PDA

View Full Version : Kings sold to Seattle ownership group

justinnum1
01-21-2013, 12:06 AM
stein
Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say

holy ****! they get to keep 35% and they make 525mil!!!!:speechless:

shen
01-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Maloofs only own some 50 something percent. Part of the 65% is coming from other minority owners. Maloofs retain nothing.

GunFactor187
01-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Maloofs = MaScums...

shen
01-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Kings deal to Seattle group still requires formal NBA ratification but Hansen group intends to file for relocation by March 1 if approved

I give less then 5% chance it does not get ratified. Stern and others want team back in Seattle to bad and want this Kings mess to be in the past to much to risk someone else not being able to close deal.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Lol Seattle was desperate. Kings aren't worth that much.

seikou8
01-21-2013, 12:14 AM
wow but good job seattle

justinnum1
01-21-2013, 12:15 AM
^yep.
ESPN sources say no agreement yet reached on remaining 35 percent of Kings shares, which are held by minority investors, NOT Maloofs

tapajafri
01-21-2013, 12:18 AM
It aint over til it's over. Kevin Johnson and Sacramento will present the NBA with a matching offer.

gotoHcarolina52
01-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Damn. I'd hate to see Sacramento lose their Kings

shen
01-21-2013, 12:19 AM
It is over. Kevin Johnson got his hail marry already, lightning will not strike twice. Welcome back Seattle Super Sonics. I look forward to the revival of the I-5 Rivalry next season.

tredigs
01-21-2013, 12:20 AM
65% 525 million? The Kings?

These buyers almost always turn around a profit in these deals, but it seems the Maloofs got away with murder if that's true.

Asik's better
01-21-2013, 12:24 AM
My Mike Bibby kings guernsey is really going to be out of date after this off season

justinnum1
01-21-2013, 12:25 AM
65% 525 million? The Kings?

These buyers almost always turn around a profit in these deals, but it seems the Maloofs got away with murder if that's true.maloofs will have to pay 75mil if the team leaves, so its more like 450mil.

TheNumber37
01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Good for Seattle.
As if Cousins wasn't depressed enough, now he has to play in the depression capital of the USA. It's gonna do wonders for his game.

justinnum1
01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
jesus!
Sources say deal calls for Maloofs to receive non-refundable $30 million from the Hansen group by Feb. 1 whether or not sale is approved

:speechless:

RipCity32
01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
The team needs to just be sold already instead of just keeping two cities desperate like this especially Sacramento whos been dealing with it for awhile now.

shen
01-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

With sale finalized, NBA's Relocation Committee will approve Kings move to Seattle for next season, sources tell Y! "Formality," source says

That's it, I am moving back to Portland before the start of next season and getting me some season tickets. Can't wait for the first game in return of the I-5 rivalry.

ThaDubs
01-21-2013, 12:35 AM
This sucks for Kings fans.
****ing Maloofs.

bholly
01-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Sorry for Kings fans, it really sucks for them, but if this is true then I'm happy overall to be getting the Sonics back.

shen
01-21-2013, 12:40 AM

As Y! reported Jan. 9, Maloofs were finalizing deal to sell to Hansen-Ballmer Seattle group. On Jan. 14th, deal points of $525M for 65%.

With sale finalized, NBA's Relocation Committee will approve Kings move to Seattle for next season, sources tell Y! "Formality," source says

JEDean89
01-21-2013, 12:45 AM
its a shame for a city to lose it's team but this is on the whole good for the nba. the kings franchise will be much more valuable as the sonics and imo sonics/thunder is greater than sonics/kings or kings/thunder. i just loved the payton kemp teams and they are an iconic nba franchise. the sonics with green and yellow colors or maybe as a rebrand the colors like the Oregon Ducks use.

shen
01-21-2013, 12:45 AM
J.A. Adande ‏@jadande

NBA source says Sacramento Kings sale to Seattle group is signed & sent to league. Maloofs will retain "small piece" of team.

No last ditch pitch by Sacramento this time.

YouCan'tBeatLA
01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Honestly, I'm not sad to see the Kings leave. IMO, having a team for a city that small + with 3 other teams in the state is pointless.

Happy for Seattle.

shen
01-21-2013, 12:52 AM
I hope Seattle plays in Portland on Christmas, Gonna be nice to see Red and Green at it again.

justinnum1
01-21-2013, 12:53 AM
woj
The $525 million price is a "valuation" on the total franchise. For 65 percent, Seattle group would pay approximately $340 million.

makes more sense

YouCan'tBeatLA
01-21-2013, 12:54 AM
I think they forgot the "." between the "2" and the "5," because that's how much the Kings are really worth.

