PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Kings to play in Seattle next season as 'Sonics'

TheMoneyTeam
01-21-2013, 08:48 PM
The new Seattle owners will bring back the franchise's longtime Sonics name and colors.

Squatch could be back next season once the Kings change to the Sonics.

Is he not the best mascot ever?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--kings-to-play-in-seattle-next-season-060233410.html

JNoel
01-21-2013, 09:03 PM
:clap: where's KingsNeverDie at? ;)

ManRam
01-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Good!

I'm hoping to move to Seattle in 2014. Them having a hoops team will make me happy. They should never be anything but the Sonics

cbs9889
01-21-2013, 09:08 PM
how does this work with all time team stats and ships because i feel like okc and the SS have combined franchise stats. i will like to say i am not clear on this so dont get mad if i am wrong

The goods
01-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Damn Seattle didn't waste any time getting a team back there congrats, now how long will it take to get a team back to Sacramento?

abe_froman
01-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Damn Seattle didn't waste any time getting a team back there congrats, now how long will it take to get a team back to Sacramento?

most likely a very long time.unless mj sells the bobcats,they'll probably have to wait for an expansion

Guppyfighter
01-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Sac will never get a team again. The next expansion will be for even bigger markets. Sorry.

BKLYNpigeon
01-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Sucks for Sacramento...

im sure the Golden State Warriors ownership is very happy. no more competition..

LTBaByyy
01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
I want to know what jerseys they use!!!

They have so many choices, or they can create a new modern look

SeekTheTruth
01-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Im happier squatch is back than anything hahaha

JLynn943
01-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Sac will never get a team again. The next expansion will be for even bigger markets. Sorry.

Sacramento will be the largest media market without a professional sports team and is the 20th largest media market in the country.

HowFit
01-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Good for Seattle...

Baller1
01-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Im happier squatch is back than anything hahaha

:nod:

Guppyfighter
01-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Sacramento will be the largest media market without a professional sports team and is the 20th largest media market in the country.

And there are bigger markets for basketball. Sacramento won't get a team in expansion.

Bulls_fan90
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
:nod:
Thunder or Sonics fan now?

KingOf215
01-21-2013, 10:10 PM
I've lived in Seattle and I sincerely hope the fans will appreciate having a basketball team now that they've had one taken away before. Quite frankly, I thought they got what they deserved when the team moved to OKC. Hope they learned their lesson.

BKLYNpigeon
01-21-2013, 10:11 PM

it doesnt really matter. NO Expansion team will ever go to Sacramento now. they'll be too afraid they might end up like the Kings again. if Norther California got another NBA Team it will be in San Jose.

Baller1
01-21-2013, 10:14 PM

Sonics fan. And a KD fan.

KingPosey
01-21-2013, 10:25 PM

Like who genius?

KingsMadness44
01-21-2013, 10:26 PM
it doesnt really matter. NO Expansion team will ever go to Sacramento now. they'll be too afraid they might end up like the Kings again. if Norther California got another NBA Team it will be in San Jose.

so why would they be afraid that they would end up like Kings again? it seems like people here forget that the Kings have the record for most consecutive sellout seasons.....the biggest downfall that the Kings had was they were bought out by terrible owners who never made an effort to make the franchise better and repeatedly shot down attempts to get a new arena built.

So this falls on the owners shoulders not the Cities. We are a GREAT basketball city and the King's were all we had and we as a city took pride in them, even if they weren't good.

JLynn943
01-21-2013, 10:59 PM

Why would they be owned by the Maloofs? (Considering that's the only thing the Kings did wrong)

tmacsc2
01-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Pretty badass news!!!

LTBaByyy
01-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Sonics vs Thunder rivalry!!!!! Better be on TNT every game

Mckphins
01-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Automatically become a contender now they are the SEATTLE SUPERSONICS

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-21-2013, 11:44 PM

Highly doubt there'll be an expansion anytime soon especially with how the divisions are set up now and everything.

Sonics vs Thunder rivalry!!!!! Better be on TNT every game

That should be their first home game. I would have to think though that Bennett won't be there especially in the stands with how much hatred there is for him up there.

Mckphins
01-22-2013, 12:49 AM
However, I will miss the Sacramento queens

*Silver&Black*
01-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Give them the 1st pick Stern so they could have an ok team when they play Thunder next year.

