PDA

View Full Version : Houston and Zach Randolph?!

torocan
01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

Source says that the Memphis Grizzlies may keep Rudy Gay, and instead trade Zach Randolph to the Houston Rockets. Houston loves Randolph.

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

Now THERE is an interesting development.

Harden, Asik, Parsons, Lin and ZBO.

That's crazy if Morey pulls that off...

BALLER R
01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
What would be rockets offer?

ManRam
01-20-2013, 10:55 AM

I still think Gay is the guy to move, but Houston has a lot of decent young pieces...they could be a good trade partner.

HouRealCoach
01-20-2013, 11:04 AM
That is stupid... If Memphis trade Z Bo then they are just another first round exit

Mcdoh
01-20-2013, 11:15 AM
it would be great for houston they manage not to include either parsons, lin or asik on that trade..

Stunner
01-20-2013, 11:20 AM
A 1st http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bk7gfkq

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-20-2013, 11:26 AM
That is stupid... If Memphis trade Z Bo then they are just another first round exit

I agree. Rudy Gay should be the first to go.

Yunqn
01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Zbo is seriously a beast .. houston better get rid of their system if they bring him in.. Zbo & asik would be another tandem thats too much body down low for other teams..

I think mchale needs to change that style or leave .. Houston has the pieces if zbo comes with out trading harden,asik,lin & parsons to make a 2nd round push ..

Gators123
01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Meh. Alex Kennedy.

mzgrizz
01-20-2013, 11:39 AM

That's crazy if Pera wants to trade with a divisional rival.............yeah, riiiiiiiight

torocan
01-20-2013, 11:43 AM
That's crazy if Pera wants to trade with a divisional rival.............yeah, riiiiiiiight

I've learned never to underestimate the bizarre decisions of FO's around the NBA...

mzgrizz
01-20-2013, 11:48 AM
I've learned never to underestimate the bizarre decisions of FO's around the NBA...

HAHAHAHAHAH You are right about that,sir !! But Mr Young Geek near billionaire Pera and his henchmen Levien and Hollinger need to understand Memphis. If they haven't understood how Memphis and Zbo feel about themselves yet, they are plain stoopid.

GiantsSwaGG
01-20-2013, 12:06 PM
This would be a good trade... They stink right now and they need a legit PF

emman03
01-20-2013, 12:17 PM
I think it's right ZBo first before gay i mean is speights is a decent pf to replace ZBo they can have speights/arthur combo in pf but they will miss the ZBo beast mode but if they trade gay who can replace him??? getting another sf in a trade?? i dont think so and then they have shot to get like milsap in chip in free agent than ZBo salary

for the rockets

asik
zbo
parson
harden
lin

is decent and they will be more dangerous if they get atleast a defensive sf that can give kd's melo's and lebron's type a difficult game cause we all know harden and the addition of ZBo will make a damage in scoring
a tmac yao smaller version

xxplayerxx23
01-20-2013, 12:31 PM
What would they give up? Patterson+ a 1st? Throw Royce white in :laugh2:

JNoel
01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Royce White alone would probably be the deal breaker.

torocan
01-20-2013, 01:21 PM

Most likely it would involve some combination of Delfino or Douglas, Morris and/or Patterson, Donatas Montejunas or Terence Jones, and Cole Aldrich.

Houston has $7M in cap space right now and plenty of expirings, so they only need to come up with $9m-$11m in salaries to make it work.

That's assuming they don't involve a 3rd team for some picks or other players.

Chronz
01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Bizarre? LOL are you the one paying the bills?

KniCks4LiFe
01-20-2013, 03:59 PM
A 1st http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bk7gfkq

who they boozin' ? that's a heist if that happens.

KniCks4LiFe
01-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Lin, Harden, Parson (or SF), ZBo, Asik.... nah chill. That ain't happening. pnr w/ Harden Lin and ZBo would be a killer. Not to mention his post up ability. I call bulls___

Chronz
01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
who they boozin' ? that's a heist if that happens.

Rox have put themselves in a unique position, they are the only team that can absorb a huge chunk of salary to provide instant financial savings. This is the kind of deal Memphis makes if they cant find someone to take Gay.

If Im Houston tho, I think twice before accepting (if offered). Id rather absorb Josh Smith for the same deal because you retain your flexibility.