JEDean89
01-21-2013, 12:55 AM
and if some of the other rumors are true and they have to pay 75 mil if the team leaves they would only get 265 mil, that makes sense for a 2/3rds ownership of a lowlevel nba team.

justinnum1
01-21-2013, 12:56 AM
lebron
So the Kings getting sold for 525M!! And the owners ain't making no money huh? What the hell we have a lookout for. Get the hell out of here

:laugh2:

gotoHcarolina52
01-21-2013, 12:57 AM
LeBron, I love you, but please STFU.

mjt20mik
01-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Sucks for SAC fans. SEA got their team back just like how they lost their old one.

JEDean89
01-21-2013, 01:00 AM
sac fans should become gsw fans, its not like Oakland is far from sacramento

shen
01-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Sucks for SAC fans. SEA got their team back just like how they lost their old one.

Not the same. Seattle got robbed. Sac seen this coming for years and had a chance to outbid. Not Seattle's fault if Sacramento was not as persistent and serious as they are.

metsbulls1025
01-21-2013, 01:02 AM
So when do we start the bring the Kings back thread?

mjt20mik
01-21-2013, 01:02 AM
LeBron, I love you, but please STFU.

Honestly. He doesn't know anything about the deal. Valuation of the Kings are at $525M. The Seattle based group is buying 65% of that.. so like roughly 340

mjt20mik
01-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Not the same. Seattle got robbed. Sac seen this coming for years and had a chance to outbid. Not Seattle's fault if Sacramento was not as persistent and serious as they are.

That's just being biased. Kings fans got screwed by their ownership. Maloofs had a deal in place for a new arena and backed out of it.

Last time I check you guys go screwed by your owners as well.

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Excited but bummed at the same time that we couldn't just get an expansion.

shen
01-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Honestly. He doesn't know anything about the deal. Valuation of the Kings are at $525M. The Seattle based group is buying 65% of that.. so like roughly 340

And Maloofs are selling because they broke and trying to restart family business and can no longer afford to hang onto only thing they have left.

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 01:05 AM
That's just being biased. Kings fans got screwed by their ownership. Maloofs had a deal in place for a new arena and backed out of it.

Schultz,Bennett even our higher up Government screwed us this is why i didn't blame the OKC fans for being excited but i can't stand Bennett or Schultz.

shen
01-21-2013, 01:06 AM

I was born and raised in Portland Oregon, I have been a Blazer fan since I could change channel on TV. I am not nor have I ever been a Sonics fan or supporter. Sac gave up after deal fell apart, What should have done was gotten this together to buy the team at that time. Everyone knew Maloofs would have to sell eventually, but they tell Sac no once and throw in the towel. Maloofs told Seattle group no several times but they kept pushing and talking till a deal was made.

mjt20mik
01-21-2013, 01:07 AM
And Maloofs are selling because they broke and trying to restart family business and can no longer afford to hang onto only thing they have left.

I know. Silly Bron Bron.

mjt20mik
01-21-2013, 01:08 AM
I was born and raised in Portland Oregon, I have been a Blazer fan since I could change channel on TV. I am not nor have I ever been a Sonics fan or supporter. Sac gave up after deal fell apart, What should have done was gotten this together to buy the team at that time. Everyone knew Maloofs would have to sell eventually, but they tell Sac no once and throw in the towel. Maloofs told Seattle group no several times but they kept pushing and talking till a deal was made.

They wanted to get the most out of it, but they didn't want to sell it to any SAC based group. They squeezed everything they could from the SEA investors, and chose that route.

shen
01-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Some day with any luck league will get a talent infusion and be enough competent players in league for expansion at which time I am sure Sac will be on the very very short list.

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 01:11 AM
They wanted to get the most out of it, but they didn't want to sell it to any SAC based group. They squeezed everything they could from the SEA investors, and chose that route.

Exactly like Schultz took the highest bidder and didn't care about Seattle.

Sactown
01-21-2013, 01:29 AM
It's not over lol...

TeamSeattle
01-21-2013, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure why people are so surprised by this, the Maloofs are pure gamblers and were losing interest in the Kings by the day. Oh and the Seattle group only has to pay 340 million out of the 525, so its not that bad of a deal if you ask me, welcome back.

ThaDubs
01-21-2013, 01:42 AM
sac fans should become gsw fans, its not like Oakland is far from sacramento

It's not like that.

