PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Kings? Or 'Sonics?

D-Will4Prez
01-21-2013, 04:13 PM
If the Kings go to Seattle and get renamed the Sonics, what happens to the team history of the Kings? I seem to remember Seattle retaining the Sonics team history along with the name when they got moved to OKC, but what happens to the Kings? Their history get absorbed into the Sonics name?

Tmath
01-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Who cares?

Move the Clippers to Sacramento so everyone can be happy.

sep11ie
Sonkings

NYKnickFanatic
I highly doubt the 'Sonics' will ever be back, would be cool though. They will more than likely just come up with a new name.

Tmath
01-21-2013, 04:21 PM
I highly doubt the 'Sonics' will ever be back, would be cool though. They will more than likely just come up with a new name.

I doubt it, Sonics is well known brand. I don't think Seattle will be completely satisfied if they are anything other than the Sonics.

gotoHcarolina52
01-21-2013, 04:21 PM
A person familiar with the decision said that Hansen's group will buy 65 percent of the franchise, which is valued at a total price of $525 million, and move the team to Seattle and restore the SuperSonics name.
http://news.yahoo.com/maloofs-agree-sell-nbas-kings-seattle-group-155011318--spt.html

2-ONE-5
01-21-2013, 04:24 PM
they will be the Sonics, no doubt about it

asandhu23
01-21-2013, 04:27 PM

they will be back.

NYKnicksAllDay
01-21-2013, 04:30 PM

Really? I don't see any way that they don't use the Sonics name.

IgglesFanInCO
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Or more importantly what do the fans that committed to the Thunder after being Supersonics fans do?

Hellcrooner
01-21-2013, 04:35 PM
They should take sonics name and history back,

Kings name and history should be shelved until either Sacramento, Kansas City/ Omaha/ cincinnatti or Rochester is given a team, if some of those citys get a team then they bring the kings( or royals) history and name back,

Altough an interesting idea, the BEST idea would be.

seattle = Sonics.

Kings history and name = SELL TO NEW ORLEANS.

Hornets name and history= Sell to CHARLOTTE

Bobcats= to hell with that name and pathetic history.

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Huh? We own the name.

Baller1
01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Or more importantly what do the fans that committed to the Thunder after being Supersonics fans do?

Sonics fans. Easily. I'm sure everyone would agree.

Also, most fans just abandoned the NBA. Most hate the Thunder.

plastikman
01-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Seattle owns the rights to the Sonics name, it was part of the deal when they left, Clay Bennett agreed to that.

Big Zo
01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
No doubt they'll be the Sonics. I'm just wondering if they'll use a throwback uniform, or go to a completely different look.

NYKnickFanatic
01-21-2013, 04:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/maloofs-agree-sell-nbas-kings-seattle-group-155011318--spt.html

Well that's good. Would be weird to have a basketball team in Seattle, not named the Sonics.

Hellcrooner
01-21-2013, 05:01 PM
No doubt they'll be the Sonics. I'm just wondering if they'll use a throwback uniform, or go to a completely different look.

use the late 70s until early 90s ones please, and the skyline logo.

gotoHcarolina52
01-21-2013, 05:13 PM
They should use the space boner/galactic erection logo they used from 1967-1970, their original logo:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2afztaf.gif

rockbottom2010
01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
i say sonics....

Celtics33
01-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Sonics over Kings. It's a no-brainer, every fan in Seattle wants the "Sonics" back.

ztilzer31
01-21-2013, 05:20 PM
It's gonna suck that first game we play OKC, and get smacked.

At least we get a Husky alum next year.

b_russ
01-21-2013, 05:25 PM
There will be riots in the streets of Seattle if they don't change the name to Sonics.

Gritz
01-21-2013, 05:25 PM
The Losers

HoodedSB
01-21-2013, 05:27 PM

Kings name and history should be shelved until either Sacramento, Kansas City/ Omaha/ cincinnatti or Rochester is given a team, if some of those citys get a team then they bring the kings( or royals) history and name back,

seattle = Sonics.

Somebody give this man a job with the league office.

Celtics33
01-21-2013, 05:29 PM

seattle = Sonics.

+1

I'm not sure if its going to happen though, but a good idea nonetheless.

king4day
01-21-2013, 05:37 PM
I'd like to think the new owners would be willing to hang onto the Kings' history until a new Sacramento team comes along. Then let them have it back and move forward.

king4day
01-21-2013, 05:39 PM

seattle = Sonics.

Why sell the Kings' name to New Orleans?

Baller1
01-21-2013, 05:39 PM
I'd like to think the new owners would be willing to hang onto the Kings' history until a new Sacramento team comes along. Then let them have it back and move forward.

This is what I hope happens.

I Rock Shaqs
01-21-2013, 05:40 PM
The histories of the two teams is what confuses the hell out of me, like since the Thunder used to be the sonics but Seattle is getting a team back so what does that do to the Thunder since they still have the history of the Sonics with them, and now the Kings... blah blah blah. Yeah I'm lost just talking about it. :S

Hellcrooner
01-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Why sell the Kings' name to New Orleans?

1 name and history does not dissapear.

2 kings fans still have the kings to root for albeit in another city.

3 if NO continues to not work as a market, you just move them back to sac to the projected new arena.

OA SLAY
01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
The Losers

:)

samanjerry
01-21-2013, 08:29 PM
i havent watched the nba much since, Im not from seattle just a fan.
Been following thunder, they are my team but im not as invested as i was before.

Dont know for sure where my heart will go next season. I have no interest in kings franchise and dont like any of their players. its gonna be hard to make them my team again.

samanjerry
01-21-2013, 08:33 PM
if a team moves to a new location then the franchise history goes with it.

for example the boston braves moved to milwaukee then to atlanta. The history of every stop went to atlanta with the team.

redsox did not keep the history nor did the brewers.

NYKnicksAllDay
01-22-2013, 01:36 AM
I like the most recent unis they wore before they moved. I'd hope they would use those.

JeffG20
01-22-2013, 01:44 AM
1 name and history does not dissapear.

2 kings fans still have the kings to root for albeit in another city.

3 if NO continues to not work as a market, you just move them back to sac to the projected new arena.

Benson doesnt want the hornets name specifically because its not New Orleans related, Kings would not be any different.

D-Will4Prez
01-22-2013, 03:17 AM
if a team moves to a new location then the franchise history goes with it.

for example the boston braves moved to milwaukee then to atlanta. The history of every stop went to atlanta with the team.

redsox did not keep the history nor did the brewers.

Yes, but in this case, Seattle kept all the history and team name as part of the deal when the Sonics moved to OKC. I believe they will just treat the Thunder as an expansion team and their history will only be since the start of the Thunder. And I guess the Kings history will just stay put until the Kings name crops up again elsewhere, or when a new team goes to Sacramento. Just a guess.

Baller1
01-22-2013, 03:22 AM
Can a mod merge all of the Seattle/Sactown talk into one thread and sticky it for the time being? There's too many to keep up with.