Avenged
01-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Good! :clap:

Sadds The Gr8
01-22-2013, 12:54 AM
nice. feel bad for Sacramento fans tho

LTBaByyy
01-22-2013, 01:12 AM
That would be so cool if Josh Smith signed there and Bledsoe got traded their because Seattle is a great city to play for if you see their other sports and have a great past (2 titles, plus the GP era, and the Allen era)

Bledsoe
Evans
Josh Smith
Thompson
Cousins

6th: Robinson

LTBaByyy
01-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Ray Allen should play his last season there when he is done with Heat

Robbw241
01-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Will Seattle area Thunder fans switch allegiances back to the Sonics?

SINCESTARBURY25
01-22-2013, 01:18 AM
I love this so much

Baller1
01-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Will Seattle area Thunder fans switch allegiances back to the Sonics?

There's close to zero Thunder fans in Seattle. But if there are any, I'm almost positive they switch back to Seattle fans.

asandhu23
01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Sacramento Kings won't ever get a team again. Not a big enough of a city.

JLynn943
01-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Sacramento Kings won't ever get a team again. Not a big enough of a city.

It's plenty big (20th largest media market in the country) and sold out 19 of 27 seasons. You're just a hater.

Sactown
01-22-2013, 01:47 AM
It's plenty big (20th largest media market in the country) and sold out 19 of 27 seasons. You're just a hater.

I'd just avoid these discussions in the main forum, there's a lot that still could go wrong for Seattle, but we'll have to wait and see what happens in the next 4 months.

THE MTL
01-22-2013, 02:01 AM
So the kings will be moved to Seattle. How does the history work? I know seattle keeps their history so the Seattle kings (or sonics) get two histories?

TheMoneyTeam
01-22-2013, 02:02 AM
The Lakers beat the Super Sonics.

:cool:

Dawgpound3
01-22-2013, 02:02 AM
I'd just avoid these discussions in the main forum, there's a lot that still could go wrong for Seattle, but we'll have to wait and see what happens in the next 4 months.

^What he said... Until the NBA approves that deal... the Kings are still in Sacramento and who knows what will happen. So until something happens, I am not catering to either side who wants Sacramento to stay and those want the Seattle Sonics to return.

Dawgpound3
01-22-2013, 02:05 AM
According to Wikipedia, it says this "Due to the settlement, items associated with the SuperSonics' history in Seattle, including trophies, banners, and retired jerseys, stayed in the city and it was placed in the Museum of History and Industry. Other items such as televisions, radios, headphones, CDs, chairs, and equipment were shipped to Oklahoma City after the Seattle Storm finished the 2008 WNBA season."

hidalgo
01-22-2013, 02:25 AM
the supersonics are back, cool

MikefromMars
01-22-2013, 02:44 AM
So the kings will be moved to Seattle. How does the history work? I know seattle keeps their history so the Seattle kings (or sonics) get two histories?

They get the SuperSonics history. The Kings and all things associated will probably belong to the city of Sacramento. The Thunder don't have any part of the Sonics' legacy. Seattle owns that. It's the same thing as the Ravens and Browns in the NFL.

Seppuku
01-22-2013, 02:55 AM
Is he not the best mascot ever?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--kings-to-play-in-seattle-next-season-060233410.html

The Sonics are bringing back the Wheedle on the Needle? If you don't remember her, look her up.

GoferKing_
01-22-2013, 03:01 AM
That would be so cool if Josh Smith signed there and Bledsoe got traded their because Seattle is a great city to play for if you see their other sports and have a great past (2 titles, plus the GP era, and the Allen era)

Bledsoe
Evans
Josh Smith
Thompson
Cousins

Mhym, no outside shooting, very poor S5, easy to defend.

Seppuku
01-22-2013, 03:03 AM

Are you kidding me? The Thunder (affectionately called the Bombers) can burn with the heat of a thousand suns. I curse their owner (lying thief!) and their fans. A kitten dies every time the Bombers score a point in the playoffs. May they never see another playoff game in franchise history. That would be justice.

asandhu23
01-22-2013, 03:07 AM

Not a hater. Sacramento's moved to back to line of cities with wishlist to own a team.

NoahH
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Give them the 1st pick Stern so they could have an ok team when they play Thunder next year.

You know itll happen lol

FWBrodie
01-22-2013, 03:54 PM

Yeah, they will. Makes too much financial sense.

NoahH
01-22-2013, 03:58 PM
When can we get a Sonics forum? :P

JiffyMix88
01-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Bledsoe
Evans
Josh Smith
Thompson
Cousins

My problem with this roster is that it's not the 1960s anymore. 3 point threats are a real need in the NBA today.