Sactown
01-21-2013, 01:42 AM
The Maloof family that owns the Sacramento Kings has reached a purchase agreement to sell 65 percent of the franchise to a Seattle group led by Chris Hansen for $525 million, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that NBA teams were formally notified Sunday night of the deal, which still requires league approval.

Last week, Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson said he had received approval from NBA commissioner David Stern to present a counteroffer to the league from buyers who would keep the team in Sacramento.

He said the city is in a "six-week sprint" to put together a proposal for the NBA's Board of Governors to consider over a potential sale and relocation to Seattle.

The league's deadline for teams to apply for a move for the next season is March 1, though that has been extended each of the last two years for the Kings.Far from over...

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 01:44 AM
The papers have been signed though so there is no way we can be Maloofed.

YouCan'tBeatLA
01-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Far from over...

...and you're delusional.

Sactown
01-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Apparently you don't understand the words "League approval", also David Stern has said, multiple times, that if Sacramento can get a counter offer, plus a new arena deal, their offer will comply.... stop being trolls... You said it was a done deal January 5th, and you were wrong because you guys jumped the gun... I guess you didn't learn anything.

YouCan'tBeatLA
01-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Apparently you don't understand the words "League approval", also David Stern has said, multiple times, that if Sacramento can get a counter offer, plus a new arena deal, their offer will comply.... stop being trolls... You said it was a done deal January 5th, and you were wrong because you guys jumped the gun... I guess you didn't learn anything.

No-one's going to make a counter offer against billionaire Steve Ballmer. He has enough money to buy your city and still be left over with billions.

Sactown
01-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Also WOJ is the initial person to report this and this would be his 2nd time being wrong if he is as a tweet just came out saying

Maloofs have not told local minority owners of sale Which is interesting as minority owners have to be told when a sale has been made.

ThaDubs
01-21-2013, 01:57 AM
It's pretty sad to see all these Kings fans trying to convince themselves that it's not over.
It's like somebody hearing about a lost loved one.

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Also WOJ is the initial person to report this and this would be his 2nd time being wrong if he is as a tweet just came out saying

Which is interesting as minority owners have to be told when a sale has been made.

Kevin Johnson knew about the sale.

NY007
01-21-2013, 01:59 AM
If this officially goes through please tell me they will be the Seattle SuperSonics??

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:00 AM
Kevin Johnson knew about the sale.

KJ isn't a minority owner, and even if the 2nd report is wrong, the first one still applies as David Stern himself granted KJ a meeting with all the other owners, and a counter offer.. which still hasn't happened so the board won't be making a decision until KJ gets his meeting.. so yet again.. far from over.

Tmath
01-21-2013, 02:00 AM

Stern is just trying not to hurt your feelings, pretending he has the Kings fans best interest.

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Stern is just trying not to hurt your feelings, pretending he has the Kings fans best interest.

Lol because PSD's members know exactly what David Stern has been thinking ;)

Tmath
01-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Lol because PSD's members know exactly what David Stern has been thinking ;)

I have sources, just like Chris Broussard.

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:12 AM
I have sources, just like Chris Broussard.

Let me guess what you both have in common... hmmm. you're both constantly wrong? or that you both don't have real sources and you just make **** up?

bholly
01-21-2013, 02:18 AM
Sactown, chill, arguing with idiots here isn't going to make a difference to anything, regardless of what happens - if they end up staying you aren't going to feel any better because you argued about it here first, and if they end up leaving then this'll just make you feel worse. Take it easy and just hope for the best, don't bring yourself down anymore by getting into it with these guys. Best of luck.

YouCan'tBeatLA
01-21-2013, 02:19 AM
Let me guess what you both have in common... hmmm. you're both constantly wrong? or that you both don't have real sources and you just make **** up?

Haha, it turns out Mr. Confident is not so confident anymore. Your sig is pathetic, dude.

tmacsc2
01-21-2013, 02:19 AM
WHOOOO i can finally have a team to root for... oh sorry i meant to say I can finally have a team to root for AGAIN!

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:20 AM
Sactown, chill, arguing with idiots here isn't going to make a difference to anything, regardless of what happens - if they end up staying you aren't going to feel any better because you argued about it here first, and if they end up leaving then this'll just make you feel worse. Take it easy and just hope for the best, don't bring yourself down anymore by getting into it with these guys. Best of luck.
Thanks I just wish they wouldn't be ranting and raving about a new team when nothings official.. it's like damn.. it won't be approved till much later, at least wait till KJ has had his meeting with the board to be so cocky.

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:21 AM
S
Haha, it turns out Mr. Confident is not so confident anymore. Your sig is pathetic, dude.

Still pretty confident that there is a 50/50 chance they stay... have said that the whole time, and yes I like my sig

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 02:27 AM
Close to impossible to imagine the Board of Governors voting down the Kings sale that would result in the team

moving to Seattle next season.

A sale that would have sent the team to Anaheim, possibly, because there was strong resistance to a third team in the Los Angeles market. A sale that would have meant relocation to other locations that had been mentioned through the years? Maybe.

But there is nothing not to like about Seattle as a destination for a team. Corporate backing at an international level, population base, history as a sports market, owners that by all appearances have very deep pockets, a new arena planned -- the Emerald City checks all the boxes.

http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/09eeebcb-37fb-4c0f-b98d-1050ac52007d/?source=twitter

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:29 AM
http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/09eeebcb-37fb-4c0f-b98d-1050ac52007d/?source=twitter
Same thing was said about LA at the time and same with VB.. It would also be hard for the board to turn down an offer counter offer from sac with an arena deal..

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 02:32 AM
With the finalization of the sale of the Sacramento Kings to a Seattle-based ownership group, the NBA's relocation committee will unanimously ratify the franchise's move to Seattle for the 2013-14 season, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The new ownership group, led by Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, will pay purchase 65 percent of the Kings at a franchise valuation of $525 million. The new owners will file for relocation to Seattle before the March 1 deadline, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Seattle group's plan is to play the next two seasons in KeyArena before moving into a new $500 million arena in downtown Seattle in 2015, sources said.

The new Seattle owner's will bring back the franchise's longtime Sonics name and colors.

Yahoo! Sports reported on Jan. 9 that the Maloof family was finalizing a deal with the Hansen-Ballmer group to sell the franchise, and ultimately relocate it to Seattle. A formal announcement is expected this week, sources said.

The relocation committee has been briefed several times on the sale process to the Hansen-Ballmer group, sources said, and fully support the the franchise moving to Seattle for next season.

The relocation committee is chaired by Oklahoma City Thunder owner Clay Bennett, and includes Washington's Ted Leonsis, Minnesota's Glen Taylor, Utah's Greg Miller, Miami's Mickey Arison, Indiana's Herb Simon and San Antonio's Peter Holt. Bennett moved the Sonics from Seattle to Oklahoma City in 2008.

The NBA's Board of Governors support this ownership group, want a team back in the Seattle market and will approve the sale at the next league meeting, sources said.

While NBA commissioner David Stern did work dutifully to find a way to keep the Kings in Sacramento for several years, the league was pushing the Maloofs family to sell their 53 percent ownership share, and wanted badly for them to exit the league as owners, sources said. The Seattle is purchasing the Maloof's portion of the franchise and a 12 percent share from minority owner Bob Hernreich.

Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson issued a statement on Sunday night promising to fight to keep the franchise, but sources said the Maloofs reached an agreement in principle to sell the team over the weekend of Jan. 4-6, and that the pushes by potential local ownership groups in Sacramento were too late.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--kings-to-play-in-seattle-next-season-060233410.html

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:36 AM
Seeing reports that Sacramento was "too late." Those reports are uninformed or misguided. SAC is comfortably operating..

YouCan'tBeatLA
01-21-2013, 02:38 AM

Who said that?

JLynn943
**** the Maloofs. I hope they enjoy rotting in hell where they belong.

GrandDaddyPurp

Who are you quoting

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:39 AM
Sorry lol Aaron Bruski of NBC sports.

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:42 AM
There was a rush to judgment to call SEA the winner. PBT's report shines more light on the fact this is not a done deal.
More from AARON BRUSKI!

Looks like Chris Daniels and Woj jumped the gun again

asandhu23
01-21-2013, 02:42 AM
How in the world is 65 percent of the Kings worth more than whole of the Warriors?

YouCan'tBeatLA
01-21-2013, 02:45 AM
More from AARON BRUSKI!

Looks like Chris Daniels and Woj jumped the gun again

Yeah, I think I'm going to trust Woj more...

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Yeah, I think I'm going to trust Woj more...

funny Aaron Bruski was right the first time and Woj was wrong....
But please, believe what you will.

Sactown
01-21-2013, 02:50 AM
@kimaniWdavid @aaronbruski I am not dismissing what Aaron says. I have been writing for over a week there is reason for optimism. --->
Scott Howard Cooper wrote this, he was the one to write that it was pretty much a done deal and the board would easily approve it.

YouCan'tBeatLA
01-21-2013, 02:50 AM

Wrong about what? AFAIK, all he said was that they were getting close to a deal on Jan. 9, nothing official.

Gritz
01-21-2013, 02:53 AM
To Catch a Predator BLOOD

Hulk6
01-21-2013, 02:58 AM
When will I be able to buy a cousins sonics jersey

Hulk6
01-21-2013, 02:58 AM
My childhood is back :)

shen
01-21-2013, 03:01 AM

Except Woj wasn't wrong. Deal was being worked on when he said it was. Deal was agreed to around the 14th. Now just waiting for rubber stamp from the board. Sac has less then 5% chance at best of even making the board think about it.

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 03:09 AM
Except Woj wasn't wrong. Deal was being worked on when he said it was. Deal was agreed to around the 14th. Now just waiting for rubber stamp from the board. Sac has less then 5% chance at best of even making the board think about it.

Yea i have no reason not to believe Woj now he even was right about the papers being signed.

Gritz
01-21-2013, 03:11 AM
Bring back the thread dedicated to Stern

shen
01-21-2013, 03:13 AM
Now lets move Jazz to Pacific and Sonics to NW (they would be the most NW of any team in league after all). While we are at it lets put Griz in the East where they belong. Know what lets just completely realign because as someone with OCD current structure gets me a bit, though WAY better then NFL.

JLynn943
01-21-2013, 03:17 AM
Now lets move Jazz to Pacific and Sonics to NW (they would be the most NW of any team in league after all). While we are at it lets put Griz in the East where they belong. Know what lets just completely realign because as someone with OCD current structure gets me a bit, though WAY better then NFL.

Should have just added 2 teams in the west (Seattle/Sacramento and probably Vegas) and moved the Grizzlies and New Orleans east.

shen
01-21-2013, 03:20 AM
Aside from NW and the Griz the NBA is pretty good about division alignment. Unlike the NFL who has teams in West divisions that are further east then a team in an eastern division. NFL alignment is complete joke outside of AFC East and both NFC/AFC North.

ccg34
01-21-2013, 03:48 AM
Seattle Suuupersonics! Fire smart and hire McMillan. Build around cousins, Thomas, and Robinson. These should be the next steps.

JNoel
01-21-2013, 03:51 AM
Welcome back to Seattle, Aaron brooks and Isaiah Thomas. Hire Nate McMillan as coach too. The kings roster needs to be cleaned out. Trade everyone except cousins, Thomas, and Robinson.

Are you kidding? Those guys are supposedly good yet the Kings suck? Trade them for one with potential or some draft picks and you have yourself basically a new team that you can build from the ground up. This current team's culture is just terrible and needs to be shaken up imo.

ccg34
01-21-2013, 03:53 AM
I think cousins is a player you can build your team around.

bullocks
01-21-2013, 04:02 AM
Cali has too many teams. Great sell!

bullocks
01-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Btw Sonics use to be my favorite team might go back to them :P

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Y! Sources: To overhaul Kings organization, new Seattle group has discussed targeting Spurs' R.C. Buford, Larry Bird. http://tinyurl.com/alaqrqr

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/293264532565024768

asandhu23
01-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Cali has too many teams. Great sell!

Yeah. When Kings moved here in 85, they kind of were the oddball team. It used to be San Francisco / Oakland Warriors, LA Lakers and San Diego Clippers. Sacramento is too small of a city.

ChicagoFan4Eva
01-21-2013, 05:07 AM
Wait so is it going to be Seattle Kings or Supersonics?

tmacsc2
01-21-2013, 05:25 AM
Supersonics for sure!

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Wait so is it going to be Seattle Kings or Supersonics?

Supersonics we got to keep our name and the history is shared.

romeoluvcasanov
01-21-2013, 05:32 AM
Why wouldn't the NBA want to get back in a major media market? Or add one of the richest ownership groups to the game? Or have a brand new arena and get rid of the Maloofs? Or redeem the wrong of moving to OKC? Even if Sacramento matched, Seattle is getting the SuperKings and only Kings fans who are in denial disagree.

Cromedome
01-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Epic first post

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-21-2013, 09:33 AM
The Seattle Supersonics should have never left. No offense to the OKC Thunder who are a bright and great team going forward but this is something that I'm glad is happening. Seattle is a great basketball town. Hopefully this goes through without any hiccups.

JLynn943
01-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Yeah. When Kings moved here in 85, they kind of were the oddball team. It used to be San Francisco / Oakland Warriors, LA Lakers and San Diego Clippers. Sacramento is too small of a city.

20th largest media market in the country. That makes it bigger than a bunch of other nba cities.

