PDA

View Full Version : Royce White HBO interview: Reveals letter sent to him by GM, and letter he sent back

spreadeagle
01-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Interesting stuff, sounds like guy has way more problems than just fear of flying.

Letter from Rockets

Here’s the excerpt of the letter.

This seems to be a good time for us to step back and think about some of the issues that we have been dealing with over the past few months. As we have told you repeatedly, our goals are for you to be fully integrated into the Team and to have a healthy and productive season, both on and off the court. We have been committed to these goals from the day we drafted you, and have acted consistently with those goals ever since. We have bent over backwards to accommodate your requests and help you meet these goals. At our meeting yesterday, I spent significant time addressing your frustrations. I would like to take this opportunity to further explain how your actions and the changing nature of your explanations for your actions has frustrated our attempts to help you meet your goals. The bottom line is that we remain willing to work with you on issues that arise from legitimate medical need, but you have to come to games, practice and everything else that you are able to do, just like any other player.

To revisit from the beginning, before we drafted you, you told us that your fear of flying was not an issue and that you were ready to be an NBA player. Shortly after we drafted you, you apologized for having to mislead us. You later indicated that you were feeling anxious about flying to the NBA’s rookie orientation program this summer. When you missed your scheduled flight, we arranged for a later flight and for Matt Brase to travel with you, working with the NBA to accommodate your concerns. Shortly after that, we informed you that we thought it would be beneficial for you to meet with Dr. Aaron Fink, a world-renowned psychiatrist, who could provide you with access to an appropriate professional in Houston to help should any situations arise. We gave you Dr. Fink’s contact information and several available times for an interview.

Letter from White to Rockets

In order for the working conditions to be safe and healthy for someone with mental illness/disability, it is the belief of the medical experts and myself credited for this document that a protocol has to be developed on how to appropriately deal with an individual in respect to mental illness(s)/disabilities from an operational and medical standpoint. A protocol will not only ensure the safe and healthy work conditions for a player like myself with mental illness, but also will lend a system of accountability for both the team and I to use to base what is the appropriate route of action.

Due to the lack of protocol regarding mental illness, this agreed upon document will serve as an addendum to insert into the medical category of the contract and team rules.

Acknowledgment: Acknowledging mental illness/disability as being in the category of medical condition.

The video feature also shows White struggling with anxiety in a number of daily situations. While driving, he admits he’s nervous because he’s afraid his fellow motorists are texting while driving. Showing off his closet, in which his jackets, shirts and shoes are precisely organized, he says that his hat collection is a particular source of stress.

“My hangers are spaced immaculately, all my suits are facing the same way,” he explains. “The item in here of all my clothes and belongings that gives the most anxiety for me is these hats. They’re easily misplaced, displaced. It’s a round shape on a square hook. Geometrically it messes with me, which is why I’m very careful when I pull them out of the closet. I don’t want to have to spend 20 minutes having to fix it. I’d prefer if you don’t [touch them].”

He opens up about his fear of flying and says that being on an airplane feels like he’s stuck inside a “steel death trap.”

“I get nervous when people talk about planes,” he says.

justinnum1
01-21-2013, 08:20 PM
He must have some serious issues to be ****ing up this opportunity.

godolphins
01-21-2013, 08:27 PM
I don't know why he decided to enter the league.

gotoHcarolina52
01-21-2013, 08:32 PM
To revisit from the beginning, before we drafted you, you told us that your fear of flying was not an issue and that you were ready to be an NBA player. Shortly after we drafted you, you apologized for having to mislead us.

Wow. Mental illness may be the cause of your fear of flying, but it does not justify lying.

pd1dish
01-21-2013, 08:33 PM
it sounds like he BS'd Houston before he was drafted. i dont blame them for being upset. ive been on their side all along and i remain on their side. White shouldnt have entered the NBA with his disorder.

yankeesown69
01-21-2013, 08:34 PM
He mislead the Rockets and does not deserve any of his contract money because he is not fulfilling the duties on his contract. He should never have entered the NBA draft if he knew his situation was this bad. Sure there needs to be equal opportunity or whatever, but theres only so much someone can do. I understand he has a mental illness and I'm not blaming him for having it or trying to look out for himself, but he should've considered these things before he entered the league.

ATX
01-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Here we go again. Just wait for the RW apologists...

lamzoka
01-21-2013, 08:43 PM
The rockets stole this pick from the knicks, they could've drafted anybody out of 87 guys who entered the draft. they ended up with him. KARMA IS A BIIAATCH.

