grizz that move will hurt them come playoffs.

Not really
Ellington is fun when he's on and painful when he's not
If it were between Speights and Darrell Arthur, it would have had to be keep Darrell
Selby is .............Selby; no contribution at all
Pretty obvious they ALSO wanted to keep Coach Hollins happy

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 10:18 PM

Whoa !!!!!!!!!!1 This time I agree with you :)

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
So now the rumors of Rudy Gay are going to die down.....at least the Pau talks are heating up

Lordy lordy !! Just when they made me feel I could make it without Rudy Gay, here they come and do all this.
So yes, leave our core of 4 alone and see what they can do.
Should be a happier clubhouse and Memphis has rehabilitated more than a few disgruntled players in our time as to Delonte :)

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 10:29 PM
sad to see speights go :( He was a good player for us and as someone mentioned cheap. I guess management has faith that arthur can stay healthy

Yep, that was my first thougt that I hated to see Mo go, but his basketball IQ isn't as high as DA; nor is his agility and versatility. And his salary was too high for a guy #10 on the chart.
Still, GOOD LUCK TO YOU, MO !!!!

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 10:32 PM
do not like.

Healthy as a horse
Playing great ball and will only get better and better

Avenged
01-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Who cares about these guys. All that matters is that the machine is coming back.

Lakers should have tried to sign him :facepalm: another one the Lakers let pass.

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 10:37 PM
I really like this for both teams.

I do, too.
Plus we weren't going to trade with any Western Conference teams...........really

Cracka2HI!
01-22-2013, 10:40 PM
It was a good move for both teams. Obviously the Cavs cleaned up, but the Grizz did what they had to do. I think it's a little weird they are signing 3 G/F types instead of replacing Speights. Is Haddadi going to play now? Is Wroten still not going to play. Wouldn't moving Bayless to the 2 be better than West of dare I say The Machine :hide:

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Guess who just became a Grizzlies fan. The Machine is back!

Welcome to Grizzland, Chacarron
:clap:

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Who cares about these guys. All that matters is that the machine is coming back.

Lakers should have tried to sign him :facepalm: another one the Lakers let pass.

I really hope he comes to Memphis; always liked him. Wasn't he good friends with Pau? maybe he'll transfer his amity to Marc

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Wow !!! Hope they all clear by Friday..doubt they'll be ready for the Lakers tomorrow

kobe4thewinbang
01-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Speights had some good games, high energy guy. Memphis will miss him, but I'm starting to think they're losing that fire they had earlier when they were beating the best teams.

mzgrizz
01-22-2013, 11:23 PM
No, actually they are just getting it back
Hope they are on fire tomorrow !!!

cle12152433
01-23-2013, 05:37 PM

waiters and thompson were below average picks also...Cleveland is going nowhere fast

Put the crack pipe down, son.

topdog
01-23-2013, 07:02 PM

You don't think Thompson and Waiters were below average picks? Thompson is meh and Waiters is a chucker. Granted they have more time to prove themselves, but I feel like you are looking at their play with homer goggles considering both picks were reaches.

Arch Stanton
01-24-2013, 11:44 PM
You don't think Thompson and Waiters were below average picks? Thompson is meh and Waiters is a chucker. Granted they have more time to prove themselves, but I feel like you are looking at their play with homer goggles considering both picks were reaches.

Thompson is looking less and less like a reach at this point. Since AV has been out he's had a PER of over 17, with something like 14 points and 12 rebounds. In a weak draft class I don't see TT as a reach at all. You could argue he may be the second best player in that class. Waiters we will see. His shot selection needs work. Still who should the Cavs had taken? Maybe Drummond? So I'm not sure how much of a reach he really was and he's a rookie.

Vinylman
01-25-2013, 12:47 AM

enjoy them... time will prove your position wrong

Schulte212
01-25-2013, 01:13 AM
enjoy them... time will prove your position wrong

This month, Thompson has been averaging nearly 15 and 12. He has improved quite significantly since his rookie year. He's been a productive player in the absence of AV. Honestly, what more do you want to see at this point in his career? Considering the draft class last year, his improvement from his rookie year, and how he has stepped up in AV's absence, its unreasonable to say he is a disappointment.

RenegadeRiot36
01-25-2013, 01:20 AM
These guys probably havent seen a Cavs game all year and are just blowing steam. Theres no point even arguing with brick walls. Notice how there isnt even any factual support either, theyre just baiting.

mzgrizz
01-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Leuer worked out tonight with Marc and Haddadi. Saw some good clips of him and I'm going to be happy to see this guy play tomorrow night. Big body with soft touch around the basket. Hmmmmmm
Might work out. He won't get Darrell's minutes though ! DA's my man !!