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
BREAKING: Maloof Family releases statement confirming sale of controlling interest in Kings to Chris Hansen of Seattle.

https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/293377555367612416

To those that don't want to believe the Yahoo guy this is straight from the Maloofs.

bucketss
01-21-2013, 11:29 AM
so if this goes down are kings fans still gonna support this team?

neovenator250
01-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Great for Seattle to get a team back. Not the same since the team you lost had Kevin Durant, but it is what it is.

KingsPhillies
01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
The deal is not done. The offer has been accepted by the Maloofs, nothing more. Anyone with half a brain knew this was going to happen soon, even before Sacramento had time to get their proposal in order. Everything is still pending BoG approval, and Sacramento still has a chance(and I will believe that until Stern or KJ say otherwise). Woj is a good reporter, but he can neither tell the future, nor does he speak for the NBA or its owners. I know he's just reporting what he hears from reliable sources, but people are starting to count their chickens before they hatch. Anyone remember Anaheim?

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
The deal is not done. The offer has been accepted by the Maloofs, nothing more. Anyone with half a brain knew this was going to happen soon, even before Sacramento had time to get their proposal in order. Everything is still pending BoG approval, and Sacramento still has a chance(and I will believe that until Stern or KJ say otherwise). Woj is a good reporter, but he can neither tell the future, nor does he speak for the NBA or its owners. I know he's just reporting what he hears from reliable sources, but people are starting to count their chickens before they hatch. Anyone remember Anaheim?

Yea but the Lakers and Clippers did not want this to happen nobody blocking a Seattle move.

KingsPhillies
01-21-2013, 12:29 PM

I think I speak for most Kings fans when I say this: If the NBA drags us through this B.S., giving us hope, only to rip the team from us when we've done EVERYTHING they've asked of us(finding local owners, getting a funded arena plan in place, showing up in droves at relevant meetings)...then the entire NBA can go **** themselves!

The Kings will no longer exist, so why should I root for a team to which I no longer have any ties? Sure, the players would be the same, but it would still make me sick to even see it. It'd be like cheering on some dude while he bangs my ex-wife.

edit: I would also like to add the fact that local investors have been inquiring about the availability of the team for YEARS, only to receive the same answer ad nauseam about the team not being for sale, and how it never will be for sale. And then, out of the blue, they cut a back-room deal with another city? We were NEVER give a single chance to try to purchase and keep the team here in Sacramento, which was(and still is) 100% possible and viable. It was always an option, and they insisted on turning their noses up at it. They're setting a dangerous precedent in the NBA with this deal. And if this is how they're going to do business, then I for one want no part in it. I'll spend my time and money elsewhere, thank you very much.

JLynn943
01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/293377555367612416

To those that don't want to believe the Yahoo guy this is straight from the Maloofs.

I really don't think that the Maloofs selling to Seattle was ever in question. They hate KJ for forcing them to reveal themselves for the double-crossing pieces of **** that they are, and they seem to have a vendetta against the city of Sacramento despite everything being their fault.

Sacramento's hopes have always rested in the ability of KJ to get a local ownership group together with an arena deal and present that to the NBA. The NBA has final say, so even though it doesn't look good, it isn't over yet.

Not sure what I'm going to do. If the Kings were moving to a city that didn't already have a team with its own history and fanbase, I'd stay with them. But, it doesn't feel right being a fan of Seattle. It's a totally different franchise just like any other franchise in the NBA. It'd be like randomly deciding to switch to being a Bucks fan or something. Also, it's not a popular opinion, but I don't respect when people only like a team because they're local. Basically, every "new" fan will be because of that. My philosophy is that there is a right team for everybody. It could be the local team, or it could be thousands of miles away like the Kings are for me. Regardless though, I'm attached to the Kings and will need to seriously think about if I want to even be a fan of a team at all anymore. I've had secondary teams in the past (76ers were the first team I liked because of Iverson), but the connection isn't the same.

KingsPhillies
01-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Yea but the Lakers and Clippers did not want this to happen nobody blocking a Seattle move.

That's a pretty bold assumption to make. No one on here has any idea the opinions of every single NBA owner. Just because someone isn't actively blocking the deal doesn't mean it's 100% certain that this has the full backing of the BoG.

JLynn943
01-21-2013, 12:43 PM

Cuban supposedly was against it last time, too.

mgsports
01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
So if St. Louis or Tampa Bay or KC came in with a Good offer the NBA would listen.

Northeast Nets/Knicks/Celtics/Raptors
Altantic 76ERS/Wizards/Bobcats
Centraleast Indiana/Detroit/Cavs
Southeast Pelicans/Magic/Heat/Hawks

Central Bulls/Bucks/Minnesota
Midwest OKC/Denver/Memphis
Texas Dallas/Houston/Spurs
West Portland/Seattle/Utah/Suns
California Lakers/Clippers/Warriors

Vincent33
01-21-2013, 01:16 PM
**** the Maloofs. Ruined that franchise.

torocan
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Assuming this happens (which it's increasingly looking like it might), I feel very happy for the Seattle fans, and very bad for the Kings fans.

Seattle never deserved to lose the Sonics, and Sacramento never deserved owners like the Maloofs.

It's just a cluster for both cities in terms of how they lost their franchises, and it's unfortunate that the Sacramento fans are just getting the perpetual shaft from the Maloofs year in and year out.

I don't blame OKC or Seattle for fighting for a NBA team. I blame the previous ownership groups for throwing their cities and fan bases under the bus.

todu82
01-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Great to see Seattle possibly getting their team back.

lol, please
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
wow!!! I can't believe this!!! This is the problem with sports being a business, I have always said that the fans are at the expense of the franchises business interests and it's not right. Too many emotions and family traditions laced with sports franchises to just up and move them when it's profitable to do so.

That being said, the real tragedy here as a non fan for me is having to associate sfgiants5518 with the general trash that is the Seattle fanbase. :pity:

BigDFan85
01-21-2013, 02:15 PM
stein

holy ****! they get to keep 35% and they make 525mil!!!!:speechless:

Chris Hansen, the 'To Catch a Predator' guy?

Baller1
01-21-2013, 02:17 PM
I can't believe some of you are thinking the precedent is being set in the NBA with this news. The precedent was set 5 years ago when Clay Bennett stole the Sonics.

If you're surprised by the NBA allowing the Seattle investors to buy the Kings and move them to Seattle, then you were completely oblivious to what happened half a decade ago.

ztilzer31
01-21-2013, 02:31 PM
I can't believe some of you are thinking the precedent is being set in the NBA with this news. The precedent was set 5 years ago when Clay Bennett stole the Sonics.

If you're surprised by the NBA allowing the Seattle investors to buy the Kings and move them to Seattle, then you were completely oblivious to what happened half a decade ago.

Seriously the only 2 owners that voted no on moving the Sonics were Marc Cuban (coolest owner ever) and Paul Allen... The guy who owns the Seahawks. And we had proof that Clay had bought the team with every intention of moving it, even though he pretended otherwise.

I feel bad for Sac fans. Especially since the closest they got to the title was a series they got robbed in, and if I had my way we'd get an expansion team, but considering fans already complain there are too many teams... Highly doubtful.

ztilzer31
01-21-2013, 02:35 PM
wow!!! I can't believe this!!! This is the problem with sports being a business, I have always said that the fans are at the expense of the franchises business interests and it's not right. Too many emotions and family traditions laced with sports franchises to just up and move them when it's profitable to do so.

That being said, the real tragedy here as a non fan for me is having to associate sfgiants5518 with the general trash that is the Seattle fanbase. :pity:

Haven't like 8 people died in San Fran sports games in the last 2 years?

Lol I guess I'll take my "trash" fan base over yours any day.

Baller1
01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/pages/bring_em_home.html

This site compiled all of the statements from Hansen, the Maloofs, and the NBA. This is a done deal, sorry Sactown fans.

Jazzman707
01-21-2013, 03:48 PM
People always say that Sacramento is obsessed with its Kings. I lived there for several years in the 2000s and still drive up there from the Bay Area regularly for work, and let me tell you, the love affair is grossly overstated, thanks in no small part to its overzealous media. The Kings have a legion of great fans that sell out that arena quite frequently, but in the grand scheme of things, most people in that recession-ravaged area don't give two farts about the Kings.

Hell, for all intents and purposes, Sacramento is becoming an exurb of the Bay Area anyway. Sure it's the 20th largest media market (and not much smaller than Seattle), but thousands of people commute down to the Bay Area every day. The sad reality is, the NBA doesn't need Sacramento the way it needs Seattle. Northern California already has a stable NBA franchise with a decent arena now, plans for a state-of-the-art replacement, rock-solid ownership devoted to the local economy, and last but certainly not least, a vastly improved product on the court.

I have to give mad respect to Kevin Johnson though. He's fighting this til the last when he could've easily thrown in the towel many months ago. He almost singlehandedly kept the Kings in Sac two years longer than they should've been, fully exposing the Magoofs as the cretins they are.