Now for white i feel bad for the kid. He's seriously sick. And at this point i dont even think its safe to bring him in the locker.

Tmath
01-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I don't ever see him playing in this league.

He shouldn't have lied, but Houston should of done better homework. Both are at fault for putting themselves in this position.

lamzoka
01-21-2013, 08:46 PM
He mislead the Rockets and does not deserve any of his contract money because he is not fulfilling the duties on his contract. He should never have entered the NBA draft if he knew his situation was this bad. Sure there needs to be equal opportunity or whatever, but theres only so much someone can do. I understand he has a mental illness and I'm not blaming him for having it or trying to look out for himself, but he should've considered these things before he entered the league.

Well he's "suspended" without pay. It's not like he's just staying home and getting pay.

JNoel
01-21-2013, 08:52 PM
What a ****ing a-hole. He was fine for the pre-draft and the summer league/pre-season, but when it's time to actually play, he ******* out. I still don't how some of you are still defending him, he lied to the Rockets FO in saying that he can fly and then changes his tone as soon as he gets drafted. GTFO.

BKLYNpigeon
01-21-2013, 09:00 PM
I hope you're saving those checks Royce!

STA_PLAR
01-21-2013, 09:07 PM
I feel bad for this dude but with this type of disorder he needs to just care about his health.

He couldve been a solid player but he needs to worry about himself.

As for the rockets, they will live.

White is always going to look back at this and regret it. It kind of reminds me of that Aviator movie with Leo.

SeekTheTruth
01-21-2013, 09:11 PM
This makes me sick, there are a million and one people that would kill for this opportunity and if your biggest issue is which direction your ******* hats are in then you need to take a step back and look in the mirror, what are you really doing? I mean i respect mental illness but this sounds like OCD mixed with anxiety. I worry about some of the things royce does like flying and driving but it doesnt mean i shut my life off because idiot motorists make me nervous. Get off the meds or on the meds whatever works just get your head straight and play ball or go home , give the money back and stop saying look at me. He's trivializing this for people with real issues.

rapjuicer06
01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Hmmm misleading a team so they draft you is not ok. I understand the disorder, but if his disorder was as OCD/Anxiety as he's saying, he wouldn't of been able to lie about it. It caused a huge mess for him, and someone with severe anxiety wouldn't be able to deal with this mess and he'd be done with the league right now and just either go back to school or go on to a different career and try again at another time.

Someone with severe anxiety doesn't lie like he did because it would have led to an anxiety attack when it backfired on him. I smell something in the air...

Oh, and I used to back RW too

rapjuicer06
01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
This makes me sick, there are a million and one people that would kill for this opportunity and if your biggest issue is which direction your ******* hats are in then you need to take a step back and look in the mirror, what are you really doing? I mean i respect mental illness but this sounds like OCD mixed with anxiety. I worry about some of the things royce does like flying and driving but it doesnt mean i shut my life off because idiot motorists make me nervous. Get off the meds or on the meds whatever works just get your head straight and play ball or go home , give the money back and stop saying look at me. He's trivializing this for people with real issues.

He's all about the principle of the situation, but principle went out the window when he lied. His principle is gone now

kenzo400
01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't understand why he didn't just sign with some European team. I'm sure some European club would be willing to give him a million a year and he could probably have these conditions accepted.

Tmath
01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't understand why he didn't just sign with some European team. I'm sure some European club would be willing to give him a million a year and he could probably have these conditions accepted.

How's he going to get over there? by boat? :laugh2:

John Walls Era
01-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I hope hes not getting paid (probably not). Seems like he tried to BS his way into getting a larger rookie contract and getting drafted earlier.

beasted86
01-21-2013, 09:37 PM
F trying to be PC. This guy is crazy, he doesn't belong in the NBA.

spreadeagle
01-21-2013, 09:38 PM
good point lol, i dont hate flying but long overseas flights even freak me out a bit, too much water

kenzo400
01-21-2013, 11:49 PM

He can bike to Alaska and then take the ferry, and then continue biking to Europe. I imagine he would be afraid of taking a long boat ride too lol

Tmath
01-22-2013, 12:01 AM
good point lol, i dont hate flying but long overseas flights even freak me out a bit, too much water

I'm used to long flights, been doing it since I was little. Just watch movies and sleep most of the flight to keep your mind off the flying.

Stuckey#3
01-22-2013, 12:06 AM
I feel bad for White due to his condition... But he lied to get drafted.
The Rockets should void his contract and see how he fairs with an HMO or Medicaid.
Seriously think about your place of employment. If a coworker lied to get hired and then started calling off do to his mental condition how would that go? Especially if the corporation went out of their way to accommodate him? He is trying to play the system and make the system work for him.

dalton749
01-22-2013, 01:02 AM
it seems like he had a shady plan all along. he knew before coming into the league what he was going to do.
i cant stand hanging a shirt inside out or backwards either. as much as i try to fight it i have to go back and fix it but i dont expect anyone to give me special treatment

CityofTreez
01-22-2013, 01:09 AM
Really rooted for this guy, but he's been a mental headache since draft day. He needs to work on Himself, and then find a way back in the League. He was like this @ ISU too.

Sad thing, he could ball too.

Gritz
01-22-2013, 01:25 AM
He has a new thread everyday

PrettyBoyJ
01-22-2013, 01:47 AM
I support his cause. It's nice to see someone stand up for something like mental illness especially when it's over looked in this society. The fact is none of us knows what it's like to live with a mental illness and what obstacles he may face on a day to day basis. The fact that he's advocating for this just shows that this is bigger than him and his sanity can't be bought and I respect that. What is he going to profit from playing in the NBA and make millions but lose his mind in the process.

gotoHcarolina52
01-22-2013, 01:52 AM
He has a new thread everyday

Seriously. It's absolutely ridiculous how much attention this guy gets.

sep11ie
01-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Seriously. It's absolutely ridiculous how much attention this guy gets.

It's all he wanted all along.

Sactown
01-22-2013, 01:56 AM
I support his cause. It's nice to see someone stand up for something like mental illness especially when it's over looked in this society. The fact is none of us knows what it's like to live with a mental illness and what obstacles he may face on a day to day basis. The fact that he's advocating for this just shows that this is bigger than him and his sanity can't be bought and I respect that. What is he going to profit from playing in the NBA and make millions but lose his mind in the process.

The problem is, he's gone about it the completely wrong way..

LakersIn5
01-22-2013, 01:57 AM
just because i hate the rockets. go royce white!

Gritz
01-22-2013, 02:01 AM
You know what would be funny? If they did things to accommodate him and he still was a bust, lol

KingPosey
01-22-2013, 02:03 AM
Where's the only person allowed to have an opinion ChillWill? Did you see that he lied to them Will?

PrettyBoyJ
01-22-2013, 02:39 AM
The problem is, he's gone about it the completely wrong way..

All we can do is speculate and gather the little information we get from the media but we don't really know what's going on. Him being outspoken about it and taking a stance is giving us a little insight to what is going on but that's just a small piece to a bigger picture.

sunsfan88
01-22-2013, 02:46 AM
Why did he lie to get drafted? That's the biggest mistake.

He's clearly a scammer. Instead of being honest and saying that he's still afraid of flying, he told Houston that he's fine now and he's normal

Nobody can side with White.

VinceCarter
01-22-2013, 02:59 AM
He's clearly a scammer. Instead of being honest and saying that he's still afraid of flying, he told Houston that he's fine now and he's normal

Whoa, don't put words in his mouth. He didn't say anything about being cured. He just said he could fly. I'm sure he truely felt this thinking about the opportunity of playing in the NBA and putting his fear to the side. But when the time comes your disorder gets the best of you and you find yourself losing to it. I had a period of about a half year where I experienced anxiety and panic attacks and let me tell you, you may think you can do something (especially if it sounds like fun/good time) but when it comes time to do it your anxiety kicks into overdrive and crushes you.

It may not of been the smartest move to say you could fly without 100% knowing you would be able to but I can COMPLETELY understand where he was coming from!

nyyfan4life
01-22-2013, 03:23 AM
I don't understand why he revealed the letter, unless he just likes attention (negative or positive). All it does is make him look bad.

Melo15
01-22-2013, 03:52 AM
I don't understand why he revealed the letter, unless he just likes attention (negative or positive). All it does is make him look bad.

Yup, completely agree.

Hellcrooner
01-22-2013, 04:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zgQGfBOnh8

see? the solution is tehre, 30 years in advance.

raiderposting
01-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Royce white is such a troll

thenaj17
01-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Planes a steel death trap???