KnicksorBust
01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
McHale working with Zbo would be interesting to see. He's only 31. I love the move for Houston. Overnight they'd fill the biggest hole on their roster.

KniCks4LiFe
01-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Rox have put themselves in a unique position, they are the only team that can absorb a huge chunk of salary to provide instant financial savings. This is the kind of deal Memphis makes if they cant find someone to take Gay.

If Im Houston tho, I think twice before accepting (if offered). Id rather absorb Josh Smith for the same deal because you retain your flexibility.

I would but I also remember that ZBo is a playoff vet. And a go to guy.

Chronz
01-20-2013, 04:14 PM
McHale working with Zbo would be interesting to see. He's only 31. I love the move for Houston. Overnight they'd fill the biggest hole on their roster.

Your prolly right, I dont know why I cant shake him being overrated.

KniCks4LiFe
01-20-2013, 04:18 PM

I have the same issue, but watching him in the playoffs or a tight game when it's on, ZBo can make you believe. When he's not in those types of games he can piss you off.

king4day
01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Houston would have to give up a TON to get Randolph. Rockets will lose a lot of their core young pieces to get him. Despite trying to move big salary, I think Memphis front office is smart enough to know that Randolph has major value.

Chronz
01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Houston would have to give up a TON to get Randolph. Rockets will lose a lot of their core young pieces to get him. Despite trying to move big salary, I think Memphis front office is smart enough to know that Randolph has major value.
Yea I dont think the Rox have the pieces to get him without sending out some prospects but consider how hes moved around over the years for pennies on the dollar, I knows hes had an image rehab but he is getting older and his production isnt what it once was. But hes still an All-Star caliber PF so I can see your point

KnicksorBust
01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Probably because his effeciency was so poor and his teams were so chaotic. :)

I saw it first-hand with the Knicks. However, that was playing with Eddy Curry. I'm willing to admit there is potential for change here and in the right environment he did amazing things with the Grizzlies two years ago. Omer Asik won't be as good as Marc Gasol but it's still a great fit.

kenzo400
01-20-2013, 04:37 PM
This writer did tweet "Pierce for Gay? Makes a lot of sense" so don't take anything he says too seriously.

mzgrizz
01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
ZBo won't be the one to go.

THE MTL
01-20-2013, 04:49 PM
If Houston can manage: Lin-Harden-Parsons-Randolph-Asik starting lineup that would be NASTY!

BALLER R
01-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Why not see how the season plays out then make moves in the off season if your Memphis

Verbal Christ
01-20-2013, 04:54 PM
why would anyone have to give up a 'ton' to get randolph? look at the dwight deal, was that a 'ton'? and that was for the most coveted player available.

memphis wants to shed salary. hollinger wants to start putting his thumbprint on the team. team as constructed isnt a championship contender. roll the dice. free up cap and hope to remain competitive enough to lure a tier 1 player.

houston gets immediate help with leadership and post scoring. two of the top rebounding front court players. 2 elite level LEFT handed players on the court at the same time. the ability to run and play half court. randolph's contract is 3 years. expires righ around the same time that lin/asik and some other guys. it means morey thinks that would be the piece that could propel the rockets into contending status. in the short term it would provide a go to guy when the going gets tough because this steam is stinking up the joint right now.

marcus morris/donatas montijunas/1st round pick for zach randolph sounds fair.

sunsfan88
01-20-2013, 04:55 PM
it would be great for houston they manage not to include either parsons, lin or asik on that trade..
That would be dumb to trade Harden for him. Houston isn't going anywhere without Harden.

ramz.n
01-20-2013, 05:02 PM
trade could have potential..a deal around royce white and patterson ++ for zbo

bougiemon 7
01-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Morey would save his job for sure if he gets Randolph!

mzgrizz
01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
why would anyone have to give up a 'ton' to get randolph? look at the dwight deal, was that a 'ton'? and that was for the most coveted player available.

memphis wants to shed salary. hollinger wants to start putting his thumbprint on the team. team as constructed isnt a championship contender. roll the dice. free up cap and hope to remain competitive enough to lure a tier 1 player.

houston gets immediate help with leadership and post scoring. two of the top rebounding front court players. 2 elite level LEFT handed players on the court at the same time. the ability to run and play half court. randolph's contract is 3 years. expires righ around the same time that lin/asik and some other guys. it means morey thinks that would be the piece that could propel the rockets into contending status. in the short term it would provide a go to guy when the going gets tough because this steam is stinking up the joint right now.

marcus morris/donatas montijunas/1st round pick for zach randolph sounds fair.

Fair to whom? Certainly not Memphis. One of the four of the core will probably go by the end of the season. I can see them paying the LT once, but not over the next 3 years. It would be VERY unusual and highly unlikely that Zach Randolph would be moved before the deadline. We have one of the best frontcourts in the NBA and the tandem of Marc and ZBo make that happen. Finding a weak replacement for Rudy's athleticism (? SF) and a 3 point shooter would be key to any deal; plus a pick.

Hawkeye15
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM

Because he just wasn't that good early in his career, and was a guy who played for the name on the back of his jersey versus the front? That is why its so hard for me to put him with the elite PF's, but man, he has been playing like one for a few years now.

I do somewhat agree with your Josh Smith idea though, it retains flexibility.

mzgrizz
01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Whichever team puts up the SF, 2 guard that can knock down 3's with efficiency and has a pick will be "the trade"

Verbal Christ
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Fair to whom? Certainly not Memphis. One of the four of the core will probably go by the end of the season. I can see them paying the LT once, but not over the next 3 years. It would be VERY unusual and highly unlikely that Zach Randolph would be moved before the deadline. We have one of the best frontcourts in the NBA and the tandem of Marc and ZBo make that happen. Finding a weak replacement for Rudy's athleticism (? SF) and a 3 point shooter would be key to any deal; plus a pick.

i dont disagree with any of that. i was surprised when reports surfaced that the grizz were shopping all these players. hard to believe but if the owner is hell bent on NOT paying the tax what can you do? its a big *** contract to absorb and how many teams have all those ramifications that you feel are needed (ahleticism,shooting, CAP SPACE) you start to limit your options. randolph is 31. he's not a 20/10 guy this year. will he be next year? hard to say. you have to start being realistic and note that you NEVER get fair market value when you dont have leverage because quite honestly there isnt a big 'zach randolph' feeding frenzy going on. could the rockets use him? certainly. do they have the assets and cap space and future considerations needed. yes they do. if a revamped guess on a deal then to satisfy your need of athletcism and 3 point shooing then pattrick patterson/carlos delfino/terrance jones and picks could be a possbility using you parameters. (even though i'd hate to give up terrance jones)

mzgrizz
01-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Just passed the convention center and there's a 50 foot image of ZBo on one of the sides of the building. No one gets the same love from Memphis fans ,casual or die hard , than he does. Tinkering with that right now would be a huge PR mistake. Just saying. I hear you about his age but he's still leading the league in double doubles and we've played 3-4 games fewer than most.

sep11ie
01-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Just passed the convention center and there's a 50 foot image of ZBo on one of the sides of the building. No one gets the same love from Memphis fans ,casual or die hard , than he does. Tinkering with that right now would be a huge PR mistake. Just saying. I hear you about his age but he's still leading the league in double doubles and we've played 3-4 games fewer than most.

Cleveland had one of those for a former player a few years ago.

LongWayFromHome
01-20-2013, 06:50 PM

don't you mean it would be great for houston if they manage to include Lin in the deal?

TaylorMays
01-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Morey would save his job for sure if he gets Randolph!

Why would Morey get fired? The rockets are in their best situation in a very long time

Blitzbolt
01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
No way if they do this they would have to fire coach Hollins first and ZBO is a fan favorite and big reason why People go see Grizz games so trading him to a division team would be the worst thing to do.

No way this happens.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-20-2013, 07:19 PM

I love that starting 5.

bucketss
01-20-2013, 07:27 PM

t.williams,morris,greg smith,patt,delfino,montjunas,aldrich. they have some good young pieces to offer.

HouRealCoach
01-20-2013, 07:30 PM
I think they should make a run at Dwight in the offseason... If it fails, then you make a trade

justinnum1
01-20-2013, 09:41 PM
can memphis trade gay to orlando for the orlando's TPE and then orlando trade reddick to memphis for their tpe?

thrice4
01-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Just don't see why Parsons would be part of any trade

MrfadeawayJB
01-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Royce White for Z-BO :drool:

mzgrizz
01-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Cleveland had one of those for a former player a few years ago.

Ah, yes, but that one CHOSE to leave. ZBo has stated many times in word and deed that he wants to stay in Memphis.

HowFit
01-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Wow, if this happens...

mzgrizz
01-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Stop with the kool aid already

KniCks4LiFe
01-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Stop with the kool aid already

we're treating it as serious b/c Alex Kennedy is a respected source. It's not like the SAS who is sources this, sources that. It's not like Jared Rudolph, Dwight will or won't. So until further notice if this happens it's a coop. But I don't see it happening b/c the Grizz's would be dumb to break up that Gasol and Z-Bo tandem, they are 2 of the best playoff post passing/scoring/rebounding bigs in the league and they make their FTs. So I don't see it. Unless they want to do it so that next yr. they pair Gasol w/ someone else. But IDK who Hollinger has in mind.

c.c.
01-20-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm not too thrilled about this, I would rather wait til this off season and go after Millsap or Jefferson

KniCks4LiFe
01-20-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm not too thrilled about this, I would rather wait til this off season and go after Millsap or Jefferson

I like Milsap over Jefferson for you. But they both aren't what Z-Bo would give on his mediocore day on their best day.

mzgrizz
01-20-2013, 11:56 PM
we're treating it as serious b/c Alex Kennedy is a respected source. It's not like the SAS who is sources this, sources that. It's not like Jared Rudolph, Dwight will or won't. So until further notice if this happens it's a coop. But I don't see it happening b/c the Grizz's would be dumb to break up that Gasol and Z-Bo tandem, they are 2 of the best playoff post passing/scoring/rebounding bigs in the league and they make their FTs. So I don't see it. Unless they want to do it so that next yr. they pair Gasol w/ someone else. But IDK who Hollinger has in mind.

I hear ya but it may be deliberate misinformation

torocan
01-21-2013, 01:28 AM
I hear ya but it may be deliberate misinformation

Which is why they're called "trade rumors". :)

And given how bizarre the last off season was (Dwight, Nash, Asik, Harden, Lin, etc), I'm not sure anything would surprise me any more.

I mean really, how many people would have put Nash to the Lakers as even a 1% probability prior to last off season? I sure didn't...

mzgrizz
01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Which is why they're called "trade rumors". :)

And given how bizarre the last off season was (Dwight, Nash, Asik, Harden, Lin, etc), I'm not sure anything would surprise me any more.

I mean really, how many people would have put Nash to the Lakers as even a 1% probability prior to last off season? I sure didn't...

Lol you are right. Sometimes I forget they are rumors but where there is smoke and $$$ , there may be a fire.
Just not ZBo please !!!

Chronz
01-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Because he just wasn't that good early in his career, and was a guy who played for the name on the back of his jersey versus the front? That is why its so hard for me to put him with the elite PF's, but man, he has been playing like one for a few years now.

I do somewhat agree with your Josh Smith idea though, it retains flexibility.

I think it has more to do with my hatred for him.

Still rather have Milsap (If Im Houston)

hugepatsfan
01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Just don't see why Parsons would be part of any trade

Probably because Z-Bo is a really good player and MEM would want good players back.

Chronz
01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Probably because Z-Bo is a really good player and MEM would want good players back.

Yea I think thats where both teams see the middle ground. For the ROX its a clear upgrade at a position of weakness for the cost of a prospect at a bargain salary at a position they hope they can fill more easily. Dont know if Morey pulls the trigger on his experiment but it kind of reminds me of all those years the Bulls held on to their "core" and not going all out after Gasol when he was available. Only Z-Bo aint at the peak of his abilities anymore.

mzgrizz
01-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Yea I think thats where both teams see the middle ground. For the ROX its a clear upgrade at a position of weakness for the cost of a prospect at a bargain salary at a position they hope they can fill more easily. Dont know if Morey pulls the trigger on his experiment but it kind of reminds me of all those years the Bulls held on to their "core" and not going all out after Gasol when he was available. Only Z-Bo aint at the peak of his abilities anymore.

No, he's certainly not. Isn't he still leading the league in double doubles? Although today was not an exemplary game for the old fella.