I feel horrible for the loyal longtime supporters of the Kings, and relieved that a deserving fanbase like Seattle's is getting back its Sonics. Beware though... you're getting a very, VERY bad team.

plastikman
01-21-2013, 04:21 PM
As a long time Sonics fan and Season Ticket holder until the day they left, I just want to say I feel for the Kings fans, we went though it here and it's not fun. I will not be a Season Ticket Holder again and I highly doubt I will ever attend a NBA game, ever again. They might move here and call them the Seattle Supersonics, but that team is actually in OKC, it will never be the same.

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 04:35 PM
JUST IN: Chris Hansen and Seattle Center already working to prepare Key Arena for team this fall.

https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/293452548680081409

Chris Hansen sure seems confident.

The_Jamal
01-21-2013, 05:09 PM

NBA hasn't allowed anything yet. We were all expecting this to go public at some point. It's always been about the BoG meeting from the beginning of this mess. I'll wait until that happens before declaring the team gone

ztilzer31
01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
People always say that Sacramento is obsessed with its Kings. I lived there for several years in the 2000s and still drive up there from the Bay Area regularly for work, and let me tell you, the love affair is grossly overstated, thanks in no small part to its overzealous media. The Kings have a legion of great fans that sell out that arena quite frequently, but in the grand scheme of things, most people in that recession-ravaged area don't give two farts about the Kings.

Hell, for all intents and purposes, Sacramento is becoming an exurb of the Bay Area anyway. Sure it's the 20th largest media market (and not much smaller than Seattle), but thousands of people commute down to the Bay Area every day. The sad reality is, the NBA doesn't need Sacramento the way it needs Seattle. Northern California already has a stable NBA franchise with a decent arena now, plans for a state-of-the-art replacement, rock-solid ownership devoted to the local economy, and last but certainly not least, a vastly improved product on the court.

I have to give mad respect to Kevin Johnson though. He's fighting this til the last when he could've easily thrown in the towel many months ago. He almost singlehandedly kept the Kings in Sac two years longer than they should've been, fully exposing the Magoofs as the cretins they are.

I feel horrible for the loyal longtime supporters of the Kings, and relieved that a deserving fanbase like Seattle's is getting back its Sonics. Beware though... you're getting a very, VERY bad team.

Good post.

abe_froman
01-21-2013, 08:38 PM
sucks for the people of sac town,i feel for you guys=( ...but happy for seattle.as for the bog thing-they'll approve ,no doubt,there's no reason not to.i guess its good to hope but the bog are businessmen and have little caring for plight of fanbases(or they'd never approve a move),they almost always rubber stamp these things.so while i get the king's fans hoping for something,it looks kind of over now.

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/pages/bring_em_home.html

This site compiled all of the statements from Hansen, the Maloofs, and the NBA. This is a done deal, sorry Sactown fans.
i have a question for you.are you going to ride out the rest of the year with the thunder or are you going to hop on the kings right away?

TheSource
01-21-2013, 08:46 PM
i have a question for you.are you going to ride out the rest of the year with the thunder or are you going to hop on the kings right away?

The team is not actually changing this season, it'll be around 2015 when everything's said and done.

abe_froman
01-21-2013, 08:58 PM
The team is not actually changing this season, it'll be around 2015 when everything's said and done.

i know that(though they say they're moving here in time for the '14 season),but since they will be in a year i was wondering how ex sonic fans will deal with it.will they start following the soon to be sonics now or wait til they're relocated

NateyB24
01-21-2013, 09:11 PM
i know that(though they say they're moving here in time for the '14 season),but since they will be in a year i was wondering how ex sonic fans will deal with it.will they start following the soon to be sonics now or wait til they're relocated

I don't really watch the NBA unless its the playoffs i may start following what the Kings do in the draft if it looks like the sale will go through.

Baller1
01-21-2013, 09:37 PM
sucks for the people of sac town,i feel for you guys=( ...but happy for seattle.as for the bog thing-they'll approve ,no doubt,there's no reason not to.i guess its good to hope but the bog are businessmen and have little caring for plight of fanbases(or they'd never approve a move),they almost always rubber stamp these things.so while i get the king's fans hoping for something,it looks kind of over now.

I'll root for OKC to win because I want Durant to continue to build his legacy. So I'll be rooting for him to win, get the scoring title, get MVP, etc.

But I'll also start trying to pay more attention to the Kings so I start to develop a fanhood for the players, coaches, personnel, etc. So for the time being, I'm an NBA fan rooting for two teams.

HowFit
01-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Congrats Seattle!

GrandDaddyPurp
01-21-2013, 10:01 PM
You Seattle fans can stay on the Kings bandwagon when Pimp, Gangsta, and Mayor Kevin Johnson saves the team once again.