Give him some statistics on more likely ways to die. More people die each year of the following

Driving cars
Alcohol
Heart attacks
Cancer
Shootings

Dude wouldn't even get out of bed ever for fear of some sh-it....

ombada
01-22-2013, 08:17 AM
I love flying overseas, i do it about 2 times a year.

On topic, I think the most telling thing here is that the Rockets in the letter asked him to come to practices and games if he was capable. They are handling this just like any other ailment, which IMO is the right way to go. If he cant fly to games, they arent asking him to. Just that he do what he is capable of. The fact that he is not is the problem.

Doogolas
01-22-2013, 09:01 AM

You also don't have a debilitating mental illness. For him, this **** isn't just "oh no my hats!" It's impossible for him to function normally because of it. It'd be like if there were 22" of snow outside and you had to drive to work somehow, but not only couldn't you find a shovel, you couldn't find your hat and shoes. No ****ing way are you going to leave your house anyways. That's how bad this crap is for some people, and he seems to be one of them.

Why did he lie to get drafted? That's the biggest mistake.

Nobody can side with White.

He probably "lied" because when asked, "Hey, are you gonna be able to live your dream or is this flying thing gonna stop you?" He was super excited and thought he could just get passed it because this is playing in the NBA, something he's probably dreamed about forever. Then when it came time to get on the plane he was like, "****. I can't do this." He's a ****ing young kid, you can't expect him to be able to be that mature. Nobody is. Regardless of what issue someone has when they're asked if they will be able to fill their own dream, they're not going to be like, "Nope! No way." Even if they're lying to themselves a little, do you think it'd be that hard for him to convince himself he could do it?

And since he's not getting paid, it's basically the worst scam in history.

Patman
01-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Planes a steel death trap???

Give him some statistics on more likely ways to die. More people die each year of the following

Driving cars
Alcohol
Heart attacks
Cancer
Shootings

Dude wouldn't even get out of bed ever for fear of some sh-it....

and that matters how? I have a phobia of dogs, I can control it now, but a few years ago I change sides if I saw something bigger then a poodle. No statistic in the world about Dogs would have changed my mind. No really nice dog owner could talk it out with me.

With Anxieties and Phobias it's not about rational arguments and causes, it's totally irrational.

That said with if he lied about his anxiety before signing the contract, he has no leg to stand on, if he wants to make this a matter of principal.

bigsams50
01-22-2013, 09:39 AM

LMFAO :laugh2:

Kyben36
01-22-2013, 09:39 AM
im going to post the same thing I allways post, why does anyone give a **** about this guy, he is a nobody

Manimal
01-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Whoa, don't put words in his mouth. He didn't say anything about being cured. He just said he could fly. I'm sure he truely felt this thinking about the opportunity of playing in the NBA and putting his fear to the side. But when the time comes your disorder gets the best of you and you find yourself losing to it. I had a period of about a half year where I experienced anxiety and panic attacks and let me tell you, you may think you can do something (especially if it sounds like fun/good time) but when it comes time to do it your anxiety kicks into overdrive and crushes you.

It may not of been the smartest move to say you could fly without 100% knowing you would be able to but I can COMPLETELY understand where he was coming from!

He didn't have any problem showing for the Summer Leagues. Why did it suddenly become this big a deal when it was time to play.

Houston took a flier on this kid, and in return all they got is a wasted first round pick. Which is a huge asset.

He thinks he gonna change things for people with similar problems, but infact after this he's gonna make it nearly impossible for people suffering from any kind of issues to get any kind of chance in the league.

I don't blame him for not being able to fly and make it to games, but he shouldn't have mislead the Houston Rockets.

ZHawk1123
01-22-2013, 09:43 AM
SO tired of hearing about this doucher... He'll never play in the NBA... Not hard to figure out.

He wasn't even going to be that good anyway...

benzni
01-22-2013, 09:44 AM
what a clown. If you're scared, then get help and stop wasting peoples time.

Jetsguy
01-22-2013, 09:49 AM
I cant stand this attention whore honestly. cant wait for him to be out of the league and a nobody. Harsh but really the way I feel.

AddiX
01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately white is going to have to realize that he's the only NBA talented player in the world with this illness. This protocol he's asking for, is almost impossible to implement just for one guy. It won't happen.

I feel bad for that guy, forget the NBA, imagine living your life everyday like this.