C-Dub
01-22-2013, 04:14 PM
They get the SuperSonics history. The Kings and all things associated will probably belong to the city of Sacramento. The Thunder don't have any part of the Sonics' legacy. Seattle owns that. It's the same thing as the Ravens and Browns in the NFL.

i feel like 2k has to fix their shii then. i think they got seattle and okc all under one history for some reason.. havent played in a while tho so i dont quite remember for sure. the team histories just seem like theyll be all screwed up with sac town retaining them and seattle picking up where it left off. pretty much in the end then sac town was traded for okc in the end and sac towns history jus lingers there lol.
I am sure gonna miss the kings sick jerseys tho, i got traded to them in 2k just because i love their jerseys! ha
nate robinson will surely be trying to get back in seattle, he loves his city and said he would want to play there if they got a team again. would be pretty cool if ray ray went back there too, jus dont see him wanting too since his chance of winning now is a little less than in mia

grandsalami
01-23-2013, 12:58 AM
Not so fast!

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk

Sources: “Mega-Whales” Ron Burkle and Mark Mastrov in serious talks with Sacramento http://dlvr.it/2qs0xy #PBT #NBA

https://twitter.com/search?q=Ron%20Burkle&src=typd

ztilzer31
01-23-2013, 01:06 AM
I could be wrong, but this is exactly like what happened last time with Seattle. Team was all but moved, and all of a sudden Steve Balmer came out with 250 million dollars in investors to buy part of the team to keep it in Seattle. The NBA basically allowed the NBA. If Sacramento fans think that Stern is going to step up and "save their team" then they're highly mistaken. Meanwhile the Maloffs HAVE to sell the team now. Either sell now or go bankrupt is their options, and I'd be plenty shocked if Sac town was able to get the NBA board to vote no on this at the point it's already at. There's always a chance, and I don't want to **** on anyone's hopes (or talk to much about mine), but it's highly unlikely the deal doesn't go through at this point.

NateyB24
01-23-2013, 01:12 AM
I could be wrong, but this is exactly like what happened last time with Seattle. Team was all but moved, and all of a sudden Steve Balmer came out with 250 million dollars in investors to buy part of the team to keep it in Seattle. The NBA basically allowed the NBA. If Sacramento fans think that Stern is going to step up and "save their team" then they're highly mistaken. Meanwhile the Maloffs HAVE to sell the team now. Either sell now or go bankrupt is their options, and I'd be plenty shocked if Sac town was able to get the NBA board to vote no on this at the point it's already at. There's always a chance, and I don't want to **** on anyone's hopes (or talk to much about mine), but it's highly unlikely the deal doesn't go through at this point.

Bennett already owned the team i believe but the Maloofs can't be forced to sell to a certain party so if Hansens deal gets shot down because the Sac one is equal they can always turn this into a bidding war.

YouCan'tBeatLA
01-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Not so fast!

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk

Sources: “Mega-Whales” Ron Burkle and Mark Mastrov in serious talks with Sacramento http://dlvr.it/2qs0xy #PBT #NBA

https://twitter.com/search?q=Ron%20Burkle&src=typd

Ballmer has more money than the both of them combined.

LakersIn5
01-23-2013, 11:09 AM
how does this work with all time team stats and ships because i feel like okc and the SS have combined franchise stats. i will like to say i am not clear on this so dont get mad if i am wrong

me too. so in history books which franchise drafted durant? seattle or okc? i know technically seattle drafted him but i really dont know. haha

Trueblue2
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
first weed gets legalized in washington and now the sonics are coming back... It's a good year to live in Seattle

NYKnickFanatic
01-23-2013, 01:22 PM
So, will Kings fans cheer for the Sonics? Or just not cheer for anyone?

NYKnickFanatic
01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
first weed gets legalized in washington and now the sonics are coming back... It's a good year to live in Seattle

:laugh:

NYKnickFanatic
01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
me too. so in history books which franchise drafted durant? seattle or okc? i know technically seattle drafted him but i really dont know. haha

I'm pretty sure it would be Seattle. ;) lol

knicks=love
01-23-2013, 03:12 PM
According to Wikipedia, it says this "Due to the settlement, items associated with the SuperSonics' history in Seattle, including trophies, banners, and retired jerseys, stayed in the city and it was placed in the Museum of History and Industry. Other items such as televisions, radios, headphones, CDs, chairs, and equipment were shipped to Oklahoma City after the Seattle Storm finished the 2008 WNBA season."

i read that and then stopped reading

NateyB24
01-23-2013, 03:15 PM
i read that and then stopped reading

That article is actually pretty accurate we have the trophy in a museum and the Banners and stuff are packed away some were. :